Deputy

Staff Scheduling, Time & Attendance (Time Clock) and more

4.7 /5 (561 reviews) Write a Review!
4.7
4.4
John P.
  • Industry: Food & Beverages

A+ Scheduling Software

Reviewed on 2018-04-23

Saves me time and hassle. Employees know how to use it quickly with little/no training.

Pros

Inexpensive, feature rich, and easy for me to export timesheets to our payroll provider, Gusto. It was easy to add our existing employees when we made the switch. Employees have no complaints using it for time off requests, unavailability or integrating with their calendar so they know when they're scheduled.

Cons

The manager side of the mobile app is lacking full access to make it easy to approve time off requests. Depending how I pull up the request from my phone sometimes it also shows the date as Christmas Eve from years in the past (like 2015). Hasn't been a big enough pain for me personally to be mad enough to contact them, though I should so they can tell me I'm dumb and using it wrong or fix it.

Natalie H.
  • Industry: Professional Training & Coaching

Accessible and Easy Use

Reviewed on 2019-03-28

I can be on the go and document what I am doing and show that I am on location if needed. It helps me keep track of what clients I met when, and is especially helpful when writing reports and dates are needed.

Pros

I liked that my coworker who was blind could easily navigate the app using her iphone and text-to-speech. I also like that I can look back at dates and see I did that day, as well as my hours total count for the week. The hours total count is a change that I requested to the app and the updated showed in a reasonable amount of time. The design is easy to use with the iphone app, and I like that the categories can be designed to fit your business tasks for streamlined documentation of how much time is spent doing a certain task. Also, you can put notes to detail what you were doing during that time period which is crucial for staff that are changing tasks all day.

Cons

Sometimes the app will glitch when putting in an end time and after changing the end time from the current time it will default several times back to the current time instead of the end time you want.

Joy L.

Seamless and cloud based, versatile. App driven for employees mobile devices, schedule at hand.

Reviewed on 2018-04-17

Pros

Scheduling is complicated and the data entry process can be tedious, but with the "Copy Shifts" function, entry is made easy and editing is simple. A great tool for time management.
App driven for seamless integration with employee mobile devices, schedule at the ready and employees can set alerts, push to calendar, notifications, etc. to their liking. The dashboard is pretty snazzy and clear. Export timesheet function makes payroll a breeze.

Cons

At present, I have not come across much I did not like, how ever, when exporting timesheet the calendar function does not always default to the current pay period. It seems to default to some odd dates. I am not sure what is causing that as we had set our parameters. Support Chat is good, but sometimes a phone call is necessary.

Helen T.

CountryOptusStore

Reviewed on 2017-04-07

We were using excel spread sheet, manually calculating hours and trying to juggle shift changes. Deputy has changed everything. Copy / paste roster templates, Swap shifts, Auto-calculation of hours, notifications when team members are unavailable - the list goes on.
I recommend this product to anyone I know that runs a business with multiple staff members.

Pros

Ease of copying roster into the timeframe and allocating appropriate team members

Cons

Export to Xero timesheets has to be altered manually in Xero for each line as details of type of hours worked does not match Xero.
Annual / leave days taken and processed through Deputy transfer onto Xero payslips as individual days. So if a team member takes a week off, instead of it being 1 line of annual leave @ 38hours - it comes up as individual lines at whichever shift hour allocations it was originally for. Makes for an overly long payslip!!!

Amanda josalene W.

Excellent value for the money; works great with my business.

Reviewed on 2019-03-11

Overall, Deputy helped me to relieve stress that comes along with managing payrolls and attendance among a team of employees. I have been able to effectively organize all of my time-sheets without issue, and will continue to use Deputy for my business.

Pros

The price is excellent and you receive a quality, well-rounded software that allows you to effectively manage payroll and attendance sheets among employees. This took a lot of stress off my back as for a while I was doing everything manually, by hand, and then having to input all of this into a spreadsheet on my computer. Deputy helped make this process 1000x easier, and the price point didn't put even the slightest dent into our business's budget. Within Deputy, you can also use it as a platform to communicate with your employees as well, which is a perk if you need a software that allows you to do such as well.

Cons

I don't have any cons. Everything runs as it should!

Laura D.
  • Industry: Veterinary

Deputy Staff Schedule Module

Reviewed on 2018-12-05

Pros

Deputy provides a fully functional scheduling module we use for our Veterinary practice. Our current software did not include time clock/ scheduling features. Deputy is a user friendly program that handles our paid time off requests, time clock functions, and work area assignments. Deputy has advanced security features such as photo capture at clock in, location of clock in, and password protected access. While providing these features, it also is user friendly.

Cons

Customer support is typically via chat, and their hours of operation do not always reflect US time zones.

• Industry: Restaurants

Deputy Is Perfect for Our Small Business

Reviewed on 2018-12-04

Pros

I like that the Deputy UI is really easy to navigate. There is a lot of information held in Deputy and it could easily be set up non-user friendly, but I find that I have no trouble navigating all of the different hierarchies of information to get to where I need to go. Our staff hasn't had any trouble signing up or jumping in with their schedules. I also really enjoy that it reminds people (and me) when they forget to clock in!

Cons

While I like that I get reminders that people forget to clock in, I often receive them after they've already clocked in, I wish I got a second notice that they in fact did clock in after receiving their notification. This may seem petty, but it can save some leg work (literally).

Jeremy R.

Everything you could ask for in a scheduling app

Reviewed on 2017-04-18

Our company tried a few and Deputy ended up being our pick. It does everything you could ever want it to do and then some. Gave 4/5 stars in features and functionality simply because the messaging feature is too limited. However, they could delete this feature altogether and it would still be a 5-star application. Overall, Deputy is a sleek, bug-free system that will make the person in charge of scheduling a happy camper. And the price is right too.

Pros

Ease of use.
Dependability.
Beautiful Interface

Cons

Messaging System

Response from Deputy

Thanks for your awesome feedback Jeremy! We love hearing success stories like yours! Never hesitate to reach out to our team for help in the future and happy scheduling.

- Team Deputy

Drew S.

Interchange Shoalhaven - Deputy

Reviewed on 2016-10-28

I have been working on taking our organisation from a paper based time sheet system to an electronic based system and needed something that would tie in with the development of our CRM & Payroll.
We came across Deputy and began our trial with the premium version. After spending some time working with the premium version we chose to engage Deputy for the Enterprise version.
After a bit of time developing the personalized script for our organisations needs we are ready to go live.
The team has been extremely patience with me and very understanding with my many requests.

Pros

Not only is it a great program to work on, its really easy for anyone to use.
I have a number of staff who have very limited I.T skills that have been able to uses the program (both App & Web based) with ease.

Cons

The only down side to Deputy is that it currently does not capture travel or meal allowances for pay processing (still manually entering into Xero after export).

Bree H.
  • Industry: Hospitality

Great way to communicate with your team!

Reviewed on 2017-04-18

We have been using Deputy for over 2 years and find the software to be reliable, user friendly and a great way to schedule and communicate with our team.

The customer service is great with a very quick response time and they are always eager to answer any questions and take on board any feedback you may have.

I would highly recommend Deputy for anyone looking into scheduling software.

Pros

User Friendly / Efficient / Flexible / Great tool for communicating with your team

Response from Deputy

Thanks for your awesome feedback Bree! We love hearing success stories like yours! Never hesitate to reach out to our team for help in the future and happy scheduling.

- Team Deputy

Matthew C.
  • Industry: Computer Games

Easy to use and customer support are quick and helpful

Reviewed on 2017-05-18

Easy to organise my team. They also got a push notification to their phone regarding the start time of their shift. Very useful for managing remote workers.

Pros

Easy to have a high level view of what is going on with my team. I can quickly and easily see how many hours each employee has done and compare it to the hours I shifted them.
I can also categorise the work so I know what time is spent doing what activity. This for me is very helpful.

Cons

Filling out the schedule can be time consuming. As with my business only 1 person is shifted at a time so it is tiresome to keep setting the start time of the next employee as the end time of the previous.
In addition I would like to be able to edit the view more, for example colour code each employee so when looking at the schedule it is easier to see who is on and when.
As our business is not sales related the reports which rostered hours against sales is not really useful. I wish I could change the metrics or KPI's so that they are now inline with what my business needs.

Michael G.
  • Industry: Security & Investigations
  • Company size: 1,001-5,000 Employees

very easy to use. Scheduling is easier then ever before.

Reviewed on 2018-04-21

save me a lot of time and money

Pros

it show a running tallies of my payroll . its very organized and helpful, easy to change workers schedules. Viewing the profiles of my guards is helpfl.

Cons

sometimes it makes the computer run slow.besides that we as a company love this program .posting message can be a little crazy.

Holly A.

Deputy is an easy to use, functional, clean roster display program

Reviewed on 2018-07-02

Pros

Its easy drag and drop, copy and paste and repeating of shifts features make it quick and light work pushing out months worth of rosters in advance

Cons

I would like to see more reports being able to be run so that I can grab information like who is the most frequently late, who does regular over time, etc

Megan A.

A Great System

Reviewed on 2017-04-18

We have been using Deputy for a few years now and have never had any issues. The system is very easy to use for both the rostering manager and staff who use it.

Pros

Response from Deputy

Thanks for your awesome feedback Megan! We love hearing success stories like yours! Never hesitate to reach out to our team for help in the future and happy scheduling.

- Team Deputy

Julie T.

We use Deputy as a timecard system and don't really use any other features.

Reviewed on 2018-04-19

Makes it easy to keep track of time for hourly employees. Especially since we are in a couple different locations and I work mostly from home.

Pros

It loads directly into Gusto and makes it easy for me to do payroll. It's easy to train my employees on.

Cons

There are many areas we don't use, but we are paying for. It would be nice to be able to pay according to how much we use. Also, I probably should look and see the new options and maybe we would use them.

Aj K.

Outstanding staff scheduling software

Reviewed on 2017-04-23

I looked at over half a dozen options in depth, entering schedules and staff and doing trials. I ended up deciding upon Deputy software and couldn't be happier. It's smooth and intuitive to use for both the staff and management alike and integrates with Xero smoothly saving me time and money. The staff love the ease of the app and it allows them to fill shifts they can't do making like easier for me. I can choose to approve the changes or not. It has improved communication with the staff as well, do to the nature of our work, we are all on shift on different days and times. This helps us communicate.
All the components of this well thought out software work and the customer service has been great. I really can't recommend it highly enough.

Pros

Easy to use. Integrates with Xero and other software. Helps communication with staff. Allows for SMS, email, and push notifications.

Cons

Haven't found any.

Response from Deputy

Thanks for your awesome feedback AJ! We love hearing success stories like yours! Never hesitate to reach out to our team for help in the future and happy scheduling.

- Team Deputy

• Industry: Apparel & Fashion

Deputy is the best human capital administrator I have used

Reviewed on 2018-10-04

It is a great tool that all of our staff use. It is a great tool to manage the casual staff as well. I really recommend it. It is easy to manage the hours as well and make quick changes. It is easy to manage all the staff in different parts of the business.

Pros

It is so easy to use and you can download the app, so you can check the rosters of the staff from any location, you can update with ease and it has never crashed. It is reliable and has no mistakes.

Cons

Sometimes it is difficult to find your shift to login, but once you use it on a daily basis, it is so easy and effective for our business.

Louise B.
  • Industry: Telecommunications

Simply better

Reviewed on 2017-04-22

Using deputy to keep up to date with work scheduling, rostering, pays and pretty much all of my day to day employee communications has been made easy and extremely efficient since using this software. Simply easy and so much better then my past experiences with other softwares

Pros

Simple and quick to use

Cons

Umm its name

Response from Deputy

Thanks for your awesome feedback Louise! We love hearing success stories like yours! Never hesitate to reach out to our team for help in the future and happy scheduling.

- Team Deputy

Deputy has been a great solution for our staffing needs.

Reviewed on 2018-04-23

Pros

Ease of use, convenient application for employees. Geolocation is great for employee clock in and out transparency.

Cons

Approving time sheets view that displays by time, not by worker. Ie being able to see the time at which employees are leaving.
Be able to set unavailability for several days in a row.
Unavailability repeat for every other week and "ever second Tuesday of the month."

Matt T.
  • Industry: Airlines/Aviation

Excellent teamworking software that's at a reasonable price

Reviewed on 2017-12-21

Cleaner and more productive interaction between our staff team

Pros

We moved from revel to deputy and found it far more advanced that revel. Interaction between users is easy and the interface is awesome.

Cons

For us it crashed a couple of times but that might just have been our connection as it could be sporadic. Some of the functionality also caused some of our staff some issues when using.

Jennifer S.

I wish we would have used them years ago.

Reviewed on 2018-04-23

Pros

Employees can manage their own schedules, and they get text messages with schedule updates. It is easy to create different departments. We also like how it exports to our accounting software.

Cons

No cons. There is really nothing I'd change. We've been very pleased with the app. It is much better than trying to do everything on google calender like before.

Michael B.
  • Industry: Hospitality

Recommend for all businesses big or small!

Reviewed on 2017-04-18

I have found navigating the roster very easy as well as communicating with my staff. It has saved me time with using different calendars and spreadsheets to coordinate the staff.

Pros

Easy to use.

Cons

Slows down on Safari, much better on Chrome!

Response from Deputy

Thanks for your awesome feedback Michael! We love hearing our customers share success stories like yours! Never hesitate to reach out to our team for help in the future and happy scheduling.

- Team Deputy

Cam B.

Awesome for multiple locations and really easy to use .

Reviewed on 2018-04-20

Pros

Really easy to get shifts covered and repacled
Simple to use
Quick
Time saver
Love how I can do most of the tasks from mobile .

Cons

Does not have approve swap on mobile need that really bad
Also I don't think you can approve a leave on mobile as well need that
Really hard to swap shifts using the app while creating a schedule.

Ty G.
  • Industry: Transportation/Trucking/Railroad

Great time tracking software

Reviewed on 2018-09-25

Has so far been a great experience with excellent customer support and very easy to use interface for all our users(of all ages).

Pros

Easy to use for everyone. Both on the mobile app and on the computer. No experience with the kiosk version. Very user friendly and 24/7 chat help is great.

Cons

Would like the ability to make it so some users can only login with a computer and some can use the app. Right now its only a global setting and allows everyone to use both. Would be nice if it could be a user by user setting.

Azita M.

Deputy was a true solution for our staffing scheduling and payroll.

Reviewed on 2018-04-20

Pros

True value for the money. We saved time, money and hassle. We saved money by avoiding overtime and placing the workers in the right departments. We were able to tract PTO and respond to employees requests in a timely manner. Employee and employer satisfaction is excellent.

Cons

Initial setup took time. It took sometime to train And the staff had low buy-in at the beginning. It would have been good to have tutorials for staff how to sign into deputy from their phones.