4.3
3.9
Oscar C.
Industry: Computer Software

The best mail service provider for marketing and transactional emails.

Reviewed on 5/20/2019

I have been working with Sendgrid for more than 2 years and it really has been very helpful.

It's perfect when you need to send transactional mails, for example password recovery or notifications to users from your website. or custom marketing campaigns. You can implement on your App easily with his Full Documented API or via SMTP.

The free forever plan is perfect when you're starting a website or application and still do not have enough users. You can also easily upgrade your plan in order to get more emails monthly .

Recommended with closed eyes.

Pros

1. Have AB Testing enable.
2. Manage unsubscribe emails.
3. Easy to Integrate via API or SMTP.
4. Email Reputation indicator.
5.Full detailed report. You can see if the email it's blocked, bounced or delivered.
6. Have a Forever Free plan . (40.000 Emails in the trial period, then 100 Emails Daily forever)

Cons

Send grid interface it's a little bit confuse.

No more cons to highlight, for me it's a perfect tool.

Andrew B.
Industry: Information Technology & Services

Great for easy bulk email sending

Reviewed on 8/31/2020

Sending emails without having to manually manage and handhold them through the process.

Pros

Easy to connect up and set up delivery of email, handles any bounces, spam reports, link tracking and continually trying to deliver. Allows set up of email authentication including SPF, DKIM and DMARC.

Cons

Sometimes things fail and can take a while to get to the bottom of, some of the reporting feels lack lustre and limited given the volume of emails we send. Support has at times been slow to get back to us, although they always do come back with answers.

Pedro G.
Industry: E-Learning

The worst customer support ever

Reviewed on 7/6/2020
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

I had sendgrid free, then I upgraded to the basic. After the shared IP has been blocked many times due to spam, I decided to go to a dedicated IP address. $89/month (really expensive for the service). I send around 500 emails/day for my learners. The server wasn't sending it, it was sending only 100 emails. as it had a limit of requests. I tried to contact their support service and it was terrible, no help at all.

Then, I added some of my IPs to the whitelist, unfortunately I had to change my home IP and I got blocked from sendgrid, after over 2 weeks trying to access it and adding IP, they haven't helped me or given me a proper reply.

Not only I could not send emails, I cant access my account, neither I can cancel.
I had ti sign up with Amazon SES, and now my life is great!

Terrible support, the worst so far, cant even cancel and get a refund =/

Pros

Free trial
easy api integration
cheap and good user interface

Cons

terrible support
expensive
hard to talk to someone

Likelihood to recommend: 0.0/10

Jonathan B.
Industry: Health, Wellness & Fitness

An affordable choice for transactional emails with one flaw

Reviewed on 9/28/2020

Overall, the experience was solid. Price and customer service were great. Unfortunately, the spam and email block issue was a deal breaker.

Pros

The pricing is great. Easy to use API with lots of documentations. Their user interface is straightforward. The customer service has always been pretty quick to get back to me. It's a popular service with a lot of integrations available.

Cons

I was a happy user of Sendgrid for a long time, but emails sent with the service always went to the spam folder for Microsoft email services (Outlook, Hotmail, MSN). This could never seem to get resolved, even with a dedicated IP that they offered. Then recently, Microsoft started blocking the emails. I found out this was because a spammer had used their service and got the shared IP blacklisted. They were unable to help me resolve it swiftly, so I had to leave the service, because we have a lot of people who use Microsoft email services.

Angelica C.

This is a must-have.

Reviewed on 10/30/2019

They have been amazing, support is fast and helpfull. I don't remember having any downtime with them ever since I joined the service.

Pros

Sendgrid has an awesome service for email marketing and transactional emails. It works 100% of the time, the support is amazing and it even gives you a free plan that will serve most people.

Cons

The price for email marketing (contacts) is a bit too high for me. It could be packed with way more interesting features. Also the editor sucks and it never sends the mail like it shows on the screen. But I do not use this feature.

Industry: Management Consulting

SendGrid Review

Reviewed on 6/16/2020

It is fine--we continue to use it and at the end of the day the emails get delivered. It is just not super practical or intuitive. To get the full benefits I had to get a professional guy who knows HTML to help me to design and send the emails (and I am very savvy with technology).

Pros

This software has better features than competitors and email campaigns seem to reach out to more people. the templates provided are useful.

Cons

The Challenge with this app is that every little improvement that you want to make to your process is going to cost you more money. So although it starts being cheaper than competitors, by the time you add the reporting, stats, more emails you end up paying the same or more.

Unless you pay extra you will not see the results of your email campaign, that is a big con, and you don't realize this until you have imported thousands of people and have invested a lot of hours creating your lists. Since you get a lot of free features when you first sign-in "as a trial period" by the time they remove them you are all in!

Jordan R.

Sendgrid is great

Reviewed on 10/23/2019

Was great for sending transactional, automated emails. API integration with my app was a breeze.

Pros

Love the UI, the simplicity of the setup, the training / onboarding videos, and the ease-of-use. It's a great tool. Also, the visual template builder is great.

Cons

I ended up switching to Mailgun just to test things out - and honestly, they're both pretty amazing, but I stuck with Mailgun because (at least at the time I switched) they had a more generous "free" plan.

Sendgrid is great though!

Jeffrey F.
Industry: Hospital & Health Care

Super outgoing email platform

Reviewed on 12/30/2019

Love this software, and just upgraded to a paying using from the freemium <3

Pros

Super easy to implement through their API. Use it extensively in our day-to-day notificatons.

Cons

Not much that we do not like about this software. The editing feature might be a little more user friendly, but once you get your first template right, it is easy to cut an paste.

Warren T.
Industry: Design

Send Grid Is Best For Email

Reviewed on 6/9/2020

Pros

Send Grid not only helps route emails though my site but it is very compatible with WordPress and is very reliable when getting my emails to send out to clients.

Cons

There have been a few times I have had to reconfigure my Send Grid Plugin to my site. I feel like there is a disconnect between the servers IP and the response from my WordPress site.

Abigail N.

An Easy to Use Email Marketing Software

Reviewed on 7/5/2018

The detailed stats from each email campaign is amazing, and the Unsubscribe groups option really helped with GDPR compliance

Pros

1. On the bottom left side of the dashboard is a small reputation percentage bar, that measures your reputation. The bar is updated daily based on your email sends, your reputation goes down if your email bounces or is marked as spam.
2. Stats: SendGrid provides A LOT of data on the performance of your email campaigns, these stats are: Requests, Delivered, Opens, Unique Opens, Clicks, Unique Clicks, Unsubscribes, Spam Reports, Bounces, Blocks, Bounce Drops, Spam Report Drops, Unsubscribe Drops and Invalid Emails. SendGrid also provides stats such as: Global Stats, Category Stats, Category Comparison, Subuser Stats, Subuser Comparison, Geographical, Email Clients & Devices, Mailbox Provider Stats, Mailbox Provider Comparison, Browser Stats, and Browser Comparison
3. A/B Testing
4. Unsubscribe Groups: This is without doubt my favorite feature from SendGrid. When you click on "Marketing" on the left side of your dashboard, and select tour from the drop down, it sort of lists steps to set up for sending marketing emails. Step 3 on the list of things to do is to create unsubscribe groups. Here you can Create groups that represent types of email that you regularly send to your recipients. If a recipient chooses to unsubscribe, they will have the option of selecting which of these groups they want to unsubscribe from.

Cons

1. The Email templates in SendGrids gallery are a bit basic which initially wasn't a problem as I liked creating my own template, but I did not like how I couldn't modify the "columns" module to my taste.

I wanted to create a template with three columns with the center column bigger than the two on the side. The idea was to have my client's images linking to their projects (On their websites) on the side columns, with the write up in the center column.
However, that couldn't be done (At least so far it seems so as I can't find any option to tweak the size/width of each column) as each column has an equal width.

2. No automation function: I'd like to create a sort of If/Then sequence where I can resend an email to a group of people after x days, for example, I'd like to resend an email (With a different heading of course) to people who have not opened the first email after four days.

Anatoly G.
Industry: Information Services

SendGrid offers a great transactional email API, but deliverability & support issues hold it back

Reviewed on 8/1/2018

Easy integration into our platform and deliverability metrics. Dedicated IP, if you pay for it.

Pros

We use SendGrid for transactional emails, such as welcome messages & notifications. Generally, SendGrid offers great tools to integrate emails into a variety of different application platforms and programming languages. We really like its level of detail when checking on the status of emails. Sendgrid is also free for basic transactional emails, which makes it easy to try and ensure it will work with your application. We use a third-party library called Nodemailer with Sendgrid, so switching from a different service to Sendgrid was trivial.

Cons

While the service is easy to use and offers comprehensive email activity metrics, there are a few things about it we didn't like. First, because the free tier uses shared IPs, we consistently had emails that wouldn't get delivered because of IP blocks. There were a handful of IPs that we had that experience with, and it persisted for weeks -- without any support intervention. Sendgrid must have deliverability metrics on their side as well, so I am surprised they didn't drop these IPs from their IP pool proactively. We had to upgrade to the PRO plan, which was the least expensive plan that had a dedicated IP. We also had to pay extra for 30 days of email history, you get 3 days by default. I'd love to see all these options be a-la-carte, but I get that you need to make revenue somehow, and few companies send enough emails to justify jumping to the next paid plan -- unless you NEED that deliverability guarantee that you get w/ dedicated IPs, which we did.

Zee G.
Industry: Computer Software

If you're tight on the budget...

Used Monthly for 1+ year
Reviewed on 10/29/2019

It did what we needed it to do, so that was good. We used it for over a year for monthly newsletters, but as soon as our marketing budget allowed it, we switched to MailChimp.

Pros

It did work and it did send the email newsletters that we needed it to. Therefore, it wasn't a complete waste of money :D Compared to many other options for email marketing, SendGrid was one of the cheapest options (except for sending the newsletters manually through one's email) and that was one of the reasons why we went with it.

Cons

It's got a lot of features, but they feel half-baked (I'm sorry, but they do.) For example, you can unsubscribe those whose emails have bounced or who unsubscribed. But in order to do that, you need to download those lists, then upload them to a special list you can call "unsubscribes" or whatever, and then, right after you've imported this list, you delete it - along with associated accounts. THIS deletes the people who bounced from your lists. Seriously?!

The annoying thing was the styling within the newsletter. I am a perfectionist, so all text sizes and everything should be consistent. However, SendGrid kept changing the styles of my text and I had to choose "Normal" several times (even after copy-pasting the text from Notepad that doesn't support formatting AT ALL). And if you click on "Edit HTML" (which I often do because it's a fast way to clean away all the annoying tags), SendGrid would convert my block to HTML and would have an entirely different set of styles for it.

Also, the support pages were written for someone who is native to this SendGrid thing and not a newbie. Despite doing email marketing for years, I had a hard time understanding what I need to do.

Likelihood to recommend: 6.0/10

Industry: Computer & Network Security

Sendgrid shines on mass mailing, but lacks some required features

Reviewed on 7/25/2018

Transactional email

Pros

Sendgrid is ready for your scale. From the smallest Saas apps to the largest enterprises, Sendgrid was built with scale in mind. It handles transactional emails very well, and is relatively simple to integrate into your codebase or product workflow. Templates come out of the box, but some coding knowledge is needed to style transactional emails. All templates can be easily versioned.

Concerns on security and blacklisting are limited. As long as you follow their recommendations, Sendgrid will deliver your email.

Pricing is very fair and generous. In years of use, I've never gone over a plan limit.

Cons

Functionality can be limited in interesting ways depending on your plan. On the most basic paid plans, several code features are just missing. Reporting is the most glaring issue, with basic reporting showing only a rolling group of recently sent emails. Without a deeper dive into your logs, you may miss issues.

Transactional emails also lack some features that seem required, like weblinks for email and easy native unsubscribe. There are workarounds for both, but not without challenges. Version tracking for templates is also completely missing, unless you use new versions for each edit you make.

Matt M.
Industry: Telecommunications

Best Transnational Email App

Reviewed on 11/26/2019

We use Sendgrid to send emails from our website and our SaaS applications. This allows us to send emails without worrying about local security surrounding SMTP servers and maintaining the servers and services around email. We love them for their free plan as well as it allows us to test and deploy without road blocks.

Pros

The easy integration with their API and out of box integration with dozens of third parties. Easy to use SMTP gateway service and amazing free to start plan.

Cons

Office365 now blocks most of Sendgrids IP ranges which makes delivery difficult in some cases. You can how ever upgrade to a dedicated IP and this isn't an issue with their software. Other than that, have more than 1 api user on the entry plan would be great but what can I complain about..

Mauro B.

Very simple

Reviewed on 9/15/2020

Pros

Send massive mail with this service is very simple

Cons

Maybe the price for thousands mail in a month is too expensive.

Daniel K.

HORRIBLE customer support

Reviewed on 10/6/2020

I was a happy customer until July 2020, when suddenly my account was locked "for compliance reasons". I am not a spammer, I only used Sendgrid to relay email to my customers (who want all the email I relay to them). When I was locked, and then summarily terminated, I had no recourse. I provided lots of evidence that I was not a spammer, but the compliance team did not speak with me at all. Customer support took 25 DAYS to respond to my initial ticket, then cut me off 6 days later (no warnings, no recourse, just shut down).

What is worse is that my customers discovered that every email they had that had a link in it, had the link rewritten to be a Sendgrid redirect URL. And since they terminated my account, this meant that my customers could not click on those links any more, and their emails were being held hostage. I tried for 2 weeks to get in touch with them (trouble tickets, emails, and phone calls) and never got a reply to anything.

This is a TERRIBLE company to do business with.

Pros

It was easy to set up, and worked perfectly until it didn't; then, customer support was non-existent.

Cons

Customer support does not answer emails. Compliance team does not speak with me, I could not determine what I had done wrong. They simply left me in the lurch, and held my email hostage.

Likelihood to recommend: 0.0/10

Ryan K.
Industry: Marketing & Advertising

Long time customer with 15+ active accounts

Reviewed on 3/1/2019

SendGrid was the first to market and has grown more and more powerful over the years, while keeping pricing low and even free pending your needs. Excited to continue plugging it into my side projects and companies.

Pros

I've used SendGrid for years. They have a 1-click "provision" feature inside the Heroku app store that starts at $0 /month until you hit profit-worthy volume (10k+ emails /month).

The API for sending transactional emails is great, however I have not tried their email marketing feature.

I'm such a big SendGrid fan, in fact, that I built a free SendGrid analytics tool that generates reports for other customers (+ myself) to send better transactional emails: https://lesstransactional.com.

Cons

While building our free SendGrid analytics tool, it became apparent that the "Email Activity" API has a much lower rate limit (ie 10 requests per 5 minutes) than the regular sending APIs.

This required us to make restrictive changes to the app at the last minute, and their support team was unwilling to increase the rate limit for our use case.

David R.
Industry: Information Technology & Services

Great email service for offloading website form emails from web hosting services

Reviewed on 8/30/2019

SendGrid is a great solution if sending emails from your website is critical to your business. It gives you the functionality to inspect and see what emails are being sent and to secure your emails using various security standards (ie. SPF, DKIM, etc).

Pros

Often web hosts have email limits for websites and your contact forms or orders from your site can be shut off without warning. Using SendGrid means you can control your email services from your website and see what emails are being sent and whether they are being delivered. The SendGrid console allows you to view what emails are bouncing and which aren't being delivered (ie. fake email addresses), etc. Also SendGrid support is really great as well and will assist with how to go about securing your email using Domain Keys Identified Mail (DKIM) (or their similarly named solution of this).

Cons

With you could inspect the email bodies within the SendGrid console. Unfortunately you can only search on the email subject, dates, etc, but not the email bodies.

Prashant M.
Company size: 1,001-5,000 Employees

Best ESP provider so far

Reviewed on 7/20/2019

Yes for product I liked, for team, not so much.

Pros

We used Sendgrid for our Email Marketing. I loved the technology, the cost was okay and easy to implement.
It also optimized to reach user inbox instead of spam.
It could also be integrated to CRM of your choice which team liked.

Cons

The support, I mean, if you are paying $100,000 an year, we expect a dedicated person, which was not available. Even the sales team felt like more to make sales than worry about use case or team.

Esra K.

Awesome software!

Reviewed on 3/9/2018

We send approximately 300K emails per month and Sendgrid made this job very easy for us. I strongly recommend this software.

Pros

We needed an email server provider for our web application and my friend recommended me Sendgrid 3 years ago. We are still using it without any problem. Our Pro 300K plan gives us a clean, dedicated IP address so our automatic emails don't end up in Spam folders.

You can observe the email's journey and get various analytics on how many emails are delivered, how many people have opened, how many clicks etc.

Our marketing team also started to use Sendgrid to send newsletters. It is very easy to manage contact lists and subscriptions.

Customer support is great. They helped a lot whenever we have a question or problem.

API documentation is clean and thorough.

Cons

Website menu structure is a bit complicated and left menu fonts are faded. It is hard to read the menu elements. It's color should be darker.

Alicia A.
Industry: Computer Software

We use and recommend Sendgrid for everything

Reviewed on 7/23/2019

We develop software and often have to send transactional emails, sendgrid helps us protect our domain for SPAM complaints and also provides great tracking information for the emails we send.

Pros

My favorite feature are the logs, we can always find information about a malformed email, a bounce an unsubscription, etc.
I also like the ease of use and the ability to admin several domains under the same account.

Cons

I don't think I have any specific dislikes.

Ruth L.
Industry: Religious Institutions

We use SendGrid to send emails from our database. It does a fabulous job!

Reviewed on 12/5/2017

They consistently send out my emails and help us comply with the CAN-SPAM act. They help us make sure people are getting the emails they want but not the ones they don't. I can't imagine trying to manage our emails without them.

Pros

It sends emails from our database. The set up for that was extremely easy, and as a non-profit, the pricing is extremely affordable. It allows us to see general statistics for our emails as well as monitor whether a specific recipient actually opened a specific email or clicked on it. It also notifies us if someone clicks spam or unsubscribes so we can remove them from our database. It's easy to monitor what is happening to our emails. When we were somehow blacklisted by AT&T, we were able to catch that quickly and get it resolved.

Cons

SendGrid campaigns is a little difficult to work with. Also, their unsubscribe groups doesn't seem to work as well as I would like. It is difficult to know exactly what categories of email people are wanting to receive.

Industry: Computer Software

SendGrid is a reliable email platform.

Used Weekly for 1+ year
Reviewed on 5/29/2019

I have been using SendGrid for the last two years. It is very easy to use. You can design your mail or edit the SendGrid templates. Also there is a code editor. So you can make changes in the code. So you can change the style or make it responsive by writing media query. So you don't have to be bothered about the design issues in sending a mail. Also marketing mails can be send to list of users just by a button click. There are many features which helps you in email marketing and automated email delivery. Thank you team for this wonderful product.

Pros

SendGrid is the best email delivery platform I have ever used. I am a developer and to send automated mails from website was a major concern for me. But using SendGrid I can easily send mail. APIs is easily available and you can design your mail just by some drag and drop. Also there are many templates available in SendGrid. You can just edit the templates and add your images just by uploading to SendGrid photo gallery. Transactional mail templates can be created by desin or code. This is the main attractive part in SendGrid. Also you can upload your users base and send mail to multiple users just by a button click. So SendGrid can be easily used for marketing purpose. So I will say, this is a best option for email delivery service.

Cons

Even if SendGrid is easy, for a beginner it is a little confusing. Because you will not know where to design your template in transactional or legacy . But once you are familiar with it, SendGrid is the best.

Industry: Accounting

Awesome Marketing platform for client/customer communication.

Reviewed on 4/21/2020

As a developer, I have used it to integrate with the app I was building for feedback of users and SendGrid played a huge role in that. They have a nice dashboard that shows all the marketing and email data and they also have some cool settings for the developers to make it connected with their own website. Overall I would say Its very nice software You could be taking into consideration when it comes to marketing emails to your customers or clients.

Pros

They have some awesome features that make it standstill among other software such as you can send the same marketing or feedback email to all the clients in that database and record the response through it to see what customers are thinking about your product. It's also good for developers to integrate with a website as it has very nice and clean API documentation which allows developers to use it across their website.

Cons

Some of the features from development are very hard to understand and integrate to the website. A person with zero knowledge of this software has to go through the documentation to see what's happening. Also, in the free plan, they give very few free email transactions which can be increased to make it more popular and small businesses can use it without any cost but again pricing and features are their choice.

Robert G.
Industry: Design

SendGrid Review

Reviewed on 12/19/2018

Our business Server is located with GoDaddy and their email delivery service is basically Black Listed which was a real problem for our mass mailer.

We found SendGrid and decided to Port our Server's emails delivery via them.

We ordered a dedicated IP address and our mailing have been flawless in delivery providing all the data one would need to manage email deliveries and an manage delivery to keep from being accused of spamming or popping up on Black Listings.

If we have any issues or questions customer service is always there for us.

Thanks for your business,

RG

Grant & Associates Web Service
Your Window to the World Wide Web
[email protected]

Pros

For a mail delivery service SendGrid provides all all the data and options a customer could ask for.

Customer Service is one of the best. Courtesy and knowledgeable they are one of the few companies I actually enjoy speaking with.

Cons

None to speak of. Customer Service is always on the top of their game providing Superior service whenever it's needed.