RSMeans Data Online

Estimating software for the construction industry

3.8/5
3.8/5
3.6/5
Customer Support Software
4.2/5

• Industry: Management Consulting

Great For Estimators of all Levels

Reviewed on 2/5/2019

I think RS Means is a valuable tool for various levels of estimating, from the non-experienced estimator to the very qualified estimator. From any level, RS Means can provide a sanity check or baseline of putting together a comprehensive estimate. Used with caution, it is a great tool.

Pros

Easy to navigate and understand. Software contemplates so many different scenarios that it can be easy to obtain the information you are looking for. I really like the factoring for various city indices.

Cons

Provides general information. Need to use the software with caution. Understanding the factors of the various line items is key in developing accurate and reasonable estimates.

Kevin

Estimating for Computer Dummies

Reviewed on 6/20/2019

I have been using RSMeans since 1984. I started in college with the book, then eventually to a CD, and now online. My business could not survive without it. Its is the best program on the market. I have tried other programs as samples and they cannot compete with RSMeans. And as to technical help, RSMeans is the best I have ever dealt with, if you have a problem they are great with helping you.

Pros

It makes my estimating easier and faster. It would be impossible to estimate a project without RS Means. Its also gives me an advantage to check subcontractors quotes. In addition, I can bid projects in different areas around the country, which has open vast business opportunities in the construction industry that I would not be able to accomplish before I had the program.

Cons

I wish program had virtual "Cortana" like Microsoft. Sometimes I need to find an item and I don't know how to ask RS Means what the item is and all I get for a response is that there is no line item. Also, I wish they had more items to chose from and good example is ceramic tile such as: 12" x 24", 18" x 18", 24" x 24". These items are becoming more prevelent. RSMeans needs to keep up with HGTV as items are changing with the times.

Gail

• Customer Support Software

Not happy with service or customer service.

Reviewed on 9/19/2019

RSMeans did nothing but cost a lot of money and provide inaccurate information.

Pros

Unfortunately it is hard to like much about the software. Many of the assemblies are inaccurate. I am still waiting for a response from the technical service department for a "ticket" that the sales rep put in 5 months ago about inaccurate calculations.

Cons

The customer service is almost non existent. Emails and the website advertise that their is customer service available until 10 PM. After speaking with a very unpleasant gentlemen, named Kireee, that responded to me by saying "oh my god, reeeally", I discovered he didn't know how to do anything more than sign on to the program. He was the same individual that promised I would get a call back from the training department 8 hours earlier, because he doesn't know anything about construction, only how to log on to the program. He had no idea how to even start an estimate. When he offered to sign on to my computer screen, the software program he used was too outdated for my computer which gets updated regularly. Needless to say, no one from the company ever contacted me. When I called back to speak to a different customer service rep, another "at home" person, named Athena, answered with a hostile attitude. Her only response was to also have someone call back.

Ahmed
  • Used for 2+ years

RSMeans Review

Reviewed on 6/19/2019

I teach an online class every year during a 10-weeks summer quarter at the University of Washington. During the class period, I bring the students to know and learn most of the details about RSMeans in order to let them know how to use it to do cost estimating for heavy civil projects. Later on, they let their companies know about it and possibly have full subscription (i.e. I am marketing on behalf of RSMeans). However, students have to pay one-full year of subscription to use the software for 10 weeks. They have been blaming me for the high cost for the short period of time use!
I would not be able to use the educational version that you offer because it is limited and will not be helpful for my graduate class.

I would highly suggest offering a tailored product in which data is tailored to the need of education, for a limited time for a partial cost. McGraw Hill offers educators to make e-book from a combination of chapters of several books. The ebook is purchased for a partial price for a limited time.

Alternatively, i would highly suggest offering a prior year data at a discounted cost to be used for a limited time. For example, offer subscribing to 2017 or 2018 base data (without quarter update) at a discount. This would help students getting to know how the software work and use the old data to do the estimates.
You could offer access that expires after certain date. Teachers could supply student names in an online form that you used to verify the subscription.

Pros

Organization of the estimating items based on the Masterformat.
Comprehensive list of the estimating items.
Ability to verify estimates using the crew listing and the crew production rates.

Cons

Some estimating items should be available in both the commercial and heavy civil products, but it is only available in the commercial offer.

Eddie

Would like more clarity on when/why certain components drop out of the SF model...

Reviewed on 6/21/2019

I'm estimating building components for the purpose of assigning different depreciation recovery periods for federal tax purposes. I've used this tool since it came out and have used RS Means data (formerly the books) my entire career (over 35 years).

Pros

1) I like that we can tweak the individual components within the SF model.

2) I like being able to take an existing model I've created in past years and update it with current (or whatever year is relevant) costs to create an estimate for a different year version.

Cons

1) Historically, the cost of this tool has skyrocketed much faster than inflation every year.

2) Sometimes we make square foot models and the output doesn’t include costs for what I would assume are key parts of the building. We’ve had issues in the past with roof structure not being a part of the model but recently I generated a model that didn’t have costs for interior partitions, even though it most definitely should have. Is there a way for them to tell us which models exclude certain costs? Sometimes these are difficult to catch in our reviews.

Joe
  • Company size: 501-1,000 Employees

shared Data Base

Reviewed on 10/24/2018

Pros

The access to all the trades and the ability to match items to specifications has been a great help. also being able to retrieve old proposals and have them update quickly

Cons

I also have the JOC software from RS Means which no one at RS Means seams to understand and they have tied my passwords to the same account but if I am locked out of one I can not get in the other one.
Then all the tech know how to fix this is delete all your cookies. these are place markers for other programs and be cause of the failed IT side of this it makes it hard to accept it as a leader.

Tim
  • Used for 2+ years

RS Means at our Firm

Reviewed on 2/5/2020

We provide our customers with budgetary estimates during our design processes.

Pros

Ability to line item choose from all RS Means disciplines we subscribe to. Ability to customize our output reports. RS Means have the majority of the systems that we need to provide accurate budgetary estimates.

Cons

I administer our RS Means account, but I very, very seldom use it myself. As the account admin, I am forced to be one of the user accounts; therefore, I have to allow staff to log on with my e-mail and password to use the online cost estimating. We have determined that we do not need more than two simultaneous accounts and our preference would be to assign the licenses to who needs them, when they need them. I can do that with the non-admin license, but not with the one assigned to me. I’d prefer not to have staff logging on as me (administrator).

Elstein
  • Industry: Civil Engineering

RS Means

Reviewed on 2/22/2019

I was tasked to gather reliable quotes for new construction and renovations to buildings, wastewater treatment plants and other items based on a provided damage report and memo. I found that RS Means was exceptionally reliable in providing quotes for buildings (i.e. drywall, receptacle, windows, doors, lighting etc.). My main problem and realization with RS Means were that I had to contact manufacturing and distributing companies to gather quotes for the larger more expensive equipment that are housed in wastewater facilities. I can only image that RS Means do not have a major need to have those types of quotes, but it would help to fully round out a great software tool. My overall experience with RS Means was positive regardless of the minor limitation.

Pros

I liked the ease of picking up the software functionality for gathering reasonable quotes for new and renovations to buildings, streets and treatment plants.

Cons

At times I found that the software was lacking in overall speed when loading requested search items. I was able to minimize this issue by refining my search request as best I could but for new users attempting to compare all items of a requested search it will slow down RS Means, and you would have to wait until the system loads the various items. This was mainly an issue when I had over 700 results for a single search.

RSMeans Online

Reviewed on 10/12/2018

Overall it is good data and good software and we have been using it to get reasonable estimates for our jobs.

Pros

The data is updated regularly and is relevant to the local area

Cons

One has to consider the estimate given by the software for reasonableness. Sometimes their numbers are obviously not correct. For the work done most often this is not the case. For some less common work efforts, their data is questionable.
The way they name the tasks is sometimes arcane. it seems like people are organizing the data that have not done the work before. Maybe they could use pointers to give something multiple entry points for different ways of saying it. They seem to have "maintenance" relatively often on the weekends, making it hard to use at that time.

• Industry: Higher Education Software

RS Means for Cost Estimating

Reviewed on 2/12/2019

I use RSMeans to do cost estimates for building repairs, retrofits, remodels and equipment replacements.

Pros

The outline style breakdown helps with finding what you are looking for in a timely manner

Cons

The search function is tough to get the wording just right to find what you are looking for

Spencer
  • Company size: 5,001-10,000 Employees

Review of the pros and cons of RS Means Online

Reviewed on 10/31/2019

In general, I have had excellent experience with Means. I feel confident in their prices, wages and factors for various areas of the country. I live in Mexico so would love to have a Spanish version.

Pros

the scope of the cost items is very extensive. The wage rates are very good and the crews are excellent

Cons

they should have versions for Power Plants, Refineries, Mining and Metals and other large types of projects. They should also design it so that there would be a industry standard type of estimate report.

Means used to have a Spanish language version. They should continue with this version.

Ali
  • Industry: Mining & Metals

Project Cost Estimating

Reviewed on 6/20/2019

I'm doing cost estimate for mining projects. The projects covers work of many disciplines like civil, electrical, mechanical, piping...etc. RS Means provides reasonable support in terms of cost estimating for mining projects but not enough details and this is why I use usually another database for comparisons and fill the gaps not provided by RS Means.

Pros

The software is easy to use and has a good details about required man hours for tasks and the pricing of materials and equipment.

Cons

It covers only commercial projects and has minimal support for industrial projects.

Rebecca
  • Industry: Accounting Software

Ease the headaches of Costing

Reviewed on 10/12/2018

Pros

One of my favorite features with this software is the locator. Having the costs customized to your location is so handy and much more accurate than applying a general multiplier to each item.

Cons

My least favorite feature about RSMeans is the subcategories. I love having all of my HVAC costs in one category but I find the subcategories hard to navigate and find exactly what I'm looking for.

Gary

Using R S Means On Line

Reviewed on 6/28/2019

Means Data Online is an estimating tool you can take with you. Where ever you have connectivity, you can generate and estimate. The search feature makes using the online product much easier and quicker that the book style where you have to search through multiple pages to find a particular item - or use the index. With the online data, you can print out your estimate where (with the book data) you have the correct data but what do you do with it?

Pros

The name and cost date compiled by R S Means is known nation (or world) wide as a respected source of cost data. It is easy to use and estimators everywhere can generate a consistent estimates.

Cons

Means needs to increase their intuitional/industrial cost data.

Rita

Need Improvement in Certain Areas

Reviewed on 6/28/2019

Contract requires RSM pricing. This makes it easier

Pros

It is so much easier than the books! You can search but need to narrow it down for speed.

Cons

I can't search as fast as I would like and can't customize the export into Excel to match my contract spreadsheet. Also exports into Excel that have certain symbols, do not work

Shelby

• Customer Support Software

RSMeans allowed my company to take our bidding to the next level

Reviewed on 6/13/2019

My small-business enterprise construction company has won a large number of bids following the adoption of RSMeans. We used to work only through Excel and use memory, material numbers, and past experience to bid. Now, we are winning more jobs, completing bids faster, and bidding more accurately.

Pros

Offers accurate unit prices for specific areas, eliminates toggling between applications for estimating, quick turn-around times for bids

Cons

No ability to filter searches, i.e. filter search within specific line item, sometimes when searching in the search bar the word does not register when hitting "enter", you must manually click the "Search" button

wensley
  • Industry: Transportation/Trucking/Railroad

RS Means review

Reviewed on 6/20/2019

Overall experience over last 2 years has been excellent. Prior to that it renewing subscription turned into a mess every year (not being billed timely, billed 2 and 3 times)

Pros

ease of use, costing data is updated on a regular basis

Cons

thinks that i like least are addressed in more expensive packages

Sharal

President/CEO

Reviewed on 2/19/2019

We are a commercial construction company that competitive bid on projects .

Pros

The software is user friendly and gives a good foundation for cost estimating.

Cons

Sometimes I find the cost estimate to be rather low compared to actual bids.

Caitlin
  • Industry: Civil Engineering

Great Resrouce

Reviewed on 9/28/2021

RSMeans Online has been a great learning tool for both experienced professional on our team as well as entry-level individuals.

Pros

We switched from e-books to RSMeans Online and it has been great! Our team finds it more interactive, easier to find information, and overall a great experience.

Cons

There are so many different packages and customizations which is good on one hand, but also a bit much as some people want more functions while others wouldn't necessarily use them.

Response from Gordian

Hi Caitlin - Thank you for submitting your feedback and we are glad to hear that your experience after switching to RSMeans Data Online has been great!

We've passed your feedback along to the Product Development team to take into consideration for future enhancements of the packages and customizations.

Shobhit

Good Experience

Reviewed on 10/4/2021

Pros

Rs means has a good database with a timely update with the latest prices.

Cons

Rs Means is not best with the user friendly

Response from Gordian

Hello Shobhit - Thank you for taking the time to submit feedback of your experience with RSMeans Data Online.

We have provided your feedback to the Product Development team around user friendliness to be considered in future enhancements.

Rich

RS Means Data Online

Reviewed on 7/2/2019

It saves the time of having to pull a physical paper copy of the RS Means books of the shelf and searching though pages for data. As stated, it is much easier and convenient to search for items in the online data base and adjustments for time and location are done for you rather than having to search for a factor in the book and calculating every item you look up with these factors. Data is also updated quarterly, while the physical book is updated yearly.

Pros

I like that it is a comprehensive database of all of the RS Means Books in one easy to access, online database. Searching for items is fairly easy. Adjusting prices for markets and quarters of the year is easy with one touch of a button

Cons

The descriptions of items are long and if you try to extend the description field so that you can understand what item you are looking at, you lose some of the productivity and cost data fields. The viewing box could stand to be larger to allow for more data to be visible

Susan

What's not to like!

Reviewed on 6/13/2019

Great on-line experience unless you get a power outage.

Pros

The ease of looking up specific material items.

Cons

The inclusion of new technology pricing has a wait.

Michael

Detail oriented

Reviewed on 7/2/2019

Pros

The details provided when building an estimate is immeasurable

Cons

Training is needed when doing speciality estimates

Haashiem
  • Industry: Architecture & Planning

RSMeans Rates library

Reviewed on 6/16/2019

More accurate basic element pricing, from product source locations, this eliminates the need to get quotes from a local distributor, which take a long time, it also assists us in negotiating with local distributors, as we have a confirmed base price for various items at the source (EX WORKS)

Pros

Major list of basic construction items, which assist with having a basis for pricing, at least for a base cost, because we are in a different geographical location, where most products are sourced from the US.

Cons

Limitations in the product description in some occasions can cause some confusion, not all products are created equal, but it is understood that naming items will have to expand the list to millions of items, causing major capital expenditure and price increases to service offerings

Jay

Very User Friendly

Reviewed on 9/23/2021

RSMeans Data Online has been very easy to use and has helped me out on several estimating projects.

Pros

The software is very easy to use and the export function is excellent. The new WBS is also very useful for breaking up your estimates.

Cons

There are not many cons of this product as it is very user-friendly and very straightforward.

Response from Gordian

Hi Jay - Thank you for taking the time to submit your feedback. We are glad to hear you are taking advantage of the export and WBS functions.

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to reach out to our customer support team!