Shift

Desktop app for managing your accounts, apps, and workflows.

4.3/5

Katie L.
  • Industry: Religious Institutions

Keeps My Browser Windows Under Control

Reviewed on 2019-12-04

Shift helps me keep organized, both personally and professionally, and allows me to go back and forth between applications without losing my mind.

Pros

I'm the type of person who tends to have multiple browser windows open, and Shift helps me stay organized and keep the number of browser windows open under control. I use it daily to check my many email and social media accounts, to chat via multiple message apps, to keep track of my personal and professional calendars, and to attend to basic business and even personal tasks right there in the same browser, from Trello to my home budgeting software. It keeps everything all in one place and prevents me from losing my mind. When I see colleagues struggling to find the right tab in a sea of many browser windows, I always suggest Shift as a way to help them keep their browser windows under control as well!

Cons

I have noticed that at times the software can be a bit laggy. When I know I need to do intensive work, say in Google Docs or something, I will open the document in the default browser in order to prevent a delay. This is not usually a problem with basic email, messaging, or other simple tasks.

Gene C.

My New Dashboard for Everything

Reviewed on 2019-11-12

I started out looking for a solution that would let me run multiple Gmail accounts without having to log out of one to log in to another. Shift did exactly what I was looking for.... and more. Simply by clicking an account icon, I could switch between Google accounts and have full access to ALL services in that Google account.

Pretty soon, I was using Shift as my primary email client. Then I started using it as my interface to all my GDrive accounts. Then I discovered that I could add other common apps. The latest update added a built in browser. Now, I am pretty much using Shift as my dashboard for most of what I do online.

It's a marvel of design that combines simplicity, ease-of-use, and powerful functionality into a single window with multiple panes. This is the front end tool that Google would have designed if it had done a better job of understanding how its products were used in the real world, i.e. multiple services across multiple accounts, combined with frequent use of other apps.

The only problem I have had is that they frequently update the product, and one update became incompatible with my older MacOS. But the support people were super helpful, and within a week or so they had come up with a patch to fix things.

At this point, Shift has become a more important tool in my online activities than Google Chrome, and that says a lot.

Pros

- intuitive, simple user interface
- ability to control multiple accounts in multiple apps without signing in and out
- seamless integration with Google mail, drive and other services
- ability to add practically any app that I might use
- works on both my WIndows and Mac devices

Cons

- would like a little more flexibility to customize the gmail interface
- have had a couple of issues with newer upgrades not working with my older MacOS

Excellent Product, Awful Support

Reviewed on 2019-12-13

The product is excellent but I'm extremely disappointed by support.

I was offered a free year long trial of the beta version of Premium by a senior member of the team after having buggy experiences earlier on. A few months in I was loving it and planning to upgrade to Premium after the year.

However, after a few months, the account was spontaneously downgraded. After almost 2 additional months of back and forth with support, I still didn't have access to the original subscription.

The person I was in communication with was friendly and responsive at first, but literally did not acknowledge the nature of the issue and kept asking for the credit card on file (there was none since I never had a paid account). I question whether or not she actually read the emails. Eventually she stopped responding unless I followed up, became less and less friendly, and I finally just deleted the account.

I loved the product but felt there was a significant disconnect with customer support that made it impossible to benefit from the Shift in a reliable way. Ultimately, the issues with customer support cost a great deal of time and I lost all of the benefits of streamlined productivity.

Pros

Easy to use, used to be really buggy but has improved significantly
Chrome extensions are now available
So easy to toggle between accounts
Doesn't seem to use a lot of bandwidth

Cons

Frequent identity verification - but that's probably not within Shift's control

Bracken F.

Amazing Software!

Reviewed on 2019-10-21

Fantastic and wonderful! Would recommend to anyone.

Pros

This makes managing my many accounts as easy as pie. I have 6 Gmail accounts I work with, and plenty of applications too - having them all in one easy-to-access place makes my workflow smooth and reliable. I love this software.

Cons

It sometimes glitches and shows notifications that don't exist or are already cleared.

Flow

Reasons for Switching to Shift

Looked easier. Is easier.
Lucy W.
  • Industry: Consumer Services

Great for small business

Reviewed on 2019-10-22

I found Shift because I was looking for a way to manage multiple Google accounts without having to deal with multiple tabs that I couldn't even read. I wasn't expecting that it would also enable me to have all the apps I use to run my business at my fingertips. It just makes my life easier and more efficient and I really notice the difference when I don't have access. I only have Shift on my desktop machine and when I need to get work done on my laptop the struggle is real.

Pros

I like that everything I need is at my fingertips, in a visually appealing way, with no chance I will accidentally close a tab. Best features are LastPass integration and having each Google Drive file pop out as a separate window!

Cons

It can be buggy - moving slowly, windows don't open where they should, kicking you out of accounts seemingly at random. I also don't love that Google Drive windows automatically go to the back no matter which window you were in last.

Stephanie T.
  • Company size: 1,001-5,000 Employees

Shift

Reviewed on 2019-10-21

Pros

I love the connection of all my google drives and apps as well as the fine tune control of bringing all my emails together with different alarm and notification structures. I love the integration of other apps like grammarly, etc.

Cons

I wish there was a refresh button so that I could check if the email has come in just like on a web browser, instead of having to wait for the app to update on its own schedule.

Response from Redbrick Technologies

Thanks for the review! We're excited to hear that you're enjoying Shift. As you may have already noticed, there is now a refresh button on the top bar that will refresh the screen that you have in focus. If you're still having issues with this, please feel free to reach out to our support team.

Joel daniel H.
  • Industry: Think Tanks

• Customer Support Software

Shift is a move in right direction for Gsuite users.

Reviewed on 2018-11-27

Pros

If you have a lot of different Google products you use regularly (multiple email addresses, calendar, drive, contacts, etc), Shift saves you a ton of tabs and time switching, consolidating everything into one easy to navigate interface. As a business owner that oversees 3 email addresses actively and 3-5 more occasionally, Shift is worth it solely for the email element. It gets even better having calendar integrated. Shortcuts are helpful to jump between everything with ease.

Cons

Once I leveled up to pro, I found that there were diminishing returns. The more things that were all shoved into one interface, the harder it was to navigate it all. And several of the new programs/add-ons had much more limited functionality. Basic is solid. Pro is best. Advanced is overrated.

Stephanie S.
  • Industry: Sporting Goods

Best way to organize multiple email accounts

Reviewed on 2019-10-16

The ability to track all the email accounts and the extra widgets to help optimize and save time most definitely work. We went through many email management systems before finding shift and shift has been a life saver. With the extra tools we were also able to find other services that help optimize our time too.

Pros

The ability to manage multiple inboxes. I currently track 5 inboxes and the ability to track all of them in one place is a huge time saver.

Cons

Which there were some apps. We use Sunsa along side of asana that would a good app to add

Response from Redbrick Technologies

Thank you for the review! We're excited to hear that you find Shift the best way to organize multiple inboxes. Thank you for the suggestion of Sunsa, we are always adding new apps and have added it to the list. Stay tuned!

Ryan C.

• Customer Support Software

Great app for managing multiple Gmail and other accounts!

Reviewed on 2019-10-21

I currently have a couple different emails I use for work and have my a couple accounts for my personal business. Shift allows me to swap between all of these accounts without cross-pollinating them. I love it. At work I have a laptop with two monitors and one monitor is always dedicated to Shift!

Pros

Shift makes the integration and access to multiple programs very easy and simple. I love switching between email accounts and accessing everything I need very quickly.

Cons

The only issue I have had with Shift is that I sometimes have to login multiple times to an add-on/application because it isn't syncing well. I have also had to reboot the software a couple times because it was being "buggy". All of which I think is a natural part of the process and appears that the support team is actively working on ways to improve on these types of issues.

Abel M.

A must have for productive teams

Reviewed on 2019-10-16

I'm a digital marketer that switches between apps all day long. This has allowed me to have all of those things in one dashboard saving me tons of time and headache. I also use it for work and we have a very outdated internal management system that we use and because of it's versatility we are considering using it to bring all of the apps that we would need to replace our current system.

Pros

The software is intuitive and easy to use and allows me to have almost all of the programs that I regularly use all in one place. It's so helpful that I've found myself looking to see what programs integrate with it before purchasing them.

Cons

There isn't anything to dislike about the software. The only negative thing that I could say is that when I originally purchased it some of the programs were a little buggy but they've fixed those issues and I haven't had any issues for months.

James H.
  • Industry: Entertainment

Game Changer

Reviewed on 2019-10-15

Pros

Shift truly is a game-changer. At any given time I've got 3 personal/professional emails, plus show specific emails. Many of them are paid GSuite accounts, but many aren't. The ability to manage several emails and drives without having to sign in/out truly saves hours of time and headaches per project. Being able to add in apps like Dropbox and Spotify is next level. It almost feels like I have a separate, simple operating system.

Cons

Aside from a few glitches that get quickly patched, I have no complaints.

Jordan M.

• Customer Support Software

Excellent professional or even personal work oriented application

Reviewed on 2019-09-30

By utilizing Shift I am maximizing efficiency, eliminating redundancy, and turning my workstation use into a power user platform with its ease of functionality and organization. i never miss a beat.

Pros

Shift is what I call sort of an Iphone or Android app for PC. It collects all of your most used applications, websites and programs for easy access in one clean and efficient user interface. it makes your pc or mac as easy to use as an Iphone. My efficiency has gone through the roof since utilizin this application.

Cons

There is little negative about this software. I suppose more integrations would always be nice but that is hardly a downside. It's more of, "it would be nice for this app to do this or that, but you can only get so much utility for the money!

Scott G.
  • Industry: Design
  • Company size: 501-1,000 Employees

• Customer Support Software

Shift has shifted a complicated group of windows into one

Reviewed on 2019-12-05

Shift has allowed me to streamline my workflows and keep everything neat on my desktop

Pros

Shift has continued to evolve during the time that I've used it and continues to become a more efficient way to manage the multiple apps and windows that I have to use daily. The app integrations are a god send given I no longer have to keep multiple apps/windows open.

Cons

The one draw back that I have found is that Shift does not import bookmarks from Chrome or other browsers. Once they get these in, I doubt I'll need to use an actual internet browser for anything.

Response from Redbrick Technologies

Thank you for the review. We're very excited to hear that your workflow has been streamlined with Shift and that your desktop is neater. We're working hard on functionality to allow for importing bookmarks from the web so that you don't need to use a browser ever again. Stay tuned for updates!

• Industry: Telecommunications

Manage Multiple Accounts in One Place

Reviewed on 2018-09-21

Pros

Shift let's you manage multiple email (and other) account within the software, which makes it a very useful service for many professionals including myself who use multiple email accounts on a daily basis. It notifies you when new data arrives. Easy to add new accounts.

Cons

Only cons is that many services require you to upgrade to the most expensive tier of the software.

Colton M.
  • Company size: 501-1,000 Employees

• Customer Support Software

Great email client and more

Reviewed on 2019-10-17

Very positive. I love having all of my email accounts and frequently used web apps in one client. It has a clean, attractive design, and it performs well.

Pros

I really love the number of available integrations and the fact that it doesn't try and reinvent the wheel by offering a new user interface. It simply wraps the standard web interface of Gmail and other integrations, there's no need to learn new controls or workflows.

Cons

If you're running it on multiple machines you might notice that sometimes if you add an account or integration on one machine it may not reflect on the others and you have to manually add it. Other than that there's nothing really to dislike about this software.

Taylor F.
  • Industry: Music

• Customer Support Software

A focus and organisational monster!

Reviewed on 2019-10-25

Pros

The layout and speed of Shift's platform is near perfect. I love only opening Shift on my laptop and crushing work due to the ease of bouncing between apps. A weird bonus is using their constantly updated app section as a discovery platform to find new apps to try out.

Cons

The only thing is how Google Apps are limited to the top right of the UI. Having an option to move them to the left with the other apps would be nice. It still works fine how it is.

Minh L.
  • Industry: Research
  • Company size: 5,001-10,000 Employees

Organize your Life

Reviewed on 2019-10-16

Pros

Everything I need from Email, GroupMe, Slack, Mendeley on the work side and Facebok, Reddit, Duolingo even on the social/personal side is all grouped into one platform

Cons

You do have to pay for the advanced feature, especially the 'Sent from Shift' Signature
It signs out of your accounts sometimes

Erika A.
  • Industry: Higher Education Software

best software for multiple platforms

Reviewed on 2020-08-11

Overall, I love Shift and highly recommend it to anyone with multiple email accounts or communication platforms.

Pros

Shift is amazing for keeping track of multiple email accounts in a way that is organized and streamlined. I love being able to search all of my accounts at once, as well as jump between accounts easily.

Cons

I wish I could split the window into half one email account and the other half a different email account.

Liz C.
  • Industry: Media Production

Amazing way to keep me out of browser tab mayhem

Reviewed on 2020-02-06

wonderful, could not do without it. Once I started using to to move between email and chat platforms, I have never looked back. This is by far the most best way I have found to keep me off my phone and focused at work.

Pros

I can so much easier control the chaos of email, apps and the various platforms I use on a regular basis

Cons

Trouble with chrome extension is an issue and spotify does not work - but other than that I have no real complaints

Leslie C.
  • Industry: Executive Office

One of the best tools I've found

Reviewed on 2019-10-15

I hated having a million browser tabs open all at once and Shift solved that problem. I'm able to locate what I need quickly so I can work more efficiently.

Pros

Shift helps me stay organized and find what I'm looking for easily and quickly. It has been tremendously helpful to me in working with multiple apps and websites every day. I don't know what I would do without it now.

Cons

It's a little buggy, especially with the email (which tends to lose login info). There are some features I wish it had, but overall it's a good product.

Lauren T.

Shift by Redbrick Review

Reviewed on 2019-10-16

It's neutral. I like it for collecting email, Trello, and Slack into one window, but the rest of my experience has been mediocre. I thought this would eliminate my million tabs, but the integrations that sold me on the product don't function as they should, so that simply isn't the outcome I got. Support was helpful in offering for me to switch to the beta version, but I am not convinced that will solve any of these issues, and I don't have time to email back and forth with support every single time this happens.

Pros

1. Ease of use
2. Interface
3. Having Trello, Slack, and two email accounts in one window

Cons

Many of the integrations I hoped to use simply do not work. So for Shift to claim it has them and then to experience them not functioning effectively is extremely frustrating. And this is not user error. I have tried closing, quitting, and reopening the application, refreshing, logging in and out of accounts, and completely deleting and re-adding integrations. Nothing helped. I completely understand glitches now and again and understand these integrations require communication between platforms. However, the extent to which I am having issues with integrations is unreasonable.

I'm specifically referring to:

1. Spotify (won't play music)
2. Toggl (won't load, blank screen except for top navigation)
3. Squarespace (won't load)
4. Sprout social (won't load, blank screen)

Response from Redbrick Technologies

Thank you for the review! We're happy to hear you're finding Shift easy to use and enjoying having your apps and multiple email accounts in one window. You may have noticed the addition of focused web tabs recently and that many of the bugs you mentioned have been fixed. However, if you're still have any of these issues or any new issues have come up, we'd love to hear from you. Feel free to reach out or to create a support ticket (https://support.tryshift.com/new).

Damian S.
  • Company size: 1,001-5,000 Employees

Great software

Reviewed on 2019-10-25

Overall despite the cons listed above, great software

Pros

I have the ability to have Jira, Conflence, android messaging, gmail, discord and more all in the same application. its like auto opening all of my most used sites at once.

Cons

Grammarly and last pass do not work well. there is no dark theme/filter option for the inner applications. unable to copy images from the Facebook or Redit tabs, I have to right click, copy page url, paste it in a web browser, then copy image. And I am unable to add my work webmail. Also a bit pricey for needing this much improvement.

• Customer Support Software

Solid for accessing gmail and google apps outside a browser

Reviewed on 2018-04-20

Pros

Great to access gmail and google docs/sheets with no temptation to browse in separate tabs. The free version was a great experience.

Cons

The Advanced package's ability to access 3rd-party applications is great, but it's overpriced. It also makes the Pro package feel like a waste of money, as its added features do not feel proportionate to the Advanced package.

Good Design, Useful App

Reviewed on 2018-06-28

Pros

I was excited to try shift given how much I bounce around between clients gmails and google drive accounts. The app has a good design and works pretty well. Worth trying.

Cons

I wish you could do a little more with the free plan but I get it. This is a very useful tool if you're trying to stay organized, efficient and have a variety of clients.

Taylor L.

Everything In One Place

Reviewed on 2019-10-22

We use Basecamp as our project manager, and being able to switch from emails to that is really nice. It has made our jobs so much easier!

Pros

I love having all of the programs that I use daily in one place. I can quickly switch between programs and switch back. There is no lag time to do so, no logging into each one every time. Very user-friendly for everyday use.

Cons

At times you get logged off from an account or two, so it can be frustrating to have to log back in. But, that's about it.