1,148 reviews

Float

Resource planning for agencies, studios and firms.

4.5 /5 (1148 reviews) Write a Review!

1,148 reviews
Kenneth krogh R.
  • Company size: 1,001-5,000 Employees

Float - Nice tool for team management

Reviewed on 2021-02-18

Pros

It is a very visual tool, I love the timeline graph where you can easily filter down the resources on both person and project tags.

Cons

It is rather simple and I would like some more options for tailoring the product to our specific needs, like setting monthly cost limits and including more visual options on each project.

Nicolae M.

Amazing Software

Reviewed on 2021-02-17

We use it on a daily basis to keep track of tasks and time spent on each.

Pros

The utility of it, efficiency, and the UX design.

Cons

I haven't explored its full capacity but No cons so far.

Nathalye L.

• Customer Support Software

Great tool for visibility of projects

Reviewed on 2020-08-17

Overall my experience as an active user of Float has been great, it is very simple to use, and allows management to keep projects organized.

Pros

The bird's eye feature is a must, it allows for full visibility of the whole team, or segments of it, and allows managers to keep track of current, past, and upcoming projects.

Cons

Time report integration, we use Harvest and we have to use a different partner for this.

Response from Float

Hi Nathalye,

Thanks so much for your review! We don't currently have any direct integrations with other time tracking tools. We do have time tracking available as an additional feature though on Float that pre-fills your team's timesheets based on their work schedule. https://www.float.com/how-it-works/time-tracking

You're welcome to try this add-on free for 30 days. An Account Owner can activate this from the Team Settings page inside Float.

If you need any help or have further questions, please feel free to email us at [email protected]

Thanks again for the review!

Brad W.

Float review for Audio Visual Studio

Reviewed on 2019-01-17

With using Float we have been able to have one central, accessible platform for the team to schedule tasks and projects and to assign them to the relevant individuals, sometimes weeks ahead of the deadlines. This has improved the teams overall planning of jobs and has allowed us to see what we can take on, what we need to reschedule and at times when we have to call in additional help to meet the deadlines. Float is quite easy to use and is improving all the time with new features. For us as an audio and design studio it has become an essential tool in our day to day operations that has benefited our overall productivity.

Pros

As a busy audio and visuals studio the biggest advantage we have seen with using Float is the scheduling feature. This allows us to schedule when projects and tasks need to take place, and who is working on and responsible for each project and task. As we have a number of people on our team and often numerous projects on the go at one time, Float has allowed us to better coordinate everything and has become vital in ensuring that projects and tasks are completed on time by each individual team member. As a team we can view the overall workload and time frames involved, while as an individual you can keep track of what tasks or projects you are working on and what projects you can or can not take on due to scheduling.

Cons

Sometimes the administrator /account owner has certain scheduling permissions and can add projects for individual team members int he scheduling feature. This is great but when these scheduled tasks or projects need to be changed or reshuffled it can only be done by the admin person / account owner and not the individual. There have been times when the admin person has not been available and I have needed to change the scheduled projects created by the admin person but have not been able to and have had to wait for the admin person to do it. This is the only downside so far that I have experienced using Float.

Davy H.

Excellent tool for team scheduling and follow-ups

Reviewed on 2019-08-02

Our company went from 1 to 5 people in the past year. We also have interns or students that are only here for a while. We now have a tool that allows us to follow up projects and team schedules in a very clear way without creating big overhead costs. It works fast and efficient for us.

Pros

Easy to use. We can view the schedule of the entire team in one screen and make instant changes if necessary.

Cons

When creating tasks, the difference between creating projects and clients can be annoying. Also: provide more colours! ;-)

Marco M.

Great software for planning but missing some features.

Reviewed on 2020-02-12

Overall I am very satisfied with Float, as it allowed me to save a lot of time in my planning activity and provided the company with a tool that everyone can use.

Pros

I really like the possibility of having a global view of the activities and the possibility of having a fast (very fast) synchronization with the Outlook calendar. Furthermore, it is really useful to assign different roles to people in order to define planning permissions.

Cons

I am not crazy about the graphic style of the calendar / schedule view. Hiding over the weekend it is difficult to see at a glance the separation between the various weeks. Also there is no translation of the portal in Italian, not a serious deficiency, but if there were it would be better :)

It also lacks the ability to view your schedule in a daily agenda format in order to have a more precise schedule of your commitments, as you can do through outlook.

Stephen C.

Reviewed on 2020-02-06

I have a team spread around the globe and this really highlights what work and projects are being carried out by the team and provides a good forecast of where resource shortfalls are.

Pros

The software is easy to use and has many features that support resource planning in flexible ways.

Cons

There could be some work on the global settings where we can convert from a local currency (i.e. Euros, Pounds, Aussie dollars) into a default currency to see how projects compare with each other when normalised.

Ben C.
  • Industry: Telecommunications

Flexible and responsive

Reviewed on 2019-08-02

Float has given me the ability to schedule resources from a regional perspective and utilise cross project multi skilled resources.
I can easily search a resource skill and view their availability !

Pros

Being able to make changes and have those changes reflect live on my teams phones is a HUGE benefit!

Cons

responsiveness of the website. Would be great to have local instance for a faster response when making changes

Jo H.

Easiest visual scheduling ever

Reviewed on 2020-09-21

I love it! I could never go back to the old paper and whiteboard workflow planning systems I used a decade ago!

Pros

Simple colour blocking makes workflow easy to take in at a glance (perfect for visual thinkers like me!).

Cons

Sometimes when you scroll left it takes you back to the log-in screen.

Jason S.
  • Company size: 501-1,000 Employees

Great for planning resources

Reviewed on 2020-08-26

It's been a great tool in the toolbox! I will continue to use it and expand my use of its features, since I'm surely not using it to its full capacity.

Pros

Float is super easy to use and is a perfect fit for what I use it for, which is mostly planning resources and allocating tasks for high collaboration digital projects. I love being able to check out our Float boards and instantly see who has availability and manage timelines accordingly.

Cons

I haven't tapped into the reporting aspects too much. I feel like I shift things around so often as timelines change (argh, clients) that it's tough to go back and look at how things changed and affected resourcing/capacity. But that's alright, I use other tools for that.

Response from Float

Hi Jason,

Thanks for your review! We've recently added some new enhanced features to reporting which you might find helpful. Feel free to check out the details on our blog post, https://www.float.com/blog/new-reporting-options.

If you have any questions or feedback please email [email protected] We'd love to help you continue to make the most of Float and the reporting features available too!

Nick C.

• Customer Support Software

Float is a great solution for small businesses looking to get their schedules organised

Reviewed on 2017-11-27

Easy visual scheduling for the team

Pros

We love the easy drag and drop interface, the ease of use of the whole system, the API allowing us to create/sync projects and tasks from our project management system, and the ability for our team to sync their Float schedule to their iOS or Exchange calendars via the iCal feed.

Cons

We think there are some minor things that would make the software even easier to use missing from it:
- ability to drag and drop to copy a schedule from one person/resource to another (not just reallocate)
- ability to see Notes on a project by hovering over the quick note icon on the schedule
- ability to see confirmed appointments vs tentative (clients are using colours to do this at the moment)

Callison N.
  • Industry: Public Relations & Communications

Packed full of features but not fully utilised

Reviewed on 2020-06-30

It was easy to implement and helped streamline our scheduling of jobs within the team. However, it is has lots of features which weren't properly utilised and lacked better user experience.

Pros

It does not require all users to create a user and login. The administrative team set up all colleagues and could get started with scheduling work immediately. That convenience helped allow the rest of the team to be freed of the cumbersome admin work and concentrate on our tasks. The whole seamless implementation is complemented by how our team members could check our schedules right from the browsers.

Cons

The application seemed to be a bit laggy. It is probably due to a lot of features that most of us do not require using. Without proper onboarding UI/UX, it further discourages us from exploring the application to find out how to put it to good use.

Faye B.
  • Industry: Fund-Raising

• Customer Support Software

Into the future you go with Float

Reviewed on 2019-01-17

It has transformed our creative deparment going from excel sheets sent around via email at the end of the week to everyone having an account and checking their workload for the day. It has also meant I can work closer with the finance department to forecast and see hours burnt.

Pros

Float completely transformed our creative department as it allowed me to be much more reactive with organising the workflow of the floor. Float gave me back so many hours to manage projects. It's very easy to use and a great way to see what projects are booked in with who. We have multiple projects and the colour coding tool for clients is a dream!

Cons

The only con I have found with Float is aligning the same projects tasks in one line. For instance Person A could have Project X with 1st development ending on tuesday and 1st comments on wednesday starting 2nd development, if they have another project, say project Y that could be in the same row as 1st development and 2nd development could be a line below making it a bit hard to follow.

Finn B.

Wonderful piece of software

Reviewed on 2019-08-02

Pros

Float has given me more overview in my day-to-day planning at work. It's a wonderful tool that does what you'd expect. Besides the wonderful functionality and ease-of-use, it looks very good, too.

Cons

I'm personally missing a few key features:

- I'd like to see Google Calendar integration, it'd be nice to see my day in my calendar on the go.
- Notifications would be handy, I've had it happen my planning has been changed without me knowing.
- A dark theme is always a good thing, would love to see that added.

Response from Pixel Paddock

Hi Finn,

Thanks so much for the feedback!

We do have a Google Calendar integration. You can select this from the global navigation menu > My profile settings > Integrations.
Support article: http://support.float.com/en/articles/2795210-google-calendar-integration

We're working on notifications at the moment, stay tuned!

Thanks again for the feedback and choosing Float!

Jamie B.

Float 2017-2019

Reviewed on 2019-01-17

Our team would be unorganised chaos without it!

Pros

I've been using Float to organise the structure of our Design Team for over two years now, we trialled a few different alternatives but ultimately Float was the top pick for our team. The simplistic booking system means ease of use for our Designers, we can view our work, the time, the project type, and add in notes with project manager names so we know who to contact. Being able to share an un-editable version of this schedule with the wider team is perfect for visibility on available time.

Cons

The lack of an Android version of the Float app.

Marc S.

Overall a good tool

Reviewed on 2019-08-06

It's one of the best tools on the market.

Pros

Float is a relatively easy to use tool regarding its amount of features. The UI is quite intuitive and the Float guys are updating and implementing features regularly.

Cons

Since we implemented our whole company in Float the system got slower. It was much faster when we had only 30-40 employees to handle. Now with nearly 500 it often reacts slowly and that feels like a bug. There are a lot of features still missing and I wish there were more possibilities to customise.

Response from Pixel Paddock

Hi Marc,

Thanks so much for the review!

We're always keen to hear from our customers about improvements and new features to add to Float. Please feel welcome to email [email protected] with your specific feedback.

Kem P.

Quick and easy

Reviewed on 2019-09-05

I find Float very quick and easy to use. On the rare occasions I have shared feedback with the Float team responses have been swift and considered. There have been significant improvements during the time I've been using Float which has streamlined features and usability.

Pros

I think one of the most attractive features is it's ease for inputting data and activities. It's quick and easy, and this makes it easy to teach and implement within a team. The last thing you want is a tedious process that is time consuming and slows down productivity.

Cons

Overall I think it is very simple and easy to use. Some of the recent updates and features that have been added over the last couple years have overcome some of the issues that I probably noticed when I started using it.

Eloah V.

Efficient and helpful

Reviewed on 2020-08-14

It helps easily keep track of what we have to do and what we've done. It joins together to do list and schedule, which is really nice to save time. And also very useful to see what colleagues are working on and if they're available.

Pros

The ease of scheduling tasks, being able to duplicate them throughout the weeks, and also the reports of time spent, overtime, etc.

Cons

Nothing, it's all pretty good and smooth to use.

Sean B.

Great app for coordinating our company!

Reviewed on 2020-08-13

Pros

Our team uses this software to coordinate multiple aspects of our client's campaigns, assuring everything is happening on time. We are able to see how things are coordinating from a high level, and also focus in on tasks for our department specifically. We love Float!

Cons

Reflecting events that take place on the weekend can be a little cumbersome. It's doable, it just takes a couple more steps than it would typically.

Shams A.

Reviewed on 2020-08-14

Pros

Not only you can keep track of what you have to do on a daily basis, but also on what has been done.

Cons

It's not easy to navigate through time, zoom out, in, and to find "today" once you lost it.

Ineshka D.

Good software on Float

Reviewed on 2020-02-06

Overall, a great software that does the job - but could be more useful and embedded into customers work life with some added features like to-do lists and other planning functionalities.

Pros

I've always liked using this app. It's super easy to use, I can access it on my phone too. I really like the fact that I can see other team member schedules as well as my own.

It would be amazing if you could build into Float and add the function to do have your own to-do lists. I think it would go great with the scheduling/planning features of the software.

Cons

Sometimes it can be frustrating when I've been double/over booked for something and I can't reject/appeal/flag the booking in my schedule. It would be nice if I had more flexibility and control over my own schedule without PM's being able to book in whatever they please.

Renee J.
  • Company size: 501-1,000 Employees

Float Review

Reviewed on 2019-01-30

I love using Float! I had to convince my managers to hop on board but once I provided a tutorial everyone jumped on board. Staff comes to me and asks who is available in a week to help with something and I can very quickly say go to person A, they have availability. I no longer have to talk to my boss and my other project managers to check someone's availability and I can easily solve staffing challenges. Float is exactly what I needed for my department.

Pros

Float doesn't get mixed up with trying to provide so many options that it becomes unusable. When I was evaluating software this is what I found everywhere. I needed help visualizing what my employees are working on and that is exactly what Float provides. It is easy to use and you can put as little or as much information in as you want. Even with the tiniest amount of data you get to see everyone's schedules.

Cons

I don't actually think it's the software but I think it's my internet browser.. Sometimes it is hard for me to scroll through my employees and look at the schedule. Again though, I don't think it's the software but my firefox browser causing the issue... I know, I know, switch to chrome already.. I just don't want too.

Matt H.

Excellent tool with great reporting

Reviewed on 2020-02-05

Pros

Ease of use and clear, concise reporting

Cons

Could be improved with the addition of a live time tracking timer

Kevin A.
  • Company size: 1,001-5,000 Employees

• Customer Support Software

Perfect way to track time

Reviewed on 2021-02-17

Pros

I love the intuitiveness of the software, and it provides a really great visual to see what I've worked on, along with what my coworkers are working on. The analytics reporting is also very interesting, and though I have not much use for it, it is a great way for higher management to track our projects.

Cons

Our office had trouble putting in PTO at first; it only worked after I created a custom time-off category, and only then was it available for the rest of the team. A strange little hiccup, but now it works perfectly for entering in time off. Another strange thing that I don't particularly like, is that when inputting certain tasks that may end on the half hour instead of the hour, the day will look visually longer than it actually was. If I work 3 hours on one task, and 5 hours on another, it's visually consistent with the size of an 8 hour block. But, if I work 7.5 hours on one task, and 0.5 hours on another, it looks like it's the size of an 8.5 hour day. It would just be nice if the hour totals always corresponded to the correct size of the time block.

Rob C.

Excellent Option for Resource Management

Reviewed on 2020-02-06

It has really helped us get a sense of our workload vs resources, and identified clearly where we need to invest to remove pinch points.

Pros

Easy to set up working hours, and to see visually where there are pinch points and where resourcing is stretched.

Cons

It isn't so easy to move projects around. A more detailed list view per project (where you could assign tasks to users and put provisional dates), would be simpler when setting up multiple tasks for a project or where you need to radically reorganise projects and priorities.