AppFolio Property Manager

4.3/5

Drew

Amazing Property Manager for Small-to-Medium Companies

Reviewed on 2019-12-20

The biggest issue my company had was advertising vacancies. We were relying on walk-in tenants, which has not been a good source for 5-10 years. AppFolio is one-click to post to multiple free websites and syncs with Apartments.com if your company goes that route. Ease of use and great training/help files will keep us with them for years to come.

Pros

First and foremost, the value of the product. You get everything you need for cheaper than most of the other products out there. For my company, we transitioned from Buildium to AppFolio and instantly reaped the rewards. AppFolio provided us with an inexpensive company website, a quick and easy tool to post our vacancies to multiple websites, and great assistance during set-up.

Cons

I know some of the more expensive options offer more competitive pricing tools and a little more automation. Also, AppFolio had a few issues (like maintenance personnel not being able to see pictures on work orders using their mobile devices) that took AppFolio a while to start addressing.

Yardi Voyager

Reasons for Choosing AppFolio Property Manager

Cost was a factor, but mostly not having good advertising with Buildium.

Reasons for Switching to AppFolio Property Manager

Cost vs. benefits. We are a medium size company (750 multifamily/single-family units) and did not need as many bells and whistles.

Response from AppFolio

Dear Drew, thanks so much for taking the time to leave a review. We're happy that your transition to AppFolio was a good one and that you are already reaping the benefit!

Jessica
  • Industry: Commercial Real Estate Software

Using AppFolio for property management

Reviewed on 2022-07-26

I have been very pleased with AppFolio. For several years we have used it as its minimum abilities but more recently discovered it has many other features that make managing properties easier and more efficient. The online training articles are very helpful and most of the time answer all of our questions.

Pros

The software was easy to use. I started using it without any training but because I was familiar with several pother software programs was able to navigate through pretty easily. It's intuitive and user friendly. The self help articles are also very handy and most of the time answer my questions.

Cons

There is a minimum number of units we had to maintain in oder to begin using AppFolio. And a minimum monthly amount to spend. For serval years we had to pay for more than we needed to meet this minimum amount monthly. Because we bill our properties back per unit, our company had to incur the additional expense until we were large enough.

RealPage and Yardi Voyager

Reasons for Choosing AppFolio Property Manager

AppFolio offered more reporting and features and property owners we were pursuing as clients were already familiar with AppFolio.

Reasons for Switching to AppFolio Property Manager

The pricing was better. Also, RealPage does not allow you to directly send ACH payments to owners. You have to download an ACH file and send it to your bank. This requires additional work for us.
Brandon
  • Industry: Food Production

Tenant friendly

Reviewed on 2022-09-16

Overall my experience with the app is more positive then negative. The ease of use and current features are great.

Pros

I use this app because im a tenant. I love the ability to access information about my Lease agreement,Billing,Documents,Scheduling maintenance and getting information i might need help assessing.

Cons

Better customer service, Getting back to tenants in a timely manner, allowing more options when completing a maintenance request. Having the ability for a complaint page

Vivianq

• Customer Support Software

If you are in Property Management AppFolio is the best choice!

Reviewed on 2022-06-16

We all love using AppFolio!

Pros

The program is super user friendly and quality life changes are being made regularly to make the software better. Between adding features and their support system makes workflow with AppFolio easier than ever. They take suggestions made from customers/users and do their best to implement them. Training new employees to use AppFolio has gone from taking months to get someone able to use to just a few weeks.

Cons

They do make changes behind the scenes that sometimes effects the way you have something set up and you don't know it until it gets brought to someones attention.

Yardi Voyager and Buildium

Reasons for Choosing AppFolio Property Manager

The program was not user friendly at all.

Reasons for Switching to AppFolio Property Manager

AppFolio had the best price at the time for the features they provided.
Sean

• Customer Support Software

A must-have for any property management company

Reviewed on 2022-08-26

AppFolio has been great overall. The product does have a steep learning curve. It took at least 6 months for our whole team to get comfortable using the software, but once they bought into it, it has completely transformed the way we do business.

Pros

Online rent payments, online maintenance requests, customizable reports, robust accounting features, dedicated support team, software is constantly evolving.

Cons

eCheck payments being returned as NSF when they shouldn't be, credit card payments are able to be cancelled months later after we've already given the money to the owner, owners aren't able to sign leases through their portal, steep learning curve.

Rentec Direct, Yardi Voyager and Buildium

Reasons for Choosing AppFolio Property Manager

We used QuickBooks prior to getting AppFolio. As a property database, QuickBooks was highly limited. The accounting features in QuickBooks are fine, but we were overwhelmed with the amount of rent checks we had to handle every month. And QuickBooks does not help at all with keeping track of work orders. As the size of our staff and the size of our portfolio both started to grow, it soon became evident that we needed a software solution that was specifically designed for property managers, rather than a generalized business software like QuickBooks.

Quickbooks Online

Reasons for Switching to AppFolio Property Manager

I read a lot of reviews for various property management software solutions, and most of them pointed to AppFolio as being the best one. It might not be the cheapest one, but in my opinion it is well-worth the investment.
Douglas

Gold Standard in Property Management Accounting

Reviewed on 2022-09-16

Bottom line is it just works. Appfolio has done an outstanding job providing every feature you need to manage rental property.

Pros

Very little down time with this online software. It's very easy to use and to train employees to use. There may be a feature they don't have, but I can't think of it.

Cons

The customer support has declined dramatically over the last couple of years as they moved to chat based from phone support. What you used to be able to accomplish in minutes now can take an hour. Also the initial sales contact was so bad that if I had not previously worked with Appfolio for years, I would have moved to another product.

Yardi Voyager and Quickbooks Online

Reasons for Choosing AppFolio Property Manager

initially moved to Appfolio when another software company went out of business.

Reasons for Switching to AppFolio Property Manager

I had previously used Appfolio and it was far superior to my experience with several other software packages.
John

HOA Association Management

Reviewed on 2022-08-24

I think appfolio is a great property management software. The price is competitive with doorloop which I feel is its closet rival. As a property manager, I want to be able to run my properties with ease, and from home and appfolio makes that possible for me. I highly recommend it for all types of property management whether it's a few homes or a whole association.

Pros

What I enjoyed most about appfolio is how many features they had to assist with managing an HOA community. They have a cool feature most don't that allows the renter of the condo to also have a portal and login to take care of fees and dues. it helps us know who is an owner or a renter. that one simple feature makes things so much easier for myself and the board.

Cons

The ACH fees applied when paying online was something we received a lot of negative feedback about. Other companies charge around the same so it's not uncommon but they do offer no fees if you go with premium. Unforchatly premium is more expensive and we didn't need all of the extra features it comes with so it really wasn't worth it for us to pay more monthly. I wish appfolio could come up with a custom package where you pay for each feature that works best for you. Every property is different and it might make things more affordable and easier for property managers

Patricia

• Customer Support Software

Awesome Property Management Software!

Reviewed on 2022-09-01

AppFolio has made our company more efficient. I have used this software for 9 years. It is always evolving and new features are added on a continuing basis. Customer support listens to your concerns and tries to implement them if there is a huge need. Very efficient and timely customer support! I have used a few different PM software programs and this is by far the best.

Pros

The ease and simplicity of bookkeeping aspects. Even with little accounting experience, AppFolio is easy to use. The help section is phenomenal as it has videos and written tutorials, so you can learn whichever way you are most comfortable with! The maintenance area has everything a vendor or property manager needs to assess issues and relay them to the vendors. Reporting is top notch. So many reports to choose from and tailor to a company’s individual needs. Very easy to upload and download documents in PDF, jpeg, Word. Love that entries are time, date and user stamped. The texting function is extremely helpful and e-mailing within AppFolio for a record is awesome. Search function is terrific as the system will list everything that corresponds to what you typed in.

Cons

There are some accounting entries that the system seems to override in areas, thus transactions are not entered properly. Sometimes these are not caught until an owner receives a monthly statement.

Having a forecast feature for income / expenses for future years would be nice.

Elizabeth

Must Have

Reviewed on 2022-08-10

This makes my job a lot easier. AppFolio is always innovating and coming out with new improvements. I enjoy using it for it's ease of use for us as property managers as well as for the tenants.

Pros

I don't know how we ever functioned without our tenants having the ability to make payments online or place maintenance requests online, truly a game changer.

Texting the tenants is also more useful than I would have expected.

I also have found the resident forms very helpful, however, I wish we had the option for more tenant signatures because we have properties with up to to 28 tenants.

Cons

I would like the tenants to be able to see notes for closed work orders. Tenants have to call in to ask questions about closed work orders.

I would like more customizable bulk actions like:

Changing pricing/descriptions for multiple addresses or at least multiple units at the same time. Right now, we have about 1500 units. When we change pricing it is very time consuming and requires a team dedicated to changing those.

Deleting tenant portals for tenants of a unit all at the same time. To individually delete each tenant portal when a unit moves out and then opt them out of the tenant portal so they don't get future emails is very time consuming.

Verna
  • Used Monthly for 1+ year

The one stop App.

Reviewed on 2022-09-18

Overall I give this that the 10 because it's all One stop shop you don't have to have a bunch of different apps to do anything you just so you can handle everything that has to do with the complex maintenance rent application it's amazing.

Pros

The features that I like most is you have payment internet portal. You can also do your maintenance request and access any of your online documents like your lease. They even have an application inside for you to get renters insurance set up.

Cons

I dislike the fact that it cost $10 to process your payment by debit or credit card that's excessive I think.

Paola

Appfolio Property Management Review

Reviewed on 2022-02-11

Overall, we were expecting to achieve more efficient reporting results that would help us present better information and financials to our Board members. This backfired on us. However, end users (owners and tenants) seem to be happy with their online portal experience. They have sent us good reviews on the way we've made it simpler for them to pay their dues/rents which has resulted in lower ageing receivables.

Pros

I value that unlike many other Property Management programs, Appfolio does not integrate with many 3rd party platforms.
3rd party platforms can adversely affect the overall user experience of your clients; furthermore, the service Company with whom you signed the contract, can't control the quality of service of the 3rd party. So basically, your software company might be selling you a service that they have little control over.

Invoice payment is great. It has saved us a lot of time from our previous program.
I also really like the communications function.

Cons

Customer Service. Once you are enrolled, you are on your own.
Although Appfolio claims that have great online training videos, we all know these are too generic, and real life situations are not generic.
It is also impossible to get reliable over the phone support. It takes a support agent about 2 days to get back with you (if they ever do) Once you have them on the phone, they are not sufficiently trained to answer many questions regarding anything from reporting to accounting to program usage. This is a BIG con. We also don't like the fact that we are unable to receive over the phone payments

Valerie

• Customer Support Software

Great Software, needs timely customer care for established customers

Reviewed on 2021-11-16

Overall, I love the product and when I can get the assistance I need I am very happy. We aren't a huge company but we manage close to 300 doors, so we are respectable. We were the first users in our area and told everyone to switch to them. I still think they are better than any other PM software provider we have used and we have used several. My only complaint is the inability to get timely customer care responses. Honestly, service after the sale is VERY important!

Pros

Overall ease of use. Accounting based, online rent payments, and ability to connect all areas of property management together.

Cons

When we first started with Appfolio they were very quick to respond to our customer service needs. Now, all you get is an email that directs you to watch videos or to online chat. When you have already exhausted those options and you need to speak to ANYONE, it is impossible! I have waited over a month for someone to call me back. By the time they call I have forgotten what I needed, or the details of the transaction I needed help with. They need to hire more customer service reps. When they do call you they are very friendly and knowledgeable, but they usually give you a few minutes and if you need help with someone else while you have them on the phone they tell you to make another request. Then, it's back to the WAIT game.

Daniele
  • Industry: Commercial Real Estate Software

• Customer Support Software

Our Business Runs on AppFolio!

Reviewed on 2021-10-29

From the onboarding process to going live, AppFolio has been there for us! Their team worked with us every day during data migration and user training, so that we were confident once we went live. AppFolio is so user friendly and the Help Center so comprehensive that we rarely need to contact support, but even when we do need their help, the support team is friendly, knowledgeable and quick to respond. We couldn't be happier with our decision to move to AppFolio.

Pros

The ease of use. AppFolio makes every process seem simple. All of the information within AppFolio is easily searchable and our users don't need to be super tech savvy to use AppFolio with confidence.

Cons

We'd love to see AppFolio make a concerted effort to improve or add features for commercial properties like sales tracking/percentage rent billing. Even though the commercial property features aren't as robust as the residential features, I have no doubts that I will see these features in the future. AppFolio regularly releases new and improved features. They also maintain a robust user community wherein they take suggestions and let us know what suggestions are in the works.

Zak

Growing Together

Reviewed on 2021-07-06

Appfolio was a great decision when I was looking at Property Management Software. I have used other software but this one saves me so much time and frustration. I could not imagine my team using any other tool.

Pros

One of my favorite things about this software is that I feel like Appfolio is growing with my company. The software has come so far in the last couple years with lots of new features. There have been multiple occasions where I have a problem and then in a couple days I get notified that Appfolio has created a solution to my problem. It is actually very weird but I don't believe in coincidences so I just right it off as a great partnership.

Cons

I wish that I could change the bank accounts that the properties use currently to a new one without having to work with someone at Appfolio.

Sherry

Appfolio Review July2021

Reviewed on 2021-07-06

Appfolio is a great product and takes a lot of the user labor out.

Pros

I love how you can tie everything in from property to owner to tenant. You can click on the amount in any report to review a transaction. Attaching PDFs to the statements are fantastic. Communication is wonderful.

Cons

The finer accounting pieces. I would love to be able to run the balance sheet and click on Operating Cash to see what the balance of each bank account that makes up the Operating cash, then if I want to see by property, I could click on that total.

Reasons for Choosing AppFolio Property Manager

Cost was the biggest reason, but Appfolio has a better user friendly, less keypunch product.

MRI Software

Reasons for Switching to AppFolio Property Manager

We had another smaller company that we had been using Appfolio with and your upgrades throughout the years let us know you listen to your clients to improve your product. That was what helped us make our decision.
Voner

My AppFolio Experience

Reviewed on 2021-04-26

We have thoroughly enjoyed using AppFolio as our Property Management software. On the first page of this review I had to select "real estate" because we actually manage numerous multi-family properties and commercial properties. It has been a pleasure to use a software that was easy, makes sense, and being able to customize things to suit your individual needs. The only negative feedback I would have, is the time you have to wait for an answer from tech support, if it is not an easy question you can get resolved on a chat. And at times, chat is not available either. That has been my most challenging thing because a lot of times, my problems come up with a time sensitive issue and I wait much longer than I would prefer. I understand there are other customers, and I get that. My past experience with tech support has never been to wait more than a few hours and at the most one day. Hopefully, that can improve because otherwise, we just love this software!!! Thank you so much for making our jobs much easier :)

Pros

It is user friendly and it makes sense! It allows you to edit and change where necessary, without a lot of headache. We all love AppFolio!

Cons

Conversions are always challenging, so that was probably the toughest part of the process when we changed from another software. Everyone was great though to work with and helping us get everything up and running.

Stacey

• Customer Support Software

Newer user, Pleasant surprises, and managing challenges.

Reviewed on 2021-03-29

Our implementation team was great. We tested one building in the system (paid for it, not free) so that we had a real idea of what using it would be like. That gave part of our team a positive advantage. It is very easy to use although the language takes some getting use to and often at times -- people are up in arms about changes. If you can handle that, this software will be a great success.

Pros

It can be very user friendly if you invest the time to take advantage of what the system offers. It offers A LOT. When one thing doesn't work the way you want it to, it doesn't mean the system is bad. It is actually REALLY GOOD. It helps us encompass a lot of different platforms into one which was the main reason we chose it. We were pleasantly surprised how much we like using the software.

Cons

In our market, there are several items or tasks we need to perform or things we need to track that are often overlooked by property management software. Appfolio does know how to handle one task that is critical but it is not fully functional. When we choose the software, we thought because it was marketed as something that handled "NYC DHCR" leases but that's is misleading. As we were going live, we found out that it has limitations which resulted in us not being able to fully utilize in the way we thought we would. Once you discover things like this, it is quite difficult to get a total solution that is easy or quick available for use. This creates a real challenge and means we have to work around it but we want to be hopeful that we can help them continue to make advancements to fully handle the NYC market. In the meantime, we are stuck with challenges.

RealPage and Yardi Voyager

Reasons for Choosing AppFolio Property Manager

The product we were using was a dinosaur and it did not fully integrate with other platforms that we used.

Reasons for Switching to AppFolio Property Manager

The user experience and ease of navigation.
Derek

Modern Software for a Modern World

Reviewed on 2021-03-09

I love AppFolio. It really does make our jobs 10x easier. Property management is not glamourous and it is not easy, AF helps us make it just a little bit easier and glamourous. AF is a great platform that we enjoy using on a daily basis.

Pros

AppFolio fits in great with our culture and our business. It evolves as we do and caters to our needs. The "What's New" features are something that is looked forward to whenever they roll out. The ease of use is great and makes it very easy to onboard new employees and cross-train existing staff.

Cons

The #1 feature that would benefit our company would be a more streamlined and customizable API so that we could connect with other tools that we use. I think some of the APM Plus features should be included with the non-Plus version, or give us mid-sized businesses some a la carte options. THE WORKFLOWS! I love these workflows but they are too complicated for the lamen. I am fairly tech-savvy and it's too much for us. We've partnered with another outside company to create many workflows and automation using Monday.com and we would LOVE these to be inside AF.

Reasons for Switching to AppFolio Property Manager

The modern feel to it and the ease of use.
Allison

Promising Software / Horrible customer service

Reviewed on 2021-02-05

I could have had a great customer experience with appfolio, if they had better trained staff to answer your questions in a timely manner

Pros

I like the customization of this software. It is ideal if you manage a variety of portfolios. The dashboard and tasks menu are placed well and easy to navigate. The software uses a tab feature that allows to easily work with different tasks at a time. Excellent reporting features. Great mobile app

Cons

HORRIBLE customer service. The software is extremely robust, which will normally be a good thing. However, with that comes a lot of questions. Unfortunately only 1 out of 5 agents can help you. Most issues will have to be advanced to a senior agent . Once that happens you will have to EMAIL what your issue is or wait anywhere from 3-7 days for a scheduled phone call. So if your issue is time sensitive you are simply out of luck. I am seasoned property management professional, and I have worked with many softwares. Appfolio, by far is one of the most difficult I have worked with. There is countless steps to complete
everything. Of course that allows for a lot of customization, but understand it takes a long time to learn it.

Additionally there are promised features that don't work well. For example text messaging. You can text within the software, but there is no push notification. So if you are not inside the software or checking you email constantly, you won't know someone sent a text. So Pointless!!!. That is just one of many.
There is reason there is no free trial and they bound you to a one year contract.

Yardi Breeze

Reasons for Choosing AppFolio Property Manager

The software seemed to present more with a diverse portfolio

Reasons for Switching to AppFolio Property Manager

selling agent presented the product well. seemed like a good fit

Response from AppFolio

Hi Allison, thank you for reaching out to us with your feedback. We do have a guaranteed response rate of 24-48 hours but many issues to require us to follow-up with more information is it is a more complicated accounting question. We do have a robust Help & Training center if you need assistance with accounting. We hope we can improve your experience moving forward!

Michael

Better than expected

Reviewed on 2021-01-25

Pros

The ease of use and mobile app make this software very useful for property managers. For leasing, the application and lease signing process is pretty seamless once set-up. The Online Portal is also great as it helps cut down on unnecessary emails or calls to the office. Residents can pay rent, submit requests for maintenance, and sign lease renewals all through their Online Portal. The lease renewal interface is one of my favorite features as it has really cuts down on the amount of time I spend drafting and preparing renewals. This software offers a lot and they are always pushing out updates and new features which is great.

Cons

The biggest problem is customer support. Some requests take days or weeks to hear back from someone and in property management, we typically don't have days or weeks to wait for a fix to a problem we are experiencing. However, when someone does help, they tend to always be able to resolve our problems. I would also like to see more customization to the software. Little things like being able to add my own "reasons for move-out" to the drop down when selecting a reason for a move-out. Also adding the option for management to select "preferred/available times" when entering a maintenance request for a resident. Residents have this option when submitting via the online portal, but management does not if they are entering a request on behalf of a resident. The work around is just writing it in the access notes, but that seems disconnected since user submitted requests will show the preferred times in a different section so maintenance staff may overlook it since it will be in a different spot than usual.

Yardi Breeze

Reasons for Choosing AppFolio Property Manager

The Yardi Genesis software was not web based and only worked on 1 single computer and could not be used remotely. We needed software that was more inline with the times.

Reasons for Switching to AppFolio Property Manager

AppFolio seemed to have the most feature rich content and interface. Yardi Breeze was too new and lacked many basic features at the time we were looking to adopt new software. We needed to hit the ground running with all of the necessary features so we decided AppFolio was the right choice.

Response from AppFolio

Hi Dennis, thank you for taking the time to leave a review - we appreciate your feedback.

Mario

Appfolio: An Overall Property Management Solution

Reviewed on 2020-12-07

Appfolio definitely makes up for any short comings with their innovation and user friendly interface. We like their attention to detail and their progressive attitude towards the future of online property management solutions. I've used other property management systems in the past and they all have significant downsides, whether lacking in their online integration, being too complicated, overkill or some other glaring issue. We like and have grown to depend on Appfolio. Even with it's slight flaws, which are minimal, but hey, no online property management software is perfect.

Pros

We love the ease of use, flow of the interface, and the online integration, the cost is inline with other comparable software, so you definitely get what you pay for. We wish we could make use of all of the features the software has to offer, as there is so much to choose from. Their customer services is upstanding, and we make good use of the 24 hour tenant maintenance support line. We've used Appfolio for 6 years now, and so far we've had a good experience.

Cons

The cons while important are minimal. We face underlying program issues, such as with rent charges. The system is set up for 1st of the month rent charges ONLY, but we have different rent due dates ranging from the 1st to the 15th. This causes havoc for us as some tenants with due dates other than the 1st get charged twice in the longer months. We have to pay them back and it can be very frustrating for them as they have to wait days for their funds. As well the tenant's online portal doesn't always show the correct amount owed as it automatically includes charges for the upcoming month, which confuses most tenants. The ease of use is also a double edged sword since if not careful, as with a lot of programs, you can make system changes, and data or journal entry mistakes that can be difficult to fix. While the customer support is helpful they are not always the end all, so you might be expected to fix your own problems if needed. In some cases customer service can only take you so far. If the issue is long lasting they may start to wane on their responses to you with assistance or be unable to help you. But this is explained when you begin orientation so you should take the responsibility of educating yourself on the system before using it.

Yardi Breeze, Propertyware and Buildium

Reasons for Choosing AppFolio Property Manager

Yardi was sufficient in the past, pre-2008, but somewhere along the line they changed the format to be more complicated, to add they didn't even include online capabilities. So when we "upgraded" to Yardi Genesis it proved to be less user friendly than it's predecessor. The functions were clunky and just not intuitive, our accountant had to take class after class and read the entire manual over and over again to finally get it. Simple things such as charging late fees, rent receipts and even just looking up a tenant or owner statement was a process. The data back up was also a hassle, being that we had to have onsite servers holding the data. They finally rolled out their online solution which was a third party software company and it was very lacking, not to mention an added cost.

Reasons for Switching to AppFolio Property Manager

Besides being seemingly overall better than the others, they were the best at describing the data migration process, as this was one of our main concern at the time. Some other software systems had trouble migrating data from Yardi, and Appfolio specialized in it, which made us feel much more comfortable. They also have a lot of features we needed, such as report generation controls, online systems, and ease of use. Again at that time the data migration was a big issue as we were having problems with our current software company concerning our data.
Brayden

AppFolio is Powerful, Take the time to study it

Reviewed on 2020-11-10

Pros

This software is amazing. It has so many features from initial contact with prospective renters all the way through the rental process. It allows you to initiate online payments to vendors and owners. It is capable of creating HTML packets for posting to websites manually. It also posts automatically to about 30 other websites. It is awesome.

Cons

It has taken a lot of work to learn and I’m still learning a lot and I’ve been using it for 7 years. You have to treat it like learning a new language and dive in to understand each facet of the software.

Rent Manager and Yardi Corom

Reasons for Choosing AppFolio Property Manager

Quickbooks couldn’t provide the services that AppFolio can. AppFolio brought our small property management company to a whole new level.

Reasons for Switching to AppFolio Property Manager

AppFolio is consistently improving. It is organized and professional and the customer support is incredible.
Benjamin

Well-Rounded & Reliable

Reviewed on 2020-11-05

Appfolio has world class customer service with extremely quick response time. Implementing the software was as easy as it could have been. It still takes time and effort, but it is certainly worth it to be on such a streamlined software.

Pros

I love the ability to track collections, maintenance orders, and Tenant info/documents from my smartphone. This software gives me the option to have any staff work remote as needed and still do our jobs at 100% capacity.

Cons

Appfolio does a nice job at continuing to develop better features. One area that needs improvements is the ability to do inspections. It takes forever for photos to upload while at the property and uses a ton of data. Would be nice to be able to have the inspections saved locally to the phone and then upload all at once while on WiFi. This would speed up inspections drastically. Improving inspection templates is also needed.

Reasons for Choosing AppFolio Property Manager

We used a bunch of Microsoft Excel spreadsheets. Data was easily messed up, and it offered no mobile features. It wasn’t specifically designed for real estate.

Microsoft Excel

Reasons for Switching to AppFolio Property Manager

Appfolio had a sleek look and better support being offered.

Response from AppFolio

Hi Benjamin, thanks for taking the time to leave your feedback!

Susan

Comprehensive Solution to Rental Property Management

Reviewed on 2020-10-05

We use Appfolio to manage our multi-family rentals and our commercial rentals all in one robust property management platform. We enjoy the multitude of automated functions that promote a streamlined workflow from maintenance to management and the ease of collaboration this suite provides. The real-time activity tracking provides excellent audit control, and the products intuitive design combined with content rich training materials make this one of the easiest programs to learn and use. The search feature is hands down the greatest resource for saving time when you need help with any feature.

Pros

That the software is intuitive, user friendly and the support and training are outstanding. I am truly impressed with ongoing emphasis to improve the software based on customer input and trends in the industry. The company's farsighted mentality gives us comfort this solution will continue to serve us well in the years to come, and the solid reputation and business model provides a sense of security only previously matched by one other software product, and AppFolio has grow to become an industry standard.

Cons

That the Guest Card widget cannot operate independent of the listing. We do not always have a listing, then we are forced to manually record guest cards. If there was a widget just for the Guest Card then we could embed this as a link on our website and prospects can feed data directly into a guest card which we can then utilize the tools such as waitlist or sending a application, etc. Some of the seemingly simplest and easiest product suggestions seem never to gain any traction with the programmers. Like asking to add make and model to the fixed asset report filters.

Brooks

• Customer Support Software

Best software on the market

Reviewed on 2020-10-09

Overall, we are extremely happy customers and plan to be Appfolio customers for life.

Pros

Appfolio has not only a lot of functionality, but is easy to use across our entire organization. It has become the primary backbone of our property management business and we truly view Appfolio as a Partner, not a technology service provider.

Cons

Our primary critique with Appfolio is that they tend not to let other good real estate tech products plug into their software via API. In other words, they like to build new products/functions in-house instead of via partnership or integration. There are pros and cons, but in general I would like to see Appfolio play nicer with other prop tech products.

Yardi Voyager and Buildium

Reasons for Choosing AppFolio Property Manager

Propertyware was an inferior product with a lot of problems and was not going to let us scale our business and be as successful as we have been.

Reasons for Switching to AppFolio Property Manager

Appfolio is a superior product and company who actively invests and innovates.