4.4
Derek S.

SolarWinds RMM (formerly N-Able) is a great RMM tool

Used Monthly for 2+ years
Reviewed on 3/14/2020

Great solution for an RMM tool. The management of the alerts and system is the best overall of the competitors. Would recommend as long as the PSA tool links to it well.

Pros

Very intuitive interface and easy to learn. Easy to navigate and manage individual endpoints and quiet noisy alerts. Great integration with direct hardware monitoring as well.

Cons

Remote access software has historically been an additional feature. Very competitive market and some aspects are not the "best" in the market, including remotely connecting to computers. SolarWinds is also only breaking into the PSA market so there is not a direct connecting service to link on day 1 without looking at other vendors.

Chris B.
Industry: Transportation/Trucking/Railroad

A decent mix with different tools

Reviewed on 9/9/2020

Their platform has absolutely put us in a better position for supporting our users working across multiple locations and offices.

Pros

Solarwinds is building a very broad set of tools helping MSPs and admins manage corporate IT users, networks, and assets. I really like that a big part of their strategy consists of recurring available trainings of not only their own software, but best practices. I have already learned a great deal working with their platform.

Cons

They are still growing and adding on. It sometimes gets a little frustrating that all the toolsets are not directly integrated into their RMM platform.

Marcio P.
Industry: Information Technology & Services

Nice to have all your customers in one place

Reviewed on 12/7/2019

Customer service is hard to reach and slow to respond

Pros

The fact that I have all my customer computers in one place

Cons

Updates fail constantly and the reason is not clear. Also it doesn't work with trendmicro antivirus which is my solution

Response from SolarWinds MSP

We're sorry to hear you've experienced some challenges with customer service as we always strive to deliver the best service experience possible. This obviously wasn't what you experienced and that's troublesome. We will reach out to you shortly to hopefully assist you further.

Likelihood to recommend: 5.0/10

Darell B.
Industry: Computer & Network Security

Solar Winds is a Great addition to any technician doing remote monitoring and management

Reviewed on 9/9/2020

My overall experience has been positive as the software is a setup and forget automation for updates and detection of harmful software or sites on your client computers

Pros

I like the dash board setup and being able to select features for all my clients or individually. The antivirus software detection's are very accurate without false positive infections. The reporting feature can be scheduled and sent to clients emails concerning alerts or problems.

Cons

The software is a little frustrating to get setup and monitoring sometimes errors occur but when you work through the issues the software does an outstanding job of watching your clients

Javier G.
Industry: Information Technology & Services

You don't need to spend more money elsewhere

Reviewed on 7/11/2019

Pros

The main pro for us has been that it is pay what you use. Many other RMM tools will lock you into 3 year contracts and make you buy hundreds of seats and you will pay for them regardless if you use them or not. We loved that the remote control tool was based on Teamviewer

Cons

The initial interface was kind of clunky. And we really didn't like when they changed the remote control client. We've gotten used to it now though.

Danny M.
Industry: Food & Beverages

Amazing remote manamgement software

Reviewed on 10/28/2019

Pros

I love how simple it is to manage my systems with this software. I can remotely control every single endpoint in my organisation, pull an assest list when I need it, keep an eye on virus threats and even deploy virus protection all via a simple interface

Cons

The only additional feature I'd like to see is the ability to freeze the remote display, so the user cannot see what actions are being performed, like entering sensetive parts of systems etc.

Nigel Z.

Great features and value

Reviewed on 10/30/2019

I am able to keep the clients I have engaged and continue to service them with other IT needs. It works great for improving the client's performance and increasing my bottom line.

Pros

I like that this software is cost effective for a startup and can expand with many features to use. I can be sure that the clients have their machines up and running all the time.

Cons

I would like the software to have an option for the client to cancel a reboot of their machine.

Rex S.
Industry: Computer & Network Security

It is WORTH a Consideration!!!

Reviewed on 3/7/2019

SolarWinds has a great solutions and been happy with the support. They give generous discounts and allow very attractive solutions to provide more features and products to our clients. Its a new solution, so they have issues, but they do seem to take care of them rapidly. If something does not seem to work for us they will discount it, and allow us to integrate it slowly. The price is attractive and a consideration for anyone in the MSP RMM or MSSP business.

Pros

Starting using SolarWinds shortly after they offered a reseller solution for RMM and MSP's. The features are wide and the prices is mostly on par with other mid tear offerings. The ease of loading the remote client software is good, and better than many others. The broad range of addons is nice, but can be costly fast! Tailoring to each client is what we do, so we add the features based on the broadest range of use of that feature.

We spend many weeks evaluating RMM software. Coming from more costly software solutions to SolarWinds we felt that for many of the clients we had, they offered to most advanced solutions which could grow with us. The reporting features, and remote monitoring, and the anti-spyware was key features we needed. Recommend SolarWinds for any level MSP or MSSP.

Cons

The user interface needs work to be easier for entry level staff. The reporting details in some modules seem to be incomplete. The cost structure for each item, needs to be redone. Very hard to determine exact pricing for wholesale cost versus retail selling price.

Aaron B.
Industry: Computer Networking

It does the job

Reviewed on 2/11/2020

We primarily use SloarWinds RMM to manage the computers of our clients so they don't have to worry about those things.

Pros

SolarWinds RMM does a decent enough job connecting to remote computers and allowing us to see what is going on with every computer.

Cons

What I like least about SolarWinds RMM is that there is a consistent request to update the remote software on my computer. It seems that at least once a day this is happening, often breaking my workflow in the process.

Matthew S.

Solarwinds RMM Review

Reviewed on 1/6/2020

We have been using Solarwinds RMM for quite a while now and have been very happy with they business relationship we have formed, easy, cost effective RMM with loads of features.

Pros

This RMM is cost effective and web based, no need to install a bunch of software to use it. The ability to turn on components as you want to upgrade and grow is brilliant.

Cons

I have to say I cannot think of anything that I like the least.

James W.
Industry: Information Services

Solid software with good function, but not perfect.

Reviewed on 10/23/2019

We've been using this dashboard for a long time and it does everything light solid antivirus for my residential clients up to medium scale commercial asset tracking and maintenance operations.

Pros

The single pane of glass to manage antivirus, backups, in detail alerts, and asset tracking is really nice. I use it to manage nearly a thousand workstations and have used it since it was called "hound dog RMM"

Cons

several parts have a fair amount of hassle to set up and administer, notably the antivirus installation and patch management. Alert status is always green or red, there's no functionality to have a "low priority issue", so I have to treat every failed check as a possible emergency. I'd like to be able to say something like "if the backup is one day out of date, mark it yellow, 2 days mark red" or something like that.

Bill B.
Company size: Self Employed

There is no perfect RMM tool

Used Other for 6-12 months
Reviewed on 9/14/2018

Solarwinds was one of my stops on the way to the perfect RMM system. After trialing a number of them for months, I learned there is no perfect RMM. Each one has different strengths and weaknesses. Solarwinds RMM is strong on usability, integration, and pricing. They were, when I trialed it over a year ago, weak on patching and to a lesser degree, automation.

Pros

The trial period is a full 30 days. The sales and support teams are available to help with setup questions and problems during that time. My experience with sales was overall positive - they were not pushy.

The product is cloud hosted, no option for self-hosting (they offer another RMM that can be.) The monitoring agent is unobtrusive on the target PCs. It's possible to remotely manage most of what you need to manage on a workplace PC. They offer integrated AV which is a must for MSPs. A documents-only backup is also available, although for full system backups you will need to use theirs or another add-on backup application.

A large body of knowledge is available online, much of it from the days when the individual components were stand-alone companies. Once you learn the history of SW RMM, you can find answers to most problems in forums and blog posts. I can't comment on their phone support, as I only used it once or twice.

I thought the pricing was quite fair. You can easily charge enough per PC to make the RMM cost small change. They offer month-to-month billing, which is great for small startups.

Cons

Running tasks and scripts is anything but real time. You might wait hours to learn if a script had run or not, or what the output was. Patch management gave the appearance of being complete and granular, but again, for me, confidence in the actual state of systems was not there, needed lots of double checking. AV and backup were reliable.

Matthew C.
Industry: Information Technology & Services

Does what it says no exaggeration.

Reviewed on 10/13/2019

Pros

The software does exactly what the sales team say.

Cons

None really. Issues are with post sales team have them set up your accounting correctly the first time.

Jim M.
Industry: Retail
Company size: 1,001-5,000 Employees

SolarWinds Monitoring Tool

Reviewed on 7/30/2019

I would recommend to start with one or two features and add others to reduce the overall impact of its initial rollout and use

Pros

This software will monitor just about anything on your network (except for the coffee pot). Server status is its best known function. You can set parameters for the monitoring both local and devices over the network.
Other features available are anti-virus, help desk, notifications, etc

Cons

With all of the options available for this software, the screen can become busy.

Kevin E.
Company size: Self Employed

Powerful, but complex monitoring and backup

Reviewed on 9/21/2018

I'm using the software to monitor and back up business servers across multiple clients. Other than an outage due to the removal of less secure SSL and TLS protocols from the servers I monitor, the software has been solid. In the case of the outage, support stuck with me for quite some time over multiple sessions to make sure the issue was resolved. TOP MARKS FOR SUPPORT!!

Pros

A wide array of sensors to monitor servers and workstations. A powerful dashboard provides a quick look at the state of systems being monitored. Integrated file and SQL backup and antivirus provides a one stop shop for protection and monitoring.

Cons

It can be challenging to resolve issues when they arise with the software, or underlying issues that affect the software. Given the complexity and nature of it, this can be expected to an extent.

Likelihood to recommend: 7.0/10

Carl K.
Industry: Computer Networking

Long Time User

Reviewed on 9/11/2019

Scheduled automated reboots, seeing issues before they become major problems.

Pros

It's easy to use and deploy and is packed with functionality.

Cons

Nothing that comes to mind at the moment - I'm satisfied with it.

Louis B.
Company size: Self Employed

An all-in-one solution for providing IT monitoring

Reviewed on 10/15/2019

This platforms allows me to manage about 50 customers with more than 20 servers and 100 desktops from one single location. Thanks to the remote access feature, I can solve more than 80% of my customer problems without having to go onsite.

Pros

Complete solution: rich monitoring features including SW updates management and backups
Easy to deploy: o need to spend lots of time reading the documentation
Flexible: it does what you need to do

Cons

Nothing really!
The backup/restore option could probably be more user friendly
The Android version is a bit disapointing today

Jacob R.
Industry: Information Technology & Services

Great for small to medium sized MSPs

Reviewed on 8/26/2019

Pros

The ease of use, and how everything just works.

Cons

I wish there was more integration with their ticketing software.

Network monitoring tool with a lot of information to help you track your environment

Reviewed on 3/9/2018

Pros

The tool has a lot of features out of the box with the basic module purchased - add the nodes of your environment and collect historical data on them. The main features make network monitoring and tracking simple - with stats and graphs. Reporting is also great for giving to managers. Excellent support when calling in.

Cons

Out of the box a simple setup, each module though becomes pricey for small/medium businesses - each comes with it's own maintenance plan. Reporting takes some knowledge of SQL for setting up the reporting profiles and can be confusing.

Simon E.
Industry: Mechanical or Industrial Engineering

Remote Monitoring made easy

Reviewed on 9/7/2018

Overall and cost effective solution for monitoring systems which normally would be a manual process.

Pros

Extremely easy to deploy with default agent settings you setup in minutes. Advanced users can customise the alerts, monitor events of any type. Email alerts on failures. Other addon's can be added to the console such as patch management, antivirus, backup and more.

Cons

If I had to pick something I would say occasionally (once a year if that) the agent service would need a restart as the server would stop reporting it. You still get notified of this so not a massive problem.

Pretty awesome stuff

Reviewed on 11/5/2019

Great software, we implement it for all our contracted customers and use it on a daily basis. :)

Pros

What i like most about SolarWinds RMM is the the integration of multiple software solutions in one location. Also the SSO to other RMM software like Backup is great.
The option to use Take Control is something we use everyday to support our contracted customers.

Cons

Little things like not beeing able to backup an SQL server on a normal pc, you'd need a server installation for that. and then also pay the price of the server.
Also, the RMM console is a bit slow at times.

Dillon D.

Best IT Management Software

Reviewed on 9/20/2019

My experience is great so far - definitely worth the buck.

Pros

Patch Management
IT Asset Management
Control
Reporting

Cons

nothing that comes to mind - the product so far fulfills all the needs

Brian H.
Industry: Information Technology & Services

Easy to use with all the functionality needed

Reviewed on 6/5/2017

This software helped us reduce the time needed to manage and confirm our customers backups and be more proactive for our clients.

Pros

We really enjoy the ease of use of this product, we're able to securely monitor all our customers workstation and be more proactive. The patch management system and take control features are a must for any small MSP companies starting out. Their capped server and workstation fee's are great so you know exactly how much you will be billed.

Cons

We do have some issues with the Vulnerability scanners not always scanning or sending us the data. We would like more custom reports settings available and more functionality with the managed anti virus.

John Z.

funtionality

Reviewed on 11/11/2019

Back Up & recovery
Remote Support
Path mgmnt
Security

Pros

Teh functinallity , reports and easy to set up and use , multiplatform is one of the best features

Cons

Does not have a help desk & ticketing support dashboard integrated

Response from SolarWinds MSP

Thanks for your feedback! A reminder that SolarWinds RMM and MSP Manager integrate seamlessly to create a one-stop shop for remote monitoring and maintenance to ticketing, reporting, and billing. This makes it simple to create and manage tickets from the dashboard, remote directly into a device from a ticket, create workflow rules and more. It's a big time-saver for busy techs. Feel free to reach out if you would like more information!

Robert B.

Highly Recommended

Reviewed on 3/15/2018

Monitoring made easy.

Pros

I have used Solarwinds RMM for 3 1/2 years, the program has changed hands many times. I like the integration with teamviewer, makes monitoring workstations and servers extremely easily. I don't think I could manage customers without RMM.

Cons

Support isn't the best, not timely and often you do not get the solution you are looking for, they need to clean up and update their online guides.