BQE Core

Time & Billing | Project Management | Accounting

4.4 /5 (460 reviews) Write a Review!
4.4
4.5
4.3
4.3
4.6
John M.
Industry: Civil Engineering

I am happy to say that I took a leap of faith in upgrading my office to BQE

Reviewed on 2020-04-03

Prior to using BQE software I used Wind-2 and SEMA4 which are costly programs. I was not a newbie to using project management software when implementing BQE. My greatest frustration in using those legacy programs was that they did not have any flexibility in them that allowed me to update or “correct” erroneous entries into the system database without having the data reprogrammed in some way by the vendor. Support for BQE can assist making changes on the fly if need be and hopefully will continue to support the services industry in the future. I have witnessed the mission of BQE to continue to improve the software and support for its users. I am happy to say that I took a leap of faith in upgrading my office to BQE and have not been disappointed.

Pros

SIMPLICITY – it is an easy transition from paper time sheets in a format that employees can easily understand. Employee time entries can add memos that are invaluable to explain charges to clients or counsel employees on their activities.
FLEXIBILITY – Some projects require slightly different reporting/invoicing formats to fit the client’s needs. BQE support assists with accomplishing just that at a reasonable cost.
SUPPORT – Over these years, issues in understanding inputs or reporting have been addressed in real-time, on-line, to help maintain operation schedules for billing and reporting.
REPORTS – Both summary and detailed reports are available that can include memos to help clarify time and expenses. One can look at a project from different facets based on a manager’s needs.

Cons

Some of the labor reporting modules need to be reviewed that use an integer formatted numbers that round off and be updated to use an accounting formatted number with 2 decimal places. My accounting department uses two report for payroll that use incorrect time (rounding up) instead of an exact job time/cost figure. I have to review and have them update to the corrected time values each time.

Tersa H.

Overall, I love the program

Reviewed on 2019-05-09

Overall, I love the program. It took me many years working in a very outdated software until I felt I found the right program (Core) to switch to for time and billing. It has met all of my needs so far! Love it. I have not had to call in for customer service often but when I do everyone has been helpful and I have not encountered any issues what so ever. I have not worked in the Project Management or Accounting modules of the program.

Pros

The flexibility for invoicing. The ability to email the invoices right from the program. Being able to use the program from anywhere a browser is available although I personally have not had to log in anywhere other than the office but some of my staff has.

Cons

The downside is the refresh rate. At times there is lag due to internet connection which is obviously not an issue with Core itself but the internet connection. I do regret that when entering time entries the fields do not populate faster. I would also love to see a total by day when entering time entries without having to change the date range. I.e. I set the range for a pay period, I would like to see a total for each day and for the entire pay period as a whole on the same screen without having to adjust the dates.

Francisco A.
Industry: Accounting

Started our journey with BQE 10 years back and we are loving it!

Reviewed on 2016-08-05
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Pros

BillQuick is powerful software and in general it has helped improve the productivity in the office. It used to take us days to do billing in Excel. BillQuick has cut down that tedious billing process significantly. Our Project Managers are happy because they have everything they need about their project in on location which is Project Center. Recording time and expenses using web suite and mobile apps has made it possible to see the real time project progress. There are several different invoice templates in the software and we have a very unique format that we need to send our invoices on and BillQuick created a custom invoice template for us which fits our needs. We are dealing with different customer service on our other software and I think there support is top class and definitely a customer service driven company

Cons

Can't think of anything. It has been 10 years since we started using BillQuick and the experience is getting better with every year that passes by because they release upgraded every year which is most driven from user feedback.

Carol Y.
Industry: Accounting

Absolutely. . . . . . THE BEST!!!

Reviewed on 2017-02-24
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

What a life saver!!!! We've used BillQuick for the last five years. It has proved to be the perfect solution for our timekeeping and billing needs. BQE is easy to use and can be tailored to fit your specific needs. The program has a variety of easy-to-use features and an extensive catalog of reports that can be tailored to meet the most specific of requirements. And, if needed, they have a fabulous team who will develop a custom report, tailored to fit your specific needs and reporting requirements.

Pros

To get you started, BQE has a uniquely talented team who will introduce you to the program and provide thorough training. Then, once you get started, BQE has an outstanding team of technicians who are just a phone call away and can readily provide assistance when needed.

Timothy D.
Industry: Architecture & Planning

We use this software to manage our architecture firm. I have 25 years in practice and I have used 4 similar programs - this is the best by far.

Reviewed on 2018-05-29
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

The BQE company has been very responsive to suggestions and is making steady improvements. It is nice to use software that gets better over time.

Pros

The product is very powerful and provides quick information about how our projects are progressing - it allows us to know precisely how we are doing financially on each project. I like how flexible it is - much more flexible than other similar software I have used over the years. I like the interface and the customer service has been really excellent - they have been very responsive when we get stuck, and there has rarely not been a solution to our problems.

Cons

Sometimes the flexibility of the software makes it a little unwieldy. This software requires you to pay attention to what you are doing - because you can mess things up pretty quickly. There are times when I wish it had the ability to turn off some options - I would give up some power and flexibility to make it easier to work with. Invoice formatting needs some work.

Kari K.
Industry: Civil Engineering

It is a easy to find information in BQE

Reviewed on 2020-10-26

Overall I find this program to be helpful and easy to use. A few tweaks here and there but an efficient program.

Pros

We are taking advantage of powerful reporting and invoicing features of BQE. From reports were are now able to extract the valuable information which is helped us in double checking accuracy. Invoicing is easy and we are impressed with professional looking invoice templates that are easy to read. Also it is easy to manage the outstanding accounts receivable. It is the easy of use of the program that makes it worthwhile.

Cons

It would be nice to see colored comments to invoices such as a red Past Due.

Laura D.
Industry: Architecture & Planning

Core is a centralized time keeping and invoicing program

Reviewed on 2020-05-26

The invoicing platform is pretty neat; the T&E platform works really well.

Pros

We switched to Core to make sure all our employees have a one centralized software for time and expense tracking. Our staff is enjoying as it works really well. The T&E data then automatically flows into invoicing which makes it easy to invoice your clients. Overall we enjoy pretty neat invoicing formats of Core.

Cons

Gant charting feature needs improvement and it has been communicated to Core development team

Marlene L.
Industry: Architecture & Planning

Time and expense tracking is easy and faster

Reviewed on 2020-10-06

Overall experience has been great. When we do have glitches - the technical support we always get from support engineers is fantastic!

Pros

Inputting our time and expenses in BQE is so much faster - one does not have to do it manually and then trying to established what the billing and or expenses are for each client.... as we have many projects on the go. Manually would be time-consuming vs. inputting into software.

Cons

We have been pleased with using BQE.. as long as the person inputting the information is correct. The only issue is - if the internet is down - we do not have access to BQE.

Alexis W.

Reviewed on 2011-10-24

Even though we do not integrate BillQuick with QuickBooks, this is an option that does sync with ease. What is nice is that you can have endless users working in this software system, independently entering their time and expenses without having issues. I have used many different software systems, and this one is quite easy to use and well worth the price.

Pros

Henderson Architectural started using BillQuick in 1999, while I began using this system in mid-2002. With the assistance of BillQuick's customer support and specialized tech support, we were able to run BillQuick more efficiently and to its full capabilities for what our firm needs. In the 9 years that I have been working with BillQuick, I have established an outstanding relationship with them to the point where they know what my needs and expectations are without me having to re-state them. The software has many capabilities, along with Crystal Reports, that allows you to design or edit existing reports/invoices to your needs. I have created special invoices for specific clients, and I am able to tie these invoices to specific projects without having to worry about them printing on the wrong template. The capabilities to tie expenses, activities, employees, etc to specific projects is endless.

Cons

I truly do not have any cons for this product only because if you are in need of something special, feel there should be something brought to their attention or any issues that need to be resolved, you may email them and most likely your suggestion/issue could end up in the next upgrade.

Susan V.

BQE Support Service

Reviewed on 2016-08-15
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Pros

ArchiOffice is an easy way to track time both billable and non-billable and to generate client invoices. In addition, ArchiOffice is able to run specific reports to help track phases and time by individual employees.

Cons

Some aspects are not intuitive. Running specific detailed reports can be a troubleshooting process until you happen to check and uncheck the correct check box. There is no user "How To" manual for reference or short video clips to view. It would be nice to see a page of every report that ArchiOffice can generate, use a dummy project and print out what is possible. I am sure that there are so many other features that our company could benefit from if we only knew the capabilities of ArchiOffice (without joining a training session that cost money)

Patricia S.

Archioffice - 2016

Reviewed on 2016-11-14
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Have been using archioffice fairly frequently for the past five years. I work for two companies - an architecture firm and an owner's representative. The program makes more sense for architecture firm - as it has trouble with the fee structure that we use for the owner's representative. Customer support is great - there are a lot on online tutorials, but we pay for the Gold support package - so we have a dedicated support representative who is familiar with our programming. Since our company is small - I don't have familiarity with the batch invoicing, but on an individual input - it works great. I find it pretty intuitive to pick and start using.

Pros

Access - app syncs nicely with the main project - for timesheet entry
Online/web access - makes it platform independent - so you can access program on Mac or PC
Duplicate projects - you don't need to start from scratch to create a project
Invoice/Transaction Entry - easy to enter and track

Cons

Timesheets are not as easy as they could be - other programs allow you to enter time by the week - this is an individual entry per project, per day
NTX is for the project or phase - can't be coded as monthly - tried many work arounds - nothing worked
Back function doesn't work - if you are looking at a timesheet entry in a specific project - you will back out to the home page of the project - not the timesheet screen

Bryan Z.

Archioffice Review as an Architect who does the billings

Reviewed on 2016-07-26

I like the ease of use, i am an architect, not a financial type, i understand this product and am able to use it effectively.
It has helped us control our billings and receiveables.
I also really like the customer support, Alan Schlieper, is very good at working with me in any issues that come up.
I tried to mark a 10 in the ratings below, but the survey would not allow. He is that good!

Cons

I wish i could better utilize all of the services the product offers, but we are a bit entrenched in our own processes.

Response from BQE Software

Thank you, Bryan!

Michael M.
Industry: Management Consulting

BillQuick is a robust timekeeping and invoicing tool

Reviewed on 2018-04-13
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Pros

BillQuick is a powerful timekeeping and invoicing program. We chose it as our preferred invoicing software as it provides the ability to customize client and project details.

Cons

The amount of options and customizations possible can also make the program difficult to navigate and master. I recommend utilizing customer support when needed.

Ed S.
Industry: Accounting

BQE is awesome. 12 years and counting!

Reviewed on 2017-09-22
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Give it a try and you won't be disappointed. We once had a confusion about the upgrade and it was amicably settled by the customer service manager.

Pros

We have been using BQE products for 12 years now. Its ease of use has really helped us manage time and send invoices to our clients on time. Customer service is great too. Overall we are happy with the product and services

Cynthia E.

Great concept

Reviewed on 2017-02-24
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Bill Quick online has definitely helped us improve our cash flow and our profitability. I would recommend it to other architects with a couple of caveats.

Pros

- Absolutely OUTSTANDING customer support team (trust me- I've worked with almost all of them; special kudos to the customer service.
- Lots of options
- Custom report feature is a big plus

Cons

- Really complex; definitely designed by engineers who included almost every variation imaginable
- Still evolving on the accounting side

Lisa H.

Outstanding Customer Service

Reviewed on 2016-10-04
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

I am a Gold Care technical support member and for someone like me who transitioned from an extremely out dated software, it is 100% worth paying to have this service. The software itself is fairly self explanatory, but when you need help in seeing the Big Picture, BQE tech support is there for you and they stick with you until you get it.

Pros

With regards to the accounting side of software, BQE having an accredited tax advisor is a Great help when transitioning from one software to another.
I found this support extremely complimentary to the overall transition and knowing I can call and set up a GoToMeeting if need be - is another bonus

Cons

My team when it comes to Simple Time Cards using Websuite, wish that they could have the Project ID and Project Number both visible at the same time instead of having to choose one view over the other.

George Y.
Industry: Architecture & Planning

What once was great, now is junk

Reviewed on 2014-05-15
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Pros

We started using Archioffice in 2007 in the V8 days. It was a godsend. Despite some minor glitches (it never worked with Quickbooks), the ease of use, the ability for non-computer technical staff to customize templates, and the online user guide and videos (free and easy staff training) made it perfect for a small design office. We soon transitioned all our office management and project paperwork to the system. Support was great (despite the time difference; we are in Australia). They knew their product and got us back on track with minimal stress. It was a solid product, reasonably priced, well supported, and easy to use and customiae.

Cons

But then along came AO2010/2011 (a shift in technology) and the sale to BQE. The party was over. After a painful transition process to AO2011, our data was corrupted, the custom templates we had invested a lot of time setting up stopped working, Outlook sync ceased functioning, etc. The list went on and on, as did the time spent dealing with BQE support, who seemed to have no idea what this product did or how to deal with problems on the spot. They always had to refer to a senior tech somewhere else in the world. 'Wait until AO2013,' they said. 'This will be the best version yet; everything is being sorted out.' So we are trialling AO2013 (yet another shift in technology), and we are so unimpressed. There's more frustration and more time wasted on an office system that we can barely use.

Likelihood to recommend: 1.0/10

Kaye B.
Company size: Self Employed

Reviewed on 2016-08-17
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Pros

The ability to accurately track time and expenses by job/phase, and run the appropriate reports, etc. to evaluate job profitability. Their is a large variety of invoicing template and report template options to choose from.

Cons

Although it has an accounting module, it doesn't do everything that we currently do in QuickBooks so we have been unable to have a fully integrated product at this time.

Barbara L.

Reviewed on 2016-08-06
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Pros

Report Customization Developers. Good Customer Service.

Cons

Billing limitations with respect to Contract Type "Recurring": Minimum billing frequency is weekly; Services default to "BQServiceAmt" and you cannot attach a unique income code similar to activity codes under "Hourly" projects.

Lee P.

I am 20 year old satisfied customer of BQE. Love BillQuick!

Reviewed on 2016-08-04
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Pros

This feature rich software was designed for professional services firms. I love the way i can track my time and expenses on the projects and see a real-time progress of the projects. It makes my PM's life easy and we have seen a dramatic change in the way we are handling the projects and part of the credit goes to BillQuick. Technical support is awesome and they usually go above and beyond call of duty.

Cons

They have great reports but too many report. Consolidation of reports will be a great enhancement.

Karan S.
Industry: Information Technology & Services

BQE Core is a one point solution

Reviewed on 2019-05-29

In nutshell, we are at the stage of learning this software. There is much to offer and the user has to learn to make the best use of Core

Pros

This is one point solution for time and expense, things are integrated and aligned well for both employees and employers to clients

Cons

The time and expense reviewer needs should have a pagination to accommodate the large data set.

Response from BQE Software

Hi Karan
Thank you for your feedback! We are glad you are off to a great experience so far and here to help you further!

Nick D.
Industry: Mechanical or Industrial Engineering

6 months in and it blows us away!

Reviewed on 2018-08-15
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Pros

The time and expense features are the key reasons we started using Core over 6 months ago. It has simplified our accounting process by billing directly to projects and saved time on generating invoices.

Cons

It took a while to configure when you have a large running list of projects. We ultimately had to get support from BQE to setup our database initially, and it took several weeks to get through that process.

Jason G.

Reviewed on 2013-04-04
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Our company uses Billquick 2013 enterprise, Websuite and Agent for employee time, expense entry, billing, and project management. Prior to using Billquick, we managed time and billing using excel - which was a logistical nightmare. Everything is much more efficient and cost effective now.

The software is very well designed, is stable, and feature-rich. Employees tend to understand it quickly. The Websuite functionality allows our employees to enter time and expenses remotely from anywhere which is perfect for our company, as we always have employees in the field.

Billquick offers regular training through monthly free seminars and via online resources. We pay for support which is invaluable, as the support team is very helpful. It never takes more than a couple minutes to contact someone and they normally have the issue fixed quickly.

We have utilized the customization department to create special reports and software layouts that fit with our company's needs. This customization has allowed us to tailor Billquick to our specific needs, rather than struggle with the off-the-shelf layouts.

The only negative is that the background functionality (e.g. setting security, setting up preferences etc.) is rather cumbersome and can be a bit of a learning curve to fully understand.

Fran R.

BillQuick user for over 10 years

Reviewed on 2016-08-02

BillQuick is simple to use for the majority of our employees who do basic time and expense entry. It has user friendly functionality and their online tutorials and webinars help our company maximize the software's capabilities. If I ever have a question or concern their customer service is the best I have experienced.

Cons

Overtime hours are not always flagged correctly. This is not an issue for our company.

Response from BQE Software

Great feedback, Fran. Thanks!

Jenny T.

Billquick Software

Reviewed on 2016-10-06
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

We have been using Billquick since 2008 and have 25 employees entering time and expenses on a daily basis. We also use the accounting package and BillQuick Agent. We did not have a prior accounting software so did not have to go through a conversion process. We have been able to set everything up ourselves with no formal training from Billquick as the software is very easy to use.

Pros

The software is extremely easy to use and it accomplishes everything that we need at an extremely affordable price. Customer support is very good with little to no wait times and usually with a very quick resolution to any problems.

Cons

There is very little to dislike about this product. Once set up and running we have had no real issues.