SugarCRM

Customizable customer relationship management software

3.8 /5 (344 reviews) Write a Review!

Paul H.

• Customer Support Software

Ok application, better, cheaper alternatives exist

Reviewed on 2021-01-21

It is an OK application, Sugar has stood still in time and, when you consider the app out of the box, its pretty much standard. Sugar has divided its stack into various products for marketing, for sales, for support only making it a very expensive when you consider other options in the market

Pros

Very stable, solid
easy to use, administer
Easy to implement and deploy
Reporting is good and allows fro complex reports to be built

Cons

It has not changed in a looong time (perhaps years?)
For the functionality, it is expensive - better options exist
Marketing is poor (unless you go for Sugar marketing apps which are expen$ive!)

Diane R.
  • Industry: Hospitality
  • Used Other for 2+ years

Vote is out on this software

Reviewed on 2020-11-17

We tried using this for months to track a specific product line and to manage our leads and contact information. That product line went away and so did the regular use of this product. We have it as a "back up" for our next test product line, but I'm not sure this is the best choice for us.

Pros

I got the software because it was free. That's always a good thing. At first glance, it seemed like it would be easy to use and an inexpensive fix to a client tracking problem in a new division.

Cons

Difficult to navigate and figure out how it worked. There was no customer service to call on and google searches for fixes proved fruitless. (this may be because we had the free version but if you want to sell me on a product and get me to upgrade, I need to be able to use it)

Joe T.

• Customer Support Software

Great For Sales and Leads Tracking, Leaves Much to Be Desired with Support Case Management

Reviewed on 2017-03-16

I've used SugarCRM a great deal in current and previous employers, and have always been thrilled with the sales tools that SugarCRM has, and the great ability for customizations, not to mention the continuing updates for each version. Their customer support team is top notch and very helpful for the most part, and there has been very little downtime, allowing all our teams to use the product successfully.

If I could choose one thing they could improve upon, it would be their outdated case management tools. I work with our support team and find the options to be limiting compared to other case management solutions such as Zendesk (which I have also used previously). If I am to point out glaring specifics, it would be tracking visibility on unassigned cases (who is viewing each case record? has the case record been updated while I've viewed it?). It would also be the absolute poor setup of getting cases into Sugar -- we have an inbox set to automatically add in cases, but if a customer or one of our personnel doesn't email directly from inside Sugar's Email module, it creates a new case ticket (over and over). This may be a byproduct of the way we have our case management set up, but there are no best practices, and I've had to create custom Process Author tools and Workflows to get it running in a decent way.

Again, the product is great from a sales point of view and for lead tracking tools, but the case management tools are dated and need to be examined and looked at to match their competitors in that category.

Pros

Sales tools, lead tracking tools, reporting features are second to none
Module builder is fantastic and very customizable.

Cons

Case management tools are lacking to a high degree, very dated

Mark S.
  • Company size: 1,001-5,000 Employees

• Customer Support Software

SugarCRM for great for the marketing emails.

Reviewed on 2019-08-09

SugarCRM is so great software because it really help us to taking our sales process more faster. It really allow the small business companies to track sales, invoices, bills and market to our customers in a better way. This CRM is so easy to use just because of its great users interface. Hence, SugarCRM software makes my life so much easier.

Pros

SugarCRM is one of the best marketing platform which really help small business to grow faster and that's why it is also known as the business market smarter software. The best thing about this software is that it always provide the best customer relationships marketing software. We have been use the SugarCRM software foor the sales and marketing purpose because it has the great ability to customization's. Hence, the users interface is very responsive and the well designed.

Cons

The first obvious thing I don't like about this software is that SugarCRM does not have a users-friendly users interface software. The another problem that we faced is that it take a lot of time to setup the everything but the documentations is always great. When we started using this software then we don't find the file manager as so intuitive.

Bud H.
  • Industry: Logistics & Supply Chain

• Customer Support Software

Easy to implement, easy to customize, product support is OUTSTANDING

Reviewed on 2018-02-16

Better Customer Satisfaction from effective management of touch points. Sales productivity because they spend less time doing "paperwork" and more time selling. Effective management of RGA process, Special Quotes, Purchasing, mailing literature, tracking sales activity.

Pros

Built-in development tool (Studio) and the Advanced Workflow Manager. One can have a functional, useful, robust, effective, CRM running within an hour. Getting started by importing Accounts and Contacts is easy and the software modules allows customization the meet specific business needs.

Cons

The Advanced Workflow Manager is still missing a few functions that were available in the "old" Workflow Manager. There is a plan to remove the prior Workflow, but its demise has been delayed until the SugarCRM folks fix the deficiencies.

Jon P.
  • Industry: Financial Services Software

SugarCRM Enterprise Analysis

Reviewed on 2017-03-16

Being an open source CRM app with flexible deployment options makes SugarCRM unique and a standalone in the CRM space. However, allowing for such flexibility should require the utmost discipline regarding release schedules, changes to code (especially caching mechanisms), and overall system recommendation documentation provided by SugarCRM, the company. This is not currently happening.
Stock code base is fairly solid but when customizations are added, significant caching issues arise. There are also various areas of the app that still retain antiquated layouts (bwc modules). These issues make the app confusing and unreliable at times.
Support should be more tenacious when attempting to find resolution to cases - don't just post a note or two, wait a period of time and close the case. CALL the customer - email the customer - do whatever it takes to get CONFIRMATION from the customer that the issue is resolved.
Create a server side integration to Outlook...we are a 50/50 Mac/PC shop and email archiving is incredibly inconsistent.
Overall Studio is a great tool (when caching works appropriately). It does allow us to create without developers on staff.

Pros

Studio (when it works)
Open source flexibility

Cons

Caching mechanisms
Lack of long term release schedule and small version life cycles
Support not owning the initiative of resolving cases

Response from SugarCRM

John,

First off, thanks for being a long time Sugar user. Kasasa's use case is very in-depth and a model of what our flexible platform can achieve.

Regarding the server-side email - have you looked at Riva? https://sugarexchange.sugarcrm.com/apps/21848#!overview Also, I know we are working on server-side versions of the Outlook plugin, but release date is TBD.

Thanks again for your honest and thorough review - we always strive to make the product the best we can and provide the level of service you expect. Email me at any time to discuss further at [email protected]

Sincerely,

Martin Schneider
Head of Product Evangelism, SugarCRM

Jim B.

Sugar user for 5 years

Reviewed on 2017-03-20

Overall, Sugar has worked pretty well for us. As with most customizable software, it is all about the implementer and getting it set up well. If we had worked to get other areas more integrated, I would rate it higher. We are a smaller company (15 users), and do not have a " Sugar champion" other than the president. Reporting module is easy to use, the mobile app is (now) pretty good. We recently looked at the other major CRM apps, and chose to continue with Sugar. We are making some much needed changes to our Sugar instance, which will help with utilization.

Pros

Pretty easy to use, robust mobile app, good reporting.

Cons

Some basic functionality is missing, ie, had to write a custom report/fields to be able to see when the last time a contact was contacted (email, meeting or phone).

Leah S.
  • Industry: Wholesale

• Customer Support Software

I like SugarCRM, we use it in my workplace for many applications

Reviewed on 2017-11-28

An easy way for a business to manage their customers. It can be as custom or out of the box as they want to make it.

Pros

I like that I can add lots of features and functionality myself, including whole new custom modules. As my workplace deals with lots of custom items Sugar fills our custom needs. Our reseller has been fantastic in keeping that custom functionality.

Cons

I dislike that we are able to edit default field formulas at all without an easy "restore." I think this makes it easy for a developer to make a small mistake that can cause the instance to stop being "upgrade safe." I wish customizing the color, notifications and "logos" were easy to change in an ondemand instance. I also want the global search function to be more consistent.

Ifeoma O.
  • Company size: 1,001-5,000 Employees

• Customer Support Software

Sugar is opensource and I love it.

Reviewed on 2018-07-09

Pros

SugarCRM is opensource this gives myself and the technical department in my organization the freedom to develop on this platfrom , without being hindered by technology ,programming language or a restricted API.
Sugar effectively manages every communication we have with sales leads and customers. Over the years ,we have been able to tweak Sugar to work with our internal sales process , thus everyone in the sales and marketing department is glad to work with our in-house improved CRM - Sugar.

Cons

The user interface is outdated ,obviously since it is open source ; it didn't come as a surprise to me. However ,barring this ; the sales department works effectively with Sugar.

Sugar CRM

Reviewed on 2018-09-27

I can do almost everything I need

Pros

What I like most is that we can create reports easier,
I can create new custom fields and add functions.
I like the workflow - I added for send emails to an admin account to report when a opportunitie is closed and is part of a project - and this email creates a new record in my project system.
I can create Modules as I need

Cons

Is very difficult to work with the API´s´, at this moment i cant work with them . and IT Sugar support is not helping me.
The thing i Dont like if you want to create a Report Type:Summary you cannot add the Text Fields, is not showing in the system, this type field in the version 7.0 it was added but in the new version is not there any more, and I reported this to Sugar Support but they do not do anything, I think is a kind of a bug but they are not doing anything.

Alejandro H.
  • Industry: Telecommunications

• Customer Support Software

Have too much to config and set up, rgreat custom stuff but kinda plain and boring

Reviewed on 2018-02-01

if you need an online crm this can do good for you, Others are also less expensive but with less features.

Pros

Is a very good software at least the on-demand version I use. as a CRM is very good but it also tries to be a help desk and it is not. very reliable and love to extract the raw data to excel and do whatever I want with the data

Cons

Much complicated, too much to customize, and configurate, the access levels and roles are not easy to set up. takes times to deploy, and cost per seat, is kinda expensive.

Jeff A.
  • Industry: Sports
  • Used Other for 2+ years

Sugar is SWEET! (See what I did there!)

Reviewed on 2019-10-29

Use Sugar CRM to keep track of client records for 30-40 clients.

Pros

Super easy to set up program. Does a great job at keeping up with client information and tracking history of interactions.

Cons

The videos for training were helpful but oftentimes it appeared that they were for much larger companies than our small 10-20 employee organization.

Valerie P.
  • Used Other for 1+ year

• Customer Support Software

In the past, I have been a SugarCRM administrator for a Software Sales company.

Reviewed on 2018-06-13

The software itself was a great place to house my data in an organized fashion. I was able to report upon the data, and additionally could assign and reassign accounts and contacts with ease. This was a value driven solution for my company at the time, since Salesforce was too pricey.

Pros

There is a lot of simplicity with using SugarCRM. It was straightforward, and user friendly. The value of the product is pretty good for what you are paying, and it is relatively easy to administer. There are different directions you can go with reporting, for example: tabular, summary and matrix report types. I integrated this CRM with Pardot Marketing Automation software and was not disappointed with the integration, as it worked pretty seamlessly together.

Cons

This CRM obviously is more economic than the likes of Salesforce - but you get what you pay for. I found it difficult to manage my duplicate records, and a lot of the bells and whistles that could potentially make your work flow easier are not present. I would consider this a "bare bones" CRM solution.

Howard C.

Not struggling anymore

Reviewed on 2017-03-16

Our company utilizes SugarCRM to track service calls from our client base. We can now refer back to previous calls to monitor equipment efficiency and deficiencies. We can now eliminate the use of a client directory as SUGAR allows us to document all information within the software database. The other huge benefit is we can now automatically dispatch a call directly from the client case we have created. Our technicians receive an email with all information to fill out a service order including a PO number for quick payment. Our help desk has become very streamlined because of SUGAR and we are considering expanding the other options available to departments such as parts and administration. Very pleased with SugarCRM!!

Pros

Very user friendly and always being offered continued education on the use and benefits of the software.

Cons

Sometimes it is overwhelming but that's because there are so many parts and pieces to this software.

Brian R.

• Customer Support Software

We used Sales Force in the past but had issues with shared views, not the case very user...

Reviewed on 2017-12-09

Such a great user-friendly CSR dramatically helped us with our database and email/direct mailers.

Pros

Ability to adapt, user friendly, ability to hold alot of documents per account. We used Sales Force in the past and had issues with shared views with representatives covering shared territory. That has not been the case with Sugar

Cons

phone application needs help. This is the only issue we have noticed it does't take all the required data so they the reps have to add more via PC

Chris G.

Sugar Review

Reviewed on 2017-03-16

I've used many other CRM's (Salesforce, Netsuite, Dynamic) and have found them to be more robust than Sugar. However, I also realize those CRM's are a lot more expensive so I guess you get what you pay for. Overall, I think Sugar is sufficient for what we use it for, which is mainly keeping records of contacts. Our company doesn't utilize all the benefits of Sugar so that falls mainly on us.

Pros

It's failry simple to navigate and the APP is ok too.

Cons

Creating reports seem to be a challenge.

Sandra A.
  • Industry: Management Consulting

A CRM worth it

Reviewed on 2017-10-12

SugarCRM is "the" system every business ,big or small, should incorporate as a true leverage for taking your business far and beyond..

Pros

Flexibility, affordability, portability, cristal clear cost model, user friendly, intuitivity, integrability.. All abilities.

Cons

It will be nice that reporting capabilities where improved.
A bigger apps exchage market place wil be a plus.

Great customized options

Reviewed on 2019-04-30

lowered costs that SF and great customer support

Pros

Costs are lower that SF with overall customization easily adaptible for whatever our sales/marketing group dream up

Cons

The plug-ins at times can be a bit of a pain to sync up against.
I ended up setting up "bcc" email rule that tied my emails back to the crm.

• Customer Support Software

Great reporting capabilities. However, the system has major glitches on a day-to-day basis.

Reviewed on 2018-03-22

Pros

The only reason we keep this program is due to the reporting option and amount of eligible shortcuts.

Cons

There are so many flaws and inconsistencies in this program it's laughable. I would not recommend this system for dispatching purposes. Not user friendly.

Brent C.

• Customer Support Software

Fair prices and good support! Makes my day easier!

Reviewed on 2017-12-08

Pros

Easy To use right away when you log in. It saves your user name and password making it very simple to navigate through the site!

Cons

Searches are not very accurate! When I type in the last 4 digits of a phone number sometimes the search doesn't perform accurately!

Julie R.
  • Industry: Political Organization

Good only small issues

Reviewed on 2017-03-20

I like Sugar CRM as a whole. As an admin the only issue I have is that there isn't much step-by-step instructions or help when it comes to building out tabs or extra fields. Also querying reports is not easily done.

Pros

The ability to have all information in one location

Cons

Reports are difficult to create and run

Jason P.

• Customer Support Software

Sugar is a browser based CRM product that has alot of functionality and is generally a good...

Reviewed on 2018-01-23

Pros

Very flexible product in general and has many capabilities from marketing, sales, quoting, service tracking, projects.

Cons

You need a programmer on staff in order to customize it to maximize the benefits of what it can do for project management.

Rick G.

• Customer Support Software

We utilize Sugar CRM daily with our entire organization.

Reviewed on 2018-05-07

Pros

Ease. You can navigate and manipulate in so many different ways to make things so much easier for your sales team.

Cons

The updates. They aren't frequent, but we can all do without them. Right? other than that, nothing else to say.

Tori W.

Great CRM Tool!

Reviewed on 2018-02-22

Pros

Highly customizable CRM tool that can be easily geared toward any company's customer support ticketing utilities.

Cons

Could be a bit buggy at times, but was never anything that couldn't be resolved in a timely manner.

Kathy M.
  • Industry: Accounting Software

• Customer Support Software

Sugar has been very helpful to our organization. We document every contact we have with our...

Reviewed on 2017-12-08

We are able to pick up where another left off because of notes documented in Sugar

Pros

We document any contact we have with our clients. Anyone in our organization is able to pick up where another left off simply by looking at our notes in Sugar. We don't have to remember what we did last week, month or even last year, instead we simply review our notes.