Hightail

Share Files & Collaborate on Creative Projects with Hightail

4.4 /5 (275 reviews) Write a Review!
4.3
Sheila Z.
Company size: Self Employed

I'm not too crazy about Hightail

Reviewed on 2019-11-19

Hightail has some really awesome customer service. Other than that, I feel there are other cloud storage and file sharing applications that are more superior.

Pros

I like that you have a custom link through which your clients or anyone can upload large files to send to you. Likewise, you are able to send professional looking emails with links for your clients to download large files you send to them.

Cons

I was never really able to get the files I stored in the cloud to sync in my local computer drive, so I lost quite a bit of files. I found Hightail more pricier than it needs to be. They used to be great when they were YouSendIt, but once they merged with Hightail, I feel the quality of the product diminished a bit. I didn't like that they do not provide a file preview. So I have to download several photo files to find the picture I'm looking for.

Likelihood to recommend: 3.0/10

Adele H.
Industry: Business Supplies & Equipment

Excellent Service

Reviewed on 2019-07-08

I am very happy with it and I have been using it for many years.

Pros

I run a transcription agency and my customers find it very easy to use my uplink, they like that it is a secure service. I like it because lately it has been a very stable platform to use in sending audio files to my colleagues. I also like that it that it shows a record of files having been sent and confirmation of receipt of files.

Cons

I dislike the black background of the website, it is not easy to see, especially on my monitor. It is also a bit muddled. It is difficult to do a search on files having been sent without scrolling down the page. They also used to send out alerts if they had a problem but this has now stopped.

Robin I.
Company size: Self Employed

I couldn't work without Hightail.

Reviewed on 2019-07-08

I have been very happy with Hightail and have used it for years. I also included the Uplink on my website so clients can upload large files to me.

Pros

Hightail is very easy to use and the recipient doesn't need to have permission or the software or anything else to get my files. It is also very easy for them to forward the email to someone else. This is very helpful when I send large files to my client for printing. They can just forward the email on to their printer.

Cons

There are occasional problem when clients upload files to Hightail - Uplink. I've had several clients complain that they aren't able to upload more than 7-8 jpgs at a time. It is very frustrating and they usually give up and use Google or Dropbox.

Cheryl S.
Industry: Legal Services

Hightail is superior

great

Pros

I can send large quantities of documents to my client and they do NOT have to sign up for a paid subscription. Super easy to use. I can also send my clients my link where they can easily upload to my account. I also love the easy of use seeing the history and being able to forward previously uploaded files to another person. I have tried dropbox (do not like much) and box (same...do not like much) and find hightail far superior.

Cons

Recently, I have heard feedback from first time hightail users that are my clients that when I send them a link, they are confused with the popups that make it seem like they have to set up an account. I have not verified this but if this is true, then that is definitely a minus.

Rita E.
Industry: Accounting
Company size: Self Employed

Hightail Spaces are lost in space

Reviewed on 2019-07-17

I really liked Hightail before they started messing with a great product that included an Outlook add on tool. So easy to securely share files. Now file sharing requires logging into hightail. My customers complained that they were prompted to set up a Hightail account before they could access shared files.

Pros

Hightail has a very user friendly uplink portal. And it is very reasonably priced software for a small business.

Cons

Started with "yousendit" originally and then the file sharing company reinvented itself with a name change that had no identification related to file sharing. Also, Hightail had a great Outlook add on tool that they abandoned out of the blue.

Likelihood to recommend: 5.0/10

Miranda K.
Industry: Telecommunications

Get it for free, keep it forever - Send large files with Hightail

Reviewed on 2020-03-24

Overall, I have been using and recommending Hightail for years and will continue to do so. It's a great service that does what it says it does - helps you securely send large files between parties. Other partners use the enterprise tools and I've found the process of marking up collaborations pretty seamless, as well.

Pros

I have loved Hightail for years. It's a great tool to keep in my pocket for one-off large file exchanges with prospects, new hires, and transient contacts that we don't want to set up on our internal fileshare service. The free send is limited to one file, so make it count!

Cons

Sometimes - just sometimes - a file will slip through the cracks somehow and take a while to process and send. It doesn't happen often, and there doesn't seem to be any particular trigger. High server volume? A problem in the file itself? Who knows? But don't use this service if you absolutely, positively, MUST have the file in the other party's hands within the next five minutes.

Nikki G.
Industry: Design

Satisfied User

Reviewed on 2019-07-08

Overall easy to use, love it.

Pros

I've been using this software for most of my career. Back when it was yousendit, I find it's a great way to send proofs and get a visual confirmation of receipt and that they are capable of commenting directly onto proofs

Cons

The only complaint I have is that I have a lot of contacts and I can't seem to delete or remove old addresses. That is rather frustrating, but used to it so not a deal breaker. If that was corrected that would be the best!!

Jerry B.
Industry: Photography

Best at what they do.

Reviewed on 2019-01-29

I'm a professional photographer and deliver thousands of high resolution photos a month and this would not be possible without this type of quality service.

Pros

Have tried other similar products but none meet the standards set by HighTail. My clients always know they will receive there files online and know they are safely stored. Have been a customer of theirs for over 10 years so I must like the company.

Cons

As a customer for over 10 years I have found no Cons.

James J.
Industry: Printing

Too many features

Reviewed on 2019-09-17

Ease of use and deployment, haven't really needed support.

Pros

Great features and functionality. Easily implemented, and easy to train new staff to use the software.

Cons

We originally had YouSendIt for transferring files through our website. Would love to have a "lite" version that still offered the simplicity of this service.

Christopher W.
Industry: Media Production

The Only Way To Transfer Large Files

Reviewed on 2019-07-08

My clients love Hightail large file transfer, too. They appreciate the manner in which the notifications come to them, and the ease with which they can access and download the large files I send to them. They also love the simple method for sending files to me, utilizing my uplink. I appreciate the Hightail service so much!

Pros

I had been using YouSendIt for years, and have stuck with the company through the re-branding to Hightail, and the acquisition by OpenText. I've tried other collaborative large file transfer services, but have always either found inadequacies of design, reliability issues, and poor support. Hightail is it for me! I will go nowhere else.

Cons

After the most recent redesign of the website, I have had no issues, and can't list any "cons" about the Hightail service, as used by me.

Rex B.

Art Director

Reviewed on 2019-01-30

As a graphic designer focused on print media, I often send substantial files to customers and printers. Hightail isis much more accessible and instantaneous than Dropbox or other competitors. Recipients do not have to log in to a web portal to retrieve our images, saving time and frustration.

Pros

Ease of use, reliability, history, affordability

Cons

Clients are sometimes confused about how to offload files.

Lori L.

Great Sharing Software

Reviewed on 2019-09-18

I've been using Hightail since day 1. I am very pleased with the quality and the ease of sending documents to customers that are too large to email.

Pros

Being able to use spaces for customers to review their proofs.

Cons

There is not anything that I least like about it. I'm happy with the whole experience.

Cary G.

Software Thoughts

Reviewed on 2019-02-04

Pros

Hightail is very user-friendly. Very little training necessary.

Cons

New features sometimes make you change the existing user-experience / user-behavior.

Jeanne S.
Industry: Telecommunications

Secure file sending

Reviewed on 2019-07-08

I feel it is much easier to use than Drop box and I can send a lot bigger files. I should take the time to go through all of the new options that I can use, but I don't have time.

Pros

Many of our clients do not want to do reviews from vimeo or Youtube because it interferes with there SEO. Though Hightail you can be sure that they can view or download a files without problems.

Cons

Even though I have used my contact list many times, I still have to copy and paste email address as they don't just pop up when starting to type them in.

Industry: Higher Education

Quick and Easy

Reviewed on 2018-10-22

Pros

I use this software at least a few times a week. Large files are sometimes a pain to send through email; Hightail makes this whole process quick, easy, and efficient. I can grab the link after I have sent files over to someone's email, I can request a download receipt, I can make certain files password protected, and I can even have some Hightail files expire if needed. I've never spent more than 5 minutes prepping to send out a Hightail file.

Cons

The download time is sometimes long depending on the file sizes and internet speed you are working with. I have waited a few hours sometimes for downloads. This is the only place I wish could be improved.

Gordon C.
Industry: Publishing

Great service

Reviewed on 2019-07-08

I send large files to customers around the world. I need to keep track of the files and know when they are downloaded.

Pros

Simple, reliable, fast, accurate, dependable.

Cons

A few features I don't understand...that's my problem. I would like to have a feature that allows me to limit the number of downloads. That would be very helpful to me. I sell download files of sheet music that are copyright and I need to limit the number of times the file is downloaded. Shopify, where I have my website hosted has a digital download app that allows me to put a number on how many times the file will be downloaded.

Industry: Marketing & Advertising

Everything you need when sharing files

Reviewed on 2019-01-30

Pros

That you can define expiry dates and access credentials. It allows to transfer a large amount of files. It allows teams to create shared spaces to share files.

Cons

Nothing to comment. Everything is great :)

Jess C.
Industry: Printing

Customer Support was excellent

Reviewed on 2019-01-29

Problems, were mine. Nonetheless they were quick to assist.

Pros

Customer Support/Delivery was quick, responsive and helpful.

Cons

Product Name Clarity. I thought I was buying an I7 8th gen chip, it was an I5 7th gen.

Industry: Entertainment
Company size: 10,000+ Employees

Reliable File Sender

Reviewed on 2019-08-25

This was my go to for high res files and large content to send to outside partners. I no longer use it because IT has proposed a new site.

Pros

This was a minimalist but easy to navigate option for sending larger files that cannot go onto an e-mail via attachment.

Cons

Unfortunately there was a max file size and my company decided they preferred using another option for sending big files. Also, some files would not send, despite receiving confirmation.

Industry: Photography

Hightail Software Application

Used Monthly for 2+ years
Reviewed on 2019-01-30

I am a professional photographer, and Hightail has been extremely useful when I need to quickly transfer images with very high resolution to clients located internationally.

Pros

I like the versatility of Hightail. Once you have an account set up, you can use its desktop application to upload numerous files (of very large sizes) to multiple recipients. You can also perform the same tasks via your account on Hightail's website.

Cons

One cannot upload a file and forward the link to download the file to multiple people via email. This is not necessarily a "con", as this is a cybersecurity issue, but it does mean you may have to upload the same file many times to send it to specific people if they were excluded or forgotten in previous distributions.

Jane B.
Industry: Education Management
Company size: Self Employed

Easier interface for me than Dropbox.

Reviewed on 2019-01-30

I'm a writer and almost all of most of my business files are small. I mostly use Hightail to share videos, which I don't take often, but it's been absolutely seamless for that.

Pros

Ease of use. Straight forward. Just type in an email address, write a note if you want, and drop in your file.

Cons

No complaints. I'm edging toward retirement so I'm mostly using it socially, and don't need it very often, so per use can get a bit expensive for me.

Hightail for Advertising Agency

Reviewed on 2019-09-30

Hightail has been one of our preferred programs for sharing large files between teammates, outside agencies, and clients.

Pros

Great service to allow for sharing of large files, that allows you to easily upload into the program as well as track as it goes through.

Cons

When you share a link, you need to pay attention to when it expires, as sometimes it can expire relatively quickly. Additionally, those who receive the files can have difficulty downloading if not set up with the proper plugins on their computer.

Ryan C.
Industry: Information Technology & Services

Hightail for sending large files securely

Used Other for 1+ year
Reviewed on 2019-05-17

Pros

I have used Hightail over the years. Formerly known as yousendit. Hightail allows you to upload files and send them securely. The features are similar to any service that sends files for you. You can upload 100 MB at a time up to 2 GB for free. Plans start after that for a paid account. The GUI is nice and streamlined and a collaborative are is a nice touch for teamwork.

Cons

There are other options out there that seem to be more integrated, but for sending a file for free it is a nice option.

Niven H.
Industry: Entertainment
Company size: Self Employed

Great for sharing big files

Reviewed on 2019-07-08

Being a Film and TV editor, it beats all the competition with the ability to host very large quicktimes. I love it.

Pros

I love the Hightail Spaces, it makes sharing a group of files much more user friendly for clients.

Cons

I wish we could choose the thumbnail image for quicktimes. It's a shame it's just automatically chosen for us.

Betska K.
Industry: Management Consulting

Hightail Delivers

Reviewed on 2019-07-08

I like Hightail because it is very simple to use. And it is fast. I rarely encounter challenges with the exception of the iPhone issue.

Pros

What I like the most is the simplicity of the software and that I can use it from my phone.

Cons

Sometimes when I am trying to send videos from my iPhone, Hightail appears to be stuck. Sometimes I need to try 2-3 times.