Donarius

Church management system with donation tracking features

4.8/5
4.4/5
4.6/5
Customer Support Software
4.8/5

Curt

Donarius Was a Game Changer For Us

Reviewed on 2019-12-05

Donarius helped us move beyond Excel spreadsheets, greatly simplifying our bookkeeping processes, giving us greater accuracy and helping us generate EOY reports effortlessly.

Pros

Donarius is super easy to setup and use. As with any new software, there is a learning curve, but it isn't long. My wife does our bookkeeping and she had no trouble at all getting used to the software and learning the ins and outs of it.

Cons

My least favorite aspect of Donarius initially was the very basic user interface. It isn't pretty. But the functionality overcomes that part. After all, it's what it does that matters, not just how it looks.

Rebecca

• Customer Support Software

Simple and easy to use, great support

Reviewed on 2020-06-04

The ease of use every week with absolutely no frustration gives a peace of mind that is hugely valuable.

Pros

What I like most about Donarius is its simplicity and ease of use. Prior to finding Donarius, we had a church finances program that was very expensive, and tech support was outrageous. Tech support comes with the purchase of the Donarius software, no extra charge. I can enter each week's giving in just a few minutes, post to each individual's account, and produce a weekly report with ease. Also, generating year-end giving statements is as easy as the click of a button. If I need an interim report on an individual's giving or a summary of some kind, tech support is quickly available if I need help. I recommend Donarius highly.

Cons

In the years I have been using Donarius, there has been no negative.experience.

Duane
  • Industry: Arts & Crafts

Donarius for Art Gallery of Northumberland

Reviewed on 2016-11-30

The Art Gallery of Northumberland purchased Donarius to provide better and prompter service to the Gallery's donors and members.

The product is easy to install. It was straightforward to customize the product to use the Gallery's name and logo on printed materials.

Reporting on the overall membership was at times problematic, in part because the person doing the reporting was not that familiar with the reporting capability.

The one time we had a problem with the software - it seemed to be reverting to a previous logo on occasion - we got very quick and helpful support that had the problem corrected in minutes.

The interface is outdated - it is not point-and-click graphics, but instead looks line an old-fashioned "line command" interface.

All things considered, it provides good value for the money.

Pros

Donor tracking capability. Donation totals and reporting for tax reporting.

Cons

Interface is old-fashioned. Does not provide integration with other client-management software.

Debbie

• Customer Support Software

Great software for the money

Reviewed on 2022-07-20

Easy to use and customer service is quick to respond to any questions you may have!

Pros

I think this is very user friendly. Very easy to add donors and maintain their information

Cons

I wish you could have a way to enter your own reports, to be able to select the parameters that you want to use.

Response from Nuverb Systems

Hi Debbie,

You can add your own reports by displaying a report, then clicking [Memorize] in the menu bar. It will remember all the settings you selected when you did the report, so you can later run it with the same settings.

Louie

Sean

• Customer Support Software

Donarius may be just right for you.

Reviewed on 2020-03-18

Donarius offers a wide-range of features but it does all come with a cost.

Pros

Donarius offers a wide-range of interface-ability. It works with more church management programs than I can list here. One of the best features it has is the ability to print a fabulous color directory. No need to pay an arm and a leg for a nice color photo directory.

Cons

Like most church management programs, it can be expensive, especially for smaller struggling church communities. Yet the need to manage your church remains, and the costs go up.

Tithe.ly

Reasons for Switching to Donarius

The church I work for had been in the market for some time and chose to give Donarius a test drive.
Robin

Small church usage

Reviewed on 2019-12-11

The benefits of this program are great. I can create from the main page individual reports, groups, by amounts, specific time periods, it is a great program.

Pros

There are many things I like about this program. It is very easy to use, entering names and address, entering contributions. It is a really good program. Get any type of report of want. And the tax letter is customizable and easier to use than using QuickBooks.

Cons

The only thing I wish I could do is the ability to arrange donation page. It works fine the way it is but I would like to rearrange the layout.

Sandy

Review of Donarius

Reviewed on 2019-12-10

We use the Donarius system to keep track of our church tithes and offerings. It is simple to use and just what we needed for our small church. I have recommended this product to other organizations.

Pros

Ease of use and very affordable. It suits our needs very well.

Cons

A little more flexibility with reports, but normally fine for our small church use.

QuickBooks Desktop Enterprise

Reasons for Switching to Donarius

Donarius was much easier to implement for what we wanted. We do the accounting and bookkeeping on Quickbooks for the church.
Blair

• Customer Support Software

Works well for what it is

Reviewed on 2019-10-03

Overall, it's a good software for a smaller church and at a great price tag. I would recommend it for someone who doesn't mind an older user interface and who is willing to do a bit of digging when looking for certain information regarding donations.

Pros

The software is simple and effectively tracks donations. You can get various information regarding donations, tracking and giving intervals. It produces good year end receipts. It's easy to back up to ensure that you don't lose your data. It's a great price for a smaller church.

Cons

It's a bit clunky and the user interface is outdated. It's not always easy or straightforward to get the information you're looking for. It certainly does the job and is great for a small church, but larger churches would find it difficult, in my opinion.

John

Church Donation Management

Reviewed on 2022-04-09

There is really only one word for overall experience…exceptional!
Customer support is outstanding. The few questions that I had when setting up the program were answered quickly and clearly, either by phone or email. I would recommend this software to any church.

Pros

Donarius is easy to use, very reliable and bug free. Although all different types of donations are handled easily, the PAD unit (pre-authorized debit) is exceptional!…saving many hours throughout the year, as monthly donations are entered automatically.
Tax receipts can be customized for your organization, and can be issued annually (for most) or instantly for those making a single donation.

Cons

There is really nothing that I don’t like about the program.

Michael

Using Donarius on Linux

Reviewed on 2022-03-29

Week to week church business, and it does great.

Pros

Simple, secure, and user friendly software with excellent customer service.

Cons

Not a Donarius issue, but it would be great if they released a Linux variation. I have used it primarily under Linux (usually a Ubuntu derivative) and I have to fight with Wine to get it loaded every time I upgrade my wife's computer. Again, not the fault of Donarius......I just like Linux over Windows....and sometimes they don't play well. Good news is.....every time I upgrade computers and have to start fresh....once I get it installed on Linux......it works perfectly!

Jane
  • Industry: Fund-Raising

I LOVE OUR DONARIUS PROGRAM

Reviewed on 2016-12-01

As a small non-profit food pantry (we serve 37,000 clients a year and record about $200,000 to $250,00 in donations a year)and I couldn't be more pleased as a Donarius user. It fits our needs perfectly and actually has some features that we haven't even gotten around to using. Of the many programs I've used through the years - of any kind - I've never experienced better or more personal customer support. A program is only as good as the support you receive when the day comes that something goes wrong. I've had issues that were computer related, not at all a fault of the Donarius program, yet still received literally hours of support to try to work through the problems to get me back in operation. I would (and have) recommend this program to anyone that wants a simple, effective and easy to learn donations program. It has a great help section that literally takes you through every step of every function available - in language anyone can follow and understand. It is easy to get started using yet can be customized as you go to meet pretty much any situation you might encounter. Other programs have been developed since our Pantry first started using Donarius, but if I were to start over today, I would ,without a doubt, choose Donarius again. Great product at a great price - proving the old adage "you get what you pay for" totally wrong. Don't be fooled by the modest price - this is a great program backed up by great customer support. (Get it now before they wise up and jack up the price LOL.)

Pros

Simple and intuitive yet comprehensive in meeting our needs. Also great customer service response.

Cons

It may be me not exploring the possibilities thoroughly, but it seems like some of the template letters I've tried to write were restricted in their length so I wasn't always able to use them to personalize large mailings. (Instead, I just did a generic newsletter and generated labels.)

David

• Customer Support Software

Does a great job for the price

Reviewed on 2012-01-01

Nothing I looked at when I purchased this in early 2010 came close to Donarious for meeting my needs... and the price is great!

I highly recommend getting the optional module for customizing receipts. It is helpful if you have a little backround in software code or HTML writing (or have access to such a person) to create the receipt templates, but it is fairly flexible and I was able to come up with something I like. Once that is done, you don't have to revisit that issue again unless you change your mind about how you want it to look. During that first year, I believe they'll give you one free customized receipt done for you.

I tried the "relationships and families" option and didn't ultimately find it useful for our purposes. Your mileage may vary. Thus far, I haven't had any need for the other modules. I haven't used the email features yet, but I anticipate doing so in the future. Trying any or all of the optional modules is free and buying them is pretty cheap.

Pros

For years I kept track of contributions the same way as with the rest of our church finances... with Quicken. As our church grew that became less and less satisfactory and I looked for a separate program to track contributions. Mostly what I found were online services, which I wasn't interested in due to ongoing cost and requiring our money counters to have immediate and reliable access to a computer AND internet... which wasn't convenient in our situation. And the few standalone programs I found had not been updated for sometime.

Then I found Donarious. The price is quite reasonable, email queries are answered promptly, and it is fairly easy to use. It is amazing that at this price they offer not only a 1 year warranty, but offer to customize the program for your needs during that period!

It has saved me a lot of time, especially when generating receipts, which with my old system was labor intensive. Give it a try!

Cons

It has just a "name" field instead of separate fields for last name and first name. If all your donors have names like John Smith, then that is fine, but in our multi-cultural society, that causes complications. And it won't tolerate quotes in the names, so you can't get around it that way. The best solution I found, which is satisfactory, is to enter the names in LAST, FIRST format.

At least in the version I have, the pre-made receipts and some reports have a spot for a "check #", which is fine if you use that, but I don't take the time to enter it. Unfortunately, those pre-made receipts and reports then show "check #?" in each entry, which is kind of crude. No one sees the reports but me and I use custom receipts so it hasn't been an issue for me.

Lourdes

• Customer Support Software

Works well for simple use

Reviewed on 2016-11-30

Donarius works well once you get the hang of it. Could be improved in some ways; in our case, it serves its purpose in issuing official tax receipts and tallying the donations. Revising the report format can be a bit tricky - trial and error to get the look you want. Printing the reports in a particular way (landscape/portrait/ etc. )can be improved as the layout seems a bit 'cluttered'. I guess the features are there, it's just that we don't have the opportunity to explore and experiment - we're fine with just printing the receipts and a general report showing the amounts and dates. Louie (the owner/programmer) is okay for customer support - he responds pretty quickly and is helpful; one time though when I phoned he was in a relative's house so couldn't assist at that time. It is still a pet peeve of mine that whenever I key in a donation, it defaults to the first name in the database, so if I miss that portion, the donation will be credited to the wrong person. I prefer that the first entry is just 'blank'' so user is 'forced' to key in the correct donor code. Other improvements can be a report that shows more color, graphs, multiple 'types' of donations tallied in one page, etc. (which I do in Excel for presentation to Board and management). Overall, for the amount we paid one time, and compared with other software I researched with a monthly fee, for our purposes, Donarius is great!

Pros

Pretty straightforward if you know how to use it

Cons

First entry for donation defaults to the first person in the database - can lead to errors if you don't catch it.
Bit tricky to change the format of receipt.

Ellen

Donarius Reporting

Reviewed on 2019-05-19

Over all it is a good program for tracking donations. I would like to see a checkbook account that could use input from Donarius.

Pros

We have been using Donarius software for over 10 years and we have been very pleased with the products ability for recording our member's donations. The program seems to be very accurate and very easy to use for some of our beginners. It is very user friendly and takes very little time to train new users how to input all information. The customer support has been great, and are very prompt to help you out of a jamb. They will stay with you until the problem is resolved and you feel comfortable in how they have helped you. We have recommended the program to several other churches and will continue to do that in the future.

Cons

There are a few things that we feel might make using the program a little better for the user to not miss simple things. One area is the type of currency that is being input. The current process is to identify if a check or cash and coin. We have found that if you miss putting in a type that the program defaults to coin. We would think that if you fail to put a type of donation there should be an alert on the screen to remind you to put something in this spot before continuing. Also on the tax reporting for members it seems a little cumbersome at times to get just one individual report and also if you need to retrieve a prior years report or to adjust amissed contribution it really won't let you.

Response from Nuverb Systems

Explained to customer how to resolve the issues in the 'Cons' section.

Ian

Donarius for Me

Reviewed on 2016-11-30

Getting started with Donarius was a bit challenging at first, mainly because I was not, at the time, computer literate. The program was very easy to learn with my limited skills and the support, when needed, was excellent and easy to follow. After having used a manual program for tracking donations, Donarius was a dream. Entering information for each donor and the categories available made for great ease. Providing weekly reports to the treasurer in printed form and in the many choices of format available was done with ease. I am particularly happy with being able to send a Tax Receipt by e-mail. It is a perfect method and a great money saving feature of the program. The workload for myself will increase shortly with the addition of two more Churches in the Parish to look after. Not only that, but our Church is partnered with a coalition called Nelson Friends of Refugees and we will issue tax receipts for donations made to the coalition, which, incidentally, is not registered as a charity and therefore unable to issue the Tax Receipts. I anticipate the increased workload to be handled with ease, thanks to the wonderful Donarius software. Any possible problems which might occur I am most confident in Louie helping me solve them.
In conclusion, the program is well designed and entering information wherever required was very simple. The Help portion for all operations which might be required I found invaluable. I figured if a person could read he could do the program.

Pros

It is clear to read on the screen. Entering and tracking Pledges is simple and the quarterly reports etc. reflect amounts donated and are easy to follow for the donor.

Cons

The comment on the quarterly report that says "To fulfill your pledge, please give......"

Brian

Donarius

Reviewed on 2019-12-13

- the software is fairly user-friendly
- this program allows for data entry of donations without impacting the actual accounting software (requires double entry, however, we record the donations as a summary; if we need the details we simply look it up in Donarius)
- receipt printing at calendar year end is so quick and easy - the authorized signature can be imported and printed on each receipt

Pros

- easy to add several categories for donations for one donor
- if donations for a certain date are accidentally recorded on the wrong date (for instance, donations are recorded on a Monday instead of Sunday), the software allows for correcting the date on all donations recorded on that date
- reports can be based on fiscal year or calendar year
- the ability to specify how the donation was made (cash, cheque, credit card) and if cash, the breakdown of bills and coins. A report can be printed as a deposit slip
- the ability to show donations for any period, including combined fiscal or calendar years
- option to email receipts as PDF
- ability to export reports to Excel to further customize reports or to add notes
- ability to restore and entire backup or just additional data

Cons

- restoring a backup is easy, however, the backup needs to saved to a device and cannot be sent by email
- you can report on donations using a line graph, but the predetermined increments are too large for our purposes (it would be nice to be able to customize this report)

David

Donarius Review

Reviewed on 2019-12-06

As described earlier, I am the envelope steward for the church, so am using this program to track and receipt donations. I am just coming up to 1 year of usage and as yet, have not encountered any problems or concerns. It was quite easy to learn, and if there were any questions, they were easily answered by support

Pros

I am the envelope steward for the church so was looking for something that was user friendly and would meet my needs for entering and retrieving financial data. Donarius met these criteria and I have no second thoughts or doubts regarding my decision. The data entry is very easy and if there are any questions or concerns, they are handled in a very timely and efficient manner by support.

Cons

Although I only use the program in a limited fashion, I really haven't run across anything that I don't like about it.

Nathan

Simple Donation Tracking Software

Reviewed on 2019-05-10

When I first began using Donarius, I was a bit disappointed with what it could do. I knew that there had to be some options to speed up our check depositing process. However, those options were much more expensive! By finding tips to make our workflow more efficient, we end up having very little downtime when making our check deposits.

Pros

The software is fairly minimal, which makes it easy to find the things you need. I am able to add checks quickly because there are such few clicks. Very rarely do I need to use my mouse to click on anything unless I make a mistake.

The pricing for the software is also unbeatable. I have looked at a variety of other software that have additional features, but the pricing structures are usually a subscription fee. Paying a low one-time fee makes this a valuable program for many non-profits!

Cons

Limited features do mean that you can't do all that you want. Ideally, I would love to be able to scan a large batch of checks and have them matched to the donor with the amount entered in as well. This would greatly speed up the process to a matter of minutes and would be an additional feature I would pay for.

I have developed a workflow of using keyboard shortcuts to get to the appropriate donation box. I wish that I could designate which type of donation I am entering so I don't have to worry about putting it in the correct category. When we enter donations, they are all grouped together, but in Donarius, I still have to go to the field and enter the amount in.

Response from Nuverb Systems

Explained to customer how to do some of what he requested in the 'Cons' section.

Douglas

• Customer Support Software

Excellent product - especially for the price!

Reviewed on 2016-12-01

I have used Donarius for 7 years. It is simple but does all a small charity like ours needs. Reports, letters, receipts, etc. require formatting codes, like the old days with word processors. But examples are provided and with a little effort, I have been able to get what I need. The basics of donor and donation entry are straightforward. It makes receipting very easy - it does a great job of keeping all that straight. Able to use Canadian postal codes and Canadian receipting requirements. Customer service is unbeatable - usually, there is a personal response to an email within the hour. The price means that every charity no matter how small can have a dedicated donor database with receipting capabilities. No more spreadsheets. Like any relational database, it has its complexities if you want to use its full abilities. But it is easy to get started and really, for the price, you have nothing to lose by trying it. Highly recommended.

Pros

easy to get started
excellent at receipting
excellent customer service
very affordable

Cons

formatting codes - I have been able to get what I need but probably would customize more if I didn't have to wrestle with these. However, I do understand that for the price, we probably shouldn't expect WYSIWYG
inactive donors - standard definition doesn't work for us

Valerie

• Customer Support Software

Recommendation for reliable easy to use accounting system

Reviewed on 2019-12-05

I am not a professional accountant but I have happily used this programme for 7 years.
I ENJOY working with this east-to-use data entry programme. It doesn't require too much weekly time and I can prepare reports and answer questions quickly.
Support is readily available from Donarius.

Pros

Easy to understand and simple to use. Reliable. Excellent support from helpful staff. Great upgrades.
Ideal for keeping parishioners' records. Programme well planned and thought out.
Can find information easily and quickly. Excellent reports ready in seconds.
Easily prepared tax receipts and labels. Takes little time to use weekly.
Excellent programme at very reasonable cost to purchase and operate. Thank you.

Cons

I can't think of anything. We have been using Donarius since 2003.
We have declined more complex systems of accounting.
All information is available within the programme.
It would be useful to have a download printable booklet on "How to Use" or "What Donarius can do", especially for explaining or training others. I had to write out notes which were not effective. Perhaps this is available but I haven't found it.

Mark

Donarius is a Plus!

Reviewed on 2019-12-10

The ease of use for Donarius is amazing. Not only for data entry but when performing routine tasks like printing reports you don't have to dig into multiple layers of drop downs to find the task. Everything is on one screen with single drop down menus for the different tasks.
Donarius if very user friendly.

Pros

The low cost of the Donarius software and the ability to choose only the modules that were required for our church. The main purpose of this software was to record the individual givings of our church members. Once member data was entered entering the data for the weekly givings is done in 15 minutes, less than half the time of the previous software. And, when I had questions about the use of the software for customer support, I received quick responses to my inquiries.

Cons

I have not found any aspect of this software to not perform in the expected manner.

Clayton

Best bang for the buck!

Reviewed on 2016-11-30

Our non-profit Church group has been using Donarius, now, for a number of years. After having looked at and tried a few other commercial programs; Intuit products, for instance, I found Donarius via a Google search, and tried the Trial Version.
After using that, and becoming familiar with its various modules and capabilities, we settled on those modules that best suited our group and purpose, and have never regretted it.
The ability to create Tax Receipt Documents (with the included utility) that are specific to our money handling procedures, has been very helpful.
Of exceptional value to us, has also been their stellar Customer Service Staff! Every question I've had about the program and it's operation, or upgrading, or integrating with a new OS, or even recovering files after a system crash, has been answered promptly and fully, always enabling me to move ahead regardless of the specific circumstance being asked about.
I would very highly recommend Donarius, to any group looking for a record keeping/tracking program with ample reporting capabilities, and one that is very reasonably priced to boot.
Their updating and upgrading procedures and pricing are also very commendable given the over-all quality of the program.

Pros

Compact with a low learning curve, but still extremely effective.

Cons

Can't really think of a "negative".

Steven

• Customer Support Software

Great package for my small church.

Reviewed on 2016-11-30

I am the Financial Secretary for our church. I have used Donarius since 2008 to track donor contributions and print tax statements. We have around 50 "Giving Units" per year that we track. For a small church like ours Donarius is perfect. It is extremely easy to use but does possess those "bells and whistles" features.
Data entry for a given Sunday takes less than five minutes with the source items (checks, etc.) in alphabetic order. The "Reports" function creates the daily or monthly summary reports for documentation/balancing/end of month spreadsheets.
I use the Backup function every week after the data entry and have actually had to use it to recover after a hard drive failure. It was very easy.
I have occasionally had to ask a usage question and always get a timely response from their support staff.
Our previous software company folded and I looked at a number of different products for a replacement. As a computer programmer myself I really liked the combination of functionality, ease of use and price that Donarius delivers.
I highly recommend this product.

Pros

Ease of use, functionality and price.

Cons

The attributes box for the donor information is a little crowded.

Denise

• Customer Support Software

Great Program! Check it out!

Reviewed on 2019-05-10

In just a couple of weeks after installing, I was feeling very comfortable with this software. It allowed me to import member lists to get started, and the customer service has been excellent. No extensive training needed!

Pros

I serve four rural churches out of one office. Donarius software allows me to set up a different file for each one that organizes members' basic information, individual record of contributions, and specific characteristics. The program gives me the option to set up electronic funds transfers, customize donation categories easily, process mailing labels, run weekly contribution reports that align with deposits, set up and run annual tax receipts, and more. Plus, you have the option to choose the modules that fit your particular needs. It does everything I need it to do to manage parish contributions, but in a simple format and at a very affordable price.

Cons

Configuring specialized reports can be a little tricky, but [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] has been extremely helpful in helping me meet the needs of our parishes.

Karin

Satisfied from day one!

Reviewed on 2021-05-18

Keeping computer records makes retrieval of information, running reports and communication with our parishioners very effective.

Pros

Very easy to work with, we were able to transition from manual envelope posting to computer posting without issue. We were two parishes, each using Donarius for envelope posting and maintaining parishioner data; merging our two parishes went without a hitch due to the superb customer service we receive whenever we contact Donarius. Donarius customer service is par excellence!

Cons

No cons at this time; we have been satisfied with Donarius since we first started using Donarius in 2008