Sigma

Collaborative business intelligence and data analytics tool

4.2 /5 (77 reviews) Write a Review!
4.2
4.6
3.9
3.9
4.7
Mia O.
Industry: Automotive

Turns non-technical business users into data power users

Reviewed on 2019-06-26

Stellar overall experience. The Sigma team makes a massive effort to truly understand and design around customer needs and use cases, as well as to provide hands-down the best customer support and training I have ever received from a B2B vendor, period.

Pros

The ability to connect to any data number of data sources across our enterprise data warehouse to extract useful insights for my team. Without a line of coding I can report, analyze, and visualize data from our CRM, IoT data streams, 3rd party APIs, and now .csv uploads. The full access is balanced by perfect row-level security controls so I can use the same system to power data dashboards and portals for internal teams as I do for external clients.

Cons

The upside of being able to access ALL data streams leads to a downside -- it can take a long time to process and load information. However I look forward to data materialization features in the works which will eliminate this problem.

Kyle T.
Industry: Venture Capital & Private Equity

Great product and better value

Reviewed on 2020-09-15

Pros

Compared to competitors I found Sigma to be much more straightforward with regard to database connections and dashboard building. No complex data warehousing layer, or reporting databases to instrument / sync, it simply reads from whatever db you assign and syncs in real time. While there is still a learning curve, the excel-like functions make it friendlier to business users who are not familiar with SQL to enable them to build custom reports rather than only viewing. While there isn't a "team" assigned to you for onboarding like other tools offer, I have found adhoc email and chat support to be good enough, and certainly worth the $ saved compared to other 'implementation costs' that often come with or are built in to the pricing of competitive products.

Cons

The team/user permissioning and management could be more straightforward.

Luke B.
Industry: Marketing & Advertising

Excel for your data warehouse

Reviewed on 2019-07-18

I help B2B SaaS startup founders and CMOs with their customer data platforms and reporting.

The ability to create additional columns on your data containing custom formulas and the ability to sort and filter on multiple columns is great.

One of my clients uses Sigma and I’ve been extremely impressed at how easy and quickly it is to build reports on multiple tables of data without writing any complex SQL. For example, sessionization of page view and event time series data is a complex SQL query which can be performed within a few minutes in Sigma without any knowledge of SQL. It’s a great tool for business users.

Pros

I’ m very impressed at Sigma’s ease of use for building reports from my clients data warehouse running on Snowflake. If you can use Excel, and understand the data in your database you can be up and running extremely quickly without having to write SQL queries or any code to describe your database.

Cons

As with any tool there is a learning curve to the interface, but since it’s similar to a spreadsheet, it’s quick to learn.

Theres no feature yet to save custom formulas to be used across worksheets so you’ll have to copy and paste them for now.

Gary B.
Company size: 1,001-5,000 Employees

Two month review

Reviewed on 2020-09-15

So far, I have loved it. For a month of experience, I feel very empowered to create the reports necessary to drive the business.

Pros

Love the simplicity of creating reoccurring reports and setting them up for automated delivery.

Cons

Some of the more complex formulas can be difficult to create, however the support has helped immensely. Only other con would be some of the output formats. one of the largest issues I still have is to output to a format that includes the entire list of (pick a column)

Alec P.
Industry: Computer Software

Sigma is a powerful tool

Reviewed on 2020-06-01

I have been able to expand my personal skillset with sigma and work towards better data insights.

Pros

Sigma offers a great way for me to explore tables in our database and visualize those insights. Building worksheets and converting those sheets into dashboards have been very valuable for me.

Cons

There is a learning curve here. It may take a while to get completely comfortable using the product. Once you do, the possibilities for data analytics expand.

Joanne P.

Up and Coming Software

Reviewed on 2020-06-01

[SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] have been great to work with and always ready to help us. Support is not an issue :-)

Pros

Integration with Snowflake, Ability to load data files, Ability to analyze large data sets, Excel like functions

Cons

Dashboards are a little quirky and limited on drill down capabilities; heat maps are missing; and other features expected in a BI tool; need more training options

Josy C.
Industry: Computer Software

Sigma from a user's perspective

Reviewed on 2020-12-14

It is good lightweight tools to understand data and stats about the data.

Pros

It is easy to set up reports, charts and graphs. I can drill down from graphs to worksheet easily and get detailed information

Cons

When we have more data (like one year's transaction), the queries take longer time; sometimes it times out.

Ashlie R.
Industry: Apparel & Fashion

I appreciate the customization options.

Reviewed on 2019-07-03

My overall experience has been positive, there is definitely a learning cure for the non-analytical.

Pros

I appreciate being able to start with a report created by our analytics team and tweak it to suit my department's needs.

Cons

The filters can sometimes be confusing until you get the hang of how the software thinks.

Betsy W.

Great Potential

Reviewed on 2019-06-27

We're starting to think of problems we can solve, but having disorganization in your company's data doesn't make it easier.

Pros

The ease of combining data sets and manipulating data in a way that makes sense to me.

Cons

It's not super user-friendly. I don't have a ton of experience with SQL and I feel like I am limited.

Shae R.

Decent

Used Monthly for 1+ year
Reviewed on 2020-09-21

Pros

For the tools that it provides, Sigma is very useful. Whether it is better than other options remains to be seen, but it is a decent choice for data collection and analysis.

Cons

It is not the most user-friendly and takes a fair amount of time to set up reports in exactly the way you need. It could be far more flexible.

Likelihood to recommend: 5.0/10

Allen H.
Company size: 501-1,000 Employees

Sigma review

Reviewed on 2019-09-07

Pros

Connection to Snowflake, good UI, can make adjustments / calculations to columns

Cons

Functionality is not as robust as I'd like (e.g. lacking some charting capaciblities)

Kevin F.
Industry: Hospital & Health Care

Good Product

Used Monthly for 6-12 months
Reviewed on 2020-09-16

Pros

It's really good for its spreadsheet like interface

Cons

Hard to replace data sources, no calculations on pivot tables

Joseph B.
Industry: Financial Services

Great model for rapidly evolving analytics

Reviewed on 2020-09-24

Sigma is the fastest and easiest BI tool to deploy. Iteration on the semantic layer is a cinch.

Sigma is a delight to work with as a vendor. Their support is superbly responsive (during business hours - they don't have global timezone coverage yet).

Sigma's pricing model is reasonable and very friendly to orgs where 80+% of the employees need live data access.

Pros

Sigma has the right model.

From the user perspective, the columnar formula editing feels familiar enough, and the learning curve is friendly to anyone with spreadsheet experience.

From an architect perspective, the semantic layer is lightweight and easy to adapt to ever-changing schemas. The UI covers most of the functionality you'll want, and for everything else you can fall back on writing your own code, like cron strings or SQL queries. I let Sigma do probably 95% of my querying, leaving the gnarliest 5% for me to write in their SQL runner.

I do a significant amount of lightweight ELT work in Sigma as well. I like being able to write massive views that I know I'm going to have to update often, and just like Snowflake / Sigma materialize them for me. When I use Sigma to query S3 directly in the SQL runner - usually to POC some new data that hasn't made its way out to the business teams yet - this functionality is really convenient because those queries are not efficient. I just need to get new data in front of the business as quickly as possible.

Cons

Visual discovery is lacking when compared to mature tools like Tableau. Sigma needs to continue chipping away at the Tableau features around dashboarding and charting.

Michell B.
Industry: Transportation/Trucking/Railroad

Good price, needs more features

Reviewed on 2019-07-18

This has been a net positive for our org.

Pros

Sigma allows viewers for free, even viewers from outside your organization.

Cons

The dashboard feature is not fully built out - many features seem to be missing. For example, I can't put percents on a pie chart.

Sean P.

Revolutionary Data Tool

Reviewed on 2019-07-08

The most significant impact of Sigma has been exposing data to so many people around the business who would otherwise have had to go through the data team bottleneck, both slowing their access to data and limiting the explorability and agility of the results. However, this can be accomplished in a controlled manner with Sigma, ensuring that stakeholders only have access to vetted sources of truth procured by the data team.

Pros

- ability to explore and inspect the source data and perform sophisticated SQL functions via GUI (group, join, aggregate, etc.)
- ability to create single source of truth worksheets and build all related content off of that, instead of reinventing the wheel with every new query
- unlimited reader accounts allows usage to really take off and flourish instead of hamstringing itself

Cons

- pricing still unclear as to what constitutes an author vs a reader - based on recent conversations with Sigma I'm afraid that we are going to be upcharged on items that were never made clear to us (I am still unclear)
- new software still has its share of bugs

Krystyna S.
Industry: Real Estate

Highly recommended!

Reviewed on 2020-05-13

Excellent! I use it on the daily.

Pros

It's easy to use and straight forward. I'm not not only handling reports for my team but for multiple departments as well.

Cons

I'm still learning the depths but it's one of the best programs that I've had the opportunity to use. I would say the only thing that can be annoying, is the load speed. Sometimes my tables and dashboards time out.

Drake M.

Simple Yet Powerful

Used Weekly for 1+ year
Reviewed on 2020-09-15

Pros

Sigma presents data in a format users already understand... a spreadsheet. The result is a BI tool that is much less intimidating than alternatives because it doesn't force users to learn a new query language.

Cons

While the basic functionality is actually pretty easy to use, some of the features are hard to find, or not that intuitive especially around formulas or more advanced features.

Yuting K.
Industry: Information Technology & Services

Good BI for basic data visualization

Reviewed on 2019-07-18

Pros

1. excel like so it's easy to pick up
2. can connect to the live database and without writing SQL query
3. can share the worksheet and schedule to send out the worksheet via email

Cons

1. it's not easy to use if you want to do a complicated report: once you aggregate multiple worksheets / refer other worksheet and apply multiple filters, it's hard to verify your result and make it in the correct format.
2. the articles to discuss the Sigma features or best practice are not comprehensive.

Eric K.
Industry: Marketing & Advertising

Good platform with potential

Used Weekly for 1+ year
Reviewed on 2019-06-26

I like the trajectory the company is heading, and would recommend depending on fit to objective.

Pros

Sigma is a dynamic and agile system, helping us remove the use of Excel for day-to-day calculations. Their team is supportive and hands-on, which is probably the best part of the company.

Cons

Still very basic and could stand to invest further into UI.

Heather C.
Industry: Consumer Goods

Great for comprehensive reporting

Reviewed on 2019-06-27

Pros

As a marketer, Sigma is an incredibly valuable tool that allows my team to aggregate data to inform our decisions and scale up. I like the ability to drill app activity down to the user level in order to identify trends and specific user behaviors.

Cons

It can be very overwhelming! Not instantly intuitive but not hard to learn either. My biggest complaint is that it was often very slow.

Caroline M.

Sigma for Usage Reports

Reviewed on 2019-07-03

We are using sigma to pull usage data from our customer base. We rely heavily on this data in order to measure the value that the customers are getting from Yesware, identify churn risks and areas for adoption. Without Sigma, I would not be able to do my job to the best of my ability.

Pros

Access directly from the browser, quickly pulls the results I need

Cons

Sometimes it is difficult to sift through the different dashboards - this could be an internal issue

Yanwu Z.
Industry: Nonprofit Organization Management

Great tool without sql requirements

Reviewed on 2020-12-08

We use this tool to send dashboards and reports to external clients.

Pros

This tool is very easy to set up and very intuitive for end users. Sql knowledge is not necessary, but Sigma offers the option of writing SQL statement to generate data set. The queries is sent back to cloud to execute which make Sigma allow you to quickly query vast amounts of data.

The row level data security allows us to distribute the same dashboards to different clients and each client only can see their own data.

Cons

I only use this product in a short time period and have not found anything I dislike.

Blake T.
Industry: Transportation/Trucking/Railroad

A vast improvement over our previous product

Reviewed on 2019-07-03

Using Sigma as a tool to prioritize asset service and inspection has been a game changer. Much better visualization tools than the competitor's product we previously used.

Pros

It is much faster and easier to read than our old reporting software

Cons

I would like the ability to modify the sort on the fly. Currently an admin has to adjust it, if it is needed

Industry: Capital Markets

Great tool our needs - fast and easy navigation of snowflake data, quick reporting, data validation

Reviewed on 2020-05-13

Pros

Easy and intuitive user interface. Licensing is for creators, viewer usage unlimited. Visual designer for lookups and joins. Fast learning curve for non technical users. Team is super responsive. Works very well with snowflake.

Cons

Not a tableau/power bi replacement, some features still immature

Daniel D.
Industry: Health, Wellness & Fitness

Sigma Review

Used Monthly for 6-12 months
Reviewed on 2020-12-08

Sigma was very easy to setup, integrate, configure and use with our existing data stack. It was very easy to onboard end users and get them productive quickly.

Pros

The ability to easily and conditionally schedule report exports in multiple formats targeted towards our business users.

Cons

I haven't encountered any cons so in terms of features or functions. The only gap one of our analysts identified so far is the ability to determine how a worksheet's final state came to be, specifically the exacts steps performed to created the worksheet like Power BI has.