Act!

Next-level relationships. Next-level results.

3.7/5

Thomas
Thomas
  • Industry: Pharmaceuticals

• Customer Support Software

Love the ease of use for both entering data and retrieving info

Reviewed on 2018-05-07

I use it to track my clients and prospects and I can tell anyone the last time I made contact, what that was - letter, Email, Phone Call, etc. and it allows me to connect important info to any of my clients, prospects, friends and family.

Pros

The fact that I was able to use the product immediately with no instruction was a great pro. Entering data and retrieving info about a client is easy, and building history of calls, Email messages, letters in a record is great.

Cons

I am not happy with support as all they do is provide a fix when there is a problem, but not direction in how to build reports or use other functionality. I have had to fix the same problem with direction from their service group several times. If I ask for help with reports they tell me I need to find a consultant for that.

Van McLean

ACT! for NGOs

Reviewed on 2021-04-22

I generally find ACT! basic but easy to use. You find there what you need - particularly the database management.

Pros

I have pioneered the purchase of ACT! in my company. Back then, It offers a perpetual license per user which is great as you don't subject yourself to a monthly or annual subscription. I love the fact that ACT! marketing can be customised and very rare that it falls under the promotions tab of the email recipient.

Cons

ACT! can only be linked to a certain version of Outlook which i find not helpful. Not all the licenses we purchased were maximise as they find ACT! a work duplicate particularly on the finance side since only selected accounting software can be integrated in the ACT! system.

Vincent
  • Industry: Banking

• Customer Support Software

Awful experience with Act!

Reviewed on 2014-06-18

Pros

There is absolutely nothing I like about this software.

Cons

Zero functionality. It can't pull any reports that are meaningful. When I think I can pull a report that is meaningful, I realize the data isn't even correct. It has almost no dynamic features; for instance, it can't update data by pulling it from another source; it has to be manually changed, which leads to errors. Also, Act! web premium only works if you have a really high quality internet connection. For example, we have 100MBPS internet; however, the speed is very inconsistent, which causes the Premium web version of Act! to constantly crash every time the internet slows down, while any normal web app would continue to load, or try to load, or just slow down. But Act! doesn't have that functionality; it just crashes, becomes unresponsive, and doesn't save any of the data you just input. When you restart your browser, it makes you sign in again. Also, almost no functionality is available on the web app; you can't delete contacts on the web version; you cannot import anything into the web version, and you can't manipulate any data. You can only input completely new data. It's literally awful.

Contacts don't link well with groups or 'companies.' If you have seven people working for the same company and that company moves offices. If you change the address to that company, you have to individually change those seven people who work there.

But the worst feature is the importing tool. You can't import in any 'advanced' way at all unless you pay for an importer tool, which you can't be sure will work for you. When talking with our third party Act! customer service person, I asked if I could try the import tool to make sure it did what I want before I bought it, or if I could have him try it for me to make sure it worked, and he said "No. There is no way to provide that service."

When asking a simple question like, "So your input tool didn't find the duplicate contacts and just imported 700 duplicates. Is there a way to delete the duplicates all at once? Because all I see is an option to delete the duplicates one by one?" they told me there was no way to do it but that they would charge me to have them delete them for me. And I was quoted at an over 50 hour project quote, for something that took me one minute to do. So I just restored my backup file and started over.

Also, I purchased a duplicate removal tool that was developed by a third party software company, and I thought it would work great, but it turns out that half of the contacts in the system had been uploaded with their full name as one fiedl and the other half with their first middle and last name as different fields. There is now way to differentiate this in ACT because it displays them the same way, so it merged all of the John's into one John contact. So again, I had to restore to a backed up database.

The Swiftpage integration is awful. The only way I am able to use Swiftpage to any success is to export every single email, name, and address in Act! into an Excel spreadsheet, remove any duplicates, sort by region or the way I want to set up groups to email blast in Swiftpage, go to the actual swiftpage6.com website and upload the spreadsheets into Swiftpage manually. The Swiftpage email marketing HTML editor is also pretty bad. You can write beautiful HTML to display a great email, but Swiftpage mutilates the code in ways no one could ever understand. I am a professional coder - javascript, html, css - and it takes me hours, sometimes days, to design a marketing email that displays correctly in any sort of email client. In fact, it doesn't even ever look great when it's done, even after all the hard work. I would highly recommend any other email marketing company other than Swiftpage.

I was on hold with a Swiftpage rep once for over three hours to find out why my email blast which was supposed to be sent by 10AM was still in the queue by 7pm. It actually didn't go out till almost midnight, and we had a 3% open rate, when we normally have a 15% open rate with other email marketing software.

Please, please please do not buy this.

With a database as important and large as mine, it's going to be extremely hard to switch to another software without major delays in service. The company has used it since 2002, and there is a lot of important data that needs to be imported into to a new system. It's going to cost a lot of money to do, and we will do it, but I just pray and beg that no one else ever has to be in the same situation that I am in if they don't have to be.

Melindi
  • Industry: Leisure, Travel & Tourism

• Customer Support Software

A vital part of of our business

Reviewed on 2023-11-22

Very confident - the support team make sure of that

Very confident - the support team make sure of that

Pros

It does everything I do - but better. Marketing automation and data capture has transformed how we work

Cons

There's nothing not to like about ACT! At all.

Response from Act!

Thank you Melindi for taking the time to leave this review. We'd love to learn more about how you're using Act! Marketing Automation to transform your business. If you'd like to share your Act! Success Story, it's easy - just paste this link into your browser to get started. We hope to hear from you! Thanks again for sharing and we wish continued success to you! https://www.act.com/success-stories/

Fritz
  • Industry: Human Resources

Small Business Owner & ACT! User since V2

Reviewed on 2023-02-02

I'm a small business owner, mostly focused on selling services and ACT! has enabled me to manage all aspects of selling, marketing, client communications and far more. Great customer support over the past almost 30 years as an ACT! user.

Pros

Ability to customize the product for my preferred activities - follow-ups, invoicing, managing client relations, sales pipeline tracking and more.

Cons

Nothing to complain about as they've gotten the product to work efficiently with the past 6 or 7 versions. Upgrading used to be inconvenient but they've made the upgrade process seemless

Microsoft Excel

Reasons for Switching to Act!

I got it the software at a great price back in 1994...maybe $25 for the disc.

Response from Act!

Hey thanks Fritz, it sounds like Act! is helping you out. You're helping us out by spreading the word - so thanks for taking the time to share!

Carlos
  • Industry: Wholesale

Long TIme Act User

Reviewed on 2023-06-08

I have been running my business for over 18 years on ACT. Great tool

I have been running my business for over 18 years on ACT. Great tool

Pros

The ability to connect with Outlook and keep the history of communication. Create groups for all types of needs with ease

Cons

It is slow - regularly get message that is not reacting". No interface with my Iphone

Response from Act!

Thank you, Carlos, for your review. We really appreciate you taking the time to let us know how Act! is working for you. We'd love to invite you to check out our Act! Companion mobile app so you can access your Act! details when you're on the go via your iPhone. Learn more here: https://www.act.com/products/connections/act-companion/

Meredith
Meredith
  • Industry: Mechanical or Industrial Engineering

Try Another CRM

Reviewed on 2021-01-18

We utilize Act to track our communications with customers/leads and track sales metrics based on activities done within Act.

Pros

There isn't much I like about using Act. It is clunky and there are a lot better CRM tools out there that are much more sophisticated and are better for integrating multiple programs. It is a relatively easy tool to use although it does not do a lot of what we would like it to be able to use.

Cons

Act seems to be patched together from add-ons over the year and has not had a comprehensive UX refresh. It also is not simple to integrate with our other software like a lot of other software tools are

Peter
Peter

• Customer Support Software

ACT! has served us well for more than twelve years.

Reviewed on 2017-02-27

Pros

ACT! is my client record system of choice. We've been using ACT! for at least twelve years. I find it is an easy way to track client details and history. Data entry is simple. I particularly like the fast Search function. Keyboard shortcuts make the application even easier to use.

I have tested other CRMs. ACT! has always ranked top of the list for me. ACT!'s annual updates have always improved the product. Customer support has improved year by year too.

Cons

The Outlook interface is good but the synchronising facility could be better. Sometimes we experience hang-ups when synchronising selected lists between ACT! and Outlook.

• Customer Support Software

I have used ACT! Vs 18 for a little over a year for a client. I will say it has its ups and...

Reviewed on 2018-06-23

It does allow you set appointments and manage client information. But, it is very time consuming and you have to do a lot of steps to get what you are wanting out of it.

Pros

This software doesn't require a monthly charge (if you have the desktop version) It allows you to create customized reports and input more information then you possibly could need.

Cons

This software has several Cons, One of the biggest is that its not user friendly so much. it takes you a long time to figure out how to use functions. I had trouble when I fist started using it. Also, when I wanted up upload excel spreadsheets of client info into the CRM. I had to buy an "Add On" which I think should of been something included in the program.

Matthew
  • Industry: Broadcast Media

ACT! great for a season

Reviewed on 2018-02-13

the ability to store account information and contacts. we also kept notes so that we would know why a certain client canceled.

Pros

I like the simplicity of the platform, training users was simple and adoption relatively painless. Also the data was able to be stored locally which was nice.

Cons

What i don't like is what happened when we decided to move on from ACT to a different solution. Exporting notes was nearly impossible and we had to pay for a 3rd party tool to accomplish this.

Thom

Very versatile

Reviewed on 2019-08-01

I have been using it non stop since the earliest versions - that should tell you that I am very satisfied with it.

Pros

I have been using ACT for over 25 years and have seen lots of versions. I like its flexibility and that I can put users into multiple groups, It would be impossible to design a program that did everything everybody wanted it to but ACT comes close. I use it for sales, marketing, personal groups I coordinate, keeping track of some of my customers' customers.

It can interact with Outlook and Google's calendar if you use either of those programs. I am a Premium member. The bad side to that is it is a little pricey - about $0 a month. The good side is that I always have the most up to date version. The customer support is wonderful if you are a premium member. Whenever Microsoft Windows has an update a lot of my programs need some adjusting. ACT requires the SQL to restart but that is a simple fix. If/when I have had issues I couldn't fix I just made a call and their support team was terrific in helping me.

I like the fact that it is cloud based so I can access it on my tablet or cell phone or any computer anywhere. At my office I use the offline version and simply update the sync to the cloud. I have it set to update overnight also. One of the features I like best is the history. It is great to be able to look back to meetings, calls etc to see what I said, did etc. The library of forms is very useful also - create a form, letter - whatever - and you have a pre printed template you can utilize for multiple clients or for just one.

It holds tons of contacts also.

Cons

I wish it had more options for the ID/Status cells. The group function sort of does that but not like I need it to. Having 3, 4, 5 or more ID/Status cells would be very useful. Most of my clients fall into more than one category.

Jonathan
  • Industry: Legal Services

• Customer Support Software

Act! is a flexible tool to track data the way you want to see it.

Reviewed on 2019-05-21

Act allows us to manage a vast database of over 85,000 contacts and 15,000 companies, as well as over 100,000 Table records between the two, with ease. Any information we need to find or update with these records is as easy as it gets, and makes our customer service team's jobs a relative breeze. There are hiccups here and there, especially with newer features to the program, but there's never been any issues that interrupt work or cause data loss, and the tech support available is very handy at resolving any issues we might have.

Pros

Everything in a Contact or Company record's layout can be customized, moved around, hidden on a per-user basis, and otherwise manipulated however your organization needs it to be. My company makes heavy use of this feature, having multiple team-based layouts that present the most important data to those teams prominently. We also greatly enjoy the software's ability to perform advanced queries on the data that can be saved and re-run with a single click to provide accurate reports and drill down to specific needs in moments.

Cons

There are quite a few features that feel incomplete or at least not fully integrated. For example, the software comes with the ability to create and Mail Merge templated emails that imports information like a contact's name, and the Smart Tasks feature allows you to automatically perform certain tasks including sending an email to a contact, yet for some reason you can't do both - that is, you can't set a Smart Task to perform a Mail Merge to a templated email and send the result, meaning that the automated emails cannot contain information personal to the contact such as their name.

Karen
  • Industry: Management Consulting

• Customer Support Software

I may be prejudiced but I love this product

Reviewed on 2017-10-09

I have used Act personally and for my business almost since its inception. Full disclosure: I have written 7 books on the product as well as the training videos for lynda.com/LinkedIn. I also do consulting work for several other CRM products and wrote a book on SugarCRM. For the money, you can't beat Act. Act has all the power of the "bigger" players without the expensive price point. As newer features are added the existing ones remain relatively stable so that an existing user can upgrade without being hit by a huge learning curve. That said, new users of ANY software product, and specifically CRM software, need to realize that training is essential if they want to unleash the full power of Act. And, like with any other software, support and training is not free - especially if your Act version is several years old. Try calling Microsoft the next time you need help with a spreadsheet or can't get Outlook to send your email and you will see exactly what I mean. However, all Act Premium subscriptions do include free technical support.

I urge readers to take some of the reviews with a grain of salt. For example, Act is absolutely the easiest product out there when it comes to a mail merge. Try doing this in Salesforce and compare the number of keystrokes it takes to complete a merge. Another reviewer complains that you can't merge to over "50 contacts;" that restriction is meant to keep you spam-compliant and can easily be overcome by using the built in Act E-marketing Tool. Another reviewer complained that it took "days" to download the software; again, this is simply not the norm and one has to wonder what kind of security settings might have been blocking the ability to download software.

Pros

Perfect fit for mid-sized businesses. Great price point. Only truly hybrid solution that allows you to use Act both on your desktop and in a hosted environment.

Richard
  • Industry: Human Resources

Marketing Automation AWFUL - Zero support

Reviewed on 2022-10-21

Pros

The way it’s supposed to work is ok. Not great. But getting it to work is a very heavy lift. And with inadequate support, it’s totally up to the user to figure it out.

Cons

Where do I start? Bottom line is that setup for marketing automation is nearly impossible. I’ve used successfully ACT! for more than 20 years. But marketing automation is a disaster. The documentation is unhelpful, and in some places, downright incorrect. It has lots of broken links. And their support staff, all offshore, knows nothing about how to help with the marketing automation feature. I had to hire someone who finally figured it out, by trial and error, after several weeks of work.

Response from Act!

Richard, first let us say we're sorry that you're experiencing this problem, we're sure it's frustrating. We want to help and hope you'll reach out to us at [email protected]. and provide your contact information so we can contact you directly.

Kris
  • Industry: Financial Services Software

Long time user

Reviewed on 2023-03-08

I use ACT 10 hours a day, but it is clunky.

I use ACT 10 hours a day, but it is clunky.

Pros

I understand the interface because I have used ACT daily for over 30 years.

Cons

ACT does almost everything poorly. It does not sync with multi-user unless you call support. You cannot move your data out of ACT onto a competitive product. They keep raising the price of support. I have tried all three different mass email programs they have offered over the years, but none of the mass email systems worked. The email system required support from ACT to make them work, and still a major problem. I have used ACT for over 30 years, have 10K contacts, and I cannot leave ACT. If you have not bought ACT, do not. If you are going to work on this everyday, pay the money and go with SalesForce.

Response from Act!

Kris, Thank you for letting us know about your issues with marketing automation- this is not the experience we strive to provide our customers. We hope you'll give our Support team another try. Please reach out to https://www.act.com/resources/contact/ or call 866-873-2006 so we can get a few more details, and provide some possible solutions.

John
  • Industry: Industrial Automation

Avoid this software!!

Reviewed on 2020-06-16

Support is brilliant, product is awful, the developers are changing features all the time, it has many incompatibility issues with outlook and web browsers, in all the time we have had it we have had to rely heavily on support to fix things every single year. I don't know why I have stuck with it for so long.
Now they have done an update, removed the option to individually record email history so you have to record nothing or record everything coming in and out of your emails which clearly is not desirable!
the task box is small and basic which is how we track work in progress, the pop up calendar only pops up some of the calendar so you have to manually expand it to see the whole month.
when you update tasks and click ok to save it doesn't always save your information so when you go back into your task everything you have just updated isn't there, intermittent issues like this all the time.

Pros

Now it is on the cloud rather than desktop version we don't need to synchronise as this never worked properly anyway

Cons

they are removing useful features every year to the point it becomes a glorified database, it always has technical issues of some description. they fix one thing and break another.
It is very limited in what it can do, looks ok on the outside but when you come to use it you find that it is so limited it is difficult to make it work effectively.

Karl

Act!

Reviewed on 2023-10-01

ACT! is a near perfect solution. It's a pleasure to use.

ACT! is a near perfect solution. It's a pleasure to use.

Pros

ACT! is the best CRM available and has stood the test of decades. No other CRM comes close. It's report structure is unmatched as is the customizable features. ALSO - exporting and backup are relatively easy to use. It has a very nice user-intuitive interface.

Cons

ACT! is no longer available as a purchasable software but only as a subscription. Also the syncing of clients from email would be nice as well as better syncing between email client and ACT!

Response from Act!

Thank you, Karl, for taking the time to leave this review. We'd love to learn more about your business and highlight it on our Success Story webpage and social channels! If you'd like to share your Act! Success Story, it's easy - just paste this link into your browser to get started. We hope to hear from you! Thanks again for sharing and we wish continued success to you! https://www.act.com/success-stories/

ACT functionality in 2019

Reviewed on 2019-04-05

Functional software for contact and opportunity management that has been in use for over 20 years with a consistent interface. All contact management software requires a learning curve to effectively use the software. My consulting clients do not use the marketing component of ACT, so those features have not been evaluated as of yet. ACT has gone through a number of owners, and the current owners seem to be putting in the effort to keep pace with Microsoft Outlook. Quickbooks integration could still be better though, but cooridnating with third party vendors will always be a challenge.

Pros

Consistent interface through the years, reliable functionality and easy to resolve simple issues. Even in a small business, hosting the database on a consumer grade PC and operating system still provides a functional and fast connection. The ability to create an offline database that can then be synced with the master database is very useful for laptop users.

Finally in ACT 2018/2019, the interface between Outlook 365 (aka Outlook 2016) and ACT! is finally more reliable.

Cons

The time it takes to create a large offline database seems way to slow. Some troubleshooting issues require support from ACT!. I strongly recommend a support plan with ACT!

Julia

• Customer Support Software

Worst customer support on the market

Reviewed on 2019-06-13

Pros

we inherited this software and while it has some good basic functions, apart from knowing how to use it I have nothing positive to say about it

Cons

Customer service is the WORST. I'm currently waiting for my rep to get back to me about an unresolved issue (it's been over 4 weeks since we were able to access our task lists). In the 4 weeks i have left numerouse messages and followed up with emails. As a total I received 1 email correspondence.
We have 3 new staff members that started within the last month and although trying to reach out numerous times regarding setting up profiles for these staff, we haven't been able to get a response.

ACT for web speed
we have a database of about 28000 contacts and are unable to use ACT for web as it is that slow that it has become unusable.

INTEGRATION
Everytime there is a server update all integrations stop working. We have tried to set up email syncing since early this year. All that "support" has to say that it has to be our PC set ups. Yet they can't tell us which settings need to be changed.

Alissa
  • Industry: Computer & Network Security

• Customer Support Software

Act is the affordable options

Reviewed on 2022-07-15

Overall Act has been a strategic software choice for our organization.

Overall Act has been a strategic software choice for our organization.

Pros

Act has a lot of the features more expensive CRM’s offer without sacrificing usability or features. It is feature rich and simple to use.

Cons

Act hasn’t had many changes in the last two years. I would like to see more growth for this product.

Salesforce Sales Cloud and SugarCRM

Reasons for Switching to Act!

Act has the more affordable option

Response from Act!

We love hearing from customers Alissa! Thanks for letting us know why you selected Act! and how it is helping your business. We look forward to more years delivering value to you!

George
  • Industry: Law Practice

Software continues to break

Reviewed on 2019-03-15

Every time I call Act! Support I feel like the techs are just trying to get off the phone after they realize they are in over their heads. Each time I call they try to blame it on Microsoft Office and we have to do a repair, next they default to uninstalling Act! and reinstalling it. It is not really tech support if we keep putting a bandaid on the issue rather than addressing the root cause of the issue. This software is on a Terminal server meaning that each time this breaks for 1 user it impacts every user at this company, because each user has to logout and stop working. These issues not being addressed may cause this customer to stop doing business with our company and your company is certainty going to loose them as a customer as well.

Pros

It is in bad taste that you will not allow this box to be left blank and are trying to force users to say something nice about your software. Every time I come in contact with your software it is because it is broken.(N/A)

Cons

The Act! / Microsoft Office integration needs some work. It keeps breaking and we have to troubleshoot this issue with our customer on a weekly bases.

Denise
  • Industry: Legal Services

Product Great but Tech Support Stinks

Reviewed on 2019-01-29

I've been using Act! since the early 1990s, in three different industries. For the first industry, it increased my close ratio of willing qualified buyers from around 80% to over 95%. In the second and third industries that metric was not easily measurable because of long relationship lead times, but it dramatically assisted efficiency.

Pros

Ease of use, flexibility of design, reports, ability to track relationships across multiple contacts, and mass mailing abilities

Cons

Seems a little unstable at times for some features, and tech support is a game of Russian Roulette with perhaps one person in 10 who can troubleshoot a problem and fix it. The rest seem to be untrained, seem to have no analytical skills or trouble shooting abilities, seem to be reading off knowledge base scripts, and often make or recommend changes that end up making matters even worse. The product is WONDERFUL when it works properly, which is most of the time. But lookout for 2-7 days of downtime if you hit that problem that is too much for the low level tech support people.

Maggie
  • Industry: Wholesale

Act Upgrade and use

Reviewed on 2019-05-02

Has been a good tool for us as a small to medium business but beginning to require more functionality - support for the latest upgrade has been very intense and expensive

Pros

Elegant solution that works across a range of devices with possibilities for a range of integrations much more cost effective than the competition for small businesses

Cons

Not always well integrated with other platforms eg leadpages etc - needs an intermediary or requires support of an ACT consultant to implement many integrations.

Salesforce Sales Cloud

Cost
Michael

My life in ACT

Reviewed on 2023-05-29

Just so good at accessing information and organising future events.

Just so good at accessing information and organising future events.

Pros

It is so comprehensive and keeps awesome records in an easy to access manner.

Cons

Nothing. it does everything i need to eun my life and my business.

Response from Act!

Thank you, Michael! We love hearing from our customers and enjoy learning how Act! is helping their businesses around the world.

Denise
  • Industry: Publishing

VERY DISSATISFIED!

Reviewed on 2020-01-06

Upgrade were not announced, and the proposed changes not described. Initial bugs wouldn't even allow it to load! There are still bugs with things as basic as the notes section that ACT has been unwilling to address least of all fix!

Pros

Initially I wanted to use the program because I had used it a decade ago and found it easy to use and customize. It has changed and I ended up having to hire a consultant for everything.

Cons

As mentioned, I have worked with ACT off and on for two decades. Their most recent "upgrade" has been filled with bugs and a lack desire to fix them. My consultants have been inundated with complaints they have passed on to ACT with no response. Plus, they lack basic integration with excel or outlook. What!?
Contact management programs are a competitive software. ACT is both more expensive than most, not user friendly and lacking in function and basic customer service.