Slack

4.7 (21,605)
A single place for team communication and workflows

(21,605)

Karen
  • Industry: Accounting Software

Realtime notifications

Reviewed on 2022-06-27

I use slack with the finance teams of the clients I work with. We use slack to send questions and get rapid responses.

Pros

I work with clients all around the world, Slack is the best communication tool I have used. I am able to finish projects faster and more accurately with clients that use Slack than when using Email.

Cons

Switching from businesses is some what complicated in the mobile app.

I changed jobs

Reasons for Switching to Slack

Not a lot of clients wanted to use teams and some feel like teams is spying on them.
Goran
  • Industry: Leisure, Travel & Tourism

The only way to communicate within a team

Reviewed on 2022-06-29

I use it for all manners of communication with my team - from quick huddles when we get stuck and need a rubber ducky moment, to bigger team meetings. We have groups for smaller teams to collaborate in, we have fun channels to blow off steam, and we even use it for the food train organization.

Pros

It is easy to use and feels natural. For us coming from Discord or IRC, it is very intuitive to understand how to use it without any learning curve whatsoever. Slack helps me connect with coworkers, share project updates, send cat photos to my team, send random funny quotes, gifs, reactions, all of it still in a very professional application that handles all of my communication needs.

Cons

Slack sometimes becomes too much, but it is easy to mute it to focus on work so this is easily solveable.

Reasons for Choosing Slack

Discord is a gaming software and with our company becoming more serious, we wanted a more serious solution.

Discord

Reasons for Switching to Slack

As we later learned and originally suspected, Microsof Teams is much harder to use and is much less intuitive and fun.
Matija
  • Industry: Higher Education Software
  • Used Monthly for Free Trial

• Customer Support Software

Comunication tool for biger projects

Reviewed on 2022-08-08

We use it for specific international project and overall we receive what we wanted: faster connection than email and quick tool for sharing the documents.

Pros

Segmentation of the channels for specific parts of the project and easy drag and drop tool for attachments.

Cons

Need for a daily login from all members of the project and understanding how channels are working.

Basecamp, monday.com and Asana

Reasons for Switching to Slack

More people new about Slack then about other tools.
  • Industry: Biotechnology

Experience after 3 years of useing Slack

Reviewed on 2022-08-15

Slack demonstrates a strong scientific link, particularly when used for internal company communication. Slack is also user-friendly, with an easy-to-use layout and a login interaction with LinkedIn. Furthermore, as compared to other programs, this application is quite light on computers and phones.

Pros

It is highly handy for this application to combine login with Linkin, which helps to improve connection possibilities while eliminating many redundant login processes. Also, because Slack is cross-platform (desktop, Android, and iOS), everyone in my firm can communicate with one another regardless of device. Furthermore, the possibility to connect to other storage services like Dropbox, Google Drive, GitHub... Slack's free plan allows users to save up to 10,000 messages exchanged by the team, 5GB of storage, and connect up to 5 additional carrier services.

Cons

The storage of messages only takes place for a short time and it is necessary to update the paid application versions to use more features. This makes the free version quite limited and unpopular for long-term storage of information.

Redmine and Zendesk

Reasons for Choosing Slack

Slack presents more versatility than telegram and is easier to use.

Reasons for Switching to Slack

I went through all the possible applications to find the most user-friendly channel in my software company. Done Slack clearly shows multi-app friendliness so I chose it.
Pranav
  • Industry: Design

• Customer Support Software

The Ultimate Tool to Work From Home!

Reviewed on 2022-08-10

Slack enables me to coordinate all my Meetings and Team communications in a very professional Manner. It has been a great platform to share our files. Screen sharing is another add on worth it.

Pros

Slack is a well thought platform for Entrepreneurs to use and be more efficient in a timely manner. Working from home, this tool has enabled me to work everything out on a single software and this saves me a lot of time.

Cons

Concerning the Drawbacks, i have not quite found any yet, it is very user friendly and everyday you learn something new about the various features it has.

Zoom Meetings

Reasons for Choosing Slack

Slack is the New Youth Tool. Skype is like the Old Grandfather who is fading away now.

Skype

Reasons for Switching to Slack

Because Slack has been everything what we were looking for in a software. We are quite impressed.
Handel
  • Industry: Online Media

• Customer Support Software

They call it slack because... well...

Reviewed on 2022-08-11

Instant messaging and relaying of files is made easy with Slack. Much easier than Skype or Discord, both which have sloppy organization systems. Slacks channel feature makes it easy to organize groups and compile topics. Slack is a vital instant messaging application that can be integrated with other platforms. It is powerful!

Pros

Instant messaging is a functionality that many workflow organizers lack. Trello, Airtable, Node, Asana, so many of them lack an instant messaging feature. Slack is an integral part to organized, channeled instant messaging, but that is really all it is for. File sharing made easy, and message logs made easy with an intuitive search feature, slack is a robust message tool that beats Skype and Discord.

Cons

Slack can promote an environment of talking rather than working. This is more of a greater problem with instant messaging. Not all workforces need instant messaging to crack jokes and ask questions all the time. Sometimes it is better to work in controlled periods without any interruptions. Therefore, instant notifications can be disabled. Slack should add a feature where you can disable notifications based on a time schedule.

John

• Customer Support Software

Superb for communication and live chats call it "slack"

Reviewed on 2022-08-15

Slack integrates nearly with all other softwares ,and this has helped to get real time information . No massaging tool I have found such flexible as this.

Pros

This product has very friendly features that are not complex for non IT Professionals , very easy to use .The aspect of getting real- time massaging through chats and calls is very fundamental force for business growth.

Cons

One thing I haven't been satisfied with this tool is during the video conferencing it keeps on freezing mostly when using a. Mobile phone.

Trello

Reasons for Switching to Slack

One of the things that stood up with slack is it's flexibility that we are able to customize it in many ways to suit our business needs.
Muhammad
  • Industry: Writing & Editing

Slack

Reviewed on 2022-07-07

Slack is the best platform for remote jobs as it provides us to make different channels within the company the channels could be private, public or shared

Pros

it allows us to make channels within the company
Channels could be public-private and shared

Cons

Conversations get deleted after 14 days
It provides minimum file storage

Vinod

Good for community building

Reviewed on 2022-07-12

Overall experience is quite productive and helped in organizing the team communication very well.

Pros

The best thing about slack is team collaboration and communication. The group and categories based on topic is quite good and help in segregation of content based on priority. Under these thread our discuasion is quite good.

Cons

Some video call features would make it more appealing .

el mahdi
  • Industry: Information Services
  • Used Monthly for 1+ year

• Customer Support Software

The best in managing meetings

Reviewed on 2022-08-13

Excellent experience managing many projects at once, easy and practical conversations, it is not free, but it shortens time and effort, when you own it you can dispense with many programs

Pros

I like a lot of services in Slack, for example:
- Ease of use
- The actual messaging app is practical and fast
- a suitable price
- Ideal in managing meetings, excellent sound and picture quality, easy data sharing

Cons

Slack is an excellent program that it is difficult to find a weak point, but it is good to work more on speeding up the upload of large data, the free version is limited and this is also normal

Rhonda

Multifaceted Messaging

Reviewed on 2022-08-11

Some employees are not in the facility for most or all of the day. Slack helps me monitor everyone and is a way for us talk throughout the day. Employees working together or in rotation use slack to stay in touch too. In the morning we get everyone in a quick video conference to plan for the day and update. It's worked well.

Pros

I can create message channels and control or monitor who is in each, settings can be changed to public or private. Individuals can message privately too. I like how the channels are displayed I can find any of them quickly. Video calls can be created without leaving the messages screen. I can usually see and hear everyone clearly.
Links open in the app and when I send photos and videos all load quickly.

Cons

All of the messages aren't saved and I wasn't able to find a way to change the setting. I have had to save folders full of screenshots incase important messages get deleted.
More value for money and less taken out of the lower price tiers would make Slack better too.

Flock

Reasons for Choosing Slack

Microsoft teams was included in 365 but not easy to use. Mattermost is very similar to slack but just not nearly as good.

Mattermost and Microsoft Teams
Brittany

Slack is a mainstay for my inter-connected teams and communities!

Reviewed on 2022-08-17

Pros

Slack is hands down my favorite way to keep productive up, communication lines between teams clear and more concise, and as a way of messaging back and forth in a pretty straight-forward, not super distracting way.

Cons

There is not really a complaint I can think of in regards to Slack. I have never had a real issue with it in my 8+ years of using the application.

Yammer and Confluence

Reasons for Choosing Slack

Microsoft's product did not even compare to the ease-of-use and clarity, brevity of implementation and start-up.... Slack is just way easier to use and more people I have worked with and currently with work still enjoy it/rely on it for day-to-day communication and project update needs. ESPECIALLY in a newly, mostly remote work environment!

Yammer
Michael

Community Management for Non-Profit organizing

Reviewed on 2022-08-11

Setting up Slack was quite easy once we received a non-profit grant for the standard license. Some people had to be taught in detail but the transition was overall fluid and is now universally considered a smart move.

Pros

Slack enables structured communication within and across working groups (protest planning, tech, outreach, lobbying, etc.). Having access to all relevant streams of communication in one place (that isn't the personal messenging app) is crucial to maintain any semblance of structure.

Cons

It took some time to figure out proper ways to handle our most common workflows with or without bots and integrations (eg. voting, scheduling). Integration with our knowledge base app, Nuclino, remains barely functioning.

Rocket.Chat, Mattermost and Microsoft Teams

Reasons for Choosing Slack

Managing an organizing group with up to 100 members at a time in 20 telegram groups quickly becomes unwieldy to untenable. Having personal communication and organizing intertwined in such a way, not being able to switch it off, was also bad for our mental health.

Reasons for Switching to Slack

We couldn't set up a server to run mattermost in a realistic time frame
Sreekanta

• Customer Support Software

It facilitates quicker and easier communication.

Reviewed on 2022-08-11

I adored the audio and video quality as well as the screens sharing function.

Pros

Slack allows new users to start using it straight away with little to no setup required. The program offers a broad list of apps that may be integrated so that information can be discussed across a range of platforms from inside of Slack. Google Drive is one of the most popular programs, thus businesses who utilize Google Drive as their primary content management system should consider Slack. Slack has proven useful for both small and large businesses. Slack's numerous channels can be used by both small businesses and established organizations. It is simple to divide and conquer when each department has its own distinctive theme. It helps me and my team a lot while I am working on a research project.

Cons

Slack is wonderful for swiftly keeping track of what's happening, but it falls short when it comes to talks that cover a wide range of topics. Deeper interactions are best left to other tools because it might be challenging to maintain a conversation from beginning to end.
It can be challenging to keep up with multiple talks occurring at once, especially in a larger organization. Going back over talks to identify a specific topic can be difficult and time-consuming, even with distinct channels.

Bhavik Singh

Slack: The Tool That Sent Email Conversations Packing

Reviewed on 2022-07-19

The main problems we're solving is to do with communication. Since all our team members are working from the comforts of their homes, we need a place to sync all the time. Slack provides that platform. It's the place we convene and dismiss. Slack feels like home now. Everybody's connected and readily available.

Pros

Slack is one of the tools I didn't care about until I learned about it. And ever since I did, I've come to appreciate its awesomeness. Working in a SaaS company, with a work-from-home culture, software like Slack feels like an Elixr. There are no hassles when it comes to communication... No email. Simply interact and get the job done. The feature I like the most is its Huddle feature for 2-way audio-based communication. Overall, the software is pretty easy to use.
Another cool feature is putting out status (in terms of availability). Whenever I'm AFK for lunch, I put on my availability status, just in case someone decides to reach out. It might sound small, but it works wonders when you're working from home.
Another cool feature is that the messages are saved no matter how long back you or some team member (who might have even left) posted it.
And there are so many integrations possible, which makes it ever so interesting. Playing trivia games daily is our team's one chance to engage in a virtual fun activity space, which is kind of fun.
Also, I've had the opportunity to meet so many people in the various Slack communities. I mean there are other channels, but the quality of the network is definitely right up there.

Cons

Even though Slack is an awesome tool, there's still some scope for improvement here. For instance, even though I mentioned Huddle as one of my favorite features, I've found some of my teammates complaining about not being able to connect, which gets a bit frustrating. Apart from that, there are features to set reminders and put other commands to help manage things better. I wish there was some kind of tutorial available to learn these things earlier. Another thing I wish was there was the ability to put out memes. I mean, I get it... it's a serious kind of platform, but sometimes memes just get the job done. I'd like to conclude by saying that it'd be cool if we could delete our messages (maybe within 5 mins of posting) too apart from just being able to edit them.

John
  • Industry: Chemicals

Slack is the ultimate team-discourse application

Reviewed on 2022-07-07

Slack has drastically increased our workplace productivity, especially by promoting communication between those that work in the office, and those that work at home.

Pros

Slack manages to maintain a comfortable work-home boundary with the introduction of different channels. The ability to create "private" channels within a workspace also helps to build community. File sharing is convenient and easy to understand, and the notification settings are remarkable.

Cons

Often if a notification is received on one device (i.e. laptop) it will not always push to another (i.e. phone)

More secure.

Discord

Reasons for Switching to Slack

Convenience and use by the rest of the university.
Prasath
  • Industry: Writing & Editing

Slack - An incredibly popular workplace messaging app

Reviewed on 2022-06-17

Over the past year and a half, I have used Slack as my primary communication and productivity tool. I have been impressed with the platform's ease of use and the breadth of features it offers to its users. I have also been impressed with the number of Slack integrations available, which have increased my productivity and efficiency. I have also been impressed with the amount of support Slack provides its users, which has allowed me to focus on my work rather than troubleshooting problems.

Initially as a tool to help me communicate and collaborate with my team and later as a place to share and discuss content with the world. I’ve been impressed with the ease of use and the power of the platform. Over time, I’ve found that Slack has become a key part of how I communicate and share information. I can get a lot done in Slack, but there are still some things that keep me on the platform instead of other tools.

Pros

1. Slack is an incredibly popular workplace messaging app that’s used by millions of people every day. It’s a great tool for keeping groups together, sharing information, and collaborating
2. It is used by over 13 million daily active users and has been valued at over $2.8 billion. Slack is an excellent tool for team communication
3.Slack is a messaging app that lets you send messages, files, and emojis to coworkers and clients. It’s a great way to communicate and collaborate
4. Slack is one of the most popular workplace communication platforms, used by more than one-quarter of companies with more than half a billion daily active users. The platform is loved by some, hated by others, and many are still undecided about its usefulness
5. When most people think of communication, they think of email. But when it comes to team communication, email doesn’t always work. It can be hard to keep in touch with a single platform, and it’s easy for the conversation to get derailed or get lost in the shuffle. But now there’s another option: Slack.
6. It has many advantages, such as the ability to share files and work together on large files in the same workspace

Cons

1. The biggest disadvantage of using Slack is that you can’t customize it to suit your team’s needs. For example, you can’t customize the design of your channel or change the background color.
2. It's great for broadcasting what's happening in your team, but it's not a good place to brainstorm, share confidential information, or make decisions. It's also difficult to get individual attention when you need it.

Gregor
  • Company size: 1,001-5,000 Employees

Slack is excellent and I think it should be used by every business

Reviewed on 2022-06-11

Mostly for quick and efficient communication across teams and with colleagues in other countries. I also use it frequently for managing access to my Google Drive, for managing cross-team projects through Google Drive, for tracking Jira tickets and updates and much more. We use it for team meetings, sharing each other's screens when required. We also use it for cross-team discussion about issues and to create a history of previous issues and collaboration that is easy to check.

Pros

So many things: firstly, how quick and easy it is to communicate across teams and countries within my organisation. It is so much faster than sending an email and so much easier to attach documents, manage document access, and more. It's really quick to search for a specific issue across slack channels. It's great to be able to make new channels about specific issues and to be able to tag colleagues in those channels. It's really well-integrated into my google drive which makes my life so much easier. I like that you can grant access to a document simply by posting a link to it in a channel, rather than manually granting everyone access. I like being able to send myself messages as reminders. I like being able to call people through it. I like being able to reply in thread. It creates a great and easy-to-access record of all sorts of issues and collaborations, in a way that is far more streamlined than through email. I like being able to add colleagues to channels when required. It is great for managing Jira tickets. I also like being able to quote messages. Slack is brilliant!

Cons

Just some small things: it would be nice to get a proper notification when something is posted in select channels. Currently I only get notified if I'm tagged in a message in a channel, and when I'm working it's difficult to constantly keep an eye on the channels to see if there's an important message that I haven't been tagged in. I also find it annoying that if I make a group chat, all previous messages disappear if I add someone new. When I message myself for notes, I find it frustrating that the messages aren't more clearly separated - it becomes quite a mess in there. I would like to get a notification every time someone posts in a thread I've posted in - this doesn't seem to always happen. Finally, I would like the emojis to be easier to type, rather than having to open up the emojis every time I want to add one, it would be nice if it were easier to add two at once.

Meraz

Slack: The Ultimate Collaboration and Task-Completion Platform

Reviewed on 2022-05-19

Slack suits large enterprises with several departments and teams who communicate regularly. It's fast and informal. Slack is easy to use on a smartphone, making it helpful for traveling. It's less suitable for siloed or formalized teams.

Pros

Slack rocks. We use many channels to keep consumer, internal, and tech support communications distinct. This is a fast and simple communication tool that my [SENSITIVE CONTENT] might use to ask for my help with a customer or team procedure. It's also important to "document" queries and replies for future reference. We utilize Slack to connect with our staff, form department/project groups, and incorporate clients. It keeps us organized and simplifies communication. Connecting Slack to Apps helps with file sharing, client feedback, and document management.

Cons

Slack calls/huddles don't terminate immediately. When someone calls using Slack, direct join call option is confused; it states join huddle and call attend choice doesn't function effectively. No direct connection for entering the Slack meeting.

Reasons for Choosing Slack

We used Skype for years but had several problems. Video delays, voice issues, and more. Is anybody listening? I miss Skype's simplicity. Slack has brought us peace.

Skype
Abhinav

Best Tool for Team Management and Coordination

Reviewed on 2022-05-12

Overall I love to use it and provided it has the support of integration with almost all of my tools it works as notification engine too which is one of the awesome parts of this tool.

Pros

Slack is my daily used software for all the team meetings and sharing work details. I like it has all the features built-in that are necessary for an enterprise team management from sharing of files and chatting to video or audio conferencing.

Cons

The support team is slow in case of any problem tho hardly we face any issue with this software it's highly reliable and one of the best things I use on daily basis.

Google Chat, Trello, Zoom Meetings and Microsoft Teams

Reasons for Choosing Slack

I love the overall look and feel of slack and its support for integrations.

Google Chat and Microsoft Teams
Ghazal
  • Industry: Broadcast Media

New Age Communication Tool

Reviewed on 2022-05-15

Good, good, gooood. Thanks to Slack that enabled us to improve our communication and achieve our set goals. Instead of email, we communicate through Slack and it gets a better result.

Pros

I like the cool features and amazing functionality of Slack. It makes file sharing, meetings, and team collaboration so easy that anybody can do it without putting much effort. Since we started using Slack, we have shifted almost all of our daily communication to this one-in-solution. Our team members always get in touch with each other using the real-time chat feature. We have created different channels for different teams that helps us manage the work in a more organized way. File sharing is a big part of our work routine and Slack does it professionally. Integration with other applications such as Google Drive and Dropbox is another added feature. I have the PC version and also installed the phone application that helps me keep in contact with the team so effortlessly.

Cons

The contacts tab design can use some improvement. It's all cramped up. The drop-down arrows with the channel sometimes hide the contacts and that really annoys me. I wish there was a different user interface with more ease of use.

Nathalia
  • Industry: Leisure, Travel & Tourism

ICoom in Slack

Reviewed on 2022-05-13

I love slack, but I think its value is for fast internal communication. Not a lot for video or document sharing.

Pros

Is the best communication tool. Easy to use, you can have a lot of channels and bots and it seems like the info won't get lost because it is all organized.

Cons

The free version is great and I wouldn't see why to pay for the use, since you probably have free options in case you really must (in your package with the email provider or tools like Telegram, discord, etc)

Discord and Microsoft Teams

Reasons for Choosing Slack

To keep all the info centralized and organized

Reasons for Switching to Slack

Best UI, fast enough and really easy to use, despite having a very fair free version
Omer

• Customer Support Software

Slack revolutionized our workspace communication

Reviewed on 2022-05-12

I needed some time to see the benefits of Slack, coming from an email-only workplace. I soon started to appreciate the benefit of the communication style Slack made possible, and I think it is hard to imagine achieving the same level of efficiency without Slack.

Pros

Slack is different from the communication and chat tools we used previously. With Slack, we could create channels for every part of the project and only add people who are stakeholders in the area. Communication in these channels is visible to all their members, making information sharing the default in team communication. Direct Messages are still possible for private or secret data transfer. This channel style is also quite useful when creating alerts and notifications. All people can see all Notifications in one place and may communicate about them in the "threads" of the message.
Slack also introduced "Threads" to allow for sub-communication about any message in the channel in order not to block the flow of conversation in the channel.

Cons

It doesn't support RTL languages and sometimes uploading files takes a very long time.

Slack Gets the Job Done

Reviewed on 2021-11-26

Pros

For anyone used to hangouts, MS Teams, or just plain old text messaging, Slack is easy to adopt and begin using for communication and collaboration.

Direct messaging others is as simple as adding '@' before their username, and when you create a conversation with multiple people, they're automatically saved as a group you can instantly ping at any time. Conversations with multiple replies are rolled up into threads to keep the message board clean. And, Slack allows you to communicate with outside companies (i.e., vendors, agencies), as long as they use Slack, as well. It's such a timesaver vs. email!

Slack also seamlessly integrates with a plethora of collaboration and organizational apps like Google Calendar, Clockwise and Zoom. So, seeing your daily schedule, sharing your status, and your availability to reply to others, etc. are all handled automatically. And, you can start a Zoom meeting with one shortcut and invite others instantly.

And, for file management, attachments are easy to add, preview and fully display.

Cons

Slack uses shortcuts to fire certain apps or actions. This approach is great if you're used to thinking in code. But, for anyone that isn't, it may be a lot to learn so many different shortcuts and could possibly cause some users to miss out on Slack's more powerful features.

The same goes for Slack markdown in general. There are some great templates to add greater usability to Slack posts. However, they require using and editing Slack markdown, which basically is easiest done in the markdown builder tool and then pushed back into Slack. The markdown code itself is straightforward. But, for teams that don't code (and honestly may not need to code), it's a missed opportunity for them to do more with Slack.

Samantha

• Customer Support Software

Slack offers seamless Communication across the organisation and value for money

Reviewed on 2021-10-25

Overall Slack is a great platform for teams looking for seamless communication across the organisation and value for money.

Pros

Slack is one of the best platforms available for team communication. After using it for almost 3 years now, it provides our organisation with real-time and seamless communication and offers the most value for your money. Through Slack, you can instant message your team for a quick ask or direct message a specific member for any questions. You can also share files easily by uploading or you even connect your Google Drive/Dropbox to share file links. You can also have fun communicating using emoji's or just share fun GIF's to your team.

The free version offers all the features needed for team communication but if you want additional productivity features to level up your communication like communicating with outside vendors on your workspace, then you can definitely opt for getting paid plan. Slack is a very intuitive platform and user friendly.

Cons

Slack is a great tool for communication across teams but it does not offer any project management features.