Squarespace

4.6 (2,530)
A website makes it real.

(2,530)
4.4/5

Liza
  • Industry: Design

• Customer Support Software

Great for Freelance Web Designers!

Reviewed on 2022-08-06

Making bold and impactful websites is incredibly achievable through Squarespace. Squarespace in general feels uncluttered, approachable, and non-intimidating to use. I also appreciate how Squarespace includes the fundamental tools of a business. However, this may be too basic if you need a more robust system. Many integrations can help with more functionality but may come at an additional cost, may not match the branding of your website, and too many extensions can be overwhelming to keep track of.

Pros

As a designer and developer, I enjoy designing on Squarespace because of its minimalistic and simple aesthetic. The menu is easy to navigate, and the editor is intuitive. Their new fluid editor update makes it easier than ever to create unique designs.

It's fun to play and experiment with code blocks using the custom code feature. I like how CSS changes are live as you're typing. Squarespace also has a great community in its forums. The forum has many people who are always willing to help with anything.

Client handoff is especially easy. After the design is finished, the client can manage and update their website without needing web development experience.

Cons

Because of how simple and basic Squarespace is, some features can be limiting. Email Marketing might be the biggest drawback. The extra cost for email marketing is not worth it compared to other platforms that offer most of the features for free. Selling digital products also has limited options. Third-party plugins and extensions can help with extra functionality, but too many can be overwhelming.

Custom designing can be challenging because you need extra tools and willpower to target certain elements.

Kymberli
  • Industry: Hospitality

Best Website Builder EVER

Reviewed on 2022-08-04

overall, my experience with Squarespace has been amazing. I recommend them to everyone

Pros

How easy it is to use. I first started out with wordpress, godaddy and shopify and that was beyond me. Someone recommended squarespace to me and I was able to rollout my ideas almost instantaneously. thank you!

Cons

I sold my computer so I’d love if the mobile app had all of the same features available as the website but I understand it takes time.

Reasons for Switching to Squarespace

because you are able to customize the site more to your branding and have more functions SIMPLY verses needing to download a bunch of extra stuff.
Atharva

• Customer Support Software

Squarespace: Best and fast website builder

Reviewed on 2022-08-08

If you are a beginner and want to build a website as quickly as possible without any prior knowledge, then you can go with Squarespace. But, if you are willing to invest some time to learn about website development, then nothing is better than WordPress.

Pros

Squarespace is a good option for beginners who want to build a website without any prior web development knowledge. They provides lots templates to design the website, which are mobile-friendly.
First you need to select one among 100+ templates and start buliding your website with it's easy website builder.
You can easy sell products in Squarespace and track product orders from the dashboard. It also has a Financial dashboard to track earnings.
And ff you have any concerns about using Squarespace, you can contact customer service at any time.

Cons

Squarespace sites are not good in search engine optimization, making it difficult to rank them on the first page of Google. Limited software and service can be integrated with Squarespace.
It is also quite tough to migrate from Squarespace to another website development platform.

Easy and Aesthetic Website Building Platform

Reviewed on 2022-08-08

Pros

The design templates offered by Squarespace are part of what drew me to using this software to build my art portfolio website and illustration portfolio website. They are clean, simple, but still elegant and logical. I was easily and quickly able to build the site on my own using the interface. It has also been relatively easy to find additional ways to customize my site. The price is fair for what is being offered, I and I like the flexibility of switching plans when I need to adjust for different web needs.

Cons

I have had times where I would like to pause or temporarily take down my website, but in order to do that it would delete the entire site. I would have to rebuild it from scratch (as far as I can tell) if I paused it. I would really like an option to put it on hold and pay a lower rate, but not delete the entire site.

Reasons for Choosing Squarespace

Squarespace offered a better looking website and was easier to customize to my liking than Wix for my experience level.

Amy

• Customer Support Software

I never thought I would be able to build and maintain my own website.

Reviewed on 2022-09-08

Once I got a handle on building and editing, I was good to go. I have already recommended SS to others; I preface to give it some time. I would use SS again if I were to do it all over again.

Pros

It took me 100 hours to learn how to use Squarespace and to build my own website, and I know now why website builders cost what they do!! I self-taught myself using videos SS provides and using YouTube. Once I got the knack of it I could get creative (which took up a lot of those 100 hours) and build it on my own.

Cons

It was so much to learn, and a lot of trial and error to go through until I could use it with confidence. I thought it would be a bit more user-friendly for newbies. If someone was not technological this would be a tough software to use. Fortunately, I have the determination and some background in our digital world.

Reasons for Switching to Squarespace

In all honesty, SS was highly recommended to me by someone who codes and builds digital things. So I went with it.
John

• Customer Support Software

The intersection of web pages and e-commerce

Reviewed on 2022-08-01

Pros

I think the design capabilities of Squarespace rival Weebly and Shopify, but its use cases are more broad. I'd never use Shopify for a static landing page or contact form, and Weebly wouldn't be my first choice for an online store. Squarespace, however, offers ease of use, design freedom, reasonably low cost, and the flexibility of being great at doing both!

Cons

I didn't like how you have to pay just to send your second email marketing campaign or after so many emails you sent out. I think that should be a free feature up until a certain amount of emails are on the list. (Something like 1,000 or 5,000)... You won't make any money email marketing on the free Squarespace emails. Perhaps Shopify would be a better choice if email marketing is a massive perk for you. (If you're going for an online store)

Weebly and Shopify

Reasons for Switching to Squarespace

We chose Squarespace for one of our online stores because we thought it had perks from both Weebly and Shopify and seemed the easiest to integrate with Etsy. However, if we had known how hard it'd be to use email marketing for more than the first few starter emails, or if we had known we'd change print providers, we would have gone for Shopify 9 times out of 10.
Luke
  • Company size: 1,001-5,000 Employees

Great but a bit pricey

Reviewed on 2022-07-31

Overall, I designed a great blog for my books.

Pros

It has the best templates I have seen among its competitors. Here you can create the most beautiful blog. I find with basic knowledge it can be used by most. It has a user-friendly interface. An active forum is there for any questions and support.

Cons

There is no free plan and it is a bit more pricey than others that offer similar products.

Reasons for Choosing Squarespace

Needed a change and wished for more template options.

Reasons for Switching to Squarespace

For its templates and forum.
Claudia

Great CMS, easy and affordable

Reviewed on 2022-09-09

Pros

I like their designs and once you learn where everything is, it is very easy to use.

Cons

There are some functionalities missing, but overall really good.

Wix, Webflow and WordPress

Reasons for Switching to Squarespace

I install this CMS for clients who need a simple to use website, without the need to do regular maintenance.
Saeko
  • Industry: Market Research Software
  • Company size: 5,001-10,000 Employees

• Customer Support Software

It is an ideal tool for website creation

Reviewed on 2022-08-30

It is a tool that allows you to create content for business websites in a simple way, it allows you to add images to personalize the sites without major complications, it is adaptable to any company that wants to create a website in a simple way and for professionals in charge of these sites, is an excellent manager

Pros

I like this tool because, in particular, it is quite good because it allows the creation of quite complete and fast creation websites, it has many templates so that content management is much more efficient and fast, the interface of this tool is fast and guarantees that the adaptability will be complete and without inconveniences

Cons

It is not a difficult tool to understand, and from registration to management, it is a reliable and fast way to create websites

• Industry: Consumer Goods
  • Used Monthly for 1+ year

• Customer Support Software

Gets the job done at a better price

Reviewed on 2022-08-30

I am still in the design portion of my experience, I haven’t gone live let with my site, it’s quite simple to use which is good.

Pros

It’s more affordable than it’s competitors.

Cons

It is lacking some features that the more expensive options have.

Reasons for Switching to Squarespace

The price was better for the value
Margot

Perfect for Creative Professionals, Limiting for E-Commerce

Reviewed on 2022-09-29

Squarespace has allowed me to build an online space where I can sell my artwork and share creative projects. As my product line grows I will need to move the shop aspect to an alternative like Shopify. However, I will remain using Squarespace as the main website for my business and services.

Pros

Squarespace is my favorite website builder for small businesses and creative professionals. I love that it is so easy to set up and customize to fit my branding and voice. Squarespace makes it easy for one person to create their own portfolio or website to promote their work or house their services.

Cons

While Squarespace has been my favorite website host as a creative professional, it is lacking in e-commerce tools and support. Simple things like having a filtering system for a shop page require additional plug-ins, or coming up with DIY solutions (that will ultimately require more work long term). Squarespace's commerce functions may be appropriate for a shop with one or very few product categories. However, as the product line expands and falls under different categories, it becomes much harder for the user to sort through products and locate what they need.

Anna

Beautiful websites!

Reviewed on 2022-08-05

Pros

Before switching from Wordpress to something more contemporary, I thoroughly researched the offerings, and a lot of website-building platforms seemed to have little difference between them. But I trialed most of market leaders every since, and I can surely say, squarespace websites are the prettiest. For businesses that rely heavily on the visual element of their marketing, that is super important. And the recent update (the possibility to overlap blocks and place them anywhere on the grid, regardless of the page structure) is an absolute game-changer, and I am totally in love.

Cons

The only thing that I am not entirely satisfied is how Squarespace approaches multi-language websites - I had to turn to a third-party plugin. It is not a deal breaker for me, but it was just strange not to offer this in the first place.

Melissa
  • Industry: Restaurants

Great for Basics, not so great for customization

Reviewed on 2022-02-23

Overall, it's a great quality jumping off point for anyone new to the ecommerce game. If you have some experience with web design, you would probably enjoy building your own site a lot more than trying to fit yourself or your business into one of the proverbial "boxes" that Squarespace has to offer it's clients. If you're just trying to break into the market and are looking for an easy to use and manage, basic solution - this will work great!

Pros

I really liked how easy this was to use and get setup, considering I have ZERO web design or IT experience. It was really user friendly, has lots of guides to help you get started. Lots of modern designs that can fit a lot traditional/regular business streams. The customer management features are EXCELLENT - especially if you use a Square POS system in your shop. I really love that I can run analytics on any particular customer, plus you can use the info across Square platforms. Really great ecommerce software if your needs are basic.

Cons

The ability to customize to your business could use a lot of improvement. You can customize to an extent - it generally requires you to have any and all imagery, content and designs done and simply uploaded to the site. This is a daunting task if you have never done anything like this before - I tried and it didn't go well. None of the themes really "matched" or worked well with our business and how we wished to incorporate ecommerce into our business.

Liam
  • Industry: Graphic Design Software

Squarespace: the platform that empowers creatives

Reviewed on 2022-02-17

I use Squarespace to showcase my work and tell my story to potential clients, and allow them to book in a call with me. It's an essential part of my client acquisition process.

Pros

Squarespace has made my career possible. It allowed me to build the portfolio that landed my first full-time graphic design job, and is now the platform I use to showcase my work and win freelance clients. Its balance of simplicity and customisability empowers me as a designer to build a website that represents me and my small design business in the best light possible.

Cons

I will admit I've had to rely quite heavily on custom CSS to get my site looking the way I'd like — this wouldn't be much of a problem if it weren't for the poor CSS coding experience. Squarespace only gives me a very small window to type in, and it's very difficult to navigate the 400 lines or so of code I've written.

There is also an abundance of unused code (Javascript) that gets loaded into my website by default which I cannot remove. This increases my website load time, making for a poor viewer experience – not to mention the negative impact this has on my SEO.

Squarespace also slows my computer severely when I use it in the Safari browser — this led me to switch back to Chrome.

All this being said — if you're someone who doesn't plan on adding code, isn't concerned with SEO, and doesn't use Safari for desktop — I can't help but commend Squarespace for their brilliant overall experience.

• Industry: Photography

User of Squarespace for 9+ years - Loyal customer to a fantastic product

Reviewed on 2022-01-21

My overall experience has been outstanding. I will continue to use the product despite the cost. It is well worth the amount of visits I routinely get on the site where I know the viewers will have a smooth experiencing navigating the site. It just works!

Pros

When it comes down to it, I'm convinced that Squarespace is the BEST option for portfolio websites short of hiring a designer which would cost significantly more for something better quality than what Squarespace has to offer. Beyond that, it's easy to customize, is a beautiful frame for portfolio work that makes the work itself look better and ultimately gives me credibility as a professional since the site just looks so good. I've put quite a bit of work into building the site over the last 9 years and change the theme every 3-4 years or so which requires days of work to get right each time. In between larger redesigns, updating the site is so easy and I know what to expect. The customer service has been outstanding for 9 years. It's more expensive than the other options out there but I'm happy to pay for how the product bolsters my work and ease of using the product. The analytics also are a huge win in allowing me to see how the site in performing - and to be able to monitor this on the go within the app.

Cons

There are some limitations if you're very design focused like I am since the templates can only do what they were created to do which means that simple things like changing margins may not be as simple as you'd hope. There are lots of tools the "style editor" but sometimes it doesn't' cover all the bases. I've had to code things in when that was the case for things that I feel should be pretty easy to customize (like if I want an image full bleed but the template doesn't support it, you must code it in. This is only for a few select amount of customers who are detail-obsessed like I am. For the general user, the prebuilt templates are above and beyond what you'd hope for!

Also, sometimes browsers have a hard time keeping up with the editor and it can freeze or crash. This has gotten massively better in the last 5 years and hope to see this continue to improve.

All around, these are things I wish could be better but not complaining when there isn't anything comparable in the market for the look & functionality at a similar price point.

Reasons for Switching to Squarespace

I love the model of paying for access to all that I need. The basic tier allows me every tool i need and no worries about ads or hosting on other sites. The time I save not needing to know how to host my site, manage my domain or jumping through hoops to make simple updates are worth it enough.
Shirley

• Customer Support Software

Squarespace Review - The All-In-One Platform to Build a Beautiful Online Presence

Reviewed on 2022-01-20

Squarespace is a fantastic all-in-one platform that makes it easy for you to build an amazing looking website in no time. The templates are clean and minimalistic and give you plenty of room to showcase your content, create a stunning online store, or place some great photography in there. You get access to powerful tools like commerce, site management, analytics and more! There is also a ton of training on how to use Squarespace, so getting started couldn’t be easier. It’s free for 14 days so give it a try today!

Pros

Are you ready to launch your online presence, but aren’t sure where to start? Squarespace offers an all-in-one platform that allows you to create a beautiful website, online store, or portfolio without the hassle of building everything from scratch. You can literally have everything up and running in less than an hour! Squarespace is an online platform where you can build your own website. There are many options and designs, so everyone is bound to find something they like. You can also create eCommerce stores and online portfolios with Squarespace. I especially love how easy it is to set up and edit with such an organized layout! It felt almost effortless. Additionally, there are tons of free templates available that look great and super professional right out of the box if you're not in a creative mood or don't have much time to work on setting up your site/store/portfolio but still want something good looking going live quickly.

Cons

Squarespace is great for small and large businesses alike. They give you a host of free tools that allow you to create an amazing website or online store. What I loved about Squarespace was how easy it was to create my own web design, their advanced SEO features, and most importantly, their customer service has been top-notch! But if I had to find something negative, it would be that they are not made for large companies that may need more personalized or advanced features than Squarespace currently offers.

Jeremy
  • Industry: Media Production

Easy to Use But Often Limited

Reviewed on 2021-11-24

I had to launch a website—with scheduling and services—in a day, and Squarespace did not disappoint. I was able to do this quickly and easily, with little reference to the user guide. When it came time to launch my own site, I carefully researched and compared Squarespace to other all-in-one solutions, and it came out on top. Most other solutions required more work to build, and it was easy to "break" their templates. It's a real challenge to make a Squarespace template look bad.

That being said, there are times where you want to change the color of a header, for example, and you find this is simply not possible. You then have to go on a Google search and find the hidden CSS code for that style and paste it into the custom code window. And most of the time, it doesn't work. So I would like to see them make changes colours more intuitive and easier to do.

Another thing to know: you will likely have to pay to get a feature you need, at some point. I needed to have a pop-up email subscription form, and I had to upgrade to "Business" for that. So make sure you scan the features before buying.

Pros

The best thing about Squarespace is that you can launch a simple website in a few hours; grab a template, tweak to taste, and go. The competitors still tend to need direct coding to make them look good, but not with Squarespace. The templates are tasteful and generally easy to edit, plus there is a rich backend with tons of analytical tools and e-commerce features for when you're ready to sell. The website editor is truly WYSIWG (What You See Is What You Get) and adding sections is as easy as a click.

Cons

Squarespace's templates look nice, but there are surprisingly few of them. I've built several sites with Squarespace, but I always grab the same podcasting template because everything else it way too specific: restaurant! Vlogger! Fashion! But precious little for general-purpose sites, with a minuscule selection for a company that's been at this for over 10 years. The WYSIWG editor can be extremely annoying as well, constantly digging into to floating menus just to make simple edits, and it's unclear where things reside sometimes. It's hard to escape the feeling that there has to be a better way. But it is still easy to use.

Wix, Webflow and WordPress

Reasons for Choosing Squarespace

Designing and maintaining my own website demanded too much of my time, and Wordpress has become a bloated, unsafe platform. I needed a all-in-one solution, and Squarespace was the best bet for me.

Reasons for Switching to Squarespace

Squarespace required the least custom-coding and its templates are the cleanest and hardest to break. I can deploy quickly and add features as I go along.
Henry
  • Industry: Restaurants

Simple doesn't mean low quality

Reviewed on 2021-10-19

My client wanted to launch a new brand with a website fast. I chose Squarespace just to get us going, with the intention of migrating over to a WordPress build in the near future. 2 years later we're still on Squarespace, with no immediate plans to change. The website's performance and optimization is consistently top-notch, edits are easy, tracking code changes work well, and enough third-party tool integrations exist to account for our needs.

I wanted Squarespace because I hoped it would be quick and simple to set up. It was. I stayed with Squarespace because it's more effective and substantial than I initially hoped.

Pros

Squarespace really is simple to set up and use. A lot of web building best practices are automated for you, with image auto-optimization, mobile-friendly templates, and ADA compliance features.

A few years ago the biggest issue with simple website builders like this was performance - drag-and-drop sites tended to be slower. Not the case anymore. All my Squarespace sites load well within Google Page Speed Index benchmarks, with image compression that doesn't reduce image quality at all.

Cons

Squarespace will cause some issues if you're at either extreme of tech savvy: If you have zero background building sites, there will be a learning curve. I know their marketing makes it sound like you could build a site with your eyes closed, but do not count on it being that simple.

And on the other end, if you have deeper experience building sites and working with code, Squarespace can be a bit basic. You can't access a page's source code, block types can't be edited, and design functions are fairly limited.

BentoBox and WordPress

Reasons for Switching to Squarespace

Simplicity and speed of deployment. We needed a whole new brand launched quickly, and Squarespace required the least set-up time.
Kacy
  • Industry: Religious Institutions

Clean, simple start-up but not the smoothest system.

Reviewed on 2021-08-31

I use Squarespace primarily for blogging and building a brand. It is not optimal for writing, editing and photos, but it makes for a great, clean website with many options with electronic forms, pull down menus and features. Overall, it's a great product, but still very clunky and unsteady.

Pros

It is easy for a non-expert like me to build a blog, navigate a website and make quick edits. Squarespace stands out above the rest in simplicity with drag and drop features. It does a good job with electronic forms to make a way for more to opt in and covers all the bases on what you need for a website. They offer great analytics!

Cons

The software is very clunky. I tend to use it on my MacBook, but have learned to write content somewhere safer than putting it straight into website. It has crashed so many times, and adding pictures often takes a very long time. The iOS apps seem to work better but that's not optimal for my work. I've also struggled some with text editing and formatting. The process isn't smooth.

Ghost and WordPress

Reasons for Choosing Squarespace

I wanted something cleaner that functioned as more than a blog. I wanted analytics and somewhere I could build up as I grow.

Mailchimp

Reasons for Switching to Squarespace

Squarespace was the easiest to get started right away.
Stephen
  • Industry: Religious Institutions

• Customer Support Software

Value and Simplicity, Meet Beauty!

Reviewed on 2021-07-04

I have now built over 10 full websites using Squarespace and each one continues to grow my knowledge and stretch my ability. As I aforementioned, you don’t need to be a pro, but if you are, designing an incredible, impactful and don’t miss this, mobile friendly website is simple and easy.

Pros

The best thing about Squarespace is the ability to create gorgeous websites with little to zero experience. You don’t need to be an HTML wizard, but if you happen to be, you can still take full advantage of everything Squarespace has to offer.

Cons

Honestly, it’s hard to say one. For the mid level prosumer, I haven’t found a single better option.

Reasons for Choosing Squarespace

The UI and usability were horrendous!

Reasons for Switching to Squarespace

A lot of research and recommendations from friends within the field.
Eddie
  • Used for 2+ years

• Customer Support Software

Best in class product by far for several years now

Reviewed on 2021-06-25

I teach classes on digital marketing and entrepreneurship and ask my students to build a website without coding within a week that looks professional and generate sales from their website. SquareSpace has always helped them build a best in class product.

The website we have built quickly to get our companies started have resonated well with investors and everyone always compliments the look and feel of our sites.

Pros

I have used SquareSpace for over 5 years now, using the platform to build a minimum viable product before scaling to custom built websites, to putting up new websites that look extremely professional very quickly. Everyone who looks at the websites are impressed with how they look, not knowing it only took a few minutes to build. They continue to add functionality over the years.

They have a great dedication to customer service as well that responds quickly.

Cons

Moving some objects around was not always as intuitive as I thought they could be. If there are a tremendous amounts of data on a screen it may be slower to edit than it always was. Very minor bugs discovered on rare occasions. Just nitpicking, wonderful product.

Reasons for Choosing Squarespace

Wix did not adapt to mobile well and just always seems behind the curve, they had several bugs as well and did not render well on mobile. Everybody knows every WordPress template so they can recognize it's not a customize website. WordPress is also easy for anyone to hack, even for those who do not know how to code at all.

Reasons for Switching to Squarespace

More unique default templates, better looking templates, more robust features. Build it Beautiful was there slogan and has always lived true to that.
Erin
  • Industry: Broadcast Media

A Novice Can Do It

Reviewed on 2021-05-31

I've had a great experience with Squarespace. I'm currently going through a website redesign. I utilized their "matchmaking service" to try and find a designer and thought it was the most efficient system. It's like online dating. You fill out a form, which is like your profile, stating what you want. You get matched up with several designers. From those you "swipe right" on five. Then it becomes up to those five to court you by sending you an email, reaching out to jump on a Zoom and you take your relationship from there. I feel like I scored. I am enjoying working with my designer. She's so knowledgeable and she understands what I'm trying to accomplish. I cannot wait for my new site to deploy.

Pros

For the most part, anything I've tried to create on Squarespace is relatively easy. If I had questions, I was able to find a YouTube tutorial to figure it out. The sites look professional on both desktop and mobile and don't break the bank to create. You can also make your site transactional which is nice and the fees involved are reasonable.

Cons

I am not a tech savvy person so some of the functionality requires an in-depth online lesson to recreate something I've seen, however, it is all figureoutable.

Wix and Shopify

Reasons for Choosing Squarespace

I was tired of updating all of the plugins. It was a nuisance.

Reasons for Switching to Squarespace

I liked the perceived ease of use and portfolio of websites I saw that were built on a Squarespace platform. Also Shopify didn't really make sense since my site is more than just a store, I'm pretty copy heavy which Squarespace lends to better.
Cody
  • Industry: Publishing

Delivers Quality and Most of the Functions You'll Ever Need

Reviewed on 2021-05-13

Squarespace works great for me, and the clients I've built sites for on it. It does everything that I have needed it to, and have been able to implement HTML/CSS elements when I absolutely needed to (pretty much on a novice when it comes to code). Whenever I show someone a site I've built, they are usually impressed, even though I'm mostly building on top of the work by the template designers.

Pros

Squarespace has great templates and an easy to use, drag and drop builder. You don't need any technical or true design skills to create a solid website. The high quality templates, with predetermined styling, ensure that even a simple website looks clean and elegant.

It's also easy to implement your SEO titles and tags, connect email marketing services, add Google Adsense and other plugins. The price seems pretty good for all that, though maybe slightly more expensive than other CMS options.

Cons

The main drawback I've had is that Squarespace isn't as customizable as other CMS options, like Wix or Weebly. Sometimes I just want to move a simple element over slightly, yet this often isn't possible within the block format used by Squarespace. The flip side is that Squarespace has few if any bugs, while Wix and Weebly can get strange errors in my experience.

• Customer Support Software

Nice software, but fragile and randomly freezes or glitches

Reviewed on 2021-05-06

Overall it’s a pretty good experience. Although there are glitches and times when it simply freezes for no apparent reason . This can be infuriating, especially after writing a lot of content, and it will not save or update the text (we pay for the gigablast fastest business internet our ISP sells).

Sometimes it will save an old draft, not the current one, this makes me want to scream. Sometimes it will delete things I don’t want it to accidentally I’m not sure what the problem is, there needs to be a general undo button. Something that can protect you if the website is glitching or acting nuts..

Pros

The stylish look of the fonts and web design. The styles look professional enough, the competitors looked too childlike or complicated to setup.

I also like that you can do most of the editing from the app, not just the laptop.

Cons

What concerns me about this software, is the lack of ownership over all the work put into the website. Software companies these days are becoming political and illogical at times. Although my team and company doesn’t deal with anything political like that, it’s in the back of our mind’s that eventually we will need to break off from Squarespace because they have too much power over our website and servers.

All it takes is one new CEO who is ‘Woke’ or a Twitter tweet with no accountability or responsibility, to blow up and a company’s online presence can be severely compromised.

Like I said what we do is not even controversial, but We have seen from other marketing firms, weird issues like that concerning square space and competitors.

So as time goes on and we become more profitable, the goal is to eventually break away from Square space over lack of control over our own website and servers.

Philip
  • Industry: Photography

Great Website Builder and Templates for Businesses and Artists

Reviewed on 2021-05-01

Overall, the Squarespace website builder has served my business well. I’m able to have professional-looking websites that deliver the message I want to get across, all in great-looking design. Coupled with the integrated online scheduler where my clients can book their appointments and the integrated marketing tools, it serves my business needs daily.

Pros

I have 3 Squarespace websites for my photography and multimedia businesses and 1 Squarespace website for my personal work/artist portfolio. I’ve been a Squarespace user for a long time, and since then things have only improved with the choice of templates and the design possibilities. A significant advantage is that you don’t need to be tied to a template design and customize the design and add custom CSS if you want more complex customization. There are many third-party plugins available for Squarespace if you don’t have the knowledge to do it yourself, and that can make the already great starter templates even better. For businesses, Squarespace has built-in SEO and other marketing tools like newsletters, a built-in scheduling calendar for clients to book appointments if you’re a service-oriented business, and of course, there’s also the possibility for e-commerce with great web store designs and templates.

Cons

Squarespace is still heavily focused on English-speaking and North-American customers/businesses when it comes to selling products. For example, for companies that are not based in the US, there’s still no built-in possibility to accept local payment gateways if you want to sell products or services. Many customers in EU regions prefer to pay online using their local bank payment gateways rather than credit cards. Compared to some other website builders. The ability to sell products or services using your local payment gateway is still missing in Squarespace as something that's built and that you can activate with the click of a button.