Hightail

Share Files & Collaborate on Creative Projects with Hightail

4.4 /5 (278 reviews) Write a Review!

Wyatt E.
  • Industry: Publishing

• Customer Support Software

Great for large files and folders

Reviewed on 2020-07-16

At a great price, you can store a TON of files, very useful for anyone who is constantly sending, receiving, and storing all types of files.

Pros

Hightail makes it easy for me to share large files and folders with people inside and outside my company. You can create "spaces" where all types of files can be stores, and links to this space can be shared with anyone.

Cons

Safari does not support folder uploads, but opening chrome and uploading folders to spaces that way made it simple. This was my only hangup with the service.

Narrowing of Features and Declining Value

Reviewed on 2017-08-03

Pros

You can set up a linked folder on your machine that syncs with Hightail. Back in the day (prior to August, 2017) this formed an ideal platform for disseminating content as you could grab download links and include them in your own communications.

Cons

Hightail has recently adopted a typical self-focused millennial mindset of tunnel-visioned genius: focusing on an increasingly narrow range of cool stuff and killing off highly practical features without pausing to think about the spectrum of their users. If the HT people have a favorite way of working, they think that everyone works just like they do. As of the most recent downgrade, it is no longer possible to copy download links for files. If you need to send a business email with multiple download links and other content, you're now out of luck, as the only option is to use Hightail's interface to send an email with one (concealed) link.
My needs include the ability to send multiple download links to my dealers and prospective dealers - everything from canned social media content to a range of literature and photos. If, for example, a dealer is setting up a website and needs logos, product shots and text files, I can no longer just send out an email with the links to the files on Hightail.
Overnight they have unthinkingly destroyed my once routine means of distributing a huge amount of content to our dealers and prospects across the U.S. In a single, narrow-mined stroke, the value of Hightail to my company has vanished overnight.
This was a totally brainless move. I suggest that people look for a better solution.

David O.
  • Industry: Printing

Good option for sharing large files

Reviewed on 2020-02-11

HighTail allows me to send large files efficiently to clients or suppliers. Since I deal with artwork design and production each and every day I really need an safe, fast and effective way to share files whether they be large proofs or final files for print/web production. HighTail generally suits my needs.

Pros

I like that I can share large files with my clients on a piece of software that lives on my computer rather than using an online service where I upload the file via a web browser. I feel it is a more secure process when using an app as opposed to using a service such as WeTransfer. I consider the free version to be a great tool that is less troublesome than dropbox.

Cons

While I consider the free version to be a great tool, I do believe that the paid version is a bit on the expensive side for my level of use. I consistently use HighTail, but not enough to justify a monthly subscription. If I run into limits on what I can upload for free, I will then move to another free alternative that has less restritive file size limits such as WeTransfer.

• Used Other for 1-5 months

Great For Sharing Lots of Photos

Reviewed on 2019-11-05

Overall, easy to use, easy to share, and user friendly.

Pros

It was pretty easy to get started and you get a lot of features even with a free account. We used this to share photos from a large event. We could share the link with others and they didn't need an account to access or download.

Cons

The organization is a little weird, I'm still not entirely sure what all the features are on this site.

Tapan J.
  • Company size: 1,001-5,000 Employees

HighTail - Easiest way to share large files

Reviewed on 2018-01-31

Pros

I love that there is no restraint on storage capacity with Hightail. I can chose file of any size and share it will any number of recipients keeping a tab on who is doing what with my file. It also allows me to share a file with someone for a specific period of time. It also offer plugins so that it can be integrated within your email service so that one can share large files directly from within an email. Another feature which sets it apart from other cloud storage providers is that it also offers digital signature capability and one can read and sign the shared documents from within Hightail. So documents never leave Hightail servers and remain secure.

Cons

Hightail keeps the individual files encrypted all the time through it's sophisticated encryption technology but it doesn't allow me to generate my own encryption keys which would have made me feel more in control over my data. Customer support is also very delayed and I have faced multiple instances when the service was down.

Marianne L.
  • Industry: Design

• Customer Support Software

Hightail - a business tool I can't live without.

Reviewed on 2019-07-08

I think I said this above having all my work in one place is huge for me. I can be tracking 2,3,4,...7 jobs at a time so I need a solution that helps me to keep it all straight and streamline the process. I get this with Hightail. Add in the fact that I can customize each space and there is the opportunity for collaboration right there in the space that's a time saver that I can't say enough about. When approvals need to happen asap this allows me to get the content there as quickly as possible and approved so we can move ahead. Hightail is one of those business tools I can't live without.

Pros

I love the ease of use for me. I'm a freelance Creative Director so it lets me customize content for my different clients per space while keeping in all in one accessible location for me. This helps me to streamline my process so it allows me to jump from job to job effortlessly. Also this allows me to share large files for immediate response and has the capabilities for there to be dialogue right there on the site again keeping all the content bundled in one easily accessible place.

Cons

I have had issues with clients not understanding what they are supposed to do with the invite or link. Also I've heard they are asked to download the software if this is their first visit and from one person I was told he ended up with a reoccurring charge after viewing the link. As I'm not personally encountering these issues but I've also been using Hightail for years I'm concerned about this client side of the equation. I'm mostly hearing this from non-tech savvy clients but they are clients that need to be managed is there a way to make this even simpler for them?

Sami K.
  • Industry: Architecture & Planning

Customer since 2008

Reviewed on 2019-01-30

I have been using this tool for 10 years, and have been an early subscriber since the days of yousendit
It has changed branding a couple of times but it got better overtime.
It is not the only cloud service I use, as I have Dropbox, Skydrive, Box and iCloud accounts.
However, the main reason I stick with Hightail is the ability to control access to the files very easily and selectively.
In other words, the most critical tool for me is the Express App. Then comes the folder sync, and lastly comes hightail spaces.
I know hightail is focusing on boosting hightail spaces and stopped improvements to folders, express and desktop sync, but it would be a mistake to think Hightail Spaces is the reason to stick with this app.
As for pricing, I have been grandfathered in an old account on auto renew, so I do not think I would buy Hightail st the current pricing given the competition with the other cloud apps and services.

Pros

Unlimited Storage
25 GB file transfer
Set expiry date.
Sync folders to desktop
Express app
Hightail Spaces
Perfect tool for desktop collaboration.

Cons

Not intuitive on mobile devices.
The tracking app on iPhone and iPad cannot be used to forward files sent earlier from Tracker app, where it used to be possible to do so in yousendit app (the prior brand/software) but hightail rewrote the API and disabled that functionality.
While perfect on desktop, on mobile browsers the site does not format correctly within the window and text stays outside viewing area.

Michael M.
  • Industry: Entertainment

SO Much Easier than Dropbox

Reviewed on 2019-07-08

I send and receive audio files all the time and there is never a problem.

Pros

Its ease of use. Whether sending or receiving audio files there's never a problem.

Cons

Well, it would be nice if it were free....

Craig B.

Couldn't work globally without Hightail

Reviewed on 2019-07-09

I produce research-based thought leadership and content (NOT fake news...but content based on actual data from surveys or interviews with experts of groups of experts). Hightail provides an easy mechanism for me to store, distribute, share and catalog my material at all stages of the production journey. I can also get hold of files instantly in a client meeting, or at an aiport or hotel whilst travelling. I find it extremely helpful in maintaining productivity

Pros

Hightail makes it very easy for me to share and send very large files containing high quality graphics, video clips and text to my clients and associates around the world...and getting feedback and updates back quickly as well.

Cons

There are a lot of features and functions I haven't explored yet - so it's too early to criticise

Macylyna N.
  • Industry: Higher Education Software

My Review on Hightail

Reviewed on 2019-04-30

This software has allowed us to securely send large emails.It is easy to use and has a nice user friendly interface.

Pros

One thing that excites me the most about hightail is the security feature it has. With the tool one can protect the file from unwanted third party by having document password that are only accessible by the intended recipient. With the tool one is also able to track email from who, where and when the email was downloaded.
Another thing that excites me is the ability to share large files. This is one of the key thing that made us purchase this tool. With it you are able to compress large document and send them easily. The other parties in the receiving end are also able to download it easily and fast.

Cons

I hate that the links shared expires very quickly.
The support team is also not interactive.

• Customer Support Software

Hightail has botched Spaces rollout and customer support is weak

Reviewed on 2017-10-23

Cons

From my latest support ticket with Hightail:

I am sad to report that uninstalling and reinstalling Hightail did not change the circumstances. I was not able to find the Hightail Desktop App for download. All I found was Hightail Express. If that is not the correct file, please tell me when I can find the link to download the app Hightail is recommending.

My desktop Hightail folders are still incomplete and missing files.

In addition, when I try to download multiple items from Hightail, I usually get one of two errors:
1. The download aborts with the following error code: {"code":500,"message":"There was an error processing your request. It has been logged (ID db8396e73d0bacc3)."}
2. The download completes and reports that nn files have been downloaded, but when I extract the zip file, only 1 or 2 files appear, not the full set of files selected for download.

All the other problems remain. Hightail continues to make dozens of copies of individual files. Deleting duplicates on both Hightail and the desktop does not change this behavior.

This is very frustrating, and it is keeping me from working efficiently. It is consuming my high-speed bandwidth allocation from my ISP, which then reduces my internet access from 4G to 3G speeds, further slowing down my work.

The lack of phone support, the lack of a remote session to review the state of my machine, and the ineffectiveness of Hightail’s responses to date are quite disappointing. At this time I am getting little to no value from Hightail.

Rachel S.
  • Industry: Alternative Medicine

Hightail has been supporting my business for years

Reviewed on 2019-07-08

It solves the problem of sending large audio files to clients, I love it. So simple and easy and no storage my end.

Pros

I love that I can send client audio files ( Readings and recordings of Private Consults) effortlessly via Hightail. It sends me a link that I can send on to clients and use for group recordings multiple times.
I love it is so fast and that there is no expiry date.

Cons

It's getting easier for clients to figure out how to download it,
some are a bit wary of the technology and I have to repeatedly tell people how to get their file, it maybe could do with clearer instructions for the receiver to download or listen.

Sophia S.
  • Industry: Management Consulting

Safe and Secure

Same Benefits as above, I love love love Hightail

Pros

I love this software because of its ease of use and I can send confidential documents without having to worry about safety. Also, the system itself is Fast and it will store my documents without expiring.
I can also send to clients and other personnel in my office who will then be able to mark up documents and leave comments. It is my Favorite Tool!!!

Cons

I honestly have no negative remarks to make:)

Colleen M.

Reviewed on 2019-01-31

Hightail has always responded quickly when a problem arises which isn't very often.

Pros

This software is easy to use and affordable. Most people can access the files we send through Hightail without a problem.

Cons

I don't like the black background with very light grey writing on the page that records what we have sent out. It makes it difficult when researching for a particular order.

Ellen S.
  • Industry: Media Production

Too Often Crashes

Reviewed on 2019-07-12

I send audio files to the radio station where I am programming director. I sometimes send audio files to people who request them.

Pros

Easy to use in terms of general process.

Cons

It very frequently starts saving an audio file and then stalls. After a stall happens, you have to start over if it is ever going to send. Lately it has wobbled like crazy when it is sending. That is visually alarming.

Vivian R.
  • Industry: Design

Hightail

Reviewed on 2019-07-08

A great platform to send large files and give access to clients and other team members.

Pros

This product is very user friendly. Easy to access stored data and reference what has been processed for future reference.

Cons

Expired links are not available for reference to the owner / sender causing me to keep things on the active list longer than I would like the client to have access.

Carl G.
  • Industry: Entertainment

HIghtail

Reviewed on 2019-07-08

I send out radio shows and commercials to stations all over the country and very pleased with the speed they get to my clients.

Pros

Easy to use for someone like me who is not great on a computer.

Cons

When changes are made and not notified about it. Once I figure it out everything is ok.

Ross V.

Great for Photographers

Reviewed on 2019-01-29

ive been a loyal user for years. Much better than Dropbox!

Pros

My 2GB of file transfer is just about right for me 95% of the time, when it isn't sufficient i just have to break my transmissions into 2 parts, not a big deal. & the fact that my links never expire is handy for my clients.

Cons

nothing to report on my end. Everything is ok & no cons...

Dawn H.

Until today it was all 10s

Reviewed on 2019-01-29

until today it phenomenal. But now that it's not working and I can't reach anyone I'm really frustrated

Pros

That it worked and I could use it and I trusted the program.

Cons

That today it quit working and I can't get help by phone or email. Only this feedback link. I can't even get anyone to take my money.

Cindy B.
  • Industry: Printing

Happy User

Reviewed on 2019-07-08

I have been using Hightail for years and will continue to use their service.

Pros

It is easy to use. I like that I receive notifications on sending files and when the files are downloaded. I also like that I have a link to send to clients that they can also send me large files.

Cons

The one print broker I work with has a problem saving files fro mere to his phone. He needs me to use Drop Box, I believe it is because he does not have the APP on his phone.

Emma D.

Hightail is accessible

Reviewed on 2019-07-09

Great. It is perfect for what I need it for.

Pros

I love that I can upload high resolution images easily, and share them with others privately using a link and access code.

Cons

It takes a while to flick through images one by one. I tell people to download a whole album and then browse them rather than do it on hightail, then delete what they don't want.

Marissa M.
  • Industry: Architecture & Planning

P+A review

Reviewed on 2019-07-08

Great for our small office!

Pros

Quick and simple, once you know what to do it's easy to follow.

Cons

Can sometimes be confusing (not user friendly) to older people.

Caro J.

Folders very well

Reviewed on 2019-07-09

Pros

Folders. It works very well, it's very useful for me.

Cons

Somtimes the large photos take a lot of time to upload and i have to do it several times .

Jamie M.
  • Industry: Graphic Design Software
  • Used Other for 2+ years

• Customer Support Software

A secure and easy to use transfer service

Reviewed on 2021-03-03

Hightail file transfer services has many many times solved my problem of getting large files to a client

Pros

I’ve used hightail off and on for over a decade. It’s an extremely easy to use file transfer platform. For most people the free account will function for their purposes, and the rates for a higher level of storage are reasonable.

Cons

I don’t think their name and connections in the business world are as prolific. People know of it but I’m not really sure Howell integrated it is with other software sweets like for example one drive or Google Drive.

Jan K.
  • Industry: Telecommunications

• Customer Support Software

Transfer of raw footage and edited videos globally.

Reviewed on 2020-03-12

As a cameraman/producer in Israel I have used Hightail for years as a vital tool for sending video clips and edited programs to customers in America and around the world. Hightail is dependable, accessible, and easy to use not only from Israel, but from places like Eastern Syria, and Iraqi Kurdistan. Hightail provides a great service.

Pros

As a cameraman/producer, sending video clips is essential to my work. Hightail has been a vital tool.

Cons

Sometimes sending larger files of over 2.5 GB can stall, and could need several tries to successfully send.