Stripe Billing

Subscriptions and invoicing for ambitious businesses

Customer Support Software
4.5/5

Jake S.
  • Industry: Events Services

Great for MRR

Reviewed on 2020-06-12

Overall i'm happy with Stipe Billign and will continue to use it

Pros

We use this mainly for our MRR clients where we can set it up for the customer and forget it. Nice to not have to bill a customer every month.

Cons

I don't like that you cant pro-rate a month of service, this makes it difficult to keep billing dates consistent

PayPal
  • Industry: Media Production
  • Company size: 1,001-5,000 Employees

The standard for online payments

Reviewed on 2020-08-04

I've been very impressed by Stripe Billings offering and would recommend to others - it's really the standrd I feel.

Pros

I liked Stripe Bilings documentation and features the most. For documentation it's top notch, offing clear, easy to follow instructions and examples, really making an engineers life easier. The features Stripe Billing allows for are also industry standard and top notch.

Cons

Stripe does take a decent percentage of each transaction which can be hard to stomach, BUT in return you get a world class billing product, without having to worry about so many things yourself.

Sarah W.
  • Industry: Consumer Goods

Mainly use it for disputes, and it makes the process simple

Reviewed on 2019-05-15

Stripe Billing is easy to use, as it is all mapped out for you

Pros

Responding to disputes is very simple, time-consuming but there isn't much that Stripe can do about that part

Cons

Having to download every conversation with a customer via PDF takes a lot of time

Matthew S.
  • Industry: Mental Health Care

Set it and forget it

Reviewed on 2019-08-04

Pros

In my business, I have Stripe integrated with my scheduling software, so it basically runs in the background. And it's flawless.

Cons

I really can't think of a single gripe I have with Stripe.

Sam P.

• Customer Support Software

A must for SaaS start ups.

Reviewed on 2019-01-09

Amazing product for start ups who need recurring billing as there is no initial or monthly fee.

Pros

Free processing for up to $1 million
Easily create multiple types of subscriptions
Great analytics
Easily integrated with accounting software and payment gateways

Cons

We have not had any problems as of this review to note.

Denise T.

Over my head experience

Reviewed on 2019-10-08

Pros

Didn't like it. Too technical for a novice user, like myself. It was not user friendly for me.

Cons

Very technical, too advanced for a novice user.

Zeeshan A.
  • Industry: Computer & Network Security
  • Company size: 501-1,000 Employees

Stripe easy integration

Reviewed on 2020-11-20

We are running Stripe On-Site and Stripe billing in parallel. With Stripe on-site we have good conversion and complete control on recurring transactions we can charge the recurring and apply the discount on run time by running a simple cron whenever we want but with Stripe billing you loose that control and you have to modify the recurring from Stripe dashboard. However Stripe billing provides you better conversion.

Pros

We were using Stripe on-site which increased our conversion rate and had hold on recurring transactions but to compare the difference between on-site and Stripe Billing we integrated the Stripe billing and found that Stripe Billing increased our conversion than the previous Stripe on-site integration. Stripe billing provides built-in dunning management.

Cons

You loose the complete control of recurring transactions and have to use Stripe dashboard to update the recurring transactions.

Andrea H.
  • Industry: Arts & Crafts

Stripe billing review

Reviewed on 2018-12-22

Overall this product is a breeze to use! I get email notifications all the time if there is activity and I get payouts quickly and efficiently.

Pros

I use this product for the squarespace website and it's so easy to use! It gives me all my sales information and it's very clear when I'll get paid out.

Cons

Only downside is they take a transaction fee however it's really not that much so it's no big deal. Great asset for my website

• Industry: Entertainment

Must-have payment processor

Reviewed on 2018-12-18

Pros

Exceptionally easy to use, great fees compared to competition

Cons

You cannot use Striped alone, but rather integrate with a third party to be able to bill your client. Havings said that there are so many integrations available that this does not really represent an issue

Nohelya D.
  • Industry: Food Production
  • Company size: 501-1,000 Employees

Just what we needed

Reviewed on 2021-05-06

Pros

We managed to deploy this tool very easily and it allowed us to establish subscription prices to our products with one-time add ons. Very satisfied with it.

Cons

We would like for it to have a payment plan with a set number of payments with start and end dates, also doesn't have the most intuitive User Interface.

Matthew V.

• Customer Support Software

Perfect for one time payments and recurring

Reviewed on 2019-12-05

Very satisfied. Definitely great for when you are starting out and even with an established business.

Pros

I like that I can use it directly as well as integrate it with my own point of sale system. I used to have to pay for a software that could do both one time payments and automatic recurring subscriptions but this beat them out. I work mostly from my computer and its easy to get into and if I can't remember how to do one functions I can easily get what I need from their support forums or support chat.

Cons

Only thing this won't do is notify me if a payment doesn't go through, but there is a quick fix for that. I just use zapier and now I receive an email notification if that happens. Oh and I had a chargeback once I'd like to see an option to upload multiple documents for disputes not just one. I get that there is only so much file size available in messages plus my contract took care of that issue.

PayPal

Reasons for Choosing Stripe Billing

Cost. There are a few more features in Zoho that came out recently that I would use but I am trying to keep my overhead as low as possible right now.

Zoho Subscriptions

Reasons for Switching to Stripe Billing

Better features in my opinion and how I operate.
Adonay S.

The best payment gateway

Reviewed on 2020-09-17

Mostly great, like I said, the learning curve isn't the shortest, but as they have lots of options (that, after going through that learning curve you'll find they're needed in order to give your customers the best options and support) you'll be able to offer a great service for your clients, no need to get in trouble with clients because of the payment gateway.

Pros

They take privacy in a very serious way. And they know their product is used mostly by developers, so their site has plenty of support, examples forums and every kind of resource that makes it easier for developers to implement payments on any platform. Also, they have options to manage clients and subscriptions that can be billed for in a fixed period of time, give them free trials, etc. Their commissions aren't the cheapest, but I consider they aren't also very expensive.
Another thing that we liked is that they keep developing their offer, like accepting payments via convenience stores (currently in beta while i'm writing this review)

Cons

It has a big learning curve. At first it's difficult to get familiar with all the concepts they use for their different parts of the process, I wasn't able to find a simple tutorial on their site (found some in external sites).

Karen P.

Stipe Has Limitations and Difficult to Work With

Reviewed on 2021-05-20

It is like using software from the 1990s. This is great to use because you do not need a landline but they need to add functionality such as taking a credit card in the field or in the store without an internet connection.

Pros

I like that I can take payments via my ecommerce website.

Cons

I cannot input a custom note to the customer. I have to have too much info to run a credit card such as billing address. This is very cumbersome. I need to have a credit card swipe to bypass having to key in a lot more info. I have asked customer service about this and they say someone will call to discuss but that has never happened

Shopify

Reasons for Choosing Stripe Billing

needed ecommerce plus point of sale solution that was all in one, not one service for ecommerce billing and one for in person point of sale billing

Womply and Square Payments

Reasons for Switching to Stripe Billing

Shopify is expensive and bills per transaction as well as a percentage of sale
Caitlin M.
  • Industry: Consumer Services

Tricky to navigate interface but a better business option than PayPal

Reviewed on 2019-10-12

Pros

It is more reliable than PayPal for business use. I haven't had any account freezes yet (which had become an issue with PayPal).

Cons

The user experience could definitely use some work. The interface is a little tricky to navigate.

Chika R.

Stripe Review

Reviewed on 2021-05-29

Stripe is a fantastic online-only credit card processor with reasonable processing rates and little hidden fees. Businesses with developers that can create a custom online e-commerce experience would benefit from the free and straightforward API. Businesses with limited technological resources will be forced to pay extra for an e-commerce solution.

Pros

Stripe is very straight forward when it comes to making online payments. Stripe charges a flat fee for accepting online credit card payments. The company has excellent developer tools, predictable flat-rate pricing, advanced reporting tools, integrates properly with Xero accounting software. excellent marketplace tools, exceptional subscription tools, multi-currency support and its ideal for international merchants. Stripe offers secure transactions, easy to use reporting features and consistent service.

Cons

It’s UI could be improved. There isn't a clear breakdown of fees when it comes to volume discounts. There is no automatic tax assistance. This is the most important one for us. Stripe allows you to define tax rates for customers that need to process complex tax scenarios like collecting VAT or GST, but your software team must build out the infrastructure to support appropriate collection. In the future, I hope Stripe improves its built-in tax support.

Shanda E.
  • Industry: Consumer Services
  • Used for 6-12 months

Easy to Use and Customize

Reviewed on 2021-06-30

It's the best alternative to PayPal I've found. It costs almost exactly the same and has none of the headaches (in my personal experience, anyway). Highly recommended!

Pros

I think it's great that this software allows you to create and customise a wide variety of invoice types - It takes a lot of the maths out and gives me less room for small mistakes that can really add up.

Cons

While I do understand the pricing model, I wish that there was a flat rate to use it instead of essentially charging exactly what PayPal does.

Craig B.
  • Industry: Legal Services

• Customer Support Software

The best way to collect subscription fees!

Reviewed on 2019-09-10

I used stripe to handle a high volume of daily subscription charges and could not be happier with my experience!

Pros

Stripe is the most reliable subscription billing service in the game. If you have lots of subscriptions that you need charged / processed, then make sure to use stripe because they will make your processes simple, customized, and most importantly secure

Cons

I do wish that, if and when a credit card does not process through because of human error entering info wrong, all the card would not disappear. This is likely a security measure, however would make the user experience better.

Rachel S.
  • Industry: Accounting Software

Stripe usage

Reviewed on 2019-09-21

Pros

We use Stripe billing everyday to process payments, and handle disputes.

Cons

One thing I do not like about this program is when it comes to our disputes. If we are to lose a dispute, we do not receive information as too why. It would be extremely helpful and beneficial to our company if we knew that information for future disputes etc.

Caryn C.

Mostly good, couple of mini issues

Reviewed on 2021-08-19

Pros

I like that for the most part, I don't have any issues with processing payments.

Cons

No ability to issue partial refunds is a bit frustrating at times.

Matt H.

Great product to do reoccurring payments

Reviewed on 2020-06-24

Pros

This software is great for setting up payment plans and reoccurring payments, it will collect payment and send the client an invoice

Cons

The only bit about this software that is frustrating is that it takes a while for the money to arrive in your bank.

Sandra B.

Excellent and Easy

Reviewed on 2021-09-24

Pros

I like that they send tax statements often, and logging in and navigating their system is incredbily easy.

Cons

There was quite a lag in payment delivered, but they have recently fixed this.

Neil A.

• Customer Support Software

Easy to integrate, powerful features

Reviewed on 2019-02-05

Pros

Very easy to set up and a suite of powerful features.

Cons

Less advanced features than some subscription management platforms, but then much much lower costs too.

Easiest, developer-friendly subscription solution

Reviewed on 2019-12-29

Stripe Billing powers our consumer subscription backend, and is an integral tool for us as we scale to more customers.

Pros

Stripe has been working on a solid subscription API for years, and their continued investment into Billing has been super helpful for us - we can easily set up a wide variety of one-time, recurring, and multi-plan subscriptions for our customers.

Cons

Very small nit, but when they first rolled out the product, pricing for existing customers was initially unclear, but the team immediately addressed that.

Alessandro F.
  • Industry: Entertainment

Great payment tool

Reviewed on 2019-03-19

Pros

Convenient way to accept payments worldwide at a fraction of what requested by other platforms

Cons

No issues. Integration was smooth and Stripe never created any issue with payments

• Customer Support Software

The best payment processor out there

Reviewed on 2019-09-24

Accepting payments is a breeze with Stripe. PCI compliance and 3DS2 / SCA is simply not an issue with Stripe

Pros

Stripe is just the best tool for accepting payments. Integration is super-easy, with powerful and well-documented API. Stripe is de-facto the standard when it comes to accepting payments online

Cons

Lack of support for PayPal payments is the only issue that we've seen. Apart from that, Stripe is super-reliable and very developer-friendly