StarChapter

4.3/5

Pearl
Pearl

• Customer Support Software

Outstanding comprehensive association management system

Reviewed on 2016-01-21

I have used Star Chapter since 2012 for multiple associations I manage. Of all the association management systems currently available, I found Star Chapter to be the most comprehensive and cost effective online software on the market.

Pros

Star Chapter is user friendly for both members and administrators. Customer support is great and highly responsive to questions or problems. Training and resources for administrators and Board members are excellent. One of my groups consists of a senior chapter, a young professionals chapter and a non-profit 501(c)3 education foundation. They wanted one website for all three organizations with capability to manage each of them. The Star Chapter tech team was wonderful in working with our volunteer Board and communications committee to develop a website "skin" that would function on Star Chapter's system.

Cons

I have some Board members that find it cumbersome to RSVP for a meeting when responding to an email invitation. They would prefer a one click method to indicate if they will attend or not, rather than the multiple steps Star Chapter's system requires to login as a member and register to attend a Board or committee meeting that doesn't require a payment. I have asked Star Chapter to consider changing the system to allow for a "yes" or "no" response when members are responding to a system generated event invitation. We had this with Cvent and it worked extremely well.

• Industry: Religious Institutions

• Customer Support Software

Membership management software that covers all bases!

Reviewed on 2020-08-13

StarChapter appears to be a very professional software company that has provided a great solution for organization membership management.

Pros

StarChapter set everything up
The training they provided was comprehensive
The support is excellent. I had a few questions and received a response back within hours or even minutes.
Once you get the hang of how it works, it is easy to make changes
The price is incredible! We are a very small non-profit with a limited budget.
Our users love the software. The admins really like the back end and the information it provides.
Our members love the website and how easy it is to renew membership, sign up for classes and events.

Cons

Reporting is a little weak:
I can find everything I need but it isn't as easy as I think it could be. (That said it could be that I haven't figured everything out yet.)
I can get a list of new members, members that have renewed, and members that have not renewed BUT it does not produce a very attractive output. This would definitely not stop me from recommending this software.

Reasons for Choosing StarChapter

Wild Apricot was getting expensive unless you used their payment processing gateway (which we did not want to do as it would cost us even more as a non-profit organization). Wild Apricot was unpleasant to use both for the member and the administrator. - hard to get reports, hard to see what was happening with member status - new and old. Everyone in my organization hated it!

WildApricot

Reasons for Switching to StarChapter

Cost and functionality were the key drivers in rejecting other software options. We use PayPal as our payment processor with a non-profit rate for fees. StarChapter gives us the flexibility to continue using PayPal which saves us more than the software costs!
Heather

• Customer Support Software

Horrible customer service and glitchy system

Reviewed on 2021-10-14

Our onboarding experience was HORRIBLE! Zero support, zero expectation management, and the SC team linked our membership page TO THE WRONG WEBSITE > as in, visitors to our membership page were redirected to another chapter that is in our geographic area and is OUR COMPETITOR. When we let our customer service lead know and asked her to fix the error, she responded with a one-word answer - "done".

Pros

I thought we would like that it was an all-in-one solution, but even that isn't worth the headaches of trying to use it.

Cons

Too many pros to list here but this box is requiring more characters . . . it doesn't integrate with any other tools, the website design options are incredibly limited, outdated and stale looking. Check out their website and have a look at the one positive testimonial listed - if you visit that site, you will see they are no longer using StarChapter!

GrowthZone

WordPress

Reasons for Switching to StarChapter

I wish we had chosen otherwise! We will be ending our membership immediately and starting over with another solution.

Response from Star Chapter

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback.

Robert

ASCM Princeton Chapter

Reviewed on 2024-04-04

All in all a decent product. Support group is good.

All in all a decent product. Support group is good.

Pros

Event management works out well. Easy to manage.

Cons

Very difficult in creating emails and web pages.

Response from Star Chapter

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. If you need additional training, please reach out to our team it is included in your subscription and we will schedule that for you.

Logan

Great Value

Reviewed on 2023-07-18

I've worked with Star Chapter since 2010. They have been responsive, easy to work with and great to problem solve with. I like the ease of use for my staff as well as our volunteers that want to dig in on the admin side. We have about 20 clients on the platform which allows all of our staff to work on something in StarChapter. We are able to enhance other websites based on new features we see or something a client asks for on one we can implement for others. They have been a great partner.

Pros

For an affordable price, your association can host their website and manage it easily. It has all of the features needed where you don't have to have 1000 platforms and systems to manage and keep track of logins for.

Cons

The biggest complaint I hear is that the meeting registration has one to two too many pages to click through vs. being a one page sign up. That would be a great feature to enhance.

Response from Star Chapter

Thank you for your feedback, we appreciate it as it helps us improve our offerings.

Betsy

• Customer Support Software

Great association management system!

Reviewed on 2020-08-04

We now have ONE platform that we use for all our needs. We have ONE list to manage with all our member info. It's a turnkey system, and has made things much easier for a board that changes every two years. We're very happy with StarChapter!

Pros

This checks all the boxes for us. We needed a platform that let us send comms to our members, manage our membership list (including sending invoices for renewals and new members), manage event registrations, post news articles, allow our members (and non-members for a fee) to post job openings, and more...and this fit the bill! It was affordable, easy to use, the initial set-up was simple (StarChapter is a HUGE help and does a great deal of the work), and we've found their support team to be very responsive and helpful. We're very happy with our switch, and now all our data is managed in one place - which was the ultimate problem we set out to solve with our previous website.

Cons

There are a few little nuances we've discovered, such as not being able to use multi-byte characters (emojis, etc) in subject lines of comms and not being able to export ALL comm data (must be exported individually). I think the biggest thing that could stand to be improved is the comm data - you can get open rate, but that's pretty much it. You can't see what links are clicked on the most, or other data that other email-specific platforms offer. That said, it wasn't a deal-breaker for us.

MemberClicks and WildApricot

Reasons for Choosing StarChapter

We needed an AMS platform that allowed us to house all our data in one place and had the capability to manage comms, events, etc.

Reasons for Switching to StarChapter

StarChapter had better reviews, was more affordable, had more functionality, and was easier to use.
Debbie

• Customer Support Software

Great value and easy to use for chapter associations

Reviewed on 2020-01-30

I've used Star Chapter now for 10 years. Over this time things have gotten much better and easier to use. It is important to small chapter associations with multiple volunteers to make something simple they can use, and then actually do use it to get things done. I am the only paid staff person for my associations so its great to have the support and help with my committees.

Pros

Its simple and has the website/database/financials/surveys/emails all in one.

Cons

The email system is not pretty and has too many templates hidden/buried to update. Make it look more like constant contact and I have no more complaints. Love it

Kommo

Reasons for Choosing StarChapter

MemberClicks is a great product but is way too expensive and robust for what we needed/use it for.

MemberClicks

Reasons for Switching to StarChapter

Larger more well known company and I already knew how to use it.

Response from Star Chapter

Thank you for your feedback, we are happy to announce that an update to the email functionality and templates will be available soon.

Tracey

• Customer Support Software

Choose StarChapter for a Streamlined, Easy-to-Use, Time-Saving Association Management Software

Reviewed on 2019-08-13

Before StarChapter, we had a website that we built and maintained ourselves. It was outdated and hard to administer. We used an email campaign software, an invoicing software, paid hosting fees, used a security software, and tracked attendees at our events in a spreadsheet — it was a bulky way of operating. Our organization looks so professional now! We were able to consolidate all our other systems into one which is such a time saver! I'm not sure we're saving any money, but the time, ease of use and professional image is worth it. I highly recommend that anyone in an association consider StarChapter. I couldn't be happier with a management software.

Pros

StarChapter has streamlined our volunteer organization's processes and saved each of us time — which is important as volunteers! It's eliminated the use of an email campaign system and invoicing system. It has streamlined our communication with the newsletter feature, and contacting members and non-members with the email templates makes our roles simpler. I love that each of our board members are learning how to maintain their own pages through StarChapter's Knowledgebase. Everything you need to know is in there and it's presented in a style that's easy to read, follow and understand. I've had to request support for a couple items that were more complex than what I could handle, and their support team has responded within a day or two to resolve the challenge.

Cons

I've been using the software for about eight months. I think I still have so much to learn — it's a very robust software — yet they do make it easy to use. I just wish I could dedicate more time to really diving in to understand the connections between the modules and how to maximize the software.

Janet
  • Industry: Human Resources

StarChapter review from Stateline SHRM

Reviewed on 2022-11-28

Pros

Members are able to renew their memberships, pay for meetings easily. The website management with the event planning flows smoothly. Communicating with members via StarChapter is great as well.Payments using StarPay has worked out well for our chapter too.

Cons

Our biggest complaint is not having immediate customer service with an individual we can talk to available if we have a quick question or are having a problem. Needing to submit a ticket and wait for a response to set up a time and day to talk with a StarChapter representative has taken sometimes 3-5 days.

Response from Star Chapter

Thank you for your feedback, we really appreciate it as it helps us improve our offerings.

Desiree
  • Industry: Higher Education Software

Useful tool for Chapter management

Reviewed on 2019-07-23

Overall, it’s a vast improvement from how we were managing our chapter. However, there are definitely parts that could be better.

Pros

This tool greatly helps us manage our chapter and events by automating processes that we used to do manually. Gone are the days of tracking everything with spreadsheets. New member sign ups and membership renewals are a breeze, we are able to link to a payment gateway and accept payment directly though or website, and best of all, members can update their contact information at any time. Event registration, sign-in, and payment is also easy. And being able to run reports from the software is great.

Cons

It’s difficult to update the website unless you have prior experience. The reporting function is lacking by not being able to include all data that we want. And while sending emails from the software is great, having to manage this or respond using an outside email provider is very cumbersome. It would be better if we could read emails in the software. Also, not being able to create and send continuing education credit certificates through the software is a huge miss!

Reasons for Switching to StarChapter

It has the most components and was one of the more affordable options.
Polly

I love StarChapters

Reviewed on 2023-02-15

Amazing! StarChapters staff is super friendly and willing to help. I enjoy working with the team.

Pros

I use StarChapters for multiple things. Website, Bulk Email, track membership, Meeting registration & so much more. Its easy to use and user friendly even if your not tech savey.

Cons

For tickets - You don't have a live chat option. I have to put in a ticket and wait, and hope you get to me quickly. There's no phone number to call when your stuck and need just a little bit of help to keep moving forward.

Square Point of Sale

Reasons for Switching to StarChapter

I use both. Star Chapters doesn't have a swipe option yet for onsite, day of sales.

Response from Star Chapter

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience, we appreciate your feedback.

Tom
  • Industry: Insurance Software

Constant Contact vs Star Chapter

Reviewed on 2019-07-24

Member management will be better. All board members have access to snapshots of the business including revenue and meeting attendance.

Pros

Several features for chapter management seemed to be an advantage to Constant Contact. Communications to members, non-members and expiring members seemed to be be better.

Cons

Can't call anyone for support. Users are required to submit an online ticket and wait usually 24 hours to get an answer. This isn't helpful when trying to meet a deadline and run into trouble. Some event registrations don't show up in orders and I must do manual reconcilation of credit card payments (I'm told to avoid this we need to upgrade to PayPal Pro. Constant Contact worked fine with Standard Business PayPal). Requires our NAHU members to create an account and "log in" when registering.

Christie

• Customer Support Software

Review from a small society

Reviewed on 2021-10-29

We were hindered somewhat by the Covid-19 pandemic and StarChapter was able to help me build some revenue building platforms. The support staff have been great and I think our website is beautiful.

Pros

Integration was easy and the support team did a great job. I felt we received everything we asked for and I am learning how to use the system everyday with the help of the support team.

Cons

Navigating and understanding my way around the website is my biggest challenge but I am new to this and feel that eventually I will get the hang of it.

Response from Star Chapter

Thank you for your feedback, we are glad StarChapter is able to meet your chapter's needs and was able to help during the pandemic.

Shelli

Good Platform

Reviewed on 2023-02-20

Star Chapter is a good platform for smaller (less than 400 members) organizations. Unfortunately it takes a lot of time to make changes to the website; processing orders into QB; overall, just too cumbersome and time consuming, which cuts into productivity of an organization.

Pros

Creating member categoriesInvoicingProcessing CC payments

Cons

Not integrating with Quickbooks desktop and online! Too many steps to create an invoice and send to membersReports needed that are not currently providedNewsletters do not have professional looking templates

MemberClicks

Reasons for Switching to StarChapter

It was a platform I've used in the past and its affordability.

Response from Star Chapter

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback.

Josh

Honest Review

Reviewed on 2021-01-05

Overall it has served us very well. There are many "work arounds". From the perspective of someone who has done some software design, the navigation of star chapter is built on the concept the administrators don't want to see or understand the logic behind the scenes. This leads to a lot of confusion and as more and more people are forced to learn computers and programming type of understanding, it makes many navigational tabs very clunky, unnecessary, and confusing. For example, there is a very nice section for "Board Transition" which is somewhat of a hand holding to set up new profiles for board/leadership members and remove old or outdated members. It would be much easier to just have a section that says "Email Routing" where you can see the logic that "[email protected]" routes to "[email protected]". Instead it is a clunky process similar to a turbo tax style of question and answer that is not as easily understood.

Pros

This is great for organizations and non profit that need something simple to get them going. We use this to manage members, as well as host our e-commerce type transactions for events.

Cons

It is a bit clunky and not as intuitive when wanting to do more advanced level organizational management. For example, if a member has not renewed their membership there is a grace period and then the member gets moved to a different list. If that member wants to renew- they have to create a whole new login which adds to confusion when the user expects to just to be able to login and renew their membership. Since starchapter has membership level built into their pricing, it makes it very hard for organizations to keep a seemless record of "active" and "inactive" members. This makes a big difference when doing complex registration or selling of items on the e-commerce site. For example a member may get a certain discount versuses a non member. It is very clunky if a user wants to pay for a membership and get membership pricing of an event registration all at the same time. It is very limited in that logic.

WordPress

Reasons for Choosing StarChapter

We needed event registration and a way to easily and securely do transactions.

Kate

All Around Great Service at a Great Price

Reviewed on 2019-07-30

StarChapter is fantastic for the price. Previously, we did not have the ability to provide our members with a secure space on our website for accessing members only information nor registering for our events. We're now able to do that and so much more which really added to the membership benefits we are able to provide to our members. The simple, straightforward design to our website allows our members and non-members to easily access information and register for our events at a fantastic price for a non-profit organization.

Pros

The ease of use that allows us to have a members only section on our website; the quick and straightforward set up and designs for each page on our site; the ability to adapt pages to include accessibility options for folks using screen readers or are hearing impaired.

Cons

The communication tool - we've been using Constant Contact for several years and we've found the flexibility both in e-list management and design that CC provides will keep us using that service over StarChapters.

Jon

Implementation was frustrating

Reviewed on 2022-11-22

Signing up with SP was a real hassle. We are a small non-profit chapter of a national organization with minimal monthly / annual money flows where we need SP to funnel online payments. Their underwriters were not accommodating to the information we provided - we didn't have exactly what they wanted. Our bank issues all checks after we give them an online check request (we have no check stock). What they provided for a voided check was an online version. We explained that, but SP kept demanding a voided check. Had to get SC management to convince the SP u/ws to let our application through. Also, SP's response time was horrible. I would send an uploaded response one day, they would send a system-generated "received it" response the next, then not get to a review until the following day, then respond the day after that. They were so late in approving our account that we had to forgo the online collection in our November 2022 luncheon and dip into savings to pay for the monthly meeting expense out of reserves (about $1,500).

Pros

The look and feel of the StarChapter ("SC") website is so much better than what we previously had through the national "mother" association.

Cons

Implementation was said to be quick and easy. We had exactly the opposite. Little follow-up, unclear directions, reliance on written tutorials rather than a live body to help us through the process, email contact that was not direct from the implementation person which caused the "system-generated" email to not just get caught in a spam filter but to get lost in a quarantine quagmire. Also, we provided tax details that only were acceptable after we pointed out it was all the IRS issued to us. SC was able to go to the IRS's online look-up which gave SC the same details we sent them - then they said what we sent was good. I still don't understand what the hang-up was but didn't push it any further.When we finally got approval for the StarPay ("SP") module, the SC implementation person turned off our "collect money at the door" option for registrants (she was not directed to do so), and had to go back again to get her to turn that back on. It was an easy and overnight fix, but shouldn't have had to go through the time and hassle of doing that in the first place.

Response from Star Chapter

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback.

Francesca

My Review

Reviewed on 2020-01-30

As noted in my previous comments, overall there is a great value to the software but I am worried that myself and my clients will need to start looking to other products to service our need if some feature enhancements don't start being created. It seems like the product is stagnant.

Pros

I like the ease of use and connectedness of all of the software segments. The product also gives a lot of functions for the price which makes it an easy sell to our clients from a value standpoint.

Cons

Some items are clunky and not as nimble as they could be. I also feel like starchapter has stopped developing enhancements or improvements outside of the website templates that they sell for a fee. I would like to see more robust reporting or the ability to build ad hoc reports, enhanced functionality on the events with regards to promo codes/discounts, adjusting registrant information/substitutions, and more robust functionality with the eblasting system.

Response from Star Chapter

Thank you for your feedback, we really appreciate it as it helps us improve our product. We are sorry to hear that you're experiencing difficulty with the reports and some of the functionality. If you could please enter a support ticket, our team will get in touch with you to get more information.

Lillian

Best Update for Our Chapter

Reviewed on 2020-01-30

My experience was great! From the first call that got my questions answered, getting everything set up, knowledgebase, and getting help when I can't find answers to my questions - it's been a very smooth process. I'm very happy with our selection and don't see us switching away from this platform.

Pros

Being able to have a Member Manager page, easier set up for events, invoicing system, and communication platform. These were all pieces missing previously. StarChapter has helped to make almost everything easier.

Cons

It can be difficult to update certain things. For example: getting the correct address to appear on invoices (or get it on invoices at all). It needs to be updated in three different places. It would be nice it you could change it in one spot (in settings for example) and have it feed to the others. Also, there seems to be a disconnect on the member login side. When a primary contact renews membership, it doesn't renew anyone else with them. Not sure how to fix that, but it hasn't been a major issue that needs to be addressed yet. Just a convenience thing.

Response from Star Chapter

Thank you for your feedback, we really appreciate it as it helps us improve our product. Please enter a support ticket, and our team will get in touch with you to provide any necessary help.

Meghann

• Customer Support Software

Good for small associations that don't need much

Reviewed on 2021-04-02

We are not happy with the software. It worked for a while, but the lack of organizational opportunities of the software make it extremely complicated for no apparent reason.

Pros

The layout of the software is fairly easy to navigate.

Cons

The Corporate Member Manager feature is extremely under developed - so much so that customer support doesn't even know how it works. Most of the features are this way as well, making it extremely difficult for admin users.

iMIS

Price was cheaper.

Response from Star Chapter

Thank you for sharing your feedback, we would like the opportunity to investigate your feedback further. If you could please enter a support ticket, we'll work with you to resolve any issues as quickly as possible.

Alicia

Worthy of review

Reviewed on 2020-02-10

My overall experience is best described as challenging because the interface is not intuitive and this characterization would also apply to others in our organization. Nearly everyone complains that the back-end is not user-friendly.

Pros

The best aspect of StarChapter is that it is an all-in-one platform to create and track event registrations and memberships while also enabling us to send emails to our database.

Cons

The list of items that I like least include two aspects: membership sign-ups or renewals that get hung-up as pending because the payment didn't go thru, yet the system sends out a notification that there is a new member which suggests everything is good to go. This has necessitated a multi-step process where we have to vet each membership transaction. To help alleviate this problem, we have requested the ability for automatic renewals which is not available at this time. Additionally, the back-end of SC is not very intuitive or user-friendly which means it's challenging to become proficient.

Response from Star Chapter

Thank you for your feedback, we really appreciate it as it helps us improve our product. Our team got in touch with you to provide any necessary help. Let us know if you need anything else.

Gitte

Not sure

Reviewed on 2019-07-23

Frustrated. I am not a programmer. I do not know how to code. I don't understand HTML codeing or how a website works. I do not do this in real life AT ALL. I am frustrated by the fact that you think average folks would have any idea how to change website pages.

Pros

That it is customizable, I guess. I don't really have much else to say, but can't submit this until I type more characters.

Cons

I don't know how to use it. I am expected to do programming, code writing, design layout...I do not know how to do any of this. There is no one to call. I start a project, can't even figure out how to start it, send in a note, the next day someone gets back to me. I mean, it works in theory, but by that time I have moved onto other tasks and find it incredibly challenging to log back in, follow the prompts and get the result I need. Usually this leads to another question or something I cannot figure out how to do, and again, another help ticket, another day goes by. It would BE SO MUCH EASIER if your help team would just make the edit or change, instead of spending the time emails me how to do it. I am never going to remember how to do it 6 months from now, and will need to ask again. Your 'help desk' could be much 'helpier' if they just made the request happen. Done. We'd all be done. I am frustrated by not being able to call.

Deanna
  • Industry: Professional Training & Coaching

WNY PGC Review

Reviewed on 2021-01-11

I overall like the website backend functionality and am looking forward to upgrades in the M Series frontend and hope for more modern backend features soon.

Pros

I like that all transactions are linked to the member accounts and that emails can be sent directly from the backend of the website and we do not need a secondary platform like constant contact to do so.

Cons

I do not like the unflattering emails. I would like your email capabilities to be like those of Constant Contact with nice templates to choose from and a more user friendly experience. Creating templates is difficult and is not self explanatory. The inability to change the REPLY TO in all instances is horrible as people generally trash emails received from unknown or unidentified users like those that read "info".

Response from Star Chapter

Thank you for your feedback, an update to the email functionality and templates will be available soon.

Tracey

My Experience with Starchapter

Reviewed on 2020-01-30

I came in on this after it was set up and in StarChapter's defense it was set up poorly; however, there seems to be no easy way to fix it and it is still so rigid you damn near have to be a programmer to realize its true functionality and when you are a small organization you just do not have the time. If StarChapter had a program where they did all your set up and maintenance and changes it would be much better. Also the email is ugly should be more like Constant Contact.

Pros

There is a robust backend; however, it is not easy at all and very rigid.

Cons

Help is difficult to find and our members hate our website.

Response from Star Chapter

Thank you for your feedback, we always strive to respond to support tickets as fast as possible. You can contact StarChapter's Support Advisors during regular office hours by opening a support ticket through the 24/7 live ticket administrators or our ticketing system built into your StarChapter software. We also provide weekly live training as well as online tutorials and instructions. We will also be releasing an update to the communication functionality and templates soon.

Melissa
  • Industry: Civil Engineering

• Customer Support Software

Works well for general purpose use but starts to crack at the edges

Reviewed on 2023-02-10

Overall the experience has been mostly positive. I wish StarChapter would make more of an effort to incorporate a few small enhancement requests I've made, mainly allowing users to select the time zone of a meeting when setting one up.

Pros

StarChapter is easy to use once you get over the initial learning curve and there are a lot of resources provided to help with setup. Our website works well for most purposes and is easy to update and manage.

Cons

StarChapter does not seem to handle special use cases very well. Our organization spans several time zones but meetings can only be set in the time zone of the administrator. The platform cannot process payments from outside our country which creates some issues for us as well as people from Canada regularly come to our events.

Response from Star Chapter

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback.