Gymdesk

The best rated software for gyms and martial arts schools

4.8/5
4.6/5
4.7/5
Customer Support Software
4.9/5

Kris

• Customer Support Software

The Best Martial Arts Software out there!

Reviewed on 8/15/2022

I had started with a competing product and while it kind of did what I needed it was just... meh. I switched to GymDesk and could not be any happier - it does exactly what I was looking for in a school management software at a very reasonable price!

Pros

- Easy to use
- One stop shop - the creators have thought of everything
- Simple for members
- Website is connected directly to the back end which is connected to the online shop and Point of Sale which keeps everything simple

Cons

- Would like a little more flexibility on the Design templates for the website
- Sometimes the help can be a little tricky to navigate but jumping on the Live Chat solves things in minutes!

Glofox, MyStudio, Mindbody, Kicksite and WellnessLiving

MyStudio
Lindsay
  • Industry: Consumer Services

Great option for beginners

Reviewed on 7/24/2019

Very happy overall. Service is key for me, makes me want to stay bc I have help when I need it.

Pros

The ease of use, and the customer response time, initially and ongoing as needed. I like the customization options specifically for Martial Arts.

Cons

It takes some time to learn the settings and it’s still something that I’m learning even after a year. Sometimes there are glitches. But with the immediate response (and tech help from the back-end) from the company, it makes it easier to handle.

David

• Customer Support Software

Straightforward and intuitive as long as you don't have to deal with families

Reviewed on 9/9/2022

positive

Pros

Reasonably intuitive feature set for 90% of features
Highly responsive support team
Reasonable price point

Cons

Dealing with families:
- no separate inputs for parent/guardian (let alone both parents) if student is a minor except under "Emergency Contacts"
- cumbersome and inflexible mechanisms for grouping students under a family accounts and how family discounts are priced
- no simple way of toggling a student between memberships without cancelling entirely
- no way to list custom fields on members overview
- no way to see on members overview screen which customers have credit card on file

No integration with small receipt printer - huge waste of toner and paper when customers ask for receipt

Response from Gymdesk

Thanks for reviewing us David! Sorry to hear you did not have a good experience with our family account management. If you can reach out to us with your concerns, we'd be happy to help you set it up better for your needs.

Thanks,
-Eran

Ben
  • Industry: Public Safety

• Customer Support Software

Excellent choice for member management

Reviewed on 7/24/2019

Pros

The team is quick to respond and open to suggestions for features.
The setup is pretty simple and easily integrates with payment software.
The FrontDesk option is a nice feature for allowing students to check in.
Great set of features for the price.

Cons

Updating members isn't always easy.
Some of the links and buttons don't work as expected.
Ability to customize memberships, especially for 'no cost' memberships, is limited.
No feature to allow for more than one version of a waiver to be used at the same time or to include a waiver and a membership agreement during the sign up process.

Hollis & Joel

New MAOR user

Reviewed on 1/19/2020

Extremely positive

Pros

Ease of use and presentation. The simple, yet data heavy presentation allows the user to have important information at the fingertips without unnecessary navigation.

Cons

Report customization. Probably not so much for the M.A. facility, but gym operators with a wide range of customers need to be able to generate custom data reports, especially those facilities who rely in part on dues reimbursement from member insurance programs. A growing segment of business as the aging population increases.

Yen

• Customer Support Software

Great Choice for Managing Your Martial Arts Business!

Reviewed on 10/20/2021

Pros

- Super responsive and helpful customer service. Our questions/problems are usually resolved within a few hours of submitting a request.
- Clean UI: easy for both us and our members to navigate the software.
- Provides all the features you'd need to run your school: billing, belt/skills tracking, attendance tracking, etc.
- Integrates with a variety of payment processors

Cons

There are a few random bugs here and there, but the support team is always on the ball fixing them once you bring it to their attention.

Brandon

Company Director Review

Reviewed on 5/5/2021

I have had no issues with MAOR and am very happy with the software!

Pros

Very easy to use integrated with the Australian direct debit company (stripe), nothing is over complicated and hard to find and the (help) tap is actually very useful and I have personally used it multiple times!

Cons

The only con I would say is that all communication is dealt with over email the replies are always prompt what is good!
But that is the only communication that is offered between client and MAOR it would be very beneficial if there were other points of communication e.g skype, phone call etc, especially at the beginning stages of looking to sign up other than that I think it is a really good software for martial arts schools and I am very happy with it!

Glofox

Reasons for Switching to Gymdesk

I found everything was easy to understand, the price was very fair and it was catered for martial art schools.
Kyle
  • Industry: Law Practice

• Customer Support Software

Great software for managing a martial arts gym.

Reviewed on 8/2/2021

Pros

I like the customer service the most. [SENSITIVE CONTENT] has been most helpful and promptly responded to any questions or concern that I have had. Beyond that, the breadth of capabilities of the software is really great and I discover new functionality of the software almost weekly.

Cons

There are very few cons with this software. There are little things that have come up here and there, but [SENSITIVE CONTENT] has resolved them quickly or helped us find a workaround.

Reasons for Switching to Gymdesk

The user interface is what drove me to choose MA on Rails initially. After looking deeper I found that the functionality our gym was looking for is here and is an all in one package. Great product.
Luke

Fantastic Software

Reviewed on 10/20/2021

Fantastic so far

Pros

The ease of use is what I like most. Everything is easy to use, even our members have mentioned how much easier it is for them to use.

Cons

Would be great if you had an App version for members also. Also an Event section, i.e putting on an internal comp or grading and our members could register for the event through this program.

Kim

• Customer Support Software

Excellent software to keep dojo running smoothly

Reviewed on 10/27/2021

Great customer service. Quick replies. Really enjoying the software.

Pros

Easy to keep track of visitors/potential new members. Great dashboard overview to see quickly any overdue fees and information

Cons

We run a lot of kids classes where a day(s) needs to be selected for them to enrol. Currently we need to create a lot of day combinations to accommodate this

Estefan

• Customer Support Software

Our go to for a martial arts facility management system

Reviewed on 11/12/2021

Pros

displays all the information i need with easy to use navigation and simplified interface.

Cons

certain settings are hard to find. It would be nice to have them all in one tab called "settings" with tabs within that to separate payments, memberships etc.

Reasons for Switching to Gymdesk

affordability, ease of use and modern interface
Matt

Gymdesk Software for BJJ Gyms

Reviewed on 9/11/2022

I really dont understand how I get so much spam (up to 20/day). If there could be a block to enable them not to resend emails. I would like it a whole lot more.

Pros

It like that it comes with its own webpage that can later be integrated with your own. It suits my gym perfectly accounting for all of my needs. I would recommend this for anyone setting up a BJJ Academy. It also has an easy to view, "how to" that helped me out. My emails initially to the Gymdesk Team, were answered quite quickly and after a while of using it, it became so much easier.

Cons

Being in Australia, it was annoying that only Square can be used for the POS. But Square isnt too bad with its low fees.

Response from Gymdesk

Thanks for reviewing us, Matt! We're glad to hear you've enjoyed your experience overall. We thought you might like to know we also work with Stripe and GoCardless in Australia in case you're not happy with Square. If you'd like to know more, please reach out and we'll be happy to assist!

Sebastiao

Transformed our Club

Reviewed on 9/10/2019

Prior to using Martial Arts On Rails we operated a manual system and as a consequence we were losing track of payments, grading, etc. For our club to continue to grow and provide the type of service our students deserve we did some extensive research of automated systems and opted for Manonrails as we found it to be a feature rich system which not only manages the basics very well but also allows you to monitor trends and provides a variety of metrics on the clubs performance and tools to help you grow the club. The sytem was created and managed by CEO who himself is a Martial Artist and therefore uniquely understands the needs of a martial arts club. In the event of any issues or queries the responsiveness of their customer support is nothing short of exceptional, we are on a different time zone here in Europe but that has never been an issue. Maonrails has totally transformed how we manage our clubs and we would have no hesitation in recommending them!

Pros

Ease of day to day use...Does not need additional hardware (works off a smartphone, tablet, pc, etc).... Feature rich... Dashboard providing a snapshot of key metrics...

Cons

Nil - anytime we have identified a new feature that would benefit our club they have modified they system to add the desired feature.

Andre de Wit
  • Industry: Professional Training & Coaching

• Customer Support Software

A must have for gyms and studios training students.

Reviewed on 7/17/2022

Overall this really help boost your dreams. Getting this software management application is a must have, even when starting up!

Pros

Effortless and easy for management of your school as a manager. Easy process for your students to sign up .

Cons

I would like to have an application (App) on my mobile via Google Play, or AppStore. No complaints.

Joey
  • Used for Free Trial

• Customer Support Software

Slick looking and easy to use

Reviewed on 7/8/2019

My experience was great. I ended up choosing another product, but it wasn't because of any defect in the product. MAOR is both advanced and simple at the same time. It has all the basic functionality you need to get started right away. I had my site basics set up in about 10 minutes, and within an hour I had my contracts all set up and ready to merge. If you're after a highly tweakable product, this may not be it, but if you want something that is easy to use, provides a good user experience, or, most importantly, if you're not a technical person - if you just want something easy to use so you can run your club/school, then definitely consider this offering. This product is so easy to use that anyone could use it.

That being said, I had a lot of questions when I started using it, but mostly related to trying to get it to do things that it wasn't designed to do. The support from the developer was outstanding. After asking a few questions to understand what I was trying to do, most of the things I was asking about were met with a "yeah, no problem, we can add that".

I'd have not hesitation in suggesting you check out this product.

Pros

The interface is sharp, and simple to navigate and find what you're looking for.
Able to set up a trial account and poke around without first having to sit through a lengthy pitch.
Developer responsiveness and support.

Cons

The interface isn't very customizable (the color scheme and icons). Also the options for layout are pretty static.

Response from Martial Arts on Rails

Thanks for the review and feedback, Joey, it's very much appreciated!

Daniela

• Customer Support Software

great software and customer service

Reviewed on 2/1/2022

Pros

user friendly- members has a great experience with their members page
staffs have a better time management.
great customer support

Cons

Right now you can only see the next month payment schedule in the member profile. wish they could add several month auto payment schedule in the member profile, so that we could manage the payments more freely when we need to give one free month at the end of the client membership, or if you need to cancel a specific month payment.

Reasons for Choosing Gymdesk

we were looking for a more efficient service

Reasons for Switching to Gymdesk

it was referred by someone we trust
Gabriel

Great Wonderful Awesome!

Reviewed on 8/7/2022

Can't say enough good things. Had a question when I was initially setting up on a Saturday evening and sent an email. I was surprised to have a reply within an hour. I was fully expecting a few business days.

Pros

Easy to use. Layout is great and does everything I was looking for without extra stuff that nobody uses.
Very simply for members to use and very easy for initial setup by staff/ owner.

Cons

Hoped for an app.....but latest email I received said they will be rolling one out soon!

Spark, Zen Planner and Mindbody
Denise

Makes Academy Management Super Easy

Reviewed on 9/22/2022

Great so far!

Pros

New gym owner here and doing it on my own. This app was recommended by another user and it has made my life so much easier. Super simple interface, incredibly supportive customer service, and flawless member experiences so far.

Cons

No complains so far. Maybe set the price point lower for less than 30 members to help brand new gyms reduce costs.

Mindbody and Zendesk Suite

Reasons for Switching to Gymdesk

Recommended by my professor.
Kam

Martial arts software

Reviewed on 10/26/2021

So far after using it for a month, I found it useful and easy to transfer all my other members from another platform which I was using. It is clear and easily re-do if you make a mistake. It takes some time on knowing how to use it but once knowing it, it is easy and simple to use. I am a slow learner but I can still learn it in a couple weeks.

Pros

What I like best is that you can access all different areas from one page and it is convenient to use. The Dashboard is also great as it tells you what is going on with the member's payment, birthdays and who has been absent from class lately.

Cons

The least thing that is confusing is that when you login as a manager, it takes you to a page where the login is still showing on the page and not straight into the admin page. So, if you are not aware, you will try to login again and again whereas you can just click the admin button.

Michael

Switching from Kicksite to Martial Arts On Rails

Reviewed on 11/28/2018

So far very impressed would recommend people giving this software a chance.

Pros

Website integration is awesome, I use square for my business and as far as I know this is the only software that integrates square into there system. The cost compared to kicksite is better as compared per student.

Cons

The only invoicing available is reoccurring would like to see one time invoicing for products or tests. Also would like to see more done with the ranking, maybe being able to put in requirements so to be able to track students progress also maybe a way to advance a testing group with a single click.

Response from Martial Arts on Rails

Thank you for the review Michael! I'm glad you found our software useful.

Worth noting that we definitely offer one-time charges and product sales, if you need help with using those features please get in touch and we'd be happy to help you out!

Nick
  • Industry: Recreational Facilities & Services

• Customer Support Software

Amazing product with excellent service!

Reviewed on 10/4/2022

We handled all of our members, monthly payments, POS, leads, etc. with multiple spreadsheets and several different products. It saves us so much time and give us peace of mind to know that almost everything we need is in one place!

Pros

Aside from the ability to customize this software to meet our school's needs, the team is very responsive and always willing to answer any questions we have! They have even been able to implement some small new features within a few weeks to make our experience that much better!

Cons

There aren't many things negative about this software; the only thing may be integration with more apps. However as fast as they are improving, I wouldn't be surprised if that happened soon!

Trish

Awesome and Easy to Use Software at a Solid Price Range

Reviewed on 6/17/2021

Very positive experience overall. Customer service is amazing and I have no plans on changing software.

Pros

I really enjoy how easy it is to set up memberships, schedules, personal training and other sales using Martial Arts on Rails. Loads of flexibility for payments and how you choose tot run your business. We're a small, not for profit boxing gym so flexibility was absolute key.

Cons

I would like if there were a way to track athletes progress more a long with coaching plans so I could keep everything in one place more efficiently. Also, I know its not in the cards and it's not a huge deal- but would be amazing if there were an app.

James

It works!

Reviewed on 3/26/2020

Love it!

Pros

Super easy to use, it works, and if you have a question they are very responsive.

Cons

Would like to add feature of being able to put in emergency contact photos. Also be able to click on members photos to enlarge an adjust. Some members add photos that are poor quality or too small to see their face clearly.

Chad

Streamlined my school

Reviewed on 9/15/2020

Streamlining my school.

Pros

Martial Arts On Rails has helped me tremendously in streamlining my students info. I have been taking role and keeping up with ranks on paper for about a year prior to implementing this platform. This is my first time operating software or an online platform. WHAT A DIFFERENCE! My school is starting to grow and MAonRails is making things a breeze to keep up with. [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] is super quick to email me back if I have questions. I give this company an A+.

Cons

It seems to operate better on a laptop or desktop versus a smartphone.

Jared

Exceptional product

Reviewed on 8/10/2017

Saves me time and money. Very good product!

Pros

It is quite intuitive. It does so many things for me that I would spend endless time trying to do for myself. It is also priced fairly.

Response from Martial Arts on Rails

Thanks for the review, Jared, and for being a valued customer for so long!

-Eran