Intercom

The #1-rated Business Messenger for customer relationships.

4.5 /5 (744 reviews) Write a Review!
4.5
4.3
4.4
4.4
Blake P.
Industry: Computer Software

Very helpful support and customer onboarding tool

Reviewed on 2020-02-21

Overall they have been awesome on support and the tool is incredibly helpful. I will continue to use them for years to come.

Pros

I love how we could integrate chat directly into our application for our customers. The help center is very nice for our customers and the reports really help us understand how our team is doing.

Cons

Some of the functionality is a little difficult to setup especially around the tracking of specific features utilized on our platform. I also can get a little frustrated with the routing of messages, it can override the rules you put in place.

Response from Intercom

Hi Blake,

Thanks for sharing your Intercom experience, I'm so happy to hear you'll be with us for years to come!

I'll be passing your feedback about tracking and message routing on to our product team. If you'd like to add any further detail or context do get in touch via the Messenger :)

Tito C.
Industry: Arts & Crafts
Company size: Self Employed

The best option for LIVE CHAT and Support

Reviewed on 2020-01-06

Pros

Intercom is the lease in the industry and that’s because is the best in Livechat and support software. I’ve tried a lot of services before, cheap and expensive and I can say intercom worth every penny and it’s the option that has given to me the best results.

Cons

Nothing found until now. It’s really complete and well done solution.

Response from Intercom

Thank you for taking the time to leave us this review Tito. It's great to hear that Intercom is helping you drive results for your business.

Charlotte G.
Industry: Computer Software

Intercom is everything you need for customer support

Reviewed on 2019-07-18

Pros

I love intercom, I think its fab it works as a CRM, customer support centre, integrates with our payment gateways keeping refunds and payment queries in one place. I'm very impressed they've launched product tours think that its going to be a huge feature for them.

Cons

I would like intercom to do more in terms of partnerships and working with companies to grow. I recommend intercom to all of our enterprise clients some with 10,000+ users but there is no referral incentive scheme. I have enquired about this a few times and applied for the partnership program but I haven't had a response

Thomas Y.
Industry: Wireless

I'm so glad we switched to Intercom!

Reviewed on 2018-11-20

It is a tool that was built by its users, meaning the people who build it also use it. I can begin to describe how important this is.
They have not limited themselves to what others are doing and have rethought the entire process f customer support to build what everyone wanted. A useful, effective tool which makes customer support fun to do as a job as well as receive. We often get asked by our customers what support tool we use. We love intercom!!

Pros

It's a tool that gives you what you need and it does it well.
They are ahead of the game in all ways.
It makes customer success seamless and proactive.
It's a multi-tool.
It's changed the way people perceive customer support because it makes it fast, effective and fun.
They write their own books (Awesome!) and they host seminars to help use the tools better.

Cons

They take a while to release new features, this is no surprise as companies will need different things.
It does not have a merging tool to link conversations to the person already in the system. Sometimes you get duplicate leads/users.
They can take a while to respond to support inquiries.
They changed their pricing structure which, when it was priced per lead and not per agent, made intercom stand out

Lucy B.

Just awesome

Reviewed on 2017-02-28

Intercom sets a new standard for software. Our team relies on it heavily for communication with our userbase and for note taking on issues. It's got really useful integrations to link to other efficiency tools for software teams as well. The team behind it is really helpful and answers support questions quickly and thoroughly. They also practice a lot of transparency so it is a company that feels good to work with and support. They're rolling out improvements constantly and keep their userbase informed about them. They also use the tool themselves and its nice to work with a company that "eats their own dog food", as the saying goes.

The one thing that is confusing about their platform is the differentiation between their different product lines. We've been with them for years and maybe it is clearer for new accounts what they're using, but for us we often scratch our heads over whether or not we've got access to something.

Other than that, amazing product for communicating with new and old users alike! Couldn't recommend more highly.

Pros

Great support team, constant improvements, easy communication with users and tracking over time, nice segmentation of customer base, great integrations for software teams

Cons

Hard to understand the differentiation between their product lines

Industry: Events Services

An Excellent Support Platform

Reviewed on 2020-04-07

Great product, excellent customer support. Not many

Pros

Enjoy the integration with Help Articles, the ability to send targeted campaigns based on app engagement. Love that they offer special pricing for Startups. Lots of room to grow into the Intercom platform.

Cons

Their pricing model does not fit all business models well and can be difficult to understand. It can get costly quickly depending on how many products you choose and your business model.

Response from Intercom

Thank you for taking the time to review Intercom. I'm so happy to hear you found our Early Stage Program so helpful :)

We always try to align our pricing with the value customers are seeing from our product so I've made sure to pass your feedback on to our team here.

Industry: E-Learning

One software that follow the complete journey of a site visitor and interact with them

Reviewed on 2020-04-30

Have gathered fair amount of success with Intercom. If you are looking for a professional looking website chat, email marketing and self service solution you are at the right place.

Pros

- Best live website chat software in the industry.
- Great at following a visitor whether through chat, email or support desk.
- Allows you to use bots when a agent is not available.
- Great UI/UX.

Cons

They need to work on the pricing model. It can really begin to hurt startups or small companies when they are ready to scale up. Apart from that their documentation can be improved a bit.

Response from Intercom

Thanks so much for leaving us this review. It's always great to hear when customers are seeing success with our products!

I'd love to hear more feedback on how we can improve our documentation so please do get in touch via the Messenger. The team can also help review your pricing options as we always aim to align costs with the value you're seeing.

Industry: Media Production

A Patchwork Of Valuable Tools

Reviewed on 2018-10-03

Built out automations for email & on site communications. Engaged with customers and leads real time online.

Pros

Intercom’s initial purpose was to support on-site chat. They do this exceptionally well. They’ve branched from there into other things in the customer engagement and marketing automation worlds, and do most of what they offer very well. All their tools are also well designed and mostly intuitive which is a big plus for me. They’ve also recently launched support articles paired with an on-site chatbot that I haven’t used. But if it works as well as their marketing claims, could be really cool.

Cons

Being that most of their tools were things they initially added on to their core offering, sometimes feel like a patchwork. They would say that they’re good at marketing email automation and blasts, but they’re not REALLY built for that, at least compared to other tools they’re competing against. They have a pretty standard set of list segmenting tools, which unfortunately always leave me wishing they could do more. It also falls short as a CRM, but they probably wouldn’t claim to be that.

Response from Intercom

Really thoughtful review - thanks for sharing. Appreciate the feedback on email automation, segmentation and CRM.

Likelihood to recommend: 6.0/10

Josh T.

Seamless Central Hub for Managing Existing Users

Reviewed on 2019-08-22

Overall our company is completely invested in Intercom and has no plans of switching. The breadth of the offering is huge and supports all of our users once they signup.

Pros

I love how much functionality is packed into this customer nurturing suite. The ability to keep a seamless and smooth conversation with each user is amazing and helps us maintain a great net promoter score with our users. The integrations that are offered really enables an easy setup.

Cons

There are some manual tasks that can be automated in the future. Building email templates can be improved or offer more out of the box.

Company size: 1,001-5,000 Employees

Intercom definitely improved over the years.

Reviewed on 2020-03-31

Our experience with Intercom has been great so far and we will continue to use the platform in the future

Pros

We use Intercom inside our Medical application to assist our customers with their queries. What started as just a customer service app for us turned out to be a lead nurturing tool. The functionalities are great and the updates Intercom team brings out if also nice.

Cons

One of the things, I dislike about Intercom is the lack of proper reporting, however there is a work around with Zapier but having to use Zapier for everything is a task.

Response from Intercom

I want to say a big 'Thank You' from both myself and the rest of the team at Intercom for taking the time to write this, especially during what I can only imagine is a very busy time for a Medical application. I'm so happy to hear that your Intercom experience has been a great one! I'll make sure to pass your feedback on reporting to our product team as showing you the value that Intercom is providing your business is one of our top priorities.

Thanks again!

Max H.
Industry: Airlines/Aviation
Company size: Self Employed

Fantastic app but not so cost-effective for smaller businesses

Reviewed on 2019-10-17

Support Staff are extremely helpful and the App is incredibly user-friendly and easy to use.

Pros

Many complex and targeted features for auto-messaging. Being able to send articles within the Live Chat was hugely time-saving, especially using the app on mobile.

Cons

The cost was the one and only reason I have moved away from Intercom. It is a great platform for large companies but it isn't cost-effective for small businesses.

Intercom, I miss you.

Used Other for 2+ years
Reviewed on 2020-09-30

With Intercom, you can provide your customers with great chat support. The way to reply and leave notes to colleagues, see activity, get notified (as the responder or customer) - everything is absolutely great. Keeping track of past conversations, closing a chat after responding, and having it automatically re-open when there's a follow-up message is perfect. Intercom works.

Couple months ago (in order to have things under one roof) we switched to another platform that offers chat functionality but it is not their main focus and it has been a complete disappointment. Things don't work well, customization options are very limited, users and customers get frustrated often and messages get lost in the abyss. You can make feature requests but who know if they'll ever get to it... All of this has made me love and miss Intercom even more. Seriously, use Intercom and do not leave them.

Pros

Intercom just works. You as the user know what to expect, the visitors/customers you reply to via Intercom know what to expect, everyone is always happy and expectations are managed well.

Cons

I never had complaints about this product, it always worked and the customers we replied to over Intercom were always happy.

Response from Intercom

Thanks so much for taking the time to tell us about your Intercom experience. We miss you too!

Industry: Computer Software

Invaluable support and sales tool for growing companies

Reviewed on 2018-11-19

Handling inbound support requests, engaging with existing clients, upselling products to existing clients

Pros

- Makes cross-team collaboration on issues very easy
- Easily add and remove users; highly compatible with a fast growing company
- Enough features for a startup or growing business to have a powerful support infrastructure without paying enterprise prices

Cons

- Functionality starts to strain at a certain point; it is a chat tool that works really well and can send emails but if you have call center infrastructure then your systems won't integrate very seamlessly
- Their bots aren't very smart, just launched so lots of room for improvement
- Support is generally good but takes a little while to get answers depending on time of day etc.

It's a pretty nifty Email Software that links with our LiveChat system!

Reviewed on 2017-10-05

Pros

I like its functionality in terms of how you can assign tickets to each other and the NOTES part is a really useful function for communicating with your team about the email. Also, I love how our Livechat software is synced with Intercom so that the chats come in as tickets and are also saved so you can always look up correspondence for a difficult issue. And thanks for the new feature where you can now add additional emails to "cc." That one REALLY comes in handy for us!

Cons

More often than not I have to reload the page to see the most recent tickets in queue. Also, if I'm working on a laptop with a mouse track pad, there's a strange glitch where you swipe or tap wrong and your whole message is erased. Lame.

Magali S.
Industry: Motion Pictures & Film
Company size: 1,001-5,000 Employees

Tо рrеfеr Intеrсоm mеаns tо рrеfеr rоbust соmmunісаtіоn аnd grеаt рrоduсtіvіtу

Reviewed on 2019-02-20

Pros

Whеn а usеr sеnds а rеquеst tо thе соmраnу thrоugh Intеrсоm, thе рlаtfоrm рrосеssеs thе mеssаgе аnd sеnds іt tо thе еmрlоуее whо саn rеsроnd tо іt. Thе sуstеm іs bаsеd оn sеvеrаl fасtоrs: thе sресіfісіtу оf thе rеquеst (thеrе іs аn орроrtunіtу tо sеt kеуwоrds fоr еасh dераrtmеnt оr еmрlоуее), thе usеr's tіmе оn thе sіtе, іnfоrmаtіоn аbоut whо thе сlіеnt sроkе wіth lаst tіmе hе vіsіtеd thе sіtе, аnd оthеr dаtа. Thіs sсhеmе sееms tо bе рrеttу lоgісаl, but оnlу fоr Intеrсоm. Wе mаіntаіn thе quаlіtу, thаt’s whу wе рrеfеr Intеrсоm.

Cons

All оnlіnе сhаt rооms wіth whісh wе hаvе еvеr wоrkеd lооk рrеttу аlіkе. But thеу аrе іndіstіnguіshаblе frоm еасh оthеr аnd іntеrсhаngеаblе. Thеу оnlу wоrk hеrе аnd nоw, іf уоu сlоsе thе tаb - аll іnfоrmаtіоn wіll bе lоst. Mоst оftеn, ореrаtоrs rеsроnd wіth а dеlау bесаusе thеу dо nоt hаvе thе nесеssаrу іnfоrmаtіоn оr соmmunісаtе wіth tоо mаnу сustоmеrs. And іn thіs реrsресtіvе, Intеrсоm dоеsn’t suffеr frоm thе lоw еffесtіvеnеss оf соmmunісаtіоn.

Tasha D.
Industry: Hospital & Health Care

Awful product with terrible support

Reviewed on 2019-10-25

Support was terrible. They often provided 'create something custom through our API' as the solution to most of the inadequacies of the product. They also rarely listen or read the problem correctly and I would spend a bunch of time trying to implement the solution they provided only to find out it didn't meet any of the criteria I provided. You know its bad when a support tool lacks good support!

Pros

Admin interface is visually appealing. Widget is not.

Cons

Lacks basic/rudimentary functionality. Simple things like auto triggering a message at the company level when specific criteria is met is not possible. Tagging system is not easy to use and lacks basic features. Can't customize inboxes as needed. I felt like you product blog was so delightful that your product would be the same but it felt like you weren't living your word. Nothing was easy on this product.

Likelihood to recommend: 0.0/10

Lillie M.
Industry: Computer Software

Intercom helps organize user feedback like no other!

Reviewed on 2018-11-13

Over, Intercom has been great! We explored a lot of options, but Intercom has the capacity to grow with our team and accommodate our needs as we scale. It takes a bit to learn all of the features, but once you learn, you can really make it work for any use case.

Pros

I like how I'm able to tag each incoming and outgoing message with feedback. We use this to track all user feedback and it's super easy to follow up with users by tracking their tags. It's really a game changer in a customer support tool!

Cons

I wish there was more control over how to assign incoming tickets. The company I work for has increased our Community team and it's been a bit of a challenge to scale with Intercom and organize who is getting assigned what kinds of tickets. We've found a way that works for us, but I wish we could customize this (and things like round robbin) with a bit more granular control.

Daniela S.

Support chat

Reviewed on 2020-11-06

In general is a good experience, just the reporting part is not the best.

Pros

Inside the company, we use the intercom as our support chat. In general is a pretty good, nice interface, easy to use in general.
Easy to do in app communication

Cons

The reporting part is not very good, hard to have the info such as how many tickets were open by one specific company

Response from Intercom

Thanks for leaving us this review Daniela. I'm glad Intercom is helping your team provide a good support experience for your customers.

You'll be glad to hear we're working hard on some exciting reporting improvements over the coming weeks so keep an eye on the 'what's new' section in your Intercom app.

Isabelle W.

The best support tool!

Reviewed on 2018-11-09

We use Intercom as our main contact channel with our customers and it provides a great experience, I wouldn't trade it for any other customer support tool.

Pros

I absolutely love Intercom, it's super easy to use and it helps us keep an open communication channel with our customers. The ability to easily add images, articles and saved responses helps save a lot of time.

Cons

The articles feature is a little limited, it doesn't offer a lot of options for producing dynamic content like adding anchors or creating an image bank to easily replace images in all articles.

Response from Intercom

Thank you for the kind words, super happy to hear Intercom has been indispensable for your team. Will definitely pass along your feedback re: Articles!

Great suite of features

Reviewed on 2019-12-05

Has solved a lot of customer support efficiency problems for us.

Pros

Intercom has been expanding beyond just a web chat service and we've loved the newer features they've added. It's really easy to integrate with websites and cloud based SaaS platforms. It also integrates with our internal CRM for easy tracking of customer inquiries.

Cons

A little pricey once you start adding all of the features. Also, they are a chat company that doesn't use chat support efficiently for their own customer support. Average response time is 4-5 hours at best.

Response from Intercom

Thank you so much for taking time to leave us this review. I'm so happy to hear that you love our recent features, our team works really hard to bring you new and improved capabilities!

Thanks also for your feedback on our pricing and support - I've passed this on to those teams. Although we don't offer real-time support, we do aim to get back to every customer as soon as possible. We are also always improving our Help Center and recently launched our Academy which is full of answers!

Thanks,

Matt G.
Industry: Information Technology & Services

Great in-app and email for smaller businesses

Reviewed on 2018-01-26

Pros

For those new to marketing automation it is very simple to get going, with no prior knowledge of even HTML. It has lots of helpful prompts to make sure you stay on track. Most importantly the customer support team really do make an effort to help, and they are improving the software all of the time in response to customer feedback. The ability to easily send in-app campaigns, rather than the usual pop-ip messaging is a major USP.

Cons

Adding and updating data at times can be painful, especially as the system allows emails to be duplicated. The campaign system is quite simplistic, meaning that you have to be careful that you layer an automation using exclusions - which is one of the reasons it could be unsuitable for a larger/more complex product and or organisation.

Mian M.

Great for Sales and Technical Support

Reviewed on 2019-10-06

Even though it is an expensive product, but the service it provides are worth the spending. Easy and clean UI with integrations to multiple websites

Pros

We deal with both the sales and customer support. This software is built for all teams, we can easily transfer the chats to different agents for different queries. As for the sales platform, it is integrated with our Sales software so it is easy to keep track of lead times and see how is the performance of the sales agent

Cons

No issues from the intercom team as of such. Pretty happy with their services and have never thought of switching to another platform

Industry: Computer Software

Great tool for automation of communication with your customers

Reviewed on 2019-02-18

It's one of the most important tools for our marketing, support and even sales. It solves so many process of interaction with our customers that we could not work without it.

Pros

It's a well defined tool, easy to understand and work with. Definitely being developed properly as constantly there are new features coming out.

Cons

There are some things that look "unfinished" like you can use some data to be triggers for one type of message but you can not use the same one for another type of message.

The price can be high if you have a lot of users interacting with you, but there's also a startup package that you can use.

Industry: Business Supplies & Equipment

Live chat for E-commerce website - trusted brand

Reviewed on 2019-05-01

Intercom allows our sales team to engage with the right prospects as they browse our site, offering them an 'instore' experience online. It has reduced the number of phone calls we receive, and boosted our conversion rates. It also allows us to show our knowledge of our product range.

Pros

I like that Intercom has a good reputation. When people see the branded chat button, their experiences on other sites mean they are more likely to engage. Some other chat tools pretend to be LiveChat, and are actually just a contact form. Our users engage with Intercom and we are able to offer an 'instore service' to our online customers, which in turn helps us to convert more queries into orders.

Cons

The only downsides are that you can quite quickly want more functionality. To add a custom bot can double the price, which whilst your customers are getting used to the functionality of bots, and the product in general, can be difficult to justify.

Maria T.

A ton of functionality

Reviewed on 2018-11-06

Positive experience with minimal complaints.

Pros

There are ton of different uses for this platform. You can proactively send messages to your users as well as use it as a customer support tool. This tools is especially usefull to mange clients whereas Zendesk is better for customers that are not as frequent. Intercom is also a lot more personal.

Cons

There’s a learning curve. It’s not as simple to use as a Zendesk is but once you get the hang of it, it’s a piece of cake.

Response from Intercom

Thanks for the great review Maria, glad to hear Intercom has enabled you to have a more personal connection to your customers since switching from Zendesk!