1,605 reviews

Square Point of Sale

iPad & Android point of sale (POS) system

4.7 /5 (1605 reviews) Write a Review!
4.7
4.5
4.5
4.7
4.4
1,605 reviews
Athena P.
Industry: Wholesale

A huge help when running estate sales

Reviewed on 2/18/2020

Square point of sale has been a great asset allowing us to take card payments not only in person when we run an estate sale but also over the phone for clients who wish to pay their invoices with a card versus a check. The option of a text or email receipt is also very helpful for those who want proof of purchase/payment when we don't have a printer onsite.

Pros

It allows us to take card payments for any amount using the app when a customer doesn't have cash instead of the risk of taking a check.

Cons

The processing fees are competitive with other services such as PayPal but still high and cut into our profits.

Jacob S.
Industry: Food & Beverages

Square POS offers new and flexible use

Reviewed on 4/28/2020
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Overall, I would 100% recommend Square for new businesses. Start up costs can be next to nothing and it doesn’t require someone to install it. And NO CONTRACTS :)

You can then add on their additional features which should be able to sustain your businesses growth for as long as you need it too.

In terms of switching to square, make sure your existing equipment can be reused .

Pros

Square is offering a software that is versatile and also nearly free for a new business that doesn’t have money to spend on start up costs or an existing business that has been ripped off from an expensive POS company. You can literally just use your iPhone with a card swipe. Or for the brick and mortars use their new and sleek looking square register.

In terms of interface, Squares basic dashboard is free to the public and can be set up as fast as signing up for a email account. You can learn it’s navigation in a matter of minutes and you are able to subscribe for the extras you need like loyalty, gift cards or marketing. Very simple, very user friendly, and the support is actually helpful.

Cons

Switching from a POS company that requires a lot of upfront infrastructure and training, I don’t have a lot of bad things to say about squares POS and software other than the existing equipment they told us we could use hasn’t necessarily been easy to re use. Also you are not able to get as granular in customizing some features as other softwares

James L.
Industry: Restaurants

Amazing Analytics and Simple UI make this an Easy Choice for Small Business Owners

Reviewed on 9/3/2020
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

I inherited this software and POS software and hardware from the previous owner of my current business. Within a week I was a whizz at it. I love the reporting functions of the software above all but can also see it is customizable on the fly. Whereas many software packages are prescriptive to the business owner ("your new software can do xyz") I have found Square flexible and amenable to my needs as the business owner ("I the business owner can make the software do xyz just in the way I want it the process to be completed"). Huge difference!

Pros

I LOVE the ability to see previous sales trends and analyse current inventory consumption. If you are an idiot, you could make this software functionable and powerful in minutes. At the end of each day, the software sends you a report going over the day's sales and does so on an hour by hour basis. I have found Square POS to be a mighty assistant and even a powerful collaborator in growing my business, and couldn't run my burgeoning ice cream parlor without it.

Cons

I have had some problems with the use of electronic gift cards (obtainable through third party sellers) and the customer support has been a bit less-than-optimal. We discontinued use of the freshly purchased giftcards (price: $50) and instead substituted an old-fashioned but charming home-printer generated gift card system instead.

Tammy H.
Industry: Nonprofit Organization Management

Square Point of Sale

Used Monthly for 1+ year
Reviewed on 11/7/2018

Overall I had been having a decent experience with Square but having to spend so much time looking for a phone number and then waiting so long for a person to tell me my customers had to wait 7 to 10 business days for a refund that was caught 15 hours or less from the original transaction was ridiculous. I had to go and get a money order to give one customer for the refund and NOW have to drive across town to now pick up a money order from her once the refund was posted to her account so I can deposit the additional money I gave her Saturday so she had funds through today when the refund posted. A lot of unnecessary running around when it could have been corrected within a day or two not 10 days! It was enough aggravation that I'm looking for another money transfer app for our events.

Pros

I liked that it was a convenient way to accept payments anywhere via my mobile cell phone through the Square App.

Cons

I didn't like that customers couldn't make a payment directly from their phone & that Square charges a higher fee to manually enter a credit card. There was a glitch with square that kept showing a different totals than what was entered $82.00 it showed $82.03. The customer said run it with the .03. Then the next day LESS THAN 24 hours later I saw the deposit total from Square to our bank account and it was a lot more than it should have been. I looked up transactions and saw where 2 customers were highly over charged. (1) I entered $52.00 but Square deducted $520.09 from the customers card, (2nd) I entered $53.00 but Square deducted $530.06. I immediately looked through their website to see if I could refund the difference but had no way of doing so through the website. I was able to refund the difference through their Square App. That was done maybe 15 hours later I refunded the difference and sent screen shots of the refunds to the 2 customers. Two days later one of the girls said the refund hadn't processed. What seemed like 30 minutes or longer looking through their website for a phone number - called to speak to someone and was on hold for 30 min. or longer to get someone. This person didn't seem to care that I refunded these customer's accts. 15 hours or less from the transactions took place. He said it would take 7 to 10 business days to refund their accts. That was large amounts of money for someone to wait a week when it was caught 15 hours or less.

Likelihood to recommend: 4.0/10

Daniel A.
Industry: Insurance

GREAT PRODUCT, EASY TO USE, EASY ON THE FEES

Reviewed on 7/28/2020

I SWITCHED FROM THE BANKS SYSTEM OF FIRST DATA, IN FEES ALONE EACH YEAR I PAID FROM $600 -$800, THEY CHARGED RENTAL FEES, INSURANCE FEES, MAINTENANCE FEES, CREDIT CARD FEES, SERVICE FEES (SEPARATE FROM MAINTENANCE FEES) AND TAXES, YEAH NOW I PAY ROUGHLY MAYBE $50 - $125 A YEAR WAY BETTER.

Pros

THE SIMPLICITY, ONCE YOU SET IT UP, JUST START USING IT. THEY CHARGE MINIMAL FEES, THEY PUT THE FUNDS INTO YOUR ACCOUNT USUALLY NEXT DAY, OR DAY AFTER IF SALE WAS AFTER HOURS OR WEEKEND.

Cons

IT COULD TAKE 48 HOURS TO GET PAID IF A SALE WAS ON THE WEEKEND OR AFTER HOURS, AND IF A CLIENT ALREADY HAS AN EMAIL SET UP THE SQUARE SYSTEM WILL AUTOMATICALLY SEND THE RECEIPT TO THEM, IT JUST MAKES ME HAVE TO GO BACK AND RESEND THE RECEIPT TO MY BUSINESS EMAIL

Mylinh T.
Industry: Alternative Medicine

Square POS app

Reviewed on 4/21/2020

This has been great with no problems! It allows me to bill anywhere and review my billing history. It gives me a breakdown of new clients and how many returning.

One thing I would like to see change is the 1099 form. It only gives me one if I sell more than $20K in products a year. I would like to be less and more flexible for small business owners!

Pros

This is portable and accessible from anywhere. I also like that I can send invoices, schedule a time for it to send and set up reminders to the client!

Cons

On the initial setup, my profession was not setup up properly so I was not able to accept HSA or FSA credit cards. It was because there was no option for me as an alternative healthcare provider. Customer service helped me and my issue was fixed!!

Shannon B.

Excellent POS Software

Reviewed on 4/10/2020

My overall experience with Square POS is amazing. I have recommended this app to so many people. I’ve known about this product since it’s beginning back when you could get a card reader for free on the mail. This app has always been a saving grace for me. Honestly I will never use any other POS.

Pros

This software is so EASY to use. Literally it’s a no brainer. I have used this app in conjunction with StylieOne which was an appointment scheduling app and it made collecting payments from my clients so simple. I love the sales and transaction reports that I have access to because it makes my life easier come tax time. Also this app sends you daily sales reports to your email. The equipment to use with the app is inexpensive.

Cons

There aren’t any cons to the service. Honestly it’s a great service all around. I can’t see how anyone would be disappointed.

Bill S.

Good Day, Bad Day

Reviewed on 1/31/2020

I’m a bit sad. For 6 years I have been using “Shopkeep” as my point of sale software provider. This is my cash register, and where I enter my inventory descriptions, quantities, prices, customer data and pretty much everything about my business. My sales histories, credit card transactions and, most importantly, 6 years of sales and customer info is stored on a distant Shopkeep cloud…. I think?
Six years ago I recall sitting at my kitchen bar and doing endless Google searches and reading endless reviews about the many POS providers and finally narrowing it down to two or three. I absolutely wanted cloud-based with IPad terminals and a small footprint. After doing a few online demos, I chose Shopkeep. And now, six years later, this lukewarm POS marriage with counseling, a lot of arguments and the threat of separation… I started chatting with “Square”. Yep, Square is the biggest cloud-based, IPad POS provider in the country. I am not a sheep, and I hate going with the Walgreens or WalMart of POS systems, but after six years of Shopkeep, I think I finally know what I really want. And for fear of sounding too techie or like a spouse coming out of a bad relationship, I’ll just say, one of the many advantages of being a billion dollar company is you can hire the best developers and programmers money can buy. So, need I say more. It is a wonderful product and no one is even close as to how it operates.

Pros

It operates just like your mind works. It is so logical. It was so simple to upload my inventory and customer data.

Cons

No option for another color system. The white color sticks out like a sore thumb. Otherwise, I would say they nailed it.

Navine A.

Love Love Square

Reviewed on 12/11/2019

Overall, I prefer square any day over stripe and PayPal payments.

Pros

Love live square. Love that it can be used for both in store and online payments. It sync with my quickbooks which saves me a whole lot of time. It gives detail daily reports which includes best seller of the day, number of sales, number of products sold and what type of product sold, taxes paid, types of payment the customers used, plus it syncs with my online store inventory. Square gives you all the detail info you never realized you need till you need it all in one place. So easy to use and tailored for retailers. Love the Apple Pay feature too.

Cons

My big con with square integration is it doesn’t sync well with bigcommerce. By that I mean, my online sales gets imported as a custom order so there is no itemized list of what the customers bought. Also with bigcommerce, there is no way for me to take Apple Pay or other digital wallet payments. Square does have digital wallet payment options with their square space shopping cart. Fingers crossed they will fix this custom import stuff soon.

Square is so convenient

Used Monthly for 1+ year
Reviewed on 3/3/2020

Super easy to navigate and user-friendly. Customer service has also always been very helpful.

Pros

I love how portable and easy to use the hardware is. It makes all the difference being able to be mobile and also look professional.

Cons

I don't like that it doesn't integrate with Wix. It's less convenient when I have to toggle b/w Square and Stripe.

Hannah D.
Industry: Retail

Great for anyone wanting to start a business.

Reviewed on 11/8/2018
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

It's hard for me to find anything wrong with Square. We have never really been tempted by the competition, and I doubt we will be anytime soon.

Perhaps if you are running a store with more products or customers you may benefit from a different system, but I would suggest Square to anyone starting out. You can get set up today, and your customers already know how to use it.

Pros

I was working as a barista in a new coffee location in my local town. The owner of the shop was pretty new to the industry, and didn't have a lot of business experience. She needed a way to run cards, and she was looking at a few different solutions, but I mentioned Square, and she ran to CVS and bought one right away. She wasn't very tech savvy, so I volunteered to get it set up. It probably took me less than an hour. The interface is a breeze to use, customers get it right away when they need to sign for charges or enter phone numbers. There were days that I was the only person on staff, using Square and running between the milk steamer and the register was a breeze. One feature we used often was using a cell phone to take orders while people waited in their cars. This allowed us to reduce the lines in our shop, and keep the morning rush moving.

The flat rate pricing makes things extremely easy as well. As someone that is not an accountant, this made my life a lot easier.

Cons

Some of the reporting features can be confusing to read, and more than once have resulted in us blindly refunding customers.

Sometimes the card readers gave us problems, but this was usually solved with a quick reset.

Industry: Medical Practice

Easiest and simplest way to start taking credit card payments for your office

Reviewed on 12/15/2018

Great. Simple and easy to use. People have said that their customer service is extremely hard to get hold of, but we have used it for 3 years and have had no reason to contact customer service.

Pros

Square POS was very easy to set up. The first card reader you receive (a simple plug in to an iPad or iPhone) was free. We created an account online, attached a bank account, and created a menu of items/services we provide. Then we simply chose photos for each service or product category so that it looks nicer in the app for our employees. The result was a very simple set up and a very clean looking POS.
What's also nice is that Square POS is good at being able to refund patients if something was charged incorrectly. They also get receipts if they choose to via text message or email.
Changing the prices and adding or deleting items on the service/products you sell is quite easy. You simply log in to the website and make changes. Also, you can turn in options such as giving customers a choice to tip or not.
For being an office that used to take cash only, choosing Square POS was the way to go in entering the world of credit cards. We have no regrets and have no had problems. The correct amount of $$ we received (minus 2.75% of every transaction) gets deposited into our account every week. And we no longer have to hire a collections agency to go after those who don't have cash or mail in checks because they will simply pay through credit card now.

Cons

Square does take 2.75% of your transaction each time. You can find cheaper alternatives, but not with the ease of set up and use that comes with Square. The bigger con about Square POS is that if you have take a payment over the phone and manually type in their credit card information instead of typing it, they charge extra at 3.5% of the transaction.
Also, the first card reader they send you is a simple swiper, but we found that it didn't always work well. Most cards these days have chips, and if you want a good and safer reading you'll want to purchase the Chip reader at $49. We don't regret the purchase though.
Lastly, if you are a restaurant and choose to include the option to allow customers to tip, know that square takes 2.75% of your ENTIRE transaction (including the tip your customers add).

Likelihood to recommend: 7.0/10

Joseph C.
Industry: Publishing

Own a business? You NEED this product!

Reviewed on 10/23/2018

If you're a business owner and you sell products or services, especially if you have multiple sites and/or have a mobile sales force, this product is a must. The access is easy, the interface is friendly, and the payment system is quick.

Pros

EASY to set up and use! In short time, we were able to set up our entire library online and make it simple to purchase and sell products. Once set up, everything is available to every member of team, so that one of our book sellers in California has access to the same products as a book seller in Michigan the moment the product is placed online. I also love that we can easily create multiple price points for products and can easily access them from the apps on various mobile devices, desktops etc...

The percentages paid to Square are as small as any other you will find, and they deposit funds into your bank account within 24-hours, with same-day options available for an extra, nominal fee. The no hassle, ease-of-deposit, process is a MUST for our small business.

Customer service has been off the charts good, and every small issue has been resolved quickly. I also love that so many web sites integrate with Square so that we can maintain one payment portal for 99% of what we do.

The technology (swipe devices, Point of Sale stands, card tappers/reader...work flawlessly with each and every device we've thrown at them (iPhones, iPads, Android, laptop...) and they look good, too.

Cons

Honestly, there is little to NOT like about this system. I've tried several others and since switching to Square 5 years ago, I've never looked back.

Kristine B.
Industry: Museums & Institutions

After research, seemed like best choice on a small nonprofit's limited budget.

Reviewed on 7/14/2017
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Our previous credit card processor charged us PCI compliance fee but didn't help us with our compliance issues. They were happy to charge an additional price. PCI noncompliance fee for more than a year. Switching our four physical locations and website to Square resolved those issues and saved those fees. Square Retail would no doubt help us more with inventory management, but we can't afford the extra monthly cost for the multiple locations. Software Advice and other review sites were very helpful in sorting through the hundreds of options and convincing our board that we could afford to make the switch to Square to help staff reduce time spent to manage both sales and inventory.

Pros

Fairly intuitive and forgiving (can back out of most screens if not sure where to find function you're looking for). Sales and national park visitor center staff really like the system, and have had little difficulty learning it. We have it set up with wi-fi on AT&T U-Verse and satellite internet and on a Verizon wireless-enabled iPad. Offline mode has worked during power interruptions and automatically uploaded sales when back online. Customer support has generally been top notch. Support Center has good information and comments from the Square community, though it can be a challenge to find the answer without fairly extensive searching. The Square stands, compatible printers, and cash drawers were easy to hook up and work well together. Straightforward pricing. Ability to accept multiple forms of payment with the Square chip reader and Virtual Terminal.

Cons

Would be extremely helpful to have searchable, downloadable start-up and user guides instead of having to cut and paste from web pages, which doesn't work well. We had to make a lot of phone calls to tech support during initial set-up, particularly for uploading inventory, because we couldn't find instructions online. Very time-consuming and tricky to upload inventory spreadsheet files that include multiple locations. After all the effort to upload, it appears that each item still has to have inventory tracking enabled manually. We assumed that's why we were entering all the inventory numbers into the spreadsheet. Moving inventory from one location to another also must be done manually. With desktop version of QuickBooks for Mac, Square's daily subtraction of fees for each location's sales vs. all fees charged once monthly by our previous processor has more than quadrupled the time needed to enter sales reports. Switching to cloud version of QuickBooks may help, as transactions can supposedly be downloaded to it. Had to purchase a third-party module to integrate our website's Magento Community ecommerce software with Square, but integration is very incomplete (total charge only is transferred to Square, not items sold, merchandise subtotal, member discount, or shipping charges). We accidentally entered some Virtual Terminal transactions with the wrong location selected and couldn't transfer them to the correct location. Tech support verified that the only option would have been to refund each transaction from the incorrect location and reenter them in the correct one. We bought a recommended scanner but found that we would have to manually replace our existing PLUs with very long barcode numbers for each item to use it.

Theresa O.
Industry: Sporting Goods

Square delivers plenty of features at low cost

Reviewed on 12/30/2015
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Pros

I have run a brick-and-mortar for more than 19 years, and got rid of my traditional merchant account about 5 years ago when fees became outrageous and unstable, and I also needed a mobile payment system as my bank did not offer one. I did some research and settled on Square. The product is intuitive and easy to navigate, and the cost for processing credit cards is reasonable at 2.75% for swiped and 3.5% for manually entered.
But that's just the beginning of what they offer: in 2013, the Square Market was an incredible add-on benefit provided for free! If you've needed e-commerce for your business, you know that this service can be costly, so for Square to provide it for merely the cost of each transaction processed is amazing. There are many features to the Market, such as the ability to embed items you are selling into your website, share on social media, etc. While the features aren't customizable to a great extent, it is still a very powerful platform for POS. I particularly appreciate the many reports that can be generated, receipts with custom messages you can send to clients who have shopped online, ability to send invoices, etc. They've added gift cards, which is a nice feature, and they have many third party vendor apps that interface with Square for inventory and financial processes for your business. New features are constantly being added, such as their Customer Engagement to create customer lists and do direct marketing to that list right from Square. This product is a powerful addition to your website and other marketing you may already be doing. I have recommended this product to many small business owners and non-profits, and have been a very happy user since late 2010.

Cons

I have found very little to dislike. I have seen comments online about deposits being held, a lack of ability to communicate easily with Square (initially, they had no phone customer service, but I always got very quick response from their techs via Twitter in the early days), and difficulty in raising deposit limits. I run two small businesses using Square, and for one of them had to ask for a large increase in daily deposits as my business grew. This was handled easily via email communications and took only a few days.

Kristine B.
Industry: Retail

Not perfect, but a big improvement!

Reviewed on 11/16/2018
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Pros

Sales staff really like it compared to cash register and credit card terminal (or old-fashioned knuckle-buster imprinter for our remote locations). Predictable fees, which have been lower than for our previous traditional credit card processors, especially for in-person purchases and for American Express. No monthly fees or PCI compliance issues. Square Community is a helpful resource. Dashboard with a variety of reports works pretty well, and it's handy to be able to generate sales reports or search for individual transactions quickly.

Cons

Lack of good integration with Magento Community web software (only bottom line charge comes through). No ability to easily transfer inventory from one location to another. Problem with cash total on drawer report not matching sales report. Usually cash drawer is correct, which means sales are not recorded properly. This problem has existed since at least August 2016, while their engineers work on it. This lowest cost version of Square probably gets less attention than their monthly subscription products. Daily subtraction of processing fees creates a lot more work in QuickBooks than traditional credit card processors charging fees monthly. Customer support has been hit or miss. We've been misled a couple times. After uploading a file with inventory quantities for each product at each location, which took a lot of time to create, we discovered that inventory didn't start counting down with each sale unless we activated that feature on each product individually. That makes no sense. Searching for sales of individual items can be quite slow because it starts loading ALL items before giving a chance to choose.

Christy C.

Square Point of Sale for Gift Card Sales

Reviewed on 4/14/2020
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Over all, having the ability to sell E-gift cards from my existing website without a monthly fee was a huge game changer for my salon company! We went from selling $200-$300 per year in online gift card sales to well over $2000 the first holiday season my company offered E-gift cards. I believe the increase was due to the great look of the gift card choices, the Square name that everyone knows and how easily I could added the service to my company website.

Pros

I love how easy and fast it was to set up and link into my website. Square gave me the exact dimensions my photo(s) needed to be for the custom branded E-cards for the Square point of sale. In addition, my main reason for choosing Square Point of Sale for my online gift card sales was that there is no monthly fee to offer the E-cards, my company only pay for processing sales.

Cons

Square Point of Sale continues to improve the software for the E- gift cards, however I wish the system would notify me, the owner, when a customer has purchased a gift card. Customers would bring in their digital gift cards for services and since Square Point of Sale did not integrated into our booking software & our company did not realize the card had been purchased staff would have to search to find the purchased card. I wish the gift card sales and the reporting of the gift card sales was more streamlined.

Aurora G.
Industry: Health, Wellness & Fitness

Great as a user and business owner

Reviewed on 9/26/2019

Would definitely recommend to anyone looking for an easy to use and up to date transaction platform.

Pros

My first experience with Square Point of Sale was a couple years back as a Receptionist in a Fitness Facility. On a daily basis, we used Square Point of Sale whether it was to buy merchandise, memberships, snacks or sign up for special workshops. What I particularly loved most about Square Point of Sale was its easiness to use and software platform. We could receive payments from the company cellphone, iPad or computer depending what was available at the time. The platform was consistent on all three devices and just as easy to use on all of them as well.
In later years, as I opened my own Health and Wellness business, I went straight to Square Point of Sale as my main way of receiving payments. It has been an excellent tool and is always up to date. What I also like the most is how quick it is and easy to receive payments and it accepts most credit cards.

Cons

Square Point of Sale is excellent for receiving payments and I don't have any negative experience with the platform. The only thing I wish would be that the analytics and reports that I receive for all payments and invoices would be easier to read. I have a bit of trouble understanding them. Other than that, overall great platform.

Industry: Retail

A cheap, easy, & convenient CC processing alternative.

Reviewed on 3/18/2019

We take all of our credit/debit card payments through Square, as well as Apple Pay, Android Pay & Samsung Pay. The ability for a customer to pay, sign, and get a receipt e-mailed to their phone while they are still standing in front of me brings a nice sense of trust and completion to each sale.

Pros

It is free to set up and implement initially. Square will even send free card processors (they're the cheap ones that let you take a card payment from your phone/tablet, but it will let you start swiping cards immediately). They help keep track of your sales/accounting for non-card payments, too, as long as you enter in the sales data for them. Additionally, the ability to edit & customize withdrawal options is very helpful. I can get funds deposited on a schedule or whenever I choose to (even instantly, although this incurs an additional 1% fee). It is much cheaper and more convenient than a standard CC payment processor, so anyone with a small or mobile business would be wise to check this out.

Cons

The customer service is a bit lacking. I've never had a real issue with them that didn't resolve itself pretty quickly, but there's been one or two times where I have an issue and get what appears to be an automated response about it. Not a big deal, but when you Google it, on the Square help forums, this kind of response seems to be the norm for most questions/concerns. Fortunately, their system is pretty self-explanatory, that additional personalized help isn't usually needed.

Michael M.

Love Square POs

Reviewed on 8/21/2019
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Pros

The POS system is simple and easy to use hands down. The use of our POS integrated with online, loyalty program, marketing, and payroll is a one stop shop integrated and makes life simple and streamlined!

Cons

We paid the original higher cost for the register when it first came out. The price just dropped $200 this week. Our rate remains lower so it will pay for the difference over time since grandfathered in....not much we don’t Ice about this wonderful easy, all in one system!

Gracie P.
Industry: Retail

Great POS System for new companies.

Reviewed on 3/8/2017
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Square has done wonders for our small business, it has almost everything you would need for a new business but there is somethings I didn't quite like. The system is great but there are some issues. To actually have track your inventory and have it sync up with Quickbooks required us to purchase Quickbooks online to be able to track our inventory and sync our daily sales. It was a little of a hassle but when it all comes down to it this register is great! I just wish it was designed more for a retail store or have that option when ordering the register. I haven't had any other complaints, it works well, user friendly, add as many products/items as you would need. Easy to use checkout for people without a good grasp of technology and how it works. I would honestly say this is a great POS system, very efficient and reliable! Plus you can download the app on your phone and accept payments where ever you are! That is the other great perk of this register!

Pros

Efficient, reliable, on the go app, easy to use, great for any store, easy to track your sales, keep costumer information that are repeats and order frequently, design and layout is simple and very easy on the eyes, it has two versions to layout your items, either a grid or a list so it is a personal preference of which you like to use, deposits your money that night.

Cons

Can't sync with Quickbooks unless you have Quickbooks Online, sometimes takes a while to start up and get going, the card swipe is very picky you HAVE to swipe it straight through or it doesn't accept the card (something that should be resolved soon I hope!) I just wish it wasn't only able to be used on Apple too. I am not a huge fan of Apple products. I would prefer to use a Samsung or Andriod tablet rather then a Ipad, but that is just a personal preference.

Likelihood to recommend: 6.0/10

Melody E.
Industry: Food & Beverages

Excellent as a cash register for small businesses

Reviewed on 10/29/2018

At the ice cream parlor I work at, the register is programmed with all of the items we sell. You can program buttons to create discounts either by a percentage of the sale or with a flat dollar amount. This program tracks sales by day and by product sold. We have used this for probably 2 years now and it allows us to track sales from the years past to see what the trends are. For example, how busy were we last Mother's Day or when to our sales start dropping as we head into/winter fall. This allows us to make informed decisions on how much staffing we need and what hours to keep our business open for. We can also see how well certain items are selling. So when we introduce new items it allows us to see if they are selling well and gives us insight as to how we need to market for our business. This replaced a simple cash register that we used to have, but it is so much more than a cash register with all of the information you can track and use to make decisions for your business.

Pros

This is an easily programmable software that can be used to create a point of sale register. I work at a coffee/ice cream parlor and we use the software for our register, and it stores our sales information and has been very helpful in marketing and determining what products have been selling well or poorly

Cons

I don't know if there's anything I don't like about this program. It's user friendly and I haven't really found any limitations or holdbacks to our business because of this

There's room for improvement, but it's currently THE Point of Sale

Reviewed on 1/1/2019

Overall, as an independent artist, I'd recommend Square in a blink to anyone in that position. Free reader, easy to use, mobile...It's perfect. For small businesses, I'd also suggest Square - I've worked with the alternative, Clover, and it's so very slow and not as user friendly - but I think Square needs to continue evolving to keep up with those demands. And I'm sure they will given they've already created the flippable platform.

Pros

Square is simple to use and that's what makes it so popular. The card readers are simple, organizing your inventory is simple. It works really well for me as an independent artist at art fairs and such. I've never run into any trouble using it in that context.

The new flip screen platform is also super wonderful for retail stores and cafes as it takes the pressure off of the employee and the awkwardness of asking for tips etc... disappates. It also seems to run smoother by virtue of the platform not running other apps. Definitely love that Square is expanding their market to meet the needs of larger companies.

Cons

It gets overloaded and laggy pretty quickly when used in a more dense environment. When I've used Square at small businesses as a sales employee, I've experienced lag between pressing on an item and having it go to the item menu or add to the cart. Also, the free square readers that go into your audio jack are awfully temperamental with continued use and you either have to keep re-ordering them, or just buckle down and buy a reader. The only time the latter hasn't worked was when I had to be mobile while taking orders.

An ISBN scanner would also be super cool integration and would allow Square to be used in more places.

Amanda josalene W.
Industry: Apparel & Fashion

In combination with an online shop, Square has more pros than competitors

Reviewed on 9/22/2019

As stated above, Square has had numerous pros for me when it comes to my apparel business.

Pros

I love Square and have been a loyal user of Square POS & Square payments. For starters, Square is what helped pave the path for me to be able to launch my clothing / apparel business outside of Etsy. I wanted to launch my own site, have independence away from online marketplaces, and have control over my payments, sales, invoices, etc., and Square is what gave me this opportunity. I am able to do everything within the app, whether it is in-person sales or online. Online, I was able to connect Square with their website service (Weebly), which mean my payments & sales go directly to my Square account.

These are the main pros for me with using Square:
-Good processing fees
-Free Square reader was provided to me (plugs into my iPhone and uses Bluetooth) for in-person sales; allows me to work pop-up shop shows
-Instant transfers to my bank; this was SUPER critical to me since I work in a made-to-order apparel business. I need to have funds instantly for fabric purchases, supplies, shipping supplies, etc.
-Quick invoicing
-Ability to organize customer info and customer data
-Ability to order gift cards for my shop directly through Square

Cons

I have no cons; Square has been my go-to payment processing software and I will not switch in the future.

Sean U.
Industry: Religious Institutions

Square is the best solution for being able to accept credit/debit cards for small businesses

Reviewed on 7/23/2019

Like I said, it was rocky to start with because smartphones and that kind of tech were not openly out in everyday life. but once that changed, acceptance of Square did as well. Wonderful product!

Pros

- It's easy to use.
- I have never had a situation where something had to be refunded.
- I've never heard of a complaint from someone who's card was used for a transaction.
- super affordable!
- Intuitive

Cons

when Square first came out, people were cautious and skeptical. I maybe only performed several transactions in the first couple years. then I stopped using it entirely for a bit, not because of square, but because the public in our area was just not up to date with "modern technologies" lol. Now in the age of technology where everyone has a smart phone people are more than willing to pay somewhere that uses Square.