Nowsta

Workforce management tool to handle payroll & work shifts

4.7/5
Customer Support Software

Mary Jo "MJ"
Mary Jo "MJ"

• Customer Support Software

Easy to use, cuts staffing time in half, great customer support and overall highly recommended.

Reviewed on 2018-07-09

Pros

Nowsta is a staffing platform that was created especially for the Catering & Event Industry. They did their research on what was needed and that comes full circle as you use it daily. On top of having great Customer Support and response time to questions, issues, concerns or suggestions, Nowsta provides a streamlined staffing software that is easy to use for all. Our response times are cut in half and we have more immediate feedback if a staff member is going to accept the shift or not. The Time & Attendance feature is super simple to approve times and notice and discrepancies. I would highly recommend.

Cons

Currently, the only thing I wish I had with this software. I have is having to log into the web application as a Coordinator and not having access through the app for making day of/on-site changes to staff, but this is a rare need for us and easy to use the web version from a phone internet browser.

David

• Customer Support Software

Intuitive scheduling for catering events

Reviewed on 2019-09-28

We are saving 1-2 hrs per week making the schedule and at least 10 hrs a week of admin time that used to be spent texting, calling etc. Now it's all centralized with more control delegated to captains, etc.

Pros

Great customer support team with active development on a best in class platform with a solid codebase to support future iterations.
App recently modernized and continued improvements in reporting allow for oversight and quantitative analysis

Cons

Doesn't include payroll, but it syncs with many others! Only real con I can think of

7shifts, Humanity, Event Staff App and QuickBooks Time

Reasons for Choosing Nowsta

Nowsta is built for the events industry. Nothing else comes close

QuickBooks Time

Reasons for Switching to Nowsta

It does what it does the best of any. Others can't even comprehend what an event is.
Ranita
  • Industry: Consumer Services

easy to excess

Reviewed on 2021-12-03

Using for 5 months, feeling comfortable and get information about report, time & attendance.

Pros

making labor report everyday by using Nowsta app

Cons

Time & Attending for clock in-clock out by mobile excess

Gavin

JP Fine Foods Review

Reviewed on 2023-11-06

From the start the people we worked with have been great. The ease of using the system has been the best part.

Pros

The ease of use is what most appealed to me. We also like that it can updated from our catering platform without having to go back and forth between Nowsta and our catering software.

Cons

Being that we are in Canada is would be great to have the payroll report available with our tax structure and be able to calculate the stat pay owed.

Michael

Game changer

Reviewed on 2019-07-15

Great! From when we were first introduced to Nowsta through now, it has been a GREAT experience.

Pros

The Nowsta software provides such an easy way to communicate with staff. Scheduling offsite events is about communication. Nowsta provides a platform where everyone can speak the same language when scheduling or receiving a schedule.

Cons

Hard to think about what I don't like. As soon as there is something that seems off the engineers are on it

UKG Ready

Reasons for Choosing Nowsta

The Ready Set Work software was dying more than it was growing. Nowsta's progressive approach to understanding a caterers needs seemed custom fit to what we were looking for in scheduling software.

Reasons for Switching to Nowsta

The final decision was based on ease of use and its custom ability to schedule to an event rather than an individual.
Cameron

• Customer Support Software

A world of difference, leagues beyond the next in line.

Reviewed on 2021-03-02

The employees can see exactly how lucrative shifts are, and easily sign up for shifts. Requesting staff is so simple, and scheduling them is even simpler. I can't say enough good things about the ease of access.

Pros

The accessibility is so optimized, it takes only two minutes to get someone up to speed on how to use it. The metrics it tracks, and volume of information readily available to both employees and admins is second to none.

Cons

The live-update features occasionally don't work, and you'll need to reload to see changes. It's not a big issue, it's just that they occasionally do work, so you usually just need to refresh to make sure.

Marina

Seamless from Scheduling to Time and Attendance

Reviewed on 2022-01-22

Nowsta has saved us a lot of time scheduling staff and exporting the time and attendance data for payroll.

Pros

We like the time clock app that our managers can download to clock in our staff anywhere. The ease of requesting staff, sending messages, etc. through the platform is great.

Cons

We are eagerly awaiting a way for our staff to communicate back to us through the app. Currently, it is only one-way messaging outward.

Brian

Tailor-made for the industry

Reviewed on 2022-05-05

Super easy to use. Intuitive interface.

Super easy to use. Intuitive interface.

Pros

This was exactly the solution we were looking for. As a caterer with multiple locations (including new ones), different size/time/types of events, Nowsta allows the flexibility needed while communicating the way our team wants to communicate.

Cons

We love it! Support is always listening for new feature suggestions.

Celayix

Reasons for Switching to Nowsta

Celayix felt dated and wasn't built with the flexibility we needed for different sites/times/staffing models.
Sarah

• Customer Support Software

Smooth Transition and easy to use!

Reviewed on 2020-03-04

From the initial conversation, to the implementation, I have been fully on board! I'm excited to know they are constantly working on how to make the software as useful as possible and I'm not sure how our company went so long with out it!

Pros

This software is so user friendly! We have a VERY wide range of employees that range from savvy to beginner in the tech department. The transition to this app/website was seamless for everyone involved. I love how you can compartmentalize almost every aspect of information on both the administrative side as well as the user side. It takes me less than 1 minute to create an event, and about the same for our employees to choose whether or not they are able to work. It's great from start to finish!
I also love that employees can choose how they receive notifications. Very customizable to how they use their phones.

Cons

The biggest thing I wish this software had was an app from the admin side. Although the browser is esthetically pleasing, I would like to get push notifications as the administrator.

Shelby

Nowsta Review

Reviewed on 2019-10-09

Pros

It’s super easy to use and there are (so far) no glitches. The last thing you want is a program messing up mid scheduling. I love being able to rate employees and it’s super easy for my staff to see all the details of the shifts they’re working. It also reminds them to show up 2 hours prior!

Cons

Nothing so far. Obviously it’s constantly updating which can be a pain but it’s worth it to have a nice easy to use software

Rosemary

Great Software

Reviewed on 2021-10-08

Really good!

Really good!

Pros

Scheduling, worker profiles and availability

Cons

I'd like to be able to print out a user friendly format for reviewing staff performance based on event notes and staff notes

Cameron

• Customer Support Software

Nowsta has been GREAT for our company

Reviewed on 2023-10-11

Nowsta has helped us streamline staffing for our events and allowed us to focus on building the best teams for our clients. Through Nowsta's many features, we're able to manage and communicate better with our clients and our staff, creating better and stronger events teams all around.

Pros

We love the accessibility and ease of use for each of our team members. Our staff consists of young and old, and everyone seems to understand how to use the app. Getting updated that everyone has clocked in is a great feature, especially when you're running a lot of events daily. The reminders that you have a shift coming up when you're 3 days out, and then again 3 hours out are great too! Lastly, we love being able to see the last time a staff member logged into the app, this helps us manage the teams more accurately.

Cons

We struggle most with the clock in/out feature. It's likely a user error, but we get the most complaints about this feature. When it does work, it's great!

Lisa

I've threatened to quit if I can't have Nowsta

Reviewed on 2023-05-15

I was with another company before the pandemic in the same role, and used Nowsta there. So I pushed hard to get it at my new job, and it has made scaling up our post-pandemic operations much easier. I've also found that the Nowsta gnomes are great about integrating feedback and working out new features.

Pros

I love how fast I can work with Nowsta--building events, assigning staff, sending out information, moving people around from event to event, duplicating events, attaching pdfs with information that my teams will need. The mobile app is much easier for my team to use than our old system. The different kinds of reports I can generate are useful. And it's fun, compared to the alternatives I've worked with or researched. Other products may have the same functionality, but are harder to navigate or require more keystrokes to do basic things. Nowsta is responsive, robust, and clear.

Cons

Our one big challenge is that Nowsta can't export to the .iif format that our particular version of QuickBooks needs, and we're still looking for a workaround. But it works with a lot of other systems, our experience shouldn't put you off.

Tammy

We Love Nowsta

Reviewed on 2023-05-12

Nowsta has been very beneficial in saving time scheduling staffing and keeping track of staffing as per event.

Pros

We love how easy it is to assign team members to events and how easy it is for team members to accept or decline, based on their personal schedules. We love how Nowsta integrates with our Curate software! We appreciate all of the information that we are able to plug-into each event!

Cons

We do not at all appreciate that Nowsta does not offer any phone support whatsoever. Nowsta is impossible to integrate with ADP and this is a huge disappointment, as had been told that this would be an easy process. We are having to hire yet another software in order to run our payroll, again a huge disappointment, because we were hoping that using Nowsta would streamline our payroll process.

Response from Nowsta

Hello Tammy,
We do offer custom payroll files that will import directly into ADP. Please contact us at [email protected] and we can assist you in getting this set up.

Jennifer
  • Industry: Entertainment

Best Entertainment Crewing Software

Reviewed on 2022-02-19

This software allows us work with an ever-changing employee pool to staff entertainment events. It is easy to set-up events, add employees to shifts, and be able to customize most aspects of the crewing process to meet our client's needs. It is also very convenient to have timesheets and employee attendance integrated in the same software as our calendar and crewing.

Pros

Nowsta is great for real-time staffing, planning upcoming events for clients, and for tracking attendance and employee times. I've worked with several different software packages over the past 5 years, and this is the one that I'm going to stick with because it does everything I need it to in a user-friendly way.

Cons

I would like to be able to add a little more customization to employee pay rates (not only by position, but by client as well). It would also be helpful to be able to customize overtime rules a little more.

Response from Nowsta

Hi Jennifer,
Just following up here to let you know that you can create custom pay rates on a per client basis.
Here is a link to an article that explains how to set these up.
If you have any questions - please let us know at [email protected]

William

• Customer Support Software

Nowsta makes us a force to recon with in our industry

Reviewed on 2023-06-09

I am very happy with the way everything has been going and plan to use the Nowsta app until I retire

Pros

I love both the desktop in the mobile app. Thanks to Nowsta we have a very easy time communicating with our staff in real time.

Cons

Just like any other sort of technology today it takes a little getting used to. We were coming from an antiquated system to something fresh and new, but the team walked us through everything step-by-step, and make sure that we understand every aspect of the app..

Brian

• Customer Support Software

Great product makes my life easier

Reviewed on 2019-08-08

Doing payroll used to take me anywhere from 1-6 hours depending on how busy we were and how many people were working. After we switched to Nowsta, I usually have payroll done in 30 minutes. We do schedules on a weekly basis and I used to have to do the schedule in Excel, then change it to a PDF and then email it to all the staff along with where they were meeting for events. It took me forever to do. With Nowsta, everything is right in the app and it cuts the time in half. Also, with people being able to punch in from their phones, there is no longer paper needed. All of the staff is very helpful and quick to get back to you if you reach out to them.

Pros

Nowsta cuts my scheduling time at least in half. It also takes me a quarter of the time to do payroll. Easier for employees to punch in and out.

Cons

Some issues with the app freezing. People with android have had issues using the app. There is no way for staff members to put in extended periods of time off in the app (vacatin or PTO or what not)

Evan

The Apple of Scheduling Platforms

Reviewed on 2020-03-11

Wonderful team of staff - they always want to know feedback and will call action to issues swiftly. Nowsta is always updating with new features. I have used several staffing platforms over the years and Nowsta is by far my favorite.

Pros

Very fluid platform. Easily integrates with our other necessary systems that make staffing, scheduling, and back end work very seamless.

Cons

Loading time takes a bit sometimes. Nothing else.

Eric
  • Industry: Security & Investigations

Using Nowsta for Security

Reviewed on 2021-11-16

I used Nowsta in my previous role as Director of Operations for a catering company, and am now using it in the special event space for the security industry. The types of employees and scheduling utilized in each industry are vastly different, but Nowsta has been a great tool in both spaces. Particularly for security, the app allows me to assemble a vast pool of potential workers for irregularly scheduled events, greatly increasing my ability to ensure appropriate staffing levels.

Pros

Nowsta is extremely easy to set up and use. The interface for the administrator is effective, while the app and interactions with the users make it easy for them to stay current with scheduling. The customization options for roles and permissions provide a high level of precision in accomplishing specific goals.

Cons

I would like to see the ability to categorize groups of positions together with one click, to save the time of clicking each individually for each employee. I would also like to be able to edit email addresses in the system in the cases where I have made a typo or the employee is locked out of their email account.

Monica

Makes my job easy

Reviewed on 2023-08-05

Great was first a user and found it very beneficial and now the administrator and it is essential

Pros

Nowsta is essential in Staffing our events. Provides easy communication tools.

Cons

Custom reports and scheduled reports would help automate processes and keep groups in the know. And reporting for published shifts replies (nowsta tells me that someone declined direct requests, would be nice to know about published ones too when Staffing various shifts and events in a day)

Heather

• Customer Support Software

Nowsta has made everything easier

Reviewed on 2019-10-24

I used to spend two days doing our payroll because the staffing software we used to use wouldn't integrate with our payroll. Nowsta has made payroll and shift management so much easier and their customer service reps are always more than happy to jump in and help me if I (or our staff) ever have an issue. I can't thank them enough!

Pros

Being able to attach documents for each event has been a game-changer for our staff!

Cons

Some of the hiccups with using the timeclock were a bit frustrating (some days it worked fine but then for no reason, it wouldn't). The new update to the software has definitely improved this process!

Jonathan

• Customer Support Software

Catering Company Loves Nowsta!

Reviewed on 2021-07-08

Pros

I really like the ease of use and how well it integrated with our other programs. It saves me a lot of time. A lot!

Cons

One improvement I could recommend would be to have a system of ranking staff and scheduling based on rank rather than having to create different staff titles to do this.

Emily

• Customer Support Software

Great time saving software!

Reviewed on 2022-07-06

Overall, Nowsta is a great tool when it comes to our scheduling, event organization, and employee management. We are very thankful for the time it saves us and for the straightforward approach Nowsta has with all users.

Pros

So many elements of Nowsta work great! The easy-to-view calendar of events, the list of workers that populates quickly, the list of scheduled shifts, and all of the easy-to-navigate features really save us time in the Human Resources office!

Cons

Nothing specifically on the administrator level needs improvement. For mobile navigation on behalf of the employees, maybe an easier layout is needed, but I am unfamiliar with mobile navigation.

Jane

Game-Changer!

Reviewed on 2020-09-04

As the HR Manager I use Nowsta daily to reconcile timekeeping, confirm current and previous employee scheduling, access data for reporting to local and state governments, and availability of information via the freeform Incident Entry. Our Ops Director loves the ease of forecasting and entering scheduling details and the seamless way it communicates to our staff.

Pros

Easy access and use of employee and event details and scheduling. Not a bunch of superfluous, irrelevant data - everything I need is at my fingertips.

Cons

I wish there was a free-form text to add to the employee name with info such as their badge number that would populate on the Timesheet. Other than that I love everything about this software!

Linda

• Customer Support Software

Essential to our business!

Reviewed on 2021-11-17

10/10! We recommend Nowsta to so many of our colleagues!

10/10! We recommend Nowsta to so many of our colleagues!

Pros

We love how easy Nowsta is to use, not only on an administrative end but for our employees as well!

As a full service off-premise catering company, we use Nowsta to build events into our calendar, staff, track hours and attendance, share details about each event. We can sometimes have multiple events in a day, and it is easy to keep information organized with Nowsta. We have even been able to staff last minute call outs with the push of a button! So handy!

Cons

No cons about Nowsta, we really love it!