StarChapter

4.4/5

Jennifer

Near Perfect

Reviewed on 1/30/2020

Pros

It is a cost-effective way to manage association information, particularly with officer transitions. It also allows for quick and easy web site updates and various notifications to different member types. It has made membership information management and document retention a breeze as well!

Cons

Meeting registration requires multiple steps, which may be a deterrent for members who don't often use a computer or need to take extra steps to pay for an event , etc.

• Industry: Religious Institutions

• Customer Support Software

Membership management software that covers all bases!

Reviewed on 8/13/2020

StarChapter appears to be a very professional software company that has provided a great solution for organization membership management.

Pros

StarChapter set everything up
The training they provided was comprehensive
The support is excellent. I had a few questions and received a response back within hours or even minutes.
Once you get the hang of how it works, it is easy to make changes
The price is incredible! We are a very small non-profit with a limited budget.
Our users love the software. The admins really like the back end and the information it provides.
Our members love the website and how easy it is to renew membership, sign up for classes and events.

Cons

Reporting is a little weak:
I can find everything I need but it isn't as easy as I think it could be. (That said it could be that I haven't figured everything out yet.)
I can get a list of new members, members that have renewed, and members that have not renewed BUT it does not produce a very attractive output. This would definitely not stop me from recommending this software.

Reasons for Choosing StarChapter

Wild Apricot was getting expensive unless you used their payment processing gateway (which we did not want to do as it would cost us even more as a non-profit organization). Wild Apricot was unpleasant to use both for the member and the administrator. - hard to get reports, hard to see what was happening with member status - new and old. Everyone in my organization hated it!

Wild Apricot

Reasons for Switching to StarChapter

Cost and functionality were the key drivers in rejecting other software options. We use PayPal as our payment processor with a non-profit rate for fees. StarChapter gives us the flexibility to continue using PayPal which saves us more than the software costs!
Marie
  • Industry: Accounting Software

• Customer Support Software

I regret this purchase so far

Reviewed on 1/18/2021

I am not happy. Customer service always finds reasons why the problem is about me, instead of about their non-user-friendly platform.

Pros

It's attractive for the users. When you can get the features to work it has a polished looks. Content added in the admin menu is automatically added to the website.

Cons

Where do I start? I have a long list of complaints about this platform. If it were more user-friendly it would be great. Unfortunately it is not user-friendly or intuitive. I have used other systems that required much less customer service requests on my part. I would not call myself a tech expert but I do tend to navigate technology with mild to little difficulty, including editing my own website and some light coding, so I am not a complete novice. I am constantly having to go back and rewatch support videos or fiddle with the system because its just not intuitive. If and when i do figure out something that should be simple, the features are pretty nice, but the platform is so frustrating that I have not found the transition worth my while and I regret it.

Response from Star Chapter

Thank you for posting a review, we would like the opportunity to investigate your feedback further and we'll reach out to schedule some time.

Tim
  • Used Monthly for 1+ year

Simple, Down to Earth, Great Assistance

Reviewed on 11/26/2022

Overall, we are very satisfied.

Pros

What I liked best was for a small non-profit association it is easy to use, and what you do not understand, the customer support is quick to get back to you. It doesn't have all the bells and whistles, but we didn't need all that, and that makes things more complicated. We like the simplicity, but for the most part it does everything we need it to do.

Cons

Membership dues renewal is not the easiest to work with, I think StarChapter was made more where the national association collects the dues rather than the local chapter. Also, templates for meetings are pre-packaged and creating new ones requires interfacing with the design team. But there are ways to work around these.

Response from Star Chapter

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience, we appreciate your feedback.

Betsy

• Customer Support Software

Great association management system!

Reviewed on 8/4/2020

We now have ONE platform that we use for all our needs. We have ONE list to manage with all our member info. It's a turnkey system, and has made things much easier for a board that changes every two years. We're very happy with StarChapter!

Pros

This checks all the boxes for us. We needed a platform that let us send comms to our members, manage our membership list (including sending invoices for renewals and new members), manage event registrations, post news articles, allow our members (and non-members for a fee) to post job openings, and more...and this fit the bill! It was affordable, easy to use, the initial set-up was simple (StarChapter is a HUGE help and does a great deal of the work), and we've found their support team to be very responsive and helpful. We're very happy with our switch, and now all our data is managed in one place - which was the ultimate problem we set out to solve with our previous website.

Cons

There are a few little nuances we've discovered, such as not being able to use multi-byte characters (emojis, etc) in subject lines of comms and not being able to export ALL comm data (must be exported individually). I think the biggest thing that could stand to be improved is the comm data - you can get open rate, but that's pretty much it. You can't see what links are clicked on the most, or other data that other email-specific platforms offer. That said, it wasn't a deal-breaker for us.

MemberClicks and Wild Apricot

Reasons for Choosing StarChapter

We needed an AMS platform that allowed us to house all our data in one place and had the capability to manage comms, events, etc.

Reasons for Switching to StarChapter

StarChapter had better reviews, was more affordable, had more functionality, and was easier to use.
Tracey

• Customer Support Software

Choose StarChapter for a Streamlined, Easy-to-Use, Time-Saving Association Management Software

Reviewed on 8/13/2019

Before StarChapter, we had a website that we built and maintained ourselves. It was outdated and hard to administer. We used an email campaign software, an invoicing software, paid hosting fees, used a security software, and tracked attendees at our events in a spreadsheet — it was a bulky way of operating. Our organization looks so professional now! We were able to consolidate all our other systems into one which is such a time saver! I'm not sure we're saving any money, but the time, ease of use and professional image is worth it. I highly recommend that anyone in an association consider StarChapter. I couldn't be happier with a management software.

Pros

StarChapter has streamlined our volunteer organization's processes and saved each of us time — which is important as volunteers! It's eliminated the use of an email campaign system and invoicing system. It has streamlined our communication with the newsletter feature, and contacting members and non-members with the email templates makes our roles simpler. I love that each of our board members are learning how to maintain their own pages through StarChapter's Knowledgebase. Everything you need to know is in there and it's presented in a style that's easy to read, follow and understand. I've had to request support for a couple items that were more complex than what I could handle, and their support team has responded within a day or two to resolve the challenge.

Cons

I've been using the software for about eight months. I think I still have so much to learn — it's a very robust software — yet they do make it easy to use. I just wish I could dedicate more time to really diving in to understand the connections between the modules and how to maximize the software.

Tom
  • Industry: Insurance Software

Constant Contact vs Star Chapter

Reviewed on 7/24/2019

Member management will be better. All board members have access to snapshots of the business including revenue and meeting attendance.

Pros

Several features for chapter management seemed to be an advantage to Constant Contact. Communications to members, non-members and expiring members seemed to be be better.

Cons

Can't call anyone for support. Users are required to submit an online ticket and wait usually 24 hours to get an answer. This isn't helpful when trying to meet a deadline and run into trouble. Some event registrations don't show up in orders and I must do manual reconcilation of credit card payments (I'm told to avoid this we need to upgrade to PayPal Pro. Constant Contact worked fine with Standard Business PayPal). Requires our NAHU members to create an account and "log in" when registering.

Misty

Secure and easy to use

Reviewed on 8/13/2019

Pros

The process to set up was very easy and inexpensive compared to all other products we have used. There are a lot of option we were easily able to adapt from the old system to Star Chapter.

Cons

Our previous forums were done in real time and automatically emailed to subscribers, this system requires the extra step of the admin emailing the posts to interested parties.

Jeff

Vice President of Communications Project Management Institute, Central Arkansas

Reviewed on 11/28/2022

Pros

Ease of running membership, communications, events, networking, announcements and training (just to name a few) for a large dynamic non-profit organization of Project Management Professionals.

Cons

As with any powerful software platform there is a learning curve to become proficient.

Matthew
  • Industry: Human Resources

Star Chapter Review

Reviewed on 11/20/2022

on a scale of 1 to 5 I would rate it a 3

Pros

My answer address my concerns with the software and the service provided.

Cons

Customer Service Response time and System used to help with the administration of the software.

Response from Star Chapter

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback.

Christie

• Customer Support Software

Review from a small society

Reviewed on 10/29/2021

We were hindered somewhat by the Covid-19 pandemic and StarChapter was able to help me build some revenue building platforms. The support staff have been great and I think our website is beautiful.

Pros

Integration was easy and the support team did a great job. I felt we received everything we asked for and I am learning how to use the system everyday with the help of the support team.

Cons

Navigating and understanding my way around the website is my biggest challenge but I am new to this and feel that eventually I will get the hang of it.

Response from Star Chapter

Thank you for your feedback, we are glad StarChapter is able to meet your chapter's needs and was able to help during the pandemic.

Amanda

Good Product

Reviewed on 1/6/2021

StarChapter has been a good software for our smaller sized clients. The new website layouts are much nicer than the old ones.

Pros

I like the ease of use of the backend along with the price of the product.

Cons

The reporting options could be better and the registration process is a little clunky for our customers.

Josh
  • Industry: Environmental Services

Honest Review

Reviewed on 1/5/2021

Overall it has served us very well. There are many "work arounds". From the perspective of someone who has done some software design, the navigation of star chapter is built on the concept the administrators don't want to see or understand the logic behind the scenes. This leads to a lot of confusion and as more and more people are forced to learn computers and programming type of understanding, it makes many navigational tabs very clunky, unnecessary, and confusing. For example, there is a very nice section for "Board Transition" which is somewhat of a hand holding to set up new profiles for board/leadership members and remove old or outdated members. It would be much easier to just have a section that says "Email Routing" where you can see the logic that "[email protected]" routes to "[email protected]". Instead it is a clunky process similar to a turbo tax style of question and answer that is not as easily understood.

Pros

This is great for organizations and non profit that need something simple to get them going. We use this to manage members, as well as host our e-commerce type transactions for events.

Cons

It is a bit clunky and not as intuitive when wanting to do more advanced level organizational management. For example, if a member has not renewed their membership there is a grace period and then the member gets moved to a different list. If that member wants to renew- they have to create a whole new login which adds to confusion when the user expects to just to be able to login and renew their membership. Since starchapter has membership level built into their pricing, it makes it very hard for organizations to keep a seemless record of "active" and "inactive" members. This makes a big difference when doing complex registration or selling of items on the e-commerce site. For example a member may get a certain discount versuses a non member. It is very clunky if a user wants to pay for a membership and get membership pricing of an event registration all at the same time. It is very limited in that logic.

WordPress

Reasons for Choosing StarChapter

We needed event registration and a way to easily and securely do transactions.

Shannon

Star Chapter for a small Professional Organization

Reviewed on 7/23/2019

Overall, it has improved MANY of our organizational functions. We can manage our membership much better, find the meeting functionality to be a vast improvement over what we were doing and it does help us manage our finances better. As we have no paid staff, maintaining does seem to fall to one or two volunteers, which is going to get old. The is more of an organizational issue though. I would recommend the program for people like me that have a basic tech savvy, as overall it is easy to use. I find the online support database to be far too basic and at the same time hard to find information, so I tend to send in customer support requests a lot and they are excellent in that type of support.

Pros

I liked that they provided the initial set-up and conversion from our previous web-site. I like that over-all it is easy to manage the site and to update content. Please note that I do NOT have an IT background and learned everything from scratch. We are looking at an organizational name change, so it will be interesting to see if I still hold this view once I tackle that project. I have always had great customer support when I have a question, even when I pose something that the program can't do.

Cons

It is not intuitive for someone that doesn't have skills in web design. I have to research and learn new options, not just pick them up along the way. I find some of the finance and accounting functions too basic, as well as only a basic reporting functionality. There also don't seem interested in updating and adding functionality, just maintaining what they have.

Lillian
  • Company size: 1,001-5,000 Employees

Best Update for Our Chapter

Reviewed on 1/30/2020

My experience was great! From the first call that got my questions answered, getting everything set up, knowledgebase, and getting help when I can't find answers to my questions - it's been a very smooth process. I'm very happy with our selection and don't see us switching away from this platform.

Pros

Being able to have a Member Manager page, easier set up for events, invoicing system, and communication platform. These were all pieces missing previously. StarChapter has helped to make almost everything easier.

Cons

It can be difficult to update certain things. For example: getting the correct address to appear on invoices (or get it on invoices at all). It needs to be updated in three different places. It would be nice it you could change it in one spot (in settings for example) and have it feed to the others. Also, there seems to be a disconnect on the member login side. When a primary contact renews membership, it doesn't renew anyone else with them. Not sure how to fix that, but it hasn't been a major issue that needs to be addressed yet. Just a convenience thing.

Response from Star Chapter

Thank you for your feedback, we really appreciate it as it helps us improve our product. Please enter a support ticket, and our team will get in touch with you to provide any necessary help.

Charlotte
  • Industry: Professional Training & Coaching

StarChapter Review 10/23.2018

Reviewed on 10/23/2018

We are able to market our events with ease and efficiently. It solved the issue of mass emails. Membership is easier to track and to communicate with those members.

I like StarChapter; it's fees are spot-on and I have recommended it to other associations.

Pros

Top items:
1) Ease of access from any location.
2) Ability to have most of the associations information in one spot
3) Email communication
4) Reports available. Love the graphs for membership, meeting attendance, etc...
5) Love that the members can download the meetings they attended to track their own CEH credits.
6) Love how the support team gets back promptly on issues.
7) The newsletter StarChapter sends out although finding time to read it gets in the way.
8) The ease of using it. It's not hard to train others to use it.

Cons

Least liked:
1) Email verification.
2) The difficulty to find where to change some information and the need to ask what page it is on.
3) Renewing a members dues from administrative point of view has been difficult.
4) Would like notification of any issues concerning members.
5) Screen size for creating an event. Would like it bigger.

Peter

Complete & easy to use. Great support

Reviewed on 6/15/2016

After a disastrous experience with another solution we turned to Star Chapter. We received terrific help getting started. With the help of our starchapter project lead, Erin, we were up wiht an operating with a professional website in 2 WEEKS. We started the first week of December 2015 and were up Before Christmas. And it all worked!

We update the site regularly. When we run into something we don't understand the StarChapter support is there to help. We have always gotten a solution within hours of asking. We had one time when the site was down. Within minutes of sending the email to support we were up.

I think the StarChapter solution and the support team are great. Anyone with a professional society or similar membership group should look at this solution seriously.

Pros

Complete, Easy to use, we can have more then one person work on the back end We dont'' need a "software guy" to make it work.

Cons

The initial learning curve is something you have to deal with but its much easier than learning Joomla or HTML.

Melanie

Turned Our Organization Around

Reviewed on 7/30/2019

We have realized exponential benefits since we have transitioned to Star Chapter in 2017. We are much better able to manage our membership records and know what members do not renew so that we can continue to reach out to them for their renewal.

Pros

Ease of implementation, orientation to members, flexibility, ease of using various modules - meeting manager, newsletter, etc. What we were most pleased with was the ability to integrate with PayPal to streamline our dues and meeting registrations. We have seen a huge increase in the retention of members as well as new members since implementing Star Chapter

Cons

The only CON I can think of is not having the ability to pay for multiple members with one payment (i.e. company pays for 2+ individuals) Each member record stands alone and there is no bridge to a company name.

Ronda

• Customer Support Software

Does a lot of things but not easily

Reviewed on 4/5/2015

I've worked with several CM software programs as well as web design software. While this ultimately does what you need it to do, it takes more steps than necessary. Simple things like having a pull down list of pages on your site to link to are missing meaning you have to know the URL of a page to link it in another page or an email. There isn't even easy access to your photos. You have to go through at least 10 steps just to edit a photo when there should just be a photo editor just like there is a page editor. Other things such as erasing membership information from expired members (you don't know if you are reaching out to someone that was a member last year or ten years ago) and the need to upload information several times depending on where you are using it (on the website vs in an email vs on an event page) make it not very user friendly. Even with registration for events, the page that shows the registrations isn't the same page where you download the registration from. You have to go to a different registration page for that. Too many steps to do the simplest things. It also doesn't have options for sorting or filtering by any column. If someone has a balance, you can't see what that balance was for. You can't sort who opened an email in alphabetical order or by time. You can't look at a member profile and see what events they attended or if the last time they opened an email. You also can't have members update their information at the time they renew their membership. You have to try to get them to go in after the fact to make updates.

However, with all of this, my biggest pet peeve comes when creating questions for event registration and when selecting multiple choice, space is only given for one option. You always have to click - add another choice. Why? Obviously there should automatically be two choices if it's multiple choice - that's what makes it MULTIPLE choice. It's these types of little annoyances that you find in several places that make you wonder if the people that designed the software ever use it or used any other CM software before being hired to design Star Chapter.

Richard

• Customer Support Software

StarChapter review: It met our requirements

Reviewed on 8/13/2019

We needed to move to a website with more back office functionality including e-commerce and e-mail and membership management. StarChapter does that very well once implemented

Pros

I liked the integration capabilities. Once one learns the software , its very easy to manage

Cons

Migrating from a more traditional website platform, it took some time to rebuild the content in a more object oriented fashion. I like it , but I found the training to lack a high level view that would have been a huge help in bridging from our old system to StarChapter. The implementation team on our side are all tech savvy, but not with StarChapter so learning how it was set up took more time than needed because seeing the bigger picture of the design was missing in the training.
We also purchased the "basic" version and several times we were trying to do something basic (including meeting GPDR requirements) and the help desk answer was "oh that's not available in the basic plan" . The GPDR issue they fixed for us,and the others we were able to work around, but having a CLEAR and COMPLETE list of what is and is not on the basic plan would have saved us significant time.

Debra

• Customer Support Software

"StarChapter has Made my Job Easier"!

Reviewed on 6/30/2021

Our main experience was ease of payment which is something we had struggled with. Members and guests can go to our new StarChapter website, register and pay for events and membership with ease. I no longer have to run payments and keep lists of who has registered or who has become a new member, etc.

Pros

I was weary about how easy it was supposed to be to use, but it really is easy to use. If I have a question, it is answered very quickly. Migration from our old website was done so accurately that we only had additions not issues.

Cons

I am fairly new to StarChapter so when something appears difficult, I just ask!

Response from Star Chapter

Thank you for your feedback, we are glad StarChapter is able to meet your chapter's needs.

John
  • Industry: Legal Services

Review of StarChapter use

Reviewed on 1/11/2021

Overall very pleased. Response to support ticket requests is generally short term responses from technical support.

Pros

The ease of use of the software and its intuitive nature.

Cons

Complexity with adding CSV member lists for integration in to notification triggers.

Response from Star Chapter

Thank you for your feedback, we really appreciate it as it helps us improve our product. Please enter a support ticket regarding adding member lists so that our team can assist.

Bonnie
  • Industry: Architecture & Planning

• Customer Support Software

Has a lot of options, but needs more common functionality

Reviewed on 8/6/2019

The migration process was not stressful, the StarChapter people that worked with us on implementation were great. It was after we got launch that it seems the "help desk" side takes a while to respond. Although out of 3 tickets I have submitted, two items got resolved, so they are batting 66%.

Pros

It simplifies my job which in external communication for member of our non-profit group. Rather than logging into multiple different platforms to set up events, I only have to login to one. The website user side is also easy to maintain.

Cons

It seems to lack more common functionality options that other sites (Eventbrite, SurveyMonkey, Mailchimp) have. The defaults seem odd, specifically for the meeting ticket generation - multiple people are used to a live list of tickets purchased/attendees shown on the meeting page, which this does not have - The newsletter is not very customizable when you have different levels of sponsors, I have to go in each time and remove the code of the sponsors I don't need on the newsletter - And for some reason we had a big problem with register member's usernames being deleted

Lori
  • Industry: Human Resources

Great Platform

Reviewed on 8/18/2020

I was working on 2 systems in the past and I love this integrated platform!!

Pros

We had a home grown system for 15+ years. We decided we needed to update the look and it make it an all in one system for sign ups, membership, events, etc. We looked at many different products and found Star Chapter best met our needs.

Cons

I am learning new things all the time and am sure . I wish there was someone to talk to in a quicker manner. Since we joined all questions are in writing and can take at least 2 days to get an answer and often times there are follow ups so even longer. I find the videos and help questions helpful but my only complaint would be more customer service employees.

Ann

Great customer support

Reviewed on 1/30/2020

Pros

The software has SO many pluses for association management. Although I've used it for 3 years, I'm still finding great ways that it can help me analyze data and improve service

Cons

Some functions seem to require duplicate steps (member registration) and I'd like that streamlined

Response from Star Chapter

Thanks for sharing your review. We are glad to hear that StarChapter has helped with managing your association.