Paymo

Task Management, Time Tracking, and Accounting for SMBs

4.7 /5 (403 reviews) Write a Review!

Cameron N.

• Customer Support Software

Monopolize you cause you can't export ANYTHING easily

Reviewed on 2020-01-08

Would NOT recommend it to anyone who has even the slightest of "outside the box" process for projects or billing/invoices.

Pros

Yet another system that after several months of use only did what we needed it too at 75% of the way, then AFTER buying into the "huge discount" and special they had going, did I find out they do not allow refunds at all!

If you put ANY data into the system and ever need to export it for any reasons ...find a data entry person and hope you didn't enter a lot of information because unless you are a developer that can setup custom API's...your info is stuck in their system!
You can enter clients, companies, etc. and change view to "Table" and see it in table mode, but that view still only gives you the general company information, NOT the contacts for that company and that is 1 of 2, yes that is right 2 places in the entire system of everything you may have entered where you can download/export that view into Excel/CSV file....everything else is PDF if you are lucky!!

If you are a VERY small, VERY basic bookkeeping/accounting freelancer (NO TEAM, just you and very basic billing) - fine, it may work...but if you have more than 1 person in your team other than you, have different rates or even the SLIGHTEST out of the norm billing or cycles...GOOD LUCK!!!

I am furious with this system after being told what it could do and I explained in detail, and "oh yeah, that is not a problem at all"...only to find out, everything I explained about what we needed, went in one ear and out the other just to make the sale...now I have a barely usable system and wasted $$$$!!

Cons

Can't export anything unless you have a developer standing bye.
System is very "inside the box" thinking even after being told it would easily do what I had explained that I needed it to do
support seems to take longer than usual and they are quick to respond with an answer that has NOTHING to do with what you originally asked (bots maybe?!?!)
Can't get a refund, no matter how many lies they told you to make the sale in the first place!!!

Response from Paymo

Hi Cameron,

Sorry to see you disappointed. Our goal is to help you improve the way you work, not to sell you on something.

Indeed, you can export client, project, user lists, as well as time reports in csv format - invoices and Gantt Charts are available in PDF only.

However, due to the fact that there's no standardised data structure for project management data, the only practical way to export it is via our API.

And no, we're no bots, and don't force anyones hand to make a sale.

Pavol Č.
  • Industry: Arts & Crafts

• Customer Support Software

Paymo is a great software across platforms

Reviewed on 2020-06-16

Paymo helps to organize, plan and report our projects

Pros

Easy to learn, easy to use, with lot of features, super support, progressive software, they add lot of integrations, mobile apps, use via web browser

Cons

Some features wait for upgrade, iPad integration missing

Response from Paymo

Thank you, Pavol!

Can you tell me more about those features that you're talking about?

iPad support is not in our plans atm - sorry!

You can write us at [email protected] and ask for Marcel ;)

Cheers!

David B.

• Customer Support Software

Tracking time and managing payments with agility

Reviewed on 2020-06-16

Back in 2009 we started a fledgling web design company called FreshSpark Creative. Paymo was just starting out and seeking customers, help and ideas. We were able to request certain features which were implemented, the foundations of what would become an excellent working relationship. In 2012 I started my second company and we had 5 full time staff using the platform in 2016. As we became VAT registered we were unfortunately forced to use Xero for our billing to comply with UK regs, but that only demonstrated how good Paymo was - Xero is incredibly sluggish, lots of micromanagement and lacks the quality of design which we strive to portray as a business. We modified the set up of our business to help deal with the issues caused by Brexit and I once again use Paymo for all time keeping and billing. Paymo has been a constant in my professional life as a business director, alongside Google Mail and Google Cal.

Pros

Fast and effective management of time and resources. I love how easy it is to log time, create invoices and complete all my accounting obligations as a UK business owner quickly and stylishly.

Cons

I guess my biggest dislike is the new timesheets view, the hitboxes on the time entries seem to be slightly out of sync with the visual modules. Also as I have been using the software for over 10 years, there is a lot of old data which I cannot remove in bulk.

Response from Paymo

Thank you, David!

We also have a Google Calendar integration, check it here: https://help.paymoapp.com/en/articles/3545290-google-calendar-integration

As for time tracking, you can now copy/paste time records inside the timesheets area - be sure to try it out!

Please submit the bulk time entry selection suggestion on our community forum: https://community.paymoapp.com/

Usually, the most upvoted ones get built.

Leonardo L.

• Customer Support Software

Simple and beautiful online solution to handle my small design business time tracking needs.

Reviewed on 2018-05-29

The main reason for switching to this software is that it allowed my entire team to track time. After using the software for a few months, there have been several benefits from using the software:
- Interface is very clean and allows to track much more data that I was able to do before.
- As stated in the pros, one of the best feature of the software is that it allows users to create task lists individual for each project. This allows our office to set up each project exactly per the contract. This keeps a tight control on the time spent on the project and allows tracking of additional services that are not part of the original contract.
- I am working on the invoice template for the office. If i am able to set this up correctly, invoicing time would be reduced significantly each month.
- The ability to track time directly out of the windows environment is great.
- I am not using the time tracking feature on my phone, mostly because i spend a lot of time sitting at a desk, however other people in the office are using this feature and are happy with it.
- Next step for us is to start implementing control on billable hours per user. This will allow us to control billable time and help organize employee time and work.

Pros

I have looked at several options for my company and decided on Paymo for the following reasons:
- The software has a very clean and intuitive interface
- One of the best features is how you can customize how projects are set up and tracked. You generate a task list that is checked off as you move trough the project. This is an amazing feature that organizes the project while it tracks it. It took a lot of effort to re-design how my company tracks project but in the end I am very happy with results.
- Pricing system is fair and scalable.
- The software comes with a windows desktop application. It also has a more advanced feature where it automatically calculates how your time is used -I have not tired this yet because I don't think it would work for my office.
- The ability to enter the time on a weekly calendar is fantastic. The software also has a bulk time add feature if needed.
- I am able to export all of the data in CSV format
- You are able to invoice directly out of the software - I have not been able to set up this feature yet but i am working with the support team to figure out how to make it work for my company.
- The software has several features that I have not been able to implement yet.
- Customer support has been great, answer is usually within an hour or two directly from the developers.

Cons

Below is a list of some of the limitations i have encountered using the software.
- The calendar time-sheet input is great, but it should allow drag-paste feature. This would make entering time so much faster. Not a deal breaker, because in the end time input is fairly quick.
- I was not able to import the data from my previous time-sheet software. I would like to see the option to import bulk time from an excel spreadsheet if needed. This is not a critical feature, but I have several years worth of data, that for now have to keep in a different software.
- The software comes with some standard invoice formats, it does take some effort to create custom templates. Architectural service invoices tend to be fairly complicated, I have not been able to set up the invoices as I would like yet. Support is working with me on this issue, so hopefully I can report back once I have it all setup.
- You can create custom reports for anything you want, so getting the data out is not a problem however I find that the process is a bit more tedious than what I was accustomed to before. To be fair I still need to learn the software.

Response from Paymo

Hi Leonardi,

You can use click and drag in Timesheets in the Day and Week view to create new time entries.

Data can be imported/exported by using our API.

You can also clone time reports, so after you get your desired settings for one report, you can clone it and only change some of the settings.

Federico D.

• Customer Support Software

All the features to manage my work, projects and invoicing

Reviewed on 2020-03-16

First of all, Paymo is easy to begin to use. I need to keep a record of the time and tasks I execute in the projects I work, but also I need to invoice my clients. Some invoice should be sent recurring, so I needed that feature. Also, I found that Paymo have an API to import my current clients and projects.

Pros

I was using another sowftware but no new features were realeased during years and the support was inexistent. Then I searched for another software to help me to organize my work and tested a lot of options. Paymo was perfect for what I was looking for and the support service was always ready. Also, since I was using the software new features were realeased.

Cons

It was not easy to understand how the recurring invoices work, so I have to read some help documents. I think that general usability is good, but I think that some features should be made more easy to use.

Response from Paymo

Thank you, Federicoo! Can you write us on our community forum (https://community.paymoapp.com/) about how we can improve recurring invoices and the other features you have in mind?

We're always open for feedback :)

Aaron D.

• Customer Support Software

Paymo is great for time tracking and more!

Reviewed on 2018-05-22

Paymo makes tracking time a breeze with great management features and role capabilities. Absolutely love the granular control on the reports and ability to manage users, projects, tasks and more. Support has always been super helpful - only contacted them twice in the last 4 years though...so that should say something. Shop approved!

Pros

We've been using Paymo in our web development shop now for years. We love the time tracking widget and always have it up on our desktops or phone to track the time we spend bouncing from project to project. Forgot to turn off the timer? No problem - can easily fix it and be on your way. Setting up projects, tasks, user management - all a breeze. The Paymo team keeps coming out with new features and what used to be just a time tracking tool is now becoming a full on project management tool. We're actually looking to expand how we use Paymo very soon...

Cons

For how we're using it right now, we don't use all the project management features and have found that PaymoWidget 4.0.19 actually works better for what we need presently. As we move our org forward though, we'll be adopting their newest widget.

Krystian S.

Good PM tool

Reviewed on 2020-04-10

Very good

Pros

We were looking for a simple tool that will combine simplicity of usage together with a lot of features (PM, Tracking, Reporting, Financial Overview) and fast at the same time. Paymo did it!

Cons

Nothing, the app is doing a great job.

Response from Paymo

Thank you, Krystian! We've added the possibility to copy/paste a time entry inside the Timesheets module.

Check it out, as well as our Team Scheduling module (if you haven't already): https://help.paymoapp.com/en/collections/34726-team-scheduling

It makes the resource allocation much easier for teams of 10+, displaying workloads, availabilities, and leave days on the same timeline.

Cheers,

Maral P.

• Customer Support Software

Paymo for prime minister!

Reviewed on 2020-05-19

I've have started using Paymo 6 years ago as a freelancer, I've seen the product evolve over time and I have to say - it has revolutionised my personal and professional life. Today I am a studio director and continue using it.

Pros

What I love is the ability to create custom workflows (that's great when you have different types of projects), I've also opted into the Gantt chart features - great help as soon as you're working with more than one person and on bigger projects. The customer support is RAPID and knowing that I'm speaking to good humans is that authentic extra that many other platforms lack. If you have a small screen you can collapse navigation bars - I didn't know I needed that until that ft was released.

Cons

I haven't found anything I don't like yet.

Response from Paymo

Had a great laugh when I read your review title "Paymo for PM" =)))

More video tutorials will be coming soon, so who knows - you might discover more "hidden" nuggets.

For now, here's one on my behalf: you can copy/paste time entries inside the Timesheets module - give it a try!

Kind regards,

Adam C.

Good Product but needs to be Streamlined

Reviewed on 2020-07-14

There are plenty of things to like about Paymo. Despite the issues I came across I still rate the product above other major tracking software.

Pros

Easy to see how much time I worked on any given project.

Cons

My major issue is that there were plenty of times I wanted to simply duplicate or copy over time I forgot to enter and couldn't because I wasn't given the option. Maybe that has been fixed since I have used this product, however. The timeline for viewing schedules was very hard to use and my team and I just oped to ignore our managers push to use Paymo's timeline scheduling and use google calendar.

Response from Paymo

Hey Adam!

Thanks for the honest feedback. We actually already have the option to copy/paste time entries inside the Timesheets module, be sure to check it out!

Not sure why the Team Scheduling was hard to use, can you give us more details at [email protected]?

A task calendar view is in the works, which will allow you to see task durations on a timeline (including recurring ones). Sign up for the open beta here: https://community.paymoapp.com/t/open-calendar-view-private-beta-testers-needed/1981/19

John D.

• Customer Support Software

Paymo is very user friendly and intuitive.

Reviewed on 2018-05-14

The software saved lots of time on repetative non-billable tasks. It gives us more control over data and helps us narrow our focus on the parts of projects that need more efficiency.

Pros

Paymo is easy to learn, manage, and use. The price is right for most any size company and the core features are well tuned. It has saved time when preparing timesheets each week and helps us track our hours very efficiently. In a service based industry, a software like Paymo takes the uncertainty out of knowing whether or not you are on target.

The ability to gather vast amounts of data in seconds really has helped analyze our effectiveness at estimating and highlight areas for improvement.

The software's permissions setup and general user interactions are much more suited to a company that has competent employees, unlike competitors like T-sheets (quickbooks). Other time trackers tend to assume the employees are incapable of managing their timesheet and set up a lot of rules that act as roadblocks to efficiency. Paymo maintains control without becoming overbearing.

Cons

The built-in invoicing feature is a little difficult to fully customize. It has "custom" options, but they are not full control. It does allow for custom coding for invoice generation which we are doing now, but this requires someone on staff who is fairly well versed in HTML and other scripts/codes.

I wish that Paymo would talk directly with a desktop version of Quickbooks, but it does work with Quickbooks Online through Zapier Apps.

Karolina schilling - U.

Love Paymo for its simplicity

Reviewed on 2020-06-16

I really like Paymo and would recommend it to any freelancer and small teams.

Pros

I like Paymo and finally, after trying out many other tools, found it the best for time tracking AND invoicing. I'm not willing to use several tools and export/import times only to be able to invoice them. So there was Paymo - easy to use, simple design, easy configuration, time tracking AND the bloody invoicing!

Cons

Only the mobile app. It's not very nice in usage and mobile you do not need all that features. Could be simplier and easier to use.

Response from Paymo

Kudos Karolina!

Indeed, the mobile app will get collaboration features such as task assignment, rich task details, and comments with the next release.

It's something that we're currently working on, so stay tuned!

Claire C.
  • Industry: Management Consulting

Paymo for start-ups

Reviewed on 2015-06-09

I started a business earlier this year. My budget was very tight, but I also knew what I needed in terms of a time tracking app. I searched around for a free app, and found Paymo after trying a few others first.

Paymo was the easiest to start using immediately and had the functionalities I needed. Even the free version of it had what I was looking for.

Actually, the app gave me more than I was looking for. The best part of it? It provides all the functionality you need but also doesn't take forever to learn how to use. That's important to me, because I just don't have the time to study all the apps I need.

Soon, I will become a paying client, but I am writing this out of gratitude. I am amazed that Paymo offers a free version and it's definitely the one I will stick with when I can afford to start paying for the upgraded version.

Thank you Paymo, for helping a small start-up company like mine!

Pros

1. Functionality - it has everything you need
2. The support is outstanding and fast
3. It is simple to use and to figure out
4. Allows me to add my own logo to reports
5. Allows me to add time manually
6. Allows me to show exactly what I am busy with

Cons

It may very well be my own fault for not going through any tutorials, but the only draw-back of the app (it could also be due to me using the free version) is that I have to delete the project each week so that the report will look as I want it to in terms of the hours.

What would make things easier for me (this could also be my own fault for not checking a tutorial) is if I did not need to add new tasks in weekly because I delete last week's project for reporting purposes.

Please excuse me if this is my own fault - it could be, so don't take my word for it as far as the cons go!

Isaac K.

• Customer Support Software

Best Project Management + Timekeeper App!

Reviewed on 2020-06-16

Overall the experience has been great. Their system is consistent and stable and has never failed me in 5+ years.

Pros

When I started with Paymo I needed a solid timekeeper app for my client work. They were a great option so I went with them and eventually started using more project management features. Today Paymo is an essential part of my work from timekeeping, project + client management & invoicing.

Cons

I never really had any dislikes with the software, it really fulfilled everything I needed and currently need with it's features!

Response from Paymo

Thank you, Isaac!

An improved client portal with in-app access users is something we're actively developing, so stay tuned!

Santiago L.

Paymo was my solution

Reviewed on 2020-06-27

I have had a very good experience.
meets what I need perfectly.
I see that they are always updating, adding or improving the functionalities, and the support is always good, with quick responses.

Pros

the widget! I can track time perfectly in all projects.
I can make invoices automatic for each client without losing any hour.

Cons

I have nothing to dislike about the application. there are many functionalities which I don't use. so I don't know if they work as I would expect.

Response from Paymo

Happy to know that we've automated invoices for you and made your job less stressful *hug*

Stephanie L.

Timesheet and project admin

Reviewed on 2020-03-16

Good. Again, easy to use with minimal training

Pros

Ease of user interface, ability to see time spent on task, seeing how other's are performing on their task

Cons

nothing yet, still too new to the software to really see any issues as I mostly use the software for time management and project schedule.

Response from Paymo

We've just released a new time tracking feature: the ability to copy-paste a time entry inside the Timesheets area.

Be sure to check it out!

Leshante H.
  • Industry: Management Consulting

• Customer Support Software

Time Tracking, Invoicing, and More...All In One!

Reviewed on 2016-07-21

For a few years, I've been using Paymo and it has become an essential part of project management for our business. We're able to keep our project, client and time reports organized, as well as files and invoices...yes they offer an easy invoicing system that integrates with the tasks and projects created very well. So, they've been good to us and are constantly improving to keep up with the needs of their customers!

Pros

Everything I listed in my experience, as well as the other features like team collaboration (that we haven't tried yet, but are going to in the coming months)

Cons

Without the invoice add-on, you only have the option to create one invoice per month...I wish it were at least 2 :(

Gary S.

One of my 'must haves'

Reviewed on 2016-11-14

As a freelance programmer I've tried and/or used a whole range of tracking and project management software over the past 20 years or so but Paymo has come as close to the perfect solution for me as I'm ever likely to find.

Pros

I use the Mac widget most of the time. I find logging in to online services irritating so Paymo is perfect. Everything goes in via the (unobtrusive widget) and I log in to the Paymo website maybe once or twice a month to create reports. The time tracking reports are very professional and easy to create.

Cons

I can't think of any other than maybe that it doesn't have a cup of coffee ready for me in the morning :)

• Industry: Media Production

One of the best kanban boards.

Reviewed on 2019-12-31

Paymo is one of my best options to manage a project. Its simple and multiple styles of showing project is good. The invoice lets you get paid from your customer which is a big deal.

Pros

One of my first priority is kanban board not because it's best because that's simple to understand for newcomer and needs no training.
The simple dashboard and demo data give an idea about the application workflow which is great.
The nested task list is very good and it is easy to assign tasks to another member.
Controlling all the task is very simple with paymo, I worked as a member and now I have my own project in paymo.
For managing a solo project managing is just a breeze. I started with a small photoshop project and it helps me to get the billing hours more efficiently.

Cons

The demo project is ok but I needed a kill switch for it. Deleting the demo data and retain everything else.
Else it is perfect.

Response from Paymo

You've hit the nail on its head, Kanban is indeed the best way to teach a newcomer about task management in general.

You can actually delete the demo project if you go inside the project settings.

Were you refering to the onboarding process? If yes, then you're right on time, since we're currently revamping it to contain an opt-out option as well.

Thank you again for your time!

Riaan F.
  • Industry: Media Production

• Customer Support Software

Admin software for people who dont like admin

Reviewed on 2019-07-08

I have been using Paymo for 8+ years, software is fantastic but what makes the actual difference is the tech-support. Paymo rocks. End of Story. :)

Pros

Converting my time spent to invoice with a couple of clicks

Cons

Not being able to manage / delete multiple invoices and estimates.

Response from Paymo

Good catch for the review title, Riian!

You can in fact select multiple invoices and change their status (void would count as deleted) in the Invoices Table View: https://help.paymoapp.com/en/articles/3065019-invoices-table-view

Hope this helps!

Ionut C.

Just what we needed

Reviewed on 2020-06-17

Paymo helped me free up time spent on invoices and time tracking and allowed me to focus more on my work

Pros

Paymo gave exactly what i needed. A easy to use timesheet feature with a built in time tracker + the ability to take tasks and time spent per task and add those to the invoice. No more manual calculations of the time spent and time wasted creating invoices

Cons

mobile app is lacking the timesheet feature

Response from Paymo

The next release of the mobile version will include features like task assignment, rich task details, and comments.

Not sure if the full timesheet will be available (there's not too much screen space on a smartphone), but the mobile app will definetly be improved (currently under development in fact :D ).

Anne-marie R.

• Customer Support Software

Excellent project management software! Highly Recommended!

Reviewed on 2016-03-09

I have been using Paymo for about a year now and it has changed my productivity for the better. As a Freelance PA/Project Manager I work for different companies so it is imperative that I can track my time spent on different projects and tasks. Paymo does this easily and with no fuss.

Paymo is easy to set up and use. The free trial is perfect for trying out Paymo. I did just that initially and was so impressed that I had to continue with the paid version of Paymo.

Once Paymo had been set up and customised I could just log onto Paymo each day and easily track time. It is easy to switch between projects too. Paymo has an overview of hours worked, unbilled amounts, milestones, discussions etc so easy to see at a glance progress per project.

At the end of each month I use Paymo to easily invoice my clients. Just one click of a button to invoice unbilled time, check the invoice and send by email! Easy. Paymo then keeps a list of invoices sent out which can be updated to show status. The invoice itself looks very professional and I easily added a company logo. There are custom settings to save the text to be used when sending out invoices.

Customer Service is impeccable, on the few occasions I have needed to ask a question I have had fast, helpful responses and have always been dealt with very professionally and quickly.

I highly recommend using this project management software, it is time saving, quick, easy and can do an awful lot to assist with the admin side of running a business. I wouldn't be without it! Thank you Paymo!

Kelsey M.

The Best Time Tracking Software Available

Reviewed on 2016-09-08

We have a unique company that has to track our time very diligently. Paymo is the first all-inclusive tracking software we have found that works for us. Before, it took us three custom spreadsheets, two software applications and a lot of time to dump all of the data into yet another software application, to keep track of all of our times properly for all of our various client projects. I love that they also have an expense and invoice feature, as well as a quick start-and-stop stopwatch. We've tried several of the others that claim to be able to handle what we do, but they've fallen short every time. Paymo hasn't and we've been using them for several months. What I love most are the super easy to create and simple look of the reports you can create. They even have a link to send the report to the client, which is so useful for us when customers are curious about their bill. I can say this software is great for teams as big as ten employees (could be more, but I can't attest to that as we are a small company). We currently have 20 clients and several internal projects, and it handles all of them seamlessly. We can assign and set hours to our employees and color code each project so you can quickly see what has been taking the most amount of everyone's time.

Michael E.

• Customer Support Software

Used Daily for Approx 4 years.

Reviewed on 2017-02-06

I've used Paymo for the last 4 years for time tracking and invoicing of clients in freelance and work from home use. I don't use all of its features, but love that it has built in invoicing linked to paypal, can handle multiple currencies and makes recording my hours a breeze!

Pros

Works well, does what it says it does.

Cons

Price went up recently, but still value for money.

Melka G.
  • Industry: Investment Banking

Paymo - A Great Software for Project Management

Reviewed on 2020-06-16

Pros

Very easy to use and friendly interface with an insightful dashboard.
Great customer service!

Cons

It will be great having a budget burn function in terms of value and percentages, to get insight on the profitability of projects.

Response from Paymo

Thank you, Melka!

Indeed, the cost burndown/profitability function would be great. It's on our list, but other features with more impact for the whole community take priority (like a task calendar view, for example).

Please upvote this suggestion on our community forum: https://community.paymoapp.com/t/project-and-team-members-profit/1454

Best,

Alexa S.
  • Industry: Writing & Editing

• Customer Support Software

Paymo is the app i need to use every day to track my time

Reviewed on 2020-06-25

Pros

Paymo is really a great application. I was not convinced to work with Asana or Trello to manage my personal work flow. With Paymo, I found everything I needed: a CSM to manage my leads and my clients, a to do list to put my tasks in order, a project manager to take notes during my discussions with customers. In addition, I was able to link Paymo to Quickbook to transform my quotes into an invoice. Now, I track all of my time to find out exactly how much time I spend on my customer contracts and my personal business.

Cons

I don't like the IOS configuration. It's not so complete than the web app.

Response from Paymo

Happy to hear that you're enjoying Paymo, Alexa :)

The mobile app will include task assignments, rich task details, and comments, so it will be more up to par with the web one. What other features would you like to see in it?

Cheers!