Chargebee

Subscription billing & Recurring payments software

4.4 /5 (38 reviews) Write a Review!

Nuno L.
  • Industry: Computer & Network Security

Our perfect subscription manager

Reviewed on 2018-11-02

Pros

We rely on Chargebee to manage subscriptions to our product. It's easy to use and to be integrated, and offers many features such as invoicing, TAX calculator based on location, several plans, offline payments, etc. Customer Support is great and they always hear what you say.

Besides managing your subscriptions, it does something very important. By using their payment form on your website, you can easily integrate with several payment processors. This is especially important if you have payments that have been rejected by one processor and you can send them to another processor. It also reduces the dependency on one single processor.

Cons

The only thing that comes to mind is that the invoices it produces are not legal in some countries. For instance, in my country, invoicing software needs to be certified and to produce a SAF-T file with all invoices, that we need to submit to tax authorities. Since Chargebee doesn't do any of that, I need to have a separate invoicing platform.

Chargebee

Reviewed on 2020-07-29

This is the first software that I have used and I found it very easy to learn. I spent a morning going thorugh and learning the ropes and was an expert by the afternoon! Their customer service is awesome and provides great help. However, because it is easy to use, I have not had to use their help more than once.

Pros

Chargebee is easy to use and quick to learn. You are able to access subscriptions with ease. Creating email templates to be sent out is easy. You can view all of your subscriptions on one page or you can add filters to find one specific subscription, too.

Cons

With the email templates, you have to make sure that the client you are sending an email to, has to be in a filter, otherwise, you send it to your entire client base.

• Customer Support Software

It's a useful application if you have the significant large volume of customers for Invoicing

Reviewed on 2018-06-14

Saving lots of time in Invoicing to the customer.

Pros

The application is Subscription enabled. So if the monthly billing amount is same then the subscription will create Invoices every month automatically without manual involvement.

Cons

Sometimes due to system error invoices get created and get paid, which is not in order. I cannot bill single customer from to supplier.

Response from Chargebee

Hi there,

Thank you for your review :) We¿re glad that you find our product useful.

Regarding invoicing due to system errors, I would like to understand more on this. Could you please send me your email address so we get in touch with you on this?

Sally M.

• Customer Support Software

Wish it were a bit easier

Reviewed on 2018-02-02

Pros

I LOVE that you get to start for free while you're getting set up and building your business. That option is very valuable to me and the clients I work with. That is probably the #1 reason my clients have chosen the platform in the past.

Cons

There's so much to set up and sort out, and while it's nice that they reach out to hop on a call and give support (they reach out too much, actually), I'd rather have tutorials or even just a clearer sense of what to take care of first, what comes next, and on and on.
It also surprises me at times how seemingly simple things are not handled simply. For instance, you should be able to send invoices without a client's credit card, or set up multiple payment plans within the same product.

Response from Chargebee

Hi Sally,

Thank you for taking time out to review us :) I¿m happy that you find our test environment valuable and useful.

Regarding your feedback on set up, we will surely take this into consideration and work on a much more easier and quicker way to help set up the Chargebee account. Should you have any queries, please reach out to me or our support team and we will do our best to resolve them.

Todd, chair, bostonchi

Chargebee is great!

Reviewed on 2013-05-18

Our small local professional org / non-profit was looking for a newsletter / member management system that was supported and not going to break the bank. During our investigations of MailChimp, we learned about Chargebee. While a relatively new company, we were given confidence by MailChimp's endorsement. We went live a week ago with our new solutions and cannot be happier.

Pros

We've found Krish and his team to be super helpful. They were responsive and informative to our pre-sales questions and have been helpful setting us up with their system. Generally, the product is very easy to use. They are receptive to feedback.

Cons

Since Chargebee is a new company, there are a few rough spots, for example, when using their hosted payment pages, any payment errors are generic. Also, for someone not familiar with payments, some of the configuration took some work.

Response from Chargebee Inc.

Thank you Todd. A pleasure to work with you. Your inputs on your use cases certainly helped us & your review has been a great help to import your existing subscriptions. Looking forward to a long relationship. Thank you.

Stéphane M.

• Customer Support Software

An essential tool to avoid a mess in your monthly and yearly subscriptions over time.

Reviewed on 2020-09-08

Pros

Robust platform from which you can build a large customer base with different types of subscriptions. High level of customization. The information is well structured. It does integrate well with Stripe.

Cons

The UI could be sexier and the learning curve is steep. Sometimes, it is not intuitive and rely a lot on our IT team to support us internally.

Chargebee Review

Reviewed on 2019-04-18

We were looking at a few options for recurring billing and happy that we chose Chargebee. It does the work for us and we are focusing on more important tasks.

Pros

Great tool for automated recurring billing. My team was up to speed fast and didn't face any issues. Intuitive.

Cons

Not enough filters option to sort the base of users. Matters especially if you want to export lists.

Peter S.

Reliable recurring billing platform

Reviewed on 2018-09-13

Pros

Chargebee is a very effective platform for recurring billings. It allows you to create plans, addons, coupons, and invoice reliably time and again.

Cons

Complex billing situations, such as sending a customer a single invoice for several subscriptions, are a bit more complex and require a lot of meddling with the system.

Response from Chargebee

Hi Peter,

We do have a feature called Consolidated Invoicing that provides the functionality to consolidate and send out a single invoice for multiple subscriptions of a customer. We will send out a detailed email to you on this feature at the earliest.

Yuval M.

• Customer Support Software

Good of the shelf product, with a lot of problems when you scale

Reviewed on 2020-03-05

We are still using it, but more because the time and cost to change is very high than for other reasons - and I am not sure that forever is going to be the case. I wouldn't recommend using this product if you need anything beyond the basic subscription management capabilities. Support wasn't good either. In 6 months we had 3 account managers change and I am not even sure how to reach our account manager now. When coupled with the pricing they charge, I wouldn't recommend utilizing this product beyond its basic subscription management.

Pros

I love that it has multiple options and features. And the core subscription management works really well. It is great for companies that start from scratch and need quick 0-80 solution.

Cons

The issues start when you go deeper. Revenue story has lots of data reliability issues, slow refresh rates, information that changes in hindsight. The more you leverage the advanced capabilities the more disappointed you are. We had dashboards disappear, web hooks not triggering without any apparent reason and much more. We need to spend hours validating the data and double check three times before we can decide to rely on the output.

Jake F.
  • Industry: Food & Beverages

Powerful product, 1 stop shop for subscription management

Reviewed on 2017-12-12

Pros

We rely on Chargebee for the recurring element of our business. It is incredibly flexible in the types of subscriptions you can create, and how you want to manage them. Every single element of every customer's subscription is customizable.

Response from Chargebee

Hey Jake,

Thank you so much for taking your time out to review us.

We¿re constantly working hard towards improving our customer experience and reviews like these

We work hard to meet customers¿ expectations and we are happy to know that we hit the mark for you :)

Vivek K.

Payments simplified

Reviewed on 2016-09-06

We have been using Chargebee for over 6 months now and the experience has been nothing but great. The setup and onboarding is amazingly simple. From a developer point of view, integration process has been clearly chalked out and documentation is crisp and to the point. The pricing plan itself is very encouraging. 50K dollars are processed without any cost.

Pros

- Pricing plan
- Integration and Documentation
- Ability to setup coupons
- Direct integration with affiliate systems

Cons

Setting up payments in multiple currency requires a bit of a workaround but again its sorted out.

Musadiq M.
  • Industry: Computer & Network Security
  • Used Other for Free Trial

Nice tool for managing subscription business

Reviewed on 2018-12-12

Pros

I fell in love with ChargeBee's interface and sleek outlook. They have rich features to offer, perfect for companies who look for a solid alternative to manage their subscription transactions.

Cons

Their pricing is something that may bring a challenge for small companies to adopt it. Otherwise, this is nice for large enterprises, even SAAS companies with solid revenue track.

• Industry: Human Resources

Good product, easy to setup

Reviewed on 2019-03-16

Pros

This product allows us to offload some of the product configuration and pricing build that we would have had to do and business users can now configure new product / feature combinations.

Cons

There are still features I wish existed such as more customization on how the pages look in the shopping cart experience.

Harsha H.

Chargebee is the way to go for all your recurring payment needs

Reviewed on 2018-10-09

Pros

The setup was smooth and did not take a lot of time. It integrates well with stripe and complements its feature sets.

Cons

Not a lot that i hate about Chargebee per se but i think integrating with accounting software even on the Go plan would have made it even better.

• Customer Support Software

Great service for managing your subscriptions

Reviewed on 2019-07-31

Chargebee makes subscription management non-brainer.

Pros

Chargebee offers a powerful API to help with managing subscriptions, plans and customers

Cons

The v3 of the customer portal doesn't support all features of v2. Hope that will change

Philip T.

Helpful tool to have

Reviewed on 2016-12-08

Fast update of clients who have paid for their software subscription. Ease of use and handy search function.

Easy Subscription Management

Reviewed on 2021-02-25

It has been useful to set up our automated subscription plans. Creating different plans, promos, and payment methods were quite easy.

Pros

Chargebee makes it very easy to set up automatic billing, subscription creation, and setting up promos for our customers. The interface is fairly straightforward to navigate and they connect with much of our tech stack, which helps streamline workflows.

Cons

Not much to not like. There are a lot of settings, such as reminders and notifications that you need to make sure you set up if you want to stay on top of your billing. Once they are set up, they are very helpful!

Iván G.

• Customer Support Software

Good only if you use the default set-up

Reviewed on 2021-03-17

In the beginning was very nice, but the more I use the product, the less I like it. We are considering moving to a different provider even if this will require to re-implement all our payment process.

Pros

At the beginning, when we started using this software, the setup was quite easy and just following their online documentation we could set up everything in our project.

Cons

Things started to go wrong when we try to use a more advanced implementation using their API. Integration with Hubspot was a mess, but we manage to fix that. On the other hand, 3DS implementation is very poorly documented if you don't use their in-house components. The support team is one of the worst I've encountered, they give you contradictory explanations, they don't even properly read the information you provide and it's very difficult to get the level 2 support.

Razvan G.

• Customer Support Software

Really ease the pain of implementing payment processing

Reviewed on 2019-02-13

Pros

Really ease the pain of implementing payment processing. I have tried implementing Braintree without Chargebee and it was a nightmare.

Cons

I have nothing to complain. They are improving all the time and doing its job.

• Industry: Financial Services Software

Just Stay Away

Reviewed on 2020-06-24

I do not recommend them to avoid at all costs sign up for the free trial and process your first $50k free then move on to another company.software because once you start making money they will ask for a percentage of the money you collect. WHy do they think they are supposed to get paid a percentage of our moneyy?

Pros

The software is compatible with zapier which makes it easy to connect to other apps. or programs.

Cons

This company is based in the Philippines so the customer support for US-based customers is almost nonexistent. The online chat support is a complete joke because they just enter in "tickets" and never one ever follows up with you regarding an issue or concern. Once I sat down to track the payments that were being processed and the payments "could not authorize payment" but the system was marking the payments as paid. So customers are confused as too why they got an email says they paid but no payments removed from their account. The revenue story is unreliable and I have had to hire someone just to go inside of Chargebee to make sure the payments actually processed. Can you imaging hiring someone to double-check software?

Valentin M.

• Customer Support Software

Simply Awesome Subscription Billing that JUST WORKS!

Reviewed on 2015-10-28

I''ve been relying on Chargebee to handle all subscription needs for my online wordpress maintenance service for the last 3 years. They always went above and beyond my expectations in helping me with anything I asked of them. I have never once encountered a problem due to their service! I love their team. I respect their leadership. I highly recommend you check them out!

Pros

Fast and easy setup, Intuitive UI, Rich features, Flexible, Stable, Great support

Cons

None! Never had an issue.

Patrick B.

Excellent product!

Reviewed on 2016-08-16

Chargebee is excellent for subscription businesses who need to manage their payments and invoices. I would strongly recommend trying it out. It's extremely easy to use. Should you run into any issues, their support team is amazing and very responsive.

Pros

Extremely easy to get set up and start taking payments.

Cons

A Xero integration would be useful, which they have built and are currently testing.

Jon C.

• Customer Support Software

Perfect for Non-tangable service based businesses

Reviewed on 2016-12-06

Found Chargebee after switching to braintree payments for my credit card processing needs. Super simple setup, and easy to create products and customer subscriptions. Hosted payment pages make collecting payment securely a breeze.

Pros

Inexpensive payment portal and customer database solution

Cons

n/a

Jacob P.

It's an Okay Product

Reviewed on 2018-08-16

Their customer support team was always slow on getting back to People and they never wanted to just provide you the answers you need, They always wanted to schedule a call back

Pros

That I could start subscriptions for my customers and also invoice them with their profile(accounts).

Cons

It stinks as I could not have a hosted payment portal for my customers to make payments and manage their accounts. Their software is heavily into coding and having the coding experience. It's definitely something not worth my money

Crystal

Stellar service saving time and money

Reviewed on 2014-03-13

I've had many 'long-term' customers, who are very satisfied with my Pilates services, but for whom the whole 'buying/tracking' packages of sessions has become too onerous. Chargebee has allowed me to provide my customers with the same stellar service, but at a reduced cost because I save bookkeeping time and money.