CakeHR Reviews

4.5/5 (238 reviews)
Stefan W.

Great

Reviewed on 8/4/2017

Pros

For our company, it greatly simplifies the managing the holiday entitlement of our employees. Our employees appreciate the real-time view of their day-off and holiday balance.

Cons

- Day Offs:
In our company the day offs are flexible. Employees are supposed to take 2 day-offs per week, but sometimes these day-offs are shifted to the next week. (It's always within the same month though.)

It would be great to have some way to be alerted/monitor if someone requests more day-offs than they are entitled to. Right now I have to count the day off requests to make sure it's within their day-off limit. (Right now a staff could request more day-offs that they are entitled to.)

Having this said, I don't want it to be shown as a yearly quota, same holidays and public holidays, as these days can be taken anytime, while day-offs are not of that nature. However, a monthly quota would be fine.

- Time Tracking:
What is definitely missing is time tracking (for which we use HubStaff now) and overtime/undertime tracking. Our employees track their working time, and have a floating balance of time. Cake would be the complete and perfect HR solution if there was everything at a glance - the balance of Holiday, Public Holiday, Sick Days, Day-Offs and Over/Undertime.

Ideally, being able to differentiate between freelancers and full-time staff - where freelancer time results in salary and full-time staff time results in time balance.
Also, overtime should be able to be mutated (to holiday / day-off) or pay-off (define a per-hour amount for the time, calculate the pay-off, deduct the time from the balance.)

Response from HR Bakery

Hi Stefan!

Many thanks for the detailed and honest review! We are making leave requests far more transparent for managers so that you can be alerted when they are overspent.

I'm going to set up a call with you to make sure you're being onboarded to the new Timesheets module we have been developing over the last months!

Cake-hr for time-off management

Reviewed on 8/8/2018

It's nice tool to solve a problem of availability visibility in the distributed team, easy to use.

Pros

- easy UX and UI
- convenient dashboard
- ability to create different policies for various locations (if you have a distributed team it's fantastic)
- integration with a google calendar & slack bot
- custom actions to be done after a time-off request is provided
- mobile app available

Cons

- documents storage is not convenient for users and search
- had few cases with support team when did not receive a reply in time
- would be great to have a follow-up for managers if they do not approve/decline the request of their direct reports
- request for few hours per day does not allow to give precise hours, simply [number] hours in the first/second part of the day. I would prefer specifying exact hours

Response from HR Bakery

Hi there, thank you for your feedback! :)
I'm pleased to hear that you are enjoying your experience with CakeHR and I am sorry to hear that you felt our support team had't replied in a timely manner. I can ensure you that we are working hard on making sure every customer's needs are addressed with accuracy and efficiency, and we are constantly looking at the ways to improve our service, and your feedback is much appreciated.
As it happens, our Document storage UI is being improved as we speak so if you have ideas how it would work better for you, please get in touch with us!
Speaking of TO requests, there is a functionality to specify hours for part-day request, however it depends on permission settings defined by Admins at your company.
I'd love to take our conversation further, so please do get in touch and we will find the answers! :)

Olga B.

The Potential of the CakeHR

Reviewed on 8/7/2018

The CakeHR, although with some issues, has quite the potential, especially if the developers continue improving and updating it. Not to mention that it is cheap in comparison to, for example, same BambooHR and it also fulfills pretty much all the needed options.
I was pleasantly surprised with the customer support that I was provided while working with this software: if you have any questions or issues - the support team will always answer you within a day and try their best to adjust the software's settings to your liking and if you still have any further questions - they will arrange a meeting to help you solve the problem.
The CakeHR is especially convenient for those companies that are functioning within one country. However, even if the company has several branches located in several countries it is still not a problem. Although it can be a bit confusing at first with all these access levels and settings that you will have to think about - with the right tags and teams you will manage it just fine.

Pros

The Cake is very convenient for employees in terms of usage: it is simple, understandable, and solves the problem with the time-off policies' usage tracking.

Cons

There were quite a few issues that weren't particularly to my liking; however, after mentioning them to the CakeHR support team - they were quickly fixed and changed in the way we wanted them to. Still, there is one thing that I think needs an improvement.

As of now, when you want to upload the documents - you cannot filter/restrict them by location or the team. You can either upload it for everyone within the company to see it or upload it individually. As you might have already realized from that - if you want only one department or only one country's branch to see a certain document - you will have to upload it individually every time.

Response from HR Bakery

Hi Olga, thank you so much for taking time to submit your feedback. More options for documents share is due to be in production next week - so watch this space! :)

User friendly HR app - highly recommend!

Reviewed on 6/11/2019

Overall, an amazing experience.

I did a bit of research as to what CakeHR can do, and when I approached the supporting team, they are very accommodating and patient in regards to the questions I have.

Customer service is definitely one of the things that stood out to me, how responsive and helpful the team is - shout out to customer service who has been helping me along the way!

Pros

How easy it is to get a hang of using the app, which also makes it easier for us as a company to onboard members and encourage them to utilise the app accordingly.

There are a lot of functions to play around, and I find 90% of the functions applicable to the company, and would be applicable to other companies too.

Makes keeping track of employee's goals and tasks easier than ever, with notifications sent to certain individuals frequently yet not too much that they would consider it as spam.

Cons

Wish there could have more functions to track the personal development of employee(s), like having a roadmap or letting them see what is the next step for them to advance to.

Response from HR Bakery

Thanks a lot for such kind words, we really appreciate your feedback!
If I understand you correctly, you are already using CakeHR Performance module. However, due to the reason that we are constantly updating our existing features, it would be great to arrange a quick call, to make sure you are getting the most out of your experience. Please get back to me, so we can agree on a time and date :)

With thanks,

Natasha M.

Cake HR has removed the headache of having to keep track of each team member's time off requests.

Reviewed on 8/4/2017

The software nearly runs by itself - as long as each user is trained properly. This allows the Administrators to focus on other important tasks.

Pros

I like the ability to create custom time-off fields for employees and being able to see everyone's future time-off requests for planning purposes. The "reporting" is very helpful for managers to use during our annual performance review process. Being able to color code the time-off fields makes the platform attractive on both desktop and mobile. I love being able to store HR-related documents for easy access. The entire platform has made our HR processes more efficient. LOVE, LOVE , LOVE!! :)

Cons

As an administrator/manager of the software, I find it difficult to navigate on my Android phone. I don't like being limited to this as I sometimes have to approve individual "time off" requests in the absence of the company President and when I am away from the office.

Response from HR Bakery

Natasha! Thanks!

It sounds like you're all set to go!
I hope our recent update to the mobile has benefited you in terms of user ability. We want to make sure that you are efficient even when on-the-go.

Amanda L.

CakeHR make PTO sweet and simple

Reviewed on 11/2/2016

Working with CakeHR has been a dream! There interface is incredibly user-friendly and makes managing our PTO policies a breeze. Managers love being able to accept/deny requests directly via the email notifications, and our employees love having quick access to submit time on the mobile app.

CakeHR is well thought out and designed, but our company has a few needs that CAKE does not directly meet. However, their support team is absolutely tremendous! They respond very quickly despite the time zone difference, they are always asking and open to our requests for features, and they immediately jump on any issues we encounter and resolve them with flying colors!

Finally, we love the integrations with other apps and our IT guys love being able to use their API to sync employee data to our internal company pages, simplifying PTO for our employees even more.

Pros

Credit/debit of days
Set auto increase of allotment based on employee hire date
Documents Section to store all our onboarding/benefits info
Being able to edit/enter time off that has occurred in the past

Cons

Would like to see more detailed customization such as:
View my PTO balance as days remaining for year vs. days accrued thus far
For PTO less than a full day, it would be nice to enter the exact time the employee wiht be out of the office.
More control over notifications for Admin level users.

Response from HR Bakery

Hi Amanda!

Many thanks for your honest review :)
We're about to release an employee Scheduling feature that will allow all employees to see full attendance lists of employees.

I'll make sure your introduced and set up for this module!

Sarah S.

Piece of Cake!

Reviewed on 6/10/2019

Recently, we became aware that CakeHR offers time tracking. We had previously been using spreadsheets to keep track of hourly employees, which was at times difficult to use and run reporting on. Time tracking in CakeHR allowed us to make it easier for our hourly employees to clock in and out in a system that they were already familiar with, and the payroll reporting aspect is much easier as well.

Pros

I love the ease of use CakeHR offers. It is very intuitive, easy to read (I love the appearance!) and easy to train new employees on. It is also very simple to use the CakeHR API to integrate with other software we use as an organization.

Cons

I have no complaints with CakeHR. Everything is great!

Response from HR Bakery

Dear Sarah,

Such comments makes us feel that we're moving in the right direction. :) We are thrilled that you enjoyed your experience and please let us know if we can help in any way in the future.

Thanks again!

Rachel A.

Impressive, no fuss, tidy little package.

Reviewed on 10/30/2015

I've been trailing CakeHR for two days. Below is my experience so far.

What I really love:
1. In the cloud. We're a cloud based company ourselves so this is a massive plus for me.
2. Nice friendly UI. Easy on the eye, logical flow, nice modals, profile pictures for team members.
3. Can add additional Time-Off Policies other than Holiday & Sickday.
4. Can add Public Holidays that don't count as team holidays taken.
5. Can add Black Out days where no one can book holidays on certain dates.
6. Ability to hide certain tabs from team members like Benefits, Documents, Emergency etc.
7. Can hide calendar from other team members so they can't see who's on holiday etc.
8. Can add categories to Documents.
9. Lots of reporting! Bradford Factor & Employee Growth is a nice touch.
10. Can create teams, support team, dev team etc.
11. Ability for team member to log in and submit holiday requests. This isn't something I've enabled yet as I'm still trying out CakeHR however I can definitely see the benefits of this - less emails & notes!

I'm not calling this list 'Cons' as I don't have any cons. The below points are suggestions:

1. I had to add each Black Out day individually. We have a 6 week period where no one can take holidays. Would be nice to have a start and end date ability here.
2. An app. How cool would it be to have a CakeHR app that you can approve/decline requests on the spot & see who's available on your team that day. I know I'd use it! Android of course ;)

I really love CakeHR's approach to time off management and would recommend to anyone with no hesitation.

Response from HR Bakery

Hi Rachel!

What an intense two days of trialling you had! The feedback is awesome and you know that we have been able to address your "nice to have" list at the bottom. It is feedback like this this really... feeds us!

We have the Android app releases imminently! I will let you and VSware have first-look at the app!

Gary S.

User friendly and easy to use.

Reviewed on 1/28/2019

Cake handles the things we use it for well. Tracking holidays, managing certain manually entered HR processes, but it lacks a lot of functionality which would be needed by an HR system.

Pros

Well presented and easy to use for admin and for users.

Cons

Still Missing features I would like to see from an HR control package

Response from HR Bakery

Hi Gary,

Thank you for your feedback! :) I know that you have been in touch with our team before about various functions and features that you would like to use for your People Management, and I think we should get on a call to touch-base on our latest enhancements as I believe you will find them very useful and handy!

I'll be in touch with you directly to arrange a call.

Thanks
Ilona

Will B.

Great PTO Scheduling & Tracking

Used Weekly for 1+ year
Reviewed on 5/30/2019

Being able to submit a request for time off easily from my phone through the app, have it notify the correct people within our organization to give approval, and then notifying me when the approval is made has greatly simplified PTO tracking for me. I can easily how much time I’ve used, how much I have left, and view a calendar with my scheduled time off as well as others within my team. CakeHR has many other features that I don’t personally use but could see being very useful to others.

Pros

CakeHR lets me to submit requests for vacations, be notified when they’re approved, as well as see when others on my team will be out making it easier to plan for time off.

Cons

The web interface was a little messy but they’ve mostly fixed this now and cleaned it up. I usually use the mobile app anyway which has always had a clean interface.

Response from HR Bakery

Dear Will,

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts and feedback with us. We are happy to hear that CakeHR makes your daily routine a little bit easier. Just wanted to point out that there is possibility to organize your dashboard, enable/disable or customize some of the fields the way it addresses your needs.

I would love to schedule a quick call to discuss some hints & tips - let's stay in touch :)

Best regards,
Viktorija

Nice but too young yet :)

Reviewed on 1/18/2019

Could be a good choice, but functionality has to be improved

Pros

User friendly
Flexible (at least in concept)

Cons

No recruitment module
Not enough fields in recipes (I am pretty sure that it is possible to let user to use much more variables and logic operators (jumps, triggers) and play with boolean search and complex logic).
No calendar of upcoming appraisals for all the company, which could be useful for HR service to plan the load (I mean, standard calendar table view for the whole year)
No recurrence (you should duplicate the same task manually, instead of setting of recurrence 'once per every 6/12/18 months etc")
When you change initial task itself, the workflow which includes this task, still contains not updated version. As for me, if any component has been changed, it should be relevantly changed in any more complicated structures which contain that 'brick', instead of manual searching where this component could be used and further manual changing.

Response from HR Bakery

Hi there,
thanks so much for leaving a detailed feedback - this allows us to constantly review our product and improve! :)

As it happens, we are about to release our new shiny Recruitment module! You are very welcome to test it out in the beta version - please get in touch with me directly and we'll set it up.

We are also constantly adding more Recipe variables, and there are to meet our customers' demands. If there is anything in particular that you think should be added to the Recipes, please get in touch.

With onboarding tasks, it has to be looked at each case specifically as one scenario will not fit all and therefore cannot be applied automatically.

I would love to go through these points with as you directly I can see some very good ideas there. Please write to me :)

Ilona

5.0/10
Liz W.

Cake HR is a very handy tool

Reviewed on 8/15/2017

Pros

Shows how much holiday allowance is left in a straight forward manner. Very user friendly and simple to navigate around the site.

Cons

The price went up recently which isn't ideal as we're not getting more for our money. Probably could offer more things on the site.

Response from HR Bakery

Hi Liz

I hear your concerns about the price going up but without any new features.
The pricing increase was our first in 6 years - since CakeHR began. "plans" became legacy and we made the cost much more easier to manage. The problem with the plans was that you would essentially pay double for a new hire that would take you from Plus to Premium, for example.

That being said, this year, we're releasing the following:
Timesheets & Scheduling
Performance & Appraisal management
Expenses
Training
Applicant Tracking

All of the above whilst we are also improving on the current features! 2018 is going to be a hot year!

If you want to talk about the pricing more personally, I'm more than happy to make arrangements for that and make sure you value CakeHR and your company correctly.

Mohammad I.

Fantastic easy to use leave management software.

Used Other for 2+ years
Reviewed on 8/20/2017

Our previous leave management was managed using spreadsheets and this has made things a lot easier.

Pros

Very easy for staff to be able to request time off and for managers to approve these requests. The interface is laid out well and is very easy to use for both management and staff alike.

Cons

The app has limited functionality, there is no option to facilitate scheduling and rotas for staff members, it is not possible to define different hours on a weekend (each day worked is assumed to be the same number of hours). There has also been an issue that i believe remained unfixed where the annual leave year commences on the same day as a public holiday. It throws the whole system off.

Response from HR Bakery

Hi Mohamed,

We've wanted to impress you for a long time and I know it has been a long time coming but our developers have been working hard and we¿e finally ready to show you our full-blown Scheduling module for CakeHR.

I'll set up a call to take you through the product and you can then schedule your staff with ease!

David B.

Great tool to strength you company culture

Reviewed on 1/25/2017

An important part of our work culture is flexibility. Cake HR has helped us manage our time off, work from abroad, work from home, and sick days policies in a very easy way, without taking time from managers, and giving transparency inside the company.

Pros

Easy to setup.
Even gives you an organizational chart as you add everyone with their reporting lines.
Integrates with Google Apps.
Easy approval of time-off requests with one click from email.
Dedicated customer support.

Cons

Some of our policies were a bit tricky to setup (non US nor European company).

Response from HR Bakery

We love working with you, David! Policies can be a tricky thing when you have employees in other countries but I'm really glad that we get you set up and making the most out of CakeHR for years!

CakeHR has provided me with an excellent balance between feature and cost.

Reviewed on 1/30/2018

As a small business and only two (2) employees I was able to find a cost-effective solution for managing my employees.

Pros

It fulfils the critical requirements for managing Human Resource meaning a means for storing employee information , onboarding and offboarding features, time off management and a neat asset tracking module for assigning specific assets to employees.

Cons

Well the software does not have an attendance tracking feature, however I understand that this feature is in the pipeline.

Angie K.

Get yourself some Cake!!

Reviewed on 1/18/2019

AMAZING!

Pros

Ease of use with the ability to jump in with little to no training necessary for our employees - it has just what we need without a bunch of side bells and whistles that tend to overpower other solutions. It just makes sense!

Cons

I really can't think of something we don't like - any time I ran into a challenge on how to set up a software product team or create a new name for our agile team- I was able to get in touch with the amazing crew over at CakeHR and they were able to set up a call where we quickly found a solution by talking through the need and understanding what we were trying to do.

Rodrigo D.

An HR "silver bullet"

Reviewed on 11/16/2016

We turned to CakeHR when we got to 9 employees. Until then we were tracking MyShowcase on a clumsy spreadsheet that was always wrong. From one day to the other everything was easy and clear. We've kept on using CakeHR. We now have 27 employees. Never have we done any training. CakeHR is super easy to use, new employees seamlessly get on with it.

I strongly recommend it for any small to medium sized company.

Pros

Feature set fully meets our needs

Cons

none

Response from HR Bakery

Thank you, Rodrigo!

CakeHR is perfect for the scaling and growing company. I'm really proud that we hit it off with your employees.

Alina S.

CakeHR is pleasant and hopefully it will be developed further.

Reviewed on 8/16/2017

ToDo -lists and deadlines (e.g. Onboarding and offboarding activities are now under control.)
Directories and archives (e.g. company assets and documentation)

Pros

I like especially the look and feel of the software and that it works quite intuitively. Also, the dashboards are great.

Cons

It would be great if one could configurate it a little bit more. For example the holiday practices. And the user rights, e.g. so that all users could see each others' work contact details.
Also, it would be great to have a personal training section for each member of the personnel.

Response from HR Bakery

Thanks, Alina!

We're currently building a training section of CakeHR so you can keep track of certificates, documents and much more year on year!

Using the Android or iOS mobile app for CakeHR, your employees can view the company's directory along with employee work contact information.

Nereida B.

Management of employee permits and other human resources tasks.

Reviewed on 4/30/2018

A big problem that I have been able to solve with CakeHR is that I receive email notifications of employees' free time requests and approve or reject them by the same email. This has made things easier for me.

Pros

What I like most when using CakeHR is the ease of registration and access; the function "history of changes made" to facilitate the tracking of changes in the data is very good; and when generating reports with a single click is wonderful.

Cons

A big disadvantage of CakeHR is that it integrates with payroll systems, but not with benefit portals or learning management systems. We are waiting for you to integrate all this.

Madeleine H.

Great, easy to use tool

Reviewed on 6/11/2019

CakeHR makes it easy for us to save and document our time-offs, no matter if its vacation, sick days, business trips or home office days – finally everything is put in one place. Due to the great Slack integration, the chatbot informs us about absent employees every morning and makes it easy to plan our resources.
Costumer support is amazing!

Pros

- saves all our time-offs
- overview above vacation and sickdays
- reminder for birthdays and work anniversaries
- Slack integration

Cons

- a bit too less flexibility regarding time off policies (e.g. it would be great to have a policy where working students could enter when they are in the office, not out)

Response from HR Bakery

Dear Madeleine,

Thank you so much for taking time to submit your review! I will get in touch with you, so we can go through policies and set them up in the way it works for your company. All our features are fully customizable, so I am sure we will find the way you get the most out of it :)

With thanks,

Jahana U.

Great for our agency of 25 people.

Reviewed on 8/3/2017

Total organization of our company's tasks and projects.

Pros

The dashboard is my favorite feature. After about a year I have the perfect system set up to control all my own tasks while managing and overseeing everyone's tasks in the company. Timesheets are also great.

Cons

Creating recurring tasks can be tedious. Support helped me figure out a way to duplicate entire projects, but then making changes don't apply across the board. If there was more ease of use, Wrike would be perfect.

Response from HR Bakery

Hi Jahana,

It sounds like you've reviewed Wrike but not CakeHR :D Not to worry, I'm going to set up a call and make sure you're happy with our solution!

Nikolay A.

Good and very intuitive tool. Some country features are missing.

Reviewed on 8/3/2017

Pros

Intuitive tool. Employees like it .
Good management workflow.
Good ability to manage approves via emails.

Cons

We still need to support two tools. We count vacation from start day of the employee, but CakeHR count vacation days from the physical year

Response from HR Bakery

Hey Nikolay

I'm going to set up a call to make sure your policies are set up correctly. It seems you have missed one important feature in policy settings so I'll spend some time with you to make sure it is correct.

Nick M.

Human Resource As Sweet As Can Be

Used Monthly for 2+ years
Reviewed on 12/14/2018

CakeHR is a great way for small companies to feel like they have the presence of a HR department. Although it doesn't replicate all the services it makes sharing information, organizing time off, and more easy for anyone to do. As someone who used it as an employee of a company, it made putting in time off requests easy and the customer support was fantastic the few times I needed to reach out.

Pros

CakeHR is a system I've had to use as an employee. Being forced into a system can often be intimidating and confusing. Using it as an employee has given me the confidence I would need to use it as an administrator if I ever wanted to. The accrual system is fair and responsive and the scheduling and permissions of other users allows everyone to be in sync. For instance, I can see when my co-worker is planning Christmas vacation so I can ensure I'm not taking the same days.

Cons

The only con I can really think of is for United State businesses is that the company is in the United Kingdom. This can cause time zones to kind of be wacky in certain circumstances but they've been providing more and more support in that regard in recent updates and company based decisions.

Mark T.

An invaluable tool for our business!

Reviewed on 1/20/2017

CakeHR allows us to ensure that our staff make the most of their holiday entitlement, track their achievement and manage to run a progressive, agile company without the need for a dedicated HR member of staff.

Pros

Easy to use, great to navigate.

Cons

Historical data is more manual to access than current data.

Response from HR Bakery

Hey Mark,

Thanks for the feedback! We're going to be enhancing how CakeHR reports on historical data very shortly :)
It will be a breeze to get those end of year reports that were missed off!

WELL-ORGANIZED; EVERYTHING YOU NEED IN ONE, ORGANIZED PLACE

Reviewed on 9/20/2018

Pros

I am astonished on how well-organized this software is. The feedback feature allowed our team to determine employees’ rates. Scheduling and Time Tracking features are punctual. It is easy to use. As a Human Resource Specialist, this software has removed almost half of the paperwork and stored it in one place.

Cons

Undertime and overtime tracking is not a feature of CakeHR, we use a different software for that. It would be a great update in the future since it is one of the most needed time tracking option for most companies.