When I Work

Staff scheduling, time tracking, communication & attendance

4.4/5
4.3/5
4.5/5
Customer Support Software
4.5/5

Trish C.
  • Industry: Veterinary Software

• Customer Support Software

Great software for teams of all sizes

Reviewed on 2019-07-25

I've been using this software for 5 years, first as an employee then as an employer. Ease of use for both parties is fantastic and it's well worth paying for to save the time. When I change places of business, if I have a choice, I will choose When I Work again and again.

Pros

- Shift templates, makes scheduling a lot easier
- The ability to copy and paste any shift, even faster than clicking and choosing
- Simple to add and remove employees
- App is fairly easy to use
- Time clock is awesome, easy to use

Cons

- Looking at the full staff schedule on a particular day can be tedious.
- For those making schedules, it's so much easier to do on a computer
- In order to have a printed schedule, it downloads the PDF which you then have to print. I wish this printed right off the website.

Gingr

Reasons for Switching to When I Work

The hourly staff scheduling that comes with Gingr leaves a LOT to be desired and has a lot of catching up to do to even be basically useful.

Response from When I Work

Hi Trish,

Thank you for taking the time to review When I Work, and your feedback is appreciated! We are always looking for ways to make improvements and appreciate users like you that provide feedback so we can enhance and improve When I Work!

Amanda

Erin M.
  • Industry: Food & Beverages

Scheduling made simple

Reviewed on 2020-03-16

Overall we have loved using When I Work. It makes scheduling seamless and reduces the amount of time we spend on employee schedules. We also really love the reminders and text alerts as it makes it easy to communicate with our team quickly when things change.

Pros

When I Work is so easy to use, it is simple to add employees, great for creating shift templates and the chat features and shift drop applications make changing the schedule simple for employees. As a manager these features are awesome as they reduce the amount of time that I spend re-working the schedule.

Cons

The only challenge we have faced is that we don't have access to the task list as we don't pay for this version of the application. We would love to try it out to see if it is a good value add for us.

Schedulefly

Reasons for Switching to When I Work

We liked how easy it was to use, and how many add ons there are included with the basic account.

Response from When I Work

Hi Erin -

Thank you so much for taking the time to give us such a lovely review!

I'm so happy to hear features we offer like Shift Swaps & Drops and WorkChat have been so useful for you. It's awesome to hear that scheduling has gotten easier as well!

We'd be happy to discuss our Tasks feature and see what options are available for you. Feel free to submit a ticket at https://help.wheniwork.com/submit-a-ticket/ so we can assist!

Again, thanks so much for this lovely review!

Sarah C.
  • Industry: Wine & Spirits

• Customer Support Software

Takes the work out of scheduling

Reviewed on 2019-11-18

We have been incredibly happy with the program. We went from spending 8-10 hours scheduling each month to 1-2

Pros

It is incredibly easy for both the employee to enter their availability and the manager to appropriately schedule. We love that we cant schedule somebody if they mark themselves unavailable, avoids confusion and holds the employee accountable

Cons

The inability to attach files to an email

Sling

Reasons for Choosing When I Work

We were creating our own schedule utilizing excel spreadsheets, this left open a ton of room for human error

Microsoft Excel

Reasons for Switching to When I Work

The video training was so easy to understand and charming, it was a no brainer

Response from When I Work

Hi Sarah,

Anna here from When I Work Customer Care. Thank you for taking a minute to leave us a review! I definitely understand how the ability to attach a file to a group email could improve When I Work. We have just released a new feature called Document Storage that your team may be interested in. I've linked an article that outlines the feature below.

Thanks again for leaving us a review. We're happy to hear that When I Work is saving you time and preventing confusion. If you have any questions or concerns, please let us know at https://help.wheniwork.com/submit-a-ticket/.

Have a great day,

Joel M.
  • Industry: Restaurants

When I work Works!

Reviewed on 2019-05-16

When I work eliminates all the shift swapping without approval, and gets rid of the paper requests off for day off requests that get lost etc.

Pros

I love the ease of use. When I work is the whole package for what we needed it to do. The app does what it needs to by allowing the employees to do everything they could do on desktop. This makes them much more willing to use it and use the functions correctly.

Cons

So far we have not found something we don't like.

TimeForge

Reasons for Switching to When I Work

We tried timeforge and I think it is a good product, but the app didn't yet do all we needed it to do and the graphs and info for management tracking were a bit too informative for our needs which I felt made them confusing.

Response from When I Work

Hi Joel!

Thanks for such a fantastic review! I'm glad to hear that you're finding it's saving time and reducing stress for things like time off requests!

Terra

Allison M.
  • Industry: Automotive

Scheduling Made Easy and Quick

Reviewed on 2018-10-25

Pros

The site is very easy to understand especially for a software that is so robust. I can't tell you the value there, but it is so much appreciated. We have saved a lot of time and miscommunications while using When I work.

The attendance notifications help me to keep track of where our team is hour-wise on an individual basis and as a whole. It's nice that I am alerted, one less thing I need to remember to check on. In conjunction with the Forcast reporting, I have a very clear view of the week ahead.

The apps are handy, especially from the administration side. I am able to update time clocked hours on the fly, check everyone's schedule and separate out my own, I can even handle time off requests. I haven't ever attempted to schedule through the app, although knowing how intuitive everything is through their online site, I would venture to guess it would be a piece of cake. I know our team members enjoy having their schedules and hours readily available in their pocket as well.

Cons

We have had a couple issues with clock-ins through the apps. There have been times when it isn't recognizing the location or the punch doesn't make it all the way through. But that's it!

I would love if this software could manage our PTO as well, but we haven't found a way to make it work with how our times are calculated.

Response from When I Work

Hello Allison,

Jaime here from the Customer Care Team at When I Work. Thank you so much for taking the time to leave us a review!

I'm glad to hear that you find When I Work to be easy to understand and that it has helped your team save time, assist with communication, and help you keep track of when your employees are clocking in/out.

I am sorry to hear that your team has been experiencing a few issues clocking in from time to time. Feel free to reach out to us [email protected] at any time and we can dig into this further as to why this is occurring.

We'd also like to hear how PTO works for your company to see how we can assist.

Thanks again for the review!

Take care,

Jaime

Timothy S.
  • Industry: Recreational Facilities & Services

• Customer Support Software

Great tool for managers and employees!

Reviewed on 2018-01-25

Pros

The ease of navigating the app. Being able to put the scheduling software directly on the phone of the employees is outstanding.
We also really enjoy utilizing the messenger tool. Its a great way to speak to everyone in an efficient manner.

Cons

We dont like the add drop portion of shift scheduling and changes. As a management staff we would like to use this but it has been difficult to create a process do to implement this do to it not requiring a manager approval.

Response from When I Work

Hi there Timothy,

Thanks for taking the time out of your day to review our app! I am happy to hear that When I Work has made communicating with your team a little easier.

I will certainly pass along your feedback about the Swap and Drop feature to our team so we can look into improvements that would make the feature more user-friendly.

In the meantime, we do have a way to turn on 'Manager Approval' for Swap and Drop requests. This means that when the Swap and Drop request is made, the request will first be sent to a Manager to approve before the request is sent to other users to pick up.

The Account Holder or a Manager can turn on the Manager Approval setting for Swaps and Drops from their 'App Settings' section via the web. They will then need to navigate to the 'Scheduling' section of the App Settings to enable Manager Approval.

If you have any questions, you can reach out to our Customer Care Team at [email protected]

Sincerely,
Kara
-When I Work Team

Richard S.

Accessibility and Intuitive Scheduling

Reviewed on 2020-09-29

My overall experience with When I Work has been positive! Out of all the scheduling apps or processes I've been a part of, this has definitely been the smoothest. I would recommend this app to any employer looking for good software.

Pros

What I like most about this software is the ability to track my hours in multiple manners. Not only does the app show me how many hours I am scheduled to work a week, it shows me the scheduled hours of everyone on staff in a larger format, and can even show my timesheets, giving me the breakdown of negative or positive hours correlating to clocking in early or clocking out late. This last feature is extremely helpful as it quantifies the fruits (whether ripe or rotten) of your labor, letting you know exactly what you need to keep doing or improve on.

Cons

Yes, when I am accessing availability and have repeating schedule preferences, if there absolutely any overlap, it simply does not allow you to make changes and it is then your job to find the overlaps and shift them to allow for your original change. Often, this process is tedious, but it doesn't come up often as the initial mistake is human error. If there was a way for it to offer options on how you'd like to fix the overlap, that would be perfect.

Response from When I Work

Hi Richard, thanks so much for this detailed review. We appreciate the feedback on setting availability preferences and I am happy to share this feedback with the appropriate team.

Jeremy M.
  • Industry: Broadcast Media

• Customer Support Software

When I Work does a great job @ scheduling basic & repetitive schedules & an ok job when it's...

Reviewed on 2018-04-19

Scheduling of our complexity is more or less possible with this software. It would be a huge headache otherwise.

Pros

It simplifies communication with staff and freelancers, pushing updates to them en masse. It is an attractive UI and the app functions pretty well. Support is responsive and communicative.

Cons

The permission levels need a lot of work. They are limited and global so you really don't have much control over who sees what. You can't copy a shift from one week to the next, this seems kind of basic, especially if an event spans multiple weeks it's inconvenient to have to build the shift twice. It would also be nice to have the ability for someone to view a schedule at a location other than the one they are scheduled at...for example, someone in one office wants to see if someone in another office is scheduled to be available or not without showing up in that locations schedule. Currently this is not possible.

Response from When I Work

Hi Jeremy,

Thanks for taking the time to review When I Work! We are happy to hear that When I Work helps simply scheduling and communication for you and your team.

I will let my team know that you are interested in seeing more control over the When I Work permission levels, schedule views, and the copy shifts feature. Thanks so much for your feedback on this!

Adrian
When I Work Team

Rosa G.
  • Industry: Design

When I Work Software Review

Reviewed on 2019-12-16

For a startup company, it is useful to have a nice and easy way to keep track of everyone's schedule, working time, salary rates, etc. This is a good solution, instead of having all the information in separate emails or google calendars that do not meet the needs entirely. It has its issues, but I overall would recommend to check it out, especially if you have a limited budget but you already have multiple people working with or for you.

Pros

- Simple and clean UX/UI
- Easy to keep track of everyone's tasks
- Nice and multiple features like adding notes, editing time entries, etc.
- Flexible to work with multiple users
- Works nicely when you have multiple employes and need to keep track of multiple schedules, locations, etc.
- Nice support team
- It has medium cost, so small to medium companies can afford it
- You can also organize bonuses and salary rates.
- Very colorful
- Flexible to customize according to your needs
- Employees can indicate when they are available, instead of using emails to notify their working hours

Cons

- Mobile app crashes constantly and it is not well designed.
- Too much email spam
- Still has a couple of annoying glitches happening from time to time
- Dashboards and reports could be improved so you can make them more detailed.

Response from When I Work

Hi Rosa!

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review. We are glad to know that using When I Work has made your work life easier and we appreciate your feedback.

Thanks again!

Kate

Sue M.

• Customer Support Software

Best option for our unique scheduling

Reviewed on 2019-05-20

We were using an Excel spreadsheet for scheduling for years; it was becoming unwieldy. We also had employees frequently misreading their schedules and arriving at the wrong time or to the wrong place. WiW is much easier to manage than the Excel schedule, and by using text alerts our employees make far fewer errors in viewing their schedules.

Pros

Flexible to adapt to our scheduling needs, easy to learn, easy to train staff, responsive to questions or when needing assistance

Cons

Sometimes new features aren't explained before they're rolled out

Response from When I Work

Hi Sue -

Adrianne here! Thanks for taking the time to write us such a great review!

I'm really happy to hear that the app is easy to train and learn on! If you ever have questions about our new features, please don't hesitate to reach out to us! We're happy to assist! You can submit a ticket here: https://help.wheniwork.com/submit-a-ticket/

Again, thanks for the review!

Take care,

Dawn C.

Easily keep track of your schedule and your employees.

Reviewed on 2020-03-06

I love working when When I work because it has yet to fail me. I'm notified of shifts and all the info provided seems up to the minute updates (timesheets). I enjoy both the app and website.

Pros

I like that the interface is simple and very easy to you. Everything is clearly labeled and very navigational. I enjoy the simplicity as it doesn't look cluttered. You're given the info you're looking for instantly and clearly. It is easy to when I work (no pun intended) as well as when my coworkers or employees should be on shift.

Cons

I wish there was more color to it. Make it seem more inviting and not so... boring. In that aspect is too simple. But that's just me being super picky because overall this product is great.

Response from When I Work

Hi Dawn,

Katie here with Customer Care at When I Work. Thanks for taking the time to leave us a review - we appreciate it!

We are very happy to see the app has been easy to navigate and provides you with the information you need. And thanks for the feedback on the colors - we are always looking for ways to improve the product!

Please let us know if you have any additional feedback!

Thanks again,
Katie

Karen H.
  • Industry: Veterinary Software

WhenIWork

Reviewed on 2021-07-05

Easy and fair price. Had one issue and customer service was easy to deal with

Pros

Fair price, easy to use. Staff like having the schedule accessible any time. Easy for them to make requests for time off.

Cons

Setting up templates could be easier. More customization. An easy way to look at the entire schedule, like on a calendar format

WhenToWork

Price

Response from When I Work

Hello Karen,

Bill here from When I Work Customer Care. Thank you for the awesome review. We are happy to hear When I Work has made checking/receiving your schedule a breeze!

Thanks,
Bill

Courtney R.
  • Industry: Food & Beverages

Easy to use on the go

Reviewed on 2020-03-24

Scheduling is a nightmare but when I work makes it a lot easier. we were really happy with our experience. One of our employees even got a free shirt mailed to her just for filling out a review after she had called Customer Service to ask a question. She was happy about it :-)

Pros

When i work is really easy to use on the go. I managed a multiple site food business and it made scheduling way easier than it would have been without the software. The drag and drop options for time blocks are nice and the time clock option was easy to use as well for our employees.

Cons

Sometimes the locations and job sites were a little confusing or hard to navigate but they were always making improvements to the system that made those easier to navigate and adapt to our business model.

Response from When I Work

Hi Courtney,

We appreciate that you've taken time out of your day to leave us such a thoughtful review. It's great to hear that When I Work helped you manage your multi-site business and that you were able to recognize improvements made to the job site feature as you used it. We love to hear things like that!

If any questions come up, we're always available at https://help.wheniwork.com/submit-a-ticket/.

Justin S.

• Customer Support Software

Have been using WIW for several years now and have enjoyed being apart of WIW program

Reviewed on 2017-10-25

Made a very difficult task of scheduling multi locations and multiple staff members much simpler. What used to take several days of labor can now be done in a few hours, and we are 4 times as large as we were when we started. WIW has helped with that growth because of the efficiency in scheduling and budgeting our staff hours to fit our need.

Pros

Continual improvement to meet the needs of clients. The changes that have occurred over the last 3 years have improved our workflow and continually allows us to do more with scheduling and payroll. Reports that export to Excel/google sheets, budgeting, etc. WIW has allowed our staff the continuity it needs to be successful.

Response from When I Work

Hey Justin!

Thanks for leaving such a great review! We have enjoyed having you be a part of our When I Work community. :)

It's great to hear that you've appreciated all of the updates that we've made the past 3 years. We hope that you can continue to grow with us as our journey continues!

Thanks so much for being a great customer - have a great day!

• Industry: Transportation/Trucking/Railroad

Makes scheduling for business effortless

Reviewed on 2019-08-03

Pros

Even with small businesses with just a dozen employees, it can be a pain to coordinate and schedule shifts for each person. When I Work makes all of that easy. There's both computer and mobile support, and employees can mark when they're available, which is all displayed in one place so making sure shifts are covered is easy--what's even better is that when someone calls in sick you can see who's "on call" or available and get another person to cover ASAP. Saves so much time and energy that would otherwise go into scheduling.

Cons

This service is not free, however I would say it is 100% worth paying for.

Response from When I Work

Hello!

Thank you so very much for taking the time to provide such a thorough and delightful review!

I'm so happy to hear that our software has provided time savings, convenience and ease of use!

Thank you very much for this wonderful 5 star review!

Joli G.

Perfect for small businesses

Reviewed on 2019-08-06

Overall, the program is great for what you are paying (which is nothing, in our case). Simple to use and great for small businesses.

Pros

We have the free version so honestly, I like that there is a free software option. My husband and I researched quite a few scheduling software programs and this one was the best fit for what we needed while also being free.

Cons

It would be so much easier when it comes to payday if there was a way to set up pay periods and if the program would calculate each employees hours within that pay period. Figuring up employees hours gets a big meticulous when we get to pay day.

Response from When I Work

Hi Joli -

Thank you for taking a moment to give us a great review!

I'm so glad to hear that we're the best fit for your needs! We do have some free Attendance features that will allow you to track employees worked hours and provide you with a payroll summary at the end of each set Pay Period. Feel free to submit a ticket with us here: https://help.wheniwork.com/submit-a-ticket/ and we can go in more detail about these options.

Again, thank you so much for taking the time to give us a review!

Imelda C.

Working remotely for a Large Team made possible

Reviewed on 2019-02-05

Pros

A team collaboration tool which can be installed to your Desktop and mobile devices. Its features allow you to collaborate within members of a team, a project, or a department through its real time work chat and send message. It is a also a timesheet where you can choose a preferred schedule, add your shift schedule for the week at the same time log your hours. Management can easily view the availability and logged hours of its employees. Real time notifications are available in order to view updates on tasks and deadlines. It resolves remote working difficulties no matter how many employees you have within a department. Right now, we are 48 in our sales team. It effectively delivers work related communication whether its public or private. You can easily find a member in the recipient field when sending private message.

Cons

Logged hours can just be added by a member. An employee can just add his or his own logged hours in timesheet. It should be backed up by a different or separate application to justify the hours if they are really valid or not.

Laurie T.

• Customer Support Software

When I work is easy to use and has organized and streamlined our staffing process.

Reviewed on 2017-11-20

Lots of time saved and better communication with staff.

Pros

So easy to use and learn. I have used support several times and each time I get clear instructions on how to do what I need to do. Very helpful, step by step directions.

Cons

The only thing I don't like is that I cannot acknowledge shifts for my workers. Sometimes they have difficulty doing it from their phones and I am talking to them in person so I would like to acknowledge their shifts. I get that there is a point to making them do it but sometimes it is easier to do it on my computer. Having said that it is a very small issue.

Response from When I Work

Hi Laurie,

Thank you for writing this awesome review! It is great to hear how helpful When I Work has been for your coffee shop.

Our support team appreciates the kind words. Customer service is a staple of When I Work so I am glad you have had a good experience whenever questions came up.

If your team continues having trouble acknowledging their shifts, please email us at [email protected] so we can resolve the issue for you!

Happy Scheduling!

-Matt

Kati M.

Very easy to use!

Reviewed on 2017-11-02

Efficient way to schedule and keep track of how many were staffed for different events.

Pros

Self sufficient approach to letting my staff swap shifts and drop them. I really like being able to put our events on the annotation.

Cons

When you're listed as unavailable, you can't see the dropped shifts and few on my staff would like to just pick shifts up and not be scheduled on a regular basis.

Response from When I Work

Hi Kati,

Thanks very much for taking the time to review When I Work! We are thrilled that you are finding the system to be easy to use and self-sufficient for your team.

To the other feedback with "unavailable" staff, these staff can still get alerts for shift Drops/Swaps even if they mark themselves as "unavailable". However, if the staff are already scheduled anytime during the block where the shift is being offered, then they would not see the shift request because this would be a double-book.

Can you reach out to us at [email protected]? We'd love to consult further to ensure your staff can see these shift opportunities.

Thanks again for your review and for choosing When I Work!

Sasha DeMarre

Lisa D.

• Customer Support Software

Great experience for large operation

Reviewed on 2018-10-04

Pretty straight forward piece of software which was super easy to implement in a large operation. Overall, very happy with it and would recommend to anyone!

Pros

We implemented this software for a staff of 52 hourly employees and found it to be incredibly helpful as opposed to scheduling on excel. It was easy to drag and drop boxes between employees and see shift swaps. We also liked the easily accessible app - no more excuses! Overall, it simplified scheduling, making it much more accessible for our very large staff.

Cons

When initially setting up the difference office locations and shifts, it wasn't as easy to edit. However, with some practice, we developed our method and got into the swing. There may be an easier way when initially setting up the schedule, locations, and shifts.

Seth J.

Good scheduling app

Reviewed on 2020-04-11

I would definitely suggest other companies to use it. I do want them to work out the bugs though

Pros

I use this to schedule our tours at work. I like the interface and it shows all the tours in one spot. Makes my job easier

Cons

This app can be extremely buggy. I am having to constantly close it out and restart it. I also wish it was easier to schedule multiple shifts within the app

Response from When I Work

Hi Seth,

Thank you so much for taking a moment to leave us a review! It's great to hear that you would recommend When I Work to other businesses. We appreciate your feedback regarding the mobile apps - our team is working hard to ensure that they maintain a high quality of performance.

As always, please don't hesitate to reach out to us at https://help.wheniwork.com/submit-a-ticket/ if anything comes up! Our customer care team would be happy to help.

All the best,

Shannon O.

When I Work

Reviewed on 2020-09-09

It is great to use if you do not have may employees. The more employees you have the more it will cost. I loved the time clock feature and that employees can check in remotely. Although a lot of the other features you have to upgrade for. It is not the most user friendly.

Pros

I originally downloaded this as a time clock to track employee hours, it does that and much more. I like that you are able to set an admin so it is difficult for employees to change things.

Cons

It takes time to figure out how to use it and you do not get that much with the free version. If you want more features you will have to pay.

Response from When I Work

Hi Shannon -

Thanks for taking some time to share a review with us!

I'm happy to hear that our free features help meet your workplace needs and that various access levels have allowed you to manage your team with more accountability!

Again, thanks for the review!

Aaron W.

• Customer Support Software

Great software that is very easy to use!

Reviewed on 2017-10-13

Better controls over time card monitoring, audit trail, and better PTO system then we were previously using.

Pros

User-friendliness and clock-in/clock-out feature that is tied to the IP address of the location employees should be reporting to.

Cons

No PTO accrual. Integration w/ Quickbooks Online is not great with the payroll module. It does not split the hours into Regular, OT, and PTO categories. Makes the process still much of a manual lift when paying employees.

Response from When I Work

Hey Aaron,

Thank you for leaving us a review! I am happy to hear that you are finding the software easy to use - especially for your staff clocking in and out.

Thank you for providing us with that feedback about PTO accrual and integration with QBO. We are always working on improving the functionality of our app and adding new tools as well so this feedback is very important to us.

Have an excellent day!

Lori H.

• Customer Support Software

Good tool but a bit tough to navigate for a first time user

Reviewed on 2017-09-08

Easy schedule sharing and time tracking.

Pros

I love being able to instantly share schedules and schedule changes with employees on the corresponding app. I also really like the time clock tool that allows employees to clock in and out on a work station or their phone app. Very convenient. Text help was quick to reply during regular business hours. Reasonably priced for my business type.

Cons

I am a first time user of this type of program. I did not find the set up to be very intuitive. I also felt a bit overwhelmed by the barrage of email and text tip messages I received in the first few days. I think it would be much more effective to ask the client if they would like a one on one Q&A/setup tour to address the personal needs of the business rather than peppering tips hoping something applies to the situation/business. Also, my business operates only at night and on the weekends so that is when my employees and I have questions. Text support is not always available when I need them which can be very frustrating.

Response from When I Work

Hi Lori!

Thanks for leaving us a review! We are happy to hear that you are finding both the scheduler and time clock beneficial for your company.

We do always try to schedule one-on-one training sessions with our new customers, so I apologize that you did not receive that. Our Customer Care team does work extended hours on Live Chat, but if you are not able to reach them at that time you can always send in a ticket to [email protected] and they will get back to you as soon as they can.

Have a great day!

Angela S.
  • Industry: Libraries

Good functionality

Reviewed on 2019-03-08

The app and the website (both are used) both function well with shift change notifications, chat feature, time off requests, and the ability to view coworkers' schedules. It's a good value.

Pros

I like the ease with which a person clocks in and out for the day. The added "take lunch" feature is handy, as it counts down your time for you and timesheets appear in a streamlined version for printing.

Cons

Sometimes the mobile app is very slow to load or spontaneously signs me out.

Response from When I Work

Hey Angela!

Thanks for taking a moment to share your experience with the When I Work app! I'm happy to hear you're finding it useful and easy to navigate!

If you're experiencing issues with the app, please don't hesitate to reach out to our Care Team, we'd be happy to help! You can submit a ticket at https://help.wheniwork.com/submit-a-ticket/

Take care!