Aplos

Accounting and giving software for nonprofits & churches.

4.5/5
4.2/5
4.4/5
Customer Support Software
4.6/5

Efficient and Easy

Reviewed on 2/12/2019

Pros

The software is easy to use and not too expensive. Minimal accounting or bookkeeping experience is needed.

Cons

I saw the software worked great when our church was small. As it grew the amount of accounting required a program that could keep track of individual versus batch transactions.

Wendy

APLOS Software for my Small (but growing) Church

Reviewed on 12/28/2018

The people at APLOS are great to work with. Easy to reach out to, quick to respond, They are really good at listening to my particular need and showing me how APLOS helps with it vs. just a generic response. Also, you can't beat the price. (I got a Black Friday 50% off special for a year). I looked at other options - some were too much for my need (both cost and complexity) and some could be made to work (Quickbooks for example) but were not really designed for a church. This is PERFECT for us.

Pros

I purchased this software to help me take on a new role as treasurer of a small church. Am about 6 weeks into a "practice period" and will wipe out my practice data and start clean in January. It has (almost) everything I could want and some things I did not expect. The people database for church members, vendors, & prospects supports communication and there are robust accounting features (budgeting, bill pay, offerings, etc.). It has predesigned reports of all kinds that can be easily customized. You can import and export data. And it is really easy to use. Clearly designed for non-professionals like me - a volunteer doing a treasurer's job. Loved it from the first time I started playing with it during the free trial period. Also the resources (webinars, academy, one on one support) are great! Have watched several webinars, and chatted with people in customer support several times to get specific guidance/suggestions on my questions.

Cons

Have found only 2 things missing so far: 1) My pastor wants the ability to use the letter/email functions to communicate with members (uses the contact database) without seeing their donation records - and right now that "separation" isn't available. Also in recording donations, I would like to differentiate between cash and check because you need that info to make your bank deposit. APLOS doesn't provide for that. There's a workaround but not a great one. Customer Service made note of both of these needs for future releases.

Sherry

Good Software for Beginning Nonprofits

Reviewed on 7/13/2018

Pros

I like that everything is all together in one spot - donor software, accounting, newletters and online giving forms. I like how when someone gives online through your forms that it automatically incorporates into your accounting and saves info from the giver into your contacts.

Their customer service and support is their beacon of light. Extreme strong point. It's almost as if you have nonprofit accountant on your staff to answer your questions. They answer you quickly, and their answers are always helpful. And often times they've logged in and completely helped me fix an issue. This is the best thing I love about them and something that makes them completely unique. This was a game changer for me as a brand new nonprofit and didn't know what I was doing. I can't say enough about this! This is what makes me recommend them to everyone I know that's a nonprofit leader.

Cons

The newsletter email templates and online giving forms are very template-y and don't give you a lot of control. The final product can help you get information out, however it looks pretty amateurish, which in turn makes your nonprofit/your brand, look amateurish - which is more important than most people know. If Aplos could follow constant contact's lead on design formatting they would be top notch.

The other thing I don't like is often I'm fundraising for events and have options for customers to pick (example : I want to buy tickets for an event and a tshirt for two people), or want them to be able to buy multiples of items and it really needs somewhat of a "cart" option for online giving forms.

Third, I get lots of complaints from customers about the transaction errors which make it hard to give. I get this a lot. Which can hinder givers, often they won't go back again and give again when they get an email way later that the transaction didn't go through, so you lose donations. I've addressed this with them several times, but there hasn't been any resolution. I think it has to do with that the provider they use does a micro-transaction to the bank and then banks don't approve it.

Roslyn

• Customer Support Software

Aplos - A Stellar Business Model!

Reviewed on 9/9/2021

My overall experience with Aplos has been phenomenal! They literally have THE BEST customer service of any company in any type of business with whom I have ever interacted! When I contact them with a question, I am always made to feel like a valued customer. In addition, each customer service representative has always answered my questions thoroughly, kindly, and professionally.
I also like the fact that Aplos listens to its customer base. Over the years (since 2015) that we have been with Aplos, I have seen improvements/additions to the software as a direct result of customer feedback.

Pros

What I like most about the Aplos software are the many features it offers that make the business aspect of our ministry so much easier to handle than it was before. Within Aplos, we get the extremely beneficial multi-level fund accounting, donor management, event registration, website building, etc.
As we are growing, we are also applying other features of the software. It just keeps getting better!

Cons

Initial integration of this software into our church usage had its "hiccups" but not because of Aplos. It was a "learn-as-you-go" process for me.

Debra

New to Fund Accounting

Reviewed on 3/17/2021

I do not have another Fund Accounting Software to compare Aplos to, but I can't imagine that anyone could offer better Customer Service. They are very helpful, and help resolve issues. This would be a number one reason for using Aplos, not knowing if other companies provide the same level of Service...I can't say if they are the best, but they are very helpful.

Pros

I really like the Reconciliation process...it is simple to understand and works perfectly. I value the support that Aplos provides. I am new to Fund Accounting, with NO experience at all, but I have been with Aplos for over a year and they are always willing to take the time to help me figure out how to fix what I didn't understand and a good way to proceed.

Cons

I am unhappy that I cannot find a Vendor to do a new A/P Entry..instead have to scroll thru pages to find the one I'm looking for, a simple search would suffice. I also find reporting to be a bit confusing....it is not intuitive...it sometimes takes several steps (that are not obvious) to get the report I need. Additionally, I believe that the price per month should include a second user, for dual control purposes, for instance a second person to do Bank Reconciliations.

Terry

• Customer Support Software

Amazing Fund Accounting software for small to medium non-profits!

Reviewed on 3/7/2015

If you are busy with the stuff that your non-profit is about, and accounting for the organisation is a necessary dragon, then Aplos will be your knight in shining armor to slay it!

Having implemented a number of other products for small organisations in the past (Quickbooks, Xero, Sage, MS Dynamics GP) I have to give the award for easiest, quickest & most readily accepted to Aplos. If you want to account for your Funds discretely (separate pots of income) then Aplos just works!

Took about an hour to sign up and set up a sandbox (using the trial license) to represent the way my small organisation works - I uncovered a couple of desirable features for product development (see later) but within another 30 minutes I had reports and analysis that would do the job for us so much better than my grumpy accountant! - I showed the software to a user who, after a 5 minute demo, needed no more explanation and was able to enter transactions with multiple expense lines each separately analysed by fund.

The user interface is clearly the 'killer' feature - it is so intuitive that I wonder why others didn't think of it (why didn't I think of it?). The transaction input process for most accounting products is the 'ugly baby' of the product - in Aplos it's the wonder child!

Some caveats to bring this back to earth...

a) The product is currently for the North American market - needs additional features to make it more readily accepted in UK/Europe:
1. Needs a parameterised currency symbol (we don't do dollars!) - but the easy export of reports allows replacement of currency symbol in Excel.
2. Online donations (a great feature!) require a US Bank Account
3. Needs Paypal integration
4. UK giving sites like justgiving.com are very common - integration needed

b) Many grant funders want a full budget before grant - we then need to account against the budget elements (e.g. £500 for travel + £5000 for salary). Aplos currently doesn't budget by Fund element (just at Fund level) but the Income Report provides a full breakdown by expense for each Fund (so allowing manual comparison).

The free support provided by Aplos is responsive and helpful and I am assured that most of these features are on future development plans.

I'm just going to go ahead and sign up for the paid version - I need this software so that I can get on with the purpose of our Charity!!

Terry Wilcox
Project Director
In2Out

www.in2out.org.uk

Sharon

Training is Key

Reviewed on 6/17/2022

I really like the APLOS software and it has been very instrumental in helping me get our finances uncontrol as well as to see what is needed financially.

Pros

I like the fact that the checkbook register, banking information, letter writing, fundraising campaign and donation tracking is in the same software. The software is easy to use especially if you already know what you are doing. Integration was easy for us because we already was using APLOS.

Cons

I don't like that you can't deleted or change charts of accounts once created. I don't think there are products that are difficult to use but just the person knowing what to do. I didn't have to bring our information from another software, I just had to add it to APLOS.

Brandon

Perfect Solution For A Church Plant

Reviewed on 1/4/2017

Starting a new church comes with a lot of tasks for a small group of people that are typically spread out between many in larger churches. We didn't have anyone with professional accounting experience, and we didn't need anything complicated to start out. Aplos was the perfect solution! They offered us a discount as a church plant, and got us moving in the right direction.

Now four years into the process, Aplos has grown with us. We have been able to easily add others to the account management, add new funds and new features as we have grown, and the customer service has been quick and helpful whenever we have needed it.

Some things I like best:
*easy to use
*the "dashboard" gives a quick read on finances at a glance
*fund-based accounting makes it easy to track various donations
*customer service is excellent
*cloud-based design makes access easy from anywhere

Things I would like to see improved:
*I would love to be able to integrate payroll with Aplos
*Report can be customized, but not always as much as we would like

Overall, this is an excellent product for the value and I would recommend it to anyone starting out.

Fund-based accounting
Cloud-based design
Scalable
Excellent customer support

Cons

Wish it included payroll integration
Would like to be able to customize reports more

Brian

Great Church Software with wonderful customer service

Reviewed on 1/4/2017

We have been very satisfied with Aplos as our main accounting software. The customer service has been top notch and many of our suggestions about improving the software have been implemented into new versions. Hoping for a more robust Contacts module (email, texting, more information tracking) in the future!

Pros

Its online. Multiple user access. Great reporting. Easy to use. Great customer service.

Cons

The Contacts module is very limited - would be great to have more contact management tools (email, texting, grouping, tracking) so that we wouldn't have to have a separate software for that.
Other software was somewhat disappointing - hasn't always worked correctly and a bit confusing on how it integrates with Aplos.

Jessie

• Customer Support Software

APLOS is a great starter product

Reviewed on 9/9/2022

We loved APLOS for the capacity we need at the time.

Pros

I loves the customer service. You could always get someone on the phone, always and that was super helpful.

Cons

I did not like that customization was limited. Branding our colors and design was limited.

Robin

Intuitive Software and great support

Reviewed on 2/3/2021

We have a robust reporting for our church finances. Better than most I've seen and I think it is in most part due to the ability to talk through the needs with Aplos support and get the help on what functionality meets those needs.

Pros

When I came on board as treasurer we were using the software inefficiently and not taking advantage of functionalities that would help us. I worked with the team asking questions about my needs and they translated those needs to functionality. Within a very short time I created funds and tracked financials that gave a much better picture of our finances.

Cons

I was not around for implementation so I am unsure if the problems were the Aplos or GVC team related. Now I understand the software, it is critical to plan the uses than implement .

Dr Rev Brian
  • Industry: Civic & Social Organization

Aplos Software Review: Why it's the best Software for Small Non-Profits

Reviewed on 2/8/2018

I would recommend it to anyone who needs both an accounting and donor management solution for their non-profit organization.

Pros

A complete package that handles both your accounting needs and donor management needs.
Is very affordable.
Aplos has a program for new non-profits that makes it even more affordable.
Has a program that does email marketing for you and collects emails thus building your donor base.
Lets you design online web pages to post.
Form 990 Reporting.
Excellent Customer Service and will schedule regular calls with you to train you on the software. However it's easier to use than QuickBooks.
Directly links to your checking account so that your balances are updated continuously.
Takes online payments through WePay
Can manage up to 5000 contacts.
Contribution statements emailed to your donors.
Can Integrate with Paypal

April

The Aplos Advantage

Reviewed on 6/30/2020

Our church accounting is much more efficient with Aplos. It is easy to set up and use. I'm able to keep track of multiple accounts with ease. Two of us use the software almost daily and have never had any issues or hiccups.

Pros

I love that this software is cloud based. All entries are automatically saved and easy to correct or delete. Because it is "in the cloud" I can access from anywhere.

Cons

Instead of using accounting terminology, they use simpler words or methods. It all makes sense, but I had to get used to words such as tags and purposes.

Response from Aplos

Thank you, April, for the review! We are happy to hear that you like our product and our tech support.

Gregory

Excellent Software!!!

Reviewed on 12/13/2017

Pros

This software does it all for non-profits. It's ability to track donors, provide year-end contribution statements, payroll and W-2's, as well as track by budget every transaction helps our small church in ways we'd otherwise have to hire an accountant to do. I'm looking forward to a year of reports that fit our needs. The customizable reports and standard reports make this the flexible program we need around here. It even does a few things that we don't need - like printing checks. Compared to QuickBooks, this just FITS the non-profit better. It's fund accounting helps us manage ear-marked monies as well as multiple accounts.
Additionally, the ability to use the software over multiple platforms makes it handy, too. Our treasurer can do his work from home, and we can print the reports anytime from the church. Department heads and the pastor can always check where their budget areas stand. Pretty useful.

Cons

While it's supposed to provide an automatic link to banks, our small-town bank does not work with this program directly. BUT, it's simple to download transactions to a file and import that file into Aplos. Just assign budget categories with transactions - and voila! Reconciled!
Of course, this is web-based - demanding internet access. While they say it's quite secure, hackers are always out there. And this makes it a bit vulnerable - potentially.

Cheryl

First Time User

Reviewed on 5/12/2021

We are a fairly new to this program and I appreciating how this program works for me in regards to accounting and reporting. I am still working out a few issues on our end regarding the People side. Overall I like this product.

Pros

This product was fairly easy to learn, and what I needed help on was easily accessible through Help. The turnaround time for help was very quick. Sometimes they have to get back to me in a couple of days, but they always stay in touch to let me know they're researching the issue.

Cons

I am with a church. The Check In system, for us, was not working too well. Research was done and the application was tweaked to service us.
Regarding Reports: I would like to see the column titles stay as we scroll down, and would like to see column titles printed on multiple pages. When I asked for this I was told it had been submitted to the developers. I believe they will be able to adjust this.

Justine
  • Company size: 5,001-10,000 Employees

Affordable and Friendly

Reviewed on 4/23/2018

Pros

This is extremely affordable software for everyday Church needs. Their customer support is extremely helpful. Interface is easy to manage.

Cons

I haven't had any issues with donor management and this software. It's a great purchase for organizations.

Jasmia

Aplos Review

Reviewed on 9/28/2018

Overall, Aplos has been great with improving the software and I can tell that they are really listening to feedback.

Pros

It is very easy to use and saves us money from having our Accounting come on site weekly. The articles, tutorials, and staff are great.

Cons

The Pledges feature does not have a lot effective reporting so we will not use it.

Mary
  • Industry: Philanthropy

• Customer Support Software

Great accounting software at an affordable priceI

Reviewed on 10/10/2017

Great buy for any non-profit.

Pros

This accounting software has many features only found in more expensive packages. Very flexible reporting options. Easy to train set up and train staff.

Cons

I have not found anything I couldn't do with Aplos that I wanted to do other than delete extra rows in a journal entry.

Drinda

Great software for non-profits

Reviewed on 3/8/2021

Good experience.

Pros

There are many useful features in Aplos to assist non-profits in daily operations, events and donor management.

Cons

Needs better sign-up process to elicit and track volunteers.

Neon CRM

Reasons for Switching to Aplos

Better functionality for our applications.
Thomas

Aplos Software Simplifies My work

Reviewed on 5/12/2012

I recommend this product to any small church group or any non-profit organization that depends very much on untrained volunteers to help with the office. Try it out, you'll see the ease of use and the benefits of having multi-users having access from several computers makes it very nice to use.

Pros

I have found Aplos Accounting Software to be simple to use and a great help to us in our organization. I am responsible to pay the bills while the secretary in the office is the one who inputs our deposits and book sales revenue. I can look at the accounting books from anywhere in the world and can make decisions concerning making payments or purchases from anywhere while the office can print out the checks and input the sales. It is as easy to use as my checkbook check register at home and produces reports and database inquiries very easily. Thanks Aplos! I just deleted Quickbooks from my computer, never to go back anymore. Please keep the add-ons coming.

Cons

I am not finding much to complain about yet. It is working very well for our organization.

Richard

Pricey Product with Shallow Slate of Features

Reviewed on 2/1/2019

I hoped this would be a good solution for our needs, but it is a very expensive non-solution to even basic church management and accounting needs.

Pros

It is online, and mostly attractively put together. The support is integrated into the interface. It is available through most any computer with a web browser.

Cons

It is not a robust accounting system. For example, there is no way to track a group of Memorial Funds within one overall Memorial Fund. They offered suggestions for work arounds to this, but the general response for this and most other questions I had was, "Unfortunately, we don't do that." They claimed on their marketing materials that you could track attendance at various worship services, but you manifestly cannot do that. The response when I called to find out how was some complicated group setup with needing every person to join the group through a conformation email (even though about half my church doesn't have or actively use email). Eventually the support person admitted that while their marketing did seem to indicate you could track attendance easily that, "Unfortunately we don't do that." There is some possible checkin system being developed, but that still would leave basic church membership functions non-existent. They are more expensive than other systems available that actually do these functions.

Steve

Easy and very effective

Reviewed on 12/7/2017

Pros

We as a church have been opened since 2012. Aplos was the first nonprofit software accounting system we started using. I needed a simple but effective tracking system which I could track my member's contribution.

At the year end, I am able to generate a report for all my members regarding their contribution to their taxes. It is simple and effective.

Stephanie
  • Industry: Civic & Social Organization

• Customer Support Software

Aplos is a user friendly software

Reviewed on 3/13/2018

Overall great software for new organizations very user friendly and they offer free web tools to assist with obtain8ng funding and other helpful tools

Pros

I enjoyed the fact that it was user friendly . I enjoyed the affordable monthly fees based of organization size. I also enjoyed the chat availability

Cons

What I liked least was when they changed the bank integration portion it wasn’t as user friendly . I also didn’t like the fees that changed with the new donor management portion it was almost equivalent to the monthly fee

Michele

Very User Friendly!

Reviewed on 1/10/2017

Our non-profit began using Aplos from the beginning! We have appreciated the consistent customer support and openness to customer feedback. I love Aplos because it offers our non-profit a high-functioning, easy to use platform for someone life myself who does not have an accounting degree.

Pros

Easy to use and very intuitive.

Kathy

Review from Faith Bible Church

Reviewed on 1/24/2017

I find this accounting program easy to understand and use. It is very easy to ask a question and I always get prompt replies.
They have been very good to deal with, listen to my questions and concerns and work to improve the program where needed.

Pros

Easy transaction entries, I like the duplication of entry feature.
Reconciliation is easy and fast.
Great customer service
It's easy to do a transaction search

Cons

When integrating for each account, I have to keep making sure it's on the right account if I go from transaction to integration. It won't stay on the account I've been working on.
When I enter an online payment it puts it in the check register and I can't remove it from the list.