AppFolio Property Manager Reviews

AppFolio Property Manager

4.5 (1,885)
Cloud-based property management software.

(1,885)
4.5/5
Customer Support Software

Nanette
Nanette

• Customer Support Software

Could not manage as efficiently without Appfolio

Reviewed on 2019-10-09

Everyday accounting and management tool that we could not do without. This is a huge benefit to our team , tenants and owners.

Pros

Ease of use. Organized. Forward thinking and always updating with new features. Love many aspects including listing rentals, screening applicants, managing daily, tenant communication.

Cons

Owners do not have the ability to make folders for shared docs. Scheduling showings is great but glitchy, still requires too much manual input and has no ability to schedule in bulk. We work with this because the rest of the software is superb.

Traci

Appfolio

Reviewed on 2022-11-28

I do enjoy it, the customer services has been amazing to work with. We are still getting used to the program, and how to best use it.

Pros

I like the ease of use, and the easy access for tenants. I love the dashboard, and unit turn. It would be nice to see some tweeks on the dashboard to make it more personable. Texting feature is by far our favorite.

Cons

The way deposits are processed. We run ours in/out of that account. I don't like that it meshes into the owners account and makes their reports really sloppy and full of info they don't want to be bothered with. I wish the owners reports were easier, P & L version is the ones my owners like, but they are really difficult in appfolio, becuase they are 1-31st of the month only.

Yardi Voyager

Reasons for Choosing AppFolio Property Manager

We had the really old version of yardi and did alot of our stuff with paper trails. It was time to update and get on cloud

Reasons for Switching to AppFolio Property Manager

I liked the online signature option, and the texting
Todd

Wall Street Greed and Arrogance Abound at Appfolio

Reviewed on 2018-03-05

Run don't walk from this software. Read the reviews on other sites to get 'the rest of the story'!

Pros

The UI is simple and easy for new staff members to learn. The features are 'simple' and provide entry level functionality to get tasks done.

Cons

Since signing up with Appfolio in 2010, they've lost their consumer focus - and replaced it with what can best be described as 'Wall Street Arrogance':
- selling 'value add' services to our clients without our prior consent
- adding a maintenance call center that is a joke and an embarrassment
- their suppressed fees feature is a nightmare to use, requiring hours of extra labor to ensure it works
- coming out with simple versions of software 'improvements' that don't compare or compete with online alternatives

That last point is why I am actively searching to leave Appfolio.

Instead of letting me connect Appfolio to Docusign, they develop their own lousy lease writer which noone likes or uses.

Instead of letting me connect Appfolio to TenantTurner or other showing softwares, they insist on making us wait for their 'simple' (less powerful) version to come out.

Instead of letting me connect my Appfolio to SalesForce or Hubspot or Infusionsoft, they say 'who needs a CRM anyways'? Mind you they use Salesforce to grow Appfolio... but we can manually add new clients versus importing them from our CRM

Instead of letting me connect my Appfolio to Podio or Asana or another workflow management software, they say 'use paper checklists, or maintain a dual database' if you want to get your work done with the latest cutting edge software tech. Folks - THIS MATTERS, and means you will spend TONS of extra hours doing labor that could easily be automated otherwise.

Instead of letting me connect my Appfolio to Survey Monkey, they make us use a dual data base, and miss the chance to survey our clients. Appfolio surveys us all the time, but apparently we don't deserve to use an integrated survey feature.

Instead of letting me connect my Appfolio to PropertyMeld, they want me to use their Model 'T' version of a workorder system. So I went with PropertyMeld, and deactivated the Appfolio maintenance portal so I could replace it with PropertyMeld's portal. We now run far more efficiently - no thanks to Appfolio.

I recently used a competing call center to answer our maintenance lines, and received a 'cease and desist' style letter from Appfolio?! They said that 'for the safety of my data', I was to no longer use any 3rd party services!? I shook the tree long and hard and they retracted that statement. A thinly veiled attempt to shut down a competitor. Shameful actually.

When Appfolio went public, I told my Stock Broker 'you should buy it, cuz I know it will go up'. Their share price tripled over the past two years, but I refused to buy their stock. Why? I HATE that Wall Street Greed and Arrogance has entered our industry, and refuse to support them.

An open source API solves all of the above 'connection' issues, and is what's best for the customer. But Appfolio will not release their API. So folks, before considering moving forward with Appfolio, remember that the folks who play God with your data will decide WHAT improvements to bestow upon us at THEIR leisure. They'll decide what products to sell to our clients WITHOUT our knowledge or consent.

I'll leave you with a closing thought - why would Appfolio decide to shut down live support while their share values triple? One would think that escalating share values means they could afford to give us excellent live support... apparently the shareholder is now more important than the customer at Appfolio.

Response from AppFolio

Hi Todd, thank you for providing this feedback. We are sorry for your poor experience with AppFolio. We work to provide an all in one solution to meet needs across your business and we created an online leasing flow that allows for the automation of your move-in processes and the ability to e-sign a lease. We also launched the ability to survey your tenants directly from AppFolio and we welcome your feedback regarding other features that you believe could be improved. We would be happy to disable the ability for tenant's to purchase renters insurance through their portals and to clarify, we launched this as a feature offering to help property managers mitigate risk. In regards to our customer support, our Customer Success team's first priority is your success, and they work hard to help improve each situation. Our team has also created an online Help Center that can provide step-by-step assistance in time of need, it is a great place to start when you have a question. We take your experience seriously and hope that we are able to provide you with excellent service moving forward!

Nicole

User friendly, efficient

Reviewed on 2024-01-11

It is easy to use, easy to navigate, and I like the app feature on my phone to use while I'm out on the property. This makes building work orders easy and can be completed with photos for staff.

Pros

Daily functions as a property manager with placing work orders, entering rent checks, lease renewals and sending tenant online forms to electronically to sign. All of these tasks save time & are efficient being available as online options. This even is convenient for prospective tenants coming from out of state.

Cons

The unit transfer functions could be more seamless. When a resident is moving apartments within the property, the charges and credits/payments often have to be carefully reviewed when completing a transfer to make sure the new unit's tenant ledger is correct.

Sean

• Customer Support Software

A must-have for any property management company

Reviewed on 2022-08-26

AppFolio has been great overall. The product does have a steep learning curve. It took at least 6 months for our whole team to get comfortable using the software, but once they bought into it, it has completely transformed the way we do business.

Pros

Online rent payments, online maintenance requests, customizable reports, robust accounting features, dedicated support team, software is constantly evolving.

Cons

eCheck payments being returned as NSF when they shouldn't be, credit card payments are able to be cancelled months later after we've already given the money to the owner, owners aren't able to sign leases through their portal, steep learning curve.

Rentec Direct, Yardi Voyager and Buildium

Reasons for Choosing AppFolio Property Manager

We used QuickBooks prior to getting AppFolio. As a property database, QuickBooks was highly limited. The accounting features in QuickBooks are fine, but we were overwhelmed with the amount of rent checks we had to handle every month. And QuickBooks does not help at all with keeping track of work orders. As the size of our staff and the size of our portfolio both started to grow, it soon became evident that we needed a software solution that was specifically designed for property managers, rather than a generalized business software like QuickBooks.

QuickBooks Online

Reasons for Switching to AppFolio Property Manager

I read a lot of reviews for various property management software solutions, and most of them pointed to AppFolio as being the best one. It might not be the cheapest one, but in my opinion it is well-worth the investment.
Jessica

Using AppFolio for property management

Reviewed on 2022-07-26

I have been very pleased with AppFolio. For several years we have used it as its minimum abilities but more recently discovered it has many other features that make managing properties easier and more efficient. The online training articles are very helpful and most of the time answer all of our questions.

Pros

The software was easy to use. I started using it without any training but because I was familiar with several pother software programs was able to navigate through pretty easily. It's intuitive and user friendly. The self help articles are also very handy and most of the time answer my questions.

Cons

There is a minimum number of units we had to maintain in oder to begin using AppFolio. And a minimum monthly amount to spend. For serval years we had to pay for more than we needed to meet this minimum amount monthly. Because we bill our properties back per unit, our company had to incur the additional expense until we were large enough.

RealPage and Yardi Voyager

Reasons for Choosing AppFolio Property Manager

AppFolio offered more reporting and features and property owners we were pursuing as clients were already familiar with AppFolio.

Reasons for Switching to AppFolio Property Manager

The pricing was better. Also, RealPage does not allow you to directly send ACH payments to owners. You have to download an ACH file and send it to your bank. This requires additional work for us.
Vivianq

• Customer Support Software

If you are in Property Management AppFolio is the best choice!

Reviewed on 2022-06-16

We all love using AppFolio!

We all love using AppFolio!

Pros

The program is super user friendly and quality life changes are being made regularly to make the software better. Between adding features and their support system makes workflow with AppFolio easier than ever. They take suggestions made from customers/users and do their best to implement them. Training new employees to use AppFolio has gone from taking months to get someone able to use to just a few weeks.

Cons

They do make changes behind the scenes that sometimes effects the way you have something set up and you don't know it until it gets brought to someones attention.

Yardi Voyager and Buildium

Reasons for Choosing AppFolio Property Manager

The program was not user friendly at all.

Reasons for Switching to AppFolio Property Manager

AppFolio had the best price at the time for the features they provided.
Zak

Growing Together

Reviewed on 2021-07-06

Appfolio was a great decision when I was looking at Property Management Software. I have used other software but this one saves me so much time and frustration. I could not imagine my team using any other tool.

Pros

One of my favorite things about this software is that I feel like Appfolio is growing with my company. The software has come so far in the last couple years with lots of new features. There have been multiple occasions where I have a problem and then in a couple days I get notified that Appfolio has created a solution to my problem. It is actually very weird but I don't believe in coincidences so I just right it off as a great partnership.

Cons

I wish that I could change the bank accounts that the properties use currently to a new one without having to work with someone at Appfolio.

Sherry

Appfolio Review July2021

Reviewed on 2021-07-06

Appfolio is a great product and takes a lot of the user labor out.

Appfolio is a great product and takes a lot of the user labor out.

Pros

I love how you can tie everything in from property to owner to tenant. You can click on the amount in any report to review a transaction. Attaching PDFs to the statements are fantastic. Communication is wonderful.

Cons

The finer accounting pieces. I would love to be able to run the balance sheet and click on Operating Cash to see what the balance of each bank account that makes up the Operating cash, then if I want to see by property, I could click on that total.

Propertyware

Reasons for Choosing AppFolio Property Manager

Cost was the biggest reason, but Appfolio has a better user friendly, less keypunch product.

MRI Software

Reasons for Switching to AppFolio Property Manager

We had another smaller company that we had been using Appfolio with and your upgrades throughout the years let us know you listen to your clients to improve your product. That was what helped us make our decision.
Frank
Frank

Solid, Full-featured system for RE investors and PMCs

Reviewed on 2021-04-06

The software works great, from your first property to your 400th, so it's easy to scale with.

Pros

Easy to use, on the cloud, has everything you need to run a RE business, from payments to ticketing to accounting. Love the PayNearMe integration.

Cons

Totally closed system (no open API), so it's impossible to integrate other things with. Their in-house call center is expensive and poor value for the money, considering wait times.

Rent Manager, Yardi Voyager and Buildium

Reasons for Switching to AppFolio Property Manager

Already was familiar with the software, and it had a modern-interface. Also wasn't desktop-based, like Rent Manager is/was.
Sheryl

• Customer Support Software

Best Property Manager Software I've used in over 22years!

Reviewed on 2019-07-30

I have had nothing but a great experience with AppFolio. I love the fact that it does everything and that it gets better every single week. I love the functionality of it, that you can send text messages to your residents and get immediate responses back probably 90% of the time, I love the fact that it auto populates all you forms for you. I love that most tenants pay rent online so there are hardly any checks to deposit each month. we can send group messages to an entire unit at the same time either via email or text message. I have never felt lost and there is nothing that I cant figure out how to do on my own. The help section is amazing and there is also a forum where you can also get help from other users. I am so glad my company started using AppFolio. There is so much more that I could tell you about that AppFolio does, be glad there is a limit on how much information I can give you!! It is really great software hands down.

Pros

I love AppFolio, it does everything all together in one place, no need to have multiple programs because AppFolio has everything you need to be organized and professional. You can basically go paperless using this software. It is very easy to learn, there is self help that walks you through things if you forget or need to learn how to do something. They are always adding new things and making AppFolio better. Our company is actually one of there testers so we get the new updates to try before they are even released. AppFolio takes you through the leasing process from start to finish and takes care of everything in between. Your company can upload all the forms you could possibly need as templates (applications, leases, notices, letters, renewals, terminations and you can also make your own letters to add as templates.) All forms auto populate and give you the ability to edit as needed to fit the tenant(s) you are sending to. Everything between you and the tenant can be completed online such as applications, leases, changes in terms, addendums, lease assumptions and more. Tenants and managers are able to sign forms digitally which is great. When everyone has completed signing it automatically send a copy of the signed document to each resident and the property manager. Rent can be paid online, maintenance requests are done online. Keeps all your records in one place. I have never used a better software product and I have been in this business for 22+ years.

Cons

This is a hard one because AppFolio since it started has listened to its users and just about everything we've asked for to make our jobs more efficient and easier they have made happen. There is literally one thing that comes to mind that I wish was different. When you print something from AppFolio you click to print to PDF then it opens a PDF copy of what you are trying to print, then on the PDF you go to file, print, then your printer opens up and you hit print again. to me its a lot of steps just to print something. But if you look at all the pros in this software having to click 4 times to print something is really nothing! (me being lazy or in a hurry) Who knows, one of these days I might come to work and they'll have changed it and it will print with one click!

Pamela

Switched from LiveRez to Appfolio

Reviewed on 2019-10-04

Pros

The accounting is thorough and generally easy to use. Originally, 5 years ago, some of the ways they did things was different but over the years, things have been much easier & user friendly. I used another accounting property management software & it was a nightmare integrating with QuickBooks. Half the time it wouldn't migrate right. This has made my accounting & booking much simpler, easier & faster. The end of the month accounting to owners takes me less than half the time it used to. Very happy overall

Cons

The fact you can edit the website ourselves. I've used other property management software (LiveRez) and you can update pictures, website page wording and descriptions directly. AppFolio requires you to submit to their team and it take a few days to get done. In this day & age, that should be something we can do ourselves as we need to. Plus updating pages allows for search engines to rank us better.

Response from AppFolio

Thanks, Pamela. It's great to hear you are finding the accounting side of AppFolio easy to use!

Jon

Powerful - Easy to Use and Learn

Reviewed on 2019-12-10

AppFolio has been able to streamline and give so much more efficiency for day to day operations that we're able to scale our business at a much more dramatic pace.

Pros

The all encompassing ability to power a website to sophisticated accounting, maintenance controls, tenant/owner communications is all at your fingertips anywhere with a mobile device or computer.

Cons

If you're not a seasoned bookkeeper and you're managing somewhat sophisticated accounting of properties, you can dig yourself a hole real quick.

Buildium

Reasons for Choosing AppFolio Property Manager

AppFolio had the capabilities that we needed that the previous software could not provide and are constantly improving the software. Appfolio has come a long way from 2 years ago!

Property Boulevard

Reasons for Switching to AppFolio Property Manager

We got a better feeling with Appfolio and their sales team.

Response from AppFolio

Hi Jon, thanks for taking the time to leave a review. We know transitions to any new software solution can be tough and we're glad you chose AppFolio to streamline your business!

Marianne

Streamlined Accounting

Reviewed on 2020-06-29

Appfolio has streamlined Accounts Receivable. The lookup function is great, the ability to text is fantastic. Communicating with tenants is much easier.

Pros

Flexibility and ease of use. It allows you to delete transactions and edit them. Great training videos and articles. Enhancements and updates are made regularly.

Cons

Inability to assign due dates on manual invoices and an easier override of monthly late charges, making the latter process quite laborious. My only other criticism is applying credits in the diagnostics panel. It should populate the fields and then let you edit. Instead you have to enter everything line by line.

QuickBooks Desktop Enterprise

Reasons for Choosing AppFolio Property Manager

Skyline was very inflexible, no training provided, not user friendly.

Reasons for Switching to AppFolio Property Manager

Ease of use and two very talented sales rep who made our choice a no brainer.
Brooks

• Customer Support Software

Best software on the market

Reviewed on 2020-10-09

Overall, we are extremely happy customers and plan to be Appfolio customers for life.

Pros

Appfolio has not only a lot of functionality, but is easy to use across our entire organization. It has become the primary backbone of our property management business and we truly view Appfolio as a Partner, not a technology service provider.

Cons

Our primary critique with Appfolio is that they tend not to let other good real estate tech products plug into their software via API. In other words, they like to build new products/functions in-house instead of via partnership or integration. There are pros and cons, but in general I would like to see Appfolio play nicer with other prop tech products.

Yardi Voyager and Buildium

Reasons for Choosing AppFolio Property Manager

Propertyware was an inferior product with a lot of problems and was not going to let us scale our business and be as successful as we have been.

Propertyware

Reasons for Switching to AppFolio Property Manager

Appfolio is a superior product and company who actively invests and innovates.
Michael

Better than expected

Reviewed on 2021-01-25

Pros

The ease of use and mobile app make this software very useful for property managers. For leasing, the application and lease signing process is pretty seamless once set-up. The Online Portal is also great as it helps cut down on unnecessary emails or calls to the office. Residents can pay rent, submit requests for maintenance, and sign lease renewals all through their Online Portal. The lease renewal interface is one of my favorite features as it has really cuts down on the amount of time I spend drafting and preparing renewals. This software offers a lot and they are always pushing out updates and new features which is great.

Cons

The biggest problem is customer support. Some requests take days or weeks to hear back from someone and in property management, we typically don't have days or weeks to wait for a fix to a problem we are experiencing. However, when someone does help, they tend to always be able to resolve our problems. I would also like to see more customization to the software. Little things like being able to add my own "reasons for move-out" to the drop down when selecting a reason for a move-out. Also adding the option for management to select "preferred/available times" when entering a maintenance request for a resident. Residents have this option when submitting via the online portal, but management does not if they are entering a request on behalf of a resident. The work around is just writing it in the access notes, but that seems disconnected since user submitted requests will show the preferred times in a different section so maintenance staff may overlook it since it will be in a different spot than usual.

Yardi Breeze

Reasons for Choosing AppFolio Property Manager

The Yardi Genesis software was not web based and only worked on 1 single computer and could not be used remotely. We needed software that was more inline with the times.

Reasons for Switching to AppFolio Property Manager

AppFolio seemed to have the most feature rich content and interface. Yardi Breeze was too new and lacked many basic features at the time we were looking to adopt new software. We needed to hit the ground running with all of the necessary features so we decided AppFolio was the right choice.

Response from AppFolio

Hi Dennis, thank you for taking the time to leave a review - we appreciate your feedback.

Daniele

• Customer Support Software

Our Business Runs on AppFolio!

Reviewed on 2021-10-29

From the onboarding process to going live, AppFolio has been there for us! Their team worked with us every day during data migration and user training, so that we were confident once we went live. AppFolio is so user friendly and the Help Center so comprehensive that we rarely need to contact support, but even when we do need their help, the support team is friendly, knowledgeable and quick to respond. We couldn't be happier with our decision to move to AppFolio.

Pros

The ease of use. AppFolio makes every process seem simple. All of the information within AppFolio is easily searchable and our users don't need to be super tech savvy to use AppFolio with confidence.

Cons

We'd love to see AppFolio make a concerted effort to improve or add features for commercial properties like sales tracking/percentage rent billing. Even though the commercial property features aren't as robust as the residential features, I have no doubts that I will see these features in the future. AppFolio regularly releases new and improved features. They also maintain a robust user community wherein they take suggestions and let us know what suggestions are in the works.

Sarah

Chatel Real Estate

Reviewed on 2019-02-08

Overall I'm very pleased and excited every time something new rules out. I'm the operations manager for one of Chatel's locations and I'm constantly playing with the new features to see if they will be useful for my company. This software is super easy to use, it cuts down on labor-intensive data management and archiving information. Plus the fact that it allows a property manager to be mobile. There is nothing sweeter than being at a board meeting or a condo meeting and saying hey I can pull that information up on my phone. :)

Pros

I love that things are so well integrated. I have been with Chatel Real Estate for 7 years and we have been using Appfolio for the last 6 years. I appreciate all of the new features that you roll out and I'm super excited every time I see that little bubble at the top of my screen meaning something new has been added. Also, it's super nice that it's easy to use on the phone, I don't like the App. I only use it through my cell phones web browser but it works perfectly and I can get a ton of stuff done while visiting a building. I love that its a one stop shop for property management needs. I like being able to communicate with an entire building and record that information on unit owner pages. The key system is fantastic! We just started using it recently, and it has saved us so much time in addition to providing us with accurate records.

Cons

Prepayments on unit owner ledgers do not automatically apply to the next owners charge automatically. This makes the aged receivable detail look off which is annoying and clients complain about it. It's not a huge deal and its something we easily fix. I also wish the homeowner directory report had columns to add their tenant's information into it, instead of having to pull a renter directory and then an owner directory. Clients want just one spreadsheet not two! I wish you accepted AMEX for payments, I get a fair amount of compliants about it.

Response from AppFolio

HI Sarah,

Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback and thanks for being our longtime partner! We have updated the app to have the same, full functionality that the browser has. We'd encourage you to download it from the app store so you can continue to easily pull up information on your phone in any meeting!

Sherrie w/ Professional

My Opinion of the Pros and Cons of Appfolio

Reviewed on 2019-04-09

For the most part I am very happy with Appfolio. We still are not using it to it's fullest potential. It seems that I have always had people that I train that are resistant to change. So I have to slowly change things that seem little changes at the time so that they don't realize it and are more willing participants.

Pros

I do accounts payable, plus deal with Owners and basically put out little fires that arise. Since using Appfolio I have reduced my work load or should I say the time that is necessary to do my job. By being able to do ACH's and emailing and texting. End of month statements was reduced down to a few hours from 2 days. The world we live in now does a lot of texting and emailing and that is always nice to be able to do when you are slammed. More than 50% of my Owners are retired or semi retired and are older so I find that it is important to have that conversation with them over the phone for that personal relationship that they like. I am friends with a lot of my Owners even though I have never laid eyes on them. So we need to balance things for good PR.

Cons

I don't have many, and I am at a loss right now to specifically point any particular problem. It is those times when you run into a situation that you rarely do and have problem figuring it out. The instructions are not real clear. As example off the top of my head. I have a problem right now with my Diagnostic under the Non-Zero Security Clearing Account Balances. I think that I have done it correctly after following the instructions and then I find my diagnostic with a problem that I will need help from Appfolio with. Right now I haven't had the time to contact Appfolio to help me due to my own personal issues, medical, vacation etc.

Krystal

• Customer Support Software

Thank you for making our lives easier!

Reviewed on 2019-08-08

Fantastic! I have been impressed with the way that they have continued to grow the effectiveness of the product over the years. Since we started with AF they have added texting and emailing tenants, showing scheduling, leases, merging applicant information, etc etc etc. I honestly can not even think of all the resources they have added off the top of my head, I know there are more. I love being able to be part of the process by providing suggestions and reviews for new functions and features.

Pros

Appfolio has really been a fantastic tool for our Property Management firm. It is highly functional for both accounting and property managers. All information and attachments are also available on one's smartphone through the Appfolio App. Anytime I have any questions, I get help from Appfolio's support team in a timely manner. The search bar is an invaluable resource - being able to look up a tenant, owner, or vendor's information by name, email, address, etc is very helpful. The Owner and Tenant statements are easy to review internally, and easy for the recipient to read and understand. I have utilized other accounting software in the past, and no other platform can come even close to comparing to the functionality of Appfolio. Keep up the good work!

Cons

That I can not set up one owner with separate bank accounts for each of their properties. It is the only think about Appfolio that drives me nuts!

Scott

Appfolio Overview

Reviewed on 2020-02-18

Potential is good, staff is nice and patient. Unfortunately, accounting and reporting capabilities of the software is extremely limited. As a result, the staff has difficulty keeping up with issue resolution and you wait days to speak with someone that can help.

Pros

Search function and integration with most online posting services is good. Staff is nice and try hard to answer your questions and navigate around limitations of the software. Unfortunately, they are overworked and the issues with the software (e.g. reporting and accounting primarily) make it very difficult for them to service their customers effectively. Mobile app is good (considering the accounting and reporting issues).

Cons

Accounting features are limited. Examples: Management Fees for non rent items (e.g. parking, storage, commercial rent) are deducted from income rather than calculated as an expense. It makes it look like you are hiding fees from owners. Option is to enter a series of JE's each month to correct.

Reporting capability is very poor: You can not set up batch reports that update monthly. You can set up owner reports, but, they do not necessarily update (e.g. prior month and YTD rolling). Extremely limited in formating reports. GL's for year are over 400 pages due to spacing and limited control on what to report. Example: P&L Options are only "Detail" or "Summary". Summary lumps all utilities into one line items and Detail prints "Non Posting" items.

Increased application fee cost within first year by 30% with virtually no notice and no options. Response was to "pass it on to your customers". I just received another notice 14 months after conversion that my web services fee was increasing 98%. Again, virtually no notice and no options.

Unfortunately, the staff is stretched so thin, I can not get a response to an issue logged over a week ago. I call daily, text and email. The response is: "We will expedite and prioritize. I will notify your case worker." Unfortunately, no call or email follows to help. I had to hire CPA's to force my financials to be accurate in order to get reports to my Federal Investor. Still waiting on that expedited call.....

TJ

• Customer Support Software

Great Product but support has changed

Reviewed on 2020-06-29

Most items have been great. The software meets most of our needs. The UI is great. The leasing call center was a disappointment on the time it took for our callers to get someone. So we had to move away from that service. Tech support was great for many years. I'm not sure if things have changed or staff is short but it takes longer and longer or no response at all when I put in a support request. When I started in 2010 it was almost instant service and or someone called and walk us through the problem we were having. Now its basically email-only tech support which is the same information that I can get from the help and training section and or no call or no email. I'm not sure what has happened over the last few years.

Pros

ease of use, good ui, handles most of our issues in property management.

Cons

Suppressed fees and or items paid directly to the property management company first go to the property and creates extra work to correct each month. For instance application fees. The fees are paid to the property then repaid to the management company. Then if you have a reason to refund that fee it creates a diagnostic issue to refund back. Its just extra work that is not needed. If the fees were able to be paid directly to the management company and bypass the property all together it wouldn't make much difference.

Susan

Comprehensive Solution to Rental Property Management

Reviewed on 2020-10-05

We use Appfolio to manage our multi-family rentals and our commercial rentals all in one robust property management platform. We enjoy the multitude of automated functions that promote a streamlined workflow from maintenance to management and the ease of collaboration this suite provides. The real-time activity tracking provides excellent audit control, and the products intuitive design combined with content rich training materials make this one of the easiest programs to learn and use. The search feature is hands down the greatest resource for saving time when you need help with any feature.

Pros

That the software is intuitive, user friendly and the support and training are outstanding. I am truly impressed with ongoing emphasis to improve the software based on customer input and trends in the industry. The company's farsighted mentality gives us comfort this solution will continue to serve us well in the years to come, and the solid reputation and business model provides a sense of security only previously matched by one other software product, and AppFolio has grow to become an industry standard.

Cons

That the Guest Card widget cannot operate independent of the listing. We do not always have a listing, then we are forced to manually record guest cards. If there was a widget just for the Guest Card then we could embed this as a link on our website and prospects can feed data directly into a guest card which we can then utilize the tools such as waitlist or sending a application, etc. Some of the seemingly simplest and easiest product suggestions seem never to gain any traction with the programmers. Like asking to add make and model to the fixed asset report filters.

Lisa

Appfolio is AWESOME!

Reviewed on 2017-07-13

The customer conferences are so beneficial and give the opportunity for new customers to talk with your staff directly and other Appfolio users. I believe this was key when we first converted and were going through the growing pains ourselves. Now that we have used this product for several years- I like to attend the conference, not only to connect with your team in the genius bar and in the classes--but to help the newbies by sharing our experiences with them and tell them about our processes. I just think overall the conference helps everyone get reconnected and I find it very beneficial.

Pros

The appfolio team listens to their end users and encourages input/feedback, so that they can make changes/upgrades on a continual basis. This, in my opinion, is one the biggest things that puts Appfolio WAY ahead of its competition.
The program is stupid-easy to use. (seriously, training on this system is a breeeze--it is truly "user friendly")
Texting and email ability allowed me to cancel another paid service I used to use--and these features are SUCH a time saver, plus our residents LOVE it! PLUS the system keeps the documentation- I don't have to spend time adding it in as a note! Win-win!
Online payments free up SO much of my time now. (Residents love the convenience as well) The majority of my property pay online!!

Cons

I can't think of one thing! I just really like Appfolio and I believe that the company has their fingers on the pulse of what we need. THANK YOU!

Response from AppFolio

Dear Lisa, thank you for your kind words! Our team loves seeing and working with you at our annual conference - we all truly enjoy meeting our customers face to face each year. We look forward to continually improving your experience with AppFolio and giving you the tools you need for your business. We hope to see you again at this year's conference!

Susan

Best in Class!

Reviewed on 2023-03-14

We have a much better handle on our cash flow needs, both short- and long-term because of the data we capture using AppFolio. We are able to compare our operations month-over-month, quarter-over-quarter, and year-over-year to provide more accurate budgeting, analyze where we can improve our income stream, and reduce our expenses. In addition, it helps us to keep in closer contact with our residents to ensure their satisfaction and achieve higher retention rates and faster unit turns than ever before.

Pros

AppFolio offers an extremely user-friendly operating interface which is easily "teachable" when onboarding new team members. Their common sense, logic-based approach to property management solutions and associated accounting is refreshing in this industry. They LISTEN to their users and don't just look for the easiest solution; they seek out the most EFFICIENT and EFFECTIVE solutions when developing new enhancements to the product. Improvements are developed at a robust pace with meaningful, ongoing upgrades coming out almost daily! I could not be more impressed with AppFolio as a perfect solution for our quickly-expanding company.

Cons

Honestly, there is nothing that concerns or upsets me about AppFolio as a solution for our day-to-day property management, leasing, maintenance, or accounting operations. It has allowed the company to grow by double in the number of units under management in only 3 years without having to substantially add to staff, except for the on-site physical maintenance needs of such a fast-growing portfolio of rental townhome units; which is to be expected.