Float

4.5 (1,153)
Resource planning for agencies, studios and firms.

(1,153)
4.5/5

1,153 reviews

Colby G.

• Customer Support Software

A fantastic, easy to use software that gets the job done

Reviewed on 2020-08-16

Pros

The simplicity of Float was what sold it for us. As a company with around 90 very busy engineers and designers, entering workload data needed to take less than 5 minutes. With Float we can do this. Once all the data is in Float, managers can easily see who needs more work and who is overloaded. Support is also fantastic. The instant message service on the website always gets a fast response.

Cons

No major issues. If I had to nitpick, I had to create a workaround to allow all employees to be able to automatically see every project in the system sithout assigning it to them. To do this I had to make every user an admin. But this works fine.

Resource Management

Reasons for Choosing Float

Excel was very manual, cumbersome and time consuming.

Reasons for Switching to Float

The ease of use was critical to us. Float did everything we needed it to.
Laura P.
  • Industry: Media Production

Great value. Lots of potential

Reviewed on 2019-09-05

I've been using CETA scheduling software for the last 4 years in big VFX companies and I must say that Float is not there yet but is actually getting broadly comparable. In the last 4 months that I introduced it into my new team it's proved to be quite useful to keep track of the progression of our projects. During these months I've seen that it has already improved in many areas that I'm excited to see what comes next.
I can see it can become a really powerful software.

Pros

There aren't may softwares that let you schedule a team in such an easy and organised way.
I think most softwares nowadays are too complex and make you spend more time organising tasks than actually working on them.
Float is so clear and simple you can actually use it to manage big projects without spending too much time on it.

Cons

It's getting better, but it would be very useful if we could:

- Right click on a pencil and be able to copy it over into a different person.
- Book more than one person on the same project (for example if two workers are on the same project because one of them is doing a training but you don't want to charge twice for that time).
- Lately when I try to schedule more than 1 project in one day on the same person I get a message saying I can't schedule anyone for more than 24 hours) even if I'm not exceeding the 8 normal working hours. It'd be great if that could be fixed.
- It'd be good if milestones were more visible.
- I think reports should be a bit less complicated and more visual.
- It'd be really helpful if you could group projects up in folders when you go to the Projects tab as at the moment we have like... 45 different projects going on and although we color code them it's difficult to organise all of them.
-I'd like to have more than only three types of view when looking at our schedules a part from 'Days, 'Weeks' and 'Months'.
It'd be great if you could 'Archive' users as well as projects. So when a worker it's not working at the company anymore and you don't want to pay for it on Float you can kind of 'Archive' him (so you are not able to book him on anything but still you can see him on the boards so you don't loose what it's been scheduled on him.)

ShotGrid, Asana and monday.com

Reasons for Choosing Float

Monday has too many tools that you don't really get to use when scheduling. It also doesn't have an overview of projects as clear as the one Float has.

Reasons for Switching to Float

Its the closes to CETA software that we could find. It's good value for the price it offers and it's very intuitive and flexible.
Leandro M.

Best time tracking tool I've used so far

Reviewed on 2021-02-18

After using other 2 tools to log hours, I definitely choose float as my preferred one

Pros

The product is so intuitive, we didn't need a company meeting to explain how it works, we just started using it right away, and nobody experienced problems on how to use the tool.

Logging hours is so easy, specially when you have your hours already planned.

Cons

Not sure if there's a way to plan vacations from float, right now we have to use a separate tool for that, and would be great if we could do everything from just one place

Response from Float

Hi Leandro,

Thanks so much for your feedback and review! There is an option to add time-off to your schedule which includes vacation/paid leave, sick leave, and personal leave.

We'd welcome hearing more specific feedback on the vacation planning you'd like to see. Please drop us a note to [email protected]

Thanks,
Siobhan @ Float

Sydney G.
  • Industry: Broadcast Media

Functional solution for growing team.

Reviewed on 2021-02-17

Pros

The ability to see all our staff and relevant resources in one place.

Cons

iOS app requires sign in every time it's launched. Push to googleCalendar does not refresh as often as would be ideal.

Roger B.

• Customer Support Software

Development company taking next steps in project management

Reviewed on 2020-08-14

A very positive experience allowing the company I work for to get better more accurate project plans and financial reports.

Pros

The ease of use as a one stop shop, browser based to allow all the development team (and subsiduary but linked teams) to see important dates like dev complete, bug fix windows, cert windows and release dates.

The ability to quickly block out time for features and projects.
The ability to add notes and details to tasks.
Fully fleshed out holiday and time off structure.
Robust financial reports possible with very high degree of accuracy for budget per project, per quarter, per annum.

We used to get by with using Excel, we invested in Float and it has taken the companies' project planning to the next step. I would recommend Float for small to mid sized companies definitely, it is a great product boost and good way of reporting and seeing issues early.

Cons

it does not allow you to easily move a bunch of small tasks along in the timeline, that's my only main gripe, you can't band box select you have to shift select. Everything else is intuitive and easy.

Reasons for Choosing Float

Excel was clunky and out schedule was increasing in ambition and scope.

Reasons for Switching to Float

the website and videos showing features were clear and clean and one of my peers had previous experience and good reviews of the product and we were given a gratis time period to try things out, this helped us alot in making sure Float was the product for us.
Tomasz F.

• Customer Support Software

Resource planning in big picture

Reviewed on 2019-09-09

Float is great tool that helps us in three ways:

1. Planning resources in the near future - thanks to this we can easily know what specialist and when will have free time for some short maintenance or start new project.

2. Planning time off office days

3. Get statistics about how much time was spend in which project in wide perspective and quickly check who and when was working on what milestone off the project for client reports.

Pros

How easy it is. To book resource or edit time range you only need a few clicks or drag and drop.

Cons

It will be nice to get notifications about not booked time of some resource and small tool for moving all booked resources for a given project in time.

Harvest and Mavenlink

Reasons for Choosing Float

Paymo was slow and has bad mobile app

Paymo

Reasons for Switching to Float

Nice UI, easy to set up, fast to add and modify

Program Manager using Float

Reviewed on 2019-02-11

We are using Float in our organization to manage resource allocation and we have been using it for the last 3 years. It has been mostly great and enhanced our resource allocation amazingly and provided great visibility into resourcing across different programs and into the future. We use Float to track Holidays and vacation across all regions (worldwide), we use it to forecast allocation and revenue across the team per each project. Permissions are straightforward and allow us to control what we want. We can keep projects as tentative while awaiting for the contract and still allocate people to provide visibility into anticipated resourcing load. Overall Float has been great for us and I would recommend it to any organization providing services and focused around resourcing their team. Float has been constantly evolving and you can notice the difference and improvements rolled out weekly if not daily. Thank you for your work Float team!

Pros

- Easy of use
- Performance
- Interface
- Good visibility into my resources and their load

Cons

- There were couple glitches and numerous updates in January but that is resolved now
- Previously performance was not great, but there are great improvements recently on that part
- Adding holidays could be easier
- When grouped by project I'd like Float to show all assigned project for people, not only specified project

Allysa J.

Float is great

Reviewed on 2019-02-13

Pros

It's really really REALLY easy to use with a very intuitive interface. Float is continuously tweaking features for the better to further improve upon the UI/UX. My project management team did a lot of research on resource management tools and Float was the only one that allowed for such a granular view (i.e., instead of planning sprints in 2 weeks, it's day by day). We needed that for our business as we are run day-to-day with sometimes very small tasks (0.5-1hr) and Float was the only one allowing us to get that granular. Further, whenever we've had an issue the Support team is very quick and responsive to helping us!

Cons

The Reporting tools aren't as great and well-organized as our Finance/Billing team would like. But the front-end is superior to the other tools my team considered so we are still using on that front.

Rick D.

Great tool for day to day business!

Reviewed on 2019-08-02

Pros

Float is very easy to use and makes you activities for the day very insight-full. As project manager it is possible to see all the activities for the team in a blink of an eye.

The sorting functions are great; by project, by team and more. Also adding repetitive tasks and scheduled items is very easy.

This tool improved our daily workflow greatly!

Cons

For now we really don't have any dislikes at all. All our requirements for good planning/team management software are met in Float.

Rachel S.

Great software

Reviewed on 2019-08-02

Float allows the entire studio to understand what they're booked on and gives the managers a greater understanding of when tasks are completed.

Pros

Float is a really helpful piece of software, especially for running studio resourcing. The flexibility of being able to move jobs between different resources is great. Definitely one of the easiest resourcing tools i've used.

Cons

After doing a a few resource moves the system gets a bit buggy and you have to refresh or sometimes log out and log back in again to see the changes you've made.

Greenhouse

Price!
Steve P.

Float>>Super Scheduling Tool

Reviewed on 2020-02-05

Pros

The ease of use, and visibility to my team's schedule is great.

Cons

Had some issues logging in early on, but the Admin was able to take care of it.

Visio

Visio
Chris N.

Great Concept with Some Server issues

Reviewed on 2019-08-02

Float helps us accurately manage our project life cycles and also individual workloads to ascertain useful information about performance rates and also account health.

Pros

Float is visually very easy to read and allows users to be succinct but detailed at the same time.

Cons

Float tends to not register all our changes and tends to not be completely "LIVE" as it requires multiple refreshes at times to attain the most updated information. This is mainly happens when there are multiple project managers.

The export report is not as detailed as I would like it to be. It would be more beneficial to have monthly exports with breakdowns per job, per person and per week. I need to use the raw data more often than referring to the online report so it would be good to see some improvements on this.

Review after 3 years as an Software Company to follow our client's project

Reviewed on 2019-08-12

We choose Float because it doesn't do a lot of things but what it does it do it well

Collaborative
Efficient for each project manager

Cons

Difficulties to follow each budget for every project we deploy
Smartphone apply very limited

Wrike

Reasons for Switching to Float

Easy to use, more focus on basic features
Hannelie V.

Key resource management tool

Reviewed on 2019-08-19

Very easy to use, great dashboards and continuous enhancements to the product.

Pros

Easy to navigate and setup.
Integration with Outlook.
Out of office functionality.
Administration module to access invoices etc.
Team setups

Cons

More fluent way of connecting to JIRA.
Financial management and time tracking would be great.

Reasons for Choosing Float

We couldn't track our resources utilisation and priorities effectively

Reasons for Switching to Float

Inexpensive and had all the features we needed
Jodine B.
  • Industry: Design

Floatastic

Reviewed on 2019-01-23

It's been invaluable for design resource planning and tracking for both designers seeing their plan for the week and account managers ensuring we have enough hands on deck.

Pros

We've been using Float for daily and forward resource planning for about 2-3 years. It was good to start with, but has continually been updated and improved, the latest version has great new features that we've always wished we had. There are tons of great features: colour coding of projects, annual leave and public holiday entry, scaling of time blocks.

Cons

Most of the niggles have been fixed in this latest update. But having to enter hex numbers for colour selection. It's account managers using this product not designers.

Sam M.
  • Industry: Management Consulting

• Customer Support Software

Float is my go-to tool for time management

Reviewed on 2017-09-12

I manage a team of 8 consultants. Float allows me to see where everyone is going to be on just one screen, instead of having to check 8 different calendars. Ease of my job is absolutely the biggest benefit.

Pros

Weekly emails, ease of adding in new projects or tasks to existing projects, the color options (it's like working in a rainbow!), and the reporting/statistics feature. It's nice being able to see current utilization vs. projected. It's very basic, but very straightforward. I also love how it's cloud based, so I can access it anywhere I need to.

Cons

My only complaint is that if you make adjustments to the weekly schedule too close to when the weekly emails go out, the changes might not always get picked up in the notification. I've worked with the developer team to try and figure this one out without any luck. It's so minor, though.

Edward W.
  • Industry: Media Production

Great scheduling tool

Reviewed on 2019-08-01

I've used Float for a number of years now, it's my go-to tool for scheduling resource as it's very quick to setup, and only takes a few minutes each day to update and maintain. The pricing model is also great, as it's per resource, so you can have as many (free) account as you like with access to see the schedules still.

Pros

Float is great for scheduling development resource, the biggest advantage it offers is the ability to quickly and easily make amends and changes, and seeing what impact that has on other projects.

Cons

the UX can be a bit fiddly when it comes to setting up repeating events, such as weekly maintenance windows. It does however become easier once you master the keyboard shortcuts.

Ryan D.
  • Industry: Animation

• Customer Support Software

Great resource for resource and project management!

Reviewed on 2020-07-29

Great overall experience with a simple UI that gets the job done with little to no problems.

Pros

Graphs and charts are easy to read, allowing me to quickly see what projects I'm on and what is coming down the pipeline in the following weeks.

Cons

Time tracking would be a great feature to have that I wish was available, with that float could become even closer to my all-in-one app for project management.

Response from Float

Hi Ryan,

Thanks for your review! We do have time tracking available as an add-on feature in Float. You can check out how it works on our website here, https://www.float.com/how-it-works/time-tracking.

A free 30 day trial is available from the Team Settings page inside Float. Your team's timesheets will be pre-filled based on their scheduled task hours. All they have to do is verify them, and hit "Log"!

Please feel free to email [email protected] if you have any questions.

Cheers,
Siobhan

Dharmesh K.

Excellent for easy Project Scheduling

Reviewed on 2020-07-30

Excellent !!!

Pros

I am using float for almost 2 years not and I am in love with it!!
It made my life easy when I am working on multiple projects with easy navigation, clean design and easy to understand interface.

The reporting tool in float is an excellent tool to get an insight of billability plus more for whole workforce.

Export feature allows to easily export whole data in CSV format for further analysis.

Notification also serves a useful purpose which notifies user through the app or email when a change is made or new item being added.

I highly recommend Float for managing projects, scheduling and resources.

Cons

Nothing as of now as it has all essentials features inbuilt.

Amanda F.

One of the better project management tools out there

Reviewed on 2019-09-05

Pros

I like that you can split bookings and set different hours on different dates, rather than blanket booking a full resource.

Cons

I dislike that you must click more than 2 times to add a new project. It's an extra step that I find a bit more cumbersome than other project tools.

David B.
  • Industry: Mining & Metals

Excellent tool

Reviewed on 2019-01-16

We are using float every day to manage our 12 week resource schedule and balance the workforce.

Pros

It is simple and easy to use . The User Interface is clean an uncluttered and you can quickly see who has capacity to take on more work.

Cons

We would like the ability to lock down the settings and colours, so we can enforce upcoming jobs of different type or status are shown in the same colour. It would also be good to have regional settings for things like public holidays so these aren't applied globally. Holidays differ across countries (e.g. thanksgiving doesn't apply in Canada and Australia.

Joanna N.
  • Industry: Online Media

• Customer Support Software

Very useful but it takes some time to learn how to use it

Reviewed on 2019-08-02

Pros

My favourite feature of this software is the fact that everyone can customise how the app looks like. I can sort data exactly how I want and make it more useful for myself.

Cons

At the beginning splitting and moving tasks can be a quite hideous job. Especially in the environment where we have many changes during the week, it can be difficult to keep track on everything.

Karen H.

Float- A User's Prospective

Reviewed on 2019-08-01

I am a new user, but so far Its very easy to use, and at a glance I can manage my assigned projects and obtain much needed information.

Pros

the text-to-white space ratio; the UX is not cluttered; easy to navigate-the first time I opened the software, I knew where to go to find the information I needed because it is very intuitive.

Cons

The information is only as good as what's entered, so I'd like to make certain if not all fields mandatory. For example; when you click on a project a new window appears- All of the information regarding the project should be required. Also, the grayed out sections of a team members schedule- you could list the project there in a faint color.

Chloe D.
  • Industry: Primary/Secondary Education

Works well

Reviewed on 2019-09-05

Pros

It is intuitive and easy to use. It has allowed for better communication with my manager and colleagues in order to keep the many parts moving in a complex, long-term project.

Cons

I don't have any complaints about the features I use. I would like to start using more of the features in the future.

Jim D.

The best resource management software I've used

Reviewed on 2019-01-18

Float does a great job coordinating resource allocation among multiple projects in a visual and seamless way.

Pros

1. I can search by name of the teammate or the project
2. I can create a report of scheduled hours based on any period of time
3. Clicking on the report tab automatically picks up the project at which I'm looking at now in the scheduling tab
4. Editing allocations is easy

Cons

1. Load slowly for organizations of 100+ teammates
2. Once, when it asked me to reload to get the new version, then it stopped working