1,032 reviews

1,032 reviews
  • Industry: Higher Education Software

Frustrating Software That You Have to Bend to Your Needs

Reviewed on 2021-02-03

Workfront was designed to allow us to track time and build support queues. The goal was to have one system that could be modified to many different teams.

Pros

The time tracking functionality is really good. It breaks out time by day and by project / task. It's easy to generate reports based on the breakdown, not only for personal use but also for management.

Cons

The software is so incredibly frustrating. it is powerful, but only if you're really willing to sit with it and forecefully bend it to your needs. Some of the decisions they made in software design and logic, literally make no sense. some things are intuitive, and then other things aren't intuitive at all. I think for me the biggest issue is lack of consistency with ease of use and the product itself. It also gets confusing with the different levels and their hierarchical order, which I think even they get lost in sometimes themselves. There is a community of users, and I will say that the official help documentation has improved greatly over the past few years. But a lot of it was trial and error. The only reason I was involved is because higher management had made the decision to use this product without really considering the users and the rollout team.

Heather O.
  • Industry: Environmental Services

Workfront

Reviewed on 2019-05-07

Workfront is our go-to. We have someone needing something we send them to submit their need through Workfront. IF someone needs to review or approval something, we send it through Workfront. That way we have a trail of information of why we did the things we did or went with the project(s). Its the paper trail. It also took us from having 2-3 hour long status meetings every week to one 30 minute meeting sometimes every week or so. We can summarize much better than running through a multiple page document spreadsheet. It has saved us time and sanity.

Pros

I am able to add all my projects and tasks into one location so that my team is aware of what I am working on and my clients can see where their project stands. This is very helpful in case something happens, we often say, if we get hit by "the bus" someone will know where my project is and what to do next.

Cons

It was a rough start. The account rep(s) that we have had were not very good at making sure we were happy as a customer or if we had a need. Since we got our remote system admin, it has been amazing. We love our rep!

Rebecca L.
  • Industry: Events Services

Planning software that helps us get the job done

Reviewed on 2019-09-06

A great tool, I love the ease of use and the time it has saved my team!

Pros

We have produced hundreds of events and this software is essential to keeping us on time and on budget. The entire company uses it for everything from resource planning, event workflows and automated approvals, to our company-wide operations calendar and staffing. Being able to create customized dashboards to track, in real time, the progress of all of our ongoing projects has led to increased collaboration across our teams and given us time back to focus on our clients. I like the streamlined document proofing capabilities which allows us to eliminate major bottlenecks and reduce unnecessary paper – it all lives in the platform!

Every event is different, and the nimble functionality of the platform allows an adaptable environment for our clients while still tracking the necessary metrics of success. The reporting capabilities is terrific, very robust, and most importantly, easy to use. It has everything we need, and even things we didn't know we needed!

Cons

Because the platform is so robust there is a healthy learning curve for new employees, dedication to training and maintenance across the full company is needed for successful adoption.

Marta B.
  • Industry: Machinery

Not only for nerds

Reviewed on 2019-06-03

Simply brilliant. It has changed the way my team goes around the daily tasks and how we can find the answers to our stakeholders' questions.

Pros

Easiness of configuring and implementing even by a person who is not an IT expert. Great online courses and articles library have helped a lot on making the in-house implementation smooth.

Cons

There aren't things I really didn't like but I remember seeing the application for the first time and having an overwhelming feeling about too many functions and tabs - that's until i've learned what they are for and howe to use them.

Angela S.
  • Industry: Management Consulting

Growing and Learning into Workfront

Reviewed on 2015-09-08

Pros

Being able to track the approvals on a document is amazing. Prior to Workfront we were keeping track of this via emails and CCing everyone and their supervisors to get responses. Now the system says in "black and white" where approvals are at for all of our documents. I also really like the ability to re-assign tasks to team members on the fly when someone is out sick or preparing to go on vacation. Since I am one of our system administrators I have access to the help desk and the service I have received for the few issues I have submitted has been attentive and friendly. I also like that Workfront encourages their customers to submit product ideas.

Cons

I'm still learning the product - I'm by no means an expert at this point, but one of the items myself and my fellow admins have been struggling with is the process of developing templates and learning/teaching resources for this are limited. If this aspect of the product was a little more simplified, we could be even more productive.

Deana B.
  • Company size: 501-1,000 Employees

Great software for team accountability

Reviewed on 2019-09-30

The main reason our company is using Workfront is so that the creative department can log hours against specific projects. This allows our company to track the time it takes to complete a project or task against how much we are being paid for that project. I have been pleased with the ease of use to track my hours, plus it gives me reason to contact our account services department when jobs are not in the system. It has brought a higher level of job accountability to our company.

Pros

The thing I like most about this software is that I can immediately see at-a-glance what my workflow is and the status of the projects I am working on.

Cons

Unfortunately, this software allows too much latitude for user error. This could be in part to how our company has it set up which is a whole different issue entirely. I would love to see more prompts to let the user know that they have input information incorrectly and/or information is missing.

Xavier G.

Great Project Management software with improvements on the way

Reviewed on 2015-11-21

Working in an in-house marketing department, we have been using Workfront for three years to manage our projects and operations. We need overall visibility on all the activities of our department, plus a powerful collaboration platform.

Our main aim using Workfront is to manage the capacity vs workload of our department and to be able to forecast the demand.

Workfront is fulfilling our basic needs, but we feel that there is a lack of ability to create clear dashboards or to have a better visibility of critical task between multiple projects at the same time (which happens when several campaigns overlap).

There are other points to improve (see Cons below), but it seems that folks at Workfront are committed to improve those areas and correct the product weaknesses.

PROS:

Logging hours is not painful, there are several choices to input them.

The collaboration features are very good: comments, sharing if documents, approvals...

Work requests via assignments are clear and provide accountability.

Integrated document proofing and versioning is a must for any creative department and this one works really well.

Workfront support is quick and responses are elaborated, always providing a workaround if there isn't a functionality to match your need.

CONS:

Reporting is a bit limited; while basic reporting is completely fulfilled and you can present the information in clear graphs, when you try to create complex relations (historic vs forecast, capacity vs demand) things get more complicated, there are limitations and you need workarounds to obtain the desired (or closest to the desired) information.

Sharing of information is cumbersome; although you can send automatic reports by email, it's difficult to distribute more elaborated pieces of information.

Resource management is limited; there are tools in the system, but they are not intuitive and are a legacy of previous versions of the system.

Learning curve is steep, it doesn't take much time to get familiarised with the common request-collaborate actions (which most of the users will do), but it needs much time and training to carry out actual project management processes within the system.

Monique E.

• Customer Support Software

Customization ability is a blessing and curse, but overall blessing

Reviewed on 2017-04-11

My team uses WorkFront exclusively to manage roughly 4000+ projects a year. I absolutely love that the system is so robust that we can built and customize it to anything we desire. However the ideas we have sometimes are so grand that we find ourselves running into new problems (high class problems). Fortunately the WorkFront Support team is amazing and they assist whenever we run into a pickle. They even provide better ways for efficiency and easier solutions

Pros

Workfront can be integrated with other systems you already use for maximum cross-functioning. Also the reporting and metrics are out of this world, I've reported on things I didn't even know we captured.

Cons

WorkFront does has it's limits and some of them are only found after you start diving deeper into the system. Also it can be hard to find where some things are, seem to be a little hidden. Also some features don't exist that should.

Stephanie D.

the DBA journey

Reviewed on 2019-05-07

Pros

- Finally having MOST of our stuff in one place! No more disconnected systems that don't talk to one another! (SO excited about the Google integration!)
- The flexibility to customize per our individual needs (custom forms, queues, approvals)
- Reporting and dashboards! We've recently discovered how to make reports into custom dashboards for different teams and needs in our system and it's amazing!

Cons

- In-system notifications can be very overwhelming. It would be great to somehow combine or aggregate multiple notifications about one task or issue into a single notification
- I've recently really been struggling with not being able to create reports with fields from tasks, issues and projects.
- Text mode editing is SO frustrating lol.

Bill G.
  • Industry: Banking

We love Workfront

Reviewed on 2015-04-22

Our Internal Agency group has been using Workfront/ AtTask coming up on 3 years. We started with 50 users and at last count, we were over 130.
It has become an indispensable tool for request intake, project creation and management, reporting, resource management and cost tracking. Prior to implementation, we had a 4 person Traffic department that had to utilize 3 different platforms to track creative requests. We were always behind and our on-time rate for projects was hit or miss. Very frustrating. Within weeks of implementing AtTask we were able to easily manage all of our requests (approx. 150 per month) and track thousands of hours of task time on various creative requests. Our Traffic team is now down to 1 FTE generating more information and tracking more requests than we could ever have imagined.
The software has passed through 3 major iterations and improvements come down the pipe to us each month. The company is responsive to our needs and requests. This is not the cheapest solution out there but it is a terrific value!

Pros

- I can't imagine any large enterprise that would be too big to use Workfront. Properly configured, it can handle any size and number of projects
- easy to learn, easy to use. Adoption by new users is quick and worry free. 20 minutes training gets a new user up and running
- reporting tools are awesome.
- the ability to adapt this software to any kind of process make it useful across many areas. We are finding new ways to use it each month.
- the collaboration part of each project makes it comfortable for all to use. Everyone sees everything in one place
- SAAS makes it available anywhere there is WiFi

Cons

- it is an expensive solution for small companies.
- some nomenclature is confusing
- some of their processes are a bit clunky but they are being re-worked continually

Sandra O.

• Customer Support Software

Has a steep learning curve.

Reviewed on 2018-07-14

Pros

Workfront is easy to customize to meet our needs and easy to navigate too. I am notified when tasks are assigned to me and I am also able to drop comments on each task,ensuring everyone stays on the same page and other team members can easily continue tasks I have not completed ,in my absence.
I like how I am able to integrate Workfront with Outlook and this has made it possible for me to receive updates on projects ,tasks and team comments in real time via my email.

Cons

Has a steep learning curve and for new users who have little or no experience with similar project management tool ,they are bound to spend months before fully understanding all functionalities of this tool.

• Industry: Insurance Software

Workfront, Great until it's not

Reviewed on 2018-11-13

I like workfront, and I would recommend it to someone that was looking for a good software management tool. But, the issue with the search can be very frustrating and take a lot more time to look up a project when trying to refer back to something.

Pros

I use Workfront every day in my marketing job, and it keeps our different projects very organized with the ability to customize each project and its "tasks" to every different type of marketing campaign we are executing.

Cons

Sometimes, Workfronts search features can be a real pain. We have a specific # for each job/campaign that we create. Lately I've been having issue with Workfront not strategically looking up the job #. I will type in the job number (take example - 123ABC). Instead of looking for the number in that order (123ABC), it will pull up ANY job that has ANY of those digits/letters. It makes the search process in the job very difficult.

Megan C.
  • Industry: Insurance Software

Best PM Software for Creative Marketing Teams

Reviewed on 2018-11-29

Workfront has an exceptionally good customer success program. From solution specialists to user forums and beyond, you are supported throughout.

Pros

Workfront offers the best suite of services, automations and support for the creative marketing organization. I recommend it for high volume production management, both planned and unplanned. The client management tools are excellent and keep WIPs from escaping too soon. The performance data is easy to capture and customize.

Cons

This is not an easy solution, but it is the best. That means the creative organziation is going to have to invest time and money into implementation and training. Marketing managers will need training on the client side, too.

Shannon C.
  • Industry: Financial Services Software

Workflow Management and More

Reviewed on 2019-05-07

Overall Workfront has helped our organization by helping to create a repeatable process with workflows to teams we've chosen. We can now differentiate between low complexity and med/high complexity work. We can measure incoming work because ALL work comes in as a task. Workfront serves as the one source of truth to find marketing work and final files. Hours are now measurable, ready to start tasks by team or department are easy to view. API usage has tremendously enhanced our experience as well.

Pros

The customizability of the platform is amazing. Based on the functionality of the tool, we created customized request queues and forms, and customized project templates for a consistent process. All work flows from an initial request and ends with project completion. Assignments are easily made due to the preassigned job roles on each task in templates. Also, the reporting feature is fantastic. We create reports and dashboards for Team Leads, Requesters, Workers, Executives to show them the data that's meaningful to them.

Cons

User experience is a problem for us. Depending on the job someone is doing, using the tool correctly can be confusing. We've had to change the process to stop using issues because users couldnt remember to create the issues on a task level but put them on a project level. These issues were then hidden and timelines not altered by the issue. Users have a hard time with understanding documents on a task vs documents on a project level. This caused a lot of problems in our organization so we changed our process to move task documents tab from the higher level and instruct users to only use documents on a project level. Timeline maintenance is also a major issue for our teams. Project Managers who own 70 projects cannot adjust timelines on the daily. As an organization we do not want to use projected completion date because it has given workers the idea that tasks were still on time although they were quite late. We rely solely on the task Planned Start and Planned Completion dates. Finally, since we use documents on the project level only, users must remember to work in documents then go to the task to mark it complete. There should be a popup on documents that when you version the document or make an update on the document level a popup will ask if you want to mark a task complete so users can complete the task while in the document area.

• Industry: Investment Management Software
  • Company size: 5,001-10,000 Employees

It's worth a look, but missing a few key features for myself

Reviewed on 2018-08-19

Pros

I used to think Workfront was terrible, until I tried other enterprise level project management software. I'm not saying it's the best, far from it, but I think you start to appreciate it more after you realize what a herculean task it is to track everything. It does a decent job of letting you know what you're responsible for, with helpful email notifications so you don't need to always be in the tool. And once you get those notifications it's easy to respond directly in email or link to the project/task at hand and respond or make changes there. The really killer feature is the proofing tool, which despite some grumbling is one of the best out there. It allows commenting and markups of all types and allows you to do so in context. It also does versioning of the proofs, which is super helpful to go back to to remember what was marked up prior or changed. All in all it gets the job done but it's not particularly a pleasure to use, other than the proofing tool.

Cons

Not the most user friendly or aesthetic. The dashboard could use some better UX. I tried out a beta of the new dashboard and that was even worse, glad they didn't roll it out. The one big negative is the lack of a proper calendar module. I heard that one exists but for version my company uses, we don't have anything remotely resembling a calendar view. This is so helpful to me to get a view of milestones and deadlines coming up, without having to do the mental gymnastics of looking at a list view of tasks and figuring out what my priorities are. While the proofing tool is amazing (see pros) it does have a couple of missing features. One is the ability to mark comments as completed or resolved without having to do a response, and the only is to somehow create a linear history and relationship of the markups through the versioning system, so you see the evolution of them. Also, the whole idea of creating percentages done of a task seems so arbitrary to me. Even my company doesn't take much stock in it. We basically leave things at 0% until we absolutely need to mark things as 100% complete in order to not risk being at risk or to move on to the next task that's dependent on the prior one.

Alexandra S.
  • Industry: Chemicals

• Customer Support Software

With the use of Workfront we have streamlined our processes and met all project deadlines.

Reviewed on 2018-05-01

Reporting and allocations metrics. Projects are managed by a system that standardizes processes. With the use of Workfront we have identified efficiencies, streamlined our processes and met all project deadlines.

Pros

Cons

When trying to onboard new users I've created tools and emails. I'll schedule meetings to answer any questions but will come across issues with comprehension of the platform. The management of duration dates have proven to be a troublesome for project owners. I will always do a "clean up sweep" .

Jennifer C.
  • Industry: Staffing & Recruiting

So customizable, you'll cry

Reviewed on 2019-05-07

Hands down, your support team kills it. Lloyd Brown is RHE BEST person on the other end of the phone that I have worked with in the last 10 years. Customer support and help resources is through the roof. Overall, I have mind-melded with Workfront to the point that I don't remember what life was like without it. Keep on improving, never stop learning.

Pros

It's very flexible-- you can make it do almost anything and if not, there's text mode. Workfront proof is so much better than emailing massive PDFs around.

Cons

You can make it do almost anything...really, anything. But the question is, "should you?". It's really easy to over-customize. Make sure you have a really good governance plan and stick to it. You need to resist the urge to beat the machine and make it do that thing you "absolutely can't live without", for your project manager's sanity.

Katy G.

• Customer Support Software

Workfront for the in house creative team

Reviewed on 2019-05-07

This is the fourth project management software that I have worked with and by far Workfront offers the most features and the best ability to grow. Workfront it's self is constantly growing and offering new products and solutions, but my company can grow as well with how we use workfront and the information we can organize with it.

Pros

I really like the implementation set up process. A Workfront team member worked with us to really understand our process and how best to customize our set up for the most efficient views and forms for our work.

Cons

Honestly - the help site and it's articles it too vast. When I have a topic I search for I end up going down a rabbit hole to find answers and I come up with an unclear answer. My solution for this is to call customer support and they are very fast to direct me in the right direction.

Sarah N.

Workfront Dreamer

Reviewed on 2019-05-07

Our company started using Workfront to manage the intake of new apartment complexes into our ownership/management. That was 6 years ago. Now, we have most processes for the company in Workfront, including internal marketing, HR recruiting, tax processes and financial reviews. When I work so much in Workfront that I dream about it, I wake up with a smile on my face.

Pros

It is a great way to organize lots of project management information in one place and have capabilities to report on them.

Cons

Reporting options could be more robust and I usually feel like I know more about Workfront than the people assigned to any tickets I open so I really have to rely on the community for support.

David G.
  • Industry: Pharmaceuticals

• Customer Support Software

collaborative cloud based platform for truly transformative work

Reviewed on 2019-06-03

See above - marketing processes and operations transformed by our adoption, implementation and daily use of WorkFront

Pros

It is indeed our system of record for all marketing work.
System provides full transparency,(thus also help with accountability) but importantly enables collaborative working across several organisations - we do not just use WorkFront within ICOn but with our agencies - it's truly a collaborative cloud based work platform that has driven greater efficiency and output, which in turn has helped undermine greater marketing impact.

Cons

UI can be confusing .

Laura P.
  • Industry: Design

Workfront Review

Reviewed on 2019-06-03

We have noticed a considerable improvement in collaboration across teams

Pros

I like the ability for multiple users to have full visibility of projects, tasks and timelines and to loop in other stakeholders as necessary. We have also made great use of the ability to proof and approve documents using the proofing tool and using the DAM for finalising pieces of collateral.

Cons

It feels like reports and dashboards are overly detailed and cumbersome to achieve. Also distilling email notifications into what people actually need can also be difficult.

John A.

• Customer Support Software

Best PPM software available today.

Reviewed on 2018-08-06

Best PPM Software available regardless of industry. The collaboration capabilities separate it from it's competition.

Pros

Ease of entering projects while offering full-featured capabilities. Workfront understands the need to enter tasks in quickly without too much overhead, yet the software still supports a wide-range of capability regarding task and project configuration.

Cons

Reporting capabilities are still a bit limited when compared to how much other parts of the software have been continuously improved. Nothing that exporting to Excel and creating pivot charts can't solve.

Megan C.
  • Industry: Financial Services Software

New Workfront Admin

Reviewed on 2019-05-07

So far its been a great learning experience. A lot of really great reporting can be created, however it can be tricky to learn how to get the information you want. It can also be hard to implement certain processes in workfront, due to internal workfront procedures. Overall, good product, and can't wait to see how much more user friendly it can become.

Pros

I like all the different reports I can create, and how I can customize views easily for my team. Once I learned how to make dashboards and reports, I have become the report/dashboard guru for my team.

Cons

Having to use text mode in reporting to get the results I want to see. The standard reporting mode can't do cross reporting among different objects - for example: task reporting and project reporting in one report. The resource planner is also not working the way our team wants to report hours - your hours only show up if you are assigned to a task.

• Industry: Biotechnology

Super Intuitive, Highly Recommended

Reviewed on 2019-05-07

Our projects are at a much better place with less chaos and ambiguity when it comes to timelines and tasks status. I couldn't imagine working as a project manager without Workfront.

Pros

Coming from using vastly inferior, headache driven tools, Workfront was a breathe of fresh air. The tool is very user-friendly, and highly customizable to fit any business needs.

Cons

Our company is a high-level power user, so we sometimes stretch the uses and functionality to the max, hopefully Workfront can continue to keep up with providing new and improved features.

Sunita B.
  • Industry: Logistics & Supply Chain

A Must Have Software!!

Reviewed on 2018-10-31

Pros

Ours is a logistics company and we are having warehouses and port handling activities at different locations.
With the help of Workfront software, we are able to easily assign tasks and activities to our personnel located at different offices.
We are also able to keep track of the progress of the tasks assigned to the employees. And if any task is lagging from its original time path then we are able to take corrective actions accordingly.
This software saves time that was wasted in calls and mails communication explaining all the task details. This is very easy to use and very user friendly.
Helps to plan, assign, track and improve the project progress.
Thank you Workfront! Thumbs up!

Cons

I feel that the reporting suite is bit restricted. It should provide more freedom to users. Rest the software is really good.