On-Screen Takeoff

4.4/5

Tamera

Preferred over Plan Swift

Reviewed on 8/20/2018

I work in multi-family construction and need to be able to do quick conceptual estimates and the later detailed estimates that require more takeoff. I've been using OST for the takeoff for the last 11 years. I love it.

Pros

OST is easy to get up and running. It's intuitive and user friendly. I was recently introduced to PlanSwift - a competitor to OST and it was overly complicated. It was hard to figure out how to go in and just take the SF of a room.

With OST it's a breeze to take a simple measurement or do more extensive takeoff without needing an owners manual or even a tutorial.

Cons

Is the difficulty in naming sheets that are imported in. It's cumbersome and time consuming. It also makes it hard to relink to a different folder location.

The high cost for a single license is prohibitive to the freelance estimator and forces us to use alternative programs that aren't as efficient. I wish there was a way to make it cheaper for sole proprietorship businesses in the construction industry.

Ryan
  • Industry: Architecture & Planning

Custom Home Builder Review

Reviewed on 8/14/2018

I love OST it can be used in so many different ways it's my favorite program for manipulating just about any type of file.

Pros

OST is flexable software, meaning it can be manipulated to conform to any/every trade. It is an amazing tool that makes any estimators take-off portion of the job quick and easy.

Cons

There is not much I do not like about OST, but...
- some times I could more color selections differentiation for take-off conditions
- Also it would be nice if i could freeze dimension takeoffs to either only move vertically or latterally respectively.
- Also if dimensions could be a default layer separate from annotation that would be awesome. Sometimes i want to have annotations but do not need the dimensions and i have to delete all the dimensions on the page to only show the annotation that i want.

John
  • Industry: Utilities

Poor customer service.

Reviewed on 2/9/2017

I have been an On-Screen Takeoff user since 2008. The program is well designed, but the company has made the program non-macintosh user-friendly. I used the program in a Virtual Environment without issue for 8 years, and then OST stopped allowing the program to be utilized in a virtual environment (Parallels Desktop). They now require you to have a Windows Machine running License Manager (at all times) to utilize their product. Simply unacceptable. They have no regard for their Customer.

Pros

The product is well designed and easy to use (except for the what is necessary to run the program on a virtual environment).

Cons

Cannot run the program in a Virtual Environment.

Chris
  • Industry: Warehousing

On Screen Takeoff the Equilizer

Reviewed on 8/17/2018

The On Screen Takeoff program along with the support provided by On Center is a great combo for anyone looking to standardize and get better control of their takeoff and bids. My experience has been nothing but the best from Training, to implementation, and support throughout the past few years.

Pros

Allows me to constantly and quickly take off plans that used to take all day to provide.

Cons

The software has been awesome for me in many ways but I wish it was more report friendly for people who are working outside of the standard databases and reporting schemes. I had to build my database from the ground up and how we export and report that information isn't typical for OST. Trying to build custom reports and exports has been challenging but On Center support was always there to help or at least let me know that I have hit a dead end.

Tim

Satisfied Customer

Reviewed on 6/7/2017

I've used OST for 10 years and overall satisfied. I think for the annual service fee, there should be more upgrades than once every 2 years or so. We have used tech support maybe once a year if that and the owner of the business doesn't think that justifies the annual cost.

Pros

It's easy and quick to use and easy to train others. I like and use the overlay function a lot. I also like the intelligent paste function as well for repetitious items.

Cons

Only 1 overlay possible, needs ability to remove the original plan and add an additional overlay as plans change (i.e.,80% dwgs to 90% dwgs to final dwgs. The 90% supersede the 80% and now we have final. A new bid file has to be created and the takeoff copied to the new file for adjustments)
Database bogs down on very large projects
Auto count feature doesn't work very well on scanned plans

Les

• Customer Support Software

The best takeoff I have ever used.

Reviewed on 8/15/2018

I have been using On-Screen Takeoff for about 16 years and I have always been impressed with the ease of use, support and the upgrades that have been made through the years. I can do a takeoff of a large commercial building in a fraction of the time it would take me to do it with a ruler or takeoff wheel and it is extremely more accurate. I am able to bid a lot more work with the On-Screen Takeoff program. Another benefit is you end up with a color-coded plan that you or someone else such as a project manger can look at and see what you did.

Pros

Its easy to learn to use and if you get stuck on something the support staff are there to help and they have never laughed at my dumb questions.

Cons

I don’t know if there is anything I don’t like about it, but I wish you could copy text or images from a plan sheet and past them into a word document.

Muhammad

• Customer Support Software

When you need a simple and easy to use takeoff program

Reviewed on 11/3/2019

We use OST to count items on landscape plans we get the plans from the landscape architect and civil engineer, we import them and count the conditions then after that we take the counts from excel and price every line in excel OST has a feature to do that but not as easy to mainupulate

Pros

What I like about OST is it’s easy to use you can get the hang of the Badi oh very quickly and it helps you count items onscreen from a pdf plan or TIFF file.
Measures distances, counts and areas.

Cons

Sometimes it freezes on some plans that are heaven such as a lot of counts (over 6000) items on on plan, and crashes even when it can’t convert a file from a civil engineer

Brian

On-Screen Takeoff for Estimators

Reviewed on 8/29/2016

I use it almost everyday of the week for all my 2D takeoff. Roadwork's paving, kerbing (curbing), stormwater, sewer and water reticulation takeoffs just to name a few. Very easy to use once you set up some basic library items. It also has the capability of downloading directly into my Estimating Software.

Pros

Ease of use - lengths, areas - or both at the same time.

Cons

Needs a better custom scale box - the one it has is "clunky".

Angelo

• Customer Support Software

Great program; been using it since 2003 and convinced the current company I work for to...

Reviewed on 5/23/2017

Pros

I like being able to organize areas and zones as well as share takeoff packages with associates who estimate different divisions.

Cons

I HATE having to rename pages one at a time that are combined; your competition has this feature that does it automatically (and its much cheaper)-you guys should have had this a long time ago. If this feature does exist in OST; please contact me to cure my stupidity.

eric

Best takeoff option available

Reviewed on 8/14/2018

Very good, I've been using it at various companies since 2007 and have no interest in any other option so long as it works so well.

Pros

Very easy to learn and use, K.I.S.S.
Quick to use
Doesn't require too much computer power

Cons

Printing to PDF using conventional bluebeam and/or adobe drivers doesn't work very well and we needed to buy an after market print driver to circumvent this issue.

Shelby

• Customer Support Software

Using OST we are able to perform take offs much quicker than using a ruler or than digitize(ing...

Reviewed on 6/5/2017

Can probably do triple the amount of estimating than before.

Pros

Ease of use and how easy it is to review work. Being able to assign different take offs to different area's makes breaking out bids for alternates very easy.

Cons

I would like to be able to "crop" or cut all take offs to assign them into an area. For example, if the portion of a building becomes an alternate after the takeoff was performed. I would like to slice each take off to break out each area. Right now you can select multiple takeoffs and reassign but if you select say a wall that was one take off but you want it to be cut in half you have to delete it and redo the takeoff.

Lorna

I love OnScreen

Reviewed on 10/29/2018

Very positive experience. It's made my life a whole lot easier. I can easily take off concrete, steel, MEP, etc., and it's a very organized program. It's like coloring for adults.

Pros

This software has made estimating so much more efficient, accurate, and easy. I learned to estimate by hand, and those days were so much harder than now. I can handle so many more trades and estimates alone that I would have been able to just a decade ago.

Cons

There needs to be more symbols available for our use such as Mechanical, Fire Suppression Piping, and Electrical symbols. That would be helpful.

Christopher

• Customer Support Software

The On-Center Suite is very easy to use and versatile.

Reviewed on 5/23/2017

Fast and accurate take-offs and estimates.

Pros

The take-off and estimating software is much simpler to use and faster than other software I have used. This allows me to bid more jobs while maintaining a high level of accuracy.

Cons

The shortfall of this software in my opinion is that it doesn't have a native accounting companion. Other software suites offer an accounting component built-in which is a great way to tie your whole company together. The export functions are not quite good enough to accomplish that.

Nick

Essential Construction Takeoff tool

Reviewed on 3/30/2021

Overall, we are using OST as our primary estimating takeoff solution. Our team has enjoyed its use.

Pros

This software is extremely intuitive, easy to use, and accurate. I have used various takeoff tools and this product has always been the best.

Cons

I wish the software came preloaded with takeoff items rather than having to create them or buy a database of items.

David

OST

Reviewed on 10/25/2019

Overall, great experience. Saves a lot of time when preparing for estimates/bids.

Pros

Very is to import architectural drawings. Able to easily trace and label various components of each section.
Take-off tab totals each section you are labeling. ie: LF, SF, Area.

Cons

Linking to multiple folders that contain drawings. copy and pasting various items could be easier. Organizing bids.

Patricia

Very powerful estimating tool

Reviewed on 6/9/2017

Pros

Easy to use, easy to copy conditions from one project to another, very user friendly. The software features a lot of different options mark up and bubble changes, type in comments, and, of course, color code take offs.

Cons

Creating overlays can be difficult, it would be great to have more color options and an easier way to scale and align two plans.

Erica

OST is very helpful!!

Reviewed on 8/14/2018

Pros

I honestly could not be as productive working as a metal framing & GWB subcontractor without this software! The ease of use and saving capabilities is very helpful in projects we bid & manage.

Cons

Not very many cons at all, possibly just leaning to use it takes a bit of time.

ANGELA

Data overload

Reviewed on 9/5/2019

I use this product because it's the product of choice within my company, however, I prefer to print the blank take off form and fill it in manually because there is just so much data on the program.

Pros

This is the software of choice by our Project Managers & Estimators it is very thorough and holds a lot of data. It gives the bottom line as well as a detailed breakdown of costs.

Cons

I feel like there is data overload with this program. It has the options to input so much data it's almost overkill. It becomes a bit overwhelming when looking through all the info and the "extra" info takes longer to perform the take off on a project.

Jay

Estimating with OST

Reviewed on 8/17/2018

Overall, my experience with OST has been great. We are able to get through take-offs quickly.

Pros

What I like most about OST is how easily one can load plans and keep track of all jobs.

Cons

What I like least about OST is that you can't modify a take-off until you remove the attachments.

Gabrielle

• Customer Support Software

Our full office functions on OST and we enjoy it thoroughly!

easy take offs

Pros

We like most that it is pretty user-friendly and easy to train on. The Customer Support has been amazing every time we've called.

Cons

Conversions can at times be slow and renaming pages is very difficult compared to other products we have used.

Maria

Easiest for take-offs!

Reviewed on 1/6/2020

Pros

I liked the ability to organize and derive quantities in different ways. One line item can yield several quantities in different units of measurement. You can also organize information by level, segment... You can also store your custom line items in a library for future use.

Cons

The program works best pulling from files saved on your C drive, but I would prefer to team to work from a centralized location, not from each individual's C drive on their computer.

John

• Customer Support Software

Great product that drives excellent productivity

Reviewed on 8/14/2018

Pros

Ease of use and flexibility customizing conditions for different building materials

Cons

Not compatible working through Citrix Receiver

Akshata
  • Company size: 1,001-5,000 Employees

One stop shop.

Reviewed on 7/21/2017

Pros

Easy to learn and use. Everything in one software. Worth the money.
I would recommend this product to any organization who work on a lot of high end estimates.

Cons

No cons but they could try doing new features like adding color to areas to differentiate between them.

Efrain

On Screen Take Off Review

Very good

Pros

Very Easy to Use. It is the first take off tool that I ever used and have had no problem.

Cons

Some times no intuitive enough. It is the First Take Off tool I use so sometimes it was hard to find a common function.

Lucy

Easy to Use

Reviewed on 9/16/2016

Pros

I have tried other Takeoff software, but this is the best for me. I like this product because it is user friendly and has several built in tools that others may not have. In addition, other software can be limited in functions or available tools. I also like that the
customer service representatives are friendly and helpful.

Cons

The export function to excel gets stuck at times other than that its good. I would like an option to measure segments on a page to accurately scale a page. As it is, a scale has to be either selected or created which could be a hassle when the page does not have a scale in which case you just have to guess until you get the right measurement you're looking for.