AppFolio Property Manager Reviews

AppFolio Property Manager

4.5 (1,891)
Write a Review!
Cloud-based property management software.

(1,891)

K David
K David

Long Time User Still Enamorede

Reviewed on 2021-07-06

We have been using for over eight years with no plans to change. The software continues to improve, often from user comments and experiences.

Pros

AppFolio's user interface is the best in the business. They're short development cycle offers continued platform improvements. The software does every we need as a small owner/operator.

Cons

The lack of an open API. Support not as responsive as it was.

Entrata, Rent Manager, Yardi Voyager and Buildium

Reasons for Choosing AppFolio Property Manager

Better user interface and price point.

Reasons for Switching to AppFolio Property Manager

Best in class, elegant user interface, responsive design, early to market (we made decision eight years ago).
Sean

• Customer Support Software

A must-have for any property management company

Reviewed on 2022-08-26

AppFolio has been great overall. The product does have a steep learning curve. It took at least 6 months for our whole team to get comfortable using the software, but once they bought into it, it has completely transformed the way we do business.

Pros

Online rent payments, online maintenance requests, customizable reports, robust accounting features, dedicated support team, software is constantly evolving.

Cons

eCheck payments being returned as NSF when they shouldn't be, credit card payments are able to be cancelled months later after we've already given the money to the owner, owners aren't able to sign leases through their portal, steep learning curve.

Rentec Direct, Yardi Voyager and Buildium

Reasons for Choosing AppFolio Property Manager

We used QuickBooks prior to getting AppFolio. As a property database, QuickBooks was highly limited. The accounting features in QuickBooks are fine, but we were overwhelmed with the amount of rent checks we had to handle every month. And QuickBooks does not help at all with keeping track of work orders. As the size of our staff and the size of our portfolio both started to grow, it soon became evident that we needed a software solution that was specifically designed for property managers, rather than a generalized business software like QuickBooks.

QuickBooks Online

Reasons for Switching to AppFolio Property Manager

I read a lot of reviews for various property management software solutions, and most of them pointed to AppFolio as being the best one. It might not be the cheapest one, but in my opinion it is well-worth the investment.
Tara
Tara

• Customer Support Software

Sad to be looking elsewhere.

Reviewed on 2018-08-11

Initially, I was thrilled with Appfolio. They had live support, and same day follow up calls when submitting tickets. Suggestions on the user forum were implemented, or at the very least, were updated by Appfolio so we knew they were aware and cared. None of that anymore, but we are regularly being innundated with value added junk that we can pay for if we want it or obscure improvements that seem pretty specialized/not broadly impactful. Meetups, etc. are heavily geared toward sales/recruitment and have virtually no value for current clients. I was fine with shrugging my shoulders as this is often how things go with growing companies, but looking completely unprofessional to my tenants/owners due to unreliable email/text, suppressed fee accounting/commingling problems (that are legit problems, not user error), and confusing owner statements have me in talks to switch. Property managers are dealing with stigma to start with - I don’t need my management software making my company look unreliable/unprofessional/untrustworthy on top of it. Not to mention - I dread having to explain during a state audit why income is “suppressed” from owner reporting.

Pros

Extremely easy to navigate/train employees to use, tenant rent payment/owner contributions are free with ACH, application-move in flow is smooth, mobile app works well, available property postings look great on my website.

Cons

Suppressed fees amount to commingling, and that is so bad. It could easily be resolved and the idea has lots of votes in the forum yet it remains unaddressed. Not to mention, suppressed application fees can be passed on to an owner before you need to refund the fee depending on the timing and that leads to a nightmare of accounting, and having to explain to an owner why you are unprofessionally having to withhold the money in the next month. I tried to get help from support to no avail (it was repeatedly blown off as user error) so then I started going to their live meetups when they came to town begging for help from support in person to make it clear it is not user error. That led to more dissmissal from user support as being due to user error, so I finally said I wasn’t taking no for an answer. After talking to tons of people, I finally got a support person who understood what I was saying, and all they could offer was a VERY time consuming work-around. The integrated email/text feature often fails and does not notify you that it failed causing huge problems. Notification emails when a lead inquires have started being unreliable. If tenants wait too long to respond to an email I sent via appfolio, they are told the thread has expired. Since every email sent from appfolio is sent from a different spammy looking email address, I get frustrated tenants asking which of the 15 email addresses they should use to reach me. Owner statements are confusing to owners.

Response from AppFolio

Hello Tara, thank you for taking the time to leave this review. We understand your frustration and we are glad that you were able to talk through these items with one of the managers on our Customer Success Team. Based on your business practices, not consistently paying our your suppressed fees seems to have caused an issue with your owner's statements. We hope, after speaking with a manager, you will be able to establish a good cadence of paying these in order to avoid error in the future. We take our client feedback seriously and take all of it into consideration when building and improving new features. We hope you will stick with us and continue to provide this vital feedback.

Alison

• Customer Support Software

Appfolio is great! But on the pricey side

Reviewed on 2024-02-08

I still compare my new property management software that we use to Appfolio. There are things I miss about it, but both have their pros and cons. However, with competitors offering equivalent software functionality while also being cheaper, we ultimately chose to switch to a different company for our property management software needs.

Pros

Appfolio is ubiquitous and versatile in its uses, and its design is easy to figure out and navigate. I most frequently used it for keeping track of rent payments, communications with tenants, track/generate/sign leases, and for tenants to use its tenant portal.

We liked that tenants were able to pay their rent at 7-11. Surprisingly, a high percentage of tenants opted to do this as opposed to setting up payments via credit card on their tenant portal.

The software itself ran smoothly, had no shortages or timeouts in the 6 years we used it, and didn't take up a lot of memory to run on our computers. We liked the phone app as well.

Cons

The company I worked for did not use the banking and accounting elements of the software to their full potential, due difficulties with the owners using Plaid via Appfolio to connect to their bank accounts, as well as privacy concerns with other owners who used the software as well. This made accounting/reconciliation difficult.

The cost of the software is what ultimately lead us to decide to go with a different property management software. We could get all the same functionalities except two , plus more privacy, for 2/3 of the cost with a different property management software.

One thing we really like about our new software that Appfolio doesn't have is the ability to sign documents besides the lease within a Docusign subplatform within the software, which is a feature we really like and will use extensively in our new property management software.

Traci

Appfolio

Reviewed on 2022-11-28

I do enjoy it, the customer services has been amazing to work with. We are still getting used to the program, and how to best use it.

Pros

I like the ease of use, and the easy access for tenants. I love the dashboard, and unit turn. It would be nice to see some tweeks on the dashboard to make it more personable. Texting feature is by far our favorite.

Cons

The way deposits are processed. We run ours in/out of that account. I don't like that it meshes into the owners account and makes their reports really sloppy and full of info they don't want to be bothered with. I wish the owners reports were easier, P & L version is the ones my owners like, but they are really difficult in appfolio, becuase they are 1-31st of the month only.

Reasons for Choosing AppFolio Property Manager

We had the really old version of yardi and did alot of our stuff with paper trails. It was time to update and get on cloud

Reasons for Switching to AppFolio Property Manager

I liked the online signature option, and the texting
Yan
Yan

• Customer Support Software

Great product and really terrible support

Reviewed on 2019-07-18

It is a tough call because the product is good. We migrated from Yardi and don't regret it BUT if I knew how weak the support team and the nightmare that we would have (for 7 months we couldn't reconcile bank accounts and the "boarding team" simply vanished) I would most likely have stayed with Yardi.

Pros

The software is definetly the right product. It is intuitive and very easy to use. Having used Yardi for 10+ years this product is simply outstanding. It is definitely not even close to what you can do in Yardi, but for 90% of what most of us do, it is allot easier and quicker then Yardi.

Cons

The company is suffering from a very bad support team. When they sell you the product it almost seems that these guys mastered the art of eSupport and you can solve problems with a click. This couldn't further from the truth. For most of the "how to" problems they are quick to respond and usually send you a quick article on how to. The problem becomes when you have a real problem, like late fees simply not posting the correct amounts at the wrong dates, or bank account balances don't add up...in general bigger problems call for a "we will put our head in the sand and hope it goes away" mentality.

Angie
Angie
  • Industry: Management Consulting

Appfolio for Property Management

Reviewed on 2019-10-29

I have worked with Appfolio since 2012. I would recommend it for its ease of use. If you are a small company and do not have daily IT support to train your employees this is a great program for you. The tutorials are very easy to use for training.

Pros

Very user friendly with tutorials handy at the click of your mouse.
I really like the fact that the marketing and advertising of vacant units is tied to the software. It makes it really streamlined when posting ads and managing pictures and changes to the market rents.

Cons

I do not like that you cannot customize the user individually. I came from Yardi and you could pick specific tasks that the employee could access. It is too generic when it comes to the user roles. Example: A leasing agent can post money but not close the deposit? Employees have too much access to information that should be confidential.

Reasons for Switching to AppFolio Property Manager

Price was competitive. The main feature that impressed me was the able to streamline many features in one program such as processing background and rental apps, advertising, etc.
Cassie

• Customer Support Software

Started put ok until they started adding fees

Reviewed on 2023-09-15

Pros

Like the website they built for us that integrates with the software.

Cons

Software is ok but very unhappy with their business practices so far. We switched around 1000 units to them a year ago. One of the selling points for us was that they promised no charge to our tenants for ACH payments. We even signed a 2 year contract to "lock in" our price. Not even a year into that contract we were told that we can either begin paying $1 per unit per month to continue to offer our tenants free ACH or pass it on to them to pay a fee every time they pay online. We have made complaints and even had our lawyer contact them and all they have responded is that they will run it up the flag pole. We are definitely looking at switching companies as soon as we find the right fit.

Reasons for Choosing AppFolio Property Manager

We had outgrown our old software.

Reasons for Switching to AppFolio Property Manager

We felt like it was going to be a great fit for our company for the price. We are now being charged an additional $1400 per month on top of the regular month fee just so our tenants can make ach payments online free of charge.
Nanette
Nanette

• Customer Support Software

Could not manage as efficiently without Appfolio

Reviewed on 2019-10-09

Everyday accounting and management tool that we could not do without. This is a huge benefit to our team , tenants and owners.

Pros

Ease of use. Organized. Forward thinking and always updating with new features. Love many aspects including listing rentals, screening applicants, managing daily, tenant communication.

Cons

Owners do not have the ability to make folders for shared docs. Scheduling showings is great but glitchy, still requires too much manual input and has no ability to schedule in bulk. We work with this because the rest of the software is superb.

Frank
Frank

Solid, Full-featured system for RE investors and PMCs

Reviewed on 2021-04-06

The software works great, from your first property to your 400th, so it's easy to scale with.

Pros

Easy to use, on the cloud, has everything you need to run a RE business, from payments to ticketing to accounting. Love the PayNearMe integration.

Cons

Totally closed system (no open API), so it's impossible to integrate other things with. Their in-house call center is expensive and poor value for the money, considering wait times.

Rent Manager, Yardi Voyager and Buildium

Reasons for Switching to AppFolio Property Manager

Already was familiar with the software, and it had a modern-interface. Also wasn't desktop-based, like Rent Manager is/was.
Mary

Best Software EVER!

Reviewed on 2019-08-27

From the beginning it was easy to migrate our data, and we never looked back. It is so awesome for our boss to be out in the field, call us to ask a question - then say never mind "It is all right here on AppFolio" on his phone or tablet. Easy to find just what you are looking for and the Support/Help system is the best I have ever experienced in a software. On line CHAT is a lifesaver.

Pros

User friendly & intuitive. The app and online log in for tenants and owners is a game changer. The vendors and work order flow is excellent. Accounting is similar to quickbooks, everyone get it. Unlimited support (for FREE - who offers that?), an excellent online help "System" There are videos, online articles, training you attend live online and/or watch at any time on specific topics. There is a user community for help too. What other software allows you to "Vote" on things you want your software to do - and the programmers work on the request with the most votes. Amazing!! Thank you AppFolio

Cons

That I had to suffer through YARDI for so long before I found AppFolio and we switched.

Reasons for Choosing AppFolio Property Manager

Yardi was awful - cumbersome - every time we ran a report the numbers were different????? What??? and when there was a problem they caused - with some "Update" - they charged me when I called for support to help figure out why the same thing I had been doing for a year now no longer worked due to their "Update".

Reasons for Switching to AppFolio Property Manager

They had the best all around package, reviews and very competitive pricing
Kendell

Our experience with Appfolio

Reviewed on 2019-09-24

We used to have to make lots of phone calls and texts with people that want to see our vacancies. Now they can schedule viewings on our web site. We used to have applicants fill out paper applications. Then we would type in much of the information in the credit reporting software so we could run credit reports. Now, applicants complete an online application and we click a button to run the credit and background reports. Once we approve the applicant, we click a button to move them over as the tenants of the unit. It automatically emails and text's them a link to their own tenant portal where they can pay rent online and make maintenance requests online. Appfolio is like having one or two employees that don't need to use the restroom, take breaks or that you have to have workers comp insurance on or pay employment taxes for, etc. It truly is a great solution for property managers.

Pros

I love how easy it is to advertise our vacancies. Then the interested parties can schedule viewings and apply for the property right from our web site. Once we select a tenant, we can transfer all of their information from their application over to make them our active tenant with the click of a button. I love how easy it is for tenants to pay their rent online or at pay stations and it goes directly into our bank account and calculates the management fees.

Cons

The reports could be a little better. On multiple units, the reports don't break down the expenses by unit number very well. So, the owners aren't able to tell on their reports what a management fee charge was for because the charge isn't broken down by unit number. As a result, we get calls from upset owners and our accounting department has to create reports outside of the software to make sure the owners are satisfied. This takes extra time when the software could easily break down these expenses if it was programmed to do so. Our accounting department said that the bookkeeping side of the software could be better.

Reasons for Choosing AppFolio Property Manager

Appfolio had more features and was more user friendly.

Buildium

Reasons for Switching to AppFolio Property Manager

It seemed to be much more user friendly and had more features that would work best for us.

Response from AppFolio

Thank you for your review, Kendall! We appreciate the feedback.

Cassandra

Good choice

Reviewed on 2019-10-09

I'm quite happy, overall. Integrations is my biggest challenge and what would drive me to leave, if I were to predict a reason. I'm having no issue working around it, but I'm about creating efficiencies which I feel like I am restricted from doing. So far it's been something I'm willing to work around since we're small and they have so many other great things about them.

Pros

We were on a somewhat antiquated system, so improvement was easy to recognize. AppFolio does a lot of things well. It improved connection with residents AND our ability to have better records both for tenants and for staff (liability support/reduction), and much easier for staff to know what is happening across the board with any one resident or prospect. We are still learning! The transition was fast and friendly. Loved their tenant liability option.

Cons

1) OnBoarding was very tech-oriented and a challenge to adapt easily because staff is working on a calendar. I have some a-ha moments that i just couldn't get the OnBoarding team to understand (even though they were very capable folks) because in this tech world, it's either a or b, there is no c option. Well, later I'm finding the c option IS available.
2) They make frequent updates, and communicate them well. The challenge is working them into your schedule to understand so you can stay on top of them because your team will do the same---someone needs to know them.
3) Other updates seem to be in holding status for way too long, when they'd help users so much.
4) Our biggest complaint is AppFolio's unwillingness to work with other software integrations. They really cripple my ability by being so protective of.....whatever it is. Most other softwares integrate fine. They do so much so well, I feel like it's time to stop being so proprietary. That would change any element of dissatisfaction that I encounter. It appears so flexible, but it's not. The larger companies don't all want their screening or leases....so I still am running other programs which is a pain. Their system doesn't work for me (having a one stop shop for 'everyone' isn't realistic) in all areas as it seemed to in the beginning. So modify your expectations. I would have still purchased, but been happier with where i landed.

Buildium

Reasons for Choosing AppFolio Property Manager

It was time to update and engage and embrace a switch. Our product was becoming antiquated and while we loved it, we desired the upgrades and a tech company bought our old one and wasn't going to update our product so they could bring in their competitive options.

Reasons for Switching to AppFolio Property Manager

Two easy reasons (I'd spent time prior reviewing): 1) A close colleague was using and really liked it AppFolio. 2) Buildium hasn't been as user friendly as other options.
Chelsey

• Customer Support Software

Easy to use, no major flaws

Reviewed on 2020-06-29

The experience has been amazing. Customer service is quick, and we were able to decrease the amount of physical checks in our business office by 50% in the first two years.

Pros

I love the ease of use of this software. It gives me so many options for reporting, investigating any issues, and my tenants love that they can pay online and request maintenance online as well. I love the look of it, it is modern without being gaudy.

Cons

I only wish that changing ownership for 1099 reporting was easier (IE partners that get monthly distributions but want the 1099 reported to the partnership name)

Yardi Breeze

Reasons for Choosing AppFolio Property Manager

The product we were using was server based, and our server was outdated and slowly dying with frequent crashes. We wanted something cloud/online based so we could get away from utilizing an on site server, thus cutting out the cost for server maintenance and backup.

Reasons for Switching to AppFolio Property Manager

We tested several products most of which I forget the names of now, eventually landing on Appfolio because it gave us the widest range of options while only having a few things missing from what we wanted.
James

Great Initially but Caters to Larger Companies Now

Reviewed on 2020-09-29

My overall experience has been generally positive however I wish they would offer the same features and services to all of their clients regardless of their portfolio size. If you already have the technology available and a cost structure in place to offer these services, I don't see how portfolio size matters. Overall, it's a good product but they're starting to nickel and dime customers for services previously included in the monthly subscription prices. They're also releasing a lot of cool new tools such as the artificial intelligence assistance however you should verify that you're going to be able to access all of the tools you want to before signing up as you might discover that you don't meet their minimum portfolio size to take advantage of such features.

Pros

I love how easy it is to use and that it's got everything integrated from inspections to maintenance to accounting to contract management. It also posts my listings to a bunch of websites automatically.

Cons

It was initially a perfect fit for our company. We wanted our website and property management software integrated and we loved the features such as the tenant portal etc. In the past couple of years, it seems that they are gearing themselves more toward large companies (1000+ units) as they are only making certain features available to their larger clients (i.e. Lisa AI / artificial intelligence secretary) despite having the technology already to accommodate all clients regardless of company size. Additionally, we paid a lofty website setup fee when we originally enrolled in the software in 2014. They charge anywhere from $1000-5000 to redesign the website and as of March 2021, they are forcing everyone to migrate their website over to a new design and imposing a monthly fee to host the website in addition the the regular monthly fee.

Reasons for Choosing AppFolio Property Manager

We wanted something more integrated and that allowed more than one user at a time.

Rent Manager

Reasons for Switching to AppFolio Property Manager

Because it was a better value for the money and seemed more user-friendly.
Sherry

Appfolio Review July2021

Reviewed on 2021-07-06

Appfolio is a great product and takes a lot of the user labor out.

Appfolio is a great product and takes a lot of the user labor out.

Pros

I love how you can tie everything in from property to owner to tenant. You can click on the amount in any report to review a transaction. Attaching PDFs to the statements are fantastic. Communication is wonderful.

Cons

The finer accounting pieces. I would love to be able to run the balance sheet and click on Operating Cash to see what the balance of each bank account that makes up the Operating cash, then if I want to see by property, I could click on that total.

Propertyware

Reasons for Choosing AppFolio Property Manager

Cost was the biggest reason, but Appfolio has a better user friendly, less keypunch product.

MRI Software

Reasons for Switching to AppFolio Property Manager

We had another smaller company that we had been using Appfolio with and your upgrades throughout the years let us know you listen to your clients to improve your product. That was what helped us make our decision.
Herb

• Customer Support Software

AppFolio is terrific and continues to get better

Reviewed on 2019-08-30

Overall, providing the initial data from our old system for the setup was easy, of course you need to provide accurate data. Everything went well and whether i provided PDF's or Excel files, the only real errors were made on data we provided. It was easy enough to correct. We are thrilled with AppFolio since making the switch in November 2018.

Pros

Easy to use web based software, includes apps for management and homeowner/tenant. AppFolio continues to make improvements and they appear, never an update on our end needed, love that since it is web based. Set up a vendor once to use across all condominium associations the vendor provides services for, good work order system and improvements made based on user feedback.

Cons

I would like the ability to modify the user level access myself, but that isn't a real problem, just a nicety. There needs to be the ability to create folders or directories to upload the condominium documents so they can be categorized, otherwise an owner needs to look through a significant amount of files. I understand that is in the works though.

Enumerate

Reasons for Choosing AppFolio Property Manager

We needed to be on the latest technology and provide the best experience for out homeowners. AppFolio included the apps where some competitors didn't have them.

Sage Construction Suite

Reasons for Switching to AppFolio Property Manager

The AppFolio presentation blew away Tops on both presentation and capabilities.
Morgan

AppFolio is good, but still some features that I WOULD LOVE

Reviewed on 2020-02-18

Since we have upgraded to AF plus and a dedicated rep I think that we have been able to use AppFolio more for what we want vs, what the greater good does.

Pros

I love how easy it is to use. I like customizing our own reports and how easy it is. It's exciting when "what's new" comes out and figuring out how we can us it!

Cons

What I find as a pro is also a con. It is customizable, but the reporting we have to do more "workarounds" to get our desired info and often these workarounds are not 100% accurate. Such as commission tracking, rental reporting for team members, renewals and screening process is basic. I think that appfolio is close but I think they could up the game with more functional guest cards and follow-ups where we take control and customize.

Reasons for Switching to AppFolio Property Manager

Yes and no. There is time with reporting and financials (having variance reports would be an amazing feature!) that I say Yardi would be easier, but I also think that AF is great for other aspects
Michael

Better than expected

Reviewed on 2021-01-25

Pros

The ease of use and mobile app make this software very useful for property managers. For leasing, the application and lease signing process is pretty seamless once set-up. The Online Portal is also great as it helps cut down on unnecessary emails or calls to the office. Residents can pay rent, submit requests for maintenance, and sign lease renewals all through their Online Portal. The lease renewal interface is one of my favorite features as it has really cuts down on the amount of time I spend drafting and preparing renewals. This software offers a lot and they are always pushing out updates and new features which is great.

Cons

The biggest problem is customer support. Some requests take days or weeks to hear back from someone and in property management, we typically don't have days or weeks to wait for a fix to a problem we are experiencing. However, when someone does help, they tend to always be able to resolve our problems. I would also like to see more customization to the software. Little things like being able to add my own "reasons for move-out" to the drop down when selecting a reason for a move-out. Also adding the option for management to select "preferred/available times" when entering a maintenance request for a resident. Residents have this option when submitting via the online portal, but management does not if they are entering a request on behalf of a resident. The work around is just writing it in the access notes, but that seems disconnected since user submitted requests will show the preferred times in a different section so maintenance staff may overlook it since it will be in a different spot than usual.

Yardi Breeze

Reasons for Choosing AppFolio Property Manager

The Yardi Genesis software was not web based and only worked on 1 single computer and could not be used remotely. We needed software that was more inline with the times.

Reasons for Switching to AppFolio Property Manager

AppFolio seemed to have the most feature rich content and interface. Yardi Breeze was too new and lacked many basic features at the time we were looking to adopt new software. We needed to hit the ground running with all of the necessary features so we decided AppFolio was the right choice.

Response from AppFolio

Hi Dennis, thank you for taking the time to leave a review - we appreciate your feedback.

Vivianq

• Customer Support Software

If you are in Property Management AppFolio is the best choice!

Reviewed on 2022-06-16

We all love using AppFolio!

We all love using AppFolio!

Pros

The program is super user friendly and quality life changes are being made regularly to make the software better. Between adding features and their support system makes workflow with AppFolio easier than ever. They take suggestions made from customers/users and do their best to implement them. Training new employees to use AppFolio has gone from taking months to get someone able to use to just a few weeks.

Cons

They do make changes behind the scenes that sometimes effects the way you have something set up and you don't know it until it gets brought to someones attention.

Reasons for Choosing AppFolio Property Manager

The program was not user friendly at all.

Reasons for Switching to AppFolio Property Manager

AppFolio had the best price at the time for the features they provided.
Melissa

Appfolio Review

Reviewed on 2019-02-26

Pros

Appfolio gives us as a rental company the ability to easy sort, organize, and access information on our tenants, owners, and vendors. I love that Appfolio has helped us move to doing business online. It's so convenient for us to send out a lease and have it signed electronically and saves time for us and our tenants. They don't have to take off work to come to our office to do so.

Online payments have similar benefits. Most of our tenants pay online and it's so nice that we don't have to record each of those payments; they're automatically applied to the tenant's account.

Another feature that we use a lot is the credit and background checks. It's conveniently built into the application and helps us screen applicants efficiently.

I like that Appfolio offers texting and emailing. It makes it easy to see what was communicated and it's all on the tenant's page and I don't have to pull up multiple windows for that.

The newly-developed tenant insurance coverage feature allows me to track who has coverage and who doesn't, and to email them notifications if their insurance has expired. It also shows which policies expire in 30 days, which is great for reminding people before their policy expires so they have continuous coverage.

I appreciate how AppFolio continues to improve their product and develop new features. They allow users to make suggestions and comment on suggestions as well.

Cons

I wish that the texting line could receive pictures. This would make the application process easier; people could take pictures of documents they didn't include in the application and send it to us. While most people can take pictures and send them by email, I think it would help especially our older tenants and others who don't have email on their phones or don't have a smartphone or just aren't as technologically literate. People would also be able to send us pictures of their insurance docs and maintenance issues.

It would also be nice to be able to search for guest cards (interested parties) in the main search bar. Currently I need to search on the guest cards page and the person doesn't show up if it's been over a year from their last inquiry.

Response from AppFolio

Dear Melissa, thank you for your review. We have launched a new tenant application that allows tenants to submit their maintenance requests directly from their phone and upload photos from their camera roll. Thanks for your suggestion about texting photos, we'll be sure to pass this along to our product team!

Paris

Small PM Company 20 Month Review

Reviewed on 2019-04-09

Pros

*Convenient user access on computer & phone.
*User friendly & comprehensive for property management operations
*Good visuals, nice looking documents & communication to customers.
*Love how you launch improvements ongoing & post "What's New"
*Sending work order links to vendors, how they can see all their w/o to stay better organized
*Paying vendors via direct deposit.
*Sharing documents to tenant & owner portals. No more mailing.
*Helps organize functions

Cons

*Expensive.
*Very complicated to manage the accounting portion. There are many hidden, connected functions, that fixing one, often doesn't fix all or messes something else up.
*Move-outs are exceptionally difficult if you have to meet a short time line & have to break the tenant refunds into 2 payments. In WA state, water/sewer companies don't put account in tenant names or read meters in between, so we have to wait up to 60 days to get final bill. We want to hold out deposit funds for that & then refund the tenant any overcharged amount.
*Customer service is friendly & knowledgeable, but have to wait for returned contact & about 25% of the time offers solutions doesn't fix all aspects or messes up something else.

Big Issue: A HUGE number of brokerages are hiring outside Appfolio experts to help manage & solve their problems, instead of relying on Appfolio customer service. A HUGE number. There is something wrong with that.

Response from AppFolio

Hi Paris, thanks for the feedback. We know that the implementation of any new software can be an adjustment, so we've created our Help Center full of articles, community forums and other how-to training resources that will help you to master all of the capabilities within AppFolio Property Manager. We hope that as you continue to learn and grow with AppFolio that you will have a more positive experience moving forward!

Susan

Comprehensive Solution to Rental Property Management

Reviewed on 2020-10-05

We use Appfolio to manage our multi-family rentals and our commercial rentals all in one robust property management platform. We enjoy the multitude of automated functions that promote a streamlined workflow from maintenance to management and the ease of collaboration this suite provides. The real-time activity tracking provides excellent audit control, and the products intuitive design combined with content rich training materials make this one of the easiest programs to learn and use. The search feature is hands down the greatest resource for saving time when you need help with any feature.

Pros

That the software is intuitive, user friendly and the support and training are outstanding. I am truly impressed with ongoing emphasis to improve the software based on customer input and trends in the industry. The company's farsighted mentality gives us comfort this solution will continue to serve us well in the years to come, and the solid reputation and business model provides a sense of security only previously matched by one other software product, and AppFolio has grow to become an industry standard.

Cons

That the Guest Card widget cannot operate independent of the listing. We do not always have a listing, then we are forced to manually record guest cards. If there was a widget just for the Guest Card then we could embed this as a link on our website and prospects can feed data directly into a guest card which we can then utilize the tools such as waitlist or sending a application, etc. Some of the seemingly simplest and easiest product suggestions seem never to gain any traction with the programmers. Like asking to add make and model to the fixed asset report filters.

Christine

• Customer Support Software

Took a bit to get the hang of it, but would NEVER go back!

Reviewed on 2017-07-19

Pros

1. It has what I want from a property software,and if they don't have it, they will if you ask!
2. The customer service is spot on, they really love their customers and it shows!
3. Notes for EVERYTHING with PICS! No more tenants claiming they don't know what you're talking about or not knowing what they are trying to tell you is wrong with their units!
4. It makes it easy to keep track of all the data we have, literally everything has a place to be put.
5. I really love how in depth the help pages are and the fact that there are forums for the users to talk to each other about what they deal with and how they have worked around issues. It can take some time to find the right thing sometimes, but you can always find a way to make things work. Appfolio is very adaptable and it feels like there is no one way to use it. It works with each person in their own way!

Cons

1. The accounting took awhile to get used to and can be a little clunky and confusing at times (and I have an accounting degree).
2. Customer service can take up to 24 hours to get back to you, while that is still a good response time, when you have accounting questions, it can seem like forever.
3. Having the option for so much data can make it hard to remember WHERE your data for a particular item got placed. Was it the unit page? Owner page? Tenant notes? Vendor notes? Maintenance notes? Who knows! It would be great to see a system that links together notes a little better with catch words or a notes search option by date etc to make finding the large volumes of data we collect a little easier. But it is STILL a far better system than anything we have used before.

Response from AppFolio

Dear Christine, thanks for sharing your review! We appreciate your thoughtful feedback and are happy to see that appfolio has been a significant improvement from your last solution. We look forward to always improving our software for your use!

Susan
  • Industry: Commercial Real Estate Software

Best in Class!

Reviewed on 2023-03-14

We have a much better handle on our cash flow needs, both short- and long-term because of the data we capture using AppFolio. We are able to compare our operations month-over-month, quarter-over-quarter, and year-over-year to provide more accurate budgeting, analyze where we can improve our income stream, and reduce our expenses. In addition, it helps us to keep in closer contact with our residents to ensure their satisfaction and achieve higher retention rates and faster unit turns than ever before.

Pros

AppFolio offers an extremely user-friendly operating interface which is easily "teachable" when onboarding new team members. Their common sense, logic-based approach to property management solutions and associated accounting is refreshing in this industry. They LISTEN to their users and don't just look for the easiest solution; they seek out the most EFFICIENT and EFFECTIVE solutions when developing new enhancements to the product. Improvements are developed at a robust pace with meaningful, ongoing upgrades coming out almost daily! I could not be more impressed with AppFolio as a perfect solution for our quickly-expanding company.

Cons

Honestly, there is nothing that concerns or upsets me about AppFolio as a solution for our day-to-day property management, leasing, maintenance, or accounting operations. It has allowed the company to grow by double in the number of units under management in only 3 years without having to substantially add to staff, except for the on-site physical maintenance needs of such a fast-growing portfolio of rental townhome units; which is to be expected.