Buddy Punch

Online Time Clock Software | Web Based Time Management

4.8 /5 (604 reviews) Write a Review!
4.7
4.6
Tara L.

Great Product!

Reviewed on 2019-10-09

Buddy Punch has been a super efficient business solution for our office. It is very user friendly. The integration with Quickbooks has streamlined our payroll which has been a huge plus. Most importantly to me as the administrator who's been responsible for the complete set up and training of all staff- the Buddy Punch customer service team has been absolutely outstanding!

Pros

The software is easy to use with only very minor quirks.

Cons

I appreciate the updates to scheduling but even with the new templates, I'm still not able to schedule as efficiently as I would like. I would love to be able to set a master schedule for each user and edit individual days from there as necessary. My team typically works a pretty set schedule so to have a template per person would be ideal. It seems that's not quite the functionality of the new template feature.

Response from Buddy Punch

Thank you Tara for the review. It is great to hear that our QuickBooks integration has been helpful to your business. Thank you for the feedback, recurring items on the schedule is coming up as a new feature as well. Thanks again!

Cathie K.
Industry: Insurance

Buddy Punch is the BEST!

Reviewed on 2020-11-02

Our experience has been phenomenal.

Pros

I like the fact that the support staff is very willing to try to accommodate requests that we have.

Cons

I would like it if we could put Exempt employees on the system, just to track PTO.

Response from Buddy Punch

Thank you Cathie for the review and kind words! We always try to help with support, even if we don't offer a feature we try to find a way to accomplish what you are looking to do. In regards to employees just tracking time off, they can do that too - there isn't a requirement to track time. We'll reach out with more details, thanks again!

Stephenie W.

Works the way it is advertised. Learning curve was minimal.

Reviewed on 2017-10-30

This software is a great alternative to paper records, especially for a small company that has hourly employees. I have no idea how easy/hard setting up accounts is, but for me--a regular employee--it works wonderfully. If I knew someone starting their own business, or someone who has their own business, I would recommend this product.

Pros

When I made user errors (like forgetting to clock out) the software had built in measures to rectify my mistake. I forgot to punch out, and it has a feature to leave notes for your boss. You can also edit a punch after you make a mistake (just needs to be approved by your boss) So if you get excited and start working before you clock in? No problem. Just punch in and edit the time to an earlier time of the day. Then wait for your boss to approve the changes. It says I can review punches from previous weeks, but I haven't had time to explore that feature yet.

Cons

I didn't devote a lot of time to explore the software, so it took a full work week to figure out what it had to offer beyond punching in and out. Software seems great! I've only been using it for two weeks. I don't have complaints about the software. Any issues I faced were from a lack of understanding how it functioned, and I was able to figure it out on my own (for example: I forgot to punch out, and the next morning when I saw the error it showed me punching in and out at what seemed to be random times during the night) Biggest complaint: the company sent me emails asking me to review the product the very first day I used it, and I personally think people need a few days--up to a week--to familiarize themselves with the software (at least enough to write a review)

Response from Buddy Punch

Thank you Stephanie for the great review, I'm glad your'e finding us easy to use and that you're finding our built in features to be helpful, such as forgetting to clock in or out. Also, sorry for asking for a review so fast! I appreciate your honest feedback. Thanks again for the review and for your recommendation.

Mike L.

How good is buddypunch?

Reviewed on 2016-09-10

Turns out its preetttyyy gooood.

Was looking for an app that helped manage employee punching in/out for small businesses and did a bunch of trials before finding BuddyPunch. The other apps that I found were often not what I was looking for or did not have a focus on employee punch-in/outs.

Found buddypunch and it does exactly what I need it to. The UI is very well designed, the administrator makes employee accounts and employees just go to the website, log in, and push the big green button.

They then log in again to punch out but the big green button will be a big red button this time.
Very simple, very easy, does employee punch-ins, does it well. Also got an IP-Lock feature so employees can only punch in on-site.

There are some other features like wage calculations based on punch-in time, overtime stuff, and other things that I don't use but they seemed pretty useful if I ever choose to use them.

Pros

Good design

Intuitive

Focused on employee punching in and out. No gimmicks you have to do, no hoops you have to jump through to get it going.

Cons

People can only be automatically punched out after X hours. Not X and a half or X and a quarter. But you set the X so I got that going for me which is nice.

Response from Buddy Punch

Thank you Lei for the 10/10 review! We really appreciate the thought you put into it and the highlighting of some of our features. I'm glad that the User Interface (UI) is easy to use and understand. When we're designing features we always think of how they're being used and how it affects both the employee and administrator's daily experience. Thanks again, we appreciate your business.

Industry: Consumer Goods

Great time collection option

Reviewed on 2018-10-08

Pros

I was looking for a time collection option for our temporary employee staff. We have anywhere from 15 to 30 temporary employees on staff from different agencies on a weekly basis. It was a chore to have paper time tickets from multiple agencies and making sure the hours were approved by the supervisor was difficult as well. Buddy punch allows all Temp employees to punch in on one clock and it takes their picture so I can verify it was them. We have an IPad set up for this purpose only. At the end of the week I can easily run a report by staffing agency and send the reports to them so the temporary employee can be paid.

Cons

In the beginning we had issues with the IPad not not running the app correctly. I am not sure if the issues were on our end or if they were with Buddy Punch but we had to reload the program once a week it seems for the first couple of months. I am happy to say things are working much smoother now and I rarely need to reboot the IPad.

Response from Buddy Punch

Thank you for the review, it's great to hear that you're finding our reporting options easy to use and that you're taking advantage of our webcam feature, which you can setup to require a photo of an employee on punches. Also good to hear that any issues with your iPad have been resolved. Thanks again!

Jim C.
Industry: Machinery

Well Done Time Tracking Software

Reviewed on 2020-01-30

This software has accomplished what we were hoping for - punching in and out when on site. We are a custom fab shop, so we use a lot of job codes and the software is easy to use for purpose. We eliminated paper tallies which over the course of a years time has saved us payroll in regards to employee rounding time on time sheets. I am able to access all the information even when I am on the road, so I am always in the loop on attendance and who is working on what projects.

Pros

Easy to train employees
Easy to set-up and implement
Straight forward user interface
Geofence ability (user must punch in specified areas)

Cons

Would like customizable report options
I sometimes forget when setting up a new user to add them to the Geofence. Our company has only one location so an automatic add would be nice.

Response from Buddy Punch

Thank you Jim for the review, it's great to hear that you're utilizing our Geofencing feature and that you're finding us easy to use. We appreciate the feedback and your business!

Likelihood to recommend: 7.0/10

Sarah S.
Industry: Medical Practice

Buddy Punch is a great replacement for our old system!

Reviewed on 2018-11-09

Pros

Right off the bat I was impressed that Buddy Punch offered a 30 day trial, whereas most other systems offered only one or two week trials. Before our 30 days was even up we knew this is the program we were going to use. Buddy Punch was easy to use for all of our employees and I am able to access it from my home rather than having to remember when I went into the office to make adjustments to time cards, approve PTO, or print reports. Also, even though I set specific pay periods, I am able to print reports with whatever date ranges I indicate. I find that very useful. The last feature that we have been impressed with was the ability to select different locations that employees can punch in/ out of. We have multiple locations and it is helpful know where people are physically. Great program!

Cons

I have the mobile app downloaded onto my phone but it is extremely limited. In hindsight, I wish I wouldn't have talked that up so much to my management team, because it turned out to not offer many options or capability.

Response from Buddy Punch

Thank you for the review Sarah! It's great to hear that you're taking advantage of our PTO approval feature, reporting, and geo-fencing features. With the smartphone app you're able to approve PTO, view and edit time cards, and view who's currently punched in. We don't have a reports option on the smartphone apps today, but I'll reach out to you to see what features you might be interested in so we can add them to the list for future development. Thanks again.

Jake C.
Industry: Electrical/Electronic Manufacturing

Great Time Clock System

Reviewed on 2018-10-09

Buddy Punch is a great product that has allowed us to better track our technicians hours. They are on the road 3-4 days a week and Buddy Punch helps us know where they are when they punch in/out and whether they are staying on schedule. It's a great product at a great value!

Pros

The software is a good value, easy to use, and the support team is very receptive to suggested changes or add-ons. We've seen several suggestions become a reality which is uncommon when dealing with other software companies.

Cons

The app isn't the best, but we do ask for it to do a lot. From GPS tracking to facial recognition; there are good features, but with phone updates, the app has a tendency to lock up.

Response from Buddy Punch

Thanks Jake fore the review, I'm happy to hear that you're finding us easy to use as well as a good value. We build features based on feedback from our users, it is great to hear that you're enjoying some of our recent updates! Also thanks for the feedback on the mobile app, it supports geofences, gps coordinates, facial recognition and QR codes. Thanks again.

Mary B.
Industry: Tobacco

Perfect Timeclock Solution!

Reviewed on 2019-10-31

I've enjoyed using Buddy Punch! I've had to deal with several other timeclock solutions at other businesses, ranging from different software to old-fashioned punch clocks to just simple sheets you filled your hours out on. Far and away, BP is the best I've seen yet.

Pros

BuddyPunch is very easy to use and has several login options. Our employees can use their standard username and password, but they can also punch in faster/simpler using QR codes or a 4-digit pin. BP also organizes your timesheet well so that you can check your worked hours, PTO, etc at a glance.

Cons

Occasionally it can be slower to load on our systems, but not to a degree that causes "late punches".

Response from Buddy Punch

Thank you Mary for the review and the kind words! We appreciate your business.

Gerald A.

One Of The Best Decisions I Made For My Business

Reviewed on 2016-09-15

I was first apprehensive of trying out Buddy Punch. I was so used to traditional punch cards, spending hours reading through each punch card during paydays and calling each employee for verification of blurred printouts and questionable punch-ins. I was used to making my life so difficult. Until I decided to level up because some bundy clock machines bogged down at the office, I began looking for a time card system that would eliminate time fraud from employees ... and make my life easy too. I began to entertain biometric time clocks. But the newest machines are so expensive and still quite laborious on part of the employer who had no human resources department. Until I came through an advertisement from Buddy Punch, this picked up my interest. After a few hours of contemplation, I tried it and boy was I blown off by its features real-time pics, extensive data of employee activity, payroll data, etc. Even the staff of Buddy Punch are so supportive, inserting few features from a new user like me. I am so impressed! Now for the first time in my 10 years of business, computing payroll has become such a breeze. Thank you very much, Buddy Punch!

Pros

I am happy for everything. Though it doesn't have all the features we need, but the staff are ready to entertain all our suggestions.

Cons

Nothing that I can think of. So far, it fills my current payroll needs.

Response from Buddy Punch

Thank you Gerald for the great review! I appreciate you pointing out a few of our features, like our webcam support for pictures on punches and our reporting options. I'm glad we've made your life easier. Thanks for your business!

Kristina S.
Industry: Human Resources

Great, very easy to use and not over complicated by too many add ons

Reviewed on 2017-10-30

Pros

It is simple, straight forward, and very easy to use. It looks great on the web and the mobile app. Easy for employees to use and access.

Cons

It is not made to function without an email address and it is not made for Holdings or Conglomerate groups. You cannot be an administrator tied to separate entities once your email is in use. Even though you wish each group to act independently and you just want administrator access to each one, you have to make entirely separate accounts and you have to come up with different versions of your email to do that because this program is just not made for that.

Response from Buddy Punch

Thank you Kristina for the 10/10 review, we appreciate it! I'm glad you're finding us easy to use and making use of our web and mobile access options. Thank you for the feedback on management of several accounts at once. We are making some enhancements in this area, so stay tuned!

Mitch H.
Industry: Machinery

A superior choice to paper time cards or other software time cards I've tried

Reviewed on 2017-06-02

Incredibly easy tracking of hourly employees time cards including break times, lunches, and PTO taken.

Pros

This software is incredibly easy to use both by the administrator and by the employees. They make it easy to be compliant with federal and state laws for tracking hourly employee time and breaks. It is easy to control which employees can change their own check ins/check outs, and it is incredibly easy to make changes when needed. I also love that employees can choose to fill in their own PTO and mark it appropriately for what type they have used.

Response from Buddy Punch

Thank you Mitch for the review, we appreciate you taking the time! I'm glad that you've found Buddy Punch "incredibly easy to use!" Thanks for pointing out our break, PTO and change request features, I'm glad they're helping you be compliant with federal and state laws. Thanks for being a Buddy Punch customer!

Elizabeth V.
Industry: Law Practice

Easy To Use

Reviewed on 2020-09-25

It's been a good program to use since we lost our other one.

Pros

I can Edit and have no issues accessing the software.

Cons

It doesn't seem to understand that holiday time is not the same as PTO.

Response from Buddy Punch

Thank you Elizabeth for your review, it's great to hear you are finding us easy to use. Your account administrator can create different types of time off and can designate them as paid or unpaid, sorry for any confusion. Thanks again!

Susy S.
Industry: Education Management

It's so easy to clock in and out

Reviewed on 2018-02-19

The ability to check where I am at the end of the week and how many hours I have left, so I won't go into overtime.

Pros

The convenience of being able to keep track of my hours and the ease of clocking in and out. I also can change the time if I forget to clock, which is approved by the administrator.

Response from Buddy Punch

Thank you Susy for the great review! I'm glad that we've been easy for you to use and that your'e making use of our "I need to change something" feature, which routes changes to your administrator for approval.

Sarah A.
Industry: Banking

Trouble with missed punches

Reviewed on 2019-03-04

Pros

It's quick and easy to use as long as no punches are missed.

Cons

If an employee misses a punch, it is very difficult for them to correct it. You must choose midnight on two lines, then choose a new clock out (or in) time. Plus, this usually occurs the following day, so you have the following day's clock in line which makes it even more confusing. Buddy Punch won't simply allow you to correct the clock out. You must now make changes to at least 3 punches.

Response from Buddy Punch

Thanks for the review Sarah. The issue you are facing is due to a feature called "Split Shifts at Midnight," which automatically punches an employee out and then back in at midnight. If this feature was disabled then you'd just be correcting a single punch. I'll reach out to your administrator and let them know, thank you!

Holly S.
Industry: Accounting

Great

Reviewed on 2017-09-19

Helpful on the go access. I like that you can punch out at a specific time since I run errands outside of work then estimate my clock out time.

Pros

Easy to use. Can use it anywhere. I am glad to have the access on my phone to help while I am walking to the front door I can just punch in.

Cons

The ONLY thing I do not like is before your manager approves your hours. The system does not add up the hours. I understand they are not "approved" hours. But this is silly that you can not gauge your hours because of this flaw.

Response from Buddy Punch

Thanks for the review Holly, I'm glad that we're easy to use and that you're utilizing our mobile features. Also thanks for the feedback on the pending approvals. You are correct, until your manager approves any changes to your time card they won't tally the hours as the hours could be rejected/changed. Thanks again!

Industry: Construction

Great time keeping option

Reviewed on 2018-10-23

Overall, it has been great! It has taken the hassle out of keeping time. No more adding times, calculating, and then punching them in redundantly. Buddy punch has taken the work out of payroll and time keeping.

Pros

Buddy punch offers an easy solution to employee time keeping. The thing about Buddy Punch that I love most is the ability to sync/ integrate employee's times with accounting software. This feature has made it incredibly easy to manage payroll, and ensure your employees are properly tracked via the time they provide through a number of offered apps.

Cons

A longer trial is the only thing that I would suggest. At least double the currently offered trial. It would allow users to get a better feel for the program and become accustomed to it before deciding to purchase. But once they become hooked on this software, I truly believe they will be willing to pay the full price that is offered so reasonably.

Response from Buddy Punch

Thank you for the review! It's great to hear that you're finding us easy to use and also using our integrations. We integrate with several payroll providers/accounting options. We also offer a 30 day free trial on all new accounts. Thanks again!

Stephanie B.
Industry: Consumer Services

First time online timesheet user

Reviewed on 2018-12-29

Our business has grown exponentially and the need for an easier way to time track was needed. Having BP allows me the opportunity to see who is clocked in real-time and the timesheets at a glance.

Pros

Ease of setup and use.
I have personally experienced after hours assistance and that is hugely important to me. My hours are not limited to 9:00-5:00.

Cons

Nothing. I can’t think of one thing that is a drawback.

Response from Buddy Punch

Thank you Stefanie for your review and business, it is great to hear that you're finding us easy to use and to setup!

Julia C.

So Easy!

Reviewed on 2019-01-15

This is my third time with a punch in system and this is by far the easiest and most accurate, there are never issues with calculating the hours, and it keeps it organized. I find it helpful to have my account that i am able to access at all times, rather than a group login, or the handwritten clock ins.

Pros

I like that it is simple and to the point and you can see exactly the hours you are working, what it adds up to for the week and also you can go back and see previous time cards for reference

Cons

there is anything that i have had a issue with, i highly recommend

Response from Buddy Punch

Thank you Julia for the review! It's great to hear you're finding us simple, easy, and accurate. We appreciate the kind words!

Ken P.
Industry: Health, Wellness & Fitness

Buddy Punch is a great way to track and document employee time and attendance

Reviewed on 2017-08-30

Cost-effective, ease-of use--Buddy Punch allows for our employees to access the system from a variety of locations and systems.

Pros

Buddy Punch is easy to set up, easy to use, and the most cost-effective product we could find for our size business (under 100 employees).

Cons

At some point it would be helpful if additional features could be added to more fully cover our anticipated future needs as our programs and employee groups expand.

Response from Buddy Punch

Thank you Ken for taking the time to write the review, we appreciate it and your continued business. I'm glad that you find us ease to use and that we're cost effective. We are continuing to implement new features, we'll be announcing more in the next few weeks as we finish up development. Thanks again!

Laura M.
Industry: Individual & Family Services

Buddy Punch review

Reviewed on 2020-12-18

Great

Pros

Ease of use . Reports are easy to access. Adding new staff is easy.

Cons

No ability to ask staff COVID related health questions at shift sign in.

Response from Buddy Punch

Thanks for the review and feedback Laura, we appreciate it. It is great to hear you are finding us easy to use!

Kevin C.
Industry: Nonprofit Organization Management

Buddy Punch Review

Reviewed on 2019-03-29

Overall I am very happy to say Buddy Punch is much simpler and quicker than previous methods I have used in the past at other organizations.

Pros

I like that it is straight-forward to use when punching in or out. I also like that I can see my historical clockins/outs for the time period by scrolling down.

Cons

It is confusing when you have to add a paid time off or simply a clock in or clock out that I missed somehow. Having an easier way to add/delete clockins would help a lot.

Response from Buddy Punch

Thanks for the review Kevin, it is great to hear you are finding us easy to use. Also thanks for the feedback, your administrator controls your ability to add and edit time. Thanks again.

Likelihood to recommend: 7.0/10

Industry: Real Estate
Company size: 1,001-5,000 Employees

Simple,

Reviewed on 2019-04-23

My staff is clocking in and out with ease. There is no need to keep that dated punch clock around the building. I can pull info from where ever I am. It's great!

Pros

This program brought my building into the 21st century. Some of my staff aren't the best at technology but they were able to easily figure out Buddy Punch and now use it with ease.

Cons

I really haven't had any issues yet with the program. I contacted Customer Service once and they were amazing and fixed my problem quickly (it was a user error).

Response from Buddy Punch

Thank you for the review, it is great to hear that you are finding us easy to use. Glad we were able to help bring your business into the digital age!

Lee W.

SIMPILCITY, COMPREHENSIVE, EASY TO USE!

Reviewed on 2017-09-21

Pros

Having the freedom to record time anywhere instead of being restrain by use a time clock.... The record keeping of all in/out time and being able to keep track of total hours every week.

Cons

Having to use the location tracker just to clock in. I don't like for people who I don't know, to know where I'm located at all times...

Response from Buddy Punch

Thank you Lee for your review, I appreciate the kind works and I'm glad that we're simple and easy to use. I'm glad that you are using our mobile capabilities as well. We are both accessible via the browser as well as on our smartphone apps. Thanks for the feedback on our GPS coordinates option, this is something that can be enabled or disabled on a per employee basis.

Breanna W.
Industry: Education Management

Great pay check system

Reviewed on 2019-08-09

Overall, Buddy Punch is a great system and works well for our company. I would recommend it.

Pros

Buddy Punch's app is very easy to use from my phone and on the comupters at the office.

Cons

My employer tells me that they have to approve each punch in if we log in from our phones. If we log in in person they don't have to approve each punch. It would be nice if they did not have to approve every punch made from a mobile phone.

Response from Buddy Punch

Thank you Breanna for the review, it is great to hear you are finding us easy to use. In regards to mobile use it isn't a requirement that each punch is approved, that would be an employer specific requirement. Thanks again.