Microsoft SQL Server

4.6 (1,572)
Relational database management system for data analytics

(1,572)
4.6/5
Customer Support Software

1572 Software options

Corporate relational databases

Reviewed on 2021-11-16

Its interface is so complete that any query and data transformation task can be carried out. As well as procedures and functions. It is a tool that combined with other systems such as SSIS can become vital for the BI of a company.

Pros

Being a software with so many years of experience, it has the solidity and stability of a highly efficient and corporate platform.

Cons

It is not a platform that is easy to implement and use for small or medium-sized companies. Its use would be very expensive and exhausting.

MySQL and PostgreSQL

Reasons for Switching to Microsoft SQL Server

For its stability and support as it is a highly efficient and corporate platform. For large companies it is the most successful option.
Gajanan S.

• Customer Support Software

Fact, efficient and scalable relation database system

Reviewed on 2021-07-11

Its been around 10 Yrs I am using Microsoft SQL server is for development and I would be recommending to
all business consumers to use this database and save the cost.

Pros

Simple and easy interface for developers. for end-use it supports all dashboarding tools. For the business users, low cost compared to other DBs. Security standards are implemented.

Cons

Some of the advanced functions should be added in SQL servers like for hieratical data connect by clause.
packages.

Reasons for Switching to Microsoft SQL Server

It's very user-friendly and easy and efficient.
Anthony B.
  • Industry: Civil Engineering

SQL Server | Inexpensive and Impressive

Reviewed on 2021-01-05

Our organization uses SQL Server Enterprise as the backend for our Laboratory Information Management System. While we had the option to use Oracle, we went the Microsoft route due to licensing costs and in-house expertise. We have had nothing but positive experiences with SQL Server. From day-to-day operations to high-availability to SQL Agent jobs, we use a large portion of the functionality included with SQL Server.

In addition to our laboratory system, we link SQL Server to our financial system (running on an Oracle database), which allowed us to create a data mart that we use to mine and report financial data through SQL Server Reporting Services.

Pros

* SQL Server Management Studio is intuitive and fairly straightforward to use

* Implementing more advanced features such as SSRS does not require much effort

* Simple process to link other database servers (i.e. Oracle)

* Robust high-availability solutions available

Cons

* Licensing structure for Enterprise version is per core(s)

* Always On Availability Group high-availability solution, while it works well, could have been simpler to set up

* Performance/query tuning recommendations are not easy to locate

Kudakwashe N.

Data Management made so easy with MS SQL Server

Reviewed on 2020-03-20

Pros

For any developer, before first they can this own what their apps are going to be developed in their should think of what server should host their database. I do believe that MS SQL Server is the best on the marketing when comes to data management and administration. The best feature that i really love the most on MS SQL Server is the ability to disable remote execution of your queries and really helps protect data integrity in case your server authentication has been compromised. You can also be rest assured that your data is consistent and accurate at all times. Yes hackers some times can try sql injection but i believe MS SQL Server its the most secure servers around.

Cons

The license key for MS SQL might cost you an arm and a leg but at the end of the day its really worth it when you think of a platform where you are able to develop enterprise apps that secure and helps with Business Intelligence.

Filipe F.

SQL Server review

Reviewed on 2020-03-10

SQL server is great, because i can use the same language same application, and for small customers it uses free option, and only for best performnace or bigger data need to pay for it
Can use it locally on on cloud

Pros

SQL Server is a great system to develop databases with great functionalities like jobs, procedures, functions ans so one

Cons

For me the only think not so good is performance for bigger batabases, but for me between 10GiB and 15GiB works fine

Quentin G.

This sequel is better

Reviewed on 2019-10-07

Once SQL Server in Azure was selected, it proved to be a great experience. Security, performance and usability was ironed out for us already. We could focus on building our application rather than learning something new about cloud security or how to use a new type of database or database language variation. We have been pleased with the ability to research performance and include other features such as SSIS to accomplish our business requirements easily. Knowing that manual tasks are being completed automatically is a sigh of relief. We also will know immediately if there are any issues. We have had a great experience with SQL Server.

Pros

It is an industry standard that continues to improve to make the lives of developers easier. We are able to produce software solutions more efficiently because Microsoft continues to improve SQL Server. We rely heavily on this as critical to our business. Developers tell me how flexible SQL Server is also. SQL is more compatible with software packages than other competing databases.

Cons

Parts can be not intuitive unless you've been using it for awhile. It is a technical piece of software that requires time and training. If you need the Enterprise edition for specific features, it is expensive.

MongoDB and MySQL

Reasons for Switching to Microsoft SQL Server

We needed a back-end database for our new product. We had an AngularJS front end and needed a fast, efficient relational database. We wanted an industry standard that would be supported for many years going forward. We also needed reliability of a database that would meet our needs while continuing to improve in the future. SQL also has great support, user forums, groups, and 3rd party consultants. Many resources are available to us as we build our new solution and have questions. SQL Server in the cloud was a perfect fit for our organization which already used MS Azure.
Aníbal M.

• Customer Support Software

My experience with sql Server has been satisfactory, I have done punctual work.

Reviewed on 2018-07-07

I have worked several times with this software for different reasons I have been able to simplify developments thanks to the Transact-SQL so it has saved me programming time, the services that I have under my responsibility at work are stable, this gives confidence and tranquility for me and for my bosses, I made restorations in record time.

Pros

This software has as its first advantage that it is a Microsoft product and has the full support of the company and the stability of a well-tested product. At the basic level, I find it very efficient, the sql responses are fast and there are almost no service interruptions, which is a point in its favor when I use it, I find the Transact-SQL language that is used very powerful, I was able to assign commercial processes of the application in the database that allows multiple applications to use them and it is not necessary to program these functions in each application, the SQL server administration tools are very well thought to be all in a Microsoft environment, the integration is perfect, they are very intuitive to find new functions, they do not require prior knowledge, what is important to train new staff, another thing that I like about this software is the scalability that can start with a small database and grow, in A past project had transactional tables that inserted millions of records daily. I like security, it is possible to assign specific permissions to different users who perform different activities within the same database, this makes me trust the product.

Cons

The least I like is undoubtedly the cost SQL-Server does not have a good cost-benefit ratio, other brands offer better benefits in this regard, another point is the high consumption of RAM, it is necessary to allocate a large amount of resources for this And to guarantee the quality of the service, until now I have not found a hosting provider that offers me a PHP server with Sql-server. This stopped once a new development for a client was disappointing to me. It is difficult to learn in a particular way, the free versions of this software are very limited and the certifications are expensive, which reduces the interest when it is investigated.

Jerry A.

• Customer Support Software

Ridiculously powerful and full of features we do not make use of. We love it, and cannot do...

Reviewed on 2018-07-02

This software practically runs our facility. Without it, we couldn't keep track of our animals or our people (staff, members, donors). To us, this software is well worth the costs involved.

Pros

SQL Server is just so incredibly powerful, most users probably do not know how much it can do, or how much it can handle. In our type of organization, we deal with people and animals. We rely on donors and members for funding, we track everything about our animals from health issues, to medications, to physical exercise. Every one of our systems relies on, as the backbone, SQL Server. This software is powerful, versatile, and reliable. With pretty much every department of ours needing some type of database, standardizing to SQL Server was just the best move. It can handle it all. It can track it all. And it can report on it all for us. To date, we use it for: our Accounting software, our donor tracking, our membership tracking, our animal tracking (includes tracking from what zoo or aquarium animals came, their medical history, their exercise history, their diet, their location in our facility, their trainers, their behavioral issues/environmental factors), our vet's digital imaging systems, our guest services scheduling, our security systems (surveillance, door locks), our water quality and hvac sysytems logging and controls, our point of sale system (for admissions and food court and ecommerce), and our facility management software (maintenance and IT requests). This system does indeed handle everything we need it to.

Cons

You need a lot of training to make the most of it. Or it could cost you a lot if you have to pay a developer to help you get the most out of your systems. Luckily a couple of us are really into databases, and we both have a lot of experience with SQL, we can do most things in-house. But still the amount of training we go through to keep current, or to keep learning is probably the biggest "problem" with this software. Most software packages, you can buy, setup, receive a few hours or a few days of training, and you'll be good to go. With SQL, if you intend to use it, to get the most of out it, you will need more extensive training, or to hire people to put in the work. It's not cheap. But it can help you accomplish so much if you put in the time.

Scott s. M.

• Customer Support Software

Solid relational database ecosystem with useful accessories

Reviewed on 2018-08-01

The ability to solve data problems and syndicate actionable information to the right audiences in a timely manner.

Pros

I have been using Microsoft SQL Server for about 20 years and have watched the product evolve into a very mature and vibrant offering. SQL Server gives me the flexibility and performance needed for many different relational database solutions ranging from application OLTP databases to enterprise level business intelligence implementations. With my main focus being business intelligence, I have been very impressed with the SQL Server 2016 releases and improvements. It seems the Microsoft is very dedicated to this BI ecosystem and they seem committed to continuity in the products. Some of my favorite things to note are the new SSRS portal interface in 2016, the ColumnStore indexing in Enterprise versions, SSAS tabular models, and the ease of use with Power BI. Overall, I feel extremely confident in this product in terms of its use to solve almost any problem related to data. I find most things very easy to use and due to the wide use of this product, figuring out the more complex issues is not difficult thanks to Google.

Cons

I sometimes don't appreciate the complexities related to transnational logging and the time it takes to roll back large transactions. Purely a performance and optimization issue, but the ambiguities in terms of when a task like this will complete can be frustrating.

Umar W.

My Database Engine

Reviewed on 2019-06-18

It has been awsome as i am now a good Database developer because of this awsome tool.

Pros

I am not DBA but i am using it from more than 3 years from university days and still using SQL in my professional life.
I like everything about from query writing, to testing using SQL profiler.
Most about it is that you can do most thing by using queries and GUI as well.
Its easy to connect and configure with any kind of application with single line of code.
Most thing about it is its prediction while typing and highlighting errors with underline squiggly.

Cons

As a developer i cant find anything that i dont like in it. Its always more than my expectations.

Robert D.
  • Used Monthly for 1+ year

SQL Server Great for SQL Database Creation

Reviewed on 2019-08-19

Overall, my experience with SQL Server has been pleasant. If I had employees, I would strongly recommend them to use is as their main source to create SQL databases. It makes sense to use a platform that is specialized and can be a one stop shop. That is what SQL Server is.

Pros

I love the ability to create SQL databases separate from Visual Studio. Although you can create databases in VS, I like how SQL Server Management Studio is designed specifically for database creation. Plus, it has advanced features for database admins which Visual Studio does not. After creating a database, the admin can migrate the SQL Server database in Visual Studio.

Cons

It is difficult to learn if someone at a beginning level is using it. They will need to utilize the many tutorials provided within EDX.org, youtube or Udemy (to name a few) to learn it. It makes sense if you know how to create SQL databases and the SQL language prior to using it. If not, I suggest to learn SQL first prior to jumping into SQL Server to do database management.

Microsoft Visual Studio

Reasons for Choosing Microsoft SQL Server

More specialized and can do more with developing SQL databases. Visual Studio is great but only basic database creation can be done.

Microsoft Visual Studio

Reasons for Switching to Microsoft SQL Server

As stated, more specialized and it is focused more on SQL database creation. Admins can do more with SQL Server Studio than Visual Studio.
Lasha M.

• Customer Support Software

One of the best DB management systems.

Reviewed on 2020-01-21

I've been using SQL Server for a few years and I haven't had any problems with it except for partitioning. It's very optimized and stable and due to it being free - it's an amazing choice for small and medium enterprises.

Pros

MSSQL comes jam-packed with features. It's standard library is enough to cover the needs of a small enterprise. It is also very stable and can handle large amounts of database exceedingly well. However, my favorite tool is the built-in scripting language - T-SQL. It is very powerful and flexible and lets you do anything you might need.

Cons

SQL Server takes up a lot of computing resource. We have a small data warehouse and yet it takes up over 1 TB. Views are not as useful as in Oracle. For example, partitioning a fact table by multiple columns is impossible without a workaround.

Felix S.
  • Industry: Financial Services Software

• Customer Support Software

Great database for small To medium business

Reviewed on 2019-09-26

I used sql server in the past until cloud based database system like Hadoop and Google cloud are available. this tools is complex and extensive. There are a lot of features and functionalities to create stable and high rated database system like cursor, functions, stored procedures, etc. However, when the data requirements grows exponentially, the system unable to handle the load which takes significant amount of time to query. This is where company looks for better solution to handle big data load using cloud based database. SQL server going to be recognized as the pioneer of database system that set the standard of SQL language for similar products. Perhaps overtime they also evolve with better solutions to handle big data load; something that I have no knowledge about.

Pros

Relationship database is structured database management that create with data integrity and reliability in mind.

Cons

Slow performance with big data load requirements.
Also physically need to build primary keys for each tables instance.

Atir Z.

Top level Database Management

Reviewed on 2020-07-13

With 10+ years of experience in development and management, I have overcome all the problems and resolved many issues with the help of this product and customer support.

Pros

With Rational Databases, SQL Server is at best and top-notch. I am a developer and using this product for more than 10 years. with continuous updates, enhancements, and new features it is getting better and better. Mostly likely SQL Server Management Studio is the best and easy way to manage multiple SQL Servers. Microsoft Customer Service is always great and helpful when needed. Definitely the most Secure system available.

Cons

Sometimes migration from the lower version or other databases is challenging. Cost-wise is also very expensive.

Reasons for Switching to Microsoft SQL Server

Mostly because of my overall experience with SQL Server and Security.

Easy to use. Lots of possibilities

Reviewed on 2019-07-11

We use this for reporting and keeping a health of the business

Pros

It is easy to use. it uses standard structure T SQl language. Reporting options are not limited at all. It is very good and quick with queries. With 2017 there is a lot of changes and improvements on the fly queries as well as self monitoring of Data sources and server health. It works well with all microsoft products and easily can send things to SSIS or Microsoft office excel automatically.

Cons

It is hard to use with products not owned by microsoft. It is not easy to pull data directly from oracle. There are a lot of known driver issues that are being worked on. In the cloud as it is now it runs a little slower.

VirtualBox

Reasons for Switching to Microsoft SQL Server

We use both but SQl server is our main data source Oracle is used to warehouse all the data
Charan G.

MS SQL Server is the best tool for DBMS - All in one

Reviewed on 2019-02-22

I am using the MS SQL server since 2011 which is almost 9 years and I never faced any challenges in database management. I would say it is a great application, easy to learn, use and play with it. Also, Microsoft is having great support for this application in terms of documentation, trouble shooting and live support. Whenever I faced any challenges in terms of server connectivity, database connection, authentication I always get a solution from Microsoft forums to resolve this issue. Simply I am a happy user and I would recomend MS SQL to others as well.

Pros

The MS SQL Server helps our organization to create/organize/maintain customers data. For most of the Web applications, we are using the MS SQL server for database management. It is not only helping to manage customer database, but it also helps in generating SRS reports for our valuable client. It gives ability to create tables, stored procedure, functions, triggers, backup and restore the data. It is having job scheduling capability as well. It is having the ability to create indexes on database tables which allows us to retrieve the database in a faster manner.

Cons

I don't have anything to mention here. I find everything is good in this software. Using the MS SQL Management Studio you can use this software for your database management.

Brian D.

• Customer Support Software

SQL Server does great for database management

Reviewed on 2019-11-22

I've used SQL for several years as an administrator writing queries and managing databases. It's easy to write a simple query. It's also easy to bring a server to its knees if the query is too much for t he server to handle efficiently. Plan accordingly.

Pros

I use this software to store the databases in my company's software. I like that features and management tools are easy to install and use. I also like the ability to get databases sizes and free space with instant properties views. When scripting the context aware features help me to add tables, views, fields, and methods into a script and their associated option types. It makes writing queries easier.

Cons

This is a resource hog. Even if the database is planned correctly, there are features that require massive amounts of resources to properly run the database. Often this can depend on the size of the databases and the query results, but large databases can require in excess of 64GB of Ram requiring high end server hardware.

Reasons for Switching to Microsoft SQL Server

Mysql did not have the appropriate resources and features necessary to run our software.
Terry C.
  • Industry: Research

• Customer Support Software

MSSQL is very feature rich and intuitive.

Reviewed on 2021-02-12

I love Microsoft's SQL Server. The language, the environment, and the experience are all top notch.

Pros

MSSQL, and more specifically, T-SQL is a very easy language to use. There are many features of the language and of the interface that make writing queries fast and easy.

SSMS has so much built into it that almost guesses what I'm thinking while I'm writing code.

The tools available like the object explorer and template browser allow me to look through my tables and drag and drop snippets of code without having to leave the query I'm working on.

Tons of time savers and functions that make my job easier.

There are also various ways to alter the environment the way I want it from color schemes to the placement of tools for quick access.

Cons

There is not much I don't like. But one thing that is very frustrating is the inability to share templates with a team of other programmers.

I use the template browser all day, every day. I can't share that with others due to where they are stored and that also makes it much more difficult to update automatically as our SOPs change.

Very frustrating.

Ron W.
  • Industry: Consumer Goods

Perfect Ubiquitous Database Solution

Reviewed on 2021-02-09

Overall good. Accepted by the technical community at our company as a secure database.

Pros

The ease of setup and the tight integration with other Microsoft tools. The best part is the availability of talent; both internally and external consultants.

Cons

The stored procedures can easily become overly complex in terms of maintenance. We have internally resolved this complexity by keeping the developers to use as simple as possible solutions in their solutions.

Reasons for Choosing Microsoft SQL Server

Not enough features in MySQL.

Reasons for Switching to Microsoft SQL Server

See above. Limited features.
Tina L.

Love the Query Running Speed

Reviewed on 2020-02-25

We use sql server to store our ad and occurrence data. We are often querying here to run reports and to investigate data problems

Pros

Queries return results instantaneously if the table isn't too large and if there isn't some job running in the background on the table. I also like how easy it is to create and use temp tables

Cons

If I have multiple queries in one file, I have to highlight a query to run it by itself. Would be nice to be able to just hit f5 if my mouse is inside the query.

Daniel T.

• Customer Support Software

A great database and a data management solution

Reviewed on 2016-11-21

I have been working with MS SQL Server from the SQL 2000 version. Currently I work with SQL 2016 (and I am testing SQL 2016 in Linux). In all of these years, I have been using a different solution of the database (clustering, data mirroring, CDC, log shipping, AlwaysOn, etc..), always with a great satisfaction.
A great number of people think that MS SQL Server is a database for small data volumes but, these people are wrong. This database, can manage a big data volume and his management could be very easy if you follow the MS recommendations.
On the other hand, you have a great knowledge base in Microsoft and in a great number of tech portals and blogs. You can find in the Internet, (almost) any T-SQL code to implement with only search it.

Pros

You can do practically anything with this database because it, has complete solutions integrated into it like SSIS, SSRS, Monitoring, Task Schedule (SQL Agent), alerts, other database connectors, etc.
And currently Microsoft is working to finish his database 2016 version to running on Linux.

Cons

Perhaps the only (at the moment) problem, are the locks management in the database when the update/delete operations are very big. I miss the possibility to auto-partition (internal scripts) of these operations, managed by the database engine.

Kelsey M.

The premier database engine

Reviewed on 2019-06-05

I have been using SQL Server for over 20 years as a full stack developer. I have used other DB engines as well but nothing has come close in feature set and ease of use. Microsoft support, when needed, has been exceptional as well.

Pros

SQL Server's features, interface, and vast amount of documentation make it an amazing choice for a database engine. Management Studio makes dealing with day to day database needs simple and intuitive.

Cons

The cost. SQL server for large systems can be expensive. With that expense you do get the piece of mind of having Microsoft support behind it's product which when needed has been top notch.

Reasons for Switching to Microsoft SQL Server

Feature set, ease of use and support.
Gabe M.
  • Company size: 5,001-10,000 Employees

• Customer Support Software

Enterprise-grade SQL that is polished and with high adoption for the Microsoft eco system

Reviewed on 2018-02-22

Pros

- Support: Well-documented, and is a cornerstone of Microsoft enterprise software, and is well-designed very robust.
- Integration: If you are standing up Microsoft applications that require MS SQL as it's back-end, the process is flexible regarding if you want the SQL server hosted on the same box or on a remote server for design and resilience. The process is generally very well documented and the requirements for the installation are highlighted and straightforward.
- Clustering: It can be complicated to initially setup, but it is worth it. Clustering your SQL servers reduced single points of failure, leveraged our hardware resources more efficiently while also making maintenance and patching more flexible.

Cons

- Pricing confusion for physical vs virtual licensing: Pricing is a moving target with Microsoft, so pay very close attention to your infrastructure, how you use SQL, and work with your reseller to determine the most cost-effective way to move forward.
-Split-permissions: Active Directory is the flagship of Microsoft enterprise software, and it grooms you to understand shared permissions that are integrated around Active Directory, and everything joined to it. MS SQL is not setup this way, they are split out, so to understand the permissions model of MS SQL, you have to invest in the MS SQL eco system.

Muhammad arsalan N.

SQL Server Review

Reviewed on 2019-06-19

SQL Server is a proprietary RDBMS developed by Microsoft. SQL server offer multiple distribution option, developer and express edition of SQL Server 2017 are free of cost, but Enterprise and Standard editions are very expensive. We have used SQL server for multiple DotNet projects, perform well and stable under heavy load. Taking backup on SQL Server is quite easy to manage.

Pros

During the backup process, the database is not blocked.
Supports multiple programming languages.
Query can be truncate without killing the process.

Cons

Only native storage Engine support.
Very Expensive solution.

Haley S.
  • Industry: Transportation/Trucking/Railroad

• Customer Support Software

The standard when it comes to databases in the windows environment.

Reviewed on 2019-09-23

Very positive. It is a well known and fully supported package.

Pros

Industry support. Since MSSQL is the standard SQL on windows server, you pretty much have to use it in that environment.

Cons

Can be a little costly, but thats because the competitive packages are all open source. Licenses can cost a good bit.

Reasons for Switching to Microsoft SQL Server

The fact that our environment is heavily windows based. Also some of the major software packages we use are already setup to use MSSQL.