Gymdesk

The best rated software for gyms and martial arts schools

4.8/5
4.6/5
4.7/5
Customer Support Software
4.9/5

Cindy
Cindy

• Customer Support Software

Client management software for martial arts

Reviewed on 2019-10-26

We needed client management software for our martial arts gym; I switched to MA on Rails based on the recommendation of another gym owner. The author has been incredibly responsive about small changes we needed. Overall, it does what we need well and with a simple, clean interface.

Pros

It is simple to use and handles all our needs (managing clients, gym shop sales, attendance, scheduling). It's very flexible about types of membership options, from drop-ins to monthly. I like that the clients can access their own account. It has good tracking for attendance, bill paying, lets us freeze clients when needed. It also has a basic web-site.

Cons

The attendance check-in is a bit confusing when you have multiple classes running.

Reuven

• Customer Support Software

An up and coming top notch tool for martial arts schools

Reviewed on 2020-07-26

So far so great! Very few complaints/frustrations from members during transition as opposed to previous softwares used like zenplanner etc... where every step was met with crashing apps and the like. Here we have a program that works right in every smartphone/computer’s browser. Just log in and access everything, including remote training videos, which right now are crucial.

Would love to see some more features surrounding support for remote training, but considering the relative “newness” of the product and how great everything else has been for myself and my students - a solid A-!

Pros

Easy setup (BIG)
Automated Payment Processing
Easy “on the fly” changes
Beautiful schedule for website
Booking and checkins
Built in waivers/agreements/forms
Developer is constantly listening to users and giving feedback as to why software functions the way it does or when features will be ready and DELIVERS

Cons

Lack of robust reporting
Lack of configurable signup menu (users see a long list that you can’t organize by category, yet)
A lot of functionality seems to leverage and almost depend on you using the built-in website builder, so if you have your own website, it might feel limiting

Mindbody

Reasons for Choosing Gymdesk

Too complex for my needs Constantly getting lost in menus Reporting numbers always wrong/different Payment processing felt like a prison sentence Ugly embedded scheduler Constant student complaints

Sharla

Not bad for the price.

Reviewed on 2022-10-01

It’s ok. Easy enough to use but I’m used to using Spark and I feel like some of the features are lacking. For the price, I’ll stick around for now.

Pros

Mostly easy to use once you figure it out.

Cons

1) You can’t send out waivers to multiple people at once. Would be nice if you could have them fill out the waivers without having to individually assign them to each person.

2)Wish there was a more detailed way to sort through leads, students etc. for example using tags for things like events, or to separate different types of leads etc.

We have only used this for a month and haven’t even quite started using the full functioning yet so there may be more later.

Spark Membership

Reasons for Switching to Gymdesk

I really wanted to use Spark Membership but chose not to based on their pricing.

Response from Gymdesk

Thanks for reviewing us Sharla! We're sorry to hear you did not have the best experience with our software. There is an option to assign documents to members in bulk, using our bulk member operations, and there's plenty of filters you can use for the leads, including custom fields you can add. We'd be happy to help you utilize the software to the fullest extent - please reach out to our support and we'd help you get set up!

Jordan

Martial Arts In rails

Reviewed on 2019-07-24

It’s cuts down tons on paperwork and allows the use of a card for recurring monthly payments. Those are huge. We also keep attendance and rank in this and it helps tons as well. I was skeptical at first but will say that we highly enjoy its function.

Pros

Best customer support around!
Very streamline and easy to use
Ever evolving with input from customers
Less paperwork, mass emailing, just great in all areas.
Fair priced

Cons

- sometimes can be a little glitchy but Customer support always is right on it.

Zen Planner and Mindbody

Reasons for Switching to Gymdesk

Cheaper and more affordable and designed specifically for martial artists needs.
Richard

Straight Blast Gym Niagara Loves MAO

Reviewed on 2020-07-31

Just a few days into getting the system operational for my gym I had many students message me saying they loved it, and how slick it looked. MAO is going to help me be even more personal with my students, and little details will no longer slip between the cracks.

Pros

I like how easy it is for my students to pre-book their classes, the dashboard is awesome showing me who is attending for the day's sessions, and the emailing system is one of my most liked features.

Cons

Any problem I thought I had with the program was actually with me. When I needed help, I messaged [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] and every time he answered me back immediately. I have nothing but positives with MAO.

Steven

Martial Arts on Rails Review

Reviewed on 2021-11-16

We were looking for a product to manage a small wrestling club and strength training business. We do not have a full-time manager and most of the products were overly complicated. Martial Arts on Rails has turned out to be the perfect solution.

Pros

The software is extremely easy to set-up and use, yet it has sufficient flexibility to manage our club in the way we want to operate. Interface is excellent and intuitive. The ability to create a website and easily integrate with a payment gateway was also excellent. Finally, customer support is to notch.

Cons

At first I was concerned that it did not have a corresponding App but the website works great on a cell phone and this has not been an issue. The product team continues to add features and improve functionality. No concerns.

Lindsay
  • Industry: Consumer Services

Great option for beginners

Reviewed on 2019-07-24

Very happy overall. Service is key for me, makes me want to stay bc I have help when I need it.

Pros

The ease of use, and the customer response time, initially and ongoing as needed. I like the customization options specifically for Martial Arts.

Cons

It takes some time to learn the settings and it’s still something that I’m learning even after a year. Sometimes there are glitches. But with the immediate response (and tech help from the back-end) from the company, it makes it easier to handle.

Connected Mind

Reasons for Switching to Gymdesk

Price, we are new and we’re starting with a very small number of clients. Also we don’t need complex software. Simple is better.
Yen

• Customer Support Software

Great Choice for Managing Your Martial Arts Business!

Reviewed on 2021-10-20

Pros

- Super responsive and helpful customer service. Our questions/problems are usually resolved within a few hours of submitting a request.
- Clean UI: easy for both us and our members to navigate the software.
- Provides all the features you'd need to run your school: billing, belt/skills tracking, attendance tracking, etc.
- Integrates with a variety of payment processors

Cons

There are a few random bugs here and there, but the support team is always on the ball fixing them once you bring it to their attention.

Brandon

Company Director Review

Reviewed on 2021-05-05

I have had no issues with MAOR and am very happy with the software!

I have had no issues with MAOR and am very happy with the software!

Pros

Very easy to use integrated with the Australian direct debit company (stripe), nothing is over complicated and hard to find and the (help) tap is actually very useful and I have personally used it multiple times!

Cons

The only con I would say is that all communication is dealt with over email the replies are always prompt what is good!
But that is the only communication that is offered between client and MAOR it would be very beneficial if there were other points of communication e.g skype, phone call etc, especially at the beginning stages of looking to sign up other than that I think it is a really good software for martial arts schools and I am very happy with it!

ABC Glofox

Reasons for Switching to Gymdesk

I found everything was easy to understand, the price was very fair and it was catered for martial art schools.
Kyle
  • Industry: Law Practice

• Customer Support Software

Great software for managing a martial arts gym.

Reviewed on 2021-08-02

Pros

I like the customer service the most. [SENSITIVE CONTENT] has been most helpful and promptly responded to any questions or concern that I have had. Beyond that, the breadth of capabilities of the software is really great and I discover new functionality of the software almost weekly.

Cons

There are very few cons with this software. There are little things that have come up here and there, but [SENSITIVE CONTENT] has resolved them quickly or helped us find a workaround.

Reasons for Switching to Gymdesk

The user interface is what drove me to choose MA on Rails initially. After looking deeper I found that the functionality our gym was looking for is here and is an all in one package. Great product.
Hollis & Joel

New MAOR user

Reviewed on 2020-01-19

Extremely positive

Extremely positive

Pros

Ease of use and presentation. The simple, yet data heavy presentation allows the user to have important information at the fingertips without unnecessary navigation.

Cons

Report customization. Probably not so much for the M.A. facility, but gym operators with a wide range of customers need to be able to generate custom data reports, especially those facilities who rely in part on dues reimbursement from member insurance programs. A growing segment of business as the aging population increases.

Seiji

New gym owner

Reviewed on 2022-08-19

Overall our experience has been extremely positive and have not once considered seeking out other software.

Pros

Gymdesk is a powerful tool that has so far met most of our needs as a new gym. Customer service is extremely fast and helpful. We have on multiple occasions inquired about features not present in the software and these have been rapidly implemented.

Cons

The gym scheduling can be a little confusing to manage and this can also affect the attendance tracking.

Spark Membership, ABC Glofox and RhinoFit

Reasons for Switching to Gymdesk

Price was a major factor. We liked that the software was built specifically for jiu-jitsu and so we knew that it would have many of the key features we were looking for
Kim

• Customer Support Software

Excellent software to keep dojo running smoothly

Reviewed on 2021-10-27

Great customer service. Quick replies. Really enjoying the software.

Great customer service. Quick replies. Really enjoying the software.

Pros

Easy to keep track of visitors/potential new members. Great dashboard overview to see quickly any overdue fees and information

Cons

We run a lot of kids classes where a day(s) needs to be selected for them to enrol. Currently we need to create a lot of day combinations to accommodate this

Lucas

• Customer Support Software

Great software for the price

Reviewed on 2019-10-25

Pros

This software is great for the price. Very well thought out and well done

Cons

The website does not look great on desktop. Somewhat tough to align everything properly

Reasons for Switching to Gymdesk

I saw it on reddit years ago and remembered it.
Matt

Gymdesk Software for BJJ Gyms

Reviewed on 2022-09-11

I really dont understand how I get so much spam (up to 20/day). If there could be a block to enable them not to resend emails. I would like it a whole lot more.

Pros

It like that it comes with its own webpage that can later be integrated with your own. It suits my gym perfectly accounting for all of my needs. I would recommend this for anyone setting up a BJJ Academy. It also has an easy to view, "how to" that helped me out. My emails initially to the Gymdesk Team, were answered quite quickly and after a while of using it, it became so much easier.

Cons

Being in Australia, it was annoying that only Square can be used for the POS. But Square isnt too bad with its low fees.

Response from Gymdesk

Thanks for reviewing us, Matt! We're glad to hear you've enjoyed your experience overall. We thought you might like to know we also work with Stripe and GoCardless in Australia in case you're not happy with Square. If you'd like to know more, please reach out and we'll be happy to assist!

David

• Customer Support Software

Straightforward and intuitive as long as you don't have to deal with families

Reviewed on 2022-09-09

positive

positive

Pros

Reasonably intuitive feature set for 90% of features
Highly responsive support team
Reasonable price point

Cons

Dealing with families:
- no separate inputs for parent/guardian (let alone both parents) if student is a minor except under "Emergency Contacts"
- cumbersome and inflexible mechanisms for grouping students under a family accounts and how family discounts are priced
- no simple way of toggling a student between memberships without cancelling entirely
- no way to list custom fields on members overview
- no way to see on members overview screen which customers have credit card on file

No integration with small receipt printer - huge waste of toner and paper when customers ask for receipt

Response from Gymdesk

Thanks for reviewing us David! Sorry to hear you did not have a good experience with our family account management. If you can reach out to us with your concerns, we'd be happy to help you set it up better for your needs.

Thanks,
-Eran

Andre de Wit
  • Industry: Professional Training & Coaching

• Customer Support Software

A must have for gyms and studios training students.

Reviewed on 2022-07-17

Overall this really help boost your dreams. Getting this software management application is a must have, even when starting up!

Pros

Effortless and easy for management of your school as a manager. Easy process for your students to sign up .

Cons

I would like to have an application (App) on my mobile via Google Play, or AppStore. No complaints.

Heidi

Love this software!

Reviewed on 2019-10-27

Our clientele doubled within the first four months of using this software. It’s has been absolutely amazing.

Pros

Easy to set up new students. Easy to find history of payments. It’s very organized and easy to navigate. I love that our members have access to their own profiles.

Cons

Setting up family memberships is the hardest thing but it’s not that bad.

Rachael

Prompt Responses and Excellent Customer Service

Reviewed on 2020-06-16

Using Martial Arts on Rails has allowed us to combine three different platforms into one accessible and easy to use program. We are now able to navigate through any membership requirement within the same system and it has really helped our day to day business run smoothly.

Pros

This system is extremely user friendly and it has been a smooth transition from our previous software. Very easy to navigate through all our memberships and features.

Cons

We have not had any issues with this software that wasn't promptly addressed by customer service. We needed an option of entering multiple payment methods in membership accounts and the option was provided the next day.

Gabriel

Great Wonderful Awesome!

Reviewed on 2022-08-07

Can't say enough good things. Had a question when I was initially setting up on a Saturday evening and sent an email. I was surprised to have a reply within an hour. I was fully expecting a few business days.

Pros

Easy to use. Layout is great and does everything I was looking for without extra stuff that nobody uses.
Very simply for members to use and very easy for initial setup by staff/ owner.

Cons

Hoped for an app.....but latest email I received said they will be rolling one out soon!

Spark, Zen Planner and Mindbody
Archie

• Customer Support Software

Great product to keep you streamlined and focused on the students

Reviewed on 2022-03-20

customer service has been amazing. the staff is helpful and easy to work with

customer service has been amazing. the staff is helpful and easy to work with

Pros

I enjoy the layout of the program. it's a sleek design that allows me too quickly perform duties keeping me on the floor with my students and frees up the family's time regarding billing and sales

Cons

it took me a bit of time to truly understand and set up specific aspects of the site.

Kam

Martial arts software

Reviewed on 2021-10-26

So far after using it for a month, I found it useful and easy to transfer all my other members from another platform which I was using. It is clear and easily re-do if you make a mistake. It takes some time on knowing how to use it but once knowing it, it is easy and simple to use. I am a slow learner but I can still learn it in a couple weeks.

Pros

What I like best is that you can access all different areas from one page and it is convenient to use. The Dashboard is also great as it tells you what is going on with the member's payment, birthdays and who has been absent from class lately.

Cons

The least thing that is confusing is that when you login as a manager, it takes you to a page where the login is still showing on the page and not straight into the admin page. So, if you are not aware, you will try to login again and again whereas you can just click the admin button.

Leif
  • Industry: Arts & Crafts

Perfect for our dojo

Reviewed on 2019-01-29

Nearly flawless. What few small problems I've had were quickly resolved by the founder. I have had ZERO problems with the back-end payment system or student management.

Pros

I love how easy it was to setup for our dojo! And it built our front landing page AND student portal all at the same time. Billing is easy and perfect. Nothing but great stuff

Cons

The template for the website is fixed with little customization aside from pictures. The schedule only shows one week at a time.

Michael

Switching from Kicksite to Martial Arts On Rails

Reviewed on 2018-11-28

So far very impressed would recommend people giving this software a chance.

So far very impressed would recommend people giving this software a chance.

Pros

Website integration is awesome, I use square for my business and as far as I know this is the only software that integrates square into there system. The cost compared to kicksite is better as compared per student.

Cons

The only invoicing available is reoccurring would like to see one time invoicing for products or tests. Also would like to see more done with the ranking, maybe being able to put in requirements so to be able to track students progress also maybe a way to advance a testing group with a single click.

Response from Gymdesk

Thank you for the review Michael! I'm glad you found our software useful.

Worth noting that we definitely offer one-time charges and product sales, if you need help with using those features please get in touch and we'd be happy to help you out!

Marion
  • Industry: Professional Training & Coaching

Great Program

Reviewed on 2019-10-03

Been a great experience to us new owners so far.

Been a great experience to us new owners so far.

Pros

I like the alerts when a payment is due or a member hasn't been present in a while.

Cons

I dislike not being able to give INDIVIDUAL stripes when a promotion is made. I can put stripes on the color belts, but it shows everyone with the same stripes. Hope that makes sense. Correcting this would make it easier for promotions.