1,074 reviews

Airtable

Cloud-based organization & collaboration tool

4.7 /5 (1074 reviews) Write a Review!
4.7
4.6
1,074 reviews
Lissa K.
Industry: Health, Wellness & Fitness

Great for CRM!

Reviewed on 2020-11-22

Great we use this for CRM for office supply management and daily tasks

Pros

I love that this is like a spreadsheet and functions similar with use of conditions filters and data sorting

Cons

I would like more controls on the admin side that are not available on the side of the collaborator such as filters

Shawn J.
Industry: Photography

Great Amalgamation of a Spreadsheet & Database

Reviewed on 2020-03-22

I have used AirTable in several areas of my life, but the best example is with a high school program I volunteer with. We have 150 students with 15 advisors, with over 100 data points, in 20 locations. Prior to AirTable, keeping track of everything was a nightmare. Something as simple as trying to contact a student involved either all advisors adding all 150 students into their phone contact list (and update every year) or calling the lead advisor who had to look through a stack of papers to find a number. With AirTable it was as simple as typing in their name and pressing their cell number which automatically dialed them up. I could go on and on about how much AirTable has changed the way I do many aspects of my business and personal life, this was just an example to show how easy it makes things.

Pros

The fact that basically all database applications I tried were basically meant for enterprise-level businesses, and generally required a steep learning curve to even set up. I only needed basic database functionality, and to be able to easily edit single or groups of entries. AirTable solved this perfectly. Also, the team over there seem to be constantly adding on new functionality, which I see and realize that could solve problems I did not even realize I had. The best part is just how easy it is to use. I have some people on my team that are far from tech-savvy, and with a quick overview, they were even able to utilize it.

Cons

Their forms have a bit to be desired, but that is mostly just the appearance when I send them out. Also when sorting and filtering, it requires 3 or so clicks, when I think they could make it one.

Ing siang T.
Industry: Government Administration
Company size: 1,001-5,000 Employees

Early User and a Returning Addict

Reviewed on 2018-12-05

Overall I am a super fan of Airtable - first discovered, fell in love, and told everyone I knew about Airtable 3-4 years ago, IIRC when they first appear on Product Hunt. Build a whole bunch of bases to manage my person life (book list, financial trackers, a large inter-linked base to track 3D printing activities for a local maker space etc.). Stopped using it for awhile because I was focusing on my day job for a few years, before coming back to do side projects and businesses.

Ended up build a tracker for my subscription business, with automated renewal and receipt email generation via Zapier. Airtable is not perfect but it made a non-coder me into someone who can create a solution that’s “almost there”. I always tell people - Airtable can’t do everything (like a fully customized software) but 80% of your need can be satisfied by Airtable with 20% of effort, broadly speaking.

I also love their Customer Services - while it is no longer the Airtable 2-3 years ago where I just chat using the chat tool (Intercom or..?) and ask UX related questions as they come to me (simple questions, not too different from asking a coworker in your office) and even caught the CEO Howie Lou a few times; it is still a very well supported software/ company where the CS team actually know the system really well and does’t just shove canned responses in your face.

Overall, lots of love for Airtable!

Pros

Ease of use, basically a database without the complexity of being one. No more managing of tabulated data via spreadsheet or simple table in word processing software. I also like the fact that I can do data entry in expanded and table views (I have a base called “Ideas”, where each column correspond to an area of interest in idea generation, e.g. Problem, Market, Competition, Elevator Pitch etc. - which the preferred data entry method is in the Expanded Jew; where as for base such as my “Bank Transactions Tracker”, the table field is better.

I also like how they aren’t just focusing on being American (yay to company that bother to cater to ALL date format under the sky) although for some other colum type they haven’t got down to it yet (telephone number etc.).

Personally I am a big fan of the Pro feature Blocks, which I used to create performace dashboards for my freelance subscription business. The Blocks feature is the only reason I opt to pay, although I am paying mostly out of my credits accumulated during the earlier days of Airtable.

Also like the community that’s building on top of it, forum is very active and lots of power users to learn from.

Combine with with other IaaS tool such as Zapier and you get a really powerful tool.

Cons

Insufficient control (can be easy to make mistake such as accidental typing etc.), lack of data validation (upon data entry), and interface could use more customization (e.g. lots of empty/white spaces in Card views, can’t have multiple lines in field header etc.).

Industry: Animation

fantastic solution for information-oriented project management

Reviewed on 2018-03-27

Pros

* lends itself well to building information tracking resources
* simple data-driven layout
* scalable project areas

my operations team uses airtable to manage a lot of information flow and have converted complex tracking resources into the airtable format. the fact that we now utilize the app for a lot of these solutions is a testament to its immediate strengths. i enjoy how airtable doesn't necessarily force me into any specific workflow, which has been the major reason why other project management solutions don't work--everyone has a different philosophy around project management.

Cons

* pricing model
* learning curve
* communication management
* lack of certain standard features

there are a lot of glaring pain points that my team encounters on a weekly basis which makes airtable, not necessarily the perfect solution but rather the best we've found so far.

first off, airtable is too expensive for my company based specifically on their pricing model. to note, airtable charges per user per workspace. each member of my team manages specific projects related to a different area of the business. for ease of organization, we have a separate airtable workspace built to accomodate each employee. for example, we have a workspace for finance projects and a workspace for customer support projects. from a visual project management standpoint, this makes the most sense. sometimes our finance manager will need to engage and comment on a project base going on in the customer support workspace and vice versa. this engagement occurs daily.

if you're a single user, incredibly small team or your company is client-based (where these costs would go into your billing), airtable's pricing model may not be much of a hinderance.

there is a high learning curve when you get started. this is about a week of tutorials and deep-diving into the app. a lot of this time was spent modifying personal workflows to best utilize airtable. after that week of hair-pulling and a lot of cursing at our computer screens everything immediately became easier.

one strong flaw in airtable is its team communication solutions. you have the ability to run comment strings on individual data rows, but an overall tab dedicated to general discussion would be immensely helpful to streamline discussion and reduce the amount of hunting/pecking for information.

for a project management solution, airtable is fairly weak at offering seemingly standard task management features like scheduled notifications and workback timelines. after enough online digging, you can sometimes stumble upon a "good enough" solution. on this subject, archiving is not at all available, which is one of the more "seriously?" missing features.

Likelihood to recommend: 6.0/10

Sydney C.
Industry: Professional Training & Coaching

Highly Recommend

Reviewed on 2019-08-13

We've implemented Airtable as a CRM for lead generation and tracking communication with new propsects for each of our clients. We are also using it internally as a CRM to track our clients, we have a base for managing our podcast production, our weekly blogs, and each of our contractors have their own base to track the progress of their work.

Pros

I love how easy it is to use and how clean and uncluttered it looks. It makes sorting, filtering, grouping so easy and easy to read. It also it so easy to track metrics - no need for formulas anymore.

Cons

I wish it could hide rows otherwise there is nothing I don't like.

Benjamin N.
Industry: Computer Software

Airtable - endlessly adaptable

Reviewed on 2019-09-04

I use airtable as a CRM and project planner.

Pros

I love the variety of things you can do on Airtable. If you want to use it for a simple CRM or project tracker you can use one of many premade templates and have up and running within minutes. But you also customise your tables endlessly using a variety of features and add-ons. It has a great community of users with helpful suggestions and awesome ideas. Using one such idea I hooked up Airtable to Slack using Zapier and built custom notifications for myself. The custom fields are great for data validation and inserting formulae. It's a great product and really fun to use.

Cons

There's not a lot I dislike about it. I would say that when building complex formulae some better error messages would be useful. Sometimes it takes a long time to work out what you have done wrong (in my case a misplaced comma).

Michelle M.
Industry: Internet

Airtable - Visual Data, Browser Friendly, Easy To Use

Used Monthly for 1+ year
Reviewed on 2019-10-22

Overall, I really liked this app, and I have already recommended it to folks who have projects that need some kind of group and resource management tool but don't warrant a full-blown project management suite. I found the free version to be very flexible in use, and the pre-designed tables they offer as templates are well thought-out.

Pros

The interface is one of the most appealing things about Airtable, once you figure out that it's ALL visual. If you already have some kind of background in using databases or embedded spreadsheets, the process of cataloging your information in Airtable is extremely easy. If you forget a table/group/collection, there is almost always a way to add it on the fly without having to start your entire project over. Put anything you want into your tables, like photos, video, URLs, MP3s, or documents. I like that no one has to download anything to use Airtable - it works in a browser.

Cons

When I set this up for a band I was managing, I couldn't find instructional video to direct them to as a tutorial. The members without computer background still needed hand-holding because they were expecting more menus spelling out exactly what to do, like in a computer app.

Seth H.
Industry: Consumer Electronics
Company size: 5,001-10,000 Employees

The Tool Every Organized Person Needs In Their Life

Reviewed on 2018-08-02

I have used Airtable since its early days for a variety of business and personal uses. And that's what I love about it: it's so flexible that it can meet just about any use case. At work, it has helped me organize complex projects, track content libraries, provide detailed documentation about major website overhauls, and more. In the time I've used it, I've been impressed with the rich feature sets that are regularly added, and the documentation is helpful. The team at Airtable seems to really understand who their customers are and what they need to be successful.

Pros

The greatest feature of Airtable is how flexible and customizable it is. If you can dream it, there's probably a way to do it in Airtable. Usually, that type of flexibility comes with a poor user interface or a steep learning curve. Not so with Airtable. It starts where users are familiar (a basic spreadsheet) and makes it easy to add on powerful features. You don't have to be a database guru to gain major efficiencies.

Cons

I wish there were more formatting options for the long text fields, particularly for Markdown support. This would leave the field essentially plain text on the backend, but would render stylistically on the front end. This would allow for many new use cases for the platform.

Rachel G.
Industry: Management Consulting

Amped up Excel

Reviewed on 2018-08-29

I love Airtable! As a consultant I'm using it now on 3 different projects and everyone who I've invited to join loves it. It's intuitive to use if you're familiar with Excel and easy to bring people in. The free version they offer is amazing and you should start there. Before you dive in, review the template space so you can get creative ideas on how to start building your bases.

Pros

I love that it's structured like an Excel doc - it makes learning it and teaching others really easy. The ability to group, filter, and sort is amazing and the multiple views create visualizations for people who see things differently.
The vast number of templates to use or start from is unmatched in the project management software space.
Customer service is incredible. They're help FAQs online are great, and if you reach out to talk with someone they are responsive with helpful info.

Cons

It's not easy to sort something out of view (e.g. a checkmark column for done items, there's a workaround but it could be easier)
It's difficult to have dependencies like Excel (e.g. if I select a date in the column, populate a date in the other)
For project management, it's not the easiest to handle sub-tasks. You can create a column for the main task and then group on that, but for projects with many main tasks it becomes cumbersome to rely on always having it grouped that way.
You can't copy a template into an existing base.
Pricing per user, per account. It would be amazing to upgrade only certain bases so all users on my account are counted the same.

April H.
Industry: Recreational Facilities & Services

Easy Solution for Collaboration

Reviewed on 2020-09-22

My overall experience has been very positive. Finding this product was like a breath of fresh air after wading through several others. We were able to jump right in, import our existing data, make easy updates and implement it into our operations immediately.

Pros

We needed a product to manage not only effectively manage our leads and contacts, but to easily collaborate across team members. Airtable has done exactly that. The software is user friendly and not at all cumbersome to easily get the information where it needs to go and to be easily reviewed by other team members. We also really like the analytic features that give quick glances at our data. Another great feature is how the administrator can grant permissions to different team members based on their roles in the project to be able to give editing and viewing access where appropriate. Overall a great, easy tool that we heavily use.

Cons

The software really does everything we need. My only feedback would that it sometimes seems difficult to link contacts together within different data sheets. There’s options to do it but for how user friendly the rest of the program is, it’s not as obvious in this aspect. More training may help but it’s not as intuitive as the rest of the prospect.

Hilary paige S.

Great, highly customizable tool

Reviewed on 2020-06-23

I am a power user of AirTable and I use it for everything. I've also used it extensively for personal projects. This is my go-to tool for small businesses because it has so many applications.

Pros

AirTable is very customizable and their template library is second to none. I've used it in depth to organize projects for entire teams and I've used for everything from content calendars to request forms. It is such a powerful tool for marketers.

Cons

AirTable is very easy to break. It requires very detailed documentation on the part of the administrator to help teams understand why the may see filters disappear or things seemingly get deleted.

Sarah B.
Industry: Marketing & Advertising

Fantastic relational database to manage projects effectively

Reviewed on 2021-01-13

Airtable makes it easy for us to create workspaces for all of our projects, where we can store all types of files and always have them at hand, we can work as a team and collaborate with our colleagues from anywhere while continuing to make progress in the fulfillment of our tasks. It encourages organized and collaborative work, saving execution time. It is efficient, intuitive and collaborative software, ideal for any organization that needs to store, analyze and manage information.

Pros

We have been able to plan and manage all our projects through the creation of workspaces where we store and share all kinds of data, from text to images and documents. Airtable's interface is very familiar as it is a spreadsheet type and its features, functions and reports provide us with all the facilities to advance in our projects. The best relational database.

Cons

It takes a little time to adopt the software, so you have to be patient to take advantage of its many features, the learning curve to overcome is really worth it.

Justin C.
Industry: Design

Airtable has changed the way I think about... almost everything

Reviewed on 2017-01-09

Airable can be hard to wrap your head around at first. Is it spreadsheet software? Project management software? A visual relational database tool? An Evernote or Trello replacement?

Yes. To all of that. Sort of.

Visually, Airtable resembles spreadsheet software, with columns and rows of sortable data. But you can't crunch numbers or produce quarterly earnings statements with Airtable. Airtable is a database management tool, so you can use it to manage anything you would put in a database. But because of the visually-oriented approach Airtable takes, that means go way beyond organizing contacts or saving recipes.

I currently use Airtable to:

- manage a year long project with multiple sub-projects and team members who collaborate via Airtable
- keep track of home projects, including reference imagery and shopping lists for each project
- organize donors to my non-profit project, including reminders of when I should get in touch with people and how they contributed to the project
- catalogue home design and architectural inspiration

Like Trello and Evernote, the possibilities of Airtable expand the more you use it. It's elegantly designed, ruggedly engineered and fun to use.

Pros

- Elegant UI design
- Intuitive UX (user experience) design
- Flexible and adaptable to nearly any workflow
- Collaboration with team members
- It's free

Cons

- The collaboration is great but could be improved with chat/conversations that operate more like Google Docs comments

Tyler A.
Industry: Marketing & Advertising

Great organizational tool (once it's set up)

Reviewed on 2019-12-12

I've used AirTable for over a year now and it has grown on me quite a bit. Once everything is set up, it's easy to stay organized, keep track of projects, and communicate with the rest of the team.

Pros

It's very easy to keep track of my projects and communicate with other stakeholders all within the same platform. There's a lot of helpful customization you can do within project cards. For example, we put opportunity briefs within the project card rather than having to link to an external Google doc. In other words, you can put everything you need in the same place.

Cons

I remember being very confused at the beginning with AirTable. It operates sort of like an Excel Spreadsheet and all those codes and formulas certainly overwhelm. Thankfully I had a Project Manager set everything up. Without her, it would have been a headache to set everything up from scratch.

Also, the mobile app isn't great. In my experience, it's much more difficult to organize from the mobile view.

Likelihood to recommend: 7.0/10

Industry: Hospitality

At first suspicious, but now 100% on board.

Reviewed on 2019-12-13

I was hesitant to adopt Airtable because at first glance it doesn't look like anything special. It seemed like a glorified spreadsheet, but it's so much more than that.

It's incredibly versatile. We use it for project management, data tracking and a supplier relationship management system. Our team is small and couldn't adopt salesforce, but honestly this is almost just as good for our use case and much much cheaper.

Pros

-It's clear and easy to use
-Great support and tutorials to get the most out of it
-very versatile, lots of uses

Cons

- There are a few ways it could be more complex and better to use, like with filters and how it could integrate into different tables

Industry: Construction

LOVE IT

Reviewed on 2018-11-13

If there was a magical, mythical unicorn of the software world this is it. It came prancing into my life like a dream. Rainbows and all. It is colorful, simple, sleek, customization, free, and a software you could only dream of existing. It is more than the mythical unicorn, it is the Cadillac unicorn that you pimped out with exactly what you want; no BS.

Pros

Free, free, freeeeeeeeeeee

In the world of subscription based EVERYTHING it is nice to have a software I can utilize free of charge! There is a LOT MORE to it if you pay the incredibly low monthly fee, but it is a highly valuable software without it!

Let me put it this way, it is simple enough that ANYBODY can use it. I set up the bases (super easy) and my other family members fill them in. We are a small family business, so the ease of use, and cost effectiveness are crucial. It is so customizeable it is ridiculous. It will not replace Excel by any means, but is a strong force in our arsenal of programs that is for sure.

Cons

Absolutely nothing! The product is wonderful beyond belief.

Samanta R.
Industry: Marketing & Advertising

Great tool for remote teams

Reviewed on 2019-08-13

We've been working with Airtable not that long, but it has improved our workflow so much, allowing our remote and in-house team to have a common format on the way we organize and schedule our assignments.
Everyone loves spreadsheets now!

Pros

Airtable has allowed my team to create really complex calendars which can be updated as the process progresses.
It allows to make assignments and it sends automatic mails to the ones involved.
Everyone can see the changes that are made within the document and who had made them.
Airtable is great, it has really powerful tools for creating tables that you can customize and adapt perfect to any need of your team.

Cons

Since it has a lot of options, it is difficult to learn, specially for people that are not familiar with spreadsheets.

Pamela S.
Industry: Museums & Institutions

Baby Boomer who loves Airtable

Reviewed on 2019-08-26

Time management has been a huge issue here as we are a non-profit and I only work part time.
The tools in airtable have helped with productivity and also allowed me to share the data from my outreach quickly with other departments.

Pros

I use airtable in both gathering information from staff and the public, in a variety of ways.
I am responsible for the accounting process in our department of 14 and we use airtable as way to record all expenditures, track different account purchases, as well as balance my monthly credit cards for the business office. I also manage tours and a speakers program and am able to streamline the request, scheduling and communication both in house and with the public in a organized and branded way.

Cons

I am still trying to figure out how to quickly share blocks and am having trouble doing so.

Chais M.
Industry: Printing

More than a simple relational database...

Reviewed on 2018-10-12

We literally run our $500,000/year custom apparel & accessory small business (24 Hour Tees) exclusively with Airtable (and many other excellent third-party tools that play nicely with Airtable) #BusinessIntegrations #BusinessHacking

Pros

We are thrilled with Airtable and it is the only way we start out a new business idea!

When we need to track data for new businesses, tracking everything a business can track (customer info, transaction details, service tickets, timesheets, profits & losses, etc.), we choose Airtable because we love the convenience it provides our team!

#WeFeelLikeDatabaseManagers #NotReallyButClose

Cons

In its current version, Airtable is a bit on the consumer side...

If Airtable added the following features I believe more businesses would use it exclusively as their business database:
- Linking Records Between Bases
- Allowing Commenting via the API
- Better internal (templated) CRM Management (User Front Front End - Possible GUI interface like your 'form' tool)
- Webhooks from specific views

Sharon S.
Industry: Computer Software

Flexible tool that takes spreadsheets to an entirely new level

Reviewed on 2019-06-07

Airtable has allowed us to changed how we manage and organize content by creating a flexible, filterable library. This has filled a huge gap for us with a very easy to use solution.

Pros

Airtable is extremely flexible and can be customized in seemingly limitless ways. Airtable offers a lot of templates to get you started with how to use the solution, and you can easily customize or create your own Airtable from there. The organization capabilities of Airtable are unmatched and the ability to create a variety of fields (e.g. open text, check box, date, image, etc.) opens up so many possibilities. Finally, the ability to easily filter within Airtable using contains as well as and/or functionality makes it great for narrowing down information.

Cons

Airtable is extremely easy to use, but it doesn't always look that way, which can make it a bit intimidating for new users.

Jason S.
Industry: Consumer Goods

Use this to run my whole company

Reviewed on 2020-04-02

Overall its been great and their support is the best out there!

Pros

Great customer support. You can customise this to anything you want it to be.
Their API is great as well as their documentation and support

Cons

The only problem I have with this software is the terrible iOS applications. If I want to use it on my iPad I do no use the app but rather the web browser due to the lack of functionality.

Mitxel T.
Industry: Military

Airtable was a lifesaver for my operations and sharing a common picture with the rest of a team.

Used Weekly for 1+ year
Reviewed on 2020-04-23

I love Airtable and I have used it for a number of things since I have found it.

Pros

I love that it was compatible with military networks and i was able to use it to disseminate information and basically provide updates to everyone on my team. I love the multiple different ways to layout the information and what that all looks like. I love the ability to generate forms.

Cons

The only downside to this product is that some of the advanced features are a subscription cost. I really love the product, I just wish that there was maybe a one time fee for unlimited access for life instead of the subscription model.

Kosta K.
Industry: Market Research

It just works...

Reviewed on 2020-12-21

Perfect

Pros

AirTable just works. The thing you would compare it to would be something like Google Sheets but really it's more of something in the middle between Microsoft Access or some DB application and Google Sheets. What's amazing is just how simple it is to setup - it's hard to describe an application where everything "Just works" but AirTable is that application.

Everytime I'm not sure if AirTable will work with what I'm trying to do - it just does.

There are other substitues coming into the market now and I've tried them but you can't compare them to AirTable and its breadth of integrations/apps and even its own scripting language.

What's great about AirTable is that it's so easy to start using but has a very high degree of flexibility where you can pretty much do anything you want to do with it.

I use it for pretty much everything - both for personal use, habit tracking, daily planning and calendar allocation, project management, CRM. Basically anytime I have data that needs tobe inputted and tracked/modified in some way AirTable always pulls through for me.

So in summary
* Very easy to get started
* Can handle more complex requirements
* Cool interface / friendly
* Cool apps to extend your data

Cons

Nothing I can really think of from the top of my head.

Linda B.
Industry: Investment Management

Exceptional blend of spreadsheet and relational database

Reviewed on 2018-08-29

Our investment business has grown at an exponential rate and I needed infrastructure to handle it. The problem was that I was so busy handling the increased business that I didn't have time to figure out the structure of a database, find someone to build it and hope that it covered everything, esp. since we were changing our business terms as new information came in. With Airtable, I could quickly build a relational database to house info & test structure

Pros

This is so simple to use that you can be operational in literally minutes and yet it has the power of a relational database. The customer service is exceptional in my opinion because you can get a personal response within a day.

Cons

It does have some limitations, esp. in the area of printed reports. I believe they have a new feature to address this but I haven't tried it yet. I would also like to be able to secure various tables that contain sensitive info and so far I haven't been able to do that.

Industry: Financial Services

A ton of features but lots of time to learn how to use them

Reviewed on 2020-08-28

I primarily use Airtable as a ticketing system and project tracking system. By linking it with a google form and with Jira I have been able to create a place where my team can easily track incoming requests, track progress, and provide status updates to stakeholders. I'll continue to use Airtable but have a nagging feeling I could get more out of it but I just don't have time to dedicate to diving deep into some functionalities.

Pros

Anybody can jump into Airtable who has used Excel or Google Sheets and immediately feel comfortable with the basic functionalities in Airtable. You can quickly create sheets, sync with external applications, and then really use the power of Airtable to create customized workflows.

Cons

There is a ton of functionality in Airtable and many many ways for you to sync with third party applications, but with so much functionality available it is not easy to figure out how best to use Airtable to its full potential. They offer good resources for training but it can still take some time to figure out how best to use Airtable to meet your needs.

Likelihood to recommend: 7.0/10