Hemlane

All-in-one leasing and property management solution

4.8/5
4.7/5
4.6/5
Customer Support Software
4.9/5

Andrew

• Customer Support Software

Makes my life much easier

Reviewed on 10/10/2018

Mostly excellent! Their team is very responsive and supportive of any issues. They want YOU to succeed. They even helped me see that one of my units was underpriced and I ended up renting it out for $100/month more.

Pros

Hemlane makes it really easy for me to manage, collect and refund payments for tenants. I've been very pleased with that functionality and also the marketing automation. E.g. when you post a listing for a unit, it will automatically get posted on all the major sites where renters are looking. Then once people inquire, there is an automated e-mail response that encourages prospective tenants to fill out an application or reach out to the property contact with questions. I find this a very efficient way to manage dozens of inquiries when I post an availability and screen tenants efficiently. The application allows you to easily collect all the information for screening tenants in one place.

Cons

The user interface could use improvement. I had to reach out to support with questions a few times to learn how it works. It's not as intuitive as it could be which has created more of a learning curve than I would have liked. Processing online payments takes longer than I'd like (3-4 days)- though honestly this is probably more the fault of the ACH Network rather than anything Hemlane has control over.

Response from Hemlane

Thanks Andrew for your review! We look forward to continuing to make the user experience the best in the industry! And we are happy to hear about the increased revenue with your rentals.

Jenny

I like Hemlane

Reviewed on 11/3/2020

It's been a good experience overall.

Pros

The main features I use are the rent payment options and maintenance requests. I have really only used it for rent payments/income and electronic payment management, plus maintenance requests. It's helped me keep track of rent payments, it's also been greatly accepted by the tenants who really prefer to set up automatic electronic payments for their rent. It's also nice to have tenants contact me via Hemlane.com for maintenance/repair issues. It's much easier to track items that need addressing and it's less stressful to be contacted in that way.

Cons

I don't have any major complaints currently, definitely happy with it overall.

AppFolio Property Manager

Reasons for Switching to Hemlane

The other products I was looking at had a higher minimum number of units (different payment structure too). The others were also built/focused on much larger property management operations.
Reese

Good enough

Reviewed on 2/18/2022

Good enough

Pros

Tenants call in for maintenance and I don’t have to take the calls

Cons

Lack of communication from Hemlane to service professionals

Jennette

Organized at last

Reviewed on 12/16/2019

Customer service has been my favorite part of this experience, followed closely by the hours of time saved managing my 40+ college student tenants.

Pros

It automates many of the tasks that used to take me hours to complete. It organizes and tracks payments so I don't need to go looking for records.

Cons

A little expensive. Wish there was a way to sort the full list of tenants by alphabet order, or by unit, or by move-out date. A calendaring option would also be great, for scheduling cleaning checks, maintenance, trash days, etc that both landlord and tenant can view.

Buildium and TenantCloud

Reasons for Switching to Hemlane

Customer service, customizable payment requests
Danny
  • Company size: 5,001-10,000 Employees

• Customer Support Software

Great product for partial self-management on remote properties.

Reviewed on 5/7/2019

I own 21 properties, 30 doors. We experimented with 2 properties in Florida (I live in Utah) and we were very impressed at how well it worked. We have recently moved 2 more remote properties from Illinois and 2 from Tennessee. We would move all our Florida properties over if Hemlane had a larger footprint in Florida.

I also use their "simple" option for my local properties now which allows me to use there financial tools to collect rent and manage tenant needs w/o their local network of agents and full maintenance service.

It is a good tool for those that want to reduce program management cost and be a little more involved with the program management itself w/o being overwhelmed.

Pros

- Allows me to cut property management costs significantly while still having 3rd party property management tools at my disposal.
- Allows me the flexibility to choose how involved I want to be in the management process.
- Provides excellent financial tools and workflows to collect rent, handle late fees and pay team professionals online. All of which is automated.
- Fully handles maintenance requests from tenants where I have full visibility and can interact as needed.
- Handles tenant emergency calls.
- Provides a local network of quality leasing agents that I can work with on property turns. Has excellent advertisement workflows and capabilities. Just had my first turn under hemlane and it was excellent.
- The dashboard view and financial ledger are real time and easier to understand then monthly text reports from full property managers.
- Product keeps improving.

Cons

- Some tenants had issues setting up automatic payments early on.
- Doesn't have a way to group properties.

Response from Hemlane

Thank you, Danny, for your review!
We sincerely appreciate it and look forward to continuing to work with you and expand our local agent partnerships to more regions for you.

Brian

Best Value and Easy to Use

Reviewed on 3/8/2020

They are very responsive. The agent I used to get the account was awesome and easy to work with.

Pros

I like that it's automated. My tenants use it with ease and I can see where the money is at. It links directly with my bank accounts and keeps the books for me.
It's as close to having a book keeper that I've ever had.

Cons

The interest in showing screen, I have to create a showing first and then I can invite them, not just invite them to the showing.

Response from Hemlane

Thanks, Brian, for your kind review! And we have some new enhancements with showings. I think you will enjoy them (you can automatically invite a tenant to a showing now)!

Matt

Great Property Management Solution

Reviewed on 6/15/2022

Pros

Hemlane is great because it’s easy to use, inexpensive, and has a lot of great features. Additionally, the support team is great!

Cons

I wish it could stay logged in on my browser and phone so that I didn’t have to enter login info every time I want to access it.

Piyush

• Customer Support Software

Managing payments and property is so easy now

Reviewed on 4/12/2019

Hemlane has made my job easier and quicker. The fee charged by Hemlane is really nominal and I have blessed by the client by going onto this software.

Pros

I get everything from this. I have been managing my clients house in Georgia since more that 6 months now and I have been like 100% satisfied with the ease of it.
I have had issues with payments but the customer care was so good that it got resolved smoothly.
Sending notices, getting lease documents recorded and everything else has been extremely easy

Cons

So far so good. Nothing that I have liked less about this.

Response from Hemlane

Thanks, Piyush, for your kind review on Hemlane! We are so glad that you and your clients are happy with our services. If you need anything from us, then don't hesitate to reach out to us. We're here to make your rentals a success!

Michael

Hemlane Enthusiast

Reviewed on 12/1/2020

I have 7 doors in 2 states, one door with Hemlane and 6 with a private management company. Considering what a management company does and charges, Hemlane is a steal! With Hemlane's Complete Package, I'm strongly considering taking all of my units to Hemlane.

Pros

Financials (scheduling rent, utilities, etc.)
Messaging my tenant
Electronic document filing

Cons

I had some issues with deleting an old bank account. Hard to say if this wasn't my own fault, though.

Response from Hemlane

Thanks Michael for your kind review! And, we look forward to supporting you with the Complete package if you're considering that for the other properties!

Maddie

Great experience!

Reviewed on 3/18/2022

I have had a great experience using Hemlane. I moved to a new city over an hour away and instead of selling my house, I wanted to make it a rental property. The rental property industry/ process was all very new to me and Hemlane made it very easy. I have the "Complete" package and it gives me a huge sense of relief.

I did not need an agent to help find a tenant, but I do use all of the other features in the package. I am not the first point of contact the tenants go to if there are any issues with the house. The tenants go directly to Hemlane. I was able to provide Hemlane with services providers that I have worked with in the past that I trust and know will do a good job. Hemlane will coordinate any repairs with those service providers and ensure the job gets done.

Overall, I have been very happy using Hemlane. They have been responsive to my questions and have fulfilled all of my requests. They are professional and you can tell they want to ease the stress of owning a rental property.

Pros

I have only been using Hemlane for less than 6 months, but so far what I like most about this software is the Dashboard. This allows me to see at a quick glance the following information; outstanding tasks, quick stats of my property, and quick jump links to other areas of the site that are frequently used.

Cons

My honest review is that I have not found something that I dislike about Hemlane. All of my requests have been fulfilled.

Julian

• Customer Support Software

The Best Property Management Software For Real-Estate Investors and Entrepreneurs

Reviewed on 1/24/2017

Hemlane is a wonderful tech enabled property management solution for real-estate investors looking for a cloud based and client centric partner that allows them to streamline their operations, cut costs, and interface with tenants and vendors in a time efficient manner. Hemlane's software is intuitive and brings traditionally cumbersome and time consuming property management processes such as rent collection, vendor coordination and payment, and leasing in to a time efficient and seamless system enabled by a superior technology backed by a professional and responsive staff. Whether you are a small real-estate investor looking to self-manage passive income generating properties, or are a full time real-estate professional with an existing full service property management staff and large portfolio, Hemlane can help modernize and professionalize your property management processes.

Pros

Hemlane is intuitive, client centric, and I like that it is developed first for a cloud and mobile environment.

Cons

I only hope that Hemlane keeps adding features I reccommend--they have been very receptive to client feedback, and work to incorporate both design and functional changes as they make iterative improvements to their platform, and build out the technology's capabilities.

• Customer Support Software

A huge step forward for managing rental properties

Reviewed on 2/10/2021

I've owned and managed a group of five out-of-state rental properties for over 10 years. In that time, I've used a variety of systems and professional management companies in my effort to streamline operations. I switched to Hemlane a couple years ago, and these last two years have been, by far, the smoothest -- both operationally and financially. The combination of well-designed software with the on-the-ground Hemlane maintenance team is exactly what I needed. I'm able to configure everything the way I need it. The value of the service is excellent.

Pros

This is almost exactly the software and system I would design for my own needs. It's very easy to get going, but it's also highly configurable. The support team is excellent.

Cons

Aside from a few UI tweaks I'd like to see, it would be great to have the accounting side of things integrate directly with my bank, such that Hemlane can double as my accounting solution. Apparently, this is in the works!

Peter

Leasing Specialty

Reviewed on 5/2/2019

Excellent, the customer service has been outstanding. Also the ease of operation is great. A software these days shouldn't take weeks to master, and Hemlane is very easy to use and I feel I understand how to do things without calling or needing outside help.

Pros

The ease of use, the functions are all really easy and user friendly.

Cons

The time it takes for payments to go through. Electronically should be faster than a check. If the tenants deposit a check it will take maximum7 days to fully clear their bank. If their hemlane electronic first payment takes up to 10 days to verify it is a deterrent for them to sign up for the maintenance program.

Response from Hemlane

Thank you Peter for your kind review! We sincerely appreciate you taking time to write about our services.

We enjoy working with you and look forward to continuing to enhance our features for you (especially the faster payout for rent)!

Miguel

Very easy to use

Reviewed on 1/13/2021

Overall my experience has been great!
Tech support is excellent and response time is within 12hrs.

Pros

- Easy to use.
- Applicant screening reports back on the same day.
- Tech support always responds within 12hrs.
- Different pricing options depending on the features I need to run my business.
- Easy way to copy html code to paste on craigslist ad.

Cons

- Would be helpful to convert rent rolls and income & expense statements to PDF document for easy print or sending to landlords.
- In the application page would be good to include a field asking applicants to submit copy of photo ID.

AppFolio Property Manager

Price
Doug

• Customer Support Software

Best business decision of 2020!

Reviewed on 1/13/2021

I’m staring a my computer a bit more these days, but that’s a good thing. It keeps me focused on the business in a concise way. As long as they keep improving and innovating (add a newsletter feature, add the ability to send images to tenants, etc) without raising prices, I’ll eagerly be a LONG term customer.

Pros

I love the automated rent collection. It really takes away all the hassles time normally spent on reconciling accounts. That’s my favorite feature. But I also love the msintanence portal, the marketing, and the ability to blanket message LARGE groups of tenants at one time... either for outages, Maint notices, parties or just a sweet holiday greeting.

Cons

On-boarding existing tenants. This is monotonous and time consuming. But it’s a one-time hardship, and after that you’re essentially all set up with smooth sailing ahead. Occasionally there is a weird anomaly, but tech support is always right on it. In my experience, zero down time. I’m really loving it.

Hyunyoung

Highly recommend it

Reviewed on 1/18/2017

I moved for my job and left my property to OneRent for rental income. And then I had to fire them because of their poor performance and lack of communication. The transition was challenging not only because I was away, but also because OneRent won't cooperate. the founder was very patient & professional to handle all the issues and bring everything back into normal. While I was struggling with OneRent, I missed the chance to rent out my place, but she was able to find a good tenant after 3 showings.

There are a bit of work involved - filling a few forms and so on. But these are the things that any landlord would like to be involved or at least wants to know. There is absolute transparency in the process and the fee is substantially low. Most of all, Dana is very knowledgeable and fantastic at handling the issues.

One more thing - not sure if OneRent was trying to rip me off or if the price with Hemlane experts are reasonable. In any case, I got two quotes from these two property managers for the same job and Hemlane's quote is 40% lower than OneRent.

In all, I highly recommend hiring Hemlane - it is good to know what's going on and my property manager has my back.

Pros

Transparency on the rental business and good communication channel with my tenants & property manager.

Cons

Need some work to complete the work - not exactly full service, but it is good that I could have a control.

Great Product That is Constantly Being Updated

Reviewed on 10/3/2018

Hemlane has begun to drastically change the way we operate our business. It is great to be able to keep all lease documents, maintenance requests, payment information/history, etc. all in one place. The site is easy to navigate, has a pleasing user interface, and its feature set always seems to be improving.

Pros

Customer Service has been great about getting back to me quickly with answers to my questions and listens to my feedback about how current features could be improved and about new features that would benefit my business.

Cons

Some useful features have not been released yet.

Response from Hemlane

Thank you for the review! And, we can't wait to get more great features out for you.

Shaun

Hemlame is a Great Software Partner Who Has Helped Our Business Grow

Reviewed on 11/13/2019

We are a full sales, leasing and property management team. We use Hemlane to market our listings and to manage our tenants and owners

Pros

Its intuitive, easy to learn and there is great support.

Cons

That we only found it recently, we wish we have been using it for years!

Response from Hemlane

Thanks Shaun for your review, and our team looks forward to supporting you and your business!

• Industry: Semiconductors
  • Used Monthly for 1+ year

Hemlane

Reviewed on 8/3/2018

I have been using Hemlane a little over a year now for a condo rental property and I am very satisfied and pleased with the service and tools they provide.

When I need help, I get prompt feedback and support. The online tool is great to have one place to go to manage and see the status on my rental properties, communicate with the tenants and see any open issues. I think Hemlane is a great value for the money. Hemlane is geared towards those landlords that want to stay a little bit involved with the management activities, rather than have someone do 100% and not be involved or bothered at all. But, their tool and service make it easier to do. And the fee structure is more based upon paying for the service you use, as opposed to flat monthly %'s of the rent. Overall, I am very pleased with Hemlane and would highly recommend them.

Pros

Cons

I know I can get a summary, but maybe a more detailed itemization of annual expenses for tax purposes would be good.

Judy
  • Used Daily for Free Trial

Apartment Rental

Reviewed on 10/2/2019

I have an apartment for rent and utilized the free trial to post my listing and also for the application background and credit check. It was so nice not to have to deal with the application, the exchange of funds etc and the report was perfect. Thank you!

Pros

I was on a free trial and felt supported by team every step of the way.

Cons

None - it was easy to set up and use. This review system is not as great though lol

Response from Hemlane

Judy,
We're glad you enjoy using Hemlane and the automation we built. Our goal is for all users to spend less time managing the process.

Krystal

Inexpensive and Functional

Reviewed on 6/23/2020

Pros

I like how easy it is to advertise a property.

Cons

The financial section can get tricky but otherwise works well.

Gouri
  • Company size: 501-1,000 Employees

Hemlane Review

Reviewed on 2/12/2022

Overall Experience using Hemlane is very good and I am able to manage the online property easily.

Pros

What I liked most about Hemlane is it's customer support and well documentation. And it is very easy to manage property online and reports on top of that.

Cons

What I disliked about Hemlane is, I face much issues in navigating to one tab to other tab. Other than all good using Hemlane.

Mike

Hemlane is ideal for my 5 properties

Reviewed on 2/22/2017

This company has ridiculous customer service, free onboarding, and a simple product. There are a couple of additional features that I want added to the software, but there are workarounds and the team is good at listening to me to have these features added to their enhancement list.
I really like their marketing software -- it makes it easy to advertise my rental properties and see prospective tenants in one pipeline. I have only used the product for 2 months, but was able to get a renter very quickly through it.

Pros

It is simple and I don't get lost in it. I really like their marketing feature (made it easy to find a good renter) and their free onboarding.

Cons

I asked for a couple of things that are not in the software yet -- task reminders and send checks to my vendors.

Joel

How’s it been going for me for the first 3 months

Reviewed on 10/23/2020

Pros

The software is really easy to use.
My clients are easily able to navigate through the platform. Communicate with me, I’m easily notified and can respond quickly.
Paying rent is easy and convenient through instead of paying rent by mail or in person.

Cons

I only been using the software for about 3 months and haven’t really noticed anything I don’t like about it.

Response from Hemlane

Thanks Joel for the review, and we look forward to continuing to work with you on your property management.

David

• Customer Support Software

Great software to track your rental properties finances and marketing

Reviewed on 1/8/2020

Im able to see when a tenant paid rent and it automatically adds late fees and deposits into my banking account. I can market a rental property and get it rented quickly on several sites simultaneously.

Pros

Automated rent notifications to my tenants with automatic late fees added.

Cons

There isnt a mobile app yet. Interaction in the financials page is a bit difficult to make changes to late fees

Response from Hemlane

Thanks for the review, David! And, we look forward to making Financials even easier for you in the upcoming months.