Tick

4.5 (1,433)
Project time tracking on desktop, web & mobile

(1,433)
4.4/5

Ruby

Time tracking made simple

Reviewed on 11/13/2018

The main thing was lost time. Since before guys had to wait to enter time into our office software we where not billing accurately but now that is history. And keeping a running group tally of time is soo helpful

Pros

I loved the timers, it made it so easy to go from task to task and keep track of all billable time without much effort. Just a click here and a click there as you go from task to task and done!

Cons

It took me awhile to get used to the flow but once you get it, you just get it! the guys love the fact they can record time from there phones and not have to remember to do so later.

Jeffrey

Great Time Tracking Tool

Reviewed on 10/16/2018

It has boosted our workflow efficiency significantly. We weren't aware of how much guesstimating was killing us until we started using Tick.

Pros

One thing we struggle with is giving accurate times for our project. While estimation was ok, over time we were severely over/under budgeting our time. Tick gives us up-to-date, solid data on how much time we're actually spending on each project. It's features are simple, and simple is what we need. There's not a lot of fancy gimmicks which has been a blessing. We don't have time to mess around with in-depth functionality and were just looking for a clock to keep track of our projects. Does it in spades.

Cons

If you're looking for a more fleshed out project management software, this might not be your best option. Its efficiency is found in its simplicity.

William
  • Industry: Management Consulting

• Customer Support Software

Great solution, just hard to remember

Reviewed on 1/20/2017

I generally love the concept of keeping track of time... after all, it's the modern workplace's most important asset. The product features are great: not too many features, just the ones that are really critical for me and my organization.

I do feel however, that it's hard to build a habit around it. I'm currently working on several business development activities and priorities change all the time. I mostly "do my Tickspot hours" once or twice a week and it's really hard to remember what I worked on, say, on Monday. I know the timer feature and I have used it a few times, but I feel it's easy to forget to switch to a new task when someone comes to my desk and asks me to reprioritize activities. You just get caught in a moment and totally forget about Tick's timer. Having said that, if there's a way to integrate with Dropbox (i.e. knowing which folder/file I'm working on and associating those to a project), that would be GOLD to me ;)

Pros

MacOS app on my bar
Helping me keep track of time and knowing how much time it takes me to perform X

Cons

Hard to build a habit around it
Hard to remember what I worked on in hindsight - my bad, I know :)

Oscar
  • Company size: 501-1,000 Employees

• Customer Support Software

We better measure project time and budget.

Reviewed on 6/11/2018

Pros

We use Tick to set a budget for every of our team project. We are able to setup our projects , assign project tasks and projected budget for the project. We are allowed to modify our project budget ,by either increasing or decreasing the budget.
Overall Tick has made it very easy to effectively plan the time and resource we allot to a project.Allowing us dedicate more time or less time to projects ; depending on their size.

Cons

Have only got reservations about the visual setup for our projects.It makes it cumbersome to differentiate between the actual time and budget time.

Jenny
  • Used for Free Trial

Simple and responsive PM time tracking

Reviewed on 3/29/2019

Simple time and budget tracking for small businesses with a handful of projects.

Pros

The UI is intuitive and perfectly responsive across devices. Having a list of recent tasks so I can just continue from where I left off is an appreciated detail! I'm particularly happy about the budget info as I often had to tell clients to "give me a sec" while I work out how much is gone and how much is left. Tick actually tells you how much budget you have left when you create a time entry.

The chrome extension is also winner since you don't have to stop what you're doing to start a timer. The mobile app is just as useful especially as I'm the type to forget and leave a timer running for 12+ hrs so being able to turn it off from my phone has been life-saving.

I've used many PM time-tracking apps and Tick definitely offers one of the most presentable time reports. I don't use Basecamp or the other integrations but I have exported my entries to Excel and they've been on-point so far.

Cons

They offer a freemium (just for one project though) so I eventually had to switch away. Obviously, they have to make a living too but maybe extend the project limit so new freelancers can continue using the app until they can afford to upgrade.

Nipuna
  • Industry: Airlines/Aviation

• Customer Support Software

Track your time within a Tick

Reviewed on 8/27/2019

Great, simple and pretty interface. Easily understandable software.

Pros

Its a very simple software and anyone can use it easily. It allow to track time easily and quickly with its simple user interface.

Cons

Synchronization is very lagging sometimes.

Time Doctor
Albert
  • Industry: Human Resources

• Customer Support Software

Great tool for easily tracking time and autofilling tasks that are recurring.

Reviewed on 5/3/2018

Pros

Ability to click and prefill a tick entry with a previously entered item so I don't have to re-enter everything. I also like that I can access my tick from various locations and they are all sync'd. So, starting a timer in one place shows up in another.

Cons

I'd prefer to enter time manually as 1:45 for an hour and 45 minutes instead of 1.75. Other than that, it's efficient for my needs.

Cindy

Tick Review

Reviewed on 10/23/2019

My overall experience with the Tick software is that I am a bit underwhelmed with the general operation of it and also the design is very plain. No vibrant colors or unique features that really stand out for me. The look of the software just doesn't strike me as software that I would recommend to colleagues or to friends. It's just a bit too plain and boring.

Pros

What I liked most about using Tick software is just how well it organises my time for me. It literally counts down the amount of minutes it takes me to complete a task or how long I still have left over to finish up on a task that I am working on.

Cons

What I like least about Tick software is that while the first 30 days are free a monthly subscription after the free time trial has ended is a bit of a steep rate considering that Tick really is just a glorified clock ticking down the time just as your wristwatch does. Unfortunately I do not really see a lot of value for money in using Tick unless they can maybe add another feature to the software that could make it worth the almost twenty dollar a month price plan.

Richard Boot

• Customer Support Software

I use Tick to report time for my work at my public relations agency.

Reviewed on 5/7/2018

Pros

It's simple and intuitive it doesn't overwhelm you with bells and whistles, it just does what it's supposed to do and does it well.

Cons

The software is great, but of course, remembering to do hours sucks. Maybe there could be features like reminders or reoccuring time blocks for events and projects that are repeated.

Conrad
  • Industry: Mechanical or Industrial Engineering

• Customer Support Software

I have had an overall good experience with Tick. It allows me to meet most deadlines.

Reviewed on 5/4/2018

I would recommend this software to anyone who has trouble remembering deadlines or staying on top of important tasks. However, if you can remind yourself in other ways it may save you some money.

Pros

I looked into this tool a couple years back when I really needed a tool to help me stay organized and on top of deadlines. Tick has come in handy so many times and has reminded me of so many things that I would have forgotten about.

Cons

This is a very lovely feature as time grew on I have become more computer savvy and realized I can set deadlines straight from outlook or through my calendar on my Iphone. It does make sense to have all reminders in one place and that i why we continue to use Tick.

Frankie
  • Industry: Utilities

Tick Overall Review

Reviewed on 12/7/2016

Tick is a great add-on for Basecamp. It provides an easy way to enter time for different projects. We use it in conjunction with Basecamp II. It is super easy to import your projects and add different tasks. i.e. For our projects, we assigned tasks such as Construction QC, Construction Engineering, Indirect Time, Meetings, PTO, Training, etc.
Easy user interfaces to select project, select task and enter the time completed. It also exports to excel in which it was easy to retrieve the data and add to pivot tables to graphically view where time is being spent.
It used to have a great timer app for the computer or cell phone but security concerns with Basecamp shut it down for Basecamp II. Not sure if it's been added to Basecamp III. Great value for up and coming businesses and with the export capability can prepare for bigger platforms.

Pros

Ease of use.

Cons

Needs the timer function back.

Response from Higher Pixels

Hey Frankie,

Thank you for reviewing Tick. We've added new phone apps and a Mac App to replace the old Adobe Air application.

We also rolled out Basecamp 3 support early this summer so you can track time inside Basecamp 3 if you ever decide to upgrade.

Thanks,
Alban

Emil

Convenient, but with Help

Reviewed on 12/14/2016

For backstory, my team is gauging how long certain tasks take to better forecast where people should be assigned and when to start tasks.

I'm used to keeping track of my hours and time spent per task for freelance work and have made a spreadsheet where I can enter the start and end time of a task, get the total HH: work sheetMM spent, and then it convert it to Decimal Hours through formulas. I also made a worksheet space for tasks that I stop and start throughout the day, so the decimal hours are added up in a range for Total Decimal Hours for a task.

My team find the stopwatch function useful and prefer to use that. I also mentioned my spreadsheet during a meeting and earned a collective groan, but I suspect it's because I make spreadsheets for EVERYTHING.

I have not had to contact Customer Support, and I don't feel qualified to say whether or not Tick is a good value. I have also not used the Projects or Reporting tabs, as I have only checked times into Tick.

Pros

I like the Recently Used sidebar for easy time logging. I had to re-do three weeks of entries and the Recently Used sidebar was definitely a lifesaver in that situation. It also makes checking into tasks much easier after the first entry.

I really like the comments section as well. My team lead showed me the narrative I had constructed around a task because of the comments I had entered.

Cons

Time to Enter (decimal hours) and the Stop Watch feel a little too specific, but I mentioned previously that I'm so used to entering something like "9:00 AM - Start" and "9:47 AM - End" that I made a spreadsheet so I could enter start and end times, get the total HH: MM and have it convert to decimal hours through formulas.

Jason
  • Industry: Graphic Design Software

• Customer Support Software

I have already recommended it to others.

Reviewed on 3/17/2017

Over the course of the past 16 months or so that I have been using the software it has been very dependable. The feature that allows a user to pick tasks from previous jobs has been a big time saver during job set up. Tick is flexible enough to keep up with the varying needs of my large corporate as well as agency clients, each with their own unique way of keeping track of time. If you work with subcontractors, it's great being able to add and remove people on the fly without incurring additional charges. I chose this platform over others because the fees are based on the number of jobs, not the number of users. The more jobs you have in the system, the more you pay.

That being said $49 a month for more than 10 jobs per month does seem a bit high. That is the same amount I pay Adobe for their entire Creative Cloud. Think about all the R&D and decades that have gone into the full suite of Adobe products. I only pay Microsoft $10 per month.

But even at that price, I would still recommend it. I was on site at an agency and the creative director saw it on my computer and thought it was great.

Pros

Pricing based on Jobs. Picking up tasks from previous jobs. The desktop and iPhone apps.

Cons

Price

James

Tick Review

Reviewed on 4/18/2017

I use Tick everyday. It's great for our team. Helps us keep track of billable hours and sub-tasks within major jobs. At first I used Tick via the web, but have since moved to using the Mac app. I love the app, but the one thing I don't like is that when a timer is running it only displays hours and minutes. I think if it displayed seconds it would be more of an indicator that you have a timer currently running. There have been numerous times I've had to switch gears, focus on something else, and forgot about my running timer. It's mostly a human error, I know, but I think some UX change (maybe a change to the white timer indicator in the status bar to a pulsing glow?) to help keep in mind that a timer is running would be great. Overall, great product!

Pros

Simple, user friendly with a clean design.

Cons

Tick Mac app could better indicate a timer is currently running.

• Industry: Photography

Makes tracking time spent on projects a breeze!

Reviewed on 9/10/2020

Tick has been a crucial find for me that helps me be more effective in my work and keep track of time seamlessly.

Pros

I use Tick daily to help monitor and track the time I spend on various projects. I do some freelance work that requires keeping track of hours worked on a project and would be lost without Tick. I love the plug-in for Google Chrome that enables me to easily start and stop the timer without opening another program or window. It's been a lifesaver!

Cons

If you want to have more functionality (additional projects, etc.) you may have to pay more for a plan with those features but it seems more than comparable with other software on the market.

Mandy

• Customer Support Software

TICK makes our office tick!

Reviewed on 1/20/2017

Our office has been using TICK for nearly a year now and I can honestly say, the program has greatly improved our productivity. While not a favorite task, tracking time is a must in an agency atmosphere. We enter time to ensure WE are being productive and to allow for accurate client billing. And we love that we don't even have to wait until the month is over to see how we are doing. TICK makes us tick for several reasons. We enter how much time we think we should spend on each client project, and then as time is tracked, we can instantly see our firm's monthly progress. When problems are identified mid-month, we can reallocate time within a client's project or to another client. We also like to be able to measure our team's overall productivity and individual staff member's workload or productivity. This is the only way to measure our profit and loss, and to plan for future staffing needs. One suggestion for improvement would be re: reporting. We find some of the features to be a bit clunky. It would be helpful to be able to customize reports. And running a retroactive report showing the percentage of time used, even if it was over the allotted budget, would be a nice feature.

Pros

Cons

n/a

Jon

Great product

Reviewed on 1/19/2021

Overall, I am extremely pleased with the overall product. It is feature rich, easy to use, and is affordable. Checks all the boxes for what I was looking for. Highly recommend.

Pros

This software is very easy to use. I was able to learn how to use very quickly. It is also very applicable to what I needed it to do. The feature I like best is the Timecard. makes it easy for everyone logging their time.

Cons

This is a pretty solid software. Getting set up with it was a little bit tougher than I thought it was going to be. But once set up, works perfectly.

CINDY

An Indispensable Tool for a Freelancer

Reviewed on 4/18/2017

As a freelance writer who regularly bills by the hour, I don't know how I would manage without Tick. It is super easy to track time, edit projects - I always have multiple projects going simultaneously - and run reports when it's time to get invoices out. I especially love the stopwatch feature. My one qualm is that it isn't easy to delete old projects. I suppose this is a safety measure, and it's not a big deal to live with.

Pros

Stopwatch feature

Cons

Inability to easily delete old projects. There are several steps involved.

Robert
  • Industry: Broadcast Media

• Customer Support Software

A painless way to keep track of project time with low learning curve for new users

Reviewed on 4/28/2017

It's easy for our team to keep track of hours and see when / if we are meeting budget or going over.

Pros

I like the fact that it's easily accessible to new users with uncomplicated, easy to navigate screens. There is a lot of customization features that are very handy as well. We are a television media production company and require a lot of different categories for services and Tick provides us with the flexibility to do what we need.

Cons

I would like to be able to see at a glance what I have entered hours on in the past month and the month before that. I need a quick visual reference to all my hours in separate projects, grouped in one space so I can review quickly.

Straightforward Time Tracking

Reviewed on 9/25/2018

Pros

Love the idea behind Tick, and their team's implementation of it. Track your time from anywhere, office on your laptop, or flight on phone. Making sense of how we use our time and analyzing performance accordingly. This app is from the future, helping us an in the present.
Very useful for business professionals and individuals who are trying to work and study more efficiently.

Cons

Works great, runs well, nothing negative I can think of with Tick.

Ann

Best time tracking tool!

Reviewed on 12/14/2018

Time tracking is essential task for our company, and we have tried so many other software in the market but nothing stuck like Tick. It's so easy to use in all the ways: adding teams, adding projects, integration with Trello, generating reports, etc. I recommend it to people all the time.

Pros

SO easy to use. We've never had to contact support because we've never had any issues.

Cons

The reports output - could use a better layout (or have added capabilities for us to edit the layout ourselves).

Joe
  • Industry: Leisure, Travel & Tourism
  • Company size: 501-1,000 Employees

Tool with good user interface and easy to learn

Reviewed on 1/20/2017

I use this tool everyday for my job to track project work and log time spent on activities. Its visually easier to use than some other tools out there and its easy to learn. I've never had any technical issues and the templates for project work are a time-saver. The only thing that is slightly annoying for my use is that I tend to need to have two windows open, one for the project list/chedcking off to-do's and a second window for tick. It would be nice if it could be done a little easier all in one window

Pros

Easy to learn, visually appealing user interface, project templates

Cons

Having to have two windows open at the same time, one for the project list and another for tick time track

Cassandra
  • Industry: Photography

Time recording done right

Reviewed on 4/24/2017

I'm a Producer at a photography studio and it has been a really helpful tool for all of our employees. We especially like the budgeting feature. It really allows us to make accurate estimates on future work.

Pros

Budget features, archiving projects, timer/manual options to record time

devaun

Tick time software is easy to use

Reviewed on 5/10/2018

Pros

I'm a software consultant and I need to enter time into several systems weekly. (Client and pass through sides). The client's Microsoft share point version is terrible. But the Tick software is so easy to use. Just pick client and day, set time. So nice. I highly recommend.

Cons

I wish it would default the client drop-down when I only have one this period. (This might be there but a setting not configured.)

Jazzy

Intuitive and Easy

Reviewed on 4/24/2017

Tick is the best time tracking software I've ever used. The Chrome extension, apps, integrations with tools like Basecamp, and other features have made it a simple, seamless part of my workday. No one likes time tracking, but Tick makes it painless.

Pros

Interface, integrations, apps

Cons

I sometimes accidentally enter a full day's worth of time onto the wrong date. I wish it was easier to move a full day's worth of time onto the right day, instead of having to move each entry individually.