PlanSwift

Drag-and-drop takeoff and estimating solution

4.2/5
4.1/5
4.4/5
Customer Support Software
4.1/5

Very easy to take off quantities

Reviewed on 6/13/2020

Pros

I really like the easy take-off process that is given by this software. It is time-saving and leaves a track in the drawings where we can later review our takeoffs. We can easily generate marked drawings with quantity summaries on those drawings whereas the consultant or client can easily check the quantities.

Cons

I prefer if it had the possibility to generate reports with drawing wise quantity summary.

Stephen

Great for Takeoffs

Reviewed on 11/15/2016

*Disclaimer* I declined any training in this product, so negative experiences may be the result of ignorance

I've been using PlanSwift for nearly a year & am very happy with it. I use it exclusively for takeoffs, of which I have done over 600 this year. I would highly recommend it for takeoff purposes, but I have no experience with it's other functions & cannot offer any comments on them. Customer service was prompt & answered my questions to my satisfaction. They couldn't fix my desktop freezing problem (see below) & were not aware of it being a problem, but I found an acceptable workaround myself. I can't comment on value for money as I am not responsible for any budget in my company.

Pros

PlanSwift gives a high level of user control for the published result of the takeoff. I can modify takeoff colours, add notes, create my own legend (with notes), insert lines, arrows, etc. The takeoff functions are well designed. Adding an area to the same layer is easy, subtracting a section is just as easy & displays very nicely as a blank space which doesn't interfere with other layers or the original drawing. Modifying a takeoff shape or colour is very easy, as well as drawing curved shapes, copying shapes to same or new layer. Various layers don't interfere with each other, don't "fall behind", etc. Layers can easily be turned off & on. Scaling is excellent with preset dropdown & custom input available, allowing you to work in metric or imperial & scale in either without limiting your output unit selection (ie. scale in metric & get takeoff output in imperial units if desired).

It appears to me that a lot of attention went into the design of the takeoff features. There are a lot of little things that make it much easier to use. For example, drawing a shape can take several minutes sometimes, & if you are interrupted & need to use another program you just have to move to another screen or minimize the program & when you come back you can carry on. Lots of programs force you to resolve the function you were engaged in before minimizing, but PlanSwift doesn't. This little thing makes a big difference when referring to another drawing on a pdf that has to be zoomed, or moved, etc while doing the takeoff.

The published pdf is very easy to read, & looks clean & professional - a very high quality finished product is possible with this program.

Cons

The loading time is the biggest drawback. If I load too many drawings into the program at a time, opening the program, publishing a pdf, & organizing files within the program can take a long time. This also causes my desktop to freeze so that I cannot move files around or into folders until I restart windows, wait for my screensaver to come on, or sometimes it just fixes on it's own. This is silly, but it seems that the program loads every drawing in it's database when I open the program, so to keep loading times reasonable, I need to remove files from it's database when I finish with them. It's an annoying & unnecessary hassle. It may be that the program is designed to load several drawings for a single project & then file the whole project when complete; so this might indicate I am using the program in a way it wasn't intended. However, I don't want to file away each drawing when I'm finished & start a new project. The takeoff is the project for me, so creating a project for each drawing will end up costing me even more time, if that is how it is designed.

Twice with complicated, multi-layered projects, I've had the program freeze when attempting to publish a pdf. Generally at the end of the day when I've already stayed a bit late to finish, & the takeoff is needed asap. This sucks. Restarting, loading the program & trying again takes 10-15 min. In both case it has not worked after 3 tries & I've had to relay the info verbally or use a screenshot instead of a published pdf. Honestly, out of 600+ takeoffs, that's not terrible - I'm assuming it has something to do with the file format and/or amount of info I tried to publish. I've had lots of complicated takeoffs with many layers & pages work just fine.

Matt

• Customer Support Software

Very easy tool for accurate quantity takeoffs, but has not improved features in awhile

Reviewed on 8/17/2018

Pros

Low learning curve, very easy to use. Accurate quantities generated, and graphical representations of takeoff items (color-coding items on drawing sheets). Can be very flexible if you want to create custom takeoff tools or templates

Cons

Since purchased by Textura and then Oracle, the product has not improved at all. There is a clear limit to the number of drawing sheets that can be published; the program freezes or crashes if too many drawings loaded- this makes it a poor choice for large construction projects. Can be difficult to copy/paste transfer takeoff items between drawing versions, and can't transfer at all between project files. Also, navigability of drawing sheets could be easier- providing links to open additional sheets for referencing sections/details/callouts, etc.

MIKE
  • Industry: Electrical/Electronic Manufacturing

EC using Planswift versus others

Reviewed on 6/27/2019

Good, little glitches here and there, appreciate the ability to float the license from terminal to terminal

Pros

Value of the product and intuitive design for getting started for a beginner, easy to teach

Cons

Autocount is not very accurate
It would be good to see some feature that auto-centers your takeoff mark over the object since you can fly through a takeoff if you could rely on the computer to center your marks, somehow integrated with the OCR it should be able to do that

Trimble Accubid Anywhere

Cost / Value
  • Industry: Food & Beverages

Great Product

Reviewed on 12/3/2019

Overall this is a fantastic product and it would be amazing if it could be upgraded to allow more than one aet of plans to be open.

Pros

I love this software. It is easy to use. Gives great measurements. Allows fairly accurate job costing. And it has a ton of functions that are very useful for so many aspects of construction.

Cons

The only thing that I do not like about this software is that yoy can only have one set of plans open at a time.

• Company size: 1,001-5,000 Employees

User-Friendly and Functional

Reviewed on 7/11/2018

The accurate quantity takeoff from the PDF format drawings.

Pros

It is one the best quantity takeoff software that I have ever used. It really match with PDF format drawings and give you the ability to categorize and organize the bill of quantities inside the software and transfer them to Excel. You can also apply the unit rates and build up an estimate. Very appropriate for building works including residential and ICI.

Cons

The software has been designed mostly for 2D drawings. When it comes with 3D such as cut & fill takeoff, it doesn't work. I don't recommend the software for heavy-civil jobs.

• Industry: Architecture & Planning

PlanSwift for Architecta

Reviewed on 11/13/2018

Pros

It's really easy to use and you can do your estimates in very little time and with not that much effort by using PlanSwift.

Cons

The only complaint I have is that it takes about 2 hours on the phone for support to actually attend your call.

An Estimators Bestfriend

Reviewed on 12/14/2018

Overall Planswift would make an excellant addition to any company or end user looking to do material takeoffs. Planswift also has a great back log of videos that can be used to help you along the journey if you were ever to get stuck on a particular feature.

Pros

Planswift is one of the best and affordable products for anyone looking to do estimating. The ability to create folders and well ask auto count items makes for a simple yet efficient process.

Cons

Although a great product, planswift like most can be very expensive. However the efficiency of the software far outweighs the cost.

Planswift Review

Reviewed on 10/23/2019

Overall I would recommend it for the price and the ease of use.

Pros

Easy to use and a quick learn. I like the tool palette and some of the summary features and report tabs.

Cons

It was supposed to be integrated with estimating platforms but we were never able to make it work and limited customer service.

Cosby

Great for estimating

Reviewed on 3/1/2018

Pros

This is a great tool for taking quick takeoffs. Allows you to upload whole plan sets or individual pages depending on need. The takeoff functions snap to lines seamlessly provide quick and accurate measurements.

Cons

Spending a little time on the front end can make estimating various construction trades easier, however this process is lengthy and will probably turn most casual users off.

Dave

• Customer Support Software

Very comprehensive and customizable takeoff software

Reviewed on 4/14/2014

Pros

I work for a small construction company as the project estimator. I have to do takeoffs on basically every aspect of the home so I can put together budgets and bid out the project properly.

This is a seriously powerful tool for doing a full building takeoff. Almost all aspects of it are customizable, so you can make this thing do just about anything you want. I've got a template set up that that allows me to use one measurement to calculate quantities for multiple parts. And, if something changes, I can easily manipulate it to figure the new data. So, I measure for block work on foundation and I tell it how many courses I want and it will change the calculations based on the number I select.

For the most part, the customer service has been extremely helpful.

I am able to save and print views of the takeoffs. This has been extremely helpful when putting together ceiling joist and rafter layouts for my field team. This has helped eliminate a lot of wasted (expensive) lumber by the framers cutting up wood they shouldn't (like cutting up a 2x10x26 intended for a rafter and using it for headers).

Cons

Knowledge base: Sometimes the knowledge base can be a little tricky. It will often take you to outdated versions or may not show anything at all. Much of the information is not laid out in a very intuitive way.

Customer service: There have been a few times where I've run into glitches with the software. The costumer service was not helpful every time (though they have been 99% of the time). Sometimes they have been problematic. I use the labeled count feature regularly, but it doesn't always total up the counts properly. When I contacted customer service, the rep I spoke with just said, "I'm not sure. It's probably the computer." He said that about a couple issues. He never did a real review or provided a resolution. I've found ways to work around it, though.

Robert

• Customer Support Software

Planswift is and essential tool that we use everyday - could be improved though

Reviewed on 9/5/2018

Please lower price ? Or introduce discounts at certain times of the year for existing customers who have had the software for a certain amount of time.

Pros

I love that we're able to take off drawings digitally, a lot different than I when used to have to take off projects when I was younger by hand. I love the support we're able to access when we have questions, everyone seems to be very knowledgeable about the software and knows how to answer our questions directly and effectively. I also like how we're allowed to disable the license each time we're finished using the software each day at the office - allows me to pick up different projects that I work on for personal projects at home with not having to buy two separate licenses (which can be costly)

Cons

The price can be overwhelming at times - we like to keep up with the maintenance/updates and support which is an additional couple hundred dollars every year.
Not to mention wanting to get a couple more computers with Planswift on each with their own license is impossible for us at this time, which is actually holding us back.

Dean

• Customer Support Software

Easily the best takeoff & estimating software available!

Reviewed on 6/8/2017

We are a large GC and self-perform much of our own work (concrete, framing, roofing, drywall, siding, etc.) and even do takeoffs on the work we are subbing out to keep our subs in check. We feel the sample parts & assemblies that come with the software as well as the plugins PlanSwift offers are useless. We found a company (www.precisiontakeoffs.com) that makes what PlanSwift refers to as "Third Party" plugins and they have been amazing. We have purchased 6 plugins from this company and they are very easy to use, very detailed, and very versatile. These plugins weren't cheap but are worth the investment. We would still recommend PlanSwift without these plugins as it is very easy to use and extremely accurate. I don't understand all the negative comments I see about PlanSwift. You don't need to be a computer programmer to use PlanSwift. It doesn't crash all the time. We rarely have any issues with it and when we do it almost always is a user issue, not a PlanSwift issue.

Pros

We love the fact that you can do everything (takeoff, pricing, overhead, profit, & bid proposal) within PlanSwift!

Cons

It does have a bit of lag on bigger takeoffs as it is only a 32 bit system. Customer service is terrible!

Charlie

Solid Takeoff Software

Reviewed on 1/4/2017

Used this software for two years for Mechanical/Air Distribution Equipment Takeoff. It is quick and easy to perform counts and linear/area takeoffs. There were some minor glitches, but once I learned how to avoid them I had no problems with accuracy/ease of use. The software has a lot of potential for speeding up takeoff with custom columns/properties, templates, that require some set-up by the user. When I first got the software there was a great plug-in store that provided added features, but unfortunately, that has been taken down for the foreseeable future. My biggest complaint is that support does not seem to respond to many of my emails or takes a long time which is unacceptable given the cost of yearly maintenance/support.

I did not use some of the tools like parts and reports, so I can't comment on those.

Pros

Easy to get started with takeoff (counts, linear, area) and organize your takeoff items
Fast takeoff, quick to load new pages/zoom in and out
Custom columns/properties allow for in software calculations

Cons

Have to import pages to the software, has proprietary plan swift job files that make sharing a bit harder.
Some glitches such as takeoff items getting jumbled when exporting/importing
Have to create folders for breakouts/separating takeoff by page (without plugins at least) which can make things like room schedules a bit tedious.

Linda

• Customer Support Software

Planswift meets our growing needs and is expandable

Reviewed on 7/12/2018

Overall, we love this product for our companies needs.

Pros

Easy to use and great support for training and technical issues. The support team works well to accomplish better performance and has a great system for followup and trouble shooting. The program itself is very intuitive to use for the takeoff section, and lots of autocad shortcuts work wtih planswift.

Cons

Building of assemblies is not straight forward. It is cumbersome to put them together. The reporting function as well is not as all encompassing as we would like to see it. Too generic in its applications with no real way to modify the output without great difficulty.

Aaron

• Customer Support Software

PlanSwift offers a top of the line product

Reviewed on 7/23/2015

Pros

PlanSwift offers a wide variety of tools and calculation methods to save the estimator time. The joist/rafter tool is the feature that pulled me to the buying decision. The speed with which I can prepare layouts with various on-center spacing and direction changes is incredible. The hip/valley measuring tool also saves me the trouble of pulling a calculator. Now I can provide concise, color coded layouts to clients along with a bill of materials needed for the job. The measuring flexibility and speed of PlanSwift is also unbeaten in my experience of using scales, wheels, digitizers and other on-screen tools. All of my measurements can be color coded and saved. When I need a clean sheet to measure another item, I can simply click to 'turn off' or 'show' any or all measurements to either leave a clean measuring page or print cut-sheets. When I question a measurement, every measurement is clearly recorded on the screen and can be verified at any time. Even when I click an incorrect point when performing a take-off, I do not have to start over. All I do is hit a key to remove that point and my take-off and I can proceed as if I didn't make an error.

Cons

The labeling feature does not yet allow the estimator to place labels at various angles (for example, along a hip board). In addition, building assemblies to take-off multiple types of materials is not possible without extensive knowledge of programming.

Paul

Planswift is Great

Reviewed on 6/28/2021

Overall has been great! ran into a licensing issue with one of my computers but it was the computer itself that was an issue rather than Planswift so once I had fixed the issue with the computer everything got better.

Pros

What I like about this software is that it is easy to install and manage. I also like the online portal where I can see all my licenses as well as what computers they are installed in and how long the license is valid for until it reactivates itself. The customer support is also great as I had remote support from them and they really stayed on there trying to solve the issue and escalated it to a supervisor when needed,

Cons

Not much to say about what I don't like since they did a really good job when I needed support with fixing an issue as well as it is overall easy to administer

Alan

1000's of lost hours

Reviewed on 2/11/2017

I recently logged in to complete a new project's takeoff and realized that all of my previous projects had been permanently lost. I basically lost thousands of hours of takeoff and had to redo multiple projects just to be able to bid new projects. I have also been looking to add an earthwork plugin and recently found out that they are no longer selling these plugins and couldn't tell me when or if they would ever be selling these again.

Pros

Ease of use.

Cons

Lost projects. No longer selling pluggins.

Trey

Great Tool

Reviewed on 3/5/2019

Able to do our job quicker and more accurate with this product

Pros

Easy to take of square footage, significantly faster than the old way of doing it by hand. It provides a one stop shop where all the drawings are. Customer service/training is available which is nice when you're trying to learn the program.

Cons

The only con we've found is that it takes a while to get set up

Gary

• Customer Support Software

Great estimating tool for daily use.

Reviewed on 12/12/2017

We have been using it for 10 years and like it for what it does.

Pros

color coding tools on plan page
item list totaling for multiple pages with same digitizer tool
estimating tab for recaps
saving tool templates

Cons

no real-time collaboration between users
no Mac support
Copy page does not copy digitizer tools
Failure to support past versions.
Upgrade cost too much

Michael

Honest Review

Reviewed on 8/8/2019

Great. Getting quotes out in no time

Pros

It will allow you to take off plans in a fraction of the time compared to doing it with pen and paper. It can export all of your takeoff to Excel and makes sending quotes a breeze.

Cons

That i did not find out about this software sooner

Carson

Awesome takeoff software

Reviewed on 10/16/2017

Pros

Easy to use. I can quickly find values such as square footages, linear footages and counts.

Cons

File storage could be better. When competing with software such as Microsoft word a certain level of user experience is expected. It's hard to move lots of files. But you just have to plan ahead.

Derek

Planswift Review

Reviewed on 2/23/2017

Planswift is very intuitive to use. It's as easy as picking up the mouse and getting to work. Other takeoff softwares are no as easy to figure out or are slower. I like the earthwork pro feature for quick topographical takeoffs.

Pros

Ease of use, fast.

Cons

Can't get bridge to work between estimating software.

Robert

PlanSwift Estimating

Reviewed on 12/13/2016

PlanSwift is an excellent take-off tool but a little intimidating when you try to use it beyond that. We recently made the decision to do both our take-off and estimating in PlanSwift. With a minimal investment of time, I was able to input our item database and begin to write assemblies for various common take-off tasks. One of the big payoffs for this was that we entered commonly used formulas and simplified the estimating process. No longer do I have to do a take-off and then do a separate calculation with that quantity. PlanSwift automatically creates separate 'parts' and calculates totals for individual materials when I use the proper assembly.

Pros

The information is taken off and not re-entered in a separate spreadsheet or program.

Cons

Assemblies are relatively basic. Timberline assemblies will choose items from a database for you simply by answering a few questions. PlanSwift assemblies have to be built for a specific material type or the parts need to be selected manually.

Harvey

PlanSwift Takeoff Program

Reviewed on 8/26/2015

Pros

In my experience with PlanSwift software I find that uploading plans, from both paper copies and internet links, is simple and easy. This makes it quick to get started on take off for calculations. I am a roofer and I need to have totals for squares of material on roofing projects. I have found this program invaluable in conducting my estimating for upcoming projects, saving me time and money from necessary job site visits. Software Advice was right on the money when they recommended PlanSwift!

Cons

The only drawback for me with PlanSwift has been the amount of time it has taken to learn all the controls but I am old school and used to walking a roof and measuring with a tape measure, not so strong on the computer. But if I can do it so can anyone else.