Chargebee

Subscription billing & Recurring payments software

4.5 /5 (36 reviews) Write a Review!
4.5
4.1
4.3
4.2
3.8
Razvan G.
Industry: Information Technology & Services

Really ease the pain of implementing payment processing

Reviewed on 2019-02-13

Pros

Really ease the pain of implementing payment processing. I have tried implementing Braintree without Chargebee and it was a nightmare.

Cons

I have nothing to complain. They are improving all the time and doing its job.

Industry: Financial Services

Just Stay Away

Reviewed on 2020-06-24

I do not recommend them to avoid at all costs sign up for the free trial and process your first $50k free then move on to another company.software because once you start making money they will ask for a percentage of the money you collect. WHy do they think they are supposed to get paid a percentage of our moneyy?

Pros

The software is compatible with zapier which makes it easy to connect to other apps. or programs.

Cons

This company is based in the Philippines so the customer support for US-based customers is almost nonexistent. The online chat support is a complete joke because they just enter in "tickets" and never one ever follows up with you regarding an issue or concern. Once I sat down to track the payments that were being processed and the payments "could not authorize payment" but the system was marking the payments as paid. So customers are confused as too why they got an email says they paid but no payments removed from their account. The revenue story is unreliable and I have had to hire someone just to go inside of Chargebee to make sure the payments actually processed. Can you imaging hiring someone to double-check software?

Likelihood to recommend: 2.0/10

Valentin M.
Industry: Marketing & Advertising

Simply Awesome Subscription Billing that JUST WORKS!

Reviewed on 2015-10-28

I''ve been relying on Chargebee to handle all subscription needs for my online wordpress maintenance service for the last 3 years. They always went above and beyond my expectations in helping me with anything I asked of them. I have never once encountered a problem due to their service! I love their team. I respect their leadership. I highly recommend you check them out!

Pros

Fast and easy setup, Intuitive UI, Rich features, Flexible, Stable, Great support

Cons

None! Never had an issue.

Patrick B.

Excellent product!

Reviewed on 2016-08-16

Chargebee is excellent for subscription businesses who need to manage their payments and invoices. I would strongly recommend trying it out. It's extremely easy to use. Should you run into any issues, their support team is amazing and very responsive.

Pros

Extremely easy to get set up and start taking payments.

Cons

A Xero integration would be useful, which they have built and are currently testing.

Jon C.
Industry: Marketing & Advertising
Company size: Self Employed

Perfect for Non-tangable service based businesses

Reviewed on 2016-12-06

Found Chargebee after switching to braintree payments for my credit card processing needs. Super simple setup, and easy to create products and customer subscriptions. Hosted payment pages make collecting payment securely a breeze.

Pros

Inexpensive payment portal and customer database solution

Cons

n/a

Jacob P.
Industry: Retail
Company size: Self Employed

It's an Okay Product

Reviewed on 2018-08-16

Their customer support team was always slow on getting back to People and they never wanted to just provide you the answers you need, They always wanted to schedule a call back

Pros

That I could start subscriptions for my customers and also invoice them with their profile(accounts).

Cons

It stinks as I could not have a hosted payment portal for my customers to make payments and manage their accounts. Their software is heavily into coding and having the coding experience. It's definitely something not worth my money

Likelihood to recommend: 3.0/10

Crystal

Stellar service saving time and money

Reviewed on 2014-03-13

I've had many 'long-term' customers, who are very satisfied with my Pilates services, but for whom the whole 'buying/tracking' packages of sessions has become too onerous. Chargebee has allowed me to provide my customers with the same stellar service, but at a reduced cost because I save bookkeeping time and money.

Marcus R.
Industry: Information Technology & Services

Great system but requires a god amount of work to setup

Reviewed on 2017-10-16

Pros

The system is really good.
Can create multiple plans, adds on, good too to manage legacy customers and very intuitive to use after the initial setup .

Cons

requires a lot of tinge on the beginning to do all the setup. The person who is responsible for this need to be fully engaged in order to do the right settings.

Peter S.

Reliable recurring billing platform

Reviewed on 2018-09-13

Pros

Chargebee is a very effective platform for recurring billings. It allows you to create plans, addons, coupons, and invoice reliably time and again.

Cons

Complex billing situations, such as sending a customer a single invoice for several subscriptions, are a bit more complex and require a lot of meddling with the system.

Response from Chargebee

Hi Peter,

We do have a feature called Consolidated Invoicing that provides the functionality to consolidate and send out a single invoice for multiple subscriptions of a customer. We will send out a detailed email to you on this feature at the earliest.

Yuval M.
Industry: Information Technology & Services

Good of the shelf product, with a lot of problems when you scale

Reviewed on 2020-03-05

We are still using it, but more because the time and cost to change is very high than for other reasons - and I am not sure that forever is going to be the case. I wouldn't recommend using this product if you need anything beyond the basic subscription management capabilities. Support wasn't good either. In 6 months we had 3 account managers change and I am not even sure how to reach our account manager now. When coupled with the pricing they charge, I wouldn't recommend utilizing this product beyond its basic subscription management.

Pros

I love that it has multiple options and features. And the core subscription management works really well. It is great for companies that start from scratch and need quick 0-80 solution.

Cons

The issues start when you go deeper. Revenue story has lots of data reliability issues, slow refresh rates, information that changes in hindsight. The more you leverage the advanced capabilities the more disappointed you are. We had dashboards disappear, web hooks not triggering without any apparent reason and much more. We need to spend hours validating the data and double check three times before we can decide to rely on the output.

Likelihood to recommend: 3.0/10

Jake F.
Industry: Food & Beverages

Powerful product, 1 stop shop for subscription management

Reviewed on 2017-12-12

Pros

We rely on Chargebee for the recurring element of our business. It is incredibly flexible in the types of subscriptions you can create, and how you want to manage them. Every single element of every customer's subscription is customizable.

Response from Chargebee

Hey Jake,

Thank you so much for taking your time out to review us.

We¿re constantly working hard towards improving our customer experience and reviews like these

We work hard to meet customers¿ expectations and we are happy to know that we hit the mark for you :)

Likelihood to recommend: 5.0/10

Vivek K.

Payments simplified

Reviewed on 2016-09-06

We have been using Chargebee for over 6 months now and the experience has been nothing but great. The setup and onboarding is amazingly simple. From a developer point of view, integration process has been clearly chalked out and documentation is crisp and to the point. The pricing plan itself is very encouraging. 50K dollars are processed without any cost.

Pros

- Pricing plan
- Integration and Documentation
- Ability to setup coupons
- Direct integration with affiliate systems

Cons

Setting up payments in multiple currency requires a bit of a workaround but again its sorted out.

Musadiq M.
Industry: Computer & Network Security

Nice tool for managing subscription business

Used Other for Free Trial
Reviewed on 2018-12-12

Pros

I fell in love with ChargeBee's interface and sleek outlook. They have rich features to offer, perfect for companies who look for a solid alternative to manage their subscription transactions.

Cons

Their pricing is something that may bring a challenge for small companies to adopt it. Otherwise, this is nice for large enterprises, even SAAS companies with solid revenue track.

Industry: Human Resources

Good product, easy to setup

Used Monthly for 6-12 months
Reviewed on 2019-03-16

Pros

This product allows us to offload some of the product configuration and pricing build that we would have had to do and business users can now configure new product / feature combinations.

Cons

There are still features I wish existed such as more customization on how the pages look in the shopping cart experience.

Harsha H.
Industry: Computer Software

Chargebee is the way to go for all your recurring payment needs

Reviewed on 2018-10-09

Pros

The setup was smooth and did not take a lot of time. It integrates well with stripe and complements its feature sets.

Cons

Not a lot that i hate about Chargebee per se but i think integrating with accounting software even on the Go plan would have made it even better.

Industry: Internet

Great service for managing your subscriptions

Reviewed on 2019-07-31

Chargebee makes subscription management non-brainer.

Pros

Chargebee offers a powerful API to help with managing subscriptions, plans and customers

Cons

The v3 of the customer portal doesn't support all features of v2. Hope that will change

Philip T.

Helpful tool to have

Reviewed on 2016-12-08

Fast update of clients who have paid for their software subscription. Ease of use and handy search function.

Brad H.
Industry: Computer Software

Chargebee saved us a TON of dev time.

Reviewed on 2017-10-03

Pros

I love that Chargebee allows young startups to get their feet under them before charging them. The integration into Braintree was SUPER easy and we haven't really had any problems with it since we started using it.

It allows us to manage subscriptions without building our own dev dashboard to do that and gives us much more flexibility than Braintree for doing so. We use coupons to run promos and Chargebee makes that super easy. We use their hosted page for payments inside of an iframe and that has been helpful as well.

Again the biggest thing as a young startup is not having to build all of that ourselves or asking the dev team to make changes every time we need to address an issue. Overall I've been very happy with Chargebee and we plan to continue to use them moving forward.

Cons

I'd love for the reporting dashboard to be a little more robust and user friendly. It's not bad but it could definitely be better.

Being able to accept multiple currencies could also be handled better, but we get by just fine with the way it's set up.

It makes you change your password every 90 days, which is annoying to me but I guess it's more secure...

Samir S.

Recurring subscriptions made easy

Reviewed on 2016-11-13

A fantastic tool which makes it really easy to handle all your subscriptions in one place.
Integrate it with the API and you can quickly start charging your customers on any period that you want. With smart and simple integrations to payment gateways you will see money on your account directly and you don't need to handle the credit card information.
New product and coupons is simply added and managed in the interface.
Looking forward to explore the tool even more.

Simple setup
Great support

Cons

Missing the possibility to be able to add multiple invoice rovs to an invoice.

Alister R.

easy subscription management software

Reviewed on 2018-01-19

managing payments on saas product.

using for invoicing and planning

Pros

nice options available to flexible pricing options for SaaS.

complete suite to manage invoicing and recurring payment.

The test site for training prior to using is also very useful. We are able to use it really well due to this feature and we can train new employees on the product as well.

Cons

payment gateway integration can be a little more seamless they always encourage stripe, but a lot of spurious txns get generated on that platform.

Response from Chargebee

Hey Alister,

Thank you for your review :) We¿re happy that you find our product features useful.

Regarding your feedback on payment gateways, we are constantly working towards a more seamless integration.

Apart from Stripe we do integrate with several other payment gateways and Payment methods, please take a look at it and let us know if you are interested in any of these ( you can reach out to [email protected]) . We will definitely help you with the set-up process.

Leon muller

Great API Docs and Fantastic customer support

Reviewed on 2013-01-02

I first heard of Chargebee after doing some trial integration of both Chargify and Spreedly with our new SaaS app rocketmailmerge.com. A quick look over their API documentation and we were off to work integrating their system with our billing and customer management. Chargebee's API was very easy to integrate, it took only 1 day to get up and running on their sandbox due to their great example code.

As an Australian Startup it's very difficult to find a payment manager that can connect to a payment gateway to process USD. Fortunately Chargebee integrates with both Worldpay and eWay. We use Worldpay as our payment gateway so it was paramount that our payment manager supported them. Not only do they support them but about 25 other payment gateways should we ever need to change payment gateways.

Chargebee's fees are dirt cheap which makes it a great option for startups who are bootstrapping their building. Their pricing is very competitive and was the best I could find on the market.

The team at Chargebee are very helpful and always respond quickly to support emails. Any questions we've had have been answered in detail and the team is a pleasure to communicate with. I will be using and recommending the Chargebee billing platform for all my future projects.

Kate B.
Industry: Insurance

Love Chargebee, it makes our accounting a breeze!

Reviewed on 2019-12-05

Great experience! Quick customer service replies if we ran into any hurdles.

Pros

The set up was easy and tailoring the customer front end was really quick. We had connected our Stripe account and were up and running in less than one hour. The reporting seems really in depth and excited to be able to run reports in many different ways.

Cons

I wish there was a "lite" or startup pricing tier. As a small business the cost is a bit prohibitive on top of the processing fees.

Nuno L.
Industry: Computer & Network Security

Our perfect subscription manager

Reviewed on 2018-11-02

Pros

We rely on Chargebee to manage subscriptions to our product. It's easy to use and to be integrated, and offers many features such as invoicing, TAX calculator based on location, several plans, offline payments, etc. Customer Support is great and they always hear what you say.

Besides managing your subscriptions, it does something very important. By using their payment form on your website, you can easily integrate with several payment processors. This is especially important if you have payments that have been rejected by one processor and you can send them to another processor. It also reduces the dependency on one single processor.

Cons

The only thing that comes to mind is that the invoices it produces are not legal in some countries. For instance, in my country, invoicing software needs to be certified and to produce a SAF-T file with all invoices, that we need to submit to tax authorities. Since Chargebee doesn't do any of that, I need to have a separate invoicing platform.

Chargebee

Reviewed on 2020-07-29

This is the first software that I have used and I found it very easy to learn. I spent a morning going thorugh and learning the ropes and was an expert by the afternoon! Their customer service is awesome and provides great help. However, because it is easy to use, I have not had to use their help more than once.

Pros

Chargebee is easy to use and quick to learn. You are able to access subscriptions with ease. Creating email templates to be sent out is easy. You can view all of your subscriptions on one page or you can add filters to find one specific subscription, too.

Cons

With the email templates, you have to make sure that the client you are sending an email to, has to be in a filter, otherwise, you send it to your entire client base.

Industry: Education Management

It's a useful application if you have the significant large volume of customers for Invoicing

Reviewed on 2018-06-14

Saving lots of time in Invoicing to the customer.

Pros

The application is Subscription enabled. So if the monthly billing amount is same then the subscription will create Invoices every month automatically without manual involvement.

Cons

Sometimes due to system error invoices get created and get paid, which is not in order. I cannot bill single customer from to supplier.

Response from Chargebee

Hi there,

Thank you for your review :) We¿re glad that you find our product useful.

Regarding invoicing due to system errors, I would like to understand more on this. Could you please send me your email address so we get in touch with you on this?