Float

4.5 (1,586)
Resource planning for agencies, studios and firms.

(1,586)

Kavindu Githsara
Kavindu Githsara

Keep Your Business Afloat

Reviewed on 2023-02-19

Overall, I would recommend Float as a useful tool for managing cash flow and making financial decisions. Its intuitive interface, powerful scenario feature, and the ability to link to existing accounting software make it a helpful addition to any business’s financial toolkit. However, the cost may be a barrier for some businesses, so it’s important to carefully evaluate the pricing plans before committing to the software.

Pros

Float is a cloud-based cash flow forecasting and management software designed for small and medium-sized businesses. As a user of Float, I find the software to be a helpful tool for managing cash flow and making financial decisions. One of the primary benefits of using Float is the ability to visualize future cash flow, which is useful for planning and forecasting. One of the key advantages of Float is its intuitive interface, which makes it easy to use and navigate. The software allows you to link to your existing accounting software, which means that data can be automatically imported into Float. This saves a lot of time and reduces the chance of errors, which is particularly important when dealing with financial data. Another benefit of Float is the ability to create multiple scenarios, which can be used to model different financial outcomes.

Cons

One of the potential downsides of using Float is that the software can be expensive, particularly for small businesses. The pricing plans are based on the number of cash flow forecasts that you need to create, and this can add up quickly.

Mohammad
  • Company size: 5,001–10,000 Employees

• Customer Support Software

Float is your management tool for a good business.

Reviewed on 2023-03-03

Monthly cost is very low, services are great, support is wonderful, interface is a wow.

Pros

Sync. of Float with other calendars such as Outlook and google makes life easier to work. All the reminders sent are great.

Cons

Could not find anything wrong with this software.

monday.com

Reasons for Choosing Float

Found more options in Float, it exactly has what our company needs.

ZenHR

Reasons for Switching to Float

After analyzing how it works we found that it does not contain all the features we are looking for.
Paul

Float for time management

Reviewed on 2019-01-17

Problematic - not 100% sure this is floats problem, as it seems designed for the restaurant/service industry, and we are more a agency/service business.

Pros

I like the fact you can filter and search by people and/or project

Cons

I don't like that you cannot see 3months in advance on 1 screen. It's still laggy when scrolling, we have 70 people timesheeted and we have project managers filling this in, they find it cumbersome. The repeating tasks are not well formed, as in if you set a repeating weekly task then want to edit one week to be say 3 days, it won't let you do it.
We have other awkward things around adding contractors or people leaving jobs, it would be nice if Float had more sample data as I think sometimes we uncover usecases they haven't tested for - atleast tested the UX for.
I'd love it to improve, as the last speed improvement they did was a step in the right direction, but more customisation is needed.

Marta

• Customer Support Software

Imaging floating through production or traffic management meetings!

Reviewed on 2023-03-21

We have been using it for almost 2 years, overall we are happy although it took a bit to get the hang of things. The customer service was super nice and helpful the couple of times I have reachedout.We have tried the time recording module a few months back but the price was too much for us at that time.

Pros

That once you get the hang of it is great tool for my team (about 40 team members). The big board gives great overview and the filters work like charm! As long as you have set them up correctly. This took a bit to click through all the team members but once done it make traffic management SO much easier!

Cons

Lack of multiple currencies, very cumbersome managment of retainer projects (those that need to be repeated month by month). Phases don't really work for me as it's too much maintenance and it's not the easiest to do

Resource Guru, monday.com and Microsoft Excel

Reasons for Switching to Float

Interface, price, personal preferance that's difficult to pinpoint at the moment.
Davy

Excellent tool for team scheduling and follow-ups

Reviewed on 2019-08-02

Our company went from 1 to 5 people in the past year. We also have interns or students that are only here for a while. We now have a tool that allows us to follow up projects and team schedules in a very clear way without creating big overhead costs. It works fast and efficient for us.

Pros

Easy to use. We can view the schedule of the entire team in one screen and make instant changes if necessary.

Cons

When creating tasks, the difference between creating projects and clients can be annoying. Also: provide more colours! ;-)

Teamleader and Google Sheets

Reasons for Choosing Float

Google Sheets was becoming to complicated to follow up billable hours, tasks and schedules. Float brought all of those together for our team.

Google Sheets

Reasons for Switching to Float

Google Sheets was not efficient anymore. Teamleader had too many features for our current needs and would have created more overhead costs.
Tomasz

• Customer Support Software

Resource planning in big picture

Reviewed on 2019-09-09

Float is great tool that helps us in three ways:

1. Planning resources in the near future - thanks...

Float is great tool that helps us in three ways:

1. Planning resources in the near future - thanks to this we can easily know what specialist and when will have free time for some short maintenance or start new project.

2. Planning time off office days

3. Get statistics about how much time was spend in which project in wide perspective and quickly check who and when was working on what milestone off the project for client reports.

Pros

How easy it is. To book resource or edit time range you only need a few clicks or drag and drop.

Cons

It will be nice to get notifications about not booked time of some resource and small tool for moving all booked resources for a given project in time.

Kantata and Harvest

Reasons for Choosing Float

Paymo was slow and has bad mobile app

Paymo

Reasons for Switching to Float

Nice UI, easy to set up, fast to add and modify
Ben

• Customer Support Software

Simple and powerful resource management tool to manage team workload

Reviewed on 2020-08-05

We really love Float and it’s been a game changer in effectively managing our resources across projects. We now have a clear view on our resource pipeline and it’s allowed project managers to better utilise team based on availability and make more informed hiring decisions.

Pros

Easy to setup and use without any training required. Clean interface that makes it easy to view and update resources assigned to projects. Love the ability to easily drag to extend duration of tasks assigned.

Cons

Would be great if there was a better integration with our timesheet tool (Xero) to populate timesheets automatically based on plan in Float.

Response from Float

Hi Ben,

Thanks for your review! I've passed your Xero integration request to our team.

I also wanted to let you know that we do have a time tracking add-on in Float that pre-fills your team's timesheets based on the work schedule. You can find out how it works here, https://www.float.com/how-it-works/time-tracking.

All Float users can try time tracking free for 30 days. The Account Owner needs to activate this from the Team Settings in Float.

If you want a demo of how it works, or have any questions, please feel free to email us at [email protected].

Thanks again for the review!

Cheers,
Siobhan

Lewis
  • Industry: Mechanical or Industrial Engineering

• Customer Support Software

You might manage without it, but you really shouldn't

Reviewed on 2022-06-17

Good, really helps to smooth things out by communicating the schedule to everyone concerned, easy to learn and use, support is fast and friendly.

Pros

Zapier integration, user interface/layout, ability for others to view the schedule without being a billed user, flexibility, detailed reporting function, contstant improvements and updates.

Cons

I'd like to have employee birthdays displayed on the schedule somehow, other calendars use suitable icons e.g. cake with candles. There's really nothing else important I'd ask for.

Toggl Plan

Reasons for Switching to Float

Better layout and interface, does it's job of resource management very well without becoming a bloated jack of all trades master of none, easy to use, per user pricing was acceptable.

Response from Float

Thanks for your review, Lewis! Great to hear that Float is keeping everyone in your team in the loop.

Stephen

Reviewed on 2020-02-06

I have a team spread around the globe and this really highlights what work and projects are being carried out by the team and provides a good forecast of where resource shortfalls are.

Pros

The software is easy to use and has many features that support resource planning in flexible ways.

Cons

There could be some work on the global settings where we can convert from a local currency (i.e. Euros, Pounds, Aussie dollars) into a default currency to see how projects compare with each other when normalised.

Planview Portfolios, Trello and monday.com

Reasons for Choosing Float

More flexible, more features and somehow cheaper

Reasons for Switching to Float

They solved the issue I was struggling with which is a team view and resource capacity planning. The other products were either to complex or did not have the features I desired.

• Customer Support Software

Great for a high level, resource management tool.

Reviewed on 2020-09-02

Pros

Its a user friendly tool that makes resource management and managing a team of 40 with varying skillsets, availability, and calendars feasible.

Cons

It is not customizable, few api integrations that have worked, no development hope even when communicating with brand reps. You almost are forced to use it as is, off the shelf, or not at all.

Reasons for Switching to Float

Cheaper, visually appealing, you can stack by department, skill set, tag, etc. in ways other tools cannot.
Shanavas

• Customer Support Software

Float review from a project manager perspective

Reviewed on 2022-06-15

Float has solved issues regarding time allocation and prioritization for me, which is what I really expect from this software.

Pros

I use float to quickly see my and my team's schedule for the day. It gives me an oversight into the entire day's work in a couple of minutes. This is what I like about float

Cons

Logging in time used versus time scheduled can be a bit more streamlined as right now it's a bit difficult to track unless everyone adds in their time log correctly.

Oliver

Best Scheduling Tool on the market

Reviewed on 2020-08-24

It's fantastic to use :)

It's fantastic to use :)

Pros

So I hardly ever write Reviews, and even less on software - but Float is an exception.
This tool really change the way our Agency works, especially in times of 100% home-office.
It's amazingly simple to use, has a great overview of your team's schedule, and makes forecasting and reporting extremely easy.
I'd give this tool 12 points if I could!

Cons

There are a few minor glitches - but the customer service team including the devs are very helpful!

Google Sheets

Reasons for Switching to Float

It supports the resource management in the most perfect way
Oluwadamilola
  • Industry: Financial Services Software

Effective Resource Management with Float: A Review

Reviewed on 2023-01-21

Overall, I've been pleased with my experience using Float for managing my team's resources. It's easy to use and keeps everyone organized, but the mobile app could be better.

Pros

Float has made managing my team's workload a breeze. The drag-and-drop interface is intuitive and the real-time updates keep everyone on the same page. Highly recommend!

Cons

While Float has a lot of great features, the mobile app could use some improvement. It's not very user-friendly and often crashes.

Brad

Float review for Audio Visual Studio

Reviewed on 2019-01-17

With using Float we have been able to have one central, accessible platform for the team to schedule tasks and projects and to assign them to the relevant individuals, sometimes weeks ahead of the deadlines. This has improved the teams overall planning of jobs and has allowed us to see what we can take on, what we need to reschedule and at times when we have to call in additional help to meet the deadlines. Float is quite easy to use and is improving all the time with new features. For us as an audio and design studio it has become an essential tool in our day to day operations that has benefited our overall productivity.

Pros

As a busy audio and visuals studio the biggest advantage we have seen with using Float is the scheduling feature. This allows us to schedule when projects and tasks need to take place, and who is working on and responsible for each project and task. As we have a number of people on our team and often numerous projects on the go at one time, Float has allowed us to better coordinate everything and has become vital in ensuring that projects and tasks are completed on time by each individual team member. As a team we can view the overall workload and time frames involved, while as an individual you can keep track of what tasks or projects you are working on and what projects you can or can not take on due to scheduling.

Cons

Sometimes the administrator /account owner has certain scheduling permissions and can add projects for individual team members int he scheduling feature. This is great but when these scheduled tasks or projects need to be changed or reshuffled it can only be done by the admin person / account owner and not the individual. There have been times when the admin person has not been available and I have needed to change the scheduled projects created by the admin person but have not been able to and have had to wait for the admin person to do it. This is the only downside so far that I have experienced using Float.

Christian
  • Industry: Telecommunications

Float Review

Reviewed on 2019-01-17

We used to use a HUGE white board and dry erase markers for our schedule. We thought that this was the best way for us to tackle our job scheduling and Float was met with a bit of resistance once the boss said we were going to try it.
WOW, were we wrong. I would never look back now that we are using Float. One of the best tools we ever used. We are scheduling anywhere from 18 to 26 techs on this program and I fully encourage anyone even thinking of possibly trying out a program for scheduling to do your self a favor and try out Float. I'd be shocked if your not impressed by it.

Pros

Kudos to you guys! I love the newer faster Float! You are making my job much easier & faster. Love the faster navigating/scrolling and the changing of a task’s time by scrolling on the schedule up or down beats the hell out of having to open the task and do it from there.
Love the new feature that you can hover over the work task and the notes appear without having to open the task.

Great job, keep it up!

Cons

Would like to be able to move a task to the afternoon (or lower in the cell) for a day where it is not a full days worth of hours and there is nothing else for that employee that day. Example, I have a technician on a 4 hour training course and it is in the afternoon. He has nothing else scheduled that day but I can't move the task lower in the cell so it looks like it is scheduled for the morning. It would be nice if you could hover over the "Time off" cells and see the notes associated with it , like you can for a work task, without having to open the "time off" cell.

Joseph
  • Industry: Environmental Services
  • Company size: 501–1,000 Employees

Intuitive and helpful software, let down by occasional performance issues

Reviewed on 2019-09-09

Although I list here several cons, I think these are far outweighed by the practical benefits of using the product, and certainly don’t dampen the experience too much. My experience so far with Float has been one of trying to make it reflect reality, and encourage adoption within our organisation. I think the real advantage of using it will be one project managers are widely aware of its benefits, and proactively use it to resource projects and keep abreast of changes in the availability of our team.

Pros

Float is an incredibly intuitive piece of software to use, with a simple calendar-like interface that everyone can understand. I have found that this aspect of the software is helpful in promoting its adoption within our teams. The experience is consistent across the product, which has allowed me to discover more and more features in and enrich the experience of using the product.

Cons

The performance of the software is occasionally a bit lacklustre. For example, I often find myself accidentally clicking somewhere on the screen which prompts a dialogue box to open to enter a new task. This problem is especially pronounced when using a trackpad, and isn’t something that I experience elsewhere. Additionally, the interface seems to have a strange way of ‘splitting’ tasks that occur across multiple days. I have found that it often leaves blank gaps that give the illusion that a team member is working more hours per day than they actually are.

There are a few features that I would like to see when going forward. Firstly, I think it would be good if there were different options when ‘resizing’ a task. Currently, the task can be resized independently across both axes (i.e. how many hours per day, and across how many days). I think it would be good if there were an option for these to affect each other – i.e. the total number of hours allocated to the project remains the same and could be allocated fewer hours across more days, or more hours across fewer days.

Aidan
Aidan

Beautifully simple and easy to use

Reviewed on 2019-01-26

Float is a product I like using, and I wish some of its features and UX elements were in the other software that I use! We use Synergist for job and project management, but Float for scheduling because it UX is so much better than Synergist's scheduler tool.

Pros

Float's user interface and logic are inspirational. They have made the activity of coordinating multiple resources on multiple projects about as easy as it can be. They have paid a lot of attention to usability, efficient use of screen real estate and simple navigation. However the killer feature is the intuitive yet clever way that searching and data navigation work. All searching and filtering is done using a single search field, which offers indexed word search on pretty much everything including tags. There is also a well-worked out protocol for handling union and intersect searches.

Cons

The only real bugbear is that any user that can enter data into the system can define new values for any field. It isn't possible to centrally control lists such as task names, clients, job descriptions etc. This means that if you have more than one person using the system, very quickly you get different versions of the same thing being defined (e.g. job roles being slightly different) which makes it difficult to analyse across records. Not a dealbreaker, but I do think it should be possible to lock down lists of values. Also it would be good if you could zoom out the view a little more - if you're dealing with more than a dozen resources/projects.

Heather
Heather
  • Industry: Design

Multi disciplinary studio management

Reviewed on 2019-01-22

Currently managing a team of 9 designers in a multi disciplinary team with 30+ different jobs daily. Tool has worked perfectly well for top line management of workflow and constant changing priorities. Visually easy to understand. Since the recent update the software has performed so much better then expected and has made a massive difference to usability.

Pros

The simple usability of the software. How quick it is to add jobs, extend and move jobs around to different people. Flexible scrolling through the weeks. So easy to set someone up and get started with very minimal training. Report system very useful for monthly reports. For top line project management this is the perfect tool.

Cons

The search bar sometimes doesnt work or show particular jobs on occasion. Search seems to only work within the month you are viewing, rather then showing a job from a previous month. This is intermittent and sometimes works to find what you are looking for when refreshed. Still need to test this after the software update to see if it has been resolved.

Doesn't refresh for designers, so we have updated and moved jobs around and they aren't aware as their float has remained the same, unless they manually refresh the window.

Would be great to see more in depth project management potential, such as uploading briefs, designs and signing them off all on this software.

Sara
  • Industry: Design

• Customer Support Software

Finally -- time management that works for project managers and visual designers

Reviewed on 2019-01-17

We needed a way to easily plan and then communicate on our respective tasks for the week. With Basecamp (what we use for project management currently), we could pull to-do lists, but we didn't have a macro view on the week or the month with the time that it would take to complete those tasks. My designer felt like he couldn't really "'visualize" his week and couldn't communicate easily what tasks were taking more or less time than needed. Float has proved to be invaluable for time management and communication.

Pros

I like that I (as a project manager) can manage time easily for our team of two, but can easily add contract workers, and that visually it works for my designer as well -- he struggled with really seeing how his week needed to flow when just using tasklists, like Basecamp.

Cons

Anything I haven't liked has been added (e.g. ability to do recurring tasks, reordering tasks). It's a small thing, but we also spend way too much time trying to figure out colors for all of our projects after using the default ones. I would love to be able to add a project from the schedule interface -- like when I go to schedule time and I type in a project, it tries to find it; if it's not there, it would be nice to just have "add this project" without having to exit out of the scheduling box and go into Project.

Renaud

Great scheduling tool

Reviewed on 2023-08-24

Pros

The scheduling tool and time tracking is top-notch.The reports are great and easy to follow.

Cons

Task management is a bit fiddly and either too or not enough restricted.Having multiple way to define certain information (pricing) is great but can sometimes lead to a lack of clear vision.

Anna Maria
  • Industry: Information Services

Reviewed on 2022-06-24

Very easy

Very easy

Pros

Easy of use, minimal UI, Non technical people can use it.

Cons

You can't easily write on a task. You can't limit the hours of workers.

ClickUp

Trello

Response from Float

Thank you for your review, Anna Maria! Great to hear that you're finding Float easy to use.
To limit a person's hours, try adding custom hours: https://support.float.com/en/articles/28934-set-individual-custom-hours-and-work-days

Guillaume

Long terme planning tool

Reviewed on 2020-08-14

Always have a good view on my team's future.

Always have a good view on my team's future.

Pros

In a blink of an eye, I can see who's busy on what, and for how long. It let me give a clear idea of planning for upcoming projects, see who's available for it and who's on holiday. Also, it let me check if we take too long to finish a project or not (by setting up a budget forecast).

Cons

It would be good to integrate other tools like Yadera or Monday.com. Also, I'd like to have an easier view on days split into different tasks (one per day is really clear, but as soon as you have 2-4 tasks a day, it's harder to read).

• Company size: 501–1,000 Employees

Float Application - One of the best resource managment tool

Reviewed on 2023-08-22

Overall, it's a time-saver tool for our team in the organization as it centralizes a lot of task with transparency.

Pros

One of the things I like best about Float resource management tool is that it allows you to centralize your people and project data. This means that you can easily see the availability, workload, and skills of your team members, as well as the status, budget, and timeline of your projects

Cons

A few points on which float needs to work:- It has few API integrations that work- It has limited reporting and forecasting features or maybe I need to look into it myself.

Jira
David

• Customer Support Software

A solid system for smaller teams

Reviewed on 2021-02-22

Great system, great team. There is a lot of very good positives for Float, but I can see there is still room to grow, but I have no doubt the team at Float will progress this in time.

Pros

Float is incredibly easy to use and integrate into smaller teams. Visually straightforward, it gives you quick and simple answers to essential resource-based questions and allows team members to see what work they should be progressing and when in a tidy calendar view. In addition, there is an easy link between time in the calendar to projects that can be managed quickly.

Cons

I do find that compared to some other systems, a level of detail when it comes to finances and budgets vs resource is missing. Whilst you can get some very top-level detail, the ability to link actual time spent versus project budgets is a little simplistic and could be expanded upon to really drill down into more detail to provide better overall reports.

Priti
  • Industry: Information Services

Resource View

Reviewed on 2021-03-31

It would be a perfect project management tool but needs more work. We are purely using it to manage resources and have other tools/softwares supplementing.

Pros

The visual look and similarity to the age old resourcing view that came out of excel. It makes scheduling easy

Cons

Spilt and having to right click and come back to add/edit every single time. Generally its working well for what we require of it

Microsoft Excel