The EDGE

Write a Review!
Construction estimating for commercial subcontractors

Customer Support Software
4.6/5

Dane

EDGE Review - Dane Lantry

Reviewed on 2017-04-03

Overall very exceptional program. There are a few items i wish could be implemented in an upcoming update:

- Drawing Maneuverability - I have used AutoCAD extensively and the zooming/panning operation with the mouse is much better/easier than what the EDGE currently offers. The zoom function is achieved by rolling the wheel of the mouse and the panning is achieved by holding down the wheel while moving the mouse. Currently the EDGE zooming is much slower and hard to control either with the keyboard (ctrl++/-) or the zoom window in the top right corner. Panning is not very user friendly whether the window in the corner or the keyboard arrows are used.

- Customizing Reports - the reports function of the EDGE is a very useful tool. However, sometimes i need it to spit other information out and this is not a very easy task to modify.

- Excel - exporting to excel is a nice function but i have been told that importing from excel is impossible. when entering prices in the Prices screen it isn't possible to pull down a value that is the same for multiple items. This repetitive process takes time and leaves room for potentially dangerous errors.

Response from Foundation Software

Thank you for your review and comments. The Estimating Edge team strives to build the best Takeoff and Cost Estimating software on the market. We appreciate your feedback and your comments have been passed onto the relevant departments. We also welcome additional requests at http://bit.ly/2h3ti3s.

Zooming and panning has been greater improved in Version 12. This version is now available and can be implemented immediately depending on your databases. This greatly improved version is a total rewrite which enables us to deliver innovative features, an updated modern interface, is web-based and is much easier to use. If you are interested in upgrading feel free to contact [email protected].

Miguel

Time is Money.

Reviewed on 2022-08-07

I am a huge fan of the EDGE, I have been given the great opportunity to have this tool available to me at my job. I have not used other estimating software besides EXCEL spreadsheet calculators so I cannot compare it to other software, But I have researched other estimating software and their features do not seem to match what the EDGE can offer.

Pros

The best feature I like is the ability to copy a job or conditions and use them on a new job. once you figure out how to navigate much of the tools on the EDGE, you can create a new job with similar conditions to a previous job and whip out the bid faster than starting from scratch. More bids completed in less time is a Good Thing!

Cons

I have no cons, at first when we switched from version 10 to 12 it seemed unnecessary as we were so used to the Version 10. After using it for a while there is actually not much difference. The Estimating EDGE Technical support is excellent at helping customers solve issues when you find yourself stuck on something with the software, usually it is something very simple.

Response from Foundation Software

Thank you for your review and comments. The Estimating Edge team strives to build the best Takeoff and Cost Estimating software on the market. We appreciate your feedback and welcome product feature and functionality requests at http://bit.ly/2LVCjZa

Alex

• Customer Support Software

Tough to learn but once its set up its a smooth system

Reviewed on 2017-04-10

I am in my late twenty's and nowhere near a computer genius but also not computer illiterate and my experience with this system was it is super confusing to set up and learn but once the program is set up to how you usually take off projects it works nicely.

This is not an out of the box system at all. If you are making a complete change from paper take off's and excel sheets like my company was it will take weeks and months to get this to work how you want. We have taken two trips, 1 week each, to their headquarters to have our database's set up along with countless hours and minutes of phone calls to their tech department. The owner who bought the program said that we should be able to figure out most of the database setup in house. I can tell you after going to in house training twice there is absolutely no way I would have known how to set this up. After 1 1/2 years of using the system I still find it confusing at times when you aren't doing simple jobs.

We mainly use EDGE for Acoustical Ceiling take off's. That also seemed like the easiest to get set up. 99% of the time this works perfectly but there are some jobs that just doesn't seem to calculate right, in particular long hall ways and curves.

We most recently had our databases set up for Fireproofing, EIFS, and DEFS. I have to say once the fireproofing is set up it is a complete life saver. The way the old estimator here would do fireproofing take off's was very mistake filled because the hundreds of factors to take into account i.e UL Codes, thicknesses, member sizes, etc.

DEFS also works quite nicely but that is a fairly simple take off, square footage with your materials and labor associated with that square footage.

We are still working a few bugs out of our EIFS take off's. They aren't quite where we want them on the labor side so I am constantly checking them with our existing excel formulas we have used for years.

The people that work for the EDGE, in particular the training and tech support, are always more than willing to help out and are always friendly. My biggest gripe with the system is the difficulty of getting set up initially and also when you come across something unique getting it to work in the program. Once the leg work is done to get the system set up like you like the program really does run smooth. In the long run it is a giant time saver. For example a 50k sqft ACT job that used to take a whole day to take off on paper literally takes minutes.

Pros

The time saving aspects of the quantity take off's

Cons

The initial set up time

Response from Foundation Software

Thank you for your review and comments. The Estimating Edge team strives to build the best Takeoff and Cost Estimating software on the market. We are currently working on a faster way to setup and onboard our customers but in the meantime we have a YouTube channel that has a collection of how-to videos located at http://go.edgeestimating.com/YouTube.

Mike

The Only Estimating Software

Reviewed on 2018-02-28

Best construction estimating software on the market.

Best construction estimating software on the market.

Pros

I've been using the Edge Estimating Software, on and off, since 2012. I own another take-off software that is a great tool for measuring, but doesn't have the integrated condition builder and pricing features. Scanning through some of the other reviews here, let me assure you, that the negative reviews are from those who don't have the correct operating system to run Edge functions or the user just doesn't understand how to use the system. Construction take-off's are only as easy as your understanding of the part and pieces (conditions) required for an accurate take-off. The Edge Estimating System is the only software I would suggest for on-screen take-offs with the ability to hand-enter if you're so inclined. I prefer on-screen as there is 0 chance of losing a condition in transfer.

Cons

You can't load large pdf's at one time. Can't view more than one screen at a time (would be nice to be able to open a detail page and measure parts while building the condition). A little pricey.

abiezer

• Customer Support Software

After learning it well, you love it.

Reviewed on 2020-02-05

Our company uses it's own proprietary estimating software. I use the EDGE to do quick calculations of extra stuff I need to import manually into those estimates. I realized the EDGE is somewhat flexible to do certain changes.

Pros

The version I use is not a user friendly, interactive . It is very technical, which I like. Not everyone learns it well, which gives me an advantage as I have learned it more than everyone else I have met that uses it.
I know of companies that have purchased it and do not use it due to not having anyone proficient enough to work with it. That is my advantage to get on a good job.

Cons

This version can be used on up to windows 7 only, which makes it a bit obsolete. To use more advanced windows you need to upgrade to a different version and there are costs involved, plus it becomes web based and internet dependent. I don't like that at all.

Adam

Edge 12 - It's getting there

Reviewed on 2019-07-17

In a nutshell, we are enjoying The Edge 12. But like my "Cons" list and my review title suggests - It's getting there (slowly). Right now, we're about at a 70-75% satisfaction rate for Edge 12. There is still a lot of work to be done to return to the quality of ease provided by Edge 10, and I don't doubt that it will eventually get to where we're 100% satisfied.

Pros

The Estimating Edge is one of the best (if not the very best) estimating software programs available on the market. It is easy to use, and the upgrades they made to the Edge 12 (compared to Edge 10) have sped up the estimating process (overall). Streamlined and accurate, we trust The Edge (and their customer service team) to provide us with everything we need.

Cons

Still very buggy and glitchy. The Edge 12.6 had fixed many of the issues that were prevalent since Edge 12 was first released; however, there are still glitches. Blurry drawings, slow response/lag time on mouse clicks, etc. But least favorable was the fact that they took away most of the aspects of Edge 10 that made it SUPER user-friendly, and it's not nearly as user-friendly as Edge 10. Their claim of "Less Clicks" for Edge 12 has proven to be inaccurate, as we often spend more time clicking through pages than we did when we had Edge 10.

Response from Foundation Software

Thank you for your review and comments. The Estimating Edge team strives to build the best Takeoff and Cost Estimating software on the market. We have created shortcuts in the Version 12.6 please check them out https://www.estimatingedge.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/LIT-User-Keyboard-Shortcuts-WEB_0619-2.pdf. I am more than happy to send you a hard-copy. We appreciate your feedback and welcome product feature and functionality requests at http://bit.ly/2LVCjZa

Spencer

Edge Estimating 10.8

Reviewed on 2019-07-24

With all the little quirks the Edge has, it is still a fairly versatile program. I came from PlanSwift 11 and even though it was a little easier to do take-offs, the database building was much simpler with the Edge (for the most part). Overall 8/10.

Pros

Custom Database Building.
Ease of Take-off estimating.

Cons

The small bugs (Crashes, install issues, etc)
Not Cloud Based, yet.
No tutorial on how to make custom 'reports'.

Scott M

Estimating

Reviewed on 2017-04-04

I really enjoy using the edge for my fireproofing take-offs. The simple design of the user interface makes it quite easy to use, and their technical department is very responsive to questions and dealing with the back-of-house operations if changes with-in the program need to be done.

This program allows me to greatly increase my production as an estimator in both the quantity and quality of my estimates for my company. With the ability to upload drawings directly into program, I have gone paperless in my estimates, saving my company money in the long run by not having to order or print out drawings anymore. The Edge is a great tool for us and highly recommended.

Pros

Ease of Use. Good Technical support.

Cons

Fireproofing Shop Drawings as printed out directly from the Edge are a bit messy. I need to use a PDF editor to edit and clean them up.

Should have the ability to write notes directly on the take off pages that can be included in the printed out shop drawings

Michael
  • Company size: 501–1,000 Employees

Long Time User

Reviewed on 2017-04-04

I think the product is great. would love to see the changes forthcoming with Version 12. I think there are a few of items that would only make the program only that much better.

Pros

The fact it walks you through each assembly and gives you the areas you need to focus on. unlike with Qbid you have to know each part and peace before building the assembly.

Cons

Some of the Onscreen features of Qbid would make the edge that much better. like the ability to just select a portion of a wall assembly in stead of the entire wall. or having to break it up into small parts.

Response from Foundation Software

Additionally, version 12 is now available and can be implemented immediately depending on your databases. This greatly improved version is a total rewrite which enables us to deliver innovative features, an updated modern interface, and is much easier to use. If you are interested in upgrading feel free to contact [email protected].

Austin

Austin Rackley Roofing Review

Reviewed on 2019-07-11

We have been able to bid many more projects with the edge, with less estimators. To go along with that, estimates have become much more accurate and fool-proof.

Pros

I like mostly the time that it saves while estimating compared to by hand takeoffs and also the accuracy it allows if things are set up properly. I like the ability to fully customize everything from estimating templates to the reports and so much more.

Cons

There are several features that have been taken out in version 12 that we really liked as a company. Also there are several smaller bugs in the newer version that hopefully shouldn’t be too difficult to work out.

Response from Foundation Software

Thank you for your review and comments. The Estimating Edge team strives to build the best Takeoff and Cost Estimating software on the market. We appreciate your feedback and we would love to hear what features you would like to see in version 12. Please fill out our product feature and functionality requests at http://bit.ly/2LVCjZa

Dennis

The Edge - Not There Yet

Reviewed on 2019-07-10

Overall experience is very good. Like the program a lot and it fits our company well enough for the estimating team.

Pros

The versatility of creating different conditions. The ability to quickly add conditions. The accuracy of the calculations.

Cons

Not able to stack hyper links from page to page. Need to track details from Elevations back to enlarged details. Sometimes this will be three to four pages back into the documents. Do not have the ability to add notes, lines, clouds, bubbles, etc... to the take-off page. Can only add notes in one line and not a paragraph type setting. Need better options in printing out take-off, annotations come out too large and it does not print out correctly on 11x17 size paper. Need to utilize the project management side of construction as well.

Allen

THE BEST

Very good.

Very good.

Pros

Everything:
Clarity
Complete
Job costing tracking
Flexibility​

Cons

Wish it was available in Apple mac systems

On-Screen Takeoff

Reasons for Choosing The EDGE

Accuracy and to increase the volume of estimating and simplified job and project management.

Reasons for Switching to The EDGE

Liked it better

Obada

• Customer Support Software

An good tool for analyzing and pricing bids, as well as project management.

Reviewed on 2022-03-03

The EDGE has helped us a lot in developing our bidding department, and has improved the quality of our pricing and contract management processes.

Pros

The EDGE helps in organizing and displaying a lot of useful data for accurate estimation of bids, and helps in automating all functions of pricing and submission of bid documents. I also like how The EDGE can be used as a project management tool, which allows accurate tracking of tasks and enables the work team to collaborate in preparing work programs and technical and financial reports.

Cons

With proper training, there's no need for exhaustion, since all tasks will be completed on time.

Blake

Edge Review

Reviewed on 2019-07-11

Customizing the reports to create production rates for the field and creating SOV's.

Pros

I like the dual screen capability, being able to customize reports, the software is user friendly and the customer service is top notch. Representative, with the Edge, has be integrall in transition from 10 to 12 for our entire team. He will always take the time to listen and help it we have any problems.

Cons

Not being able to run multiple job take offs, not being able to pull conditions from one page to the next from the take off screen and not being able to print a drawing report on a wide format printer without additional editing software.

Michael

fireproofing

Reviewed on 2019-07-17

The Edge allows you to take off many more jobs then other options, although the fireproofing seems to be the red headed step child of the company. We are always the last to get updated.

Pros

Easy to use, very detailed. Data bank is detailed

Cons

Intumescent take off's are outdated and do not work. Need to update several functions

Naylor AMS

Reasons for Switching to The EDGE

Someone had recommended at the time
Dwayne

Estimating Manger

Reviewed on 2019-07-17

Overall its excellent, Easy to use and train other and new estimators on.

Overall its excellent, Easy to use and train other and new estimators on.

Pros

Everything! Like that they keep doing upgrades but get kind of hard to get all the estimators in our company to upgrade to the most current version every time one comes out.

Cons

The cost of the program, Sometimes drawings don't load clearly, Seems like sometime items data base changes after something is saved? Adding different fastener lengths for taper on several conditions because we do not have the taper module.

Jorge

Working with the new Edge Estimating Software

Reviewed on 2017-12-15

The Edge used to be an excellent estimating program with easy to use features. The new version is the opposite of what an estimator is looking for in an estimating program.

Pros

The edge used to be a great estimating tool for any estimator. The new version departed from that idea, that is bad!

Cons

Cumbersome. Extremely slow I can estimate a whole job by the time the conditions load and specially the drawings. it took a whole minute and half to lad six pages. Too may clicks to set up a job. Drawing feature is still in the development arena.

Response from Foundation Software

Thank you Jorge for your review. We'd love to help you make the transition if needed. Please email [email protected] if you would like to discuss.

We strive to build the best Takeoff and Cost Estimating software on the market and appreciate your feedback. We also welcome product feature and functionality requests at http://bit.ly/2LVCjZa

Leo

• Customer Support Software

The best estimating tool in the construction industry, estimating some other way is on the past

Reviewed on 2017-04-18

The Edge estimating software allowed the users to be able to pick a part every single condition in a job.
The way that is develop based on 3 primary conditions to use such as the area, length and count makes everything so simple to put together from the take off stage to the final material and labor budgets.
Very helpful tool and impressive capabilities and conditions to use. I'm very please with the amount of estimates and budgets we can put together in a very short period of time.

Pros

The software help us to estimate about 12 million dollars a month in roofing construction related projects.
We operate the entire company based on the cost budgets generated by the Edge software

Cons

No very many cons. The Edge software technical department always keep improving the software capabilities and fixing all new bugs.

Response from Foundation Software

Thank you for your review and comments.

Jeffrey

• Customer Support Software

An OK Drywall Estimating program, about to get much better!

Reviewed on 2017-04-18

Initially I was not thrilled with the Edge. I changed companies and was use to the great front end, modern, user friendly interface of PlanSwift. The Edge seemed a bit dated and lacking many of the features I was use to, but once I got familiar with the program I realized it had a lot going on in the back end. It has some great features to modify your estimate and breakout pricing as needed for changing bid requirements. Like I said the program interface and features are dated and lacking, but that is supposedly all about to changes with an all new version of the program for Drywall Estimation. I have seen previews of the new version and I am very excited to start using it. The new release should make the program much more usable and a great estimating tool!

Response from Foundation Software

Thank you for your review and comments. Version 12 is now available and can be implemented immediately depending on your databases. This greatly improved version is a total rewrite which enables us to deliver innovative features, an updated modern interface, and is much easier to use. If you are interested in upgrading feel free to contact [email protected].

Frank

Best in class

Reviewed on 2017-04-06

Have been an Edge user for many years and have experienced the ease and integration of every upgrade, this program consistently evolves around the end user. Having more than 45 years estimating experience in the roofing industry, The Edge has mastered just about all area's of the roof estimating experience and has put it into an fully capable estimating system that is quite easy to use and far more efficient than most other roof estimating programs out there.

Pros

ease of use

Cons

Software manual is confusing to work with since all aspects of the edge are in the one Manual.
I think each division should be separated into multiple manuals

Response from Foundation Software

Thank you for your review and comments. Your suggestion on the software manual is valued and we are currently in the process of updating all user guides. In the meantime visit http://go.edgeestimating.com/YouTube for a collection of how-to videos.

Collin

The Ferrari of the Estimating World

Reviewed on 2019-07-17

Very positive experience using The Edge to standardize our estimating process and create readable reports that anyone can look at and get meaningful data from.

Pros

Very extensive features and options to be utilized in estimating, production, and accounting

Cons

A high performance software requires high performance users and while this is great, it leaves a little to be desired in the realm of doing quick and simple quantity takeoffs outside of your normal scopes and builds. Can be done but not as efficiently as desired at times.

David

Edge for 18 years plus!

Reviewed on 2017-04-10

I have used the EDGE for fireproofing estimates for more than 18yrs. The Edge software is very versetile and allows you to build a system that is taylered to your business needs. I have also use the edge for developing estimates for Fire Stop, Insulating Roof Systems, Roofing Systems, Sprayed insulation such as K-13 and Monoglass, as well as generic SF, and unit counts for other materials. I would recommend the edge to anyone who does estimating for a career.

Pros

Accuracy, data bases, on screen, printing of reports, and charts for shop drawings and field crews.

Cons

It is a little more in depth than most estimating software and takes more time to learn, however the benefits of the learning process are realized in the accuracy and customization to a company's needs.

Response from Foundation Software

Thank you for your review and comments.

Robert

Robert's Review

Reviewed on 2017-04-04

The system is fairly simple to use, updates are far and few in between. Customer support is typically okay, can be a struggle at times though. Upgrades are a little confusing, still awaiting the cloud service for EIFS which has been in the works for over a year and half I believe and was informed would not be available for another 6 months at the earliest.

Pros

Easy to manipulate the conditions and formulas to fit our systems.

Cons

The absence of cloud service and expense of technical support, which has increased over 100%

Response from Foundation Software

Thank you for your review and comments. The Estimating Edge team strives to build the best Takeoff and Cost Estimating software on the market. Your suggestion on update notification is appreciated and we have implemented it into the release process. We also welcome additional comments http://bit.ly/2h3ti3s.

Robert

AWESOME ROOFING ESTIMATING SOFTWARE

Reviewed on 2017-04-03

I have been using The EDGE roofing estimating system for 19 years (1998 - 2017) and don't know how I could get along without it. I have no experience with any other roofing estimation systems, but I sure that there are others out there. However, the EDGE does everything I need and that's all that matters to me. I use it for low sloped membrane and liquid applied systems, steep sloped shingle, tile and standing seam metal. It's all there at my fingertips. Once you have gone through their EXCELLENT training, the system is very easy to use. I must admit, I have had to call their Support Dept. a few times over the years, but they have always been professional and expedient in helping me get through whatever problem I may have had.

Pros

Ease of use. It does everything I need.

Cons

None.

Response from Foundation Software

Thank you for your review and comments.

Shawn
  • Company size: 1,001–5,000 Employees

Pre-Cloud Edge Review

Reviewed on 2019-07-10

We have been using the The for 15+ years. Deciding if we are wanting to stay with it or more to a competitor.

Pros

The ability to have cost of material and labor and other cost type included in the take off.

Cons

It can not handle one company account with multiple offices (each office having its own cost for for material)

Response from Foundation Software

Thank you for your review and comments. The Estimating Edge team strives to build the best Takeoff and Cost Estimating software on the market. The EDGE does have capabilities to handle different material costs for different locations. We will have an expert reach out to you and walk you through the process. We appreciate your feedback and welcome product feature and functionality requests at http://bit.ly/2LVCjZa