VerticalResponse

Email Marketing Software

3.9 /5 (55 reviews) Write a Review!
3.9
4.2
3.6
3.9
Industry: Airlines/Aviation

Work Arounds

Reviewed on 2018-12-27

Pros

It sends emails to who I want them to be sent to.

Uploading contacts is easy.

Cons

If you've used another email marketing tool, you'll hate Vertical Response.

First, you'll probably lose half your opens due to their emails getting stuck in spam folders.

Second, in order to make your emails look as good as, a constant contact or mail chimp email, you better have some photoshop skills. I've had to upload entire sections of emails as images, because Vertical Response fights you every step of the way if you want to do any formatting or customization.

Third, there's no garuntee your email will show up the way you intended. I've had three different people send me screenshots of three different formats of the same email. Again, if you want to make sure it's the way you want it, draft it up in photoshop and save the whole thing as an image.

I hate Vertical Response. It makes my job more difficult and forces me to spend triple the time I normally would to make a decent email.

Constant Contact and Mail Chimp are way better.

Likelihood to recommend: 1.0/10

Emily S.

Some features are frustrating

Reviewed on 2019-04-24

We use it weekly to send emails to our church community. I use it monthly to send an update to our partners.

Pros

I like that you can track reader engagement to see how many open the email and how many clicked on something.

Cons

I don't like that it doesn't have your emails automatically, and if someone unsubscribes they cannot be added back in even if they want to be.

Sierra H.
Industry: Photography
Company size: Self Employed

Good value for mass emailing

Reviewed on 2019-02-24

It's a good value and once you have a template you like it works well.

Pros

This is a very affordable solution for sending mass emails. The templates are also very helpful especially if the emails you plan to send are all the same format.

Cons

It is difficult to rearrange photo and text boxes.

Francis L.
Industry: Glass, Ceramics & Concrete

The Vertical Response Business Application

Reviewed on 2019-01-21

it saves times creating responsive email for business people, very engaging and does deliver the right approach to business needs

Pros

time saving application for business use

Cons

it create easy business responsive email

Yan F.
Industry: Management Consulting

I've used Vertical Response for about two years.

Used Monthly for 1+ year
Reviewed on 2018-02-22

Excellent community.

Pros

Vertical Response is a pioneer in email marketing and they had a very good community of marketers. I've learned a ton from them and the software was decent. Also the monthly newsletter "What's the topic, Popick" was interesting and useful.

Cons

I couldn't top up my account and Customer Service was useless. I just couldn't used their software. I'm sure that now situation changed.

Likelihood to recommend: 7.0/10

Enrique F.

Rating only

Reviewed on 2016-03-20
April H.
Industry: Financial Services

Very helpful for a small non profit!

Used Monthly for 1+ year
Reviewed on 2018-07-23

Pros

I love their new update! Being able to send the follow up email at a later date is so awesome. I can set it for 30 days and then not worry about forgetting.

Cons

The reporting options on the survey results needs some work. I would like to see percentages for each answer.

Alyssa S.

Easy to Use!

Reviewed on 2016-12-14

Great e-mail marketing tool that is easy to use and great design features. It allows me to personalize everything and really make a statement with my e-mails.

Gregg B.
Industry: Religious Institutions

Great looking e-newsletters!

Reviewed on 2019-03-01

There are a lot of email campaign tools out there and VerticalResponse is one of the best I've encountered for managing and scheduling e-newsletter distribution at a reasonable cost.

Pros

With VerticalResponse I was able to go from a spreadsheet of member names and email addresses to send my first e-newsletter in less than an hour. Easy to use templates guide content creation and offers flexible scheduling options that include social media posting. List management lets subscribers opt in and out without manual intervention and includes tools to build landing pages and links for subscription. Simple reporting is included in the free system and shows delivery/open rates. Advanced reporting allows a deeper dive into the analytics of your mail campaigns.

Cons

I sometimes wish the content blocks used to build the e-newsletter were a little more configurable - such as allowing more free movement of images and better font management - but the system makes clean looking e-newsletter that are actually opened and read!

Easy To Use

Reviewed on 2019-02-10

My overall experience has been great. Outside of a few emails being blocked. But, that means the system was being protective and allowed us an opportunity to do additional cleaning of our lists.

Pros

What I like most about Vertical Response is that it's really easy to use. Once my contacts were imported, we were up and running. They offer many templates that can be used for various types of emails and eblasts. The entire process is simple and you can easily track how your emails are performing. They offer a lot of value for the price.

Cons

What I like least about Vertical Response is that the platform is limited. It's great for a startup business, but when your needs start to get more complex as your list grows, there's not much room for growth with appropriate features to match. Additionally, the features to allow new subscribers to your lists from outside sources were a challenge and didn't always work.

Likelihood to recommend: 7.0/10

Ben M.
Industry: Transportation/Trucking/Railroad

Longtime user, might not be the best option anymore

Used Other for 2+ years
Reviewed on 2020-03-18

On the whole it does what I need it to, but I always contemplate searching out something cooler.

Pros

For the money, it gets the job done. We use VR to send out corporate newsletters and special offers a half dozen times a year.

Cons

I think the interface is lacking and really hasn’t been vastly improved since 2008 when I started using it. Basically, I’ve built my own HTML templates outside of VR and I just change copy and pictures as I need to and avoid using VRs WYSIWYG editor. Their editor and stock templates really aren’t very good.

Jennifer D.
Industry: Education Management

Frequent Formatting Issues

Used Other for 2+ years
Reviewed on 2021-01-19

Overall, with the formatting issues, it became too frustrating to use and work with. I spent more time trying to fix errors. We found a free option that worked far better for our needs.

Pros

Overall, it was easy to build a professional-looking email. There are a lot of features to make it look cohesive and on-brand with the font and color customizations. You can send to a segmented list or to a larger audience. You don't need coding experience and it's intuitive enough for an everyday user to figure out. It is responsive for viewing on laptop or mobile. Emails can be posted on social.

Cons

We ran into a lot of formatting issues that couldn't be explained or corrected. For example, in the final email, text was showing up purple, even though it was formatted as black. We would double-check everything, but in the final email, one paragraph would be purple. This happened multiple times and we finally had to switch. It was also sometimes adjust the font size to a different size than we originally had.

Chris S.

A Diamond in the rough!

Reviewed on 2019-02-01

I love Vertical Response. It makes it easy to time, share, send marketing campaigns across digital platforms and does so at an incredible price. (With a great incentive for non-profits!)

Pros

I love this software as it gives me the ability to send high-quality HTML e-mails to our groups. The design tools are nice and easy to use. It makes our marketing campaigns look great for a great price.

Cons

If you do not know about CSV documents it can be hard to upload lists and files to the server. A quick tutorial eases this problem.

Lindsay K.
Industry: Religious Institutions

Emails look good, but people don't see them.

Reviewed on 2016-12-21

Creating an email and sending it is super easy! The challenge is that our recipients, who have asked to receive the emails, have to search through their junk or clutter or trash email folders to find the emails. It is really hard to receive emails from Vertical response. When I first started receiving emails from our organization, I had to search for the email and move the email from junk to important multiple times. As an organization, we have actually stopped using vertical response, because it is not a good way to communicate with our recipients. It would be great if they could receive the emails and not have to search for them.

Pros

Super easy to use! Great templates help you create fabulous looking emails.

Cons

Our recipients don't get the emails. We have checked to ensure info is correct. If they can find the email in their junk folder, they will interact with the email, click on links, but still the next an email comes it will still go to their spam or clutter folder.

Likelihood to recommend: 3.0/10

Jackie D.

Vertical Response

Reviewed on 2020-07-21

Our experience has been good. There is an ability to send out large audience emails for free- at least once a month- the free program offers more mailings than the Mailchimp that we use for our daily messages. We save vertical response to mail out to over 3000 donors.

Pros

There are several templates for you to pick an exiting design and personalize it.

Cons

You can't attach a file- you have to put it within the template and I prefer doing newsletters outside of the platform and attaching as a PDF
I would like them to add more templates for animal rescue

Lea N.

Email Campaign Designer

Used Other for 6-12 months
Reviewed on 2018-05-14

Pros

VerticalResponse allows you to create email campaigns and easily distribute them to your contacts and distribution lists.

Cons

Unfortunately, VerticalResponse's interface is a bit dated and very clunky. Compared to other options on the market, it is not as intuitive or user-friendly.

Jeff L.
Industry: Sports

We are a non-profit and using this for mass mailing has been helpful.

Used Monthly for 6-12 months
Reviewed on 2017-08-15

It was a free service and enabled us to reach our membership with news and announcements.

Pros

The capability to make custom emails using a multitude of possible templates. Having the capability to import contacts and examine the the open rates and follow the effectiveness of any email campaign. Being a non-profit we were able to use the free version.

Cons

Sometimes the emails got caught in the receivers SPAM or so we think because many emails were not opened and we received responses or comments from our membership that they did not receive the emails that were sent.

Ramesh Q.

Awesome Support

Reviewed on 2017-02-23

With it's robust feature set, Vertical Response can overwhelm a first time user. However, Vertical Response integrates seamlessly with social media and CRM software to provide a comprehensive email marketing platform. In addition, Vertical Response now offers a free trial to test their email marketing service before committing to paid options.

Dean M.
Industry: Computer & Network Security

VerticalResponse Review

Used Other for 6-12 months
Reviewed on 2018-09-30

Overall, it was a valuable learning curve for my organization!

Pros

This software gets the job done. The best features is most likely the reporting visualizations.

Cons

The deliverability with a lot of organizations was extremely low, and I thought the pricing was pretty high in relation.

Hiro T.
Industry: Restaurants

Using the free one

Reviewed on 2020-10-09
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Pros

For beginner, it is easy to use. Fast and has plenty templates that you can use.
It has few integrations with free CMS. API is great.
Free with limited user. Few email providers will block their email blast.

Cons

The limited user are so little.
The integration needs improvement. Lack of automatization and reports. No apps for the phones, so you must do it in your computer.
Support is not helpful and less attentive, maybe because I am using free edition.

Industry: Business Supplies & Equipment

Vertical Response - Free, but you get what you pay for.

Reviewed on 2020-07-23

We use Vertical Response to communicate with groups of members of our non-profit organization, and to survey them on various questions relating to our mission. Without Vertical Response it would be much more cumbersome to conduct surveys as we'd have to use a combination of software (Survey Monkey, Excel, etc.) and we wouldn't have the option to automatically follow up to nonresponders.

Pros

Vertical Response allows us to easily email and survey our membership groups. I like the variety of survey types, and the automatic follow-up emails to non-responders.

Cons

The email editing is relatively simple, but can be confusing in its simplicity because things you might expect to be in the editing menu aren't necessarily where you'd expect. For example, you want to add a hyperlink to a website - in most software you could either just paste the URL, or right click on a word or phrase and add the hyperlink to it - but in VerticalResponse a pasted URL is emailed out as unclickable text. You have to add a button to add a hyperlink. Also for some reason the default font color for emails is a medium gray instead of black, so every email I have to select and change the font color.

Industry: Health, Wellness & Fitness
Company size: 501-1,000 Employees

Great way to communicate with a large amount of people

Reviewed on 2019-04-23

I am able to communicate different types of information to many people in a minute or less!

Pros

Vertical Response has great customization features to be able to group users to send various types of communication. It is an inexpensive (free for most) way to communicate with a large amount of people.

Cons

I have not had any issues with it so far.

Industry: Gambling & Casinos

A decent way to get in touch with your customers

Reviewed on 2018-12-19

The price is a bit higher than some of the alternatives, but it makes sending to your email contacts easy without the need for any special software

Pros

Simple to use to send to your customers all from a web interface

Cons

Hard to get support when you need it, things take a long time and sometimes it can impede your workflow.

Ron S.
Industry: Education Management

Software becoming dated

Reviewed on 2019-07-18

Pros

Relatively easy to create email template, upload list and send email campaign

Cons

Reporting functionality very limited and not user friendly.

Likelihood to recommend: 2.0/10

Alex L.

Hard to Use, Better Alternatives Available

Reviewed on 2016-12-08

We used VR for a couple months but were not happy with the reporting features. We were also hoping for A/B testing abilities in order to see which email subject lines, from lines, etc would perform better to our customer lists.