Mailchimp Transactional Email

Delivery API for transactional emails

4.4 /5 (61 reviews) Write a Review!
4.4
4.1
4.3
4.3
4.2
Dylan E.

Perfect client for managing and sending transactional emails

Reviewed on 2018-05-17

It allows us to maintain perfect email delivery for all our companies' transactional emails and easily troubleshoot instances where emails were not delivered.

Pros

This application is an addon of MailChimp and is best suited for transactional emails (automated emails, think 'forgot my password' type emails). It allows you to easily manage your sending domains , although you have to verify these before you can send emails. The best feature by far is the ability to view all emails that were sent or failed to arrive, including the contents of the emails and the reason it bounced. This allows us to quickly troubleshoot whenever we get a support ticket regarding an email that did not arrive.

During our 6 months of using this feature, there has been zero downtime.

Cons

It is more expensive than some competitors, but its pricing model is very fair and easy to interpret. It does require you to have at least a monthly subscription with Mailchimp, and if you are not using this it is more expensive.

Mandrill

Reviewed on 2019-07-23

Mandrill has been great to help reduce the amount of time I spend on each client of ours. I have the ability to check email faster and help more people.

Pros

Mandrill is great to backtrack on emails that my company has sent out. We have the ability to view if the email was delivered, bounced, and how many times it has been sent + opened and clicked on. The features of mandrill are great for the company because we rely heavily on mandrill in order to see that.

Cons

At this moment, I can't think of a negative effect of mandrill. It is very easy to use and easy to maneuver around.

Very easy mail management for developers

Reviewed on 2019-12-16

Setting up mail services for applications we developed for clients.

Pros

Very easy to setup and use. If you need to send mail with your application this is one of the best and quickest ways to do it.

Cons

I have used it before they required a MailChimp account and that is too bad that you need a MailChimp account to use Mandrill now.

• Industry: Food & Beverages

SUPER EASY TO USE!

Reviewed on 2018-04-30

Pros

I love the software because it's sooooo straight forward to use. I can basically send the link to anyone on my team and I need very minimal time to train them and they can jump right into to troubleshoot what they need. My customer happiness team loves it.

Cons

No complaints about this software at this time. With that being said, I'm not on the team who manages it financially so unsure of investment.

An efficient way to communicate with customers

Reviewed on 2020-07-12

An extremely relevant marketing tool in communicating with your customers.

Pros

A powerful brand reinforcement tool that allows you to send your customer a personalized message according to the interaction. It allows you to have a specific cut of your audience making communication more efficient, besides the control of basic actions and access to metrics.

Cons

It charges for the number of contacts and the sending of emails sent, which can make the service considerably expensive.

Bradley G.

Expensive and good reporting, but the product quality has deteriorated since MailChimp

Reviewed on 2018-02-16

This really was a great service in helping get our business off the ground, but we ended up switching to a different service provider after about a year of use since we could not justify the cost.

Pros

This app used to run every one of our email communications
It was very helpful in tracking the send-success of our emails

Cons

It was expensive
When we reached out for help, it was nearly impossible to find someone that could answer our questions

Dustin E.

Mandrill Email Campaigns

Reviewed on 2019-12-12

We use it to campaign Real Estate agents with our USP's. It allows another company to send emails from our website.

Pros

The tracking reports with up to date data. I really like seeing who's reading our emails, who's downloading attachments etc.

Cons

Setting up the API key when your webhost is Godaddy is difficult. But I think it's more of an issue with the webhost and my personal lack of education with technology.

• Used Monthly for 1+ year

With Mandrill you can send mass emails, an easy to use platform and track emails Its...

Reviewed on 2018-05-10

Pros

Simplify the task of sending transactional emails without complications, this supports our promotions

Cons

SSo far we have not had complications with the use or effectiveness of Mandrill. Therefore we have not had to make our promotions with another application

Mārtiņš B.
  • Industry: Printing
  • Company size: 501-1,000 Employees
  • Used Monthly for 1+ year

Gets the job done, but feels a bit outdated.

Reviewed on 2019-10-04

It was ok, Mandrill got the job done of sending emails to our customers, but it really could use some work on the admin panel's UI and the PHP SDK package should be brought up to date too.

Pros

It was pretty easy to setup - copy some API keys, install the SDK and start sending out emails to your customers.

Cons

The UI of the dashboard feels outdated and sluggish. Search is not very pleasant to use. PHP SDK composer package is very outdated too.

Monique C.
  • Industry: Accounting

Could be easy to use

Reviewed on 2020-03-08

Pros

Delivery rates for emails are really good.

Cons

Mandrill it's a good software but if you aren't a developer, probably you won't be able to set up a simple email by yourself.

Bart V.

Reviewed on 2015-12-09

Monisha R.

Checks and balances to make sure automatically generated emails run properly

Reviewed on 2020-06-24

Great safeguard to make sure customers are interacting with outreach and troubleshoot problems that arise.

Pros

As a SaaS company, we have customers that use our product and depend on automated emails to get information about their account on a daily or weekly basis. Mailchimp allows us to quickly flag whenever something has gone wrong in our system due to abnormal spikes / lapses in emails sent. It also allows our Customer facing team to see how clients are interacting with automated emails (opens, clicks, etc.) with the helpful ability to resend emails that were missed or accidentally deleted.

Cons

The interface can be laggy to load, and not super intuitive how everything is laid out. Overall minor UX improvements could make a big difference between using this tool occasionally to troubleshoot issues, vs. using it more regularly to get proactive insights and reporting.

Jose f. G.

An alternative to Sendgrid that works as expected

Reviewed on 2020-06-13

This is a straightforward, plug and play alternative that opens up the option to connect with a more marketing/campaign oriented Mailchimp service. I like that it's exactly what you'd expect as a developer when looking for transactional email services.

Pros

It's very powerful and as simple to use as its alternatives. Integrations make it very powerful and the pricing is fair. This is a no brainer alternative or first choice when looking for transactional email service.

Cons

There's not many improvement opportunities to talk about in transactional email. When it works it works, and Mandrill works as expected.

Anisha R.
  • Used Monthly for 1+ year

The best tool for startup subscriber emailing

Reviewed on 2020-10-28

Easy creation of professional looking newsletter and customer emails with little effort. Great automation that removes the mundane tasks out of email marketing.

Pros

I like that mailchimp can be directly integrated into Wordpress websites to create lists - this makes it super easy to send newsletters and keep in touch with subscribers.

Cons

While the drag and drop email builder is very convenient, I sometimes wish there were more options/ the options were less rigid.

Very good transactional email API

Reviewed on 2018-06-13

Pros

The API is easy to use and the setup is fast. Rather cheap plans when you get started (but gets expensive soon)

Cons

The archive of messages is way too limited! I don't require to keep track of the message content of all our messages, but for our business we must keep track of whether the emails have been sent/read/rejected or not, and there is no way to achieve this even on a higher plan. We'll have to build a workaround with webhooks or find another tool that offers it

Joe G.
  • Used Other for 1+ year

User friendly transactional email - but not the cheapest

Reviewed on 2018-11-12

Mandrill is a great, flexible transactional email service provider. Compared to others, it is very user friendly. My one reservation is the cost, which may be too steep for some, especially when needing to pay for features which are completely separate to the transactional service.

Pros

Almost all of the functionality can be controlled through the dashboard, as opposed to some of Mandrill's competitors which require use of the API for configuration.

Cons

The price - Mandrill used to be free, but has since moved to a model which requires a pro subscription to Mailchimp (even if it's not going to be used) plus a cost based on the amount of emails needed each month.

Razvan G.

Using it for my business

Reviewed on 2019-02-13

Pros

I have chosen Mandrill over other solutions because it does very good what it does with great reports.

Cons

Old user interface, but you can find any information you need.

Lexx F.

Great Product for Checking Email Delivery

Reviewed on 2019-02-05

I like it a lot! It gets rid of a lot of the back and forth when customers don't believe an email has been sent or received.

Pros

I love how easy it is to use Mandrill. I get great insight into whether emails were received and opened. It's awesome for support!

Cons

Sometimes it's a little tricky to unblock emails that have accidentally bounced after changes have been made on the end user's side.

• Industry: Sports

We use this with a custom app.

Reviewed on 2018-04-04

Quality reporting on email sends and insight on how effective campaigns were.

Pros

It's flexible. We were able to tie this in with a custom email app and used Mandrill for reporting purposes on sends, opens, and click rates.

Cons

It doesn't hold reporting data long term. Data for sends, opens, and clicks are only held for 30 days.

Tomas K.
  • Industry: Leisure, Travel & Tourism

Nice addition to MailChimp for transactional emails

Reviewed on 2018-09-06

Pros

Mandrill has been very cost effective API solution to facilitate transactional emails. We integrate Mandrill with MailChimp.

Cons

Its analytics module is basic. I would enjoy more depth when it comes to user segmentation and email performance.

Dominik A.

When it works, it works well.

Reviewed on 2018-10-09

Pros

Template design is easy and versatile. Search is powerful, so is resending (both to the same email address and different ones)

Cons

Seems somewhat costly for what it does. Searching through sent email will throw a "504 Gateway Timeout Error" a LOT.

Shadley andrew mathias F.
  • Industry: Apparel & Fashion
  • Used Daily for Free Trial

Mailchimp Pros and cons

Reviewed on 2020-06-15

Its been a long time I am on business, Mailchimp helped me solve a lot of customers issues faster than other mail services.

Pros

I really the way that Mandrill is reducing the time I spend to deliver mail to my customers, you send and check emails faster than other software out there.

Cons

I used the free trial, it has some great features but I think Mailchimp should add more, because not everyone can go for the paid version.

Ramon T.
  • Industry: Building Materials
  • Company size: 1,001-5,000 Employees

The best transactional market manager in the market

Reviewed on 2018-10-18

Pros

Regarding the advantages of this software, we can highlight its many rates open to the public, as well as the excellent delivery rates it offers, it also allows you to see how many emails are being sent per day and to which countries those emails are sent, all excellent with Mandrill.

Cons

I do not like to have a shared session with Mailchimp, I must login in this first to be able to enter Mandrill, which I find quite annoying because I want independence from that page.

Great, while we had it!

Reviewed on 2018-05-09

Pros

I run a busy social network. Around 6,000 users total, and 300-400 online at any given time. Due to this, I needed a transactional email service that had great deliver-ability for invitations, verifications, password changes, etc. Mandrill was recommended to me, and we were completely happy with the service. Unfortunately, when they bundled Mandrill into Mailchimp, we couldn't afford it anymore.

Cons

Unfortunately, bundling services did no favors. What previously was affordable for us no longer was. While the service is great, the way the change was implemented was sudden, leaving companies little time or recourse to find other options quickly. That solidified my decision to leave- most companies would grandfather in existing members, offer a lower rate, something. They simply provided us with addresses for other services, losing customers in the process.

Umang B.
  • Used Other for 2+ years

Great for personalized emails

Reviewed on 2020-10-13

Mentioned earlier - Mandrill is great to get a high level of reaction via emails. The developers set up customized scripts to send out relevant content to our customers and partners so they are always in the loop.

Pros

Transactional Emails is really necessary in today's world, we get a much better open rate and much better interaction when we use this system rather than a simple mass email message. Totally recommend this set up, and it has the the facilities to set up everything pretty easily.

The API documentation is robust, and their service uptime is great, it does what is advertised.

Cons

The fact that I need to have a mailchimp paid account and to get into Mandrill through Mailchimp is a little weird, but it's minor in the grand scheme of things. I don't use Mailchimp, our marketing department uses an alternative, but our developers use Mandrill.