Toggl Track

4.7 (2,134)
Cloud-based time tracking software for productive teams

(2,134)
4.6/5
4.5/5
4.7/5
Customer Support Software
4.5/5

Abby

Couldn't survive in business without Toggl

Reviewed on 1/18/2021

I've been using the free version for about 3 years I think. It's critical to my business. It doesn't have so many features that it's frustrating - it's just nice and simple. The paid version has WAY more features and tools that would be useful for a business of more than 1 person, or for someone who's a better business person than I am.

Pros

It's very easy to use, and the FREE version is all I need. I have a little app that runs on my computer that even reminds me to track my time if I'm not timing. I get really wrapped up in what I do, so it's easy for me to spend way longer than I anticipated on things. Being a solo entrepreneur, it was critical early on when I was trying to figure out how long things actually took me to do. I don't think I'd have been able to develop a clear enough pricing strategy for projects because I literally had no idea how long it took me.

Cons

The Windows app does undergo changes every now and then, so it gets a little glitchy. Right now, I can't hide the timer away like I used to be able to. I'm sure that'll be fixed by next updated but in the meantime it's only a minor annoyance for the benefit of the program. Which again, is FREE.

monday.com

Reasons for Switching to Toggl Track

Monday was way too complicated and I don't think it had a free version.
Catherine
  • Industry: Publishing

Great product and great value!

Reviewed on 12/22/2022

It's invaluable to me as a self-employed freelancer to be able to track my hours so that I know what I'm spending time on and how efficient I'm being (or not being!). It also gives clients the confidence that my time on their project is tracked and that I'm being honest about billable hours. The reports it provides are also useful for me on a long-term basis to plan my work across the bigger picture.

Pros

I love the ease of time tracking and the fact that you can track in real time or enter blocks manually. I also like the reporting system and the fact that you can use it on mobile.

Cons

I'd love a facility to customise the 'did you leave the timer on by accident?' function to make it more useful to me as an individual. For example, it would be great if you could set it to message you at midnight or any selected time if you typically tend to work certain hours, or after it's been running for X length of time.

Shameel
  • Industry: Accounting Software

Toggl review

Not applicable

Pros

Able to track hours worked, billable and non-billable

Cons

Sometimes do not save information and have to redo, time consuming

Andrea
  • Industry: Accounting Software

Love it

Reviewed on 10/27/2022

Using Toggle helped me a lot to see where my time was going, not just with my work but also with other personal projects and helped me to make informed decisions on tasks I needed to delegate.

Pros

The mobile app was most important to me. I like the ease of use. I also appreciate the reminders to stop the clock or to turn on the clock when I'm working on my desktop. Oh, and it's free :) unless you want to upgrade.

Cons

There's not much I don't like. I do feel like the mobile app time entry could maybe be streamlined a little more.

Clockify

Reasons for Choosing Toggl Track

Because I needed something that would also track projects outside of regular work.

QuickBooks Time

Amazing Tool & Easy To Use

Reviewed on 12/22/2022

It’s a great tool for being able to track my time on client reports & send them time sheets with their invoices.

Pros

I love everything about Toggl. I’ve tried a number of time trackers and it is far and away my favorite. I’ve been using it daily for 6+ years.

Cons

There’s nothing I don’t like about Toggl - it’s a wonderful tool!

TrackingTime, Timely and Clockify

Reasons for Switching to Toggl Track

Ease of use, simple layout.
Kaye Anne

Track your hard work!

Reviewed on 12/7/2022

All great! The convenience of using, the files or records of time. And also the support are very easy to reach! In just a minute they can have your concern resolved!

Pros

I really love about this application is, it's very user friendly. Also has the option to track your hours if you have multiple clients to work with. The reports can be also converted into PDF file, which in that way we can easily send an invoice to our clients with the total hours we worked on each tasks. I also love that there is an option to choose 'billable' which is convenient because you don't have to compute bill manually. Good job Toggle Track!

Cons

I just don't like about this was it's not free to use. However even though, it is much more cheaper than the other time tracker.

Martin

Probably the best application for time tracking

Reviewed on 12/20/2022

I love this product for its simplicity and easy-to-use tracking/reporting system.

Pros

This app is super-easy to use. Tracking the time is possible with just one button click! I use this app for years to bill my working hours. Generating output reports for my customer is totally awesome.

Cons

The UI/UX should be better. Sometime the app has trouble with connection problems. Toggl should enhance generated logs with better visualization and more customizations.

Easy and it just works

Reviewed on 1/26/2023

Overall very satisfied.

Pros

Great way to track your time. The software is available on multiple platforms, there's always a way to make sure the time is tracked properly. The REST API allows to integrate it into your own apps.

Cons

The last update removed a shortcut that I used often (<Cmd>+"E"). I hope they'll reintroduce that one. Also it shows "Pomodoro" by default with no way to disable it (make invisible).

Useful tool for employee time tracking

Reviewed on 12/1/2022

Pros

I like the programs simplicity and that you are able to select certain projects and see how much time you have spent on them.

Cons

I feel like there needs to be an option for creating multiple time entries at once, so if you are working so many hours on a project but split it up throughout a week there should be an option to create multiples of that project or time entry.

Evgeny

• Customer Support Software

I need an application for Ubuntu

Reviewed on 12/25/2022

In our team, we use Toggl Track for tracking work time and invoicing, which it is pretty good for.

Pros

I use the desktop application on Ubuntu and the shortcuts for convenience. Also, I can use the application on my phone, which I don't use now, but used to track time on a phone several months ago.

Cons

The desktop application on Ubuntu could have better shortcuts. When I need to edit the description of the task, I use my mouse. I would like the ability to warn me if I miss a project, a task, or a description when tracking time or after it, sending notification once a day, for example.

Yvette

Awesome for solopreneurs

Reviewed on 1/8/2021

I have used it on and off for years (I'm not all that good at tracking time consistently), and now that I have figured out the integration with Asana, I am smitten.

Pros

what I most love about the software is how it integreates with Asana. You link the two in Chrome and then you will only need to click a link icon next to a task to start timing. That way, all your work on one task will be tracked together.

I have all that I need in the free account, and would certainly keep using it if I need to upgrade when, down the road, my team would grow.

Cons

Nothing that I can think of. I am really happy.

Harvest

Reasons for Choosing Toggl Track

the Paymo free option had become too limited and the tracking tool in my bookkeeping software was clunky

Paymo

Reasons for Switching to Toggl Track

Harvest did not have a free trial and the tracking option in my bookkeeping software was cluncky
Bigue

Simply the best time tracking solution freely available for self-employed and freelance

Reviewed on 11/3/2020

Toggl is simply wonderful, very close to perfect to me.

Pros

I was tired of wasting a fortune with paid services just to track the time spent on an handful of tasks when working for my clients. I tried a few solutions out there, but all were paid, loaded with features that I didn't even need, and were a bit of a mess to navigate through just to manage my hours of issue a simple time report.

I'm so glad I found Toggl : the basic free tier offers everything I need, has a sleek interface and is a bliss to use on a daily basis. Just select the project, type what you're doing and hit the "start" button to start tracking. Every previous task has a "start" button, it's as easy as one click to resume work on an existing task ! Editing time entries is as intuitive as editing text, and generating full-fledge, good looking detailed reports by client/project/task type for any time period is as easy as checking a few boxes and selecting the dates.

The free version has everything you need for perfect time tracking for a single person. Simply perfect.

Cons

None, really, apart from a few very minor annoyances I found with the browser UI :
- Some quirks when editing time entries, but you get used to the way the time editing UI works with experience.
- In some specific states, clicking the "start" button has no effect, so you end up not having tracked your time after doing a task. It still happens to me from time to time. This can be annoying, so I have to keep a vigilent eye the status icon (browser tab icon) when I'm working on something.

Jakub
  • Industry: Design

Time tracking, time sheets and time billing

Reviewed on 3/16/2022

Being a small company we needed something we could track easily without any complicated setup. And Toggl provided. We have used it for 7+ years and it is still going very well. The best things are time is displayed in decimals so it can be easily multiplied with rates. Clients love the summaries, colleagues love the simplicity.

Pros

The ease of use of Toggl is unprecedented. After setting up projects and clients we are able to track very precisly tasks and projects for everyone. Switching form one task to another is dead simple and everyone who complains that his workflow is "not trackable" just should try this since changing projects even between calls takes only a click.

Cons

Pricing gets a bit steep after a larger team is on board + the timesheet vs. billable hours are not accessible in the free tier. Setting up new users and adding them into a team is somewhat complicated - but that is an UI/UX problem.

Basecamp

Reasons for Choosing Toggl Track

Basecamp did not offer Timetracking in their free option where we downgraded to after paying for years for their basic plan which we used mostly for timetracking. Toggle seemed like the better option at that time. And that is still true.

Basecamp

Reasons for Switching to Toggl Track

Historically we used it. But it became bulky and expensive.

A solid offering in the time-tracking space.

Reviewed on 12/4/2019

Overall, it does what I need to. I have tried many MANY time tracking softwares over the years, including the time tracker included with FreshBooks - which you would think I'd use as it integrates directly with my billing - but I kept coming back to and using Toggl, despite the few hiccups I encounter.

Pros

The key for me here is its ability to integrate with my project management software: Asana. Beyond that, I think they have a good cross-platform presence with their easy-to-use mobile app and, desktop (Windows) app and web app; I use all 3 regularly but the desktop client the most. Oh yeah, and the Chrome extension.

Cons

Its cross-platform nature also proves to be a challenge (at lest for me). There are 4 places I set it up (see Pros) and sometimes they conflict / send duplicate messages / aren't in sync or don't sync very quickly. If you're on one computer, this isn't an issue but when moving between devices this isn't as seamless as I'd like. Part of this might be attributed to my own connectivity challenges at times and the configuration of each client on every system. The thing is, I don't need notifications from the web app and desktop client and the desktop client on my laptop next to me. But the Chrome extension is required to sync with Asana and I prefer to use the desktop client when, well, I'm at my desktop. So... short of going in and honing which notifications show where, it remains an issue. I have done this, yet I tend to format my system a few times a year and having no way to "remember" these settings becomes a pain.

I also spend more time than I'd like correcting tags, and making sure tasks are categorized properly. There's an odd bug in the Asana integration that forces me to use a mouse to add tags rather than keeping my hands on my keyboard. A small nitpick but it does mess with my flow.

Everhour, Timely and Harvest

Reasons for Choosing Toggl Track

I can't recall the name of the software but they had a server issue which had it down for some time. This outage prompted me to look for an alternative.

Reasons for Switching to Toggl Track

I was primarily comparing what integrations mattered to me most as well as if there was / what was accessible with the free plan should I decide not to pay.
  • Industry: Graphic Design Software

We have been tracking our time for many years

Reviewed on 9/9/2020

We started using toggl more than five years ago as task tracking, timesheet generation and reporting. The data has provided insight into how much time is spent on random things and how productive one's team actually is. And helps project managers to plan and achieve realistic timeframes. I haven't made use of the premium features. However the features available include multiple workspace (I have one for my personal projects), manual & live time tracking, calender view, a game-like achievements , coloured clients, projects, tags and export & reporting tools. I have and will recommend Toggl

Pros

The app and most functions are free for teams less than 5 members. This is great as we are a minute company. The desktop app is great to use to track your time, task switching and can setup hour intervals with a notice popping up to remind you to track your time..

Cons

The recent colour change to pink/purple is a bit weird on the user interface. But that's just my subjective opinion

Mariana

Best time tracker so far

Reviewed on 2/5/2021

In general, my experiences has been very positive. I can easily keep track of my employees, the time their spending in different projects and the billing hours on particular tasks.

Pros

This is a very useful tool for our organization as it allows us to keep a detailed record of the time invested by each of our collaborators in the different activities proposed by the group directors. We work with several contractors and this application allows us to control their working time and therefore the total value to pay for their services. Likewise, we love that we can know how much time has been allocated to a specific project in order to measure efficiencies and delays.

Cons

I love the simplicity of the tool, but sometimes a find it Too simple. Specially the phone application. I feel like the phone app could be a bit more robust as it is online.

Trello and Google Sheets

Reasons for Switching to Toggl Track

Easy to use Friendly application Free version to start with. Easy to download reports.
Rafal

Great tracking tool

Reviewed on 5/5/2022

Great tool, has a free tier (great for solopreneurs). Currently I use different app, but I liked a PDF reports that I could send directly to customer (very clean and informative). If Ive forgot to stop some task, system send me an email with notification (miss that in my current app). Great software.

Pros

+ clean interface
+ quick start (my current app is a little bit lazy)
+ great mobile app and Chrome extension that keeps me signed in (not obvious comparing to other tools for time trackin)
+ clear and informative reports (with PDF export)
+ email message if I will forget to stop time tracker

Cons

- customers are listed as "tags" - in my opinion conventional table would be better
- billing options for project should be more intuitive especially if in the same project I use many different billing types (per hour, fixed/flat/onetime etc)

Easy to use and does what I need

Reviewed on 11/24/2020

When I was a contractor I had to use Toggl for tracking and it was so easy that I continued when I went back to being a full-time employee. It has saved me a few times when one of my time sheets did not go in correctly or days off were not booked, as I was able to easily go back in time and look at the exact hours worked.

Pros

It is very easy to use. Just click the start button and start recording. Assign my time to various timecard categories as I go.

Cons

I wish I could book my time also by the project I'm working on. I work on several different projects in a typical week, so this does not seem to be possible or at least practical. It's also just a nice-to-have because my employer doesn't want it, only I do.

Anna

Simple, Easy, and Free

Reviewed on 5/18/2021

easy and quick to set-up. easy for for me to add and remove others so I can track their time on my projects as well as assign tasks. Has a lot included for a free tool, and that is something very rare nowadays!

Pros

This is a great if you have never used a time tracking tool before. You can even include a small team on the free plan!

Cons

I find the direct integrations limiting, but toggl can be integrated with Zapier. Which is probably why it's direct integration listing is so small.

Harvest

Reasons for Switching to Toggl Track

I chose toggl over Harvest because the free offering was better. If at all possible I would rather start with a free offering so I can see what features I will truly use. Then, if I need to upgrade to a paid tool to gain additional features I know the purchase is justified.
Giacomo

It does it, right!

Reviewed on 11/3/2020

Pros

I subscribed to Toggl specifically and only for the time tracking feature since I was looking for a tool allowing me to keep track of the time I spend on single projects while my day is often fragmented in several activities for different customers and projects we need to track on hourly base. For this reason, I was looking for a tool allowing me to do just that: I didn't want to spend more time creating milestones and tasks and planning work ahead of time, I just needed to start a timer, track the time, stick it to a project and, at the end of the month, get a report of it. Well, Toggl does just that and it does beautifully.
And Toggl says it took me 10 minutes to do this review. Done.

Cons

I'm pretty sure that Toggls isn't perfect, I wouldn't be objective otherwise but up to now, I didn't find something I find missing or could be improved. I didn't feel any lack of features since I was basically running away from overly featured tools and found one that has just what you need.

Harvest and ClickUp

Reasons for Switching to Toggl Track

I was looking for a tool with just a time tracking feature, not a project management tool and TogglTrack allows you to do just that without distraction or hours of milestone and tasks setup when you don't need them.
Michelle
  • Industry: Arts & Crafts

Time management has never been so easy!

Reviewed on 3/22/2021

It is great!

After our first week with Toggl, my son was able to decrease the amount of time he spent getting distracted by a full hour each day. When I showed him just how much time he was spending on each class, and how much quicker he finished his assignments when he just focused he was able to see the positives.

Pros

I use Toggl to track both mine and my child's schoolwork on a daily basis. While he is simply navigating third grade compared to my taking classes to receive my bachelor's degree, Toggl helps us both immensely. The ability to track how much time you spend on each class is very helpful and let's you see just how productive you are. You can see how much time you have spent on a specific task/class or during a specific time period. This allows you to see which areas you might be spending too much time on.

Toggl has shown me that I was spending roughly the same amount of time working on each classes' assignments, apart from one class. I further noted that I spent an additional 30 minutes a day finishing my work for Accounting and planned my future days accordingly.

What I really love about it is how it allows me to track how much time my son is spending on each of his classes, especially since he is in virtual online school this year. There have been times where instead of learning his multiplication problems in Math, I have found him watching videos on Youtube and with Toggl tracking how much time he spends on each class I can easily see when and where he is getting distracted or may need help.

Cons

It is much better to use Toggl on a desktop VS your phone, in my opinion. The text is very small and hard to read on the phone.

Nathan
  • Industry: Civil Engineering

• Customer Support Software

Super simple clean time tracking software, though recent changes make it less useful

Reviewed on 4/4/2018

It's the best cloud based time tracking option out there, period.

Pros

I love that Toggl is quick to set up new projects and get to work. It shouldn't be a big deal to start tracking your time, because it's such a minimalistic task, but a lot of time trackers make it a big thing to start a project. I also like that it's cloud based, so no matter which office I'm working from, it's not a big deal. I like that it takes time entries in various formats (like I can type in 1h, or 60:00, or 1:00 and it understands them all), and I like that it's painless to switch projects (which I do every time a co-worker comes to ask me a question).

Cons

I don't like the recent changes that don't let you see your history without generating a report. I also wish it integrated with Google Calendar/Outlook and would automatically import meetings/scheduled events and tag them with the correct project (or ask me if they ought to be tagged). I also don't like that it runs until you turn it off, without reminders or updates - like it'll run 8 hours and send me a reminder, but if I ignore that single note, it stops. I would like it to send multiple updates, or have the ability to cut off, and to send me a notification/alert to start it again the next morning, because sometimes I'll forget and come back two days later to find 48 hours tracked to a single project.

Brandon

• Customer Support Software

Full featured and easy to use.

Reviewed on 10/13/2017

Toggl makes it extremely easy for me to track time spent on various tasks/projects/clients. After trying Toggl for myself, I finally understand why they're so popular.

Pros

In comparing several time-tracking tools, Toggl ended up being the clear winner.

Toggl has an interface that looks nice and is user friendly.

When trying to track the time I spend working on a project, it is imperative that the process of the logging the time is as frictionless as possible. Toggl did a great job.

Hours was a close tie in terms of the web app experience. Hours looked a little nicer, but was a little too minimalistic. Toggl provided the tools I actually needed. But the Mac app is what really sealed the deal for Toggl. There are times when I forget to stop the timer, and the Mac app allows Toggl to detect idle time and ask me if I want to keep it or discard it. This is absolutely a must-have feature.

I should also mention: The chronological view of when and for how long I've worked on projects/clients in a given day: This was also a feature I wanted to have, and luckily Toggle includes in the "Timeline" view.

Cons

There's an awesome feature called Timeline which shows you a graph of what programs your using as you work on different projects... at least I think that's what it does. So far it hasn't populated with any data. It's supposed to pull data from the Mac app if you have "Record Timeline" checked, but it's not.

Toggl sent out a nice "Need any help" type email and I took advantage of this to ask about the Timeline issue. However, I haven't received any reply. Hopefully they'll reply eventually...

One minor con: In the chronological view (Timeline) you can't click on the timeline to manually input some time. This is nice and easy in Hours.

Hours also makes it so easy to know when "now" is. In toggl, the current time isn't indicated. Unfortunate, but not a deal breaker.

Perfect Timekeeping for COnsultants

Reviewed on 8/22/2019

As an independent management consultant, I need to keep track of the hours I spend working on various projects with multiple clients. Not only does this help me bill appropriately, it also helps the client know exactly where their money is going when they work with me. This is the first program I tried for timekeeping and over two years, I have never felt the need to switch to try or switch to any other program.

Pros

I have used Toggl from the moment I started my consulting business. I love that it has both the "timer" feature as well as the "manual" feature, which is what I use the most. I appreciate how I can have unlimited clients and projects for those clients. The reports I can run from Toggl are perfect: I can run by week, month, or custom time period and by client + all projects, or just by project. I run & download the colorful monthly reports and provide this information to my clients, and they really appreciate the detail.

Toggl is easy to use, has great features even in the free version, and does everything I need for it to do.

Cons

I have yet to find anything about Toggle that I don't like. I recommend it to every consultant that I meet who asks "What do you use to keep track of your time?"

Sebastian

• Customer Support Software

Overall an amazing app you must have to TRACK Your Time & also for your people !

Reviewed on 2/17/2016

I really love this app and I think more people need to have this time tracking application in their toolkit for 2016.

I tested a lot of apps like this but Toggl really impressed me not only by the features, performance, design and cost effective but also by the fast responses I got from Toggl Team. They sent to me also some interesting gifts in february 2016 and I really think I will recommend to all of my clients (I already shared it on my twitter and other online social networks as well)

I depend on it so much. I can't imagine another week without toggl reports that shows me where my time was spent, if I was effective or not and so much more.

It's so important to know your cashflow and there are a lot of tools out there for tracking that, but what are you using for your "timeflow" ??? Toggl cames with a lot of amazing features here like, clean design, amazing suport, performance in place, available for android, windows, in browser, applications and so on...

Toggl has been also my #1 go to for recording my time to bill clients. I couldn't even imagine manually writing time down :))

I think that Toggl is indeed extremely helpful in making sure that everyone knows how they are spending at least their work life so they can identify the trends, patterns and repetitive things that consume this precious resource called "time" ! I'm so grateful to have found it!

Thank you Toggl for helping me keep my time straight and helping my Business !

Pros

Amazing support
Easy to Use
Great Performance
"sexy" reports
Clean Design
Having a Clean Dashboard with the important information time-related
& more :)

Overall, let's face it...is just an App..but an Amazing one you should try it to Increase the quality of your life and Performance of your Business by spending the time in a more efficient & effective way as possible !

Cons

I can't use it without having the Internet On. (will be a great idea to have an option to track the time spent on your laptop and when you have the wiffi available again to sync the time)