4.6
Brian S.

KISS for email marketing

Used Monthly for 2+ years
Reviewed on 9/1/2020

I use it to send a weekly email to my former ukulele students (300+). I also send out 'tech tips' to authors on a semi-regular basis.

Pros

What I love most about email octopus is the simplicity of it. The interface is minimal by design which doesn't derail me when I just need to get an email out to my lists.

Cons

I would love it if they supported markdown.

Mikey C.
Industry: Entertainment

Reliable and cost-effective

Reviewed on 8/31/2020

Overall I've been very pleased. I have tried several other providers and found that this service is excellent and compares well with other providers who charge a lot more for similar features.

Pros

EmailOctopus offers a reliable platform at an excellent price, and the level of customer support is particularly good. Questions are answered promptly and efficiently. The platform is easy to use and has a good range of features.

Cons

I'd like to see the drag and drop email editor improved. It works well enough and the emails look good, but it is not as slick as other editors I've used.

Jan sigetty B.

Unfair comparison with Mailchimp

Reviewed on 9/28/2018

I like it, but that's because I found workarounds.

Fx. I design the NewsLetter in MailChimp and copy/paste the HTML. It works fine that way.

Pros

I moved from MailChimp, because of the price tag. Octopus is way cheaper, but it's still possible to send the same quality emails and that's​ great.

Cons

1. A better interface to make your own template/design. Limitations in fonts, sizes, etc

2. List features are limited. No way to create segments or groups based on subscriber data.

3. Regarding reports: A graphic overview of where the clicks are placed.

Response from EmailOctopus

Hi Jan,

Thanks for the feedback. We have some good news on the campaign editor- we've just launched our new drag & drop email builder.

It's only in Beta at the moment, however I've added it to your account and you'll be able to use it in your next campaign.

More updates to come based on your feedback, too.

Thanks again,

Brian T.
Industry: Automotive

Small Agency ESP Review

Used Monthly for 2+ years
Reviewed on 9/11/2020

Very positive.

Pros

We use EmailOctopus for our small agency to send our newsletters and other targeted email campaigns. Their tool is extremely easy to use and is very cost efficient for small agencies that have to watch every penny. Plus the are continually adding new features to the platform which makes the value increase every quarter!

Cons

Would like the ability to create sub-accounts. And it's a bummer to pay a foreign transaction fee every month.

Fantastic low-cost email host

Reviewed on 7/25/2019

I needed an easy and inexpensive way to host email. This has done the trick and then some! Really pleasantly surprised.

Pros

Very easy to use, inexpensive. Great deliverability!

Cons

Doesn't have an easy way to segment your subscribers.

Response from EmailOctopus

Hi there,

We have some good news on segmentation - we've just launched this as a feature so you can now segment your mailing list based on custom fields and the data that's most important to your business.

Let us know how it works for you.

Thanks,

Christopher M.
Industry: Computer Software
Company size: Self Employed

Using Email octopus for newletters for my customers

Reviewed on 9/28/2020

Brilliant. The user interface is easy to use. It is clear what to do with little or no training and pretty straight forward.

Pros

I like how easy it is to drag and drop images onto newsletters. The templates are really good too.

Cons

The restrictions to the number of emails being sent can make it hard to balance my prices accordingly. I use it to put newsletters together for my clients. Effectivly i am a middle man, a one of mayment per x number of emails would be a good feature rather than a monthly subscription.

Teresa F.
Industry: Information Technology & Services

Solid free option for creating campaigns and sending newsletters

Reviewed on 8/5/2020

It was easy to start using EmailOctopus, create and send newsletters, and keep track of their stats. Wound up switching back to MailChimp because newsletters often did not reach many of the recipients with EmailOctupus.

Pros

- The free version is good enough for use in a small company
- Campaigns are easy to create, start, and track
- Mailing lists are easy to create, import, export and edit
- Easy to use, even for new users

Cons

- Emails often did not reach their target recipients
- Editor could have more features

Ashton A.

Mailchimp who?

Reviewed on 10/6/2020

Pros

I had been using mailchimp but found it very expensive for what I was getting. So I tried out EmailOctopus... and promptly cancelled my mailchimp account. It is user friendly and has great features. I can do everything I need to do without extending my budget. The pricing for what you get is AMAZING!

Cons

Have yet to find anything. I am still new but so far, so good.

Graeme F.
Industry: Design

10 mins to send an entire campaign

Reviewed on 3/11/2020

Pros

The ease of setting up Email Octopus meant I could sign up send a new campaign to 15k ppl within 10 mins.
It's very simple and easy to get started - email can be stressful, but Email Octopus makes it 100x better!

Cons

Maybe there could be API options to send email.

Daniel P.
Industry: Computer Software

Great Service!

Reviewed on 9/30/2020

I love it! I also love the customer support.

Pros

The ease of use and the transparency the service provides. Very user friendly and simple to use!

Cons

I can not think of anything off of the top.

Ian R.

I Only Use This Software Because it Works

Reviewed on 12/10/2019

I ave never really had any issues with Email Octopus and only have good things to say. If you are using something else for your email services, I highly recommend you check this out. They are easy to use, very affordable, and the service is clean/not bogged down with a bunch of stuff that no one uses.

Pros

Easy to use dashboard, all the basic features I want without all the fluff of the other software out there, and the price is WAY better than most

Cons

It can be a pain to set it up with AWS. I would recommend getting an AWS freelancer to set it up for you initially if you don't know how to work with it

Ryan B.
Industry: Higher Education
Company size: 1,001-5,000 Employees

Best Email Service Anywhere

Reviewed on 9/28/2018

Outstanding. I have so much control and flexibility to use this service for so many bulk emailing applications and I can scale up or down to mirror my busy seasons. I have been thrilled with this service for years.

Pros

I have been a user of EmailOctopus for years and have seen the company, services, and functionality grow and develop over time. The customer service has been extraordinary whenever I have had questions and I have always received highly respectful communications from this company. They know that your success makes them succeed as well so they are in your corner every step of the way and they treat customers fairly at all times.

The ease and flexibility of this web-based program are outstanding and I have made recommendations in the past that have since been implemented. What the service is now is a godsend for anyone needing to send bulk emails whether frequently or occasionally because they allow you to scale up or down to your needs, which I see as further proof of their customer first philosophy.

The setup is easy if you follow the instructions or ask for any help and once you are setup with amazon and email octopus, you can be confident that you will achieve everything you desire with this service. Best of luck to you all in future endeavors.

Cons

None Exist. Try to change my mind. This service is outstanding.

Steven W.
Industry: Religious Institutions

E-mail Octopus is a great platform

Reviewed on 8/31/2020

Overall, our experience has been great. Any time I've had a question or a problem the support center is very responsive, even factoring in the time lag because I'm in the United States and they are in Great Britain.

Pros

E-mail Octopus is very easy to use. It is an intuitive program. Over the past three years that we have been using it it has been nearly flawless. But the best thing about it is it's affordability and flexibility.

Cons

If I had to pick just one thing about the program that I would change would be on the reporting side. It gives good data about the number of opens, numbers who unsubscribe and bounces. However when they report clicks the base it not just on the number of opens but also factor in even the number who never opened the e-mail. To me, that doesn't make sense. How can you report data on someone who never even opens the e-mail.The realistic number of click throughs should be based on the actual number of the people who have opened the e-mail. That is the most accurate data a user like myself can benefit from.

Phil S.
Industry: Marketing & Advertising

The Ronseal of Email Platforms - Does exactly what it says on the tin!

Reviewed on 10/6/2020

Pros

Nutshell - AWESOME.

Ease of use. After failing to be able to achieve what we needed with a well known competitor we switched. We had spent four days trying to import our list with the competitor but were unable to due to limitations in the host software.

Cons

No landing page. Sure its fine for us, we have a website page specifically for capturing new signups but some will not have this ability. For example in the MLM world the 'rep' or 'agent' may not have or need an actual website but will absolutely need email marketing with a very simple way to capture new users. Something with a url that would allow for sharing on social networks.

Integration with Wordpress isn't very 'pretty'! We're having to use web hooks in a separate form to pass the data through automation to our audience list. The WP plugin isn't, and very probably never will be, as powerful as some of the built in tools within modern WP page builders. Unfortunately whilst the bigger guys tend to get their platforms integrated into WP plugins, it helps the plugin devs sell the product, EmailOctopus isn't current being supported. WP plugin devs, if you're reading this, make it happen!!

Jacques-louis K.
Industry: Media Production

I tried many Email services and EmailOctopus is my favorite

Reviewed on 8/14/2019

Pros

- Very low cost: EmailOctopus uses Amazon Simple Mail Service to send emails, for a fraction of the cost of other email platforms

- Integrated API: I automate my list building using EmailOctopus full featured API. I can connect EmailOctopus to my workflow

- Real-time statistics: watch in real time how your campaigns perform

- Outstanding support: I needed support to use the API and got great help from them

Cons

It lacks a list segmentation feature and the list contacts editing could be more user friendly.

Response from EmailOctopus

Hi Jacques-Louis,

Let us know how it works for you.

Thanks,

Kristian V.
Industry: Information Services

Excellent

Reviewed on 9/14/2020

Amazing. Great support, fantastic features & unbelievable ease of use.

Pros

A simple, powerful tool to automate & scale your email communication.

Cons

There are no cons. The company is growing, and progressively improving their services.

Ashleigh S.

The Perfect Solution

Reviewed on 10/15/2020

I had a suggestion for a new feature and contacted customer service. They responded within hours and were extremely friendly. I have been very pleased with this program and will definitely be recommending it to others.

Pros

I examined many email clients before selecting Email Octopus. What really made this program stand above the rest was the fact that I could have 2500 subscribers on my list and still remain on the free program.

Cons

The "Drag and Drop" feature in the email builder has a slight learning curve, but it is still much easier to use than other programs I've worked with.

Ian R.

Easy to Use and Great ROI

Reviewed on 5/2/2019

I have used Email Octopus for a couple/few years now and I have not had an issue - which is saying something. The times I had a question or two, they were responsive and helped me out. Overall great experience.

Pros

Easy to use, great pricing, support has always been responsive, and they always seem to be improving things. I like the clear and easy dashboard that isn't cluttered with all sorts of stuff that I don't need.

Cons

Integrations with other software is a bit limited.

Ryan A.
Industry: Political Organization

EmailOctopus is my go-to solution for mass emailing.

Reviewed on 10/6/2020

Fast. Reliable. Responsive. Very satisfied.

Pros

The software and the team behind it are fast, reliable, and responsive. I work in politics and things need to happen quickly to be impactful, which is why EmailOctopus is my go-to solution when I need to get a message out and get a report back on how well it was received.

Cons

I would add more data fields to list importing so I could segment better to one list.

Industry: Real Estate

The BEST Email Platform for "Large Audience" Campaigns for Starter Businesses

Reviewed on 9/28/2018

I have had a wonderful experience, as for this pricing, there is no service I've found that can "go fast" from the get go and start sending large quantities of mail to your lists.

Pros

The number 1 key of this software is their unique ability to plug into your Amazon Email Platform account. This allows you to send out MANY MANY more emails on a daily basis than any other platform I have come across. Not to mention the ease of ability to upload the lists from wherever you have built them before.

Cons

The biggest difficulty is that there are not comprehensive statistics set up in the back office to individually see what emails are opening and reading your emails. Or the ones that are clicking. That is a step down from where I was before.

Mo C.
Company size: Self Employed

EmailOctopus is the best value for email marketing hands down!

Reviewed on 9/29/2018

EmailOctopus lets me email by list affordably, quickly, and easily. It enabled me to reach my customers regularly with a high deliverability rate, virtually no spam complaints (EmailOctopus is integrated with Amazon SES) , and the price cannot be beat. Forget the rest and use EmailOctopus!

Pros

EmailOctopus is easy to use, has a clean and simple to use interface, and has the best price for email marketing that makes it affordable. I tried many other competitors, and EmailOctopus is the best by far.

Cons

I'd like to see the ability to segment email lists and more ready-to-use templates.

Pete S.
Industry: Nonprofit Organization Management

EmailOctopus is a Great Inexpensive Option Among a Field of Competitors Pricing Out Small Nonprofits

Reviewed on 9/10/2020

It has been easy, affordable, and effective to get our email campaigns going with EmailOctopus. It really is the right solution for us.

Pros

It is the price and simplicity that drew me to EmailOctopus and make it the right solution for our organization. While it lacks some of the advanced features of competitors like MailChimp and Constant Contact, it has the features that we need to manage our email campaigns. List management, simple segmentation, basic email campaigns, and a simple editor that makes it easy to create good looking emails is exactly what we needed.

Cons

I wish that we could do a little more with the custom fields in the member lists. For example, you can't include dynamic content based on a field on a subscriber's profile except for the contents of the field itself.

Scott M.
Company size: Self Employed

Exceelent option for editorial newsletters

Reviewed on 5/2/2019

I use EmailOctopus to send monthly editorial email newsletters, and it excels at this. I'm able to have total control over the aesthetic of the emails I send, and the dashboard isn't cluttered with marketing features that I'll never use. All the other services I tested and compared either imposed their own aesthetic on the user, or offered full customization but were bloated with marketing features – or both. EmailOctopus is ideal for my use case.

Pros

EmailOctopus dispenses with all the tools for marketers that other services offer and focuses on a simple but crucial set of features: straightforward list management, fine-grained control over templating, clear workflow, sensible analytics that don't veer into creepy surveillance territory.

Cons

All that said, there are a couple features that would be nice to have: embedded subscription forms that don't need jQuery, and a CSS inlining tool for building custom templates (many others are available; it would just be nice to have it all in one place).

Kehinde A.
Industry: Computer & Network Security

Email Octopus For Easy Emailing

Used Weekly for 1+ year
Reviewed on 5/2/2019

I use it for email marketing; list building, automation and broadcasting messages to my existing list.

Pros

Simplicity of the User Interface, AWS Integration and Delivery quality.

Cons

The price farely high given to the fact that I still have to pay AWS.

Tj M.

Breaking up with ML was the best thing I did

Reviewed on 5/2/2019

I can't say enough good things about them. From the moment I decided to use their service and ongoing. When I have had a question or issue, they respond almost immediately (time zones:). They listen and respond directly. My email open and click rates have improved SIGNIFICANTLY since changing providers and my SPAM complaints have dropped as well.

Pros

I like that this service is easy to use, intuitive, and comes with a great cost in comparison to other providers. Every feature has clear guidelines and tutorials if you don't already understand how it works. My emails are clean, responsive and attractive without being garish or too cluttered.

Cons

There are some features that it would be good to have, such as list-scrubbing features to prevent adding members who are already subscribed, and to resend to people who did not open an email. BUT- the company is very responsive and has been developing new features that they have been implementing!