DeskTime

Samantha
  • Industry: Utilities

Good, with a Few Issues

Reviewed on 11/2/2022

This software is good, if you feel the need to track employees. You can see what they are doing and when they are doing it.

Pros

Desktime is easy to use. It's easy to onboard new people, assign them to teams, and track usage. The dashboard is sleek, informative, and easy to read. I like that we're able to see at a glance what all team members are doing at any moment in time. The implementation for new hires is very quick, just a name, an email, and a team to assign them to is all that's necessary. I do like the reporting structure; I can see what sites someone is visiting and code them appropriately (productive, not productive, or neutral).

Cons

It is a pricy system. I haven't compared to other time tracking software, but for us (a company with 35 tracked employees), it's fairly expensive. There have been several issues lately with their reporting of proper time worked/productivity, which took awhile to resolve. Another major issue is that reporting is vast, but difficult to pull what you need. For instance, I have hybrid employees and it is a major hassle to extract the data based on remote or in-office days.

Barbara

A Real Lifesaver

Reviewed on 1/11/2017

There are things I am good at, but keeping track of my time is not one. I had searched for a few years trying different programs, or plug-ins, or techniques and I always ended up with "time holes" in my day. And then I found Desktime. It starts when my computer comes up and starts tracking automatically. I use Chrome and have the extension for Desktime that captures the URLs of sites I visit so I can also keep track of what I was working on by where I was on the Internet. And then there is the Project's feature. It is super simple to set up a new project, and as easy as choosing from a dropdown list when you need to switch from one project to another for individual job tracking. In the course of a day I rarely work on one thing and then the next and so on. It is more of a series of hopping from one job to another and back again and the ease of switching between projects makes that a non-issue. And because no person is perfect Desktime also has a Private Time feature. There is also the ability to keep up with how long meetings are or lunch even because Desktime tracks offline time. When your computer is idle for more than a few minutes Desktime stops counting time. When you come back, in the timeline there is a gap to which you can assign whatever may be appropriate. If it was a production meeting, click in the blank space and a pop-up comes up and you can tell it what you were doing, what project it was for, if applicable and even if the time was productive or not. I suppose depending on the meeting that could be subjective. And if you were out to lunch, leave it blank and no time is recorded so that at the end of the day you have an accurate record of how much "desktime" you have put in. It is the greatest thing since sliced bread.

Pros

Time tracking without thinking.

Cons

I really wish it would track minutes in unites of 100, like time has to be submitted for payroll. The hour time is not a factor but the minutes, it is always 38 min x .60 to get time to submit. Or if not doing the actual math, it is looking it up on a conversion chart. Just give me an option to track it how I need it to.

Ieva

Great for self-control

Reviewed on 8/19/2022

I work from home for more than 3 years now. I am not self-employes, so I wanted to make sure that I am at my desk for the time I promised and that I am working productively. This tool does exactly that.
In addition, finally it has easy way of adding time to projects. I would use this to calculate how much time I spend on extra projects not directly related to my daily tasks.

Pros

It really helps me to understand did I work 8 hours today and was I not wasting time on Facebook or other things.
I like the green design. It makes me tune in positive and productive.

Cons

I would like an extended possibility to add programms, headers, meetings from outlook automatically to projects. So like marking apps as productive or unproductive, there might be option to mark them as belonging to specific project.
And I would also like to have a slightly cheaper plan as even though I belong to a company I have installed and pay for this alone and use it for my home office purpose only.

Clockify

Reasons for Switching to DeskTime

I liked the design, the ease of marking applications productive or unproductive, great statistics. And the adding timeslots to projects. And also I know it comes from Latvia, so a little patriotic and pride :)

A Great Tool for Management, Supervisors, and Business Owners

Reviewed on 8/18/2022

This software has helped us immensely since we started using it. It gives the business owners a better idea of what goes on in all of the departments, what's being completed, and how long it takes.

Pros

Like I said in the title, it is a Great Tool for Management, Supervisors, and Business Owners, and lets them know the daily activity of their staff and teams. It also help allow them to delegate tasks to their teams and figure out changes that need to be made, to make the business operations run smoother.

Cons

Some features are very rigid. Mainly the task timer. If you are logging a task where you are away from your desk, the timer will stop tracking/logging the time maybe 3 minutes into the computer being idle and when the employee returns to their desk, it logs the tail end of the task, so we have to manually adjust the time for the gap of time that wasn't logged.

Trello

Reasons for Switching to DeskTime

This program was a much better fit for what we needed it for.

Feedback for Desktime as Consistent User

Reviewed on 11/29/2022

Overall I am quite satisfied as many of my problems have a solution with Desktime.

Pros

Time tracking, billing, ideal time, productive time, activity tracking - as HR Head these features have helped me a lot to monitor my employees' work. The best part is integration, also we don't really have to log in, we simply have desk time running in the background, so no more reminding employees to fill in their timesheets.

Cons

If this could have helped us in Project Management, assigning tasks, checking their task completion, mentioning other EOD reports, etc, this software would have been more helpful to me. An added advantage would be reminders for tasks or other functions related to my department especially.

Tino
  • Industry: Newspapers

Finding the secret "time thieves" with DeskTime

Reviewed on 11/10/2022

Wasting time on unproductive tasks was tremendously reduced as DeskTime assisted me with identifying which tasks don't make me money but just steal time

Pros

DeskTime helps me enormously to find hidden time thieves in my everyday life, which was previously much less productive due to much more multitasking and constantly switching between tasks. By using DeskTime to visually record which unproductive tasks/distractions I deal with on a daily basis, I've been able to proactively address them and have regained a lot of productive work time as a result.

Cons

The visual approach primarily aims to present information in a pragmatic way, but could use a more contemporary touch.

Karlis

Reviewed on 8/9/2021

The number one feature for us is Time Tracking and it seems DeskTime is spending too much time on all other features but has left the Time Tracking without maintenance: (a) web-page tracking does not work on Mac computers for some time now; (b) productive apps & links still does not provide suggestions and we need to click on each to mark them productive/non-productive - I have been doing this for almost 10 years from two different companies and marked thousands of webpages/apps which is applicable for all IT companies, but still no suggestions. This is disappointing and if I would start DeskTime in a new company I would not use this feature (even it's very good) because it's too much work to analyze and mark thousands of web-pages productive and unproductive.

Pros

Time tracking - people can work from home and company is not affected from it. Employees are not disturbed.

Cons

It does not seem to work with Safari multiple other browsers therefore making web-page tracking (productive/unproductive) almost useless as most of the people use Mac computers today.

Response from Draugiem Group

Hi Karlis! Thank you for your review. We should mention that there haven't been any problems with URL tracking for Mac users that we know of - the app tracks only the tab that's open at any given time. This functionality is intentional to obtain precise URL tracking stats. If you do still notice that something's not quite right, please, don't hesitate to contact our support team at desktime.com/support - we'll be glad to help. The DeskTime team

• Customer Support Software

DeskTime is absolutely the go to tool for remote first organizations

Reviewed on 11/29/2022

Overall experience is smooth and easy to navigate and use

Pros

Desk time is very user-friendly as a tool - for both the admin and the user. The good thing is that it tracks every small thing every single day, which helps to keep team members accountable in a remote work setting. It also eliminates the need to have a separate process for attendance.

Cons

I don't particularly appreciate that it does not track time while someone is simply reading. It would be awesome to have a feature that can do that in the future.There is a feature to add idle time - to fill it in if the time was not getting tracked or if the team member forgot to log in. But, that either has to be a separate color or a pop-up above it - or an indicator that can show if some member has filled in the idle time from the setting.

Desklog

Reasons for Switching to DeskTime

Pricing & features are much better and comprehensive. Also, easy to use.
Nithya
  • Industry: Information Services

Great tool

Reviewed on 8/26/2022

All my interactions with desktime has been great.

Pros

Ability to monitor team in a single window. Knowing productive time vs desktime. Gives me peace of mind knowing i am enabled. Trust does mean I am incapable of monitoring, so I have to Trust. Trust means I am capable of monitoring and I trust. The capability factor is facilitated by desktime.

Cons

The team can uninstall or disable the software. I need to control that esp. if office systems are used. I feel that number of screen captures for the configuration do not match, but it does not impact me so much.

Teramind Time Tracking

Reasons for Switching to DeskTime

Cost factor. Also simpler interface. Preferred screenshots over video.
Javier

• Customer Support Software

"Desktime the tool of the future"

Reviewed on 11/11/2022

We are reducing economic and time costs, being able to do the time registration online and automatically when turning on the computer, control of vacation periods, permits and sick leave, among others.

Pros

we like the autonomy of the system, when it comes to starting the computer, desktime is able to start working automatically.In addition, the "private time" option is very useful, so that workers can freely review personal matters during break hours, without worrying about being "monitored".

Cons

At first, there was resistance to the implementation of desktime by the workers, most of them complained about the alleged "invasion of their privacy", this was motivated by the screenshots made by the software.However, the company also chooses to keep the screenshots active, in order to supervise the work.

Time Doctor, Hubstaff and Clockify

Reasons for Switching to DeskTime

Mainly because of their online reviews, but also because when contacting the company requesting information, the response was quick and the pitch convincing.
Colleen
  • Industry: Oil & Energy
  • Company size: 1,001-5,000 Employees

• Customer Support Software

Excellent for time management and team accountability. Helps manage work from home staff.

Reviewed on 11/29/2022

Very beneficial. I feel like my effective productivity was enhanced while I more easily monitored employees to know when they may require productivity guidance. I could easily see who was not focused on work and schedule a quick pep talk or counseling session when needed.

Pros

DeskTime is easily accessed on multiple devices if you have several or want to use a smartphone app. Install time is minimal, and web access makes it accessible 24/7 from anywhere. Great for AOP and budgeting appropriately for future impactful change in the business unit. Allows better coverage for absences of all types.

Cons

There is little to dislike. However, gaps in work time should be easier to manage. Working with end-users and walking away or having walk-in unexpected visitors create various gaps. Maybe if you could highlight several gaps at a time to change to all 'not idle'/productive, it would alleviate the redundancy of changing them one by one so you can label the event with 'meeting' or walk-in, etc.

Trinayan

• Customer Support Software

Useful if you are remote working

Reviewed on 11/10/2022

Pros

Desktime is very useful in our line of work(remote-employees). It helps track of times that makes billing automated without having to submit a timesheet and such. The ability to schedule leaves are very useful as well. I also like how you can take screenshots that are blurred to maintain privacy.

Cons

The log in and out process is a bit of hassle. You can’t just keep the software logged in at all times and then just flick a button to get it started. Of course you can do private time, but that is not very intuitive.

Time Doctor
Mario
  • Industry: Staffing & Recruiting

• Customer Support Software

Amazing, easy to deploy and good value for money

Reviewed on 7/5/2021

We're able to monitor and measure trends within our workforce. This allows us to deploy different tactics and improve time management.

Pros

The fact the product doesn't affect the computer's performance. We've installed in more than 200 computers, and all of them run smoothly.

Cons

The fact we're unable to have screenshots taken for the price we pay for.

TimeCamp and Time Doctor

Dennisse
  • Industry: Telecommunications

Desktime - an HR essential

Reviewed on 11/10/2022

We love Desktime and identified is as an essential tool for management and key to deliver non-negotiables to run the organization.

Pros

Attendance and productivity are typically managed by managers along with HR but processes are usually manual and takes a lot of time. This allowed management and HR to have a tool to monitor and inspect productivity and attendance more effectively.

Cons

Just that the screenshots are not as often captured as i'd like on the operations level.

Microsoft Teams and Workable

Reasons for Choosing DeskTime

Desktime had more customizable features and ease of use. Also value for the money.

Surinder
  • Industry: Research

Amazing, Best Software !

Reviewed on 7/15/2021

So we are able to get the detailed report of each employee and monitor and measure their performance and productivity.

Pros

So, it’s been almost two years having “Desktime” monitoring/tracking us, and we found it is very impressive and easy solution.
The kind of reports and support they provides; we don’t think any contenders would be offering in this arena currently.

We are just planning to offer this product with our all international clients as well. Thanks "Desktime"

Cons

So, We received a concern from the users that sometimes its get unresponsive and than need to restart the software.

Amit
  • Industry: Translation & Localization

• Customer Support Software

One of the best activity monitoring tool

Reviewed on 11/10/2022

Pros

Easy to use version - Stealth and Public/ User interactive mode;The ease of deployment and maintenance;Support on queries/ concerns;

Cons

Stealth mode is works in partial mode (it's not completely invisible);Sometimes it could have dependency with device and internet (issues with it's cont. tracking);With frequent internet packet loss, there are chances the data might not get captured.

TimeCamp, Time Doctor, ProHance, Hubstaff and Teramind DLP

Reasons for Switching to DeskTime

Comparative availability of required Features within the then cost.
Hsiang

I use Desktime everyday!

Reviewed on 1/10/2017

We're a small web design and development company here in Taiwan with about 10-15 person.

We use Desktime on our daily work to track the productivity of our colleagues, though it is not used as a key for employee's evaluation, but it is definitely a tool to help our company boost their attention, which also comes with a good healthy competition, and we will award the best employee of the month thru it.

There's a lot of Desktime we like which we don't usually see on other apps, those includes some automatic detection of the website if they're productive or not, we can also add projects for special tracking, we can also limit the users from their IPs incase they're abusing it at home, lol.

I think Desktime is actually lack of some marketing, it is a worthy competition to Rescue Time, you should give it a try! ;)

Pros

Some features such as project controls, site controls, groups, etc.

Cons

The price and app stability I guess

Rafael
  • Industry: Human Resources

Desktime Review

Reviewed on 8/11/2021

Great! Overall useful, and provides our employees a better understanding of what their overall productivity looks like throughout the day. Provides further support to our teams in terms of productivity in certain projects, and a better understanding of what they are actually doing/working on during business hours.

Pros

Snapshot feature has been absolutely an essential staple during our WFH period due to Covid. Along with productivity monitoring, our leads were able to clarify a better understanding of what our employees are completing throughout the days. Very much have utilized this feature, and has been very helpful to our teams productivity overall.

Cons

The idle time tracker. Simply holding a key down on your keyboard for long periods of time can be tracked as "productive" time and is not the best way of monitoring idle time for employees. However, cross referencing this with the snapshot feature has been a key stable in eliminating this type of behavior.

Brian

• Customer Support Software

Desktime is a friendly but powerful tool for tracking employees

Reviewed on 11/8/2022

Pros

I love how easy it is for employees to see their own hours and what they are doing at the time. It is very clear to managers to see what their employees have been doing and how productive they are.

Cons

No, I'm very satisfied about Desktime. I'm not sure how I would rate it bad except that Teams call isn't reported on there.

Peggy
  • Industry: Research

Best work from home app

Reviewed on 8/9/2021

It's been a very useful app especially for majority of us who had to transition from physical work at the office to working from home. It helps both the user and the teams being monitored to all put in the required effort to get things done whilst also being conscious of our health:)

Pros

apart from the obvious tracking and monitoring of the teams, I have found desk time to be very helpful in managing my work life balance. Reminds me to take a break, stand up and stitch and drink some water etc. This sounds simple and obvious but sometimes you lose track of time and so these small reminders really help you relax and re-focus which makes you more productive!

Cons

The fact that screenshots are taken in the background - that is not very security smart

Viktor

Fantastic Service, yet Needs Direction

Reviewed on 1/9/2017

A great service that allows tracking and reporting on computer use - its scalability, ease of installation and general ease of use allow it work very well for my organization and for many others, I assume.

That said, there are several features that were available previously that are no longer baseline. It is important for DeskTime to determine exactly in which direction they want to push their features and their tracking, as the inability to track activity in one way, may avoid a need for DeskTime altogether.

Specifically, allowing the reporting to break down a users' actions within a given hour has disappeared from the transition of Desktime to New Desktime and this feature specifically allows us to gather insights.

All-in-all, Desktime is a very powerful tool for management and for reporting and team performance assessment, yet could take an extra step in defining some key features. More desktop alerts, stronger hour-reporting, and offline time mapping would all help in making Desktime the ultimate tool for time management.

Pros

-Great reporting for activities
-Administrative rights are defined correctly

Cons

-Lacking significant alerts
-Private time can't be mapped to specific periods within the day
-Full-screen applications override private-time notifications

Natasha

DeskTime Review, Electric Boogalew

Reviewed on 11/8/2022

I'm very impressed by DeskTime. It does nearly all the things I enjoy with tracking my billed time, without me having to do much (except for reassigning what many other companies consider 'un-productive' sites, since I work in social media and Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, among others, are essential to my work day).

Pros

DeskTime is incredibly easy to use, with very little fanfare. It's simple to assign apps on their productivity and non-productive ones. I love especially that DeskTime even shows the time on what project I'm working on, and not just the name of the software.

Cons

I haven't used DeskTime for long, but I can't see anywhere I could write a note on the idle time I've had during my work day to jot down meetings, on-location assignments photo-/film-shoots etc.

Mario
  • Industry: Outsourcing/Offshoring

DeskTime, Synonym of Trust

Reviewed on 8/18/2022

I'm solving billing inquiries. We have the best way to demonstrate our clients that work has been done for them. We are also solving employee disengagement when in idle status or using non-productive tools for an extended period of time.

Pros

Employee and time tracking are extremely useful. It's fully customizable to the point of allowing a group of employees the use of social media (for example the marketing department) and not applying the same rule to the rest of the teams. We trust our billing to Desktime reported times.

Cons

Can't think of any until this point. We have been using it for quite a few years now.

Sahil

Critical Assessment Made Easy

Reviewed on 8/18/2022

The overall experience has been very good with the Desktime tool. It really helps to save a lot of time.

Pros

Time tracking - This is the most critical aspect of the tool. We use Desktime to pull the reports for time management. From time taken to complete any project to monitoring the efficiency and productivity of each and every employee. Helps to save a lot of time.

Cons

None as of now. most of the features are really helpful.

Zoho CRM

Reasons for Switching to DeskTime

Lack of effective time reporting and complexities involved
Roger

Pretty Good Software

Reviewed on 7/12/2021

This software definitely helps improve our employees productivity, especially since they know they are being tracked. It also helps us make decisions on if a process needs to be changed or streamlined.

Pros

The Time Tracking is a big plus. We also really like the project feature.

Cons

I think that the integrations are great, but can be worked on. For example, with the Trello Integration, it does sync with DeskTime at a really good interval, however, if we delete or edit a task or project in Trello, it does not edit and/ or delete the task or project in DeskTime. Editing the times that employees log is a little cumbersome as an administrator. I should be able to edit or delete extra time that was logged incorrectly. Also we have had issues with projects being archived. If the amount of time between when a project has been logged could be extended, that would be great.

Response from Draugiem Group

Hi Roger! Thank you for the honest feedback. We are continuously working on improving our product and will take your review into consideration. The DeskTime team