1,315 reviews

Semrush

SaaS solution for online content marketing

4.7 /5 (1315 reviews) Write a Review!

1,315 reviews
Tom V.

After 4 years being a customer this company rips me off

Reviewed on 2020-11-11

I feel ripped off by Semrush. We are customers already for 4 years. We always have enough with one user. Now, we have been loggin in, by accident, from a few different locations. This is because of remote working due to corona and it was unclear in the team who was responsible for Semrush. Now is our account suspended, which I can understand. But the only 'solution' is that I have to buy a €540 extra user. But wo do not need that! I told them this was an accident and that one user is enough for us. Which it always has been for 4 years. But we can only get our account back with paying 540€. And a refund of the unused service is also not possible. This feels like bribery. [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] was 'helping' me, but only offering me this upsell that I do not need. It is a shame to be treated like this after being a loyal customer for 4 years. I will recommend other potential customers SeRanking. It is much cheaper, has almost the same features and they will not rip you off with unwanted upsells. Shame!

Pros

It has a lot of features, in dept analysis.

Cons

It is expensive and there are quiet a few other, much cheaper alternatives where the customer service doesn't rip you off!

Response from SEMrush

Hi Tom, thank you for your review. We have investigated the situation - it seems like multiple users logged in from different locations under your account for 3 times, which triggered our security system, and we sent several warnings before your account was blocked. We kindly remind you that by default, the account only includes 1 user, adding extra seats is a paid option. As far as we know, you account was unblocked by the team after finding out that your team logged in accidentally from different locations. If you still have any questions, please email us at [email protected] and we will be happy to answer them!

Julian R.
  • Industry: Leisure, Travel & Tourism

• Customer Support Software

We’re new to it but we’re slowly falling in love

Reviewed on 2021-02-17

Pros

Easy to use and accurate. I like that it actively helps you get to where you want to go from your current performance and not just bland reporting where you have to figure out what could be wrong.

Cons

Bit of a learning curve to get around the UI but once you’re up and trained it’s like riding a bike

Vasilis S.

Rank with Semrush

Reviewed on 2021-02-23

Let's suppose you have a blog. You are adding information and content, but you have no traffic and no idea where you exist in search engines.
Semrush TOGETHER with a SEO Optimiser like Yoast SEO and better with Gramarly, will give you immediately a 'map' where you rank and what to do.
This is a good tool, not so many 'how to do SEO' articles like Ahrefs, but really OK.
However - don't expect to see results fast. You will be happy to see that your page exist in google, even in top 20 for a keyword, your rank grow from 0.16 to 0.17 , and your estimated traffic is 0.002 visits / month!

Pros

Semrush has a huge database for keyword search. However, there are many cases the Magic Keyword Tool doesn't bring results even for not-so-long-tail or unusual keywords.
If you want to rank your website fast this is a correct tool with reasonable price. Daily reports show your best ranking pages. Then you can fine-tune text to help your best pages to go up in Google Top 3,10,20 and top 100.
That can be done further with other tools like Yoast Seo. There are some features inside Semrush but much more expensive so I didn't try them.
Semrush is giving you as many crawls as you want a serious edge above competition.
A newer feature are proposed ideas to rank better. Although in my cases, most of the proposals are not realistic, they are good as guideline and some are applicable. At the end, these are suggestions, not an autopilot system to rank.
As usual you have to know your business.
Another important feature is backlink builder, proposing you thousands of sites to build your links based from the backlinks of your competitors.
I can definitely tell you that most of those proposed links are really impossible to build. Either coming from friends, or from advertorials or irrelevant sites. But again this is a positive list you may filter and use.
Here is an internal "organiser'" allowing you to mark whatever you consider important, and the way to build your backling ie, call owner, post comment etc.
There are many features, even in the starter plan 99$+vat / montly

Cons

Daily reports are giving errors that are not errors and someone needs to know the site well to understand .
There is also a robots.txt report error, that I found it was not really an error of the site.
The Keyword Difficulty tool, is impressive but (in my case ) never gave me a useful information.
That is becasue, the 'easy to rank ' keywords, don't have traffic.
The keywords with traffic are all red - practically impossible to rank
And the middle list of medium difficulty is empty - not even long tail words are there.
That is a serious problem with the tool.

Jay B.
  • Industry: Legal Services

Nice SEM tool to have

Reviewed on 2020-11-20

SEMrush is all rounder in terms of Search Engine Marketing tool. Interface is similar to Google Analytics and easy to use. They have rolled out couple of regular tool updates every year. Very helpful articles in Knowledge Base. They do have some advance SEO and PPC features but very limited in terms of data especially Backlink Audit. If someone from search marketing looking for one for all tool (SEO, PPC, Competition Analysis) then it's an good option. However, if someone looking for a special tool for a particular job such as Backlink analysis and acquisition then look for alternative tools.

Pros

Good UI (Similar to Google Analytics)
Feature rich
Easy to Use
Free trial period
Competitive Research

Cons

Backlink Audit is not showing all the links
Position Tracking a bit inaccurate
Log files doesn't support .log format

Response from SEMrush

Hi Jay, thank you for the detailed review! happy to know you enjoy the tools and are ready to recommend them. Please contact us at [email protected] for any question on the tools - we'll be happy to help you!

Steve Z.

Best Product for Everything Related to SEM

Reviewed on 2020-10-12

SEMrush has definitely allowed me to be more efficient with my work and took my company to the next level. I can do everything in one "stop". Research, tracking, reporting and more, all rolled into one.

Pros

Everything we need is in one place, I don't have to bounce around to different programs for different purposes. There are improvements and new features added all the time. The few times I've had a problem or question, support is very quick to answer/resolve it and then follow up a week later to make sure everything's working as it should.

Cons

I can't think of any cons, it just works as advertised.

Response from SEMrush

Hi Steve, thank you so much for your review! We are happy to know you enjoy SEMrush tools!

Mary A.

Easiest and Most Robust Option

Reviewed on 2020-10-12

Great. Easy to use, easy to roll out, easy to adopt team-wide.

Pros

So easy to use. When we decided to make the switch company-wide earlier this year I was happy to see that there were so many educational resources for our teams to easily get onboarded. They all picked it up quickly and the transition has been smooth. Our old SEO tool lacked many of the features SEMRush has, so the team has been excited to start playing with all the new things and we're even creating new deliverables for our clients because of these new features.

Cons

The API documentation could be better. Part of the reason we switched to SEMRush was the ability to use the API for much of our reporting. It's frustrating that you cannot download organic research time series data from the UI into a csv and that the only API option is for a full domain, not per url or subdirectory. The documentation of the API was also quite frustrating as we had to decode what some of the abbreviations meant.

Marlyn G.
  • Industry: Management Consulting
  • Company size: 1,001-5,000 Employees

• Customer Support Software

An excellent tool for SEO and online metrics

Reviewed on 2020-06-14

Semrush is a platform that has helped us analyze where we are compared to the competition, the metrics and data it provides are useful to know how it can be improved to have greater visibility of the web, another function that handles very well Semrush is the keyword group, this makes our work easier. Semrush is always in constant training; they offer webinars that help us have a better idea of how to use Semrush tools in a better way, there is a whole group of experts behind this platform that help to improve the experience in the matter of SEO.

Pros

Semrush is an excellent marketing tool to measure data and make decisions based on it, something that I consider positive is its price, compared to the competition it is cheap considering all the tools it has. Semrush is an excellent tool to analyze technical issues with a website and see if SEO is working correctly, and in this way determine our priorities. Something I like about Semrush is that it helps me to identify which backlinks we have and Identify which are the best sources of traffic and which ones we want on our website. I consider Semrush to be an excellent tool to track online visibility and, in this way we measure our online positioning compared to the competition.

Cons

Although it is an excellent platform with multiple functions, it takes time to adapt since its interface is not very intuitive to say. Some features are difficult to find, and that takes time to know where they are; this is time-consuming since you have to search and Learn where they are. For someone who is using it for the first time is a bit difficult since it has to adapt to the platform. In conclusion, the user experience is complex for someone who uses it for the first time.

Response from SEMrush

Thank you so much Marlyn for writing this great review. We really appreciate your feedback about our tool.

Calin H.

• Customer Support Software

I've used this in a few different positions working on a wide range of SEO campaigns.

Reviewed on 2018-05-30

It really is a great one-stop-shop for all your SEO and PPC tools which is fantastic. So if you're looking for an easy package to cover most all of your digital marketing needs then this is really about the best that you can do.

Pros

This is about the best all-around SEO software that you can find. It does a good job at about everything and doesn't have a lot of weaknesses. The competitive analysis is really the best reason to buy the software, it's comprehensive and gives you a good look at potential competitors. There are always new features being added and tested which is fantastic and gives the software good value. Some features are better than others, but the audit and competitive analysis really are fantastic. I've used the software in various forms including Business, Guru and free. The free version gives you a taste, but the full experience is generally worth the money. Guru is worth the extra money over Pro as it gives you branded reports and the ability to manage quite a few more projects. Exports and reoccurring reports are very nice and simple to set up.

Overall, this is a great tool for SEO and PPC campaigns. If you need an all-in-one type software solution then I would recommend SEMrush as it's probably the most well-rounded tool you can find.

Cons

If you're looking for rank tracking then I'd suggest looking elsewhere, it's a little wonky and not as easy to use as other rank tracking solutions. However, if you don't want to buy multiple pieces of software then the rank tracker will get the job done. The software is kind of a 'jack of all trades, master of none'; so you'll be able to get by with just this as your main piece of software, but if you want something a little more specialized then you should probably look elsewhere. You might end up not using a lot of the tools because there is so much to explore, but most of the tools that are there are pretty valuable. Other than that, some of the reports need some extra interpretation if you are going to present them to a client which isn't optimal but is understandable.

• Customer Support Software

Wow talk about an SEO applocation

Reviewed on 2020-09-25

I find something new everyday with this tool. However I will admit I still find navigating this tool tricky and the amount of features overwhelming.

Pros

I do like the organic position dashboard, the backlink audit and backlink requests tool, the content readbility scores and the keyword magic tool is kinda cool.

Cons

Not sure about the accuracy of the Paid advertising tool, seo audit tool and the reports are really not too robust.

Response from SEMrush

Hi, thank you for your review! Great to hear you discover new opportunities with the tool. I have also passed your feedback on the reports and UX/UI to the corresponding teams.

Grant B.

Full Marketing Suite

Reviewed on 2020-10-12

Overall a very powerful tool. Great customer service.

Pros

SEMrush has everything in one place. It has some great stand alone features like gap analysis, content template and writing assistant and the domain analytics we use daily for research. Then within a project you get a great site audit that touches on a lot of technical items, position tracking with several set up options for tracking via city, zip, etc. You can track mobile, tablet, desktop, organic and local. The backlink audit is helpful in keeping an eye on your sites backlink profile and the link building tool is helpful in tracking your continued link building efforts.

Cons

Set up can be a bit over whelming as is the amount of features. However, over time you will pick all of it up and continue to learn more. We have been using the tool for over 2 years now and I am still surprised by features I come across or different ways of using them.

Robin H.

• Customer Support Software

A must have for digital marketers

Reviewed on 2019-12-03

It is a great product that really helps you become proficient at SEO. If there is one thing your small business needs to have it is SEMrush. There are trainings and learning modules are helpful alongside though provoking webinars to make sure you stay up to date with trends. Learning the ui takes time as is not the most intuitive; however, most things you need are there.

Pros

The dashboard. All from one location I can see my projects performance across a multitude of aspects from social media, back links, position rankings and technical SEO just to name a few.

Cons

Righ now I have an issue with my Facebook always disconnecting with their publishing tool within an hour. contacting support guides you to an email where I would much rather have instant chat or phone support.

Hali M.
  • Industry: Leisure, Travel & Tourism
  • Company size: 5,001-10,000 Employees

• Customer Support Software

Perfect for global SEO research and analysis

Reviewed on 2020-05-29

I have been able to prove how our content refresh and new blog content has boosted our visibility prior to our new website launch that included a content overhaul. I've shown the correlation between our position and visibility to our increase in search traffic and search purchases. I never would have been able to justify our efforts or my role without the help of SEMrush.

Pros

I love being able to build out dashboards for our keyword categories. It helps me see which product groups are performing well vs. which ones we need to focus on. We are a global company so being able to have keywords in different languages was one of the main selling points for me. It's been fantastic!

Cons

Since we are global, it would be nice if we didn't have to choose just one country for each dashboard. I really need to see performance on a global scale.

Response from SEMrush

Hi Hali! Thanks a lot for giving us this review, we appreciate it!

Josh O.

• Customer Support Software

Pretty standard for SEO and digital marketing teams

Reviewed on 2018-11-13

Pros

SEMrush is our primary SEO tool and it really does it all, especially with the massive upgrades in the last year. It tracks keyword ranking positions, offers a few keyword research tools, and compares the domain to others related to it. You can automate reports that are white labeled, too. It also does domain analysis, backlink tracking, and site audits which we use all the time in our SEO business. They have recently rolled out link opportunity and outreach tools as well as brand monitoring on social media, though we haven't used those as much lately (but plan to).

Cons

SEMrush is an advanced tool for sure, not for newbies with little knowledge. However their support and tutorials are great. I'd like some more customization and styling options for the report tool, since we use SEMrush as our main report generator. Now we end up pasting images or combining it with other separate reports. I'd also like a client-facing dashboard for easy reporting. The keyword research tool isn't as good as the google one used to be, but now that google is making their keyword research tool more and more ridiculous, SEMrush is looking pretty good.

Annalea C.

• Customer Support Software

The data you get from SEMrush is priceless

Reviewed on 2020-10-12

It's priceless. My experience with SEMrush has been amazing.

Pros

There really is no price tag I can place on SEMrush. At Leadfeeder, we use the SEMrush to help us complete our content audit, drive our content strategy, monitor competitor's content, & re-optimize out content. We also use it to manage the execution and website redesign with its site audit features. Our marketing team could not operate without the help of SEMrush.

Cons

Deeper content analysis similar to MarketMuse or Clearscope would be awesome! And, maybe even some social shares like Buzzsumo. It would be awesome to have one tool that does it all!

Chad B.

Best SEM and SEO software on the market

Reviewed on 2019-11-22

SEMrush does a great job of onboarding clients and they have a lot of great training tools. I also like that I can go to one place and get the information I'm looking for. And it is accurate.

Pros

SEMrush is probably the most full-featured SEM/SEO software on the market. I have tried several different ones but they all lacked certain pieces. To get all the features of SEMrush you have to have subscriptions to multiple pieces of software.

Cons

This much functionality doesn't come without some complexity. There are times where it is frustrating trying to figure out how to do something or get the results you are looking for.

Christopher M.

Agency Data

8 out of 10.

Pros

The versatility of the software is great, as many SEO’s know, ahrefs is better for back links but overall the versatility of SEMrush is better IMO. That is why we mainly use this.

Cons

The cost of adding users can get very expensive.

Lauren B.
  • Industry: Automotive

Excellent SEO software

Reviewed on 2020-10-22

I could spend all day in the software, and now that I have it, I couldn't work without it.

Pros

My favorite products within the software include keyword gap analysis, keyword magic tool, comeptitor analysis as well a position tracking.

Cons

It's only as good as what you put in.
I wish the heatmap for listing management was included in the Guru package, or the packages were more customizable as I don't use half the features in my package but would like to add other extras that are more relevant to my scope of work.

Response from SEMrush

Hi Lauren, thank you for your review! We are so happy to hear you enjoy SEMrush tools!

Abid S.
  • Industry: Banking
  • Company size: 5,001-10,000 Employees

Incredibly Professional Online Visibility Management Platform

Reviewed on 2020-12-26

I always improve my website content after doing an audit from SEMrush. I always analyze my website traffic through this platform. I really love the magic keyword research tool and even all other tools of SEMrush. I always search the best and incredible keywords for my PPC campaign. I also analyze the performance of my social media posts. I create optimize and professional social ads through SEMrush. So, in short, I am really satisfied with SEMrush.

Pros

SEMrush is the best platform for the digital media marketing experts. SEMrush allows you to work on SEO, content marketing, advertising, market research and social media. You can find millions of best keywords for your business website. You can analyze your website backlinks. You can run SEO audits for your website. So you can see your competitors and then you can improve your website content according to the best keywords.

Cons

SEMrush offers most effective and professional strategies to increase rankings in search engines and even in the social media platforms without any kind of cons. According to my point of view, SEMrush is best without cons.

Response from Semrush

Hi Abid, thank you for leaving a review for Semrush! We are so proud to be your tool of choice! :)

Ashley C.
  • Company size: 1,001-5,000 Employees

Robust functionality, helps us see the full picture

Reviewed on 2020-10-12

We're able to make more informed decisions with SEMrush, and we're getting a more full picture of the performance of our websites because of the tools available to us within the platform.

Pros

As a company with multiple websites, it's helpful to be able to create projects for each site within SEMrush and track position separately. It's great to be able to crawl for issues within the tool as well. Reporting is easy and robust, and we haven't even fully exploited its functionality in the year since we deployed. I love the categorization of the Keyword Magic tool - I was a Google Keyword Planner enthusiast, but I think I'm a convert!

Cons

It can be hard to know whose data to trust when SEMrush data conflicts with other tools (mostly on MSV).
You can't tie a page to a particular keyword to track ranking. SEMrush decides which page to tie based on which one is ranking best - which does make sense, but it complicates things a bit for us.

Response from SEMrush

Hi Ashley, thank you so much for your review! We are happy to know you enjoy SEMrush tools!

Thomas R.

Great tool!

Reviewed on 2020-08-26

Great tool, easy to use and would recommend to anyone looking to get data on a website's performance

Pros

I use SEMrush everyday and it really helps my company determine who to target and who to avoid. Since our software performs best for companies who produce quality web traffic, it is vital for us to know how well a website performs before we decide to reach out.

Cons

I don't know how accurate their numbers are, it seems that the numbers are very conservative so it is sometimes hard to get an exact picture of a website's performance. This likely isn't an exact science though and seems to be the case with other similar tools as well. SEMrush does seem more accurate than others I've used before.

Response from SEMrush

Hi Thomas, thank you so much for your review, it is great to hear that you solve your daily tasks with our tools!

Svetla M.

• Customer Support Software

Great for insight on organic se positions and comparing with competitors

Reviewed on 2021-02-10

Very easy to use and set up, the best option for getting the big picture of where you stand in organic search results and how to keep optimizing. Great for planning your paid Google ads.

Pros

Insight on what keywords account for your search engine traffic, for different local markets, spying into competitor paid ads, getting traffic for keywords so you know what keywords to optimize your content for, keyword gap

Cons

Pricing what I like least. This software is a must for anyone who wants to optimize their site and ads but many times it's difficult to convince the customer to keep paying for it. So optimisations keep going, but blindly.

Response from Semrush

Hi Svetla, thank you for leaving a review for Semrush! We have a nice feature - My reports, they help tracking progress of your SEO efforts. Probably it could provide a full picture of how your work is paying off to your clients. You can also compile a list of all keywords your client is organically ranking for and show them how much paid traffic for these would cost. Hope it helps!

Rob R.

SEMrush Review

Reviewed on 2020-10-12

Pros

The range of features. We are a small agency and we need to limit the number of tools we use. SEMrush has a wide array of tools and that allows us to focus on just one tool.

Cons

The cost to add additional users. It is very expensive to add additional users, so unfortunately we need to limit access to the tool because we do not want to incur the sizeable expense of adding them.

Keith G.

SEMrush helps manufacturing firms

Reviewed on 2020-10-12

We and our clients have enjoyed outstanding results using SEMrush to present data in a way that it is easy to prioritize actions and get meaningful results that impact the bottom line.

Pros

SEMrush features, especially SEO with measures of the competitive landscape has been very helpful with bringing manufacturing firms up to speed with Internet Marketing practices.

Cons

It is comprehensive, which naturally makes it challenging to navigate when it is not used on a daily basis.

Response from SEMrush

Hi Keith, thank you for your review! This is so great to hear that our tools brought great results to you and your clients!

Dunia C.

Semrush, the king of keyword analysis

Reviewed on 2021-03-28

Semrush is online software that helps you find keywords and phrases to optimize your website. It's also an SEO tool that helps you track your site's progress, and improve your SEO so your site will rank higher on Google.
I use Semrush on a daily basis and I use it for keyword analysis and to analyze my competitor's keywords.
So far I have not found a better tool for this than Semrush.
Semrush's monthly payment is significantly high, so I would only recommend it to those who are doing SEO work that is already bringing in revenue.

Pros

Semrush's keyword analysis tool is undoubtedly among the best on the market, not to say categorically that it is the best.
The functionality they call Keyword Magic Tool is truly magical! It offers keywords that you could not even imagine.
The possibilities of filtering by different criteria allows you to find terms with low competition and real possibilities of ranking.

Cons

Your backlink tool is limited. Also the design of the platform could be more user friendly. For a first-time user, Semrush can be difficult to get to grips with all the features.

Arno D.

• Customer Support Software

Great SEO tool for Consultants!

Reviewed on 2020-10-12

Pros

Used predominantly for SEO research, audits and competitor analysis. Useful for performance tracking and the insight tools have been useful too. Single location (dashboard) to view all project performance.

Cons

Pricing is a little on the high side for consultants and freelancers wanting to utilise some of the advanced functionality of the tool.