1,116 reviews

Airtable

Cloud-based organization & collaboration tool

4.7 /5 (1116 reviews) Write a Review!

1,116 reviews
Joseph A.
  • Industry: Leisure, Travel & Tourism

Review of Airtable

Reviewed on 2021-01-14

Excellent experience. I have technical background, but this is a well designed app. Integration with other apps is fantastic.

Pros

Accessible from anywhere, easy to use, inexpensive, full featured, great integration with other apps and services.

Cons

iOS version in iPad lacking full functionality, inability to copy / paste records, even though web version supports this.

• Industry: Religious Institutions

• Customer Support Software

Completely indispensable for us!

Reviewed on 2020-05-06

Despite it's cost and some features we'd still like to see, Airtable is an absolute no-brainer for us. We can track our constituents and their engagement so much more easily than with Excel or a random CRM that doesn't really match our needs. I also have moved most of my content planning, resource banking, quote caching, and attendance taking to Airtable. It's honestly SO multifunctional!

Pros

First: It's a database that is actually aesthetically attractive. AND it's easier to use and manipulate than Excel. AND you can custom build what you need, rather than finagling a pre-built CRM for your specific needs. Also all of the different visual ways of looking at the data/records are key.

Cons

There are some features that are still lacking. Like the ability to read what's in a cell and do something with that information. It's also quite expensive, especially for a non-profit like us.

Jonathan H.
  • Industry: Events Services

AirTable is an Advanced Form of Excel

Reviewed on 2019-08-15

My work team uses airtable as opposed to Excel or Google Sheets to keep shared records, and this has been very helpful to us especially in keeping lots of complex information in one place that we can easily sort through. Because it has more features than a traditional excel sheet, like attaching documents or pictures, it is an easier way to keep track of documents than a traditional Cloud Storage system like Dropbox or Google Drive. It also gives us lots of special "blocks" that we can use (but are still exploring) so we can continue to improve our workflow and data spread.

Pros

I love that this works as an Excel document, but you can also do so much more with it - attach documents, check boxes, drop down options, and so many more things. It has great integrations with other platforms, and is easy to set up for various different functions that Excel could never offer. I also love the extra blocks you can use that give you more options for functions, such as creating pivot tables, sending texts, keeping an organizational chart, and even setting a countdown! It makes me want to explore more ways I can use this to help make our workflow better within my work team.

Cons

It does take a little getting used to at first if you are used to excel. It's not quite a replacement for Excel if you are trying to make a traditional sheet with borders, and it also isn't as easy to highlight select cells and copy/paste them in other places like in an Excel sheet. It also doesn't really support traditional Microsoft formatting which is kind of annoying when you try to copy information in. But seeing as how this is a better system for containing information, its pros outweigh the cons and you can easily use Excel and Airtable at the same time to support your various needs.

• Customer Support Software

Wonderful solution to spreadsheets, needs more restrictive access, tech support needs...

Reviewed on 2017-10-10

We can have many views of the same data in one place without duplicating the data. Each person can have their own view based on the data they need to see. The biggest benefit we've had is time saving and the ability to access this data anywhere, at any time.

Pros

Last year I was on the search for a solution to replace XLS and found Airtable. Previously we were using microsoft xls, as we found even GoogleDocs didn't work for our purpose.

We produce hundreds and up to thousands of products for one event and previously used xls to keep track of production and for by line item invoicing purposes. The ability to have all the data in one spreadsheet but then filter things out in a specific view that allows you to see only what you want is useful and makes it so you don't have to have multiple spreadsheets with the same data. For example we have an invoicing view, that's filtered easily to show costs. Then a post event inventory view where clients can see what they can use for next event. We also have a QC view where our team members can easily QC the product without all the unnecessary data in their view/way. We also use filters to easily show us what still needs to be approved and what is left to be produced for the event. It's a been a great way for us to manage large scale projects and our clients love it. Also, the fact that it has a phone app is helpful to us since we work events, we are constantly on the road traveling and not always at a computer.
The ability to download the spreadsheets is simple also, so when I need to create an XLS file to accompany our invoice, this is simple and easy for me to do.

Cons

The #1 priority for improvement that every Airtable user complains about is the lack of restrictive access. Access is "all or nothing" so if I give my clients "Read" access, they're only limited to one view and can't edit or note anything. If we give them "Edit" access they are able to edit anything in our entire database, including our pricing, so that doesn't work. We want, for example, a customer to be able to go and note/change info for one column and not be able to add/remove anything. For example they could go in and put "approved" for a line item that they approve for production, but can't change any cells not in that column.

I'm not confident in their tech support at this time . Recently we had some data loss issues that created mass concern. We added data to specific cells in an existing spreadsheet, and the next day the data was gone. Airtable keeps record of any change in a cell and there was no record of us ever entering the data, like it never happened. We provided specific examples and their explanation of "packet loss" on our end makes zero sense. Based on data that we entered that day, we added a photo, then added a date, photo, then date... all the photos stuck, the dates did not, so it would mean that every other second a packet data loss happened? They still haven't given a suitable answer to this, and if you can't rely on the data you enter being there, that's made us think twice about moving to the paid version, which we were about to.

Jamie W.
  • Industry: Facilities Services

• Customer Support Software

Airtable is great at organizing complex data that you need to interact with dynamically

Reviewed on 2017-07-31

Airtable saves us time, but it also saves us money. We're able to better manage resources when we can see how everything connects. That's what Airtable is great at. We had the data, but we were missing the lenses to put it in perspective. Having a column of dates in a spreadsheet is useful; being able to see those entries distributed on a calendar with a single click is a game-changer.

Pros

We've migrated several of our Operations Office processes to Airtable and couldn't be happier. Not only is Airtable easy to use, it's easy to integrate. It might not do everything we need, but by linking tools, like Zapier, it's so simple to manipulate data and let the data trigger actions in the other software that we use every day.

For example, we've built a base to track key distribution for our 210,000 sq. ft. facility. We have a table with records for each of the 858 unique keys in our inventory, which links to a table where we track all of the keys issued to individuals. With filtered views, it's easy to see who has past due keys or which rooms are at the greatest security risk. And because it's all web-based, we don't have to worry about who checks in a key because everyone's base is updated in real time.

As a relational database, Airtable lets you establish connections between two complex tables. We can click on a person to see all of the keys they've been issued, or we can click on a key to see all of the people who have it.

Not only are our processes more efficient, they're actually more productive. Working from a standard spreadsheet, the type of reporting we're doing now would not be feasible. With Airtable, getting the answer is almost as easy as asking the question, and with the mobile app, I can ask the question wherever I am in the building--or outside of it.

Cons

Airtable has a great feature set as a relational database, particularly for the price and ease of use, but there are some limitations--not enough to cost a star in any one category though. The nine bases we've built so far were all things that we migrated from a spreadsheet system. From that perspective, Airtable is missing the ability to use conditional formatting and it's a little lean on available functions in the formula field. So far I've managed to find workarounds for almost everything, but they're not always the most elegant. Despite these limitations, we recently upgraded to an annual paid plan after six months on the free plan.

Nick O.

Airtable for Non-Profit Management

Reviewed on 2019-09-16

With Airtable, our non-profit staff of ~25 employees went from chatting server locations of files over GChat to having a central location for event planning; communications and outreach planning and tracking; managing ~50 grants with thousands of individual deliverables per year; and coordinating a participatory research network. With Airtable, you can build a database or project management system without any prior database management or programming experience. You are, of course, limited by your own ability to design a system that works.

Pros

I like the ability to be able to customize a complex database/project management system without having to know any programming. It's familiar to users, because it looks kind of like Sheets or Excel, but the built in functionality makes it easier to use. We really like the chat on individual records, so when we have a conversation, we know exactly what it's about. We also like the ability to dynamically link records and therefore integrate all sorts of event planning and data management.

Cons

We'd like to see an ability to manage user access on a more granular level. We'd also like the ability to link bases.

Quick and Light Collaboration Tool

Reviewed on 2019-08-13

I personally really like the design and interface, since I have a fair amount of familiarity with CRM and PMS. It's a good collaboration platform that I made use for with my personal team in my department and allowed us to collaborate with clients as well, without exposing them to some of our more personal project management systems.

Pros

I think it's pretty light and responsive. The UI is definitely a lot more intuitive than most software and platform that I use. The project tracker really reminds me of a JIRA board, and with my team having that kind of a background, it's really been easy to integrate them. But otherwise, it really reminds me also of a spreadsheet platform, just online.

I also have to trial every software before I use it, and it's nice to have a free trial that I can sign up for without really needing to speak to a sales associate.

Cons

I think the user permission (such as editing access) is not as well defined as it could be. Also, this seems to be an issue once you get more accustomed to Airtable, is that someone may want to move an airtable but ends up having to just copy the entire thing and perform a bit more manual copy-paste-delete actions.

Alexandros B.
  • Industry: Automotive

Excel on Steroids with using Databases

Reviewed on 2021-01-23

Overall, Airtable helped us to better organize our work and even gave us the opportunity to hold information in a way that was not possible before helping, not only us, but new members in the team coming after us as well.

Pros

Being able to link data from different tables was bliss for use in organizing the Fund Raising for our team. Each company was associated with their employees, and also with our team member responsible for communicating with them. Also, every person was connected to their contact info in different tables and we kept track of every interaction, etc. Being able to link this kind of data allowed us to represent complicated data that we were not able to do with Excel. In addition, we used Airable for task management for the same reasons. It basically has endless possibilities.

Cons

I found out that after setting up all of the tables and the columns with info and fields to fill, it was quite difficult for lots of my colleagues to keep up with it and it took them quite a while to get used to the way things were working with Airtable. Also, the mobile app needs quite some work to meet the functionality of the web application

Damian Y.
  • Industry: Religious Institutions

Fully customizable database

Reviewed on 2020-10-13

We use it to manage almost every single area of our weekly running. Leaders update their group's attendance online, people submit their details and photo online and as mentioned above we use it from COVID-19 health checks and contact tracing.

Pros

When the pandemic hit, within a few weeks, we had a custom-made solution which allowed members to do the health check from home and sign in and out of venues all using a QR code or weblink.

We now have a COVID protocol with contact tracing and have been infection free for 5 months thanks to our AirTable App which does health checks from home and contact tracing also.

Cons

As a charity with many volunteers, if we used the paid version, it would be very expensive. We are using the free tier at the moment but will need to upgrade soon.

David K.
  • Industry: Computer Games

Honestly, the cure for the common spreadsheet

Reviewed on 2020-05-26

I didn't like Google Sheets,and I didn't like sharing Excel or .csv files all the time through Dropbox, Slack or email. Airtable is gloriously pleasant to use. After using for several years, no bug has ever intruded on me when using Airtable, which makes a very small list of products I've ever used on a regular basis.

I don't use other Software as a Service tools anymore for CRMs, email lists, or really data tracking of any kind. Everything like this can be done in Airtable in a way that is flexible and fully understood and clear. My most common recommendation is for people to just start by using Airtable for free simply for a shared grocery list, then go from there.

Pros

Airtable doesn't even require a tutorial, pricing is easy, the forms are far easier to distribute and embed than other similar tools, and their integration with really every kind of data I use is seamless. Also Airtable's Blocks blow my mind.

Cons

I feel like their pricing page could be a bit more immediately intuitive and simplified, though that's seriously nitpicking because it's better than most pricing pages. Also, the Universe functionality isn't as widespread across different fields as it might seem at first, if people are only looking to use templates from other people.

Tim H.
  • Industry: Wholesale

• Customer Support Software

Airtable--a simple to use solution for keeping track of your dats.

Reviewed on 2019-05-28

I keep track of tons of things for my business on Airtable: Orders log (with order profitability for each order), purchase order # generator and log, Parts Inventory and re-order, tax documents (uploaded0 and a lot more.

I come up with new uses every once in a while. Airtable is a reasonably priced swiss-army knife for my business information.

Pros

-It is super easy to set up. It looks like a spreadsheet--and you can use it that way, but its much more powerful (and simple for some things)
-It shares data very well for my small group. I can actually see someone typing in characters when they are making changes to a *base* that I'm using.
-Data can be displayed in many ways: Grid, Form, Calendar, Kanban, Gant.
-Data can be manipulated, sorted and filtered in almost any way. You can save your "views". This is far easier to do here than in Excel.
-I often import huge spreadsheets to sort, filter and separate data to make more understandable reports.

Cons

There are a couple of improvement that would make sense:
-When you add a new record in a base the sheet does not autorefresh and sort. You have to manually go to the menu and sort to get everything in the right order.
-The formatting for printing grid reports could be improved. They look great on the screen, but not quite as nice on paper. (maybe I missed some trick)

• Industry: Government Administration

• Customer Support Software

Great project management software with add-ons

Reviewed on 2020-08-19

Simply put, Airtable allows us to be more productive and organized. We can do more and track our progress easily.

Pros

Our team loves Airtable and uses it in several ways (tracking and assigning projects, collecting data, communications requests) and it's agile and easy to use across the board. We love the multiple views and ability to connect records across a base.

Cons

You pay by user per workspace, so that means if you have teams that work in more than one area, you would need to pay for them twice. Additionally, you can connect items within a base, but you currently cannot connect bases.

Alicia D.
  • Industry: Law Practice

• Customer Support Software

Airtable is the best for keeping my business organized

Reviewed on 2020-06-19

Airtable has allowed me to centralize and organize complex data. I have tried a lot of software to manage my projects and cases. I was mostly using project management software (like Basecamp) combined with spreadsheets and One Note notebooks. I have been able to consolidate all of this into one place, with more flexibility. I cannot say enough about how great a product Airtable is for a small business owner.

Pros

I love Airtable! It has a lot of amazing features, so it is hard to pick the best one. It's flexible for organizing, linking, sorting, rearranging, and managing data across all kinds of business areas. It has all the manipulation capabilities of a database and is easier to see than traditional databases or spreadsheets. My employees adapted to it easily. I can control access and layouts. I have used it for everything from budgets to inventory to customer management to case management to campaign mapping. I can run complex legal applications. Honestly, it's amazing. And it is mostly free too!

Cons

I wish that you didn't have to pay for licenses by bases. I have a bunch of bases in order to organize departments and projects. A few of my employees are on most of them. So to keep costs under control, I have to keep data limited. Also, you cannot bulk export attachments. So I have to keep uploaded attachments backed up elsewhere.

Quinn B.
  • Industry: Photography

I was able to make the perfect custom CRM + Project Manager with Airtable

Reviewed on 2018-12-11

It's given me the tools / building blocks to make any kind of table to use. I use it for business stuff, but also for keeping track of Christmas gifts I want to get my family, validating ideas for apps, and a place I can put canned email templates all in one place.

Pros

I love that I can control and customize every part of an Airtable base in order for me to make a CRM that had exactly what I wanted, and nothing that I didn't want. Some of the metrics I keep track of for my business aren't available in some CRMs, and some CRMs that DO offer those metrics have so many other features and everything just becomes way too overkill and cluttered. Not only could I make a CRM that had exactly what I wanted, I could also make it work as a Project Manager, so literally everything I need for my business (Projects, Project Status, Client, Contact Info, Project Rate, Shoot Date, Deadline, Total Lifetime Client Spend, Thank You Letter Sent To Client, etc.) are all in one spot. There's no extra fluff I don't want, and all of the info I know I need.

Cons

The only downside is that records in separate bases at this time can't be linked. This is a huge request by users on the Airtable community forum, so as soon as that is implemented, Airtable will be a near-perfect service in my opinion.

Craig R.

Simple Database-Like Platform Missing Key Features

Reviewed on 2019-08-29

I've found many great personal / small data organization uses for Airtable, but it has never ended up being the right fit for multi-user custom tools or customer facing information due to its limitations.

Pros

Airtable is user-friendly and gives spreadsheets super powers (even in its free tier). While a user can do much of what Airtable does using a spreadsheet, no scripting languages are needed to turn it into a basic relational database-type platform. Boosting this cause, Airtable also offers an extensive built-in and user-generated templates library, allowing anyone to easily spin up, say, a CRM system or asset manager.

Cons

Even though Airtable does a lot easily, it is missing a lot of minor functionality (such as customizing the URL field to show a clickable, friendly href name) on top of limited use outside of internal / personal data organization. The expensive, paid "Blocks" add additional features, but ultimately it does not have the integrations (relies on Zapier mainly) and customization needed to use as a web app-type backend. Ultimately, even with all the great functionality, there are free no-code platforms or web-based spreadsheets that end up being ultimately more powerful due to add-ins and extensive platform integration.

Erin M.
  • Industry: Higher Education Software

Wonderful, Free Solution for Relational Databases and Mobile Apps

Reviewed on 2018-08-10

I use Airtable frequently both personally and professionally. It's an easy system for organizing anything that involves digital attachments, so it has a wide range of applications in my job in educational assessment. I also love using it to build mini-mobile apps for personal projects -- I've used Airtable to build "apps" which worked flawlessly for buying a car and for managing my Fantasy Football drafts in real-time. I'd previously tried doing the same in spreadsheets but Airtable worked much better for things that needed to be edited on-the-fly such as a live draft.

Pros

Airtable is, quite simply, my single favorite piece of software that I use. It's just as easy to use as a spreadsheet, but infinitely more powerful. It's intuitive to figure out and incredibly flexible. I can use it both to create powerful relational databases but also often use the mobile format to create tables which work more like apps. There are many different views, all of them useful, and it's easy to switch back and forth when needed. I love Airtable.

Cons

I wish more of the views were available on the mobile version. While it's still plenty powerful using only the default view, I'd really love the mobile version to support the calendar and kanban views in particular. The functions are also not as extensive as in spreadsheets or other database programs. I'd love to have the ability to choose one "block" (plug-in) for each free table, as Trello allows free users to do.

• Company size: 1,001-5,000 Employees

• Customer Support Software

Makes my work so much easier

Reviewed on 2019-07-20

I stumbled upon Airtable and gave it a shot. I’ve reached a point where I use it for most times when I would have ordinarily used Excel.

Pros

It really helps me organize my data, plan my projects, and organize my work. It makes it really easy to share and collaborate as well.

Cons

I think a few more features would be really great. Sometimes I’d really like to use a Kanban board for multiple different sheets within the same base.

Lisette M.
  • Industry: Design

• Customer Support Software

Like a spreadsheet on steroids

Reviewed on 2019-10-15

A nice, user friendly option for to-dos and tracking studio tasks as they move from one person to another. Colourful, adaptable, very nice!

Pros

Airtable is super adaptable, and as a result we use it for a lot of projects and lists. The additional filters and views mean people can customise to what works for you.

Cons

There are some really cool functions I just don't get how to use. I'd like some more examples and tutorials. There's also an annoying feature that the Kanban view doesn't show all of the text, and you have to click into the card to view, which kind of defeats the purpose of kanban.

Anson L.
  • Industry: Transportation/Trucking/Railroad

• Customer Support Software

This is a great product if you need to keep your team organized

Reviewed on 2021-02-04

Airtable is a great application. We use it daily here and I don't think I could live without it now that we have it and have integrated it so heavily in our marketing department. Would recommend to others.

Pros

I really enjoy the smart features of this product. For our company we like multiple tables together so everyone knows each others work loads. We use this as a creative and copy request system, keep track of products, blog content, etc. We can easily set timelines of when things will be expected and keep track of what's coming through the pipeline.

We also use it as a database for vendors and who to reach to. It's like Excel but WAY more sophisticated.

Cons

I don't really have any cons for this product. I wish they had some plans in between what they currently have set up. We don't really fit into their plus plan and we don't need the breathe of their Pro plan. Wish there was something in between, but I do suspect will upgrade soon.

Jessi F.
  • Industry: Food & Beverages

Excellent Tracking Tool

Reviewed on 2021-03-26

It's a really great collaboration tool. Sales, marketing, and distributors can all use the tool and get the info they need either on a high level or down in the detail about the last visit to the store or the most effective event rep.

Pros

We love using Airtable - it's especially great for tracking our promotional calendars, event teams, store lists, and linking them all together.

Cons

I wish the blocks had a little more customizability and easier ability to share with those who aren't Airtable users.

Zoe J.

Really good features, very limited in the free version though

Reviewed on 2020-02-03

We use airtable mainly for collaborating across teams and storing and organizing information. It's very robust and has many good features for filtering and customizing data. We use the feature that allows us to insert images into cells as well and that's super helpful. I use airtable pretty much every day and it helps our teams a lot!

Pros

I like all the of functionality, especially across tabs and all the formulas. I wish there was a way to link tables to each other, but you can only link across tabs. But overall, the different column types and options are great. I like the ability to add different views. I also like to be able to share the tables with other people without them having to have edit access.

Cons

Some of the permission levels are too restrictive. It would be great if there were more options or customizable permissions. The free version is super limited, so you really have to buy the license if you want to use it. It's also really easy to override changes or delete things when collaborating with a lot of users, so some extra failsafes would be great to add. A way to link records from other tables in addition to just other tabs within the same table would be super helpful.

Amanda S.

Such a Powerful Spreadsheet

Reviewed on 2020-09-29

I've have an incredibly positive experience so far. I was looking for something just like this but didn't know it actually existed. I use spreadsheets to organize so many things and this allows me to do just that and more.

Pros

I like that I can link documents in this spreadsheet so there is one place to get all the information I need. Rather than having documents scattered all over in different folders and platforms - they're linked right in the one database. I also like that I can easily share this with others and use it to collaborate on projects - a very important perk considering my office continues to work remotely.

Cons

So far, I honestly have no complaints. I was looking for a place to organize information or projects and this has allowed me to do just that with the added bonus of linking outside documents.

David K.

• Customer Support Software

Great tool for almost anything

Reviewed on 2019-04-22

All in all, it's been a lifechanging app that allows me to do a lot of things that I previously had to use myriad other disparate apps to do. The focus on a clear, thoughtful UI and an open, extensible API hooked me in and made me really realize the value of an awesome API, especially paired with Zapier.

Pros

It can do a LOT of things really well, has an excellent API, and a simple, intuitive structure. I've personally found dozens of use cases. You can use it like a Swiss Army Knife to build your own workflows and tools.

Cons

It does not yet have rich text field or markdown, you cannot link between bases yet, and the Slack notifications could be better. A rich text field could enable me to use Airtable instead of tools like OneNote/EverNote.

An All Around LifeSaver!

Reviewed on 2018-09-18

Airtable overall is hands down the best resource I have at my fingertips. I couldn't ask for a more versatile software.

Pros

This software houses everything I need. I use it to track my bills and finances, to house my workflow both at work and at home. To communicate quickly and easily with my co-workers and also as a resource for all the volunteer work I do. As a mom of a child with special needs, and a busy working mom too, everything can get very muddled and out of sync. Airtable lets me keep it all together and helps me not to miss all the little details that keep my days running.

Cons

I wish there were more templates for household things, but for the most part, I can create anything I need within the airtable system.

• Industry: Management Consulting

Love the flexibility of Airtable 😍

Reviewed on 2019-08-19

I use Airtable for hiring, podcast submissions, content management - you name it!

Pros

I love how you can make the same information display in a variety of ways like Kanban, Gallery, and blocks. It helps to sort + filter as well depending on what we are using the information for.

Cons

The paid plan for more people to use the bases seems astronomically high. I love the platform, however the fact my team has to use my login versus having their own to be able to edit, makes it super unhelpful.