1,535 reviews

1,535 reviews
Cody A.

Buildertrend Review

Reviewed on 2021-02-09

Buildertrend has made the company I work for much more efficient and organized. I don't know how we operated before Buildertrend.

Pros

This platform brings loads of organization with the features it offers. This is a great way to help keep the contractor, sub-contractors, employees, and homeowner on the same page. This app leads us to use less paper.

Cons

Buildertrend offers a massive amount of features and it can be very complicated to learn about those features. Then once someone learns how to use the features it is difficult to pass that knowledge onto other people or new employees.

Diana N.

• Customer Support Software

Easy to use and not just for building homes

Reviewed on 2019-09-19

I would recommend this to other companies. My friend is using it perfectly for her real estate sales and marketing company. They're not even building but I'm finding that this platform is flexible and adaptable like that.

Pros

My favourite bit about this software is that I can add as many users as I like and not incur extra charges like we do for other software. At one point we had over 40 users. It's extremely helpful to us to have this feature because as a small business, we want to grow and it's difficult to do that if we can't include all the people we need in a system due to cost.

Cons

We had issues with the cost codes. There were issues that could only be dealt with through the backend. I wish we had the ability to fix things like that ourselves including uploading a csv into the system.

Response from Buildertrend

Diana, thank you so much for your review! It's awesome to hear the way you are using it for your business, along with your friend in her business too!

Bronson H.

BuilderTrend - Simming Pool Remodeling Company

Reviewed on 2020-02-10

We have had a great experience overall. The software works great, there is little to no downtime, and the customer service team has always been prompt and nice.

Pros

It is cloud based, so you can access it from any computer or phone. The software is semi-customizable, which has allowed us to label and schedule things how we need them. We absolutely love the scheduling portion and the ability to upload daily logs/pictures from the job site for every job. There are a ton of other features that are really useful, such as the owner payment, job costing, and change order sections. Your overall experience will depend on how well you set up the program initially. If you set it up right, it is a great tool.

Cons

While the program is semi-customizable, it is not completely customizable. There is not much they can do to help if you want a feature more customized other than submit a ticket and hope other people are complaining about the same thing. But, that is to be expected with any mass sold cloud based software.

Jeremy B.

Thoughts on BuilderTrend from a Remodeling company perspective

Reviewed on 2020-02-05

Solved the time that it took to email out the schedule to all trades and team now it flows alot better and I answer the phone alot less. Since most of the answers trades and the team are looking for are on BT they can find most of what they need there as long as we input the info they have what they need.
BuilderTrend gives me more time and freedom to do what owners of a business should be doing. It was one of the best choices I have made to start using it.

Pros

The scheduling feature is what we use most. Its nice to have all the info to our trades and managers so they are fully aware of the project, can see pictures, and have a full scope of work prior to start date. We use the estimating part of the software as well I do wish the contract section had more detail in it which I think it could if we took some extra time to develop that.

Cons

Very happy now I can have as many job starts as I would like instead of being limited. Little unhappy that I can have only 3 users and have to pay for more than 3. As the owner who does estimates I want access as a user. I also have a designer who does estimates and she needs access. I also have 2 project managers/carpenters that need access to it as well so I will be looking at having to pay for additional users on top of the price increase I have already incurred but making it unlimited job starts.

Haven't fully used BT to its full potential but we will at some point. The software is top notch I don't have really any complaints that I can think of at this time.

Greg M.

Custom Homes experience with Buildertrend

Reviewed on 2020-02-04

Pros

Scheduling, Logging, Time clocks, to do's ETC are very easy to use and extremely handy/ useful for use as a construction company for various reasons such as keeping a constant flow of action happening on our building sites and in theory there should be no gaps of time on the building site where nobody is working or unable to work, we believe keeping a consistent flow of action on a building site is possible through buildertrend and with nobody having to go out to site to check whats happening on site 90% of the time

Cons

sub contractors don't generally enjoy singing into our computer system every time they want paid or to confirm theyre gonna take action on a job ETC,
this isnt to blame on buildertrend its just we struggle to get our sub contractors to cooperate using our online services,

Dennis W.

Builder trend User

Reviewed on 2020-02-04

Its been really good and really helpful in professionalising what we do more and more which is really important to our company ethos.

Pros

The software is so clever it is almost too clever. There is so much covered for the construction projects that we don't actually use everything (yet). We have integrated a lot into our day to day working practices and we love instant access to vast quantities of information in one place. It helps track and record so much which is really important. One of the biggest gains for us is that we track changes better and upgrades more and more meaning we are getting paid for what we are doing and we are more accountable but so are our customers and their changing demands. This also helps avoid disputes as often its all in writing clear and concise. we have adapted a lot to our own taste and needs which i another great benefit of the software

Cons

Some of the accounting package link-up can be frustrating and we lost a function recently which was not particularly helpful for us and was driven by other contractors needs who use the software. Generally, it is adaptable and you can feedback these types of things but we felt like bigger contractors have more clout and we are also not in the USA so feel a little isolated and translation sometimes a small issue. There is also a lot of functions and some we have not quite worked out if they fit or even how they fit but again this may be translation and what we do use is more than enough. Training across contractors is also quite a mission and still ongoing but we keep going and it pays off.

Andrew B.

Robust program-needs refined

Reviewed on 2019-07-02

The schedule keeps jobs on track. The PO process keeps costs in check. The time card keeps man hours job costed.

Pros

It provides a solution for managing a construction company

Cons

although the program performs many tasks, and even more than we need, it is glitchy and does not provide a smooth experience. When we click on windows to update budgets for instance, the windows flash and reload and resize multiple times. I have tried different browsers and different devices. This is not a user problem, but a problem with the way the data is served up. To perform some routine tasks, there is too many clicks required to get where you need to go. Too many windows and drilling down to get a number changed etc.
Too many places for messages to be hiding. Customers send a message and think we have it, but we have at least three places to check to find the message. Sometimes, messages that come to email cannot be replied to. Very frustrating.
BTW: We used Co construct for a while and liked the flow of the program much better. It ran smoother and was much quicker to get what we needed. It kept the spec sheet in front of the customer and kept good organization of communication. We switched to BT because of job costing and the time card feature, which we now understand are available with CC.
Another huge grind, the budget sheet does not do a good job of showing the running cost on the job and whether we are over or under our budget (variance). Several reports can be created, but none of them do that. We have to export to excel and manipulate it ourselves. Seems like this should be a basic function. CC does this well also. Just sayin' :)

Bridget R.

• Customer Support Software

Buildertrend changed how we do business.

Reviewed on 2019-06-13

This program is integral to our operations, and I am looking forward to eventually using all of the functions it is capable of. I am still learning!

Pros

Using Buildertrend replaced an entire full time position, at least. It allows the information from the Sales to Project Management to Accounting to be all in one spot and easy to use. The project records are complete from lead opportunity stage to completion- which is incredibly valuable.
Setting up the software took time and effort, but it was mostly transitioning that took the most effort. But every time I am not sure what to do I just call the Customer Support and my problems are solved! It is an incredible service.
We have spent the last year and a half streamlining our business to remain competitive in a changing market- and Buildertrend has allowed us to reach the next level of business.

Cons

There are some functions that could work better for us (ie: limited things you can do with a project while in lead opportunity status etc) but there are constant updates and changes being made to the system. I am confident that there will continually be developments to suit our needs better.
Another challenge was getting all of our vendors on board to accept PO's from the program etc. Also- the fact that the emails come from buildertrend.com instead of my own email address is confusing for some of our clients and vendors. Some clients have so much difficulty with their Owner portal that we have to accept sign offs outside of the system- which I hope to change.

Response from Buildertrend

Thank you for your 5-star review and honest feedback, Bridget! We love to hear that you are utilizing our unlimited customer support - they're always there for you and your team. I've passed the issues you're having onto my team and I hope we can get those fixed for you soon!

Dan D.

• Customer Support Software

Buildertrend functionality and compatibility with Residential Renovation Company

Reviewed on 2019-06-13

Buildertrend has proven to be exactly what we were looking for to track daily functions such as Daily logs, change orders, purchase orders etc. The real time inputting of mobile devices and the function of the mobile app are very thorough and invaluable. The new internal user permissions are a bit more difficult to individualize. Edits affect all users within each label so the only way is to create a new title to edit a single user.

Pros

A great construction management tool. Offers flexibility in formatting of different components within the program. Leads are easily tracked with notifications, summary page is very thorough and useful, job info, templates, scheduling, daily logs, To-Do's, Change Orders, time clock c/w geo-fencing, docs & photos, surveys, estimates, bills & PO's, Budget and owner invoices all flow well and again are customizable to fit individual company needs. Owner view is a great option and allows for owner participation and information flow.

Cons

No tax module is addressed within the system. This adds a lot of steps and confusion to make sure taxes are added independently in QuickBooks Online (QB). It also confuses the customer on their Buildertrend site. We send all invoices out of QB for contract invoices and change order invoices. A big negative. A great management tool but weak on the interface with QB.

Response from Buildertrend

Dan - thank you for your review and feedback! I've passed your feedback along to our Product team.

Kathy Z.

BuilderTREND Review

Reviewed on 2019-06-20

We are very impressed with Buildertrend. They are always coming up with new ideas. They are very progressive and very responsive to any programming changes. We have tried similar products in the past but nothing compares to Buildertrend. We would highly recommend this software. It is an important tool in the daily operation of our company.

Pros

I like that it is one platform for our staff, our clients and our subtrades. I like the ease of the change order approval and decline, and the change orders are interactive with the appropriate vendors and subtrades. The schedules are so helpful to keep everyone apprised of the sequence of events. We use the daily logs to record our field visits and items that need to be actioned from those meetings. The To-Do tab keeps everyone on task and on time. We also enjoy the lead opportunity to make sure we are following up with all our potential clients.

Cons

The inability to hide non pertinent information from the client view. We like to keep things as simple as possible for clients, so they are not confused. We would like the ability to hide columns that the client is not required to action. e.g. selection, change orders.

Response from Buildertrend

Kathy, thank you so much for your kind words and your 5-star review! We truly appreciate it. I've also passed your feedback along to our Product team! Thanks again.

Justin R.

• Customer Support Software

A great software for custom builders, with room for improvements

Reviewed on 2020-02-16

Overall, Buildertrend has been a great addition to our company and we look forward to continuing to use it. We hope new features are continually added.

Pros

The daily logs feature is very helpful as a place to easily log events, weather, photos, docs, etc. that may occur at a job site on a particular day. The tagging feature makes this even better when you are trying to look at any days that had inspections on them. The owner invoices and job price summary features are very beneficial to our clients that are looking to quickly figure out how much they have spent and what is remaining.

Cons

The estimating feature leaves a lot to be desired. Compared to what we came from, Buildertrend feels like a step back. The software cannot handle a large number of line items and struggles to keep up. We were told to have fewer line items in order to fix this.

Response from Buildertrend

Justin, thank you so much for your honest review and feedback! I will pass your feedback about our Estimating feature on to our Product team. Thanks again!

Danny J.

Life changing

Reviewed on 2020-02-17

Buildertrend gave me my life back. As the owner it simplified so many areas of the company that we were struggling with. It has also put the office side, production side, designer side, homeowner side and sub side all on the same page.

We are doing work more efficiently and more profitably due in a large part to the program. Truly life changing for me personally. My stress level has gone down by a margin I didn't think possible.

Pros

Bringing so many different aspects of the company to one location (billing, plans, selections, change orders, scheduling, bidding). This took the place of several cobbled together apps.

Cons

It was a bit overwhelming at first. Even with phone support, the scope of the program is hard to get started with. Once my office manager and I went to BTU we were able to integrate in our daily operations.

Response from Buildertrend

Danny, thank you for your 5-star review and kind words! So happy that our software could help you get your life back.

Philip W.

• Customer Support Software

Great value and improved performance

Reviewed on 2019-06-13

We replaced multiple systems with Buildertrend which has allowed us to grow significantly as an organization. Although we have had to adapt some of the features to our purposes, overall Buildertrend has been an easy transition and has improved our efficiency over all. The team has been great to work with and have suggested many improvements to help us get the most out of the system. We regularly recommend it to other Habitat for Humanity organizations who are looking for one system that integrates family recruitment, construction management and job costing/financial management.

Pros

Multiple features that have replaced many separate pieces of software
Web based so can be used anywhere
Pricing plans are great for our growth amount

Cons

Not as customizable as we preferred but was worth it for the price
Lacks safety management integration

Response from Buildertrend

Philip - thank you so much for your review and kind words! We love the work Habitat for Humanity is doing and we're happy to play a part in what you do for the MidOhio area.

Jack G.

Welcome into the 21st Century

Reviewed on 2020-02-17

9/10, I haven't had any major problems with the software. Theres not too many glitches, and like I said prior if you put the effort into it, it is 100% worth it. No question. Not only that but you have a great support team to back you up, whether you're a techy or not they can really shed some light.

Pros

Phenomenal Software, it should replace everything that a construction company uses. I get that some dont like moving forward to tech, but once you actually put the work into BT to use it, it makes everything so much faster and coordination is top-notch. The fact we can give homeowners access to see whats going on construction wise saves us time and stress. We generally dont need to communicate basic things to them, they can see it for themselves!

Cons

The selections software is still a little bit limited, takes hours of work. Some sort of master template to feed everything would be amazing if it could be implemented in the future. Also the loading glitch, and how I have to "click X" to search another property. Can make going through several properties fast to a chore since it has to refresh so many times.

Response from Buildertrend

Jack, thank you so much for your review and feedback! We appreciate you taking the time to do this. And I'll be sure to pass your feedback along to our Product team.

Kayley S.

• Customer Support Software

Work in progress, but it's a great tool

Reviewed on 2019-06-13

Customer Service, in our experience, is outstanding. This software is growing with us and they do seem to listen and learn from our feedback.

Pros

It was an easy transition from our old software. It's user-friendly, for the most part. It has many, many features and everyone seemed to have an easy time learning their part.

Cons

There are still a lot of functionality issues. Adding taxes to sold jobs was a one-trick pony. In Washington, each city has it's own sales tax rate and there is no way to account for that. They are working on this functionality, but it has cost our company money.

There is also no easy way for me to send a confirmation to a customer for a scheduled on-site estimate. I have to copy and paste into email to send them a confirmation. Our old software did this seamlessly and it's a function I miss. I don't know if they are working on fixing this, but I've been told it's "being looked into".

Jim B.

• Customer Support Software

Great product with many easy-to-implement quick wins

Reviewed on 2019-06-20

Problems 1.) Having access to prints while in the field (either had to carry copies, or make trip back to the office); 2.) Keeping communications between field sups and subs and being able to share among sups and with office staff to track repairs/corrections subs were assigned; 3.) Managing and being able to access the vast amounts of paper and photos that were being kept in paper records. All of these were addressed within the first 30 - 60 days of going live.

Pros

Internal staff, field supervisors and subcontractors all have access to prints, order info and option selections no matter where they are! Trips to the main office no longer necessary to answer many questions from the field. Also, have the ability to load historical jobs for reference and warranty work. Crews and supervisors can communicate issues found and addressed through sharing pictures and comments which can be seen by all supervisors and office staff, rather than just one-off via a text message and picture sent to one person.

Cons

There is no posted list of planned features to be released and no means for tracking feature requests. Options for filtering jobs is very limited and does not allow for using custom fields. Not a "con," but a needed feature - video trainings for subcontractors in Spanish. It would be Very helpful to refer subs to these as a supplement to the orientation and training we provide as we provide access to crews.

Jessica M.

Construction Company Organization and Scheduling Must

Reviewed on 2019-06-13

Our business sends jobs out for bid, the subcontractors see those right away and submit bids with the software. Our business schedules all jobs and subcontractors see the schedule and know when to work without a phone call. We get told we are one of the best companies because we stick to a schedule. I believe it is because of Buildertrend. Production in construction has to be highly organized and Buildertrend helps us keep customer jobs and their selections up to date for subcontractors and home owners to view.

Pros

Buildertrend is very easy to use and operate. The ability to upload all sizes and quality of files in a flash is wonderful, as well as download files to my PC. I do that the most so that is what I like the best.

Cons

The lease thing I like...If I had to choose something: When scrolling through our job names on the left folder pane, in order to select a name after the letter "M" as an example, I have to check "see all 100 jobs or more?" every time I select a new job or have to go back to select a job name.

Response from Buildertrend

Jessica, thank you for your 5-star review! We love to hear how well our software is working for the Timbered Ridge team.

Lindsay G.

Buildertrend Review

Reviewed on 2019-06-13

I have enjoyed using Buildertrend and am learning new features all the time which only helps to improve the experience.
The best part about Buildertrend is the homeowner involvement. They can see their job happening, ask questions, see pictures, follow the schedules, approve and decline details. This has been a great communication tool which keeps everyone in the loop.

Pros

I like most about Buildertrend the Jobs Menu/ categorization features. By having the capability for each message, selection, change order etc. to be allocated to one specific place this organizes the information.

Cons

Something that is frustrating on Buildertrend is when uploading a new Selection I cannot save this information without releasing it. There is also only one time for each new selection that the Homeowner can be notified. This would be better if set up more like the Change Order system, information can be uploaded and saved to be released later.
It would be nice if the system were available in Spanish and other languages for a lot of the subcontractors we work with and would like to utilize the system.

Response from Buildertrend

Lindsay, thank you for the feedback and review. We're glad to hear you're enjoying using our program, and we've passed your suggestions along to our Product team!

Lyndsee H.

Buildertrend is our Bible

Reviewed on 2019-06-13

I love how much Buildertrend is evolving. It is amazing to give our feedback to the Buildertrend staff and see them change things that we've asked for. I really feel like Buildertrend values their customers and end users. The customer support staff is always willing to help us.

Pros

I love that this software is our bible for everything. We try to integrate as much as possible within Buildertrend so that there isn't any guessing for subcontractors, homeowners, and internal users. I also love how it allows the homeowner to track their build process and see all their selections.

Cons

I wish this software had the option for internal calendars. It has just about everything else but we do need to have 3rd party applications to fill the gaps. We depend on Google Calendars for internal dates and things that don't apply to specific houses but that also leaves an opportunity for error. It would be nice to have a one stop application.

Response from Buildertrend

Thank you so much for your review and kind words, Lyndsee! We truly appreciate it. As for your feedback about internal calendars, I've passed it on to our Product team!

Jake L.

• Customer Support Software

Fantastic Customer service and quality program

Reviewed on 2019-06-21

We are avoiding a lot of double handling and repetitive tasks. Such as todo lists! these are automated in our timelines now so that our trades are sent a copy of the to-do list required for the Quality assurance inspections on each trade. Once all the items are complete they can click it and assign the person who checked these items. Then when our supervisors go through there are significantly less minor defects and an overall better quality finish for the clients and the trades involved

Pros

Scheduling is the main reason we decided to go with this software in the first place. But we have had several meetings with the team at buildertrend about implementing more and more of the available options within buildertrend to make our day to day simpler and the gain a better result on site.

Cons

The cost is a little on the high side as they determine a job start to even program in a schedule and budget for a client (even should that job not go ahead) I've since been informed that should I remove the jobs I could possibly get a refund on that particular job start. As we are a renovations specialist we do multiple jobs which add to many job starts for smaller amounts and shorter periods of time. As a new home builder or other larger scale jobs, this is certainly a beneficial program to be using

Andy G.

The Salesforce of Construction Programs

Reviewed on 2020-02-04

The service has been A+++. I've never had better service with any product - and I mean any product. It helped that my first service rep was as good as it gets. She knew the product cold, she cared about helping me, she was patient beyond reason, and was friendly with a great sense of humor. This made it fun to learn the program.

Pros

The BT team continues to improve this product weekly, both in terms of usability and features.

Cons

Construction is a very complicated business. Unfortunately, any good software has to incorporate a lot of that complexity. This means you have to put a serious effort into learning the ins and outs of the program. But if you do, you will reap some excellent rewards.

Leah T.

CWHD

Reviewed on 2020-02-10

The business problems we are solving involve less time verifying invoices as they come in. Since we had a prior Purchase Order issued to the trade we can just confirm the work is complete and mark ready to pay. It saves time verifying contract amounts and prior payments made. It also saves from doing double entry of entering the invoice a second time into Qbooks because it will sync and enter from the "ready for payment" feature. We have not given our clients (owners) access yet; but soon we would like to implement that and allow them to see progress photos etc.

Pros

We like it's ease of use for all in our organization.

Cons

We dislike that inactive cost codes still show up for users to select rather than a delete function and get rid of them altogether. We also dislike that we can't do mass payments by checkbox for the WePay function and that you can't select multiple PO's to pay at the same time and come out of the same WePay check. I also stopped using WePay because I have multiple steps to then have it talk to QuickBooks whereas if I cut live checks from QBooks it communicates nicely back to BT to mark the PO's paid in full...

Jake S.

Jake's Review

Reviewed on 2020-02-04

Helps me stay organized so I can track down paperwork.

Pros

I really like the scheduling, leads section and change orders. I think the messaging is awesome and always keeps me organized

Cons

I dont like how you cant change the name of docments in the leads section. I also dont like how you can adjust the days of the week in a job without messing up the schedule days

Philip W.

• Customer Support Software

Very good value for the price

Reviewed on 2021-02-04

Overall we are very happy with the software and are continually looking for ways to use more features to improve our processes.

Pros

CRM is excellent. Project scheduling is working well but we don't use all the features. Estimating and budget management is fairly easy to use. Like the features for high level management of projects but not for site level and day to day management.

Cons

There isn't as much flexibility in using the software how we would like for our workflows. You are pretty locked into doing things the way the system is set up. Also, some of the features with templating don't carry over into new jobs when imported. It makes using templates sometimes a waste of time and not as beneficial as they can be. Project management for site supers is less effective and lacks some of the features needed for day to day management.

Buildertrend is great!

Reviewed on 2019-06-20

Overall, quite a positive experience. Most of my complaints have to do with the software design, as opposed to day to day interaction. We almost never have trouble with the day to day usage.

Pros

The scheduling feature is great, loves that it works and talks to quickbooks. The customer portal is great, and it is nice that our clients can e-pay. Selections function is user friendly. Helpful and friendly customer support.

Cons

I really wish we could copy and change time clock entries! Some of our clients have trouble e-paying, which customer support has not been able to help us with. I also don't like the pay more as you have more projects setup - it kinda punishes the GC the longer they are a loyal customer of yours. I would be nice if we could turn off the feature that bills change orders separately (we lump them in to our payment schedule).