Float

4.5 (1,387)
Resource planning for agencies, studios and firms.

(1,387)
4.5/5

Faye
  • Industry: Fund-Raising

• Customer Support Software

Into the future you go with Float

Reviewed on 1/17/2019

It has transformed our creative deparment going from excel sheets sent around via email at the end of the week to everyone having an account and checking their workload for the day. It has also meant I can work closer with the finance department to forecast and see hours burnt.

Pros

Float completely transformed our creative department as it allowed me to be much more reactive with organising the workflow of the floor. Float gave me back so many hours to manage projects. It's very easy to use and a great way to see what projects are booked in with who. We have multiple projects and the colour coding tool for clients is a dream!

Cons

The only con I have found with Float is aligning the same projects tasks in one line. For instance Person A could have Project X with 1st development ending on tuesday and 1st comments on wednesday starting 2nd development, if they have another project, say project Y that could be in the same row as 1st development and 2nd development could be a line below making it a bit hard to follow.

Davy

Excellent tool for team scheduling and follow-ups

Reviewed on 8/2/2019

Our company went from 1 to 5 people in the past year. We also have interns or students that are only here for a while. We now have a tool that allows us to follow up projects and team schedules in a very clear way without creating big overhead costs. It works fast and efficient for us.

Pros

Easy to use. We can view the schedule of the entire team in one screen and make instant changes if necessary.

Cons

When creating tasks, the difference between creating projects and clients can be annoying. Also: provide more colours! ;-)

Teamleader and Google Sheets

Reasons for Choosing Float

Google Sheets was becoming to complicated to follow up billable hours, tasks and schedules. Float brought all of those together for our team.

Google Sheets

Reasons for Switching to Float

Google Sheets was not efficient anymore. Teamleader had too many features for our current needs and would have created more overhead costs.

• Customer Support Software

Great for a high level, resource management tool.

Reviewed on 9/2/2020

Pros

Its a user friendly tool that makes resource management and managing a team of 40 with varying skillsets, availability, and calendars feasible.

Cons

It is not customizable, few api integrations that have worked, no development hope even when communicating with brand reps. You almost are forced to use it as is, off the shelf, or not at all.

Reasons for Switching to Float

Cheaper, visually appealing, you can stack by department, skill set, tag, etc. in ways other tools cannot.
Brittany
  • Industry: Food & Beverages

Life saver

Reviewed on 11/2/2022

Pros

Float has saved my life a time or two! Either by reminding me about an upcoming appointment I'd forgotten or even by lending me a few bucks for gas to get me through till pay day! Thanks Float!

Cons

Not a thing to complain about here THANK YOU FLOAT!

Rawiri

How Float works for us

Reviewed on 8/18/2020

After using the Trial, we found the best way to apply it to our business and implemented quickly for Live usage. We have been using Float daily since and it has been successful in providing a complete overview of staff workload and availability. It provides clarity for future scheduling.

Pros

* Provides an overview of scheduled work and staff availability for forecasting and scheduling
* Ability to assign consultants to specific projects, while also assigning individual tasks.
* Minimal duplication of work as the system maintains the lifetime of the projects
* Ability to link to Jira tasks
* Easy to schedule timeframes
* Can view based on teams or individuals

Cons

Not a lot we didn't like, but it would be great to have;
* Task breakdowns
* Two way Jira linking (Currently only from Jira)
* Pull more data from Jira (Timeframes etc)

Todoist and Trello

Reasons for Choosing Float

It didn't provide an overview of staff availability for forecasting purposes

Reasons for Switching to Float

It covered some of the basic features of Asana but providing an overview of staff available and scheduled work, which was a higher priority for us.
Lewis
  • Industry: Mechanical or Industrial Engineering

• Customer Support Software

You might manage without it, but you really shouldn't

Reviewed on 6/17/2022

Good, really helps to smooth things out by communicating the schedule to everyone concerned, easy to learn and use, support is fast and friendly.

Pros

Zapier integration, user interface/layout, ability for others to view the schedule without being a billed user, flexibility, detailed reporting function, contstant improvements and updates.

Cons

I'd like to have employee birthdays displayed on the schedule somehow, other calendars use suitable icons e.g. cake with candles. There's really nothing else important I'd ask for.

Toggl Plan

Reasons for Switching to Float

Better layout and interface, does it's job of resource management very well without becoming a bloated jack of all trades master of none, easy to use, per user pricing was acceptable.

Response from Float

Thanks for your review, Lewis! Great to hear that Float is keeping everyone in your team in the loop.

Stephan

Float made scheduling a breeze

Reviewed on 6/15/2022

Job scheduling across a large team is now much easier. Integrating with our job management tool saves time on timesheet management and ensures jobs don't go over on time.

Pros

One dashboard, one overview of all resources and it integrates with our job creation tool which makes it super easy for timesheets. Moving jobs to other days is just a drag and drop away.

Cons

It would be awesome, if a job doesn't exist in our job management tool, if float could create it via push.

Response from Float

Thanks for your review, Stephan! Great to hear you're saving time on task management with Float.

Dimitri

Great user friendly tool

Reviewed on 6/14/2022

Fantastic experience so far!

Pros

It is so easy to use, to log time, to get insights and create/visualize reports/actuals in a project delivery context so just AWESOME!

Cons

Nothing that comes to mind, it's really a great product

monday.com

Reasons for Switching to Float

Price and features/ not overkill of functionalities we won't use at this stage

Response from Float

Thanks for your review, Dimitri! So happy to hear that Float is working well for you.

Accessible task management via Float

Reviewed on 6/22/2022

In general, Float has assisted us in moving across from one system to another without disruption.

Pros

The presentation of all the features makes use of the software easy for technical and non-technical users alike. That reduces time spent in training users.

Cons

I guess the need to log in is a very mild pain point, but a necessary one.

Response from Float

Thank you for your review!

Gordon W
  • Industry: Design

A great solution for a small team with room to grow

Reviewed on 1/17/2019

Not having to rely on tools that weren't built for this purpose to achieve the desired output is fantastic. Excel is for numbers and spreadsheets, not managing project.

Pros

I love that this is an affordable, web-based, easy to configure and use tool that is extremely flexible. There's a lot of power in only asking for as much information as is needed in order to be useful. It's a great visual way to manage projects and people and to get a sense of how people's workload is at any given moment. As an end user, it's great to be able to see how my week is looking at the start so that anything that comes up can be managed and it's a burden to try and juggle it all.

Cons

Float very much purpose-built to schedule work, but there are a number of features that are present in more project-focused solutions which are lacking-- namely time tracking and dependencies. However, adding some of these features might sacrifice that which makes Float great at what it does, simplicity.

Colby

• Customer Support Software

A fantastic, easy to use software that gets the job done

Reviewed on 8/16/2020

Pros

The simplicity of Float was what sold it for us. As a company with around 90 very busy engineers and designers, entering workload data needed to take less than 5 minutes. With Float we can do this. Once all the data is in Float, managers can easily see who needs more work and who is overloaded. Support is also fantastic. The instant message service on the website always gets a fast response.

Cons

No major issues. If I had to nitpick, I had to create a workaround to allow all employees to be able to automatically see every project in the system sithout assigning it to them. To do this I had to make every user an admin. But this works fine.

Resource Management

Reasons for Choosing Float

Excel was very manual, cumbersome and time consuming.

Microsoft Excel

Reasons for Switching to Float

The ease of use was critical to us. Float did everything we needed it to.
Ben

• Customer Support Software

Simple and powerful resource management tool to manage team workload

Reviewed on 8/5/2020

We really love Float and it’s been a game changer in effectively managing our resources across projects. We now have a clear view on our resource pipeline and it’s allowed project managers to better utilise team based on availability and make more informed hiring decisions.

Pros

Easy to setup and use without any training required. Clean interface that makes it easy to view and update resources assigned to projects. Love the ability to easily drag to extend duration of tasks assigned.

Cons

Would be great if there was a better integration with our timesheet tool (Xero) to populate timesheets automatically based on plan in Float.

Response from Float

Hi Ben,

Thanks for your review! I've passed your Xero integration request to our team.

I also wanted to let you know that we do have a time tracking add-on in Float that pre-fills your team's timesheets based on the work schedule. You can find out how it works here, https://www.float.com/how-it-works/time-tracking.

All Float users can try time tracking free for 30 days. The Account Owner needs to activate this from the Team Settings in Float.

If you want a demo of how it works, or have any questions, please feel free to email us at [email protected]

Thanks again for the review!

Cheers,
Siobhan

Alex

Minimal and polished UI, but not lacking in features

Reviewed on 7/30/2020

Pros

As a developer it's easy to get sidetracked. That's why we have project managers and Float. Float helps me not only keep track of what I should be doing and when I should be doing it, but it also helps me keep track of what my colleagues are doing. Especially now, when working from home is the new normal, it's really easy to check if one of my colleagues is working and if they might have some time available for me. All that without having to add 20 filters and navigate a complex UI. Float has all the features in all the right places but still manages to keep a minimal looking UI.

Cons

There are only minor annoyances I have with Float (they're more like nitpicks anyways). A filter to hide projects that aren't being worked on in the current week/month would be nice. Also, there's a lot of freedom when assigning colours to a project. Maybe some predefined colour palettes would work better and stop our our schedule from looking like a lego brick wall ;)

Oliver

Best Scheduling Tool on the market

Reviewed on 8/24/2020

It's fantastic to use :)

Pros

So I hardly ever write Reviews, and even less on software - but Float is an exception.
This tool really change the way our Agency works, especially in times of 100% home-office.
It's amazingly simple to use, has a great overview of your team's schedule, and makes forecasting and reporting extremely easy.
I'd give this tool 12 points if I could!

Cons

There are a few minor glitches - but the customer service team including the devs are very helpful!

Google Sheets

Reasons for Switching to Float

It supports the resource management in the most perfect way
Ben
  • Industry: Telecommunications

Flexible and responsive

Reviewed on 8/2/2019

Float has given me the ability to schedule resources from a regional perspective and utilise cross project multi skilled resources.
I can easily search a resource skill and view their availability !

Pros

Being able to make changes and have those changes reflect live on my teams phones is a HUGE benefit!

Cons

responsiveness of the website. Would be great to have local instance for a faster response when making changes

Jo

Easiest visual scheduling ever

Reviewed on 9/21/2020

I love it! I could never go back to the old paper and whiteboard workflow planning systems I used a decade ago!

Pros

Simple colour blocking makes workflow easy to take in at a glance (perfect for visual thinkers like me!).

Cons

Sometimes when you scroll left it takes you back to the log-in screen.

Brad

Float review for Audio Visual Studio

Reviewed on 1/17/2019

With using Float we have been able to have one central, accessible platform for the team to schedule tasks and projects and to assign them to the relevant individuals, sometimes weeks ahead of the deadlines. This has improved the teams overall planning of jobs and has allowed us to see what we can take on, what we need to reschedule and at times when we have to call in additional help to meet the deadlines. Float is quite easy to use and is improving all the time with new features. For us as an audio and design studio it has become an essential tool in our day to day operations that has benefited our overall productivity.

Pros

As a busy audio and visuals studio the biggest advantage we have seen with using Float is the scheduling feature. This allows us to schedule when projects and tasks need to take place, and who is working on and responsible for each project and task. As we have a number of people on our team and often numerous projects on the go at one time, Float has allowed us to better coordinate everything and has become vital in ensuring that projects and tasks are completed on time by each individual team member. As a team we can view the overall workload and time frames involved, while as an individual you can keep track of what tasks or projects you are working on and what projects you can or can not take on due to scheduling.

Cons

Sometimes the administrator /account owner has certain scheduling permissions and can add projects for individual team members int he scheduling feature. This is great but when these scheduled tasks or projects need to be changed or reshuffled it can only be done by the admin person / account owner and not the individual. There have been times when the admin person has not been available and I have needed to change the scheduled projects created by the admin person but have not been able to and have had to wait for the admin person to do it. This is the only downside so far that I have experienced using Float.

Joseph
  • Industry: Environmental Services
  • Company size: 501-1,000 Employees

Intuitive and helpful software, let down by occasional performance issues

Reviewed on 9/9/2019

Although I list here several cons, I think these are far outweighed by the practical benefits of using the product, and certainly don’t dampen the experience too much. My experience so far with Float has been one of trying to make it reflect reality, and encourage adoption within our organisation. I think the real advantage of using it will be one project managers are widely aware of its benefits, and proactively use it to resource projects and keep abreast of changes in the availability of our team.

Pros

Float is an incredibly intuitive piece of software to use, with a simple calendar-like interface that everyone can understand. I have found that this aspect of the software is helpful in promoting its adoption within our teams. The experience is consistent across the product, which has allowed me to discover more and more features in and enrich the experience of using the product.

Cons

The performance of the software is occasionally a bit lacklustre. For example, I often find myself accidentally clicking somewhere on the screen which prompts a dialogue box to open to enter a new task. This problem is especially pronounced when using a trackpad, and isn’t something that I experience elsewhere. Additionally, the interface seems to have a strange way of ‘splitting’ tasks that occur across multiple days. I have found that it often leaves blank gaps that give the illusion that a team member is working more hours per day than they actually are.

There are a few features that I would like to see when going forward. Firstly, I think it would be good if there were different options when ‘resizing’ a task. Currently, the task can be resized independently across both axes (i.e. how many hours per day, and across how many days). I think it would be good if there were an option for these to affect each other – i.e. the total number of hours allocated to the project remains the same and could be allocated fewer hours across more days, or more hours across fewer days.

Sara

• Customer Support Software

Finally -- time management that works for project managers and visual designers

Reviewed on 1/17/2019

We needed a way to easily plan and then communicate on our respective tasks for the week. With Basecamp (what we use for project management currently), we could pull to-do lists, but we didn't have a macro view on the week or the month with the time that it would take to complete those tasks. My designer felt like he couldn't really "'visualize" his week and couldn't communicate easily what tasks were taking more or less time than needed. Float has proved to be invaluable for time management and communication.

Pros

I like that I (as a project manager) can manage time easily for our team of two, but can easily add contract workers, and that visually it works for my designer as well -- he struggled with really seeing how his week needed to flow when just using tasklists, like Basecamp.

Cons

Anything I haven't liked has been added (e.g. ability to do recurring tasks, reordering tasks). It's a small thing, but we also spend way too much time trying to figure out colors for all of our projects after using the default ones. I would love to be able to add a project from the schedule interface -- like when I go to schedule time and I type in a project, it tries to find it; if it's not there, it would be nice to just have "add this project" without having to exit out of the scheduling box and go into Project.

• Customer Support Software

Choosing Float as a communication tool means choosing a pillar of agility and attractiveness...

Reviewed on 7/30/2020

What do your employees expect in terms of corporate communication? Employees no longer hesitate to use their personal tools and applications for professional purposes. Collaboration and communication tools promote new uses and new ways of working within a digital, agile company that is increasingly extended to its external ecosystem. Collaboration and communication tools promote new uses and new ways of working in a digital, agile and increasingly extended company to its external ecosystem.

Float as an internal communication tool makes all this possible, bringing managers and employees closer to the company and meeting their expectations in terms of information. Fun, practical and functional, Float has become for me an indispensable managerial tool, both to explain the company's strategy and to highlight my results. It also allows me to motivate my colleagues!

Pros

I find that the features already present are exactly what I need for my start up: the possibility to call each other via Chrome browser is a plus.
The mobile application is really very useful and makes Float easier to use. Not only does it allow me to continue to follow the threads of conversation wherever I am (in a meeting, on the road, anywhere), but also to send attachments (images, records, etc.).

The integration with other applications is very ergonomic: I use Jira and Confluence a lot and the widgets in Float are very responsible as soon as I import a link for my collaborators.

Cons

I'm a fan of it, I find that it is not lacking in functionality, but if I ever change my mind, I know that the customer service department will welcome my remarks and suggestions with kindness and professionalism.
However, I do find that the possibility of not having to change browsers and make or receive calls from Mozilla would be great.

David

• Customer Support Software

A solid system for smaller teams

Reviewed on 2/22/2021

Great system, great team. There is a lot of very good positives for Float, but I can see there is still room to grow, but I have no doubt the team at Float will progress this in time.

Pros

Float is incredibly easy to use and integrate into smaller teams. Visually straightforward, it gives you quick and simple answers to essential resource-based questions and allows team members to see what work they should be progressing and when in a tidy calendar view. In addition, there is an easy link between time in the calendar to projects that can be managed quickly.

Cons

I do find that compared to some other systems, a level of detail when it comes to finances and budgets vs resource is missing. Whilst you can get some very top-level detail, the ability to link actual time spent versus project budgets is a little simplistic and could be expanded upon to really drill down into more detail to provide better overall reports.

Allysa

Float is great

Reviewed on 2/13/2019

Pros

It's really really REALLY easy to use with a very intuitive interface. Float is continuously tweaking features for the better to further improve upon the UI/UX. My project management team did a lot of research on resource management tools and Float was the only one that allowed for such a granular view (i.e., instead of planning sprints in 2 weeks, it's day by day). We needed that for our business as we are run day-to-day with sometimes very small tasks (0.5-1hr) and Float was the only one allowing us to get that granular. Further, whenever we've had an issue the Support team is very quick and responsive to helping us!

Cons

The Reporting tools aren't as great and well-organized as our Finance/Billing team would like. But the front-end is superior to the other tools my team considered so we are still using on that front.

Katerina

Excellent, does the job

Reviewed on 6/15/2022

Fast and easy to use. What else is there to like about an online tool?

Pros

It's simple, clean, loads pretty fast and gives the best statistics and insights that come in handy. The administration of our company also prefers it over other online planning tools, for its convenience. The different colors feature that separates users is really a cherry on top of the whole set-up.

Cons

Logging in hours as a user could be more visible than it is right now. Users may find it quite knotty considering other features of Float; many coworkers have asked about where it's located.

Response from Float

Thanks for your review, Katerina!

Filipe

Best in class for resource management/allocation

Reviewed on 3/11/2021

Pros

I find that Float is best in its class for resource management. My managers use Float to manage our pipeline. Float allows us to see the data in many different ways and that does make a difference in the user experience of the product.

Cons

The only thing I can think of is that it could have more integrations with other products.

Response from Float

Hi Filipe,

Thanks so much for your review! You can view our growing list of integrations here, https://www.float.com/integrations. We'd welcome hearing your feedback on other products you'd like to connect with Float. Please email [email protected] to let us know!

Cheers,
Siobhan @ Float

Review after 3 years as an Software Company to follow our client's project

Reviewed on 8/12/2019

We choose Float because it doesn't do a lot of things but what it does it do it well

Collaborative
Efficient for each project manager

Cons

Difficulties to follow each budget for every project we deploy
Smartphone apply very limited

Wrike

Reasons for Switching to Float

Easy to use, more focus on basic features