1,746 reviews

Stripe

Online payment processing for internet businesses

4.7 /5 (1746 reviews) Write a Review!
4.7
4.3
1,746 reviews
Industry: Financial Services

An incredible API

Used Weekly for Free Trial
Reviewed on 2020-09-24

We use it on a test project to handle a new payment mechanism for retails.

Pros

As a CTO stripe provide one of the greatest API I have seen to handle payment process. The ease of integration is really what makes stripe so unique.

Cons

The product is a little bit pricy, but again regarding the overall quality of it, I'm willing to pay the price.

Souhil S.

Secure Payment Processing for Online Business

Reviewed on 2020-12-01

Stripe really helped me to grow my business by accepting business payments especially international payments and also, helped me to gain trust from my customers/clients because it's one of the largest payment platforms in the market right now.
Getting reports from Stripe is great because I can see my Website and my Business performance and also, I get useful marketing tools from the Platform.
Hope they will keep the good work and add some useful features for us in the future.

Pros

I really like it because I use it with Shopify and their service is one of the Best also, It's very easy to use with Shopify and it took me just a few minutes to set up.
I can receive any payment from +100 currencies without any problem, and they are converted automatically.
I can receive payments from my Customers/Clients on the website or via the mobile app.
I like it because I can send invoices to anyone to get paid for my goods and services.
It protects me from online scammers and from fake orders and always blocks them and sends me a warning to be careful and to protect myself and the website.
I can send mass payouts to many people and no need to send them one by one.
I like their marketing tools because they allow and help me to market and grow my business.
Stripe fees are one of the best in the market and I hope they will keep them as low as it's right now and they don't have any additional fees or hidden fees.
Also, the Stripe support team is great and very helpful especially if I have problems with payments and they have a lot of helpful resources.
I like Stripe, and I use it for my business and the most thing is I have the freedom and I feel like I'm in control of my money and it's helping me to grow my business and to take it to the next level.

Cons

They can support other countries in the future.
They can process the payment fast because the review is taking a little longer sometimes especially for international.
They can add more options for us if we want to use it to send or receive personal payments.

Nick T.

The Best Payment Processor for both Beginners and Experienced Developers

Reviewed on 2019-09-04

My experience with Stripe has been fantastic overall. They have done a great job with user experience and documentation. It's a company that truly opens up a world of entrepreneurial possibilities for everyone.

Pros

Stripe is easy to implement and offers a robust API for experienced developers to create highly customized solutions. It's easy to integrate with other platforms, create one-off charges for customers or subscriptions.

Cons

While the fees are competitive, they can get high on high dollar transactions. I try to resort to ACH transactions for larger transactions, but they can take about a week to process. I wish this was faster.

Dave W.

The Gold Standard for Accepting Online Payments

Reviewed on 2019-05-03

I can't say anything negative about these guys. For all the areas PayPal fails, and is incredibly frustrating to work with sometimes, Stripe comes in and makes everything simple.

They are THE gold standard for accepting online payments.

Pros

Stripe is one of those products that JUST WORKS. They have meticulously thought through every detail of accepting online payments, and they take care of it all in the background so you can run your business.

They have automated fraud detection, a beautiful UI, several bank deposit scheduling options, just the right amount of customization options for invoices & receipts, seamlessly allow for recurring subscriptions, and provide great reporting.

They also have an Android app with limited features, but it provides a great overview of your daily, weekly and monthly stats.

Cons

Honestly, I can't think of any. I've never had a problem with any part of their software. It's integrated seamlessly with a WordPress plugin I use called Easy Digital Downloads, and I've had no issues in the 12 months since I've been selling with Stripe.

If I HAD TO mention one, it would be that they aren't available in all countries yet. They are expanding to add more countries, and have about 10 or so in a pilot program right now, but this could be a potential deal breaker if you do business in one of the countries they don't support.

Michael O.
Industry: Food & Beverages

Stripe is the best payment gateway

Reviewed on 2019-12-06

Great. I was so happy when I found Stripe. I have never considered using anything else.

Pros

I like that it is easy to get up and running taking credit cards. The system has never failed me in 4 years.

Cons

I don't know. It works great, it's seamless. I guess what I like least about the product is the fee.

Teegan F.
Industry: Hospital & Health Care

Works Seamlessly with our billing software

Reviewed on 2019-08-26

This software, because of it's tight integration with Kareo EHR has allowed us to quickly and efficiently take payment from patients from a variety of credit card types. Because it is not an extra system, this has significantly cut down on the amount of training required for employees.

Pros

The reason we choose to use Stripe over another money collection service is that it works seamlessly with our health record billing software. This makes the process of checking patients out quick and efficient. We loved that stripe works with a credit card swiper as well. I also love having access to all of my transaction data in the Stripe mobile app.

Cons

The only problem I've run into is that since we are using Stripe as an integrative system, it doesn't register different patients in our EHR as "Customer" in the Stripe system. So I am unable to see statistics like the number of new customers and average revenue per customer. I would also like to see an option to customize which days are displayed when showing data for a week. For example: the graphs drop all the way to 0 on the weekends and our day off, which makes the income have sharp peaks and valleys.

Industry: Events Services

Excellent platform for build a SaaS app

Reviewed on 2020-04-13

So far, the Stripe team has been great and the platform has been very reliable. Most issues we have experienced are generally related to the credit card issuer and not Stripe.

Pros

One of the best APIs out there. Many examples and great customer support make Stripe easy to integrate. A broad feature set allows you to grow into the product as needed. Excellent Partner Program support as well.

Cons

This is not necessarily Stripe's fault as they do their best to shield you as best as possible from changes to the financial / banking networks, but it can be difficult to keep up with these changes as their API is updated to support them (e.g. privacy changes, refund policy changes, etc...).

Jeffrey K.
Industry: Computer Software

Good, but you are on your own

Reviewed on 2020-12-15

We used Stripe in 2016 to automate the subscription portion of the software we integrated with. We had a home-built billing solution and it was problematic. We went with another billing software and use Stripe as our gateway. It has been fine, and Stripe does what we need it to do. As I mentioned, support and the dispute resolution is a problem, but mostly Stripe is invisible and it takes care of what we need it to do (which is probably the best we can say that it should do).

Pros

Stripe is pretty easy to use, the interface makes sense, and it has a lot of connections to a lot of other softwares. They have added lots of functionality in the past 4-5 years, and I would imagine it could be a one-stop for new products

Cons

Their support is an actual joke. There is no phone, there is only email support, and it is not especially helpful. That is without a doubt the biggest downside. Particularly when you are working with your payments and processing, there is a need for some help. I am guessing that when you are doing lots of volume, you can get dedicated support, but we pay a not-insignificant amount and have found the process problematic.

Dispute resolution is also painful through Stripe, but that is probably just the nature of financial institutions working with each other.

Likelihood to recommend: 7.0/10

Chris C.
Industry: Marketing & Advertising

Started off great, but ended up being a payment processor that I would not recommend.

Reviewed on 2019-04-30

Overall, I loved Stripe in the beginning, but after seeing the holes in the fraud prevention filter I immediately removed it from my website. It is not worth the risk of dealing with chargebacks for fraudulent payments, so I chose to run all transactions through PayPal, and I've had zero issues since.

Pros

Stripe is extremely easy to use and provides functionality that businesses, both small and large, are looking for when it comes to collecting payments online.

From the start, I was able to create an account and add Stripe to my eCommerce website within a matter of minutes. The features (such as Apple Pay) are great with Stripe. Similarly, Stripe integrates perfectly with WordPress and Woocommerce.

Cons

After a few months of using Stripe, I began to see signs that were very concerning. Stripe's "Radar" fraud protection filter began to let several questionable payments process without flagging them. Even when pushed, Stripe's customer service team said that the payments were safe and there were no signs of fraud. However, on more than one occasion I just knew that something was not right when these types of payments would come through. By digging into my site's analytics I was able to see that the payments were being sent from out of the country or from different zip codes, and that was enough to promote me to refund all of the questionable payments.

Likelihood to recommend: 3.0/10

Joe K.

Easiest Payment Processing for WooCommerce

Reviewed on 2019-08-21

Overall, I haven't had any issues with Stripe.

Pros

Extremely easy to set up with WooCommerce. I've tried a few different payment processing solutions and Stripe was by far the easiest. Also free to set up and connect, unlike others like Authorize.net.

Cons

3.5% for American Express transactions is a little high / annoying. But it's just a minor con from the eyes of the seller.

Jared D.

Best Payment Gateway Out There

Used Monthly for 2+ years
Reviewed on 2020-01-11

I wish I had would've known about Stripe sooner because I would've had my previous employee switch from Paypal to Stripe to get a lower processing rate.

Pros

Stripe's payment gateway is the leader in the payment processing industry. Their app itself is so simple to navigate, but also very powerful. Our company allows customers to use Stripe for their payment processing as well as Stripe Express checkout. Stripe also offers a nonprofit rate to U.S. based nonprofits of just 2.2% + $0.30 per transaction (3.5% for AMEX).

Cons

Stripe does have some limitations with what fields are available via their API to sync into third-party apps. They also do not have as high requirements on how partners use their API, which has caused our integration to have data sync over from other third-part apps that isn't the cleanest. Stripe also does not allow ACH transactions in foreign countries like Canada, only the U.S. However, this is something that they're working on.

Industry: Information Technology & Services

Awesome payment collecting tool & API

Reviewed on 2019-05-02

Pros

We added Stripe to our web & mobile applications to accept payments for our shop. The technical implementation using Stripe's API was fairly simple & straightforward and less scary than anticipated. Their customer support offers live chat and is always very friendly and helpful. The dashboard is neatly designed and does everything you need.

Cons

The features of Stripe seem to be unnecessarily limited: basic features seem to be missing. For example,​ it is not possible to create an invoice from a payment automatically collected using Stripe's API. When sending out a payment prompt using Stripe manually, one CAN create an invoice after the payment was collected.

Samuel A.
Industry: Hospitality

Stripe is superb Payment Solution for Small and Medium scale business

Reviewed on 2020-12-13

We've had an overall good experience using Stripe. It's easy to set up and integrate with other software. Having to wait for months to receive feedback regarding a chargeback isn't encouraging. Hopefully, that will change in the future.

Pros

Stripe has lots of pros that give it an edge in the Payment gateway solution industry. It's easy to set up. Stripe integrates seamlessly with a wide range of other products and services. Stripe makes it easy to accept payment from clients via invoice payments and much more. To summarize this, you won't miss it by going with Stripe. They offer all that you need to accept payments from clients and much more.

Cons

I feel like Stripe could do a better job protecting, or at the least, notifying their users of impending chargebacks. You have a couple of days to submit supporting documents to prove your case, but it takes 3 months on average to get feedback. That's quite a long time to wait especially when your customers/clients dealt with you in bad faith. I feel they could do better in this regard.

Jeff W.
Industry: Real Estate

Stripe

Reviewed on 2020-02-04

Overall, I am very happy with Stripe. When it comes to basic function on why I use Stripe, which is processing credit card payments, it does as well, if not better than many other programs offered on the market.

Pros

After trying several credit card processing programs, I am happy that I found Stripe. The most important factors in deciding to convert to Stripe was the integration with my reporting software and the simplicity of the initial setup.

Cons

When compared to other programs on the market, I feel Stripe is lagging behind in terms of Dashboard options and general reporting options.

overall very good

Reviewed on 2018-02-07

Pros

Easy to use and quick to get started. The platform is easy to navigate through. The search function is superb

Cons

We are stuck with using stripe as our primary software only has stripe api connection. that part works flawlessly - however on the other side of the transaction there is the accounting side. the issue is stripe groups multiple transactions together and then deposits them into you bank as a single transaction. Xero does not then allow these transactions to be easily split up in the same way they came in ...The API seems to have severe limitations. Why it is in 2018 that we need third party software to identify whats happening with our credit card merchant payments? Stripe and Xero are 2 of the biggest and supposedly cutting edge softwares out there and yet they can't seem to find a way to talk to one another in a way that allows proper reconciliation. Between my book-keeper and 2 lots of software I probably spend x3 what the Xero subscription costs, just keeping on top of this very basic tedious task of reconciling stripe transactions. Totally ridiculous and enough to make me actively seek alternatives.

Bryan M.
Industry: Design

The best payment processing for webapps

Reviewed on 2018-05-15

Pros

Before Stripe, we used complicated payment gateway+merchant account solutions that required PCI compliance, had rudimentary recurring billing options and were a headache to setup. Stripe makes accepting payments easy. Stripe's reporting features are better than most payment gateway providers and the integration options are so easy and flexible that a developer who has never worked with Stripe before can get a simple payment system setup in a few hours.

Cons

I'd like to see an improved Coupon system in Stripe in the future. Right now coupon codes created in Stripe are for recurring subscriptions only and cannot be used on one off purchases. This requires that whenever we need this feature, we need to build our own coupon system and explain to product owners that the coupons in Stripe will not work for them in their situation.

Industry: Education Management

Stripe delivers

Reviewed on 2018-12-21

We are a Bible College with students in Satellite locations around the world. Stripe makes it easy for all of our students to register online and make their tuition payments.

Pros

We have been using this product at the school now for several years and it is consistently excellent as a third party processor of payments for our students. The admin features give us access to information we need to verify, process, refund and review payments received. Very few card payments are declined and students are able to pay online easily with very few hassles. Highly recommend this service for 3rd party processing of payments online.

Cons

If there is a negative, it is only 1% of the overall product. Occasionally, we get 2 emails announcing the same payment. Again, that rarely happens, so it's not much of a negative at all because it is so rare.

Brandon H.
Industry: Consumer Electronics

The Best Payment Processing I've Ever Used!

Reviewed on 2016-11-04

I've been using Stripe as our sole payment processor for over a year now and it has been nothing but great! Their plug and play integrations (Kickstarter, Celery, Shopify, etc.) has made it simple for us to scale our Kickstarter project to a full-fledge ecommerce site. Payment processing is unbelievably simple, and the added benefit of Stripe's customer tracking makes it easy to see conversion and retention rates. Their API integrations and documentation are also stellar and has afforded us the ability to do custom integrations where needed. The analytics platform they offer is basic, but I appreciate the ability to see some barebones metrics from time to time as I'm making a quick glance - we use Baremetrics for our in-depth sales analytics.

Cons

The only con is that handling chargebacks can be cumbersome if you run into them. Especially doing ecommerce work, we find that a lot of customers will simply do a chargeback instead of communicating with us to ask for a refund. Stripe's UI for chargebacks and disputes is good, but can be confusing to track the status of previous ones you've responded to.

Joshua S.
Industry: Publishing

Great Way To Pay or Get Paid

Reviewed on 2019-08-01

Publishing, paying freelancers and getting paid

Pros

I have used this software both to pay and get paid and must say it is very useful. What I like most about receiving payments through stripe is that they don't take long at all, usually payments are deposited within twenty four hours after it has been posted.

Cons

Transaction fees are a little high compared to other similar software

Lacy M.
Industry: Consumer Services

Easy payments

Reviewed on 2020-12-15

Overall, stripe has been an asset to my business and makes our payment process run smoothly. Clients like the options and I like being paid.

Pros

I use stripe with my pet sitting app and so far it’s been easy and straightforward. I like that you can process refunds and see gross income.

Cons

Like every small business, it would be great to have a option for less percentage taking out for longer hold times but that’s just wishful thinking.

Timothy T.
Industry: Internet

Everyone loves Stripe, but I think there is much to improve

Reviewed on 2020-02-26

Overall it's been fine, but if there were a better option I'd gladly switch.

Pros

Fairly easy to set up, and provides a quick way to launch and manage payment systems for software-as-a-service products. The UI is simple enough to use and they do provide some templates for UI components.

Cons

Stripe offers too many different programs and seems to be constantly switching into new option models. Things are constantly deprecated, or the docs are out to date due to government regulations that they are in the process of updating. This isn't Stripe's fault, but they need a clean overhaul of their products to make things clean and easy to use. They also need more frontend, plug-n-play interfaces for every situation. This is where I feel Stripe is lagging the most. Everyone needs these UI components, and the ones they provide are fairly weak or limited. I've also had issues connecting bank accounts, and in confirming physical addresses which are absolutely correct, but their system says are wrong and which I spent multiple days with multiple support people just to get confirmed. Huge pain that happened multiple times.

Stephen G.
Company size: 501-1,000 Employees

Payments Made Easy

Reviewed on 2020-09-27

Stripe is a developer-focused payment application with a strong feature set. Its shortcomings, especially around forcing small extra charges for features that require few resources, are easily overcome by the excellent documentation.

Pros

Stripe is a developer-focused payment application that's easy to integrate with custom applications and sites. The admin panel is well built and super informative (especially for fraud insight).

Cons

The reporting insight SQL interface requires additional fees/payments, which seems crazy (especially for smaller accounts). The obligations around tax rates, especially in the ever-evolving regulatory US state tax environments, are opaque.

A super strong online payment software that will suit all your business needs

Reviewed on 2018-06-14

Pros

I really like the dashboard and the user experience, very smooth. First, you can have a look at all the recent transactions and check immediately their details and status (approved, rejected, the reason...). Then, you can have a look at all the disputes, and submit evidence if need in a very clear interface. Also, the features of payment are really strong : you can refund partial/total amounts very easily, you can check all the transaction details thanks to the Dashboard page of the transaction.

Cons

It has some drawbacks. It can be considered as a bit pricey: my business is charged 3% of each transaction on average. That's okay as it's a good online payment system but it's an amount of money and sometimes PayPal can seem more interesting. Besides, when you refund a customer, it usually takes 5-10 days to hit the bank account, which is so long! I wish it could be improved...

Industry: Design

Stripe a simple yet powerful payment processor

Reviewed on 2020-02-21

We were first introduced to Stripe a few years ago. We actually started with the beta because it was not available in our country at that moment. So, we got an invite and it was the beggining of a fruitful partnership. Yes, we too made the transition from Paypal.

Pros

The simple yet powerful user interface, the easy hassle free invoices and the customer support is top notch. We made the switch from other provider and we are not looking back. And not to mention the fees are very competitive.

Cons

Nothing to dislike about Stripe. So far so good. Well, if we had to dislike something that most be the overall country support. That´s it!

Industry: Financial Services

LOVE STRIPE!

Reviewed on 2020-05-18

Fantastic experience. Easy to use. Intuitive even for a non-techy person such as myself. Customer service has ALWAYS helped us find answers. I also appreciate their thorough research into chargebacks from angry customers who were in the wrong.

Pros

What's not to like? Customer service is fantastic, it's SO intuitive, checkout is a breeze for our customers, they have the ability to make subscriptions simple...oh and they pay me daily!

Cons

There really isn't a con with their software but the one thing that stinks is paying fees on both a sale AND a refund, even when it was accidental. I get it, they incur charges when it happens...but then we either have to eat this cost or pass it to the customer. I guess someone has to in the end.