Sigma Computing

Collaborative business intelligence and data analytics tool

4.6/5
3.9/5
3.9/5
Customer Support Software
4.7/5

Joseph B.
  • Industry: Financial Services Software

• Customer Support Software

Great model for rapidly evolving analytics

Reviewed on 2020-09-24

Sigma is the fastest and easiest BI tool to deploy. Iteration on the semantic layer is a cinch.

Sigma is a delight to work with as a vendor. Their support is superbly responsive (during business hours - they don't have global timezone coverage yet).

Sigma's pricing model is reasonable and very friendly to orgs where 80+% of the employees need live data access.

Pros

Sigma has the right model.

From the user perspective, the columnar formula editing feels familiar enough, and the learning curve is friendly to anyone with spreadsheet experience.

From an architect perspective, the semantic layer is lightweight and easy to adapt to ever-changing schemas. The UI covers most of the functionality you'll want, and for everything else you can fall back on writing your own code, like cron strings or SQL queries. I let Sigma do probably 95% of my querying, leaving the gnarliest 5% for me to write in their SQL runner.

I do a significant amount of lightweight ELT work in Sigma as well. I like being able to write massive views that I know I'm going to have to update often, and just like Snowflake / Sigma materialize them for me. When I use Sigma to query S3 directly in the SQL runner - usually to POC some new data that hasn't made its way out to the business teams yet - this functionality is really convenient because those queries are not efficient. I just need to get new data in front of the business as quickly as possible.

Cons

Visual discovery is lacking when compared to mature tools like Tableau. Sigma needs to continue chipping away at the Tableau features around dashboarding and charting.

Michell B.

• Customer Support Software

Good price, needs more features

Reviewed on 2019-07-18

This has been a net positive for our org.

Pros

Sigma allows viewers for free, even viewers from outside your organization.

Cons

The dashboard feature is not fully built out - many features seem to be missing. For example, I can't put percents on a pie chart.

Looker, QlikView and Tableau

Reasons for Choosing Sigma Computing

Price. Chartio charged for viewers, Sigma did not.

Chartio
Sean P.

Revolutionary Data Tool

Reviewed on 2019-07-08

The most significant impact of Sigma has been exposing data to so many people around the business who would otherwise have had to go through the data team bottleneck, both slowing their access to data and limiting the explorability and agility of the results. However, this can be accomplished in a controlled manner with Sigma, ensuring that stakeholders only have access to vetted sources of truth procured by the data team.

Pros

- ability to explore and inspect the source data and perform sophisticated SQL functions via GUI (group, join, aggregate, etc.)
- ability to create single source of truth worksheets and build all related content off of that, instead of reinventing the wheel with every new query
- unlimited reader accounts allows usage to really take off and flourish instead of hamstringing itself

Cons

- pricing still unclear as to what constitutes an author vs a reader - based on recent conversations with Sigma I'm afraid that we are going to be upcharged on items that were never made clear to us (I am still unclear)
- new software still has its share of bugs

Krystyna S.

Highly recommended!

Reviewed on 2020-05-13

Excellent! I use it on the daily.

Pros

It's easy to use and straight forward. I'm not not only handling reports for my team but for multiple departments as well.

Cons

I'm still learning the depths but it's one of the best programs that I've had the opportunity to use. I would say the only thing that can be annoying, is the load speed. Sometimes my tables and dashboards time out.

Drake M.

Simple Yet Powerful

Reviewed on 2020-09-15

Pros

Sigma presents data in a format users already understand... a spreadsheet. The result is a BI tool that is much less intimidating than alternatives because it doesn't force users to learn a new query language.

Cons

While the basic functionality is actually pretty easy to use, some of the features are hard to find, or not that intuitive especially around formulas or more advanced features.

Yuting K.

• Customer Support Software

Good BI for basic data visualization

Reviewed on 2019-07-18

Pros

1. excel like so it's easy to pick up
2. can connect to the live database and without writing SQL query
3. can share the worksheet and schedule to send out the worksheet via email

Cons

1. it's not easy to use if you want to do a complicated report: once you aggregate multiple worksheets / refer other worksheet and apply multiple filters, it's hard to verify your result and make it in the correct format.
2. the articles to discuss the Sigma features or best practice are not comprehensive.

Eric K.

Good platform with potential

Reviewed on 2019-06-26

I like the trajectory the company is heading, and would recommend depending on fit to objective.

Pros

Sigma is a dynamic and agile system, helping us remove the use of Excel for day-to-day calculations. Their team is supportive and hands-on, which is probably the best part of the company.

Cons

Still very basic and could stand to invest further into UI.

Caroline M.

Sigma for Usage Reports

Reviewed on 2019-07-03

We are using sigma to pull usage data from our customer base. We rely heavily on this data in order to measure the value that the customers are getting from Yesware, identify churn risks and areas for adoption. Without Sigma, I would not be able to do my job to the best of my ability.

Pros

Access directly from the browser, quickly pulls the results I need

Cons

Sometimes it is difficult to sift through the different dashboards - this could be an internal issue

Heather C.
  • Industry: Consumer Goods

Great for comprehensive reporting

Reviewed on 2019-06-27

Pros

As a marketer, Sigma is an incredibly valuable tool that allows my team to aggregate data to inform our decisions and scale up. I like the ability to drill app activity down to the user level in order to identify trends and specific user behaviors.

Cons

It can be very overwhelming! Not instantly intuitive but not hard to learn either. My biggest complaint is that it was often very slow.

Yanwu Z.

• Customer Support Software

Great tool without sql requirements

Reviewed on 2020-12-08

We use this tool to send dashboards and reports to external clients.

Pros

This tool is very easy to set up and very intuitive for end users. Sql knowledge is not necessary, but Sigma offers the option of writing SQL statement to generate data set. The queries is sent back to cloud to execute which make Sigma allow you to quickly query vast amounts of data.

The row level data security allows us to distribute the same dashboards to different clients and each client only can see their own data.

Cons

I only use this product in a short time period and have not found anything I dislike.

• Industry: Capital Markets

• Customer Support Software

Great tool our needs - fast and easy navigation of snowflake data, quick reporting, data...

Reviewed on 2020-05-13

Pros

Easy and intuitive user interface. Licensing is for creators, viewer usage unlimited. Visual designer for lookups and joins. Fast learning curve for non technical users. Team is super responsive. Works very well with snowflake.

Cons

Not a tableau/power bi replacement, some features still immature

Blake T.
  • Industry: Transportation/Trucking/Railroad

A vast improvement over our previous product

Reviewed on 2019-07-03

Using Sigma as a tool to prioritize asset service and inspection has been a game changer. Much better visualization tools than the competitor's product we previously used.

Pros

It is much faster and easier to read than our old reporting software

Cons

I would like the ability to modify the sort on the fly. Currently an admin has to adjust it, if it is needed

Daniel D.

Sigma Review

Reviewed on 2020-12-08

Sigma was very easy to setup, integrate, configure and use with our existing data stack. It was very easy to onboard end users and get them productive quickly.

Pros

The ability to easily and conditionally schedule report exports in multiple formats targeted towards our business users.

Cons

I haven't encountered any cons so in terms of features or functions. The only gap one of our analysts identified so far is the ability to determine how a worksheet's final state came to be, specifically the exacts steps performed to created the worksheet like Power BI has.

Lauren M.
  • Industry: Apparel & Fashion

Sigma Computing Review

Reviewed on 2019-07-10

it's been ok, better than the system i was using before but certainly not the best i have used.

Pros

The options are nice to have. We also have been able to compute what we need from the report.

Cons

It is the slowest thing on the face of the earth

Courtney M.

Basic Reporting Tool

Reviewed on 2019-06-28

Pros

I like that I can pull my customer's usage with ease

Cons

I think this is mostly how our account is set up - like we haven't invested that much time to set it up but wish there were graphics pulling the data together.

Andrew B.

Easily data management

Reviewed on 2019-06-27

Pros

It was extremely easy for someone with no data experience to start using the product.

Cons

The visualization features were lacking

Andy R.

• Customer Support Software

Sigma plus Snowflake is a revelation!

Reviewed on 2020-12-14

It has exceeded my expectations in ease of use and the productivity my team has been able to achieve.

Pros

I love the secure cloud hosting, the ease of connecting to data sources, the fact that it queries the data directly, but most I like the grid based view of data that is always at hand.

Being able to view, sort, filter, and create calculations on the data in a familiar spreadsheet-like interface is genius. The “Column Details” feature allows me to quickly understand the range of values in the system.

Cons

I’ve generated several feature requests for areas we’d like to see more detail.

Reasons for Switching to Sigma Computing

See above. Good feature set. Engaged support team. Price. Ease of onboarding and getting staff productive. Ease of connecting data sources.

Powerful data visualization tool

Reviewed on 2020-05-14

As a data analyst, I've have had a lot of fun building dashboards and reports with Sigma. It's very flexible and has great usability

Pros

- You can easily add data sources, and then create datasets with the columns you need
- It also lets you format the columns and process the data by using formulas, very similar to what you would do in a spreadsheet, but more streamlined
- You can easily join different datasets and filter data
- The new dashboards are very easy to use, with a clear interface to add widgets, filters and views
- They also have quick and effective customer support

Cons

- It can be a little intimidating if you are not familiar with spreadsheets

Mode and Looker

Reasons for Choosing Sigma Computing

It was getting hard to import, maintain and visualize the data in an Spreadsheet. As a company we decided to move all of our data to a warehouse and we selected Sigma as the visualization tool

Reasons for Switching to Sigma Computing

Price and overall functionality. UI was also very similar to what our end users were used to (Spreadsheets)
John M.
  • Industry: Financial Services Software

• Customer Support Software

Quick route to collaborative BI (especially for Excel users)

Reviewed on 2020-09-15

Sigma got my business to the point of insightful, collaborative BI in a couple of weeks, and it instantly was our most critical performance monitoring tool.

Pros

Love the dataset -> spreadsheet -> dashboard usage model

Seamless integration with Snowflake

Cons

User admin/roles functionality is not as easy and consistent to administer as it should be

Looker, Microsoft Excel and Tableau

Reasons for Switching to Sigma Computing

It was the easiest and most cost-effective to link to our Snowflake instance.
Rostyslav B.
  • Industry: Telecommunications

• Customer Support Software

Good product, becoming better every quarter

Reviewed on 2020-05-13

I was using Sigma increasingly over the last year or so. One thing that I am most pleased with is how in the new releases I can see the issues raised by me and my coworkers addressed and solved. It is becoming more and more usable with time.

Pros

Sigma is a quick and easy way to map from a SQL query through intermediate exploration to customer-ready visualization

Cons

No way to save the complete project as code, which can be edited, version-controlled, ported, etc

Juan T.
  • Industry: Logistics & Supply Chain

Reviewed on 2019-09-29

Pros

Great charts, filters and databases, easy to use and learn

Cons

Layout and colors, not nice or fancy first experience

Dhimitra P.

Great software that's easy to use and visualizes data in an easy-to-digest way

Reviewed on 2020-12-08

Pros

Visualizations, charts, tables, filters for columns

Cons

Understanding how to add certain columns, the different layers within the data

Sean A.

Sigma Daily Use

Reviewed on 2019-07-08

Pros

It was easy to store data and share with partners.

Cons

The user dash is a bit basic. It would be great to see a wider variety of tools and functions.

Ibrahim gurdal A.
  • Industry: Pharmaceuticals
  • Company size: 1,001-5,000 Employees

• Customer Support Software

Great tool for non-IT users

Reviewed on 2020-05-19

Pros

Sigma makes non-IT users' access and manipulation of big data super convenient and intuitive. Works great.

Cons

I think some of the self-learning features of the tool can be improved. I had to relay on in-house experts for learning some of the features of the tool.

Marissa C.

Sigma Review

Reviewed on 2019-06-26

I use sigma multiple times a day, 5 days a week and with the exception of a few internal tweaks, I am generally happy with the program.

Pros

Easy exporting into excel, formula customization, overall data customization, saving personal reports

Cons

Dragging and dropping columns in the sidebar isn't the most efficient. Also, the loading time when changing filters is so long! I find myself exporting the data dump into excel for easier and faster use. Also the constant formula adjusting to achieve the correct data - I've been using the program for about 6 months and reporting isn't 100% yet.