MemberPress

4.8/5

Aaron
  • Industry: Leisure, Travel & Tourism

• Customer Support Software

All of the power and options, with much less hassle

Reviewed on 5/1/2020

MemberPress controls access to back office functions for contractor sales agents. It allows me to ensure that agents under contract have access to some parts of the site, agents who are no longer under contract but still have unsettled business can still access a smaller subset of the site, and agents considering entering a contractual relationship can be given person-specific access to a different discrete set of pages to help them make their decisions and fill out contract forms.

Pros

I was able to set up MemberPress on a somewhat complicated WordPress multi-site setup with a minimum of issues (those that did crop up were my own fault). Configuring multiple membership levels and controlling access by membership level was well-explained and easy to implement. And it was, by far, the easiest of the membership plugins I experimented with to get set up to handle membership payments.

Cons

Processing payments on the visitor end was easy enough, but managing the payments on the back-end can be confusing. Automatic renewal is only possible via subscription payments, and I couldn't find a way to override this to facilitate entry of annual subscription payments received in other ways.

Jason

• Customer Support Software

Great Membership Management System for your WordPress Website!

Reviewed on 2/28/2022

Great! Love the product for what it does. I recommend it to many people!

Pros

Love how easy it is to set up and turn your WordPress website into a membership website.

Cons

One of the issues I found with their course creator. I was having some issues accessing the page (was showing error messages). As well, if you delete a lesson from the main course curriculum (rather than the right side lessons list), record of that page remains on the sitemap. I've received a 5xx server error from Google as a result. MAKE SURE YOU DELETE LESSONS FROM THE SIDE LESSONS LIST.

MemberMouse, Teachable and Kajabi

Reasons for Choosing MemberPress

I wanted to build a membership site on my own platform. Patreon is where I started, but realized I would be spending a LOT in fees with the percentages Patreon takes from membership fees. MemberPress fit the bill for a WordPress MMS solution. Great product!

Patreon

Reasons for Switching to MemberPress

Because it was a plugin I could install and turn my existing website into a membership website. I didn't like hosting it on other platforms (Kajabi, Teachable) – as well, I like how it offered unmetered pricing. For example, MemberMouse tiers it at 1,000 members and increases the price based on that.
Katie

• Customer Support Software

Unless you have weeks to dedicate to setup or you're a coder - don't bother

Reviewed on 10/2/2020

I've spent DAYS asking support questions. They give the minimum answer with no real interest in helping to find a solution. If we weren't already in so deep, we'd move to a simpler, more user-friendly, platform.

Pros

Ability to work with existing content in Wordpress

Cons

Horrible implementation and setup - especially for anyone with an existing membership.

Response from Caseproof

Hello Katie,
Thank you for taking the time to share your review with us and Capterra community. Though it's always disappointing to learn that a customer has had a negative experience, we consider these times an opportunity to focus on how we can improve. If you'd like to further discuss your concerns, please contact us at [email protected] Again, thank you for your review, and we do hope that we can work together to find a solution to your problem.
Sincerely,
MemberPress Customer Support

Brandon

MemberPress is the #1 Membership Plugin for WordPress

Reviewed on 10/6/2020

Setting up MemberPress can require you to know and understand a little bit about memberships sites. Once it's set up and configured, I usually don't have to tweak the settings at all. Everything just works. Creating protected content for a course is super easy now too.

Pros

MemberPress allows me to set up basic membership sites as well as fully-customized membership experiences. The code under the hood includes WordPress hooks and filters so folks who are more technically minded can extend it to suit their needs. The new Course Management features allow you to create online classrooms for your users to view a stylish version of your course content. It's quick and easy to build out your course content with without having to worry about spending time customizing layouts .

Cons

Some of the UI is a little clunky. One of the reasons it's been around for so long is because its functionality is robust. Because it's been around for so many years, some of its UI feels a little out of date. They are continually making improvements so this doesn't bother me.

MemberMouse and LearnDash

Reasons for Switching to MemberPress

MemberPress has the best support team. They're responsive, knowledgeable, and helpful. MemberPress also has some advanced add-ons that lets my team create unique and usfule membership platforms for our clients.
Joe

Fantastic Piece of Software

Reviewed on 8/30/2021

Memberpress offers a much cheaper way to offer an LMS to my client's customers without the subscription requirements that popular all-in-one websites use.

Pros

I purchased this software on behalf of my client, looking to move away from a subscription-based learning management system and host their own. Memberpress offered everything they required (and more) from a full Learning Management System. Setup was extremely easy and was installed on the WordPress site in a matter of minutes. There's great customisation, a whole library of plugins to add additional functionality, and integrates great with other popular software such as MailChimp, Elementor and Stripe. Even features like automatic PDF generation for customer purchases increases the automation and means myself / my client needs to spend less time interacting with the system - which is a bonus in both our eyes. I'm looking forward to continually develop and work with my client with Memberpress and look forward to suggesting it as my go-to software for any future LMS projects.

Cons

There's nothing I don't like. Perhaps, as a suggestion, there could be some preset styles for the member's account dashboard in WordPress. Although it's functional and works perfectly, it's perhaps a bit basic in design. It can be easily customised with some HTML and CSS but this takes time and therefore presets would help with the design process.

Reasons for Switching to MemberPress

Memberpress sounded like a more, well-rounded plugin that offered more functionality for the price paid.
  • Industry: Outsourcing/Offshoring

• Customer Support Software

Outstanding Features! Superb Support!

Reviewed on 2/5/2021

It solves the need of our organization with course and membership management. No plugin in WordPress yet can do such as of writing this review.

Pros

The 2-in-1 feature of Course and Membership plugin for WordPress is very convenient for setting up our course site. The support is also outstanding and helps to solve the errors quickly.

Cons

The limitations in course completion. However integration with other features like gamepress is great

Reasons for Choosing MemberPress

We need to purchase other license for course and membership plugin. So we stick with one plugin that can do both.

Reasons for Switching to MemberPress

No need to purchase separate license for membership and course plugins
Matt

Flexible and Extensive Membership Payment and Portal Solution

Reviewed on 6/28/2021

We are able to allow new users to sign up, we get paid and can kick off automated scripts that talk to our other website management systems in a streamlined way. Renewals are easy.

Pros

Extremely flexible due to its deep integration with WordPress. Makes it very easy to brand and pull into their API to meet our own needs. Excellent support and stable.

Cons

Some nuances in how their code is written and how it works with WordPress that takes time to learn. Can be difficult to add new user subscriptions or upgrade as an admin due to the subscriptions using native Stripe subscriptions - we get why it was done this way though.

MemberMouse

Reasons for Switching to MemberPress

It seemed the most stable with less clunky code and good support.
Jim Briant

The ONLY one

Reviewed on 10/22/2020

The best solution for subscription type e-learning or for restricting your content. Sadly it is a little bit hard to customize if you’re new to this and the design with regards to payment methods or log in are flat “boring”. The courses “new feature”, needs a lot of things to improve, I don’t even know how to use it and I can’t use elementor with it and has no quizzes available yet. There is also not enough guide on how to use it, the guy from youtube is confusing. Overall with regards to content protection I love it. I forgot to mention, some customers who request for password reset don’t receive any reply - again maybe I don’t know how to set it up.

Pros

I really love the access restrictions, wherein you can select any content that you want to block.

Cons

The new feature “Courses” needs at lot of improvement and also need more guide on how to use it.

Reasons for Switching to MemberPress

Cause they say it is the best and it is the first one that I ever used, but I haven’t tried Leardash yet.
Rebecca
  • Industry: Veterinary Software

Great for non-coders

Reviewed on 10/6/2020

I originally purchased WooCommerce and had a lot of trouble trying to configure it for use with memberships. It required several add-on purchases. And then still was not compatible with my WordPress Theme (despite claiming to be, and this conclusion came from the Authorize IT help group). Whereas WooCommerce customer service was horrible, extremely slow to receive replies, often replies were irrelevant, and where relevant required coding experience to understand/implement...Memberpress Customer service was amazing. Setup was easy without support; however, I wanted to do a few things with memberships that were non-traditional They were very quick with help, and it was very easy to understand, and included screenshots and instructions. It was clear that it was worth the money and effort to make the switch to Memberpress. If they fully integrated with Stripe to allow use of Apple Pay, I'd say it was perfect for what I needed/wanted.

Pros

Ease of use (I am not in the computer field and do not code, and it was simple to set up)
Designed specifically for Memberships

Cons

Doesn't fully integrate with Stripe (e.g., cannot use Apple Pay, cannot customize Stripe invoices)

Terry

Great time saver and essential business tool

Reviewed on 2/9/2021

I looked at doing my membership site on my own. This is a no-brainer, time saver that gets me working on my business and my content now.

Pros

MemberPress has the all the tools to create a place to gather your users and provide a community very quickly. The ability to get lessons up, deliver content, and provide value is amazing.

Cons

Some of the integrations take some time to figure out. There has been some learning on my part that slowed things down.

Teachable

Reasons for Choosing MemberPress

I wanted a more ready to go solution with more functionality and more available help and support.

Moodle LMS
  • Industry: Music

• Customer Support Software

MemberPress Courses is the best out there

Reviewed on 6/9/2021

Overall it's great once I got it working right with WooCommerce. There are things that can be improved but nothing is a problem right now where it's too negatively affecting the experience.

Pros

The Courses addon is the main draw for me. It looks the best and is simple to use for the user.

Cons

It's lack of good integration with WooCommerce. I have to use a 3rd party automation service to connect MemberPress Courses with my WooCommerce store and it's still, not a problem-free solution. I wish they made real WooCommerce integration.

Vipin
  • Industry: Financial Services Software

• Customer Support Software

The best membership plugin in the peer group

Reviewed on 5/28/2020

I run a membership product in financial services where users get to access premium content. I tried several other plugins but the most easy to use and implement has been Memberpress.Not to mention at a very competitive price.

Pros

Setting rules, creating memberships and getting signups is a breeze. It is ready to use and launch.

Cons

Except for Paypal, other country specific payment gateways are missing and one will have to do custom work to get them running.

Reasons for Choosing MemberPress

PM Pro needs too many plugins to make it work.

Reasons for Switching to MemberPress

the most easy to use and implement has been Memberpress. Not to mention at a very competitive price.

Response from Caseproof

Hello Vipin,
Thanks so much for your thoughtful review. Please don't hesitate to contact us at [email protected] if you have questions about or need assistance with setting up your payment gateways. Thank you for giving us the opportunity to serve you!

• Industry: Professional Training & Coaching

Great Membership platform for WordPress

Reviewed on 1/1/2022

It’s great! Can’t recommend them enough.

Pros

Easy to get set up and running with. Well priced, and works well with WordPress! Very happy with MemberPress software!

Cons

Some hiccups with the course builder. But that could be issues with the integration with the theme on our end. Overall, the MemberPress team has build a great product.

MemberMouse and Kajabi

Reasons for Choosing MemberPress

Make a more professional membership site.

Patreon

Reasons for Switching to MemberPress

Well priced, highly reviewed, and good integrations.
Mark
  • Industry: Design

Up and running in less than an hour!

Reviewed on 5/28/2020

So far so good. Someone suggested I try another, less expensive option for my membership site, but everything is working so well with MemberPress that I didn't think the money I would save was worth the trouble.

Pros

MemberPress was so simple to set up. I indicated what pages were to be protected. Set up the various membership levels. Integrated it with the Stripe payment portal. In less than an hour, I was done and people were signing up.

Cons

It took me a few tries to figure out the membership levels, but that's not really a fault of MemberPress. It was more me trying to do things too fast and missing steps in the documentation.

WishList Member

Reasons for Switching to MemberPress

Honestly? It was your Black Friday sale that got me to purchase. I've been happy ever since.
Libby
  • Industry: Media Production

• Customer Support Software

MemberPress takes it for the win!

Reviewed on 10/6/2020

So far the experience has been stellar! They answered questions quickly while we were setting it up and we have had no hiccups or issues with memberships processing properly.

Pros

What I like most about this software is how easy it was to set up and implement it and the fact that you can set it and forget it. Customer support is fantastic and out of all the software we researched this one had the most to provide us for both settings and integrations with other plugins. We have already paid for this software from our memberships sold!

Cons

There are not too many features missing, although for future developement it would be nice to see some expanding referral/affiliate options.

aMember Pro and AffiliateWP

Reasons for Switching to MemberPress

Most of the alternatives didn't have the complete settings we needed. MemberPress also offers competitive pricing for multiple sites.
Ross
  • Industry: Sports

Memberpress Best Platform For Subscription Sites

Reviewed on 10/23/2020

My business has traditionally required me to travel the globe and teach horsemanship. But in these times of covid 19, that's not possible. Memberpress has enabled me to earn income by attracting subscribers to my web site to view video and other forms of content. It's been a very rewarding experience and has helped build a community of my students.

Pros

Memberpress has all the features I need in a subscription platform and integrates easily with Wordpress. There are a lot of great tutorials and information on the site for first-time users like me and the support team are timely and very helpful.

Cons

As a non-tech person I'd like to see more flexibility in customising the inbuilt pages (eg Unauthorised page) using a visual builder rather than code

Podia

Reasons for Switching to MemberPress

Memberpress is a much more powerful and flexible platform.
Ginger
  • Industry: Arts & Crafts

Reviewed on 4/7/2021

Good

Pros

tracking members for recurring revenue. .

Cons

Account page. Not user friendly for customers to find their purchases.

Kajabi

Reasons for Switching to MemberPress

I wanted to build a wordpress site. I didn't want to use another platform.
Daniel

• Customer Support Software

The most robust and sensibly designed of the wordpress membership plugins

Reviewed on 12/5/2017

Robust wordpress membership platform which we use for delivery of paid courses and learning management.

Acts as a complex framework on which you can build a very elaborate membership site rich in features and with quite customisable behaviour.

Pros

It doesn't take over your installation and hog the wordpress admin like many plugins do. It keeps itself in its own section and has a reasonable number of settings.

Memberpress should really be considered a membership framework upon which you can assemble a versatile range of membership and subscription based sites rather than an out of the box product, i.e. there's still a lot of work to do yourself but memberpress will help you more than it will cause headaches, and that is not always the case with wordpress membership plugins.

Really fantastic rule making section means that you can create things like tag and category restrictions or take it to a whole level of complexity and control by restricting custom post types and taxonomies. The latter approach is excellent for those combining this with custom fields and really customising the admin panel heavily.

Integrations are not endless but are well considered and usually best of class i.e. Stripe, Paypal, Mailchimp, Drip etc...

Cons

Because it's a framework really, it is possible to use memberpress badly if you are not an experienced wordpress developer. Not making good rules for restriction and relying on per page restriction for example can set you up for a messy future and makes you very dependent on memberpress.

The forms and payment workflow could be nicer.

The user self-service section needs some work although it can be styled with CSS. it would be nice if the defaults were a bit more modern and adapted a bit better to themes.

More action based hooks would be useful to make a very customisable membership signup and upgrade flow.

Response from Caseproof

Hello Daniel,
Thank you for your thoughtful feedback. We appreciate it! We're committed to constant improvement, and reviews like yours help us to accomplish that. Please feel free to contact us at [email protected] if you have any questions or additional concerns. Thanks, again!

Levi
  • Industry: Human Resources

(Almost) Everything you need

Reviewed on 4/30/2021

MemberPress is almost the perfect tool for setting up a membership based website. It leverages all of Wordpress's native functionality and extends it in understandable and powerful ways. Installation was one click to install the plugin and around an hour to understand and configure all of the options. The price is reasonable and the support (when needed) has been responsive.

I was also pleasantly surprised to find that the add-ons provided by MemberPress are included in the price. No nickel and dime upcharges every time you need to add functionality.

While the Courses module did not meet our needs, it is great to see the Memberpress team working to refine and expand the capabilities of MemberPress. It is also refreshing to see that they seem to have formed genuine partnerships with the other products they integrate with (LearnDash, Affiliate Royale, WP-SMTP to name a few). These are not bolted-on integrations. They are robust and well documented by both MemberPress and the third-party provider.

Pros

The purchase and setup process was painless. Configuration was quite involved but the layout of the admin interface and the documentation made this very straightforward. The number of integrations available makes this a solid foundation for our online paid content.

We are using several integrations but most notable among them are the S3 plugin which let us protect our video content from an AWS storage bucket. This was something I hadn't even considered when selecting MemberPress. But as soon as I realized my oversite, there was a knowledgebase article and some great documentation. 30 minutes later, the problem was solved.

Cons

We had originally purchased MemberPress to act as a Learning Management System (LMS) but we found the newly added Courses module to be too simplistic for our needs. Fortunately, there is a robust integration with several LMS tools including LearnDash. Once we realized that Courses wasn't going to be the answer for us, it took less than an afternoon to pivot to LearnDash. Both tools have great documentation on how to setup the two systems to work together and we were able to launch on schedule.

jason

MemberPress Review 2022

Reviewed on 4/13/2022

I enjoy working with this tool because of the flexibility and comfort it provides. Would recommend trying it for yourself.

Pros

I own a couple of private course websites, one on internet marketing and the other on HTML. These membership websites were mounted using member press. This plugin empowers content creators with a lot of helpful features to protect and monetize their hard work.

It's true it's not perfect, however, I haven't found better elsewhere. It's just easy to use and completely transforms your website into a nice-looking membership website.

I use the course features because it provides wide content accessibility which I find useful for my visitors. In 2020 we made more than $18,000 from our membership sites with over 32,000 students enrolled. Although this may not be a lot, it's an accomplishment and I'm very proud of that.

Cons

Based on pricing, I think they should provide more modern stylish templates that will logically amend their subscription charges. Not every user is code-savvy and might tend to bounce back if the appearance does not match their intents.

I, in particular, do not appreciate the quality of form styling they offer.

Ryan

Beats any other Member Option for WordPress I've seen

Reviewed on 2/10/2021

Overall, it's the best membership plugin (for paid memberships) that I've found for WordPress. Like any software, there are minor things I wish it did differently, but most importantly, for our clients, they have been very happy with it as well -- something I definitely can't say about every WP Plugin we've used for sure!

Pros

The implementation of this software is hands-down better than any other membership plugin(s) for WordPress. The setup and configuration was probably almost half the time it's taken for the main competitor that we've used in the past. In addition the features ate at least on par, if not significantly better than others without nickel and diming you to death for every requirement. Of course there are several paid addons, but they seem to be for truly specialized circumstances.

Cons

The think that we had the hardest time with is for sure importing existing members, subscriptions and transactions, though it really wasn't too bad. Once you understand the exact way that they need the csv files formatted (and the instructions are pretty easy to follow) it can be done pretty painlessly -- it's that csv setup that takes forever, though, and I'm not sure of a way around it. For sure the most frustrating part of this was the inability (as far as I could see) to turn off notifications during an import. Even though I had everything shut off, the admin account of was still getting bombarded with "new account created" emails.

Orla

Happy client since 2016

Reviewed on 2/9/2022

I really love using Memberpress for its overall flexibility, quality support and wide selection of integrations. I use it for most membership-based client projects.

Pros

I love the membership software and the range of integrations available. I like to build custom dashboards for each clients members area and Memberpress gives me full control over all design elements and allows me to easily protect them.

Cons

The course software really needs its own custom post type interface so the lessons are easier to access - especially for us old school developers who are not big fans of the Gutenberg interface. It is frustrating having to go in and out of single course pages and not be able to open multiple pages in multiple tabs when you have larger and more comprehensive courses. Also it was disappointing when the WooCommerce native gateway was removed.

Amanda

Pivoting with ease

Reviewed on 12/9/2020

We had to pivot rapidly (thanks COVID) from in-person classes to delivering all our Pilates, Yoga and fitness training online.

We implemented the entire online learning portal using our current website and adding MemberPress to control access to content across our many offerings. In order to keep the business afloat, we only a few days to make this all happen and I would have not been able to do it without MemberPress and it's simple usability. No, I didn't sleep for 3 days but we did it!

Pros

Easy to implement
Drag & Drop is great
Easy to create a module template and reuse it over and over within a course
Stripe integration is great (and the only payment gateway I will now use)

Cons

PayPal integration is clunky - but that's more a PayPal issue than MP.

Eric
  • Industry: Design

UX Designer

Reviewed on 6/30/2021

Pros

It's very intuitive to set up and has all the features I need. The docs and customer support are excellent.

Cons

There isn't anything major I don't like about this software.

WooCommerce

Reasons for Switching to MemberPress

Seemed to best fit my needs.
Dan
  • Industry: Furniture

Top membership software

Reviewed on 5/1/2020

Main benefit is it keeps everything in one place, easy to manage and create unlimited subscriptions. I'm really happy with the product and service. As my business grows it will also allow me to add more subs packages, which is great to know for the future.

Pros

Ease of use and all the tutorial videos that come with it explain everything to set up easily. The layout, functions and software management have been great so far. Experienced no issues other than creating corporate accounts, which I needed to upgrade for. Haven't used all features yet but looking forward to using the download content option to protect. Really useful feature for digital publications.

Cons

Nothing so far! (Maybe include the corporate membership option in basic for beginners).