Backlog

Online project management tool for developers

4.5/5
Customer Support Software

Ivan B.

• Customer Support Software

backlog.com better than many "Goliath" systems

Reviewed on 2018-10-30

We use backlog.com as overall tracking and project management tool for our projects, support tasks and maintenance activities that we provide to our customer. We selected backlog.com after evaluating many other tools (like Jira, Pivotal tracker etc.) and backlog.com became the clear winner. Why ? Because this tool combine together the best features of all other tool while still being neat and straightforward. Backlog.com has been proving it at our daily use for 1 year approximately. Well done. Thank you.

Pros

neat design supporting easy of use
all necessary functions available on-click
excellent for agile approach
clear and easy administration of projects, people etc.
integration with email and MS Excel (exports)
subtasking
no-time to get started and leverage the tool by users
fast and responsive design
standalone application for iOS

Cons

nothing essential
maybe more storage space included in plans
better numbering of subtasks (to include number of parent issue)

• Customer Support Software

Excellent ,easy to adopt,easy to use

Reviewed on 2019-02-11

We are using the Backlog tool on 2 projects with a total of c. 30 people involved. For one of those, it is used solely as an issue tracker. For the other one, it is used as the main tool for managing the project( keeping the track of backlog items, version, milestones, question, improvements....) Wiki is widely used for changelogs and manuals. Project documentation is stored in the Files section.
The whole team ( especially the upper management) is really satisfied with the tool and we will keep on using it for upcoming projects.
It also has gained some traction in the entire company so other teams are using it with the same results and satisfaction.

Pros

- easy to use
- Wiki functionality
- ability to add a custom category and issue types
- dashboard and recent activity
- search functionality works excellent
- support team

Cons

- lacks the ability to add custom status for issues (starter plan)
- mail notifications are sent to the assignees only, but not the one notified in the notify field

Mathieu L.

Great tool for product dev

Reviewed on 2020-05-08

Issues are now well qualified, documented, categorized, with priority, easy to focus on what needs to be done

Pros

This is a great tool to organize dev, see how it goes, what needs to be done, who's in charge of what. It really helped me to make my projects live and faster than before using this great tool

Cons

I wish the mobile app would have been more developed to have the same features as on web version

Deny P.
  • Industry: Outsourcing/Offshoring

Common software in Japanese Company

Reviewed on 2019-02-11

I use this software maintaining the offshore project from Japan, this software mostly good, never hang or shut down, because this software conduct the maintenance after the office work.

Overall this software is good for maintaining the projects.

Pros

1. We can attach project file into the software.
2. We can track by the project category.

Cons

The interface not so attractive, that's why Japanese people mostly like this software.

Miguel G.
  • Industry: Graphic Design Software

Feature rich project management program

Reviewed on 2018-04-15

The features I found in Backlog are often those you only get to experience in the higher-end products. Backlog provides multiple subscription levels that provide various features based on your organization's needs. The features are distributed among these subscriptions in a smart way, allowing you move between these levels as needed. It has an intuitive design and is quite easy to use.

Pros

Backlog offers 5 account levels, including a free version that provides plenty of its features to take it for a spin. Feature rich project management tool that does more than just manage stories and tasks at a project level. Competitive pricing includes issue tracking, code review, collaboration, and much more. One of exceptional benefit that exceeded my expectation was the inclusion of a Wiki, something that most project management tools do not include or charge extra for access. This is a big plus for development teams. Track milestones, store files, and much more from an affordable tool that does not nickle and dime you. Easy to setup and use. Great dashboard for an overall view of your projects... very functional.

Cons

Cannot really test out some of the features in the higher subscriptions unless you upgrade. But maybe worth the shot, as their price levels are not all that bad. As with any tool that has increased features and capabilities, there is a bit of a learning curve when compared to other products.

New Custom Software Tester

Reviewed on 2020-10-20

Pros

Last year, I started working as an [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] at [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN]. [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] is a custom software company and before I started here, I had no experience in the field. I started testing to learn more about the development side and was then introduced to Backlog. Backlog has helped make the learning process smooth for me. As someone who enjoys lists, this site is great. It helps me prioritize and communicate thoroughly.

Cons

I wish I use use multiple filters. For example, under the category "not closed" I am trying to test just the ones listed as "bugs" so I have it filtered to show me just the bugs under this category. But I also want to go from oldest to newest but when I click that, it shows me all of the issues in that order.

Vito M.
  • Industry: Government Administration

Excellent for bug tracking

Reviewed on 2019-06-10

Pros

Backlog enables you to register and track bugs on your system, being an agile and easy-to-use tool for any type of user. It has several options for bug tracking, from version and tag specifics to a wiki for quick reference and consistency of information. In addition, the ability to include users to be notified about a bug's resolution, without necessarily being the creator or assignee, is very good and functional!

Cons

While creating an issue, if the company has already standardized a way to include them, Backlog does not indicate if a bug has already been registered, causing the multi-user test routine to become a bit messy and / or repetitive if they do not check the list before including the issue.

Chiara G.
  • Industry: Telecommunications

Chiara

Reviewed on 2020-10-06

It is good compared to other product ex. Jira

Pros

I like that is easy to use but some features have to be more accurate.

Cons

It is not always easy to understand where you are. There are a lot of functionalities but not always are clear

Angus J.

Simple and does what you need it to

Reviewed on 2018-12-04

Pros

Easy to use and allows our team to do what we need to without getting in the way.

Cons

A few additional QoL additions onto the features that are already here would be great (such as multiple assignees).

Good software

Reviewed on 2020-06-30

Pros

Easy to use, nice workflow and great bug tracking

Cons

Doesn't have a great text editor on the issues

Johan V.
  • Industry: Airlines/Aviation
  • Company size: 1,001-5,000 Employees

Easy to Use

Reviewed on 2019-01-15

Easy to keep track of activities, easy to assign new users,

Pros

Daily tracking of activities, when they are due and/or overdue
Daily report

Cons

Would like to see a more MSP-like display of the project plan and Gantt chart

Bonnie B.

Backlog Review

Reviewed on 2019-03-11

Pros

Easy to use, the UI is attractive too as i can have different Theme for different Project

Cons

Print of Project List into Excel, all the Description of task are not included

• Used Weekly for Free Trial

Great Option

Reviewed on 2019-04-22

Pros

Ease of use and handling. Easy to create new projects.

Cons

Linking tickets to an Epic is not available just like JIRA

Carla D.

• Customer Support Software

Wonderful project management program!

Reviewed on 2018-02-15

Pros

This product is easy to use and very functional. It is great for beginners and expert users alike.

Cons

Not being able to cc other users to add them to the group. This would be helpful to have in order to cut down on the time it takes to involve other users.

Đặng H.

• Customer Support Software

Backlog need to be changed and improved

Reviewed on 2019-02-11

Sorry but the truth is inconvenience for me. I hope Backlog can do more for me and my project.
I can't have the statistics I want at Home, I can't see overall my project ...
I Hope Backlog can be developed and help us more in the future.

Pros

The color of issue can be changed, I can customize the characteristics of issue for each project.

Cons

when I filter all issue of project , it shows parents issue and sub-issue. If I click on the arrow, which is head of parent issue, Backlog shows all of sub-issue of that parent issue, which are showed before. So many issues are showed twice. It can make me confused.
I think Backlog shoud list parent issue and issue has no parent issue. About issue has parent issue, you can hide and when user click on the arrow, it can be showed.

Milan K.

After months using free version for 1 project we successfully moved to paid version for all...

Reviewed on 2020-06-17

We track not only reported issues/incidents, but also the planned project tasks to have overview who is working on and what is the backlog of all unassigned tasks.
The main benefit is to not have projects information in several excel or project files but in one place. Also our status meetings with our teams are faster and more effective.

Pros

Easy to setup and use including graphic differentiation and access rights for individual projects (customer logo and colors).
No training required for users in our company who adopted this tool very fast.
In addition, GantChart is really usable with several options for grouping, automatic issue creation from email is also useful to support our clients and track how our internal specialists perform. Internal wiki is also used in our company to document not only the knowledges and technical information to be shared with others in the team, but also the meeting minutes related to our projects - everything stored and available in one place.
The mobile application also works as expected.

Cons

It is not possible to create links/relations in GantChart helping to display dependencies and reschedule the project tasks when something happen - now all issues have to be moved manually.
Navigation in wiki would be enhanced little bit.

Hai N.

Some Uncomfortable

Reviewed on 2018-12-17

Very good expect 2 thinks above

Pros

- Grantt chart and burndown chart..

Cons

1. It's "Copy custom Fields From other Project" in [Project Settings] -> [Custom Field]
=> I dont know why "(※ Relation with issue types not copied)". It's very uncomfortable for me and someone manage like me.
=> Our Company have Standard Custom Field for all Project about 100 Custom FIled and some Custom Issue Type. When I Open the new Project , I just wanna Copy all Custom Field and Issue Type from Old Project.
But not like this, just copy Customfield and Availabes all Issue types. After that, I must to click 1 by 1 to fix, or delete. It's take many time from me. how long i will spent for fix that with 100 custom Field and Custom Issue Type????
Please think about that. and fix this
I just want to Copy all Custom Field + Issue Type from the old Project to New Project. and button delete all Custom Field
2. It's Add a Group of member to Old/Archive Project.
=> It's very hard. I have alrd 100+ project archive and click 1 by 1 to add a Group member. so bad.really bad.
Please add a Button add a Group of member to all Project or atleast let our choose list project to add.

Nguyen N.

• Customer Support Software

Good services with the best price

Reviewed on 2018-09-25

I did use backlog in 4 years, and It good for my company with more than 120 users, and run 30 project at the same time

Pros

Cons

need add more than status check (current status: open, In progress, Resolved, Closed) need add more (Review)

Mendy D.
  • Industry: Insurance Software

Backlog helped my team with organization

Reviewed on 2020-06-16

Pros

My team is using this product to log issues about a new website we are running live. We are able to each submit issues, whether it's an urgent item that has to be fixed or just a suggestion on something we would like to see changed. It keeps us from double logging our issues because we can see all of the issues daily and our IT person can log and communicate the status on each issue. It seems to be helping us stay organized on what items are priorities.

Cons

I don't like that you have to click on the issue to see the latest comments on it. I wish it would display the latest comment like a preview of an email will.

• Company size: 501-1,000 Employees

Good tool overall for bug tracking

Reviewed on 2019-09-12

Overall pretty solid with great features to keep everyone growing the boat in the same direction!

Pros

Backlog is a fairly simple and intuitive platform that gives the full development/product teams visibility into bugs reported by the business and allows for simple, seamless prioritization.

Cons

It's cool that Backlog offers iPhone and Android apps but they're a little diminished feature-wise compared to the full app. Still pretty handy though!

Praveen S.

Product for Monitoring Product Activities

Reviewed on 2020-04-29

My experience with Backlog was excellent as we were looking for tool to monitor our product development. As we were a startup company we have limited source on funds and came across with backlog which supports our cause. We appreciate Nulabs for providing us their platform for supporting our team in our product development, And would definitely would be recommend Backlog.

Pros

Ease to Use, Team Member were able to use it on their own without any support, Quick response for support from backlog team.

Cons

Nothing as such , would suggest that if you could simplify use of filters.

Hernan A.
  • Industry: Telecommunications

A must in UAT stage

Reviewed on 2021-03-14

We are in a huge project that goes from an old BSS to a new one. We are moving from monolithic software to a microservices architecture, so the project is quite complex. The backlog allows us to handle issues during user acceptance testing in a very clean and dynamic way.

Pros

Very easy set up. Users can get used to the tool very quickly without special knowledge or training.

Cons

We have been using the tool for 2 months and we still have the benefit, so I have not detected any drawbacks yet ...

Pramod S.
  • Industry: Electrical/Electronic Manufacturing

Awesome Software

Reviewed on 2018-10-10

Pros

Easy to maintain bugs and their state .Very Useful.

Cons

Still i did not find any Cons in this software.

Rilson M.
  • Used Daily for Free Trial

Very complete tool

Reviewed on 2019-06-10

Very good tool;
Complete in functionality and serves my business well.

Pros

The level of detail that can be added to a issue

Cons

I miss adding more pictures to describe a bug, and possibly tagging and editing the placed images.

T l S.

Sreedharan Reivew on Backlog Tool

Reviewed on 2019-05-20

Excellent Ticketing System with ease of use , Reduces the time spent on updating etc

Pros

Ease of use,We based and easy navigation and filter functions.
Faster retrieval of information
Status updation takes less time

Cons

While copy & pasting from word documents Alignment gets rearranged and the contents become unreadable