SumUp

We believe in the everyday hero

4.4/5
4.3/5
4.5/5
Customer Support Software
4.4/5

Nikita
  • Industry: Media Production

• Customer Support Software

Great software with improvement to go

Reviewed on 7/4/2019

Pros

I love how I can easily invoice, track my payments, record expenses, report VAT etc.

Cons

Unfortunately after shifting from external support of bank accounts to internal it started to work poorly, with many important options dropped completed, like support of Amazon cards.

Tobias
  • Industry: Design

• Customer Support Software

Usable for the entire company

Reviewed on 7/8/2019

I am self-employed and do all my corporate accounting (simple accounting) and tax reporting. My tax consultant checks my entries and uses them to prepare the annual balance sheet. I also fully automate the respective advance return for sales tax with Debitoor.

Pros

I like that with Debitoor you can basically do all the bookkeeping. This ranges from the recording of expenses and revenues to the calculation of company balance sheets and the advance return for sales tax. My tax advisor is fine with her own login and can export all data, etc. This is very convenient.

Cons

In some places it is a bit difficult to understand the interface. Sometimes it is not the system's fault but also the EU's bills. Sometimes you get confused with the taxes. The OCR scanning of expense receipts is not always correct for automatic recognition.

• Customer Support Software

Lack of the basic integrations

Reviewed on 10/10/2018

Pros

- Very simple to use, other programs should follow their example as for UI / design
- Relatively competitive prices
- One of the very few apps available for the Spanish market/taxation

Cons

- No Stripe integration
- Very primitive and problematic Paypal integration
- WooCommerce integration is through IEX Debitoor integration (external, not free)
- Really messed up data export (all in Spanish, btw) and importing your data into a new program might turn out difficult not relying on third party professionals.

Adnan

Efficient and practical program

Reviewed on 7/4/2019

All in all: I can recommend this software.

Pros

The user interface is very simple.
I write all my offers and bills exclusively with debitoor. I have my finances totally under control and can easily digitally review all my expenses.
The app runs seamlessly (android). I honestly do most of my work on my phone while I'm on the go, thanks to debitoor.
The customer service is quick to reply and friendly.

Cons

I don't have anything negative to report.

• Industry: Accounting Software

• Customer Support Software

Debitoor for the freelancer who wants to keep up to date with their business

Reviewed on 3/31/2020

Debitoor is used by our one man business clients. We have found that they are able to see what is happening in their businesses from a financial perspective using this software. We then halp them with more detailed reporting and statutory reporting on a monthly basis.

Pros

Debitoor is great for our clients that run their own businesses as a one man show. They use it to send invoices to clients when onsite and when they are not onsite the software can tell you when your client has received and opened your invoice. This is great for small one man businesses as one can then immediately follow up on when payment will be made.

Cons

Debitoor does not allow for the full accounting function to be done on it, but it is a great tool for a one man business to have so they keep up to date with what is happening in the business as well as for simple cash flow and income statement reports .

James
  • Industry: Farming

• Customer Support Software

Great product but can improve

Reviewed on 2/7/2019

Taking payments from various credit and debit cards. But we are seasonal so having a monthly fee was not cost effective. This product solved that issue.

Pros

Ease of use when it works. simple pricing structure.
Nice interface and like the ability to create shop items and groups.

Cons

Reporting in web interface is very limited. Sales and revenue reports need to be customisable. Items defined in the shop need to be reporting on as configured in their groups. Otherwise what is the point of having groups in the POS software/
Would be good if there was a web version that can integrate with online payment systems so that I only need to preocess reports from 1 system rather than 2
Blue tooth connecting is very flakey. Especially when pairing with another device. We have had lots of issues getting blue tooth connection to work and stay working.

Perfect for small companies

Reviewed on 8/2/2019

Pros

no monthly fee, just a ver small percentage of income which is taken before it goes into account. cheaper than any band or world pay option for small companies. machine is also portable and stylish

Cons

nothing. does exactly what I need. wouldn't change anything

William

• Customer Support Software

very usefull and high quality German accounting tool.

Reviewed on 7/4/2019

Debitoor saves a lot of Time if you use it in your Small to Medium Business Case, you can manage your Income and Costs in one online platform, also the User Experience is very nice.

Pros

The perfect Integration in other tools and bank accounts like Elster and Kontist.

Cons

The Customer Support has not a good knowledge base about their tool, when I had questions I had to help me by myself.

Philipp
  • Industry: Translation & Localization

Reviewed on 7/4/2019

Creating invoices, paying my taxes, managing my contacts - that all is much easier and faste with Debitoor.

Pros

It's easy, it's fast and contains many functionalities that easy my working day

Cons

Once you selected the way to pay your taxes, you cannot reverse it but have to create a new account

Hendrik
  • Industry: Events Services

What a gem

Reviewed on 6/29/2022

Been great for business and came in very handy

Pros

A great gadget to take payments anywhere on the go

Cons

Must have a phone signal to be able to use it. If your phone dies or loses signal you can’t accept payments

Enrique

Easy start for freelancers

Reviewed on 7/4/2019

Pros

Very easy to use
Good documentation
Efficient Autocomplete when creating business expenses.
No credentials needed to report tax summaries to Elster (Germany)

Cons

Maybe some customer agents were a bit lazy when i asked for some very specific information about business expenses.

lexoffice

Reasons for Switching to SumUp

Debitoor is more internationalised by supporting different currencies and languages.
Koch
  • Industry: Facilities Services

• Customer Support Software

Price / performance is good. Easy work.

Reviewed on 7/4/2019

It would be nice if it is saved automatically. Often it happens if not cached, everything has to be entered again.Otherwise, I am convinced of the simplicity. Sufficient for my company size. Price performance fits.

Pros

easy
After a short training and data maintenance, easy work possible.
Great support. Reaction very fast and helpful.

Cons

inflexible
Adjustments to your own templates would be nice, but as far as it is, can be worked well.

Jens
  • Industry: Music

Debitoor

Reviewed on 7/4/2019

After my DJ Jobs i creat directly in the club my invoice ! I never forget to invoice my booker ! Thats Amazing

Pros

Its an easy system where you creat invoices in less then 2 min

Cons

There is nothing to complain. I have my perfect payplan and everything what i need

Carsten
  • Industry: Consumer Electronics

• Customer Support Software

Easy to use, but not fully complete

Reviewed on 7/4/2019

It really enables one to do accounting without much detailed knowledge.

Pros

It's really easy to use. What it can do, it does really well. Both the browser interface as well as the app.

Cons

It doesn't support some basic things like loans. Pricing is okish. For some it might be cheaper than lexoffice, for some it might be more expensive.

lexoffice

Easier start.
osvaldo

Sumup very top app

Reviewed on 7/6/2020

Pros

Easy to use application and very effective in all transactions, super fast reading

Cons

The application could have a function of extracting transactions made during the day sent by email

Sophie
  • Industry: Graphic Design Software

All in All very good

Reviewed on 7/4/2019

Pros

I have this tool now since three years and it is very handy once you know how it works. Also my tax accountant likes it because its easy for him to use it once a year to do my taxes.

Cons

I dont like the look of the invoices. I always do them twice so my clients get real nice ones.

Dave
  • Used Monthly for 1+ year

I love sumup

Reviewed on 4/15/2021

Sum up is great. Great prices and always reliable when we need it. Easy to connect up and charge cards

Pros

Easy to use. Low cost per transactions. Great to link to an online shop too. Easy to make invoices. Items details can be inputted.

Cons

I don’t think there are any issues I’ve had yet, other then the inability to have several logins to manage a company account with ease.

Magda
  • Industry: Architecture & Planning

The very easy app

Reviewed on 12/7/2016

I've been using it for my small business, that's exactly what I need to keep me in less mess!
Easy & cheap for startups!

Pros

Easy invoicing and expense records

Dirk
  • Industry: Design

Saved me so much time!

242/5000
Debitoor helps me save a lot of time (and money). I can concentrate on my job and do not have to deal with accounting. Especially at the beginning of my freelance career Debitoor helped me a lot.

Pros

I like the simple interface and the functionality. I do not need a tutorial to understand how Debitoor works, everything works intuitively.

Cons

I would like to see more design options for offers and invoices.

Sebastian
  • Industry: Motion Pictures & Film

Good for Small business

Reviewed on 7/8/2019

I have a simple overview about my money

Pros

That i see all my bank accounts and transactions

Cons

That i cannot add two transactions into one,. I want to customize my transactions

Austin
  • Industry: Alternative Medicine

Does the job well

Reviewed on 1/23/2023

Overall good, better than others I've tried.

Pros

With the 3G reader (not requiring the phone app) it is easy to take payments from any just about any card.

Cons

Can be tricky setting up the card readers to work nicely with wifi and 3G,

Stripe

Reasons for Choosing SumUp

Excessive payback charges and lack of customer support.

PayPal

Had previous experience with Sumup
Manuel
  • Industry: Photography

• Customer Support Software

One of the most important tools for every company

Reviewed on 7/4/2019

It's really fast, easy to use and since I am using it, I really like to write invoices. Before I did code my own system to create pdf invoices automatically, then I used word-files and an excel sheet to write down anything I need for the month, but I really hated doing it because it was so much work and it took me so much time. The most awesome feature I love about Debitoor is the option to import my business account so that I can go through it and use the incoming and outgoing payments as a todo list.

Pros

At first I found it very hard to get started with invoices and all that stuff that comes with starting your own company. I tested a lot of different softwares and I decided to go with Debitoor because it was the most easiest tool to use and I love that everything works out so quickly with just a few clicks, because I really want to focus on my business and not on the invoicing.

Cons

I would love to see more AI improvements that maybe automatically do or suggest stuff for me to reduce the amount of time I need to spend with Debitoor, but besides that I love using it.

Shanna

• Customer Support Software

Easy to accept mobile payments

Reviewed on 8/30/2022

Love it! I take it with me whenever I do markets

Pros

I love traveling with my SumUp reader knowing I will always be able to very easily make in-person sales. The card reader is very easy to use and keeps the customer flow moving very quickly.

Cons

Sometimes the reader stalls when processing a lot of quick transactions but is easy to re-start it to get it going again.

PayPal Zettle

Reasons for Choosing SumUp

I found the SumUp reader easier to use and had better reviews rom my colleagues.

Square Payments

Reasons for Switching to SumUp

I had hear SumUp was easier to use - and I am glad I picked it!
Jack
  • Industry: Hospitality

• Customer Support Software

Revolutionised our business pretty much

Reviewed on 11/3/2022

Very happy - this is a very versatile and powerful product.

Pros

The slick integration between EPOS and card payments, stock control, goodeats and reporting. The customisation options and intuitive interface are a lot slicker than other systems we've used.

Cons

We've found that some of the custom payment and cheque options including custom service charge amounts is slightly clunkier than other systems we've used.

Revel Systems

Reasons for Choosing SumUp

We moved to a cashless system during the pandemic and required an online payment option for customers to pay safely whilst social distancing at our venues. Our previous card reader supplier was also incredible stressful and unreliable.

Reasons for Switching to SumUp

integration with ResDiary, front end and customer facing aesthetics, customer support.
Alexander
  • Industry: Translation & Localization

• Customer Support Software

Good system for writing invoices and basic income/expense tracking

Reviewed on 7/4/2019

As stated above, overall I'm happy with Debitoor - what it actually does it does fairly well. But I don't like the fact that they try to advertise themselves as this all-in-one invoicing and accounting solution when the feature set is still very limited. For example, you can't even create or upload your own invoice templates (something many similar services allow) - you have to set up your invoice template using Debitoor's limited options.

Pros

I like the fact that it's easy to create invoices and you can track whether the recipient has received them. You can also link your bank accounts and categorize and track income and expenses (i.e. whether an invoice has been paid, etc.)

For these purposes, Debitoor works really well.

Cons

Despite Debitoor's claims, I wouldn't use the system for preparing and filing taxes or working with a tax advisor unless your underlying situation is very simple. As soon as things get even slightly more complex, you find that Debitoor simply doesn't support a number of different scenarios. My tax advisor has also said that the reports/export files that they receive are more or less unusable and do not conform to standard German accounting practice.