Tick

4.5 (1,420)
Project time tracking on desktop, web & mobile

(1,420)

Veronica
  • Industry: Online Media

Tick-I Approve.

Reviewed on 2019-01-17

With my busy schedule,Tick has helped me in tracking my time in relevance to achieving my set goal.It's easy to use and amazing add on for basecamp

Pros

For a busy person ,bad with keeping track of time like me,Tick is the solution.The accounts and projects are flexiable and very easy to set it up.It helps in easy tracking of time by indicating the time allocated,time billed and the remaining time hense enabling the user hit the set target.It's easy to import projects and add different tasks and produce detailed time reports by company project and task.one can easily retrieve the data and add to pivot tables to graphically view where time is spent.The best part of it is,it intergrates well with project management software such as Basecamp which bring the time tracking and budget feedback into project management workflow.

Cons

Though it can be manageble,i find the process of editing past time entries from any of the summary views long and tiresome.It is also slow at sometimes when it comes for updating time entry field with the item clicked .

• Used Weekly for Free Trial

• Customer Support Software

This product help me to work with my client easier.

Reviewed on 2021-07-13

Pretty well nice, this product done to help freelancer like me to make easier on project to my client.

Pros

the tool & feature is simple. the product have many shortcut for progress in project.

Cons

the UI or visual need a update or modern style for the better way to many people love it.

DesignFiles and monday.com

Reasons for Switching to Tick

Some project will have suitable to this product, so i need to using it for my project.
Rob

Switching from Toggl to Tick

Reviewed on 2017-04-18

We made the move to Tick because Toggl didn't provide an easy way to track the progress of a project or task. With Tick, we're able to see this, to an extent, while tracking time. However, this only shows up *after* you've "entered" time. So, there isn't a way to view the "estimated" time budget, factoring in the timer that's currently running. It would be a huge, AMAZING, help to be able to see this in REAL time is not at the end of the day, when I've submitted my timers and have already gone over time budget by several hours.

Additionally, Toggl has a desktop app that works really well'and is native. Tick's app isn't really an app at all, it's a "mini browser" that refreshes every time you open it from the taskbar. Sometimes I'm naming a timer, and a notification pops up and closes Tick, or I need to navigate away for a second, and when I come back, it refreshes'losing all of my information. Toggl's desktop app also reminds you to track time, when your timer isn't running, during user designated hours (ie between 9:00am and 6:00pm, if I don't have a timer running it'll remind me periodically to remember to track time).

In general, Tick's design is mediocre at best. If it wasn't for the easier-to-view time budget feature, we wouldn't be using Tick in fact we're considering switching because of the lack of other features. A redesign is long over due.

Another down fall of Tick, is the fact that time can't be inputted based on time of day. For example, I forgot to start my timer after lunch, but I know I started working around 1:00 pm and then switched tasks around 2:48, and then switched back at 3:32 noon of which was logged. It would be much easier to log time-based on hours of the day, like Toggl does. But in other circumstances, it's helpful to be able to just put in a specified amount of time. Plus, the hours of day allow us to track our employees and see exactly when during the day they weren't clocking time. This is especially helpful with remote employees. In fact, before we switched to Toggle, I was able to find out that an employee wasn't really working when he said he was, or was padding their numbers. But, with the current Tick setup this is nearly impossible to pin-point.

If you guys want to consider a redesign, we'd love to work with you. Check us out: www.steadfastdesignfirm.com

Pros

Time budget tracking right in the time tracker.

Cons

Doesn't have a good, easy to use interface.
Time budgets are visible or represented until timers are "entered" almost defeating the purpose of showing them in the timer in the first place.
Doesn't have a native desktop app, only a sorry excuse for "something".
Time can't be inputted based on time of day.

Megan
  • Industry: Media Production

Serviceable Time-Tracking App

Reviewed on 2018-08-03

Pros

Tick allows you to track time to projects, broken into as many sub-categories as you need to encompass all the elements of that project. You can easily see a breakdown of your time and ensure that you're tracking the right amount of time to a day/week or project. It also allows you to set time budgets you can track against.

Cons

The reporting function can be a bit cumbersome; I wish it would automatically port to Excel or into more of a spreadsheet format, rather than a long list. It also will automatically create a "shortcut" menu based on your recent entries, so you don't have to scroll through all the projects/tasks to find the one you need to enter time into, but I wish that shortcut menu was customizable rather than auto-generated.

Bukola

• Customer Support Software

Great way to measure project speed.

Reviewed on 2018-06-30

Pros

Tick simplifies how our projects are tracked and budgeted, providing every employee with an idea of how much time is expended on every project. Resulting in increased productivity on the long run ,as employees are able to compare their speed rate on one project against another.
Tick integrates well with Basecamp ,and it is so easy to import our projects from Basecamp into Tick.Likewise , making it very easy to estimate the cost of new projects and compare them with past projects we have done.It has a nice Chrome extension and can be used while on the move ,via mobile.

Cons

It is a whole lot of work trying to manage a project management program on one hand and using Tick on the other hand ,on a single project. Will be a good development ,if Tick can be upgraded into a full blown project management tool.

Sonakshi
  • Industry: Consumer Electronics
  • Company size: 1,001-5,000 Employees

• Customer Support Software

Tick is an easy way to track your project and task and can also track the progress of project.

Reviewed on 2018-08-15

It reminds me to track my time and also reminds me about the progress. It can also import my projects and add various tasks in it. I can easily retrieve my data from it. It could prove the great app for the upcoming time in the business world.

Pros

It can be used easily and it’s the time budgeting. Its auto-fill feature for finding out project is something good. The data saving method of this software is always proved too good. I can easily see all the projects and task at a one place and it saves lots of time.

Cons

Its interface is not that good. Native desktop app is not available and the time can’t be inserted on time of day. People say that they found base camp and liquid planner way better than this software.

Jeffrey

Great Time Tracking Tool

Reviewed on 2018-10-16

It has boosted our workflow efficiency significantly. We weren't aware of how much guesstimating was killing us until we started using Tick.

Pros

One thing we struggle with is giving accurate times for our project. While estimation was ok, over time we were severely over/under budgeting our time. Tick gives us up-to-date, solid data on how much time we're actually spending on each project. It's features are simple, and simple is what we need. There's not a lot of fancy gimmicks which has been a blessing. We don't have time to mess around with in-depth functionality and were just looking for a clock to keep track of our projects. Does it in spades.

Cons

If you're looking for a more fleshed out project management software, this might not be your best option. Its efficiency is found in its simplicity.

Josh
  • Industry: Media Production

Easiest time tracking tool

Reviewed on 2018-10-15

The simple and low-profile integration (app) with our Mac users makes it easy to track time. I would hope a more robust app version would be implemented as an option in the future.

Pros

I love how easy Tick is to use. The interface is streamlined for both the user and administrator. The API is simple, yet has just enough features to make it worth implementing.

Cons

The software is great for freelance base and general time tracking, but not for payroll. Because of this, we use another software for actual payroll.

Abimbola
  • Industry: Entertainment

• Customer Support Software

Best for tracking time spent on projects.

Reviewed on 2018-06-25

Pros

There are multiple time tracking programs out there,who try to do way too much and eventually end up creating a jack of all trade program,with no particular area of distinction.
Tick absolves itself from the pack by simply focusing on project time tracking and resource management and does a fantastic job in both areas..
I like its user interface as I have always found it intuitive ,and makes it very easy to enter new projects and tasks.This is the best time tracking program I have come across and am certain,I will be on this one for a long time.

Cons

Will be nice to see Tick emerge into a complete project management program like Jira and the likes.However it does a fantastic job in its core area of focus.

Alexis
  • Industry: Accounting Software

Tick makes every tock considered

Reviewed on 2018-09-13

Tick has allowed me to manage and track projects and tasks with ease. Overdue deadlines are easily recognizable and allow you to prioritize your time.

Pros

Excuse the poor pun. Tick is a wonderful time management software used to help coordinate deadlines and and manage projects. Tick can be run on computers, phones and even an apple watch. The universal accessibility makes Tick easy to implement and easy to follow. Tick allows for "budget tracking" which helps tell you if you or your team is falling behind on a particular task or project.

Cons

Tick unfortunately cannot force you or your team to do a project. In all seriousness, Tick has a single purpose and can easily be overtaken by a more sophisticated piece of software that includes project management.

Alan

• Customer Support Software

I type in my time at the end of each day. I have never had any issues.

Reviewed on 2018-01-18

Pros

I almost always have the project name in my head - being able to autofill rather than browse keeps my mind from being interrupted. The same goes for the task - autofill beats browsing all the time, but it's great to know I have browsing were I to need it (1 time out of 20).

The way each entry saves in an inline container all on the same page has always been helpful. I take shorthand notes on paper throughout the day of my time rounded to the quarter hour. Seeing everything at once helps me to confirm I didn't miscalculate hours.

Cons

The fact that it could be a little bit more but probably can't be.

I'm a freelancer and use all kinds per studio. Tick achieves the time tracking capabilities I need at this office. As far as time tracking & reporting goes I find Harvest to be the best, you guys second. They're even simpler - at least on the the main level. You have them beat on the secondary level of autofill. If you wanted to be more than tracking & reports and included planning I think you could take down Liquid Planner & Mavenlink.

If you integrated the visual style and structure of Teamweek's horizontal timeline you might have a corner on the market. You could beat out Liquid Planner (too clunky and granular) & Mavenlink (not enough specificity).

I don't see the need to overreach into asset management. Basecamp is better than Liquid Planner for project asset tracking but more and more people are relying on Dropbox/Drive + a Google spreadsheet. Thus people might use you for time tracking, team scheduling, budget forecasting/reports - and then leave the asset management to the more agile Dropbox/Drive/Box world.

Robert
  • Industry: Government Administration

• Customer Support Software

Where have you been all my career, Tick?

Reviewed on 2017-04-28

Allows me to track my time quickly and easily. Saves time while making me look like a genius.

Pros

Where do I begin? Tick saves me an immense amount of time *and* it makes me look good doing it. Time sheets used to be druggery. Always playing catch up at the end of the week (or even end of the month!). The project management software I was using was a clunky solution at best. Other time tracking software was too expensive or was part of a larger ecosystem I had to buy into. Tick is an elegant stand-alone solution that does one thing really well - track time allotted, time billed, and time remaining.

The key for me has been the Chrome extension. It's right there so I can make an entry or start a timer while I am working without opening another tab or using another app. And time entry is really easy with the intuitive and responsive UI. I really appreciate the list of recent tasks that quickly populate the time entry.

Tick also allows me to quickly see where I am on my budgets and give answers on labor budget remaining. No more "let me get back to you," It's right there and because I now enter time on the fly, its always up to the minute.

Tick can produce quick reports by company, project, and task. My clients have been impressed with the professional and detailed time reports. I can also pull out the time entries and feed them into my project management app and my spreadsheets. It's quick and painless.

Cons

If I had to say anything less than glowing about Tick it would be that it's not the easiest to edit past time entries from any of the summary views. The user must find the entry in the task, note the date, and then navigate to the date. That's easy enough if you have Tick multiple browser tabs open but it is *one* thing I'd like to change.

Frankie
  • Industry: Utilities

Tick Overall Review

Reviewed on 2016-12-07

Tick is a great add-on for Basecamp. It provides an easy way to enter time for different projects. We use it in conjunction with Basecamp II. It is super easy to import your projects and add different tasks. i.e. For our projects, we assigned tasks such as Construction QC, Construction Engineering, Indirect Time, Meetings, PTO, Training, etc.
Easy user interfaces to select project, select task and enter the time completed. It also exports to excel in which it was easy to retrieve the data and add to pivot tables to graphically view where time is being spent.
It used to have a great timer app for the computer or cell phone but security concerns with Basecamp shut it down for Basecamp II. Not sure if it's been added to Basecamp III. Great value for up and coming businesses and with the export capability can prepare for bigger platforms.

Pros

Ease of use.

Cons

Needs the timer function back.

Response from Higher Pixels

Hey Frankie,

Thank you for reviewing Tick. We've added new phone apps and a Mac App to replace the old Adobe Air application.

We also rolled out Basecamp 3 support early this summer so you can track time inside Basecamp 3 if you ever decide to upgrade.

Thanks,
Alban

Mike
  • Industry: Motion Pictures & Film

Great For Time Tracking Across Several Projects

Reviewed on 2017-04-18

I work a job where I need to keep track of what I am doing across several projects all at once. Tick has been a lifesaver since our company switched over to using it. I love being able to run timers and switch between jobs and just keep running timers during the day. The interface is also simple and easy to use, without all the extra clutter that I don't need t be bothered with. Being able to easily look back at years worth of historical projects has been great when it comes to bidding new one.

The only thing I don't like is how I can no longer use the Adobe Air Desktop app, which would leave floating timers on the screen as a reminder. Having it up on my desktop was a nice reminder to manage my time, as I often forge the small taskbar timer is there. I also wish I could assign a default task template for all jobs, which would just make life a little easier.

Highly recommend. Great value for what you pay for.

Pros

Easy of use, simple time tracking

Cons

No longer have a desktop app with floating timer window

Shelley

Seamless & simple

Reviewed on 2017-04-18

I live and die by Tick. The basecamp integration sold me initially, but I since moved off basecamp for PM and continue to use Tick for time tracking and recording details for invoicing clients. The accounts and projects are flexible and easy to set up. The application for Mac and Chrome are great for my standard workflow, and the mobile app is helpful when i forget to turn off the timer on my computer. It's all seamless. I have subcontractors who use it too, and all the timecards roll up to the correct projects. I recommend this app to any independent consultant or small agency I come across.

Pros

It's simple, flexible, and works really well across devices.

Cons

On the Mac app, if you click off an entry before saving it, i.e. to look up some details or a time stamp on an email, the information wipes out and you have to start over. that's the only quirk you have to remember--don't click off the widget before saving the entry.

Emil

Convenient, but with Help

Reviewed on 2016-12-14

For backstory, my team is gauging how long certain tasks take to better forecast where people should be assigned and when to start tasks.

I'm used to keeping track of my hours and time spent per task for freelance work and have made a spreadsheet where I can enter the start and end time of a task, get the total HH: work sheetMM spent, and then it convert it to Decimal Hours through formulas. I also made a worksheet space for tasks that I stop and start throughout the day, so the decimal hours are added up in a range for Total Decimal Hours for a task.

My team find the stopwatch function useful and prefer to use that. I also mentioned my spreadsheet during a meeting and earned a collective groan, but I suspect it's because I make spreadsheets for EVERYTHING.

I have not had to contact Customer Support, and I don't feel qualified to say whether or not Tick is a good value. I have also not used the Projects or Reporting tabs, as I have only checked times into Tick.

Pros

I like the Recently Used sidebar for easy time logging. I had to re-do three weeks of entries and the Recently Used sidebar was definitely a lifesaver in that situation. It also makes checking into tasks much easier after the first entry.

I really like the comments section as well. My team lead showed me the narrative I had constructed around a task because of the comments I had entered.

Cons

Time to Enter (decimal hours) and the Stop Watch feel a little too specific, but I mentioned previously that I'm so used to entering something like "9:00 AM - Start" and "9:47 AM - End" that I made a spreadsheet so I could enter start and end times, get the total HH: MM and have it convert to decimal hours through formulas.

Kyle

• Customer Support Software

Easy to use but painfully slow

Reviewed on 2017-04-18

I'm not sure if it's due to the very large number of projects/tasks we have at my company, but Tick has gotten slower and slower over the months, taking sometimes as long as 30 seconds for the time entry fields to populate with the associated project/task information when clicking a recently-used item from the sidebar. Aside from this, it's great! Simple, pretty interface that's very straightforward and easy to understand and navigate.

Pros

The simplicity is the best thing about Tick. We also use Liquid Planner and it is so bloated and confusing, seemingly only for the sake of being bloated and confusing. Tick is a welcome, refreshing sight to behold at the end of the day when entering time.

Cons

The ongoing slowdowns when choosing recently-used items from the right-hand sidebar. It can take up to 30 seconds sometimes in order for the time entry fields to update with the item clicked.

Stan
  • Industry: Publishing

• Customer Support Software

My company uses this just to track time spent on various projects and it works pretty well for...

Reviewed on 2017-04-28

Time tracking that we can't do anywhere else on our existing project systems.

Pros

Works on via the web as well as software installed on Mac or PC. For a company like ours who use a variety of browsers and operating systems, this seems to work the same for everyone. My preference is the web interface as it allows me to enter time as I'm doing it, ahead of time, or after the fact. I use the widget on the Mac side to provide regular reminders to log my time, which is the kick in the tush I usually need.

Cons

With a lot of projects on the account, it can take a while to switch from entering time into existing projects to editing that project or creating a new one. Doesn't integrate with our other project software (or we haven't tried to do so), so there's no detail to the projects...just a reference to log the time.

Jason
  • Industry: Graphic Design Software

• Customer Support Software

I have already recommended it to others.

Reviewed on 2017-03-17

Over the course of the past 16 months or so that I have been using the software it has been very dependable. The feature that allows a user to pick tasks from previous jobs has been a big time saver during job set up. Tick is flexible enough to keep up with the varying needs of my large corporate as well as agency clients, each with their own unique way of keeping track of time. If you work with subcontractors, it's great being able to add and remove people on the fly without incurring additional charges. I chose this platform over others because the fees are based on the number of jobs, not the number of users. The more jobs you have in the system, the more you pay.

That being said $49 a month for more than 10 jobs per month does seem a bit high. That is the same amount I pay Adobe for their entire Creative Cloud. Think about all the R&D and decades that have gone into the full suite of Adobe products. I only pay Microsoft $10 per month.

But even at that price, I would still recommend it. I was on site at an agency and the creative director saw it on my computer and thought it was great.

Pros

Pricing based on Jobs. Picking up tasks from previous jobs. The desktop and iPhone apps.

Cons

Price

• Customer Support Software

While working on high-pace project, Tick helped us to keep to client calm and informed

Reviewed on 2018-06-19

Providing clear project status to the client traveling across the globe.
Also helped with internal budget planning.

Pros

That was a middle-term project with people distributed across the globe.
Part of team and client were traveling almost all the time.
When we provided the client reports generated by Tick they say that it was just what they need.
Client wanted to watch 2 indicators at a glance: time balance between different sub-projects/activities and budget spent.
All that the client was able to access from his mobile phone (a few guys on client side used even Apple watch).

Cons

When I installed Tick app on my Android phone I found its battery draining much faster (w/o Tick app I needed to re-charge my phone every second day, but once I installed the app, I needed to make a recharge every day). When we started using the app, API worked unstable from time to time (invalid response arrived), but for the last 5 months that was not a case anymore.

Beth

• Customer Support Software

Sturdy foundation - ready for upgrade.

Reviewed on 2017-04-18

Tick is fine- we use it in our company fairly easily. Can't complain. But I really think Tick is missing an opportunity.

Everyone hates entering time. We're a busy company and it's really the last thing we want to do. The process is always like pulling teeth. There's no real reason aside from the fact that daily admin work is not exactly the strong suit of creatives.

But, I think what would make Tick boom is some slick gamification. When FourSquare was still a thing, people in our company used to get to work early if only to keep their mayor status. It was a competition. If you could do the same badge system for time tracking (without compromising the actual tracking of time). Your platform would sell like hotcakes.

Pros

Does an efficient job at aiding in time tracking.

Cons

Pretty plain, fine to use but not enjoyable to use.

James

Tick Review

Reviewed on 2017-04-18

I use Tick everyday. It's great for our team. Helps us keep track of billable hours and sub-tasks within major jobs. At first I used Tick via the web, but have since moved to using the Mac app. I love the app, but the one thing I don't like is that when a timer is running it only displays hours and minutes. I think if it displayed seconds it would be more of an indicator that you have a timer currently running. There have been numerous times I've had to switch gears, focus on something else, and forgot about my running timer. It's mostly a human error, I know, but I think some UX change (maybe a change to the white timer indicator in the status bar to a pulsing glow?) to help keep in mind that a timer is running would be great. Overall, great product!

Pros

Simple, user friendly with a clean design.

Cons

Tick Mac app could better indicate a timer is currently running.

Travis
  • Company size: 501-1,000 Employees

• Customer Support Software

Pretty good time recording software.

Reviewed on 2017-04-24

Have been using tick with my company IDL Worldwide for sometime now. It has proven to be a valuable tool in keeping track of our billable time. Things to consider if you haven't already implemented them. Have a calendar view along side the week view to input time. Sometimes when going back to previous entry's it becomes hard to look back at older time entry's. Also it becomes cumbersome when I need to input the same entry for multiple days simultaneously, it seems i can't do that and have to still input day by day. I would love to see an option of selecting multiple days to input time, not that it would be a massive time save in entering our time, but speed increases in entering time and further progression with ease of use is always needed!

Thanks Much,

-Travis Auerbeck

Pros

Pretty user Friendly and easy to navigate.

Cons

See first review entry

• Industry: Photography

Makes tracking time spent on projects a breeze!

Reviewed on 2020-09-10

Tick has been a crucial find for me that helps me be more effective in my work and keep track of time seamlessly.

Pros

I use Tick daily to help monitor and track the time I spend on various projects. I do some freelance work that requires keeping track of hours worked on a project and would be lost without Tick. I love the plug-in for Google Chrome that enables me to easily start and stop the timer without opening another program or window. It's been a lifesaver!

Cons

If you want to have more functionality (additional projects, etc.) you may have to pay more for a plan with those features but it seems more than comparable with other software on the market.

• Industry: Mental Health Care

Hard to manage on-the-go

Reviewed on 2018-11-20

I can understand the benefits of clocking in on the go and managing different times on different projects, but the overall low speed and loading times made what should be a simple process longer and more distracting than easy.

Pros

I used Tick when I was working for a professional dog walking company. The ability to clock in and out from any location was particularly useful. I also liked that I could manage logging the difference between actual walk times versus commute and key change times. The mobile layout was fairly easy to follow and view, and I can imagine it would be easy to use on a laptop.

Cons

The connection to the internet was spotty for all employees across multiple networks, which resulted in a lot of time spent on clocking in. With every minute precious to someone traveling and walking multiple dogs per hour, stopping to make sure your clock in had loaded was frustrating. Compiling times at the end of the week to turn in was also not intuitive, having to click through multiple menu screens.