Showing 32 reviews of 19

Showing 32 reviews of 19
Saurav C.
  • Industry: Environmental Services
  • Company size: 5,001-10,000 Employees

Helped me immensely with analyzing netcdf data files

Reviewed on 2020-04-03

I am working with Geographical data that has latitudes, longitudes and a variable I am trying to analyze. This is a great tool to have for such data structure.

Pros

I was introduced to Panoply by a colleague. I was trying to analyze a bunch of climate variables that were in netcdf format. Before I could write a code in Matlab to analyze the data, I needed to know the data structure. For this I have used a combination of F77 and Matlab in the past. However, I wanted to exclude Fortran and have a more convenient way of knowing the basic data structure. Matlab was more powerful with the actual analysis but not with the pre processing. This is where Panoply came in handy. All I had to do was upload the netcdf data file directly into panoply and boom. It gave me the basic structure that includes the number of data points, latitudes and longitudes of the data points and other essential details I needed.

Cons

I did not come across any problem in particular for the 2+ years I have used Panoply. Sometimes, It did take a little long to load it if the netcdf file I was working with was a large file but it was not a big deal. Panoply actually was immensely helpful in knowing the data structure of the variable type for which I followed a much more complex procedure in the past before I used Panoply.

• Company size: 501-1,000 Employees

The power of a data warehouse in minutes

Reviewed on 2018-05-23

I managed to setup the data warehouse for a large company (3000+ employees) in just a couple of months (mainly getting accesses and defining which sources to use).
Not only we are saving money from other un-managed solutions, but we are also saving from the development and maintenance time required to build an in-house solution.

Pros

Forget about building and maintaining a data warehouse in-house (with all its ETLs).
You can get up and running in just 5 minutes with a lot of pre-built integrations, and amazing customer support.
And with it's flexible pricing model, it makes Panoply a no-brainer for both small and large enterprises.

Cons

The web UI/UX needs more work, it can be slow, and there are many features that are only available on request from the backend (history tables, ssh tunnel for connections, etc.).
The replication frequency is rather limited (down to 1hr only), and the lack of change log replication is a big cons (e.g. MongoDB chagelog or Postgres replication log).

Robert C.

Great service and response time, queries timeout sometimes.

Reviewed on 2018-05-31

ETL from Mongo to Redshift, ability to integrate with data from many internal tools (Mixpanel, Twilio, ZenDesk, Asana, etc.), running performance-intensive queries.

Pros

I love the service and response time from Alon and crew. They are always on top of it. I also like the materialized views functionality and our custom integration with Twilio.

Cons

I don't like that I can't materialize views in Panoply if I'm not the dbadmin. I also have had frustrations with queries timing out in our data visualization tool, although that's improved recently. I'd also like multifactor auth available in the UI in Panoply.

Elana F.

Easy to set up and maintain VPC

Reviewed on 2020-06-17

Pros

Panoply is very easy to set up and entirely obfuscates the ETL process.

Cons

When I had issues with data loading it was very difficult to troubleshoot and had to talk to support many times and eventually also a data architect.

• Used Monthly for 1+ year

Good product; among the worst service I have every encountered

Reviewed on 2020-04-14

Pros

Easy to setup, with minimal technical skill required.

Cons

Tricky renewal process and absolute inflexibility. Charged us for an additional 12 month contract for unused product after auto-renewal. Product generally good, but I would caution to watch billing like a HAWK.

Response from Panoply

Sorry you had this experience. We are always striving to improve and appreciate the feedback.

Nathan patrick T.
  • Company size: 5,001-10,000 Employees

Panoply gets the job done!

Reviewed on 2020-04-30

The support team behind Panoply is very helpful. We've used the on-site chat function to get immediate help. We've also submitted questions through traditional routes like email. All of which were answered quickly.

Pros

The speed to solution is a big win for us. We were able to get a full data pipeline up in running in less than half a day. That's with various data sources and incremental refresh. The UI is easy to use.

Cons

There aren't really any cons. The platform is in its infancy and I can tell that the team is listening to user feedback and already making updates.

Noam P.

Panoply is a great product that helps in WH management as well as optimization.

Reviewed on 2018-05-23

Pros

Query optimization is great and all behind the scenes.
Views automatic materialization is great and enable me to create very complicated views without considering runtime.
support representatives are very responsive and usually very helpful.
In general, very flexible company that always to get better and answers it's clients needs

Cons

Web platform can be built better
Materialization processes have some problem sometimes (downtime) and are not visible properly on the platform

Jacklyn A.

The easiest way to get started with data management.

Reviewed on 2018-01-15

Was able to stop leaking data and made it easily accessible without going into sticker shock.

Pros

Panoply is easy to use and doesn't require a lot of work to get started. Without a database manager I was able to connect and save all of my data. Able to use SQL instead of crashing my computer for reports and segmentation.

Cons

Organizing folders can be difficult if you didn't plan ahead because you can't select more than one at a time. Also difficult to search for information and it is slow when going in and out of folders.

Teja S.

Best Value for Money

Reviewed on 2018-05-22

We could gain the insights we are looking from various sources using Panoply

Pros

Panoply is the best investment we have made so far. For a company our size(100-200 employees), and a company that cannot invest too much money in BI infrastructure yet, Panoply not only maintains the infrastructure but also provides the best customer support and data architect to gain insights from various sources. I have already recommended panoply to a few of my contacts.

Cons

Restriction on the number of admins to 1.

• Industry: Computer & Network Security

Panoply Makes Warehousing Easy for Most Users

Reviewed on 2019-02-03

Overall, Panoply is a great option for short-term or non-technical projects, but may not be best for more advanced teams.

Pros

Panoply finally offers non-technical users an easy and affordable way to warehouse data, pipe it to the right tools, and not deal with the hassle of new warehouse creation, view generation, or ETL. The interface is intuitive enough to not need support during setup, and data is accurately reflected in the warehouse within hours. Several adaptors to other services are supported out of the box.

Cons

Panoply works well for limited warehousing applications, but if you have technical resources available and/or need good long-term storage, other warehousing solutions may be best. Panoply has many native cloud integrations, but several require 3rd party solutions like Stitch, increasing cost and complexity.

• Industry: Consumer Goods

Redshift without the Maintenance

Reviewed on 2018-05-28

Pros

This is the perfect solution for those who want to use amazon redshift but don't want to manage a cluster. Panoply automagically creates indexes and optimizes your DB as you add data

Cons

The software is still new, so I occasionally run across a bug or 2. These are typically minor and fixed quickly.

Alejandro M.

Very easy to set up, connect to our services and consume the data. I love their customer...

Reviewed on 2018-05-29

Pros

- Ease of setting up
- Simplicity
- Customer service is very close every trimester
- Integrations to other platforms

Cons

At the begining it was hard to conect to Microsoft Azure and the development of this took time, after this, everything were as expected

• Used Daily for Free Trial

Great for non-engineers

Reviewed on 2019-04-07

Pros

Panoply has a LOT of connectors to third-party tools

Cons

Does not support common formats like Parquet, making it clear that this was built for non-engineers

Adir R.

A great service to connect all your data sources to and analyze them together

Reviewed on 2018-05-23

Pros

It's really easy to start and add various data sources. You can then create connections between data sources and start building custom reports that show you insights and valuable data.

Cons

The biggest con I can think about is the lack of built-in visualization tools. At the moment if you want to see your data visually you must use an external software. Hoping they would get around to adding it soon!

Rory B.
  • Industry: Entertainment

The best managed AWS solution

Reviewed on 2018-07-28

Pros

For our purposes, they worked out cheaper than an out-of-the-box AWS integration, but they offered ELT and excellent customer support as a bonus.

Cons

They don't have as many ELT connectors as companies like Fivetran and Stitch, but what they do have works very effectively.

Signing on with Panoply is like getting a whole engineering team's worth of output for cheap

Reviewed on 2018-05-24

The ability to manage our data in one central store.

Pros

It does something that is sorely needed in the market -- a way to manage large amounts of data in one central store without needing tons of in-house expertise. Getting set up could not have been easier and working with data in Panoply is easy. I have no regrets about signing up.

Cons

Redshift SQL is a little bit annoying, but that has nothing to do with Panoply and their service. It will be interesting to see if they expand to other warehouses in the future.

Hugh S.
  • Used Other for 1+ year

Never worked for us, management incredibly rude and confrontational

Reviewed on 2018-08-19

I would not recommend doing business with their company unless you have a ridiculously simple use case (for example, our use of nosql databases seemed to be outside their typical use case) and you are OK with their management team being rude and unhelpful. (The support team seems friendly enough but struggles to handle complex cases or smaller ACVs from our experience).

Pros

If it worked for our use case I'm sure the product would be great. However our experience was that there was a lot of promises during the sales process but it turned out that we couldn't actually use the product – for reasons on both sides. They insisted that we pay for it for 14 months anyway though.

Cons

Their management team (someone in the C suite) sent some of the rudest emails I have ever received.

When we were unable to use the product because it wasn't able to sufficiently support our use case or have adequate protections for our private/secure data, they went from friendly to incredibly rude and confrontational.

They were unable to accept that a customer who got zero use or value from the product (which they'd be able to demonstrate with internal metrics) wasn't likely to love the product or recommend it to others.