Ellucian

Suite of operations tools for higher education

3.6 /5 (92 reviews) Write a Review!
3.6
3.2
3.5
3.2
3.6
Ryan S.
Company size: 1,001-5,000 Employees

I use this software every day for my accounting job at a major Midwest university.

Reviewed on 7/23/2018

This software has allowed me to be very efficient with my work as I am able to identify any accounting issues that may arise. Additionally, the system makes it very easy to look at prior fiscal years, which is a very large benefit when our auditors are asking for that information.

Pros

This software, and the newest update, has made accounting a breeze. The financial system allows me to easily see where any reconciling item may be, and allows me reference codes so I may gather further detail. The new capability of using Chrome is a great feature as well because our entire organization is comfortable with the format.

Cons

My only con would be that on some screens I am not able to copy certain data, which requires me to manually input the data. This is a small complaint because it is minimal amounts of typing.

Neisha P.

Ellucian for Community College

Reviewed on 11/14/2018

In the beginning I had to constantly keep my list of instructions handy if I wanted to enter a requisition for a purchase order, now its easy because I've done so many. Practice makes perfect!!!!

Pros

I liked how you can add features, customize it for the needs of the institution. I work for a small college and we don't need all the extra features that the larger colleges might implement.

Cons

It can be a little difficult to navigate for the beginner. Unless the user knows what they want there is a chance of getting lost. Ive been using the software for about 4 years now and i sometimes get lost or have to search for specific information. There is no menu with a list of options. So I guess what I'm saying is that it would be nice if it was more user friendly, easier to navigate.

Company size: 1,001-5,000 Employees

Not a good integrated solution

Reviewed on 11/21/2018

Negative, frankly. While helpful and polite, the team seems too inexperienced to be of much help. In fact, Ellucian seems to cause most of the problems themselves through self-inflicted wounds. Each update or patch implements some new ‘improvement’ that breaks most workflows and processes built for the previous version. As such, the hope to get a slight improvement ends up costing weeks of manpower to fix everything else in the test environment over and over again.

Pros

Ideally, when functional, the functionality between Ellucian products can be helpful. We use Banner and eRecruit CRM. We expected the CRM/ERP integration to be the best selling point when choosing the CRM application.

Cons

Despite being the same company, the products are not as seemless as we felt it should be. It took well over a year of implementation of the eRecruit CRM to customize it to fit with the Banner ERP. Even then, we still find issues where things are not being converted from one to the other well. One example, on the CRM, GB is the country abrieviation for the UK (Great Britain), but in the ERP, this is shown as Gabon. I’ve wasted so much time programming and converting little things like this that I find it hard to believe they were released by the same company.

Likelihood to recommend: 1.0/10

Lisa R.

Ellucian User for 15+ years

Reviewed on 8/30/2019

Pros

Since our college gained access to the web-based version of Ellucian (we call it Colleague at our school, too), it has been a lot easier to use.

Cons

I wish the help feature and other help documents were a little easier to follow. We used to have a gentleman who worked in Admissions & Records that would make PowerPoint presentations and quick guides to help out the Ellucian users.

Jennifer R.

It's hard to be vanilla

Reviewed on 4/25/2018

We were in desperate need of an SIS and for the most part, it does serve our needs.

Pros

I like that we have a consortium we can share ideas and code with and have a single voice to Ellucian.

Cons

Banner INB is very clunky to use - even if you are good at using software in general. It is not a very intuitive product; however, the company is moving in the right direction.

Industry: Transportation/Trucking/Railroad
Company size: 1,001-5,000 Employees

The Industry Standard but why?

Reviewed on 6/13/2020

This product is very commonly used and it feels like they rely on this fact to put in minimal efforts towards innovation. If you have a different option, I would recommend investigating that.

Pros

This product is very commonly used in industry. The online support community around this product is very active and is very helpful when you encounter issues, bugs, odd behavior, etc. (which is often). It is based on a relational database so query writing is easy enough.

Cons

Software patches and updates from Ellucian are notorious for breaking various modules, connections between modules, etc. The UI is a very outdated model and tends to be very unfriendly for those who are not tech savvy. Customer service from Ellucian leaves a lot to be desired.

Likelihood to recommend: 3.0/10

Mark D.
Industry: Higher Education

Ellucian SIS does what it is designed to do, store data in a standardized manner.

Reviewed on 7/15/2018

Standardized data. Student lifecycle data storage. Central hub of data for all things related to the student, their experience, and relationships.

Pros

Easy to use and navigate. Validation tables prevent data from being entered incorrectly. Standardized data means consistent reporting outputs and expected values. Covers the entire lifecycle of the student journey so the Ellucian SIS is set up to be the storage space of all student data.

Cons

Difficult to customize and add fields to the SIS if business processes require it. Can feel overwhelming for new users to learn the system. Very limited ability for most functional users to create their own reports. Usually need to involve report writers with SQL report writing ability. Reporting on multiple areas of the student journey can be difficult when needing to see multiple screens and forms.

Powerful SIS That Need Usability Enhancements

Reviewed on 12/19/2019

Ellucian SIS is our source of truth for virtually every system. It comprises current and historical data for our entire user community. We've built many integrations over the years and use it daily for reporting and accreditation needs. It's the backbone of our organization and people have learned to use it effectively.

Pros

The solution is flexible enough that each of our functional departments can use it effectively to accomplish their objectives. Our two largest user groups are Financial Aid and Accounting, each of which uses it daily. What isn't available OOTB can typically be added via customizations, although customizations often present problems when upgrades happen.

Cons

In my opinion, the solution has a very poor design. It consists of many, many UI screens that are accessed by typing in acronyms. This may work well for power users that memorize all the acronyms but there's been several instances where users have had issues, only to discover a 'new' screen that can offer the information they need. Simply put, if you don't know the acronym, your life will be difficult.

Likelihood to recommend: 5.0/10

Company size: 1,001-5,000 Employees

Access your university from your pc

Reviewed on 4/3/2019

I have used this system when I was a professor assistant and student

Pros

This product provides a learning management system which makes the jobs easier for students and the professors. Students can easly check their duties and see their activities on this system and professors can easily manage their classes easily.

Cons

If there are a lot of students dont buy this software, during the peak times it makes lots of bottleneck and managing the problem is not that easy always some problem appears if some administrative user did something wrong. The money you pay and the service you have dont compensate each other

Ross W.

Reasonably priced SIS solution

Reviewed on 4/22/2020

Functional SIS solution, but requires full time developers to support.

Pros

Powerful, a lot of functionality out of the box allows smaller institutions to hit the ground running.

Cons

Pricing for individual modules is complicated and expensive, user facing interface is very dated and in need of an overhaul.

Tara F.
Industry: Financial Services

Financial Aid User

Reviewed on 8/19/2019

Pros

Ellucian Banner is the platform that I have used at my previous and current university, while working in financial aid. I have only ever used Banner so I do not have another platform to compare it to. This system has been very beneficial in automating the processing for financial aid. I have used this program for over 7 years. All student, and employee, related information is stored in one location and necessary processing can be handled with Banner. Financially and academic based, this program has helped be the "one-stop-shop" for all information for our large student base. Banner 9 has made the screens easier to use for new users (due to acronyms) but Banner 8 was the most efficient program I have ran.

Cons

Banner 9 seems to have a lag between screens that has not yet been improved. Being web-based, it has really slowed down or processing. There are glitches that are quickly fixed but there seems to be more issues with this new Banner program than what we ever dealt with while using Banner 8.

University Accounting

Reviewed on 3/28/2019

Overall we are very satisfied with Ellucian. It provides our business and finance team books that are used for easy reporting and a clean UI interface.

Pros

I have been a user of Ellucian banner for over six years and have been through countless updates. The product keeps improving where I think things are already good, and is quick to address current issues. Our organization loves the fact that we can use a web based version as well. Additionally, the UI is very clean and I can understand what is affecting our balance sheet, income statement, ect., all at a quick glance. Finally, the reports that are generated from Ellucian are very helpful and make it so I can create accurate reconciliations.

Cons

The one problem we run into with Ellucian is that training to use the product is difficult. Many screens have specific acronyms to access them, which is hard for people to remember. However, they have introduced a search function that allows you to use words and it acts more like a google search, which is helpful to find what you need.

Kala D.

Decent user experience

Reviewed on 2/26/2019

Pros

The updates that came with Banner 9 have made it much more user-friendly, although there's still a long way to go in this department. It has become much easier to search for various Banner forms, a feature that was lacking in previous iterations of Banner. The overall look is sleeker than the previous version and navigation within the forms has been made somewhat simpler with the reorganization of the page and inclusion of tool dropdowns.

Cons

Occasional glitches disrupt the daily workflow. Many processes are still not as intuitive as they could be, especially when it comes to entering multiple invoices with separate FOAPAL strings. There is some difficulty getting Banner to talk to other software programs. While exporting data is easier than in previous versions of Banner, some print screen attempts go better than others.

Likelihood to recommend: 5.0/10

Cyrus C.

Mixed Reviews

Reviewed on 12/14/2018

They are an established Higher Education software that is on the cutting edge with a lot of what they offer. The partnerships they offer with vendors seems to fall short in some cases. The support they offer for the products is generally good. But depending on the application may depend on how quickly they respond to support questions/issues.

Pros

Offers a variety of different software solutions that integrates with its ERP (Banner or Colleague). Along with a variety of ancillary applications that integrate with the ERP.

Cons

Cost would be by far the biggest issue. The second would be that as of late the company has a tendency to tout its upcoming or just released products will work but in reality it is being built and developed as the sales people speak. To be fair their established software generally works well and no complaints.

Justin N.

Banner Finance - A Highly Functional Financial Tool for Higher Education

Reviewed on 7/16/2019

Our overall experience with Banner Finance has been very positive. We are able to generate quarterly and annual financial reports that our auditors and finance staff can work with and drill down on to get detail behind the figures.

Pros

Banner Finance offers a lot of great functionality but what I liked most about the finance platform was its ability to interface between six campuses with Banner Student to communicate tuition payments and student receivables with our system financial system and update all as though they were one.

Cons

Because this financial platform is so big, when we have experienced problems with Banner, it has caused debilitating shutdowns that grind our finance and accoutning system to a halt and users are on standby until we can get traffic started again.

Mike J.

Colleague as an ERP

Reviewed on 10/15/2016

Colleague is an overall great product. Ellucian has been working hard to improve Colleague's features and functionality, especially on the Self-Service platform. This work has kept them at the front edge of innovation with responsive design that allows your constituents serve themselves from any device. This takes pressure off of administrative staff so they can focus on quality support to your students.

Ellucian does a good job at being connected to their customers and understanding the constantly changing needs in the academic world. They hold focus groups, beta testing groups to allow the engaged community of customers to provide input, and it shows in the quality of the newer products they have created.

Pros

Mobile friendly self service
Integration through Ellucian XE
Active user community on Ellucian's eCommunities social media platform

Cons

Reporting. Expect to spend money on a reporting tool.

Company size: 1,001-5,000 Employees

Banner is a fantastic data management tool.

Reviewed on 3/22/2018

Pros

It's a rock-solid application that you can count on. That in and of itself is a huge deal. It works, has minimal bugs, and is the backbone of how we manage our data.
When other applications are having a problem or we have a data integrity question, we often say "What is it in Banner?" because we know it will be correct there.

Cons

It can be a little scary at first to new users, which I can speak to from experience. But the new interface is definitely helping with that.
I would also love to see Ellucian develop a proper higher-education CRM tool. We had to go with another vendor because we needed something more comprehensive than what Banner could offer (Application Reviewing, Events Management, etc).
I think Ellucian is missing out on a huge financial opportunity and could take a massive chunk out of the Higher Ed CRM market if they were to develop one.

Timothy S.
Industry: Higher Education

Very stable software used by best higher ed. institutes

Reviewed on 6/19/2018

Ellucian Banner has provided our students and staff with a single application that manages aspects of course registration, work, bills, payments, grades, academic status.
Single sign on module was extremely helpful

Pros

It is a high-end software. Very stable. It integrates with the Microsoft LDAP. We have been using it for student and employee account management in term of course registration, tax forms, billing, salaries, student employment, grading, transcripts. It has very secure and solid database which is essential for the above mentioned matters.

Cons

Managing it requires training. It is not easy to administer. The price is very high compared to competing software in the higher education sector.

Cassaundra L.

Literally the Worst

Reviewed on 2/6/2019

On top of clunky, unreliable system is a virtually non-existent customer service/support team. You can post/reference questions to/by other users, but other than that you basically just get the 900 page technical manual and have to figure it out yourself. If you have a home-grown system and are considering making the switch to Ellucian--don't! Just wait a couple years for another company, like Workday, to develop a SIS that makes sense. Ellucian is a dinosaur.

Pros

When Ellucian's products were first released--decades ago--they were cutting edge. Banner, their SIS (Student Information System) quickly became the industry standard for enterprise databases on college campuses which transformed the way higher education leaders use data to make informed decisions. Their products continue to be effective for large universities that have every module of Banner installed, i.e. have their entire campus from registrar to bursar to admissions running on an Ellucian solution. When used "out-of-the-box" it does its job, not easily or beautifully, but gets it done.

Cons

It's as if Ellucian (and their strongest competitor PeopleSoft) got comfortable once they dominated the market and just stopped trying to make the actual user experience better. They put on large, fancy conferences and have great branding, but using their systems is a NIGHTMARE. A different programmer designed every form/screen/section so they all function differently. Where two clicks should do, fourteen are required. The bugs far outweigh the features. Something breaks more often than it doesn't. It's awful, but they have us trapped because no one else can compete with them. Sometimes I think it would all be easier if we just used Excel to track student records! Since our school implemented Ellucian products 5 years ago, to the tune of millions of dollars, we've had to add 2 new positions in our office just to handle the tech components. And don't even get me started on what happens when you attempt to customize their products. Endless headaches.

Likelihood to recommend: 0.0/10

Jacqui G.
Company size: 10,000+ Employees

As a user can be frustrating

Reviewed on 1/17/2019

Overall I can't picture doing my job without Banner Finance, however, it can be a source of frustration too. But in the end it really is a powerful tool if you know how to use it.

Pros

As a person who uses this for work, only as a user (not an administrator) it is nice to have everything in one place and all info is presented clearly and as is. Sometimes you do need to take a few minutes or a few steps to get what you need, but its all there.

Cons

Transitioning from the last version to the latest has been cumbersome and challenging. Also, knowing the shortcuts for all forms can be like learning a new language.

Nadeem H.

Banner Human Resources Module

Reviewed on 9/5/2019

This product is for higher education institutions. Ellucian is behind many competitors in this space however, it has realized this and is making positive changes in the right places.

Pros

Customer service is very good. The vendor is always willing to listen and help where they can. In addition, there is a customer portal which allows the customer to communicate with one another on issues or ideas.

Cons

My dislike is the current roadmap is very slow to achieve goals. Often release dates will be pushed out and this causes much frustration within the business that has planned to upgrade certain services.

Kathy K.
Company size: 501-1,000 Employees

I work with one module for the software and they have a great network for help.

Reviewed on 8/22/2017

The Ellucian software is very helpful in keeping our school on track and making it easier for the student to navigate Admissions to registration to financial aid to graduation.

Pros

Very functional and customizable to your school. We get the opportunity to let the company know what we want in the software and they usually update to meet the various schools needs. Very aware of all federal guidelines and requirements.

Cons

Training for use of the module or processes would be nice when something new is implemented. Several screens and options are usually available with short descriptions.

Rebecca B.
Industry: Nonprofit Organization Management

Great Software

Reviewed on 11/27/2018

Overall experience has been great, just a few things that can get confusing or hard to do, but other than that, it is very useful for what we use it for. We keep a lot of information and this software allows us to do that.

Pros

This software allows us a great way to keep track of giving history, event information, solicitations and personal information. Also allows us to pull simple and in depth reports.

Cons

Can be a little cumbersome sometimes when you want to dive deeper. Pulling in depth reports can be confusing with continued training.

Ashley V.
Industry: Education Management

Ellucian works well as a student information system.

Reviewed on 4/13/2018

Pros

The software houses all of our student information and IT finds securing the database reasonable for higher education. Though Ellucian, we are able to recruit, register, and maintain financial aid records for students. Our HR office also uses it to house employee and faculty information.

Cons

Many of the screens take excessive commands to get through. There are three or four extra steps every time you want to pull a transcript, run an evaluation, or register a student for classes.

Greg K.

Unified ERP designed specifically for higher-ed

Reviewed on 4/25/2018

Pros

Focused for higher education application. Provides fully integrated, unified database system built on Oracle platform with modules for accounting, Human Resources , financial aid, Advancement, and all aspects of student management from recruitment to admissions through to graduation and alumni relations.

Cons

Very expensive, not particularly user-friendly or intuitive, high-cost maintenance agreements, not best-in-class in any area.