PlanSwift

Drag-and-drop takeoff and estimating solution

4.2/5
4.1/5
4.4/5
Customer Support Software
4.1/5

• Company size: 501–1,000 Employees

Estimating using PlanSwift

Reviewed on 2018-11-06

Pros

There were a few things that I enjoyed about this software, the ease of finding all of the tools you need to do a take off was very convenient. Also being able to do a take off then drop in the material you are needing and having the software do an estimate for you is also very convenient.

Cons

A con would be that sometimes when you upload a set of drawings they come in messed up, they will be upside down or aligned wrong. The drawings also tend to be uploaded without their sheet names.

MIKE
  • Industry: Electrical/Electronic Manufacturing

EC using Planswift versus others

Reviewed on 2019-06-27

Good, little glitches here and there, appreciate the ability to float the license from terminal to terminal

Pros

Value of the product and intuitive design for getting started for a beginner, easy to teach

Cons

Autocount is not very accurate
It would be good to see some feature that auto-centers your takeoff mark over the object since you can fly through a takeoff if you could rely on the computer to center your marks, somehow integrated with the OCR it should be able to do that

Trimble Accubid Anywhere

Reasons for Choosing PlanSwift

Value / Cost

Trimble Accubid Anywhere

Reasons for Switching to PlanSwift

Cost / Value
Jeff

• Customer Support Software

Disappointing over the long run

Reviewed on 2016-02-17

Pros

I found it easy to learn and it became the go-to program for viewing, measuring, and recording any info relating to architectural drawings. On many occasions, if I thought of some action I would like to see the program perform, a little research revealed that it was already built into the program. I have been surprised many times by the wealth of things this program can do.

Cons

One thing the program doesn't do well anymore is load drawings. When I first purchased about two years ago, the drawings loaded very well, and viewed as clearly as the source pdf file. But after a month or so, and a couple of hundred drawings later, the program began to have trouble loading drawings. Sometimes the program would just stall during upload, or if it did upload, a lot of lines would be missing from the drawing. It was possible to still do take-offs, but I would often have to keep the source pdf drawing open on another monitor. The latest batch of drawings I loaded were a real mess. Internet forums discuss this problem, but last time I looked no one had a solution. I contacted the company when this problem first appeared, but they were no help. I now regard a take-off program as indispensable, so I'm now shopping around for something to replace the Planswift program.

Juan
  • Industry: Glass, Ceramics & Concrete

Excellent Value for the Money - Full take off AND estimating capabilities

Reviewed on 2017-09-15

We are a medium size concrete and masonry subcontractor.
We have used another estimating software for about 17 years, but no on screen take off abilities and very little flexibility in creating your own assemblies or unit prices. It is more of a general GC type of software. It was time for a change.
I am very happy with Planswift. No software is perfect, but definitely Planswift makes easy taking off and estimating a job.
If you plan on using it just for take off purposes, you can start as soon as you buy it.
But if you plan on using it as an estimating tool, my suggestion is to give yourself at least 1 month so your most trusted estimator builds the assemblies (full time job). With only 2 or 3 hours of training a smart techy estimator can do it. But it is a long process. And the more you learn about assemblies, the more you have to go back and improve the ones you already built.
Based on what I have seen so far, I think Planswift was created as a take off software and then adapted to an estimating one. This is somehow inconvenient, but not a deal breaker. Like every software, there are things it can not do, or at least not in the way a user would like to see them.
But overall, it works just fine.
We have now a full database with our custom made assemblies and 5 people using Planswift.

Pros

Take off portion is super user friendly. You learn how to use it in a couple of hours.
Price is very reasonable.
Huge savings in prints to bid jobs.
Database can be shared among all users.
You can create as many assemblies and unit price templates as you want.
You have access to formulas to calculate material quantities based on the take off.
Customer support is excellent and unlimited for simple take off questions.
Training is excellent
My sales person, Conner Livingston, still assists me when I need his help.

Cons

To use the pricing portion you have to create your own assemblies. They are not pre-built.
Lacks security features to prevent deleting custom made reports. You have to back them up.
Lacks security features to prevent others to modify your database and custom made reports. You have to back them up.
Only two people at Planswift have knowledge about building reports and is not part of the regular customer support. Either you buy a Training package or pay by the hour so they can help you build the reports you need.

Robert

• Customer Support Software

Planswift is and essential tool that we use everyday - could be improved though

Reviewed on 2018-09-05

Please lower price ? Or introduce discounts at certain times of the year for existing customers who have had the software for a certain amount of time.

Pros

I love that we're able to take off drawings digitally, a lot different than I when used to have to take off projects when I was younger by hand. I love the support we're able to access when we have questions, everyone seems to be very knowledgeable about the software and knows how to answer our questions directly and effectively. I also like how we're allowed to disable the license each time we're finished using the software each day at the office - allows me to pick up different projects that I work on for personal projects at home with not having to buy two separate licenses (which can be costly)

Cons

The price can be overwhelming at times - we like to keep up with the maintenance/updates and support which is an additional couple hundred dollars every year.
Not to mention wanting to get a couple more computers with Planswift on each with their own license is impossible for us at this time, which is actually holding us back.

Dave

• Customer Support Software

Very comprehensive and customizable takeoff software

Reviewed on 2014-04-14

Pros

I work for a small construction company as the project estimator. I have to do takeoffs on basically every aspect of the home so I can put together budgets and bid out the project properly.

This is a seriously powerful tool for doing a full building takeoff. Almost all aspects of it are customizable, so you can make this thing do just about anything you want. I've got a template set up that that allows me to use one measurement to calculate quantities for multiple parts. And, if something changes, I can easily manipulate it to figure the new data. So, I measure for block work on foundation and I tell it how many courses I want and it will change the calculations based on the number I select.

For the most part, the customer service has been extremely helpful.

I am able to save and print views of the takeoffs. This has been extremely helpful when putting together ceiling joist and rafter layouts for my field team. This has helped eliminate a lot of wasted (expensive) lumber by the framers cutting up wood they shouldn't (like cutting up a 2x10x26 intended for a rafter and using it for headers).

Cons

Knowledge base: Sometimes the knowledge base can be a little tricky. It will often take you to outdated versions or may not show anything at all. Much of the information is not laid out in a very intuitive way.

Customer service: There have been a few times where I've run into glitches with the software. The costumer service was not helpful every time (though they have been 99% of the time). Sometimes they have been problematic. I use the labeled count feature regularly, but it doesn't always total up the counts properly. When I contacted customer service, the rep I spoke with just said, "I'm not sure. It's probably the computer." He said that about a couple issues. He never did a real review or provided a resolution. I've found ways to work around it, though.

Shane

• Customer Support Software

Great takeoff software, good parts estimation, NO database

Reviewed on 2017-10-24

Planswift is like an open-source, do-it-yourself platform. It is awesome in it's capability to write what you need and even design the input screens to look very clean and professional. But negatives come with that...it's not good at all for multiple users, you have to define all your own processes and there is little to no bid-level abilities with the software. Most of the great reviews for Planswift are based on the Takeoff aspect. They are correct. But the estimation side is only great for a single, hands-on user.

Pros

-Takeoff probably couldn't be better. All takeoff software should be judged against Planswift.
-Estimation is confusing at first, but very powerful. Everything is customizable.
-Price is very low for what you can do.

Cons

-No database. This is a basic requirement. You can connect to MS database, but one shouldn't need to do that.
-Reporting is not good at all. It is very glitchy. So it appears easy to customize, but then things just quit working.
-Support and upgrades have seemingly stopped. Ownership has a changed a few times and now the software seems to be in limbo.

Very easy to take off quantities

Reviewed on 2020-06-13

Pros

I really like the easy take-off process that is given by this software. It is time-saving and leaves a track in the drawings where we can later review our takeoffs. We can easily generate marked drawings with quantity summaries on those drawings whereas the consultant or client can easily check the quantities.

Cons

I prefer if it had the possibility to generate reports with drawing wise quantity summary.

• Industry: Food & Beverages

Great Product

Reviewed on 2019-12-03

Overall this is a fantastic product and it would be amazing if it could be upgraded to allow more than one aet of plans to be open.

Pros

I love this software. It is easy to use. Gives great measurements. Allows fairly accurate job costing. And it has a ton of functions that are very useful for so many aspects of construction.

Cons

The only thing that I do not like about this software is that yoy can only have one set of plans open at a time.

• Company size: 1,001–5,000 Employees

User-Friendly and Functional

Reviewed on 2018-07-11

The accurate quantity takeoff from the PDF format drawings.

Pros

It is one the best quantity takeoff software that I have ever used. It really match with PDF format drawings and give you the ability to categorize and organize the bill of quantities inside the software and transfer them to Excel. You can also apply the unit rates and build up an estimate. Very appropriate for building works including residential and ICI.

Cons

The software has been designed mostly for 2D drawings. When it comes with 3D such as cut & fill takeoff, it doesn't work. I don't recommend the software for heavy-civil jobs.

Lynn

• Customer Support Software

PlanSwift claims to be the number 1 takeoff software. It's true!

Reviewed on 2018-10-25

I've been using this software for over 6 years now (back at version 8.0). I have customized the export to excel and created a fully automatic system where I use PlanSwift for the super fast take off features, then export it into my customized excel worksheet which makes everything instantly calculated the way I want it with instant and automatic reports (material order / P.O., field labor budget for the workers in the field, accounting report, financial evaluation of the bid... etc. ALL others will not allow me to do the same. PlanSwift stands alone in the BEST option.

Pros

Easy to learn. Dead on accurate. Super easy to navigate. Also... you can learn how to customize PlanSwift to give you the Export into Excel anyway you would like. No limitations. No other software has this feature.

PRICE: Seems high but remember... this is a ONE TIME PURCHASE (no annual fees). Saves a TON of money compared to others who charge an up front fee PLUS their annual fee .

Cons

I can't find anything wrong with this software. Everything others lack, PlanSwift has it included. Again... I haven't found another digital takeoff software that even comes close. I would recommend this one and let readers know you can buy with confidence.

Dean

• Customer Support Software

Easily the best takeoff & estimating software available!

Reviewed on 2017-06-08

We are a large GC and self-perform much of our own work (concrete, framing, roofing, drywall, siding, etc.) and even do takeoffs on the work we are subbing out to keep our subs in check. We feel the sample parts & assemblies that come with the software as well as the plugins PlanSwift offers are useless. We found a company (www.precisiontakeoffs.com) that makes what PlanSwift refers to as "Third Party" plugins and they have been amazing. We have purchased 6 plugins from this company and they are very easy to use, very detailed, and very versatile. These plugins weren't cheap but are worth the investment. We would still recommend PlanSwift without these plugins as it is very easy to use and extremely accurate. I don't understand all the negative comments I see about PlanSwift. You don't need to be a computer programmer to use PlanSwift. It doesn't crash all the time. We rarely have any issues with it and when we do it almost always is a user issue, not a PlanSwift issue.

Pros

We love the fact that you can do everything (takeoff, pricing, overhead, profit, & bid proposal) within PlanSwift!

Cons

It does have a bit of lag on bigger takeoffs as it is only a 32 bit system. Customer service is terrible!

Linda

• Customer Support Software

Planswift meets our growing needs and is expandable

Reviewed on 2018-07-12

Overall, we love this product for our companies needs.

Pros

Easy to use and great support for training and technical issues. The support team works well to accomplish better performance and has a great system for followup and trouble shooting. The program itself is very intuitive to use for the takeoff section, and lots of autocad shortcuts work wtih planswift.

Cons

Building of assemblies is not straight forward. It is cumbersome to put them together. The reporting function as well is not as all encompassing as we would like to see it. Too generic in its applications with no real way to modify the output without great difficulty.

Matt
  • Industry: Building Materials

Great On-Screen Takeoff Tool

Reviewed on 2016-12-08

We started using this product to save money on plans and expedite the takeoff process. We still use our own excel-based estimating template, but the software allows us to quickly takeoff and add/subtract sections from the estimate with ease and without having to commit to print a full plan set without first being awarded the job. The accuracy is close to what we get for counts with a scale and excel line items.

Pros

The takeoff interface is much easier to use than On-Screen that I have used. Most commands and different functions can all be performed with the mouse and keyboard in a very streamlined and user-friendly manner. It also always you to use and arc function to measure arc distances. The area and linear takeoff/deduct items are very useful as long as you know what exactly you are looking for.

Cons

It is very easy to make a mistake in your takeoff of the elevations if you don't keep track of the floor plans and returns into the building as well. It requires you to be as thorough as if you were taking it off by hand, but the measuring and recording parts become much easier. You must still learn all wall types and details to no make a mistake. A 3D software would take into account returns into the building and wall backups/details that are sometimes hard to keep track of in 2D.

GREGORY

• Customer Support Software

Cocky and arrogant support with an outdated product.

Reviewed on 2021-02-17

Worst company I have ever dealt with.

Pros

There was not much I liked with the program at all. It was not Mac friendly on parallels.

Cons

Everything was horrible including the customer support.

STACK

Bluebeam Revu

Reasons for Switching to PlanSwift

I didn’t.
Perri

Affordable Digitization

Reviewed on 2017-11-16

I've been using Planswift for over 15 years and I love it. While there are other products out there, I feel Planswift gives me the most for my money. If you are looking at other products, I would suggest, that you factor in maintenance cost into your overall price.

Pros

Small learning curve, feature packed, ease of use, the overall cost is lower than most when maintenance cost is figured into the overall price.

Cons

New features could come out faster, not cloud-based, needs to be able to sync with tablets. Import DPI could be higher.

Paige

Planswift user

Reviewed on 2022-01-27

Overall, I would recommend Planswift to a friend if they are starting out with estimating because it is easy to use.
I do wish there was an online/ cloud base option that saved in real time so it was automatically updated as adjustments to takeoffs are made. - that would be very helpful for me and my company

Pros

I love that the takeoff can be scaled to fill in your footing lines etc, the takeoff system is very easy to use & learn.

Cons

The customer service is lacking, anytime there was an issue it could take up to 3 days to have someone call back to resolve the issue.

There isn't an automatic save option, you will need to save the takeoff after each revision.

Response from ConstructConnect

Thank you so much for your sincere review. We take pride in providing good service, so I will be forwarding this feedback to the team. We value you and your business very much. Thank you

Aaron

• Customer Support Software

PlanSwift offers a top of the line product

Reviewed on 2015-07-23

Pros

PlanSwift offers a wide variety of tools and calculation methods to save the estimator time. The joist/rafter tool is the feature that pulled me to the buying decision. The speed with which I can prepare layouts with various on-center spacing and direction changes is incredible. The hip/valley measuring tool also saves me the trouble of pulling a calculator. Now I can provide concise, color coded layouts to clients along with a bill of materials needed for the job. The measuring flexibility and speed of PlanSwift is also unbeaten in my experience of using scales, wheels, digitizers and other on-screen tools. All of my measurements can be color coded and saved. When I need a clean sheet to measure another item, I can simply click to 'turn off' or 'show' any or all measurements to either leave a clean measuring page or print cut-sheets. When I question a measurement, every measurement is clearly recorded on the screen and can be verified at any time. Even when I click an incorrect point when performing a take-off, I do not have to start over. All I do is hit a key to remove that point and my take-off and I can proceed as if I didn't make an error.

Cons

The labeling feature does not yet allow the estimator to place labels at various angles (for example, along a hip board). In addition, building assemblies to take-off multiple types of materials is not possible without extensive knowledge of programming.

Leticia

• Customer Support Software

Best takeoff software on the market!

Reviewed on 2018-11-19

This is the best software for anyone doing takeoffs as an estimator.

Pros

I love this take off software. I am able to do sf, lnft, roofs with the pitch, quantity, etc. and I can do them in different colors for ease.

Cons

I love everything about this product. I honestly have nothing bad to say about it except that when you try to have higher resolution uploads, it will sometimes stop the program.

Gary

• Customer Support Software

Great estimating tool for daily use.

Reviewed on 2017-12-12

We have been using it for 10 years and like it for what it does.

Pros

color coding tools on plan page
item list totaling for multiple pages with same digitizer tool
estimating tab for recaps
saving tool templates

Cons

no real-time collaboration between users
no Mac support
Copy page does not copy digitizer tools
Failure to support past versions.
Upgrade cost too much

Quinn
  • Used for 2+ years

Best Take-Off Software

Reviewed on 2019-08-02

My take-off's have been consistently accurate and well organized. They are easy to communicate to the estimators and their confidence in me and the take-offs have made the estimating process much easier. Our quality of estimates has improved due to the quality of the take-off.

Pros

Easy to use and understand. The way it allows me to organize my take-off is fantastic. I haven't used the cost estimating on it yet but I plan to and I feel like there is great value in it once I get that setup. I love the little tricks that help make the take-offs go much faster. the accuracy is fantastic.

Cons

Learning the software was like learning any new software it took a bit of time. But with YouTube this is made much easier.

Tim
  • Industry: Design

• Customer Support Software

Straightforward software with easy-to-use tools

Reviewed on 2014-06-05

Pros

- Straightforward and easy to use.
- QTOs are faster than on PDF writer, which allows measuring
- Able to scale drawings based on manual reference lines
- Ability to overlay drawings and compare revisions
- Video tutorials under the help heading
- Being able to turn off unneeded digitized elements to reduce clutter/overlap on the screen
- Ability to load multiple drawings into one project and quickly jump back and forth
- Magnifying tool

Cons

- Method of saving to network or hard drive; cannot move the files once saved or risk corruption.
- Not being able to change the name or color of an element once digitized without changing all of the elements of that type (For example, partition drawn as Type A but should be Type B. Renaming the element changes all the Type A elements on the page).
- Would like to see 1:75 and 1:400 as metric scale options
- Not being able to provide a QTO summary of each page of a multi-page project; currently have to make unique names for each floor
- Would like to see a way to customize what is shown in the legend (would like to be able to turn the quantities on and off).
- Using one scale for a whole page; sometimes multiple scales are present on one page.

Jesse

Plan Swift - Quick Efficient and Powerful

Reviewed on 2018-08-15

Pros

Super fast set up. Decent add on's and support. Exports to Excel. Best value for money. Free 14 day trial so you can really get a feel for it.

Cons

Modifying items or creating new items is quite involved. I tend to use my own costing assemblies and use this for take off.

Erik

Customer service lacking Planswift crashing

Reviewed on 2020-12-08

average

Pros

Easy to use, install and overall cost compared to similar products.

Cons

Planswift used to work like a champ, now however we are experiencing frequent crashes and lock ups, customer support is nowhere to be found.

Jerry

Must Have

Reviewed on 2017-07-11

Pros

Fast and accurate generating from drawings. Like the overlay feature and has build in estimating support.

Cons

The custom markup and note functions are very basic, can use some improvement. The other marking shapes are also not quite customizable too.